DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 vs Pioneer 900 SRT

Quadi 7:37 AM - 14 November, 2013
I'm caught up in debate over which of the two to purchase: The Rane 62 or the Pioneer 900 SRT.

I'd love any and all feedback on your opinions and/or personal experience with either. Thanks!
Discobee 8:09 AM - 14 November, 2013
Rane 62, more available on board features that will allow you the control over the Serato DJ or Scratch live program.

DJM900 SRT not so much controls.

BTW I am a Pioneer fan, but between the two, you'll want the 62.
DJ Michael Basic 9:17 AM - 14 November, 2013
With the pioneer you'd need to fork out the extra crash for the DDJ-SP1 to get similar (better actually) controls as the rane. The Pioneer is gonna be good for club installs and the 62 is gonna be what individuals buy is my guess.
the_black_one 7:27 PM - 14 November, 2013
more and more i look at it .... buying a Mixer with built in soundcard is a pain in the ass and not as flexible. Trouble shooting ... if the mixer goes down your done .... if and only if i had a back up serato interface would i ever consider a mixer with built in sound card. The other os the cost .... them badboys are getting super expensive ..... I know its quality and all but i just like the flexibility of having separate components.

NM NH
TelosHedge 9:20 PM - 14 November, 2013
we've been shooting out the main differences between the 64 and the 900 srt in another thread. as a whole i feel the 900srt is a great mixer but only if you dont have a 900 nexus already. the 62/64 has more SDJ capable features but also lacks many of the hardware FX the 900 has.

don't forget you dont have to use the onboard soundcard on either mixer to use them. you could simply wire up your serato box like you always have, and consider yourself better prepared for having 2 serato interfaces.
Discobee 9:39 PM - 14 November, 2013
If the 900 Nexus SRT had the Boost Color FX of the new DJM 750, I would've been all over it.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm hoping in a year or two there will be other styles of Pioneer SRT mixers that comes out.
ninos 1:44 AM - 15 November, 2013
Rane faders/customer service. That is all.
DJ Unique 2:01 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:

Yep.
the_black_one 2:05 AM - 15 November, 2013
coming from a rane guy for about 15 years ... i really like the innofader better than the rane faders

NM NH
Quadi 4:57 PM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
we've been shooting out the main differences between the 64 and the 900 srt in another thread.

Can you post a link to that thread plz?
SELECT 5:29 PM - 15 November, 2013
Read and see the review here-
serato.com

THe
Quote:
I'm caught up in debate over which of the two to purchase: The Rane 62 or the Pioneer 900 SRT.

I'd love any and all feedback on your opinions and/or personal experience with either. Thanks!

This choice solely relies on you and how you play. You pick the mixer that best suits your style and the music you play. Both mixers use magnetic faders, but they have different curves. If you scratch you'll want the 62 just because the crossfader curve is made for it. Also if you constantly play out with other DJs then the 62 is the best choice because you can use two laptops individually. The SRT is a dope mixer tho so its really up to what your needs are.
Jairen 12:41 AM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

X3. Nuff said.
ninos 2:28 AM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
coming from a rane guy for about 15 years ... i really like the innofader better than the rane faders

NM NH

Ive rocked inofaders before too, used to have one on my pioneer djm700. Still like the feel of rane better
DJ Starjack 9:28 AM - 6 April, 2014
The clubs all have the Pioneer's. The Rane's sound better and some like the feel better. It's not really a clear cut choice but I feel you'll be happy with either one and won't have buyer's remorse with either.
the_black_one 3:57 PM - 6 April, 2014
How in the heck is not... 2 sound cards vs 1 sound card...

Nm nh
SELECT 6:14 PM - 6 April, 2014
Quote:
How in the heck is not... 2 sound cards vs 1 sound card...

Nm nh

This. Its everything. We don't live in an age anymore where there is just one DJ per night. Thats a very small percentage in 2014. As far as Im concerned its the best feature on the 62.
Asu 2:07 AM - 12 December, 2014
If the SRT had 2 Usb ports,i'd say ok...compared to the 62 and 64 the SRT short changes you feature wise+Price...Pioneer needs to give it 2 USBs...many of us do gigs with 2 or more DJs.

They have it on the SZ,why not the next 900 or better yet,an updated 909SRT :-)
deejdave 3:57 AM - 12 December, 2014
Rane 64 Vs. 900SRT is a tough one. I own and love both.

Rane 62 Vs. 900SRT is an easy one. I USED to own the 62 but got rid of it once SDJ was 100% stable for me.

I am not a club owner nor do I have a partner. Along with that I am personally not a fan of having others use my gear so this is not something I look for. I have used the dual sound cards on my 64 as well as SZ for a second laptop for myself though.

As far as the necessity for the SP1 with the Pioneer mixer...................... I 100% agree. I also feel it is a must for the Rane mixers though after using one. First the cue buttons (as well as some other controls) on the Rane mixers are the pits and second performance pads have become a staple in my workflow so again this is NOT an advantage for RAne IMO.

Just my opinions on this. They are both great but I do personally use the SRT all the time with the 64 standing by. I do (need) to use Traktor & Rekordbox as well though so this plays a large factor. Traktor can be done with the 64 although not as easily but Rekordbox can ONLY be done with the SRT.
Niro 11:37 AM - 12 December, 2014
Rane 62 all the way, so much more control. Unless you need 4 channels, 62 hands down. All of the controls on board and with SDJ, the ability to control other software or midi everything on the mixer. I use to control ME with either dicers or a midi fighter, but with the ability to Midi out with SDJ, I've ditched them both. Cue buttons are on point and only having to hook up one USB is really nice.

2 USB ports are really handy for tag team, or switch over, it was a nightmare before, even with a 4 channel mixer and 2 SL boxes. Now it's a flip of the switch. The 62 is laid out really well, yes the SRT is easier to learn, probably because there's not much to learn. If you need 4 channels and don't mind carrying extra gear, then SRT might be for you. IMO thou, Rane 62 all day.
R-Tistic 12:50 PM - 12 December, 2014
I used the Pioner DJM-400 from 2008 all the way up to this year...so I always planned to get the 900 SRT as soon as I heard about it. Before it was even announced, I felt like "man...if they built Serato into this DJM-400....I'd be in Heaven!" Unfortunately...all they did was built Serato into the regular Pioneer, and didn't add much else.

I almost got the 900, but decided on the 62 the day of....I watched enough videos, and somehow leaned towards the 62. I always loved the Pioneer's effects, but I realized the 62 had the same ones, and even better because it routes the BPM of the song immediately to the channel, and you don't have to switch over the channel you want the effects on.

Then, the two USB....it's waaaaaay too helpful. Many of us don't care because we're thinking of using it for ourselves...but when you do have 2+ DJ's...man it makes it amazing to switch out.

Then, the cue buttons. Why the heck does Pioneer not have them? We can use them for cue points AND drops. Amazing!

Then the loop buttons.

The ONLY, only thing I prefer about the Pioneer is the fact that there's two mic inputs. This can be important for certain gigs where I don't feel like setting up a separate mixing board.

My protege bought the 900 because I raised him Pioneer...but after using my 62 just for one gig last month, he sold his 900 two days later and got the 62.
Asu 3:26 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
My protege bought the 900 because I raised him Pioneer...but after using my 62 just for one gig last month, he sold his 900 two days later and got the 62.

Yeah it's just so convenient with the 62 or 64 not forgetting the warmer sound of RANE :-) the SZ is the other controller i love on gigs like boat cruises, cause switching is as easy as on a 62/64
Gio Alex 9:47 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Unfortunately...all they did was build Serato into the Pioneer DJM-900, new faceplate, but didn't add much else.

Fixed. Basically.
Mr. Goodkat 10:23 PM - 12 December, 2014
i thought about going from a 900 SRT to the 62 but a few dj friends i talked to didn't have much good to say about it. One had issues with other djs trying to use the 2nd input or just having issues with firmware/software working with other djs computers. They also told me they didnt like the build quality. Both guys that told me are at the head of the class in large city and play all types of gigs(club/touring/opening for big shows/corporate) one with a international touring act that is very well known.

Personally i'm still kind of interested, but does anyone else have a problem with build quality or computer switching(compatibility with the mixer)?
deejdave 10:39 PM - 12 December, 2014
I had two rane 62's. Both suffered from the cue poimt buttons failing. I got rid of both. I generally keep all my gear but they just left a very bad taste in my mouth. The rane 64 is not much better it this dept. but again I don't use the cue point buttons on it anymore as the sp1 is by far a better solution for my needs. The faders are sick tho so it's not the build overall I don't think.
Mr. Goodkat 10:49 PM - 12 December, 2014
i was definitely surprised when they said the quality was bad, because i know one guy still uses a 57 and the other has several mixers and has dj'ed for 25 years and got the 62 for free but has about 2-4 mixers around at any given time.
Asu 1:03 AM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
One had issues with other djs trying to use the 2nd input or just having issues with firmware/software working with other djs computers.

Yes the firmware that is usable for Scratch Live is different from the SDJ version...that's a problem right there for guys still on SL.

SL is super stable on all platforms so many trust it at big gigs more than SDJ due to the dreaded audio dropouts.

if the firmware is wrong on a 62,you got a problem.
Mr. Goodkat 1:05 AM - 13 December, 2014
can one computer run ssl and one sdj with a 62 or does it have to be the same program?
Asu 1:07 AM - 13 December, 2014
one or the other due to required firmware.

So it's either Scratch Live or SDJ which is unfortunate :-(
Niro 1:11 AM - 13 December, 2014
I can say 100% the cue button issues have been fixed on the 62's. And if you had an issue Rane will gladly resolve it for you and not give you the run around.

Firmware will always be an issue now that we have moved into the Tech age of DJing. I know guys still using SSL1.9.2, but that is on the DJ to keep updated on their software or bring their box and can hook into any mixer. I always forward DJ's which mixer they will be using and to also make sure they are prepared. The guys that aren't prepared usually don't DJ that much and it's usually not a big show/deal. Almost every major club I can think of that is doing more then EDM (umbrella term, don't get your panty's in bunch) have either a 62 or 900. I prefer a 62, because I like having my cue point and control all in one area on the mixer. Dicers are cool for Loops rolls, but that gets old really quick and isn't worth the time or extra cabling. 62 all day.
Asu 1:11 AM - 13 December, 2014
so if you have the old firmware that is compatible with SSL...SDJ won't work and vice versa

The 64 and 900SRT are strictly SDJ Tailored though

So 62 is Preferable for the individual DJ cause u can downgrade firmware/re-flash and use SSL or update to a SDJ compatible firmware.
Mr. Goodkat 1:13 AM - 13 December, 2014
thats the thing about getting a SRT, you have SDJ on the sound card, and you can plug in 2 boxes on the other 4 inputs (assuming you just want 2 channel djing not 3-4, but even still you could have 2 boxes with mulitiple 3/4 outs).

plus the onboard efx are post fader.

i dunno, its more than what i like to keep around $$ wise(id be fine with a z2 or 61) but flexibiltiy is nice in live situations.
Niro 1:14 AM - 13 December, 2014
Yes, I've played with a few DJs now using different software on each computer and no hiccups.
Asu 1:19 AM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
I always forward DJ's which mixer they will be using and to also make sure they are prepared.

I also personally call to find out what will be available...i really don't get DJs who don't.

Even if you don't DJ that much...knowing what will be available is big advantage...cause you may end up not spinning...did a gig last year for Sean kingston and Ink and one of the DJs was on SDJ but the venue only had 900 Nexus and SL1 and CDJ2000s NXS...good thing i had an installation file of SL and USB cables so she ended up fine via HID+SL1+Mixer :-)
Niro 1:43 AM - 13 December, 2014
You'd be surprised how many DJ's just don't think about it or honestly don't know how equipment works. Even some of the bigger named DJ's, have very little knowledge about gear and how it actually works. But that's another topic.
ALEX REED 4:26 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
can one computer run ssl and one sdj with a 62 or does it have to be the same program?

I've tested having one computer using Scratch Live and the other Serato DJ and it worked like a charm. Your 62 must be updated to the new firmware in order to do this.
pdidy 8:48 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
i thought about going from a 900 SRT to the 62 but a few dj friends i talked to didn't have much good to say about it. One had issues with other djs trying to use the 2nd input or just having issues with firmware/software working with other djs computers. They also told me they didnt like the build quality. Both guys that told me are at the head of the class in large city and play all types of gigs(club/touring/opening for big shows/corporate) one with a international touring act that is very well known.

Personally i'm still kind of interested, but does anyone else have a problem with build quality or computer switching(compatibility with the mixer)?

Are you serious, I find all of this very hard to believe. I purchased my 62 with the intention of being used by multiple djs switching on and off all night and ive not once experienced any of the issues alleged my your sources. My personal experience with all 62 in my dj circle leads me to NOT trust your sources.
pdidy 9:02 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
I always forward DJ's which mixer they will be using and to also make sure they are prepared.

I always do this which may explain for my lack of firmware/software connection issues.

But no mixer is immune to connection issues caused by "user error" due to lack of communication, proper planning and plain old common sense.......
pdidy 9:08 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
So 62 is Preferable for the individual DJ cause u can downgrade firmware/re-flash and use SSL or update to a SDJ compatible firmware.

bingo, that is a major big deal. In my circles all the pro djs still use SSL BUT the option is very important.
Mr. Goodkat 9:21 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Are you serious, I find all of this very hard to believe. I purchased my 62 with the intention of being used by multiple djs switching on and off all night and ive not once experienced any of the issues alleged my your sources. My personal experience with all 62 in my dj circle leads me to NOT trust your sources.

yes i'm serious. one might even be part of a serato icon's crew.

other guy has consistently won best dj in the city and it was his event that the 62 didnt work with a national guy.

both are friends and i trust their professional opinion as guys that have 40+ years of dj experience between them.
pdidy 9:39 PM - 13 December, 2014
But theres no way to know if the connection issue was actually user error. I personally know djs and some of my dj partners in the biz 20+ yrs who still dont know the basics.

I realize alot of the OG's are computer and serato illiterate so quite often their many yrs in the biz is not a benefit when it come to the technical side of djing.
Mr. Goodkat 9:45 PM - 13 December, 2014
true, and i will say one is more proficient than the other, but the quality issue was brought up by a guy that has had every turntable and mixer for a looonnnng time. he's tech nerd and wouldnt mind me saying that because its not a diss tittle its a respect nerd title.
djattila 9:58 PM - 13 December, 2014
Some needs to open up both and take pics of the guys. The circuit boards and the quality of the parts used and the quality of the soldering .
djattila 9:59 PM - 13 December, 2014
Guts
pdidy 10:00 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
true, and i will say one is more proficient than the other, but the quality issue was brought up by a guy that has had every turntable and mixer for a looonnnng time. he's tech nerd and wouldnt mind me saying that because its not a diss tittle its a respect nerd title.

the build quality WAS in past tense an issue with the cue buttons but has been fixed for so long im a bit surprised the nerd still has a bad one........
Mr. Goodkat 11:17 PM - 13 December, 2014
well, i was just asking him about his impressions since i read the other tweet about it. and the other is not a crazy s talker, and in general is pretty quiet on social media. he just said he thought it was, feature wise ok, but it felt cheap, his opinion, not mine.

i still wanna get a hold of one, but honestly I put my Srt up on clist and havent really got any bites locally and only a couple out of state offers.

really im thinking 61, since i have a SP1 and X1 and new TT or used Tech.
WarpNote 3:24 PM - 14 December, 2014
One minor thing about the 62 is the plastic pot stems IMO,
I just like the feel of the metal stems better, feels less wobbly..
Niro 9:05 PM - 14 December, 2014
I also like the stiffness of the metal pots, but the plastic is more forgiving and not as brittle, less breakage.
Asu 12:56 AM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
i still wanna get a hold of one, but honestly I put my Srt up on clist and havent really got any bites locally and only a couple out of state offers.

really im thinking 61, since i have a SP1 and X1 and new TT or used Tech.

The 61 isn't worth it just get a used 62 for the same price as a new 61.

What I've found is that guys that are used to pioneer only gear will look for any simple reason not to use something unfamiliar like a RANE Mixer...Change can be very very challenging

RANE Mixers require you to actually read the manual....look at the 57SL mixer....thing is still more advanced feature wise that any pio Mixer
Mr. Goodkat 1:52 AM - 15 December, 2014
57 sl is not more advanced than a Pio 900 SRT.

you cant get a 62 used for the price of a new 61 unless you get really lucky or buy from someone that doesnt know pricing.

I've had a 57 in the past(06-10), it was cool, i actually really liked it, but never saw it out after a few years of its initial production 06-9. By then end of that run, if i did see one in the club, the buttons were messed up or the faders were missing caps or eq knobs would be missing or broken or the pots were looser than well, you can come up with an analogy for that.

really wish i just had the cash around to have 2 mixers, but i don't right now.

oh well, talked myself outta that.
deejdave 3:16 AM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
What I've found is that guys that are used to pioneer only gear will look for any simple reason not to use something unfamiliar like a RANE Mixer...Change can be very very challenging

RANE Mixers require you to actually read the manual....look at the 57SL mixer....thing is still more advanced feature wise that any pio Mixer

Had two 62's. Have Rane 64 & 900SRT. I don't agree.
Asu 2:00 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
Had two 62's. Have Rane 64 & 900SRT. I don't agree.

i'm not talking about build quality,i said features...the SRT is basically plug and play...62,64,68 require knowledge...i.e manual

Just do a simple test...get a person that's never used a RANE 57,62,64,68 Mixer and see what i mean...900s are basic mixers with effects,that's it.

This is what i mean...the learning curve is a challenge to some...they prefer basic.
deejdave 9:57 PM - 15 December, 2014
MAYBE with Serato on a fundamental level..................... possibly. DEF didn't need the manual for any of my Rane mixers.................. looked at it maybe once or twice admittedly but same applies for the SRT.

The thing is function & capabilities go hand in hand (for me) and the SRT is native Traktor & Rekordbox as well as all the LAN functions with the CDJ's without ANY software.

On a function by function basis WITH serato sure I'd agree. Then again................. I don't fancy many of these advanced features controls set to begin with thus I use my SP1 in their stead.

Not for nothing these are mixers that are simply adding input devices (or controls) to control the same software.

I just have my preferences is all. I like some features from the SRT I like some from the 64. If I had it my way I would create the best mixer for my purposes using features from both. In the end (for me) the SRT simply offers more of the more important (for me) features is all.
Mr. Goodkat 10:18 PM - 15 December, 2014
the problem is in the real world, when you are in a club/venue setting, being advanced is not really advantageous. if you are at home or at a mobile using your own kit, maybe, but if no club i play at has 62/64/68 whats the point. Sure if you are big dj, you can throw it in the rider or if you are the resident you can come 30 mins early and set it up maybe...

I would say in my area, Pioneer mixers are in the club 10x more often than ranes. While the set up of the PIO mixers is basic, to get everything out of the efx( the efx section plus the color efx) takes some practice. And if someone wants to use nexus CDJS like dave is saying,the Nexus is really a huge win over Rane.

i
DJMark 11:48 PM - 15 December, 2014
I have the latest firmware on three 62 mixers, and haven't seen any issues using Scratch Live 2.5 on them.

There was one firmware release that caused problems, but that was updated months ago.

The newer design of buttons is a definite improvement...I had major problems with the older version buttons, especially in a couple installations.

I now have one 62 RMA'ed for a failing filter pot. I hope that's not an indicator that the pots are going to be failure-prone (they do feel kind of wobbly).
Mr. Goodkat 12:45 AM - 16 December, 2014
how long til it failed? how often do you use the mixer?
WarpNote 1:25 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:

I honestly think that can be said about any "brand fan", be it pio, techs, a&h, denon, rane even vestax a few years ago. From a sound fx view, the Pio 900 has more features than a Rane mixer, and if adding the sp1 to the 900, even more. I used to have a 68 and I sold it to get the 900srt, still miss that mixer. I got a good deal coming up on a used 62, think I'm gonna pull the trigger.
deejdave 1:34 AM - 16 December, 2014
I am surprised you are not going after a 64 yourself
WarpNote 2:55 AM - 16 December, 2014
There is no chance I'd find a used 64 locally...
However, one of my recidencies have one installed,
so I get to play on it once or twice a month :-)
dj_soo 8:41 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes the firmware that is usable for Scratch Live is different from the SDJ version...that's a problem right there for guys still on SL.

SL is super stable on all platforms so many trust it at big gigs more than SDJ due to the dreaded audio dropouts.

if the firmware is wrong on a 62,you got a problem.

latest firmware update fixed this issue.
LargeFarva 5:56 PM - 16 December, 2014
Sold my 62 for a 900SRT.

The 62 is awesome, very capable. Yes, it has some control function built in, but to take advantage of SDJ over SSL, you'll need another controller, anyway.

Obvious answers: if you need scratch live support, 62. Don't know why anyone would stay on SSL, at this point.

If you need four channels: 900SRT.

If you would like four channels but don't require them and prefer SDJ, then it's tougher. Again, you'll need another controller to access featured in SDJ such as slip mode, the FX engine, and the like. I do not suggest remapping the 62, and I even used Dicers for Cueing. The 62's control buttons are solid but I would not rely on them. I didn't use the turnover feature much, so 2 USB soundcard didn't really do much for me, nor do many clubs have one installed.

To me, the 900SRT has everything I need plus better hardware quantize effects, ProLink support in case I ever want to go without Serato and with just CDJs, and a 900 will easily take an Innofader PNP or PNP mini.

Rane does have great CS and faders out of the box.
DJMark 9:02 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Don't know why anyone would stay on SSL, at this point.

Because it's rock-solid stable, and SDJ is not?

Seems like a pretty good reason to me...
Mr. Goodkat 9:09 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Because it's rock-solid stable, and SDJ is not for a very small minority of users?

fixed
LargeFarva 9:16 PM - 16 December, 2014
Serato DJ is much more stable at this point - I have been performing with it since 1.6. Scratch Live actually had some problems with 2.5 and the newest 62 firmware isn't backwards compatible with Scratch Live.

This is just more ambiguous hate from luddites that took years to finally get over to SL after realizing the enormous benefits but somehow see SDJ as some entirely different thing.
Mr. Goodkat 9:28 PM - 16 December, 2014
ssl and ttm 57's. it does work. it does sound awful.
deejdave 9:58 PM - 16 December, 2014
I haven't used SSL since I got everything 100% stable myself......................... that was back at 1.5 with a few minor bugs. Then the bugs were panned out by 1.7 and I am now just left with things I want. TBH I personally noticed no real (stability or sound wise) difference between 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 with my DVS setups. It is VERY possible to have stability in SDJ and can be done by anyone who really wants to. Always remember if you search "Crash" on Serato Scratch Live forums PLENTY shows up. The same could be said about Serato DJ....................... hell probably even more but then again it should be expected being that the majority of Serato users are on SDJ.

I just always like to remind that even IF person A has NEVER had even one 15 second instance of Serato DJ running without crashing this does NOT make the software UNstable. It makes it unstable for them.

On the other hand there are those who can NOT get SSL to run right on their setups yet SSL is called "stable"..................... ask those individuals with crashing issues if they would use that term.

NOTHING wrong with sticking with what you are familiar with but TRUST a lot of good things ARE going on in Serato DJ land and I am a happy resident :) Not trying to piss anyone off or sell anything.................... things ARE and always will be what you make of it here just as it is in life.
deejdave 10:06 PM - 16 December, 2014
That being said function with a software that will no longer receive any features or updates is not something I do any longer. I go after mixers that suit my needs. I am definitely a fan of modular so the SRT was the obvious choice for my primary. Make no mistake I love my 64 as well as my other classic choices. TBH the biggest surprise for me has been the AMX as I have been using it more than the SRT & 64 combined LOL As the title implies I personally don't see a real comparison between the 63 & SRT. They are two different animals IMO.
DJMark 10:23 PM - 16 December, 2014
I'm just going to have to assume that my standards are different than some other people's standards, enough said.
deejdave 11:06 PM - 16 December, 2014
If I did not have a stable environment with SDJ it would not meet my standards either. I created help requests on the two issues I had and BOTH got addressed and fixed. The software had to change to meet my standards not the other way around. Of course I have my opinions on what can be done/added to make the software better suit my needs but overall I am a happy camper.

Working is working right? It can be done.

I do agree on the enough said though. Not trying to derail this thread any further.

By all means back to the mixers....................
Johnnynights 3:16 AM - 18 December, 2014
@LargeFarva how do you like the djm 900 srt compared to your rane 62?

I own a 62 right now but im thinking of making the switch

Any differences in sound between the 2?
LargeFarva 3:59 PM - 18 December, 2014
First, you have to concede use of Scratch Live (or go buy an SL1) to make the switch. Answer that for yourself first. Make sure you are comfortable on SDJ.

They are honestly two different animals. I like them both for different reasons.

Rane sounds better to a lot of ears, for certain sounds, my ears aren't as discerning.

For me, Rane offers nothing Pioneer doesn't but Pioneer has options that Rane doesn't. But if you have different needs, it will likely be different. You may just honestly like more over the others.
deejdave 6:25 PM - 18 December, 2014
Agreed actually I always mention the better (warmer) sound for Rane out of respect. On the vast majority of systems you would never even notice. Typically clubs/bars/etc. are the worst acoustical environments imaginable second to your automobile. LOTS of reflective surfaces yet mixed in with absorbing surfaces.......................... this amounts to an acoustic nightmare.

Many nightclubs even run things in mono without anyone even being able to notice. I have RARELY been able to hear the difference BUT in an controller environment with the right gear it can be done. Let's not pretend the Pioneer sound is crap though. Just brighter.
LargeFarva 5:38 PM - 19 December, 2014
I'll add that if money were no object, I would have kept the 62, too, but having a baby on the way, DJing is becoming less of a "lifestyle" and more of a passionate hobby and way to make some extra money doing something I love.

That was the only reason I sold it. Otherwise, if you can afford it, keep both. It's like having a four door full sized and 2+2 econo compact. If you have both, you feel like you might not need both, but it's still a good option to have both. Plus, one could serve as a backup to the other.
deejdave 5:43 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
I'll add that if money were no object, I would have kept the 62, too, but having a baby on the way, DJing is becoming less of a "lifestyle" and more of a passionate hobby and way to make some extra money doing something I love.

I am RIGHT there with you LOL. I am running around like a mad man as we speak getting my house finished. Did the hard wood floors three weeks ago, last week did all the walls & doors, this week tiled the kitchen & sun room.

I have been fortunate to keep all my DJ gear but I do feel your pain. I respect your "get it done no matter what" attitude. Takes a real man..............
LargeFarva 5:45 PM - 19 December, 2014
Couldn't keep both my Rane and Pioneer flagship mixers. #FirstWorldProblemsForDJsWithOversizedBudgets
deejdave 5:48 PM - 19 December, 2014
LOL Love it!!