DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Help!!! Work holiday party one hour dance playlist.

frijolefrito 2:14 AM - 17 November, 2013
I was defaulted into doing the holiday music. I'm ipoding it because I want to enjoy dinner and everything. They want one hour for dancing music. The crowd is pretty much all ages ranging from 18 to 50. Just because my wife and all the other spouses love it I'm doing the cupid shuffle (yes a little part of me will die). I need some suggestions of just good dance music. All styles of music okay but no profanity. Clean censored song.

What I've been looking at.

Start with the cupid shuffle.

How I feel by flo ride

summertime sadness

Yah I have no idea what to play.

I normally play the more electronic side of the genres.

Normally I'd hit up sights like this:

www.djbooth.net

throw in some top 40 and that's your house party music. I have no idea how to make a cool highschool dance playlist without old outdated songs.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:55 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
I was defaulted into doing the holiday music.

I will admit, that was an interesting intro....
DJ NoNseNse 7:04 PM - 17 November, 2013
why don't you ask the people throwing the party what they want to hear?
frijolefrito 9:20 PM - 17 November, 2013
I got a numark ns7 ii and showed my co workers hence the default.

Everyone will pretty much want something different
DJ Remix Detroit 9:41 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:

exactly... type up a request sheet and send it around the office. have your co-workers fill it out, hopefully you'll get an hours worth of music, if not, just improv off of the suggestions on the playlist.
Logisticalstyles 10:03 PM - 17 November, 2013
Man, I've been on this current job since the beginning of September and I haven't let anyone know I DJ yet. I'm afraid of being volunteered for situations like this.
Frank Spinatra 10:30 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

exactly... type up a request sheet and send it around the office. have your co-workers fill it out, hopefully you'll get an hours worth of music, if not, just improv off of the suggestions on the playlist.

Exactly, works great on Wedding RSVP's too.
"What's your favourite song to dance to? ____________________________"
Then make something up about wanting it to be THEIR party.

At the end of the day it will be fine, just be clear you're not deejaying, just making a playlist of their requests. If they ever want you to deejay, they can book you.

Hope that helps.
DJ Remix Detroit 10:57 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Man, I've been on this current job since the beginning of September and I haven't let anyone know I DJ yet. I'm afraid of being volunteered for situations like this.

haha... more like volun-told.
raequan 2:24 AM - 18 November, 2013
this will help you out

danza daduro Remix

dont stop the party ft jtr

blurred lines (dj pipes bootleg remix)

Cha cha slide

sexy and i know it (chris james Gangnam style Blend)
lofty 2:55 AM - 18 November, 2013
Use songza
Kidd Kumar 3:22 AM - 18 November, 2013
I would play a wide variety, but your target should be to focus on general billboard hits from the 80's til today. As much as I'm sure you wanna play "electronic" music, I did a similar bday party last week that had mainly 15 - 50 year olds. I thought that i should stick with radio top 40 since their was more teengers/young adults there, but to my surprise - You can never go wrong with the classics. Here's a list of some of the stuff i played that had a great reaction:

Beyonce - Crazy in Love
Beyonce - Independant Woman (perfect for the ladies)
Earth Wind & Fire - September
Earth Wind & Fire - Let's Groove
Mariah Carey - Fantasy
Max a Million - Sexual Healing (Remix)
Michael Jackson - Billi Jean
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Shaggy - Wasn't Me
Shaggy - Angel
2pac - California Love (Clean version are available, download or purchase a radio edit)
Usher - Yeah (Great for the younger/teenage Crowd)
Pitbull - Krazy
Whitney Houston - How will i know?
Bon jovi - living on a prayer
Rihanna - We found Love

and many more, i hope this puts you in the right mindset!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:12 AM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
I got a numark ns7 ii and showed my co workers hence the default.

Everyone will pretty much want something different

Ya, clearly that makes you qualified
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 AM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
I would play a wide variety, but your target should be to focus on general billboard hits from the 80's til today.!

Way to narrow it down
Discobee 8:09 AM - 18 November, 2013
DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat
Discobee 8:10 AM - 18 November, 2013
^^That's at least 4 minutes right there....so just 56 more minutes to go.
RobDJ dotcom 2:17 PM - 18 November, 2013
I am amazed. First A-Trak plays Cincinnati and there's a decent turnout of civilized party people who thugged out at no point (GREAT show btw). Now somebody on this forum asks for help and actually gets a few constructive suggestions. It's starting to look like I was wrong. There may still be hope for the human race.
RobDJ dotcom 2:24 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I got a numark ns7...

Ya, clearly that makes you qualified

Flame on
RobDJ dotcom 2:27 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
I would play a wide variety, but your target should be to focus on general billboard hits from the 80's til today.!

I need to expand my 80's library a bit. Can I get any suggestions on where to find a decent listing?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:44 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
I am amazed. First A-Trak plays Cincinnati and there's a decent turnout of civilized party people who thugged out at no point (GREAT show btw). Now somebody on this forum asks for help and actually gets a few constructive suggestions. It's starting to look like I was wrong. There may still be hope for the human race.

I think it's because we as DJ's at one time or another may have been "Volunteered" to offer our services, and one time or another (simply because we DJ), for something that we may normally have NOT taken...

But due to circumstances beyond our control or our best interests, (like not wanting to turn down your boss' "request"), you feel compelled to do the event.

Like I said -
Quote:
I was defaulted into doing the holiday music

That was an interesting intro....and was wondering how it would be received...
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:55 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's because we as DJ's at one time or another may have been "Volunteered" to offer our services, and one time or another (simply because we DJ), for something that we may normally have NOT taken...

But due to circumstances beyond our control or our best interests, (like not wanting to turn down your boss' "request"), you feel compelled to do the event.

Like I said -
Quote:

I call bullshit in the whole thing, guys only post in the forum is asking for a playlist? GTFOH odds are he one if the guys who stumbled into guitar center aftwr work after work one day, grabbed a controller, and showed up to work telling the company didnt need to hire a dj because hes one and hell do it for free.
Taipanic 8:25 PM - 18 November, 2013
Cupid Shuffle - Cupid
Kiss - Prince
Boogie Shoes - KC & The Sunshine Band
Brick House - Kool & the Gang
Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature
Yeah - Usher
Poison - Bell Biv Devoe
Blurred Lines - Robin Thick
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Low - Flo Rida
Something by Pitbull (does it really matter what?)
Wake Me Up - Chris Brown
Summertime Sadness - Lana Del Rey
A few other current/recurrent EDM tracks
Like A G6 - Far East Movement
Wild Thing - Tone Loc
Wobble - V.I.C.
Royals - Lorde
Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus
Staying Alive - Bee Gees
Some older slow song
Call it a night...
Taipanic 8:34 PM - 18 November, 2013
Also, don't forget:
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
and/or
Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC

You can pay my fee via Paypal, MC or Visa.

This is going to be the new DJ gig - telling other people what to play and when to play it.
You can DL all the music you want but it just doesn't replace experience...
RobDJ dotcom 9:03 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
You can DL all the music you want but it just doesn't replace experience...

+1
DJ Remix Detroit 9:58 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said -
Quote:

I call bullshit in the whole thing, guys only post in the forum is asking for a playlist? GTFOH odds are he one if the guys who stumbled into guitar center aftwr work after work one day, grabbed a controller, and showed up to work telling the company didnt need to hire a dj because hes one and hell do it for free.

I put my money on this ^^^^
frijolefrito 2:46 AM - 19 November, 2013
Thanks for all the help! I think I have a great start. A buddy of mine who also had the same thing happen to him pointed me to two websites but it was HS dance music.

As for my dee-jayness. I started on technics during my raving days and now I'm a father, husband, and bedroom dj. That's why I liked my NS7 and now the ns7 2. Mp3's are cheaper than records ( I don't illegaly download)

I have played a few parties, clubs and a corona bus. I don't claim to be anything and just enjoy mixing. Mainly it's fun having the the little ones dancing around me when I practice. I hope this can clear it up and I appreciate u all helping me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:37 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
and I appreciate u all helping me.

I still think it was your opening line -

Quote:
Quote:
I was defaulted into doing the holiday music.

I will admit, that was an interesting intro....

Congrats, you made it through boot camp....

Don't take that accomplishment lightly....
O.B.1 3:53 AM - 19 November, 2013
as long as your not actually "DJ'ing" the office party, make sure to get $#!+faced drunk and make out with the secretary in the janitor's closet...
DJ VEE 5:03 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
as long as your not actually "DJ'ing" the office party, make sure to get $#!+faced drunk and make out with the secretary in the janitor's closet...

There you go! Call it a equipment user fee for that privilege.