DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Time for a new Sub

DjFingerblast 9:55 PM - 18 November, 2013
Like the title says.. its time for me to pick up a new sub. Mostly for bars, backyard parties, indoor house parties.. nothing really huge.

Currently i have 2 mackie th15 for tops and a mackie swa1501 sub. I'm finding the swa1501 just isnt getting as loud as i would like it to be. In certain scenarios it does its jobs well.. but as of recent i find myself playing on concrete more than often.. and it quickly becomes unimpressive.

Right now i'm currently looking at the Mackie hd1801 ... and i know 80 percent of you will give me guff and say the HD series breaks down... but from my reading of newer batches they don't seem to be failing as they once have. But of course, i am open to suggestion (after all, that is why i am posting on this forum)

Also bear in mind i need a compact 18 inch sub around the 800-1000 dollar price range.. width is the problem really, as it still needs to fit in the backseat or trunk of a car.
DJ Nightmare Productions 10:42 PM - 18 November, 2013
Why not just add another one of the current subs you have?
DJ Nightmare Productions 10:42 PM - 18 November, 2013
because those mackie tops.. aren't that great either.. lol Sorry to break it to you.. If you get a good sub.. they won't keep up
DjFingerblast 10:59 PM - 18 November, 2013
i am aware they are not the greatest.. but they are enough for where i use them. And i would love to bring 2 subs with me if i had the available space to do so, but i do not.. and unless i buy an SUV i do not think i will ever have the space. More than likely i will retire the mackie as a back up sub, or if i have a nice friend that will let me shove some stuff in their car, i will take both with me
DJ GaFFle 12:42 AM - 19 November, 2013
An original speaker for an original thread: www.woot.com
DjFingerblast 12:44 AM - 19 November, 2013
LOL is that real?!
Joee 12:50 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
An original speaker for an original thread: www.woot.com

that this is awesome, does it sound as good as it looks?
Joee 12:51 AM - 19 November, 2013
A light show & a speaker in one, the best speaker ever, never mind it being a pyle
DjFingerblast 12:52 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
A light show & a speaker in one, the best speaker ever, never mind it being a pyle

i'm gonna have to pick up 4
Joee 12:54 AM - 19 November, 2013
^ think of the time you'll save setting up a light show……..time is money
DjFingerblast 12:54 AM - 19 November, 2013
speaking of pyle speakers.. my friend had a pair of those dual 15 cabs for his party.. they were pretty awful... to be fair they were blown out.. and pretty bad.. so i have no idea how they sound in top condition.. but i'm sure its not impressive in any kind of way
DJ Remix Detroit 1:10 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
speaking of pyle speakers.. my friend had a pair of those dual 15 cabs for his party.. they were pretty awful... to be fair they were blown out.. and pretty bad.. so i have no idea how they sound in top condition.. but i'm sure its not impressive in any kind of way

pyle is short for Pyle of Shit!
O.B.1 7:13 AM - 21 November, 2013
I own a JBL prx 618xlf is decent for the price (about $1100) for it's output, size, and weight.
I usually use it along with a pair of the same Mackie 'thumps' you mentioned or else a pair of JBL eonP15.
This set-up works well for those smaller gigs where I am not required to break out the 'big guns'.
DjFingerblast 9:30 PM - 14 January, 2014
Sorry for random Resurrection of this topic.. i had forgotten my password so couldnt get back on here (was auto logged on at work). I instead got rid of my mackie thumps and just ordered some ELX-112p's. I did an event where my tops just werent giving me what i needed.. went through clipping and just couldn't perform as i needed them to.

My buddy just got his own warehouse where i will probably be doing alot of my future gigs.. its the size of small hall.. probably can hold 100-200 (comfortably) people in the main room.. while 50/60 in the side room (where the bar is)
DjFingerblast 9:32 PM - 14 January, 2014
also with that said.. its a place where i can leave my gear.. so i plan on getting dual 18's in the somewhat near future.. will be back then!!!

until then.. i await my elx's =]

thanks everyone