DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BPM CHART?

Harry G 8:04 PM - 13 November, 2013
Hi

Does anyone have a BPM chart.

I.e, i know the bpm must have a near enough match to get a smooth mix however I have across some tracks that beat match at around 90bpm with 120 bpm tracks?

I remember a DJ a while ago having a BPM chart of what bpms will go with others.

Anyone help?
AKIEM 8:59 PM - 13 November, 2013
Tracking.
Nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:04 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Hi

I.e, i know the bpm must have a near enough match to get a smooth mix however I have across some tracks that beat match at around 90bpm with 120 bpm tracks?

I remember a DJ a while ago having a BPM chart of what bpms will go with others.

Anyone help?

There should be one on the top row of your keyboard
djnak 9:08 PM - 13 November, 2013
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

charts...camelot keys...energy levels.....

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Harry G 9:40 PM - 13 November, 2013
It wasn't that funny mate. I'd appreciate you not saying anything rather than commenting at all.Simple
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:47 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
It wasn't that funny mate.

It totally was, and it will be to you to when you get a better handle in how to mix.

Basically when beatmatching 5 bpm up and 5 bpm down are your limits and even thats pushing it. No chart necessary. Your never going to beatmatch 90 with 120, for that youll need to either find or make a preproduced transition track or scratch/slam from one to the other. The only exception is if you can half or double, like 70 to/from 140
DJ Remix Detroit 9:56 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Tracking.
Nm

this
DJ Remix Detroit 9:59 PM - 13 November, 2013
while we are on topic... is there a chart to help me match Call Me Maybe with James Brown Big Payback?

i remember a dj a while ago that had a chart for this.

thanks for the help guys!
Harry G 10:02 PM - 13 November, 2013
I understand the halfing as it's obvious plus the limits.

I've seen producers and other DJs mix dif genre music I,e bhangra at bpms not half or double against other instrumentals
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:12 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
I understand the halfing as it's obvious plus the limits.

I've seen producers and other DJs mix dif genre music I,e bhangra at bpms not half or double against other instrumentals

Reread what i wrote, if it dosent make sence read it again. Noone is beat mixing 90 bpm tracks into 120 unless theyve bought/found/made a transition track,which is a track (usually made in ableton) that unnaturally changes the bpm.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:12 PM - 13 November, 2013
If you still dont believe me post an example of a dj doin it
Dj Shamann 10:20 PM - 13 November, 2013
^ C'mon Bezzle, the standards of musical theory don't apply here, if it's a different genre....

4.bp.blogspot.com
DJ Remix Detroit 10:22 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:29 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Never gets old lol
Laz219 10:30 PM - 13 November, 2013
Well....that didn't take long.
www.facebook.com
DJ Remix Detroit 10:33 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Never gets old lol

lmao
DJ Remix Detroit 10:39 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
www.facebook.com

rotflmao.... 'Ni66a, you just went full potato'
Dj matty k 10:44 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
www.facebook.com

I just seen it in Facebook and thought I know what forums that's from I will have a look see who it was haha
Dj matty k 10:46 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Never gets old lol

Haha I remember this when I was at bpm as the bloke on the mic kept saying it looks like they were having fun haha
djnak 10:47 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
It wasn't that funny mate. I'd appreciate you not saying anything rather than commenting at all.Simple

it really was and that was a real life interpretation of what happend when I read it....

The only way it can happen is if the written bpm is wrong or all that other shit bezzle said....

think about it this way...if you have a car going 90/mph and another car going 120/mph it just CAN'T happen.....
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:49 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

it really was and that was a real life interpretation of what happend when I read it....

The only way it can happen is if the written bpm is wrong or all that other shit bezzle said....

think about it this way...if you have a car going 90/mph and another car going 120/mph it just CAN'T happen.....

Sweet jimminey christmas i was going to use the exact same car explaination lol
Harry G 10:51 PM - 13 November, 2013
I don't think you understand my point.

We're talking different genres of music, I've clearly sn this done a while bk by a producer.

It's clear this can't be done in most cases however it can hence the topic.

If I had the video or an example of a dj or producer doing this I for sure wouldn't have raised this topic.

I think this subject is getting out of the question nw
Laz219 10:53 PM - 13 November, 2013
BPM is the same, regardless of genre.
auttomattik 10:53 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Well, eventually that car traveling 120 will go all the way around the world and meet back up with the car going 90, for a brief moment as it passes it again. That's a mix, right?

Dude, I usually don't do this, but turn around and head for the hills, guy. If you can, make another profile and pretend this never happened. This place is a slaughterhouse and you're fresh meat. But that question was awful and you deserve most of what you get.
DJ Remix Detroit 10:57 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:

We're talking different genres of music, I've clearly sn this done a while bk by a producer.

It's clear this can't be done in most cases however it can hence the topic.

If I had the video or an example of a dj or producer doing this I for sure wouldn't have raised this topic.

I think this subject is getting out of the question nw

Quote:
theyve bought/found/made a transition track,which is a track (usually made in ableton) that unnaturally changes the bpm.
djnak 11:02 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:

yes a transition can be produced or done live.....but you can not BEATMATCH a 90Bpm track with a 120 Bpm....Well I guess you kinda could for 1 beat but then you are not beatmatching you a droppin the track in...
Mr. Goodkat 11:05 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:

rethink and then reword your question.
Harry G 11:10 PM - 13 November, 2013
If I ever get hold of the dj through a friend I will upload
Dj matty k 11:19 PM - 13 November, 2013
I'm sure it was a transition :-)
Dj Shamann 11:27 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
^ C'mon Bezzle, the standards of musical theory don't apply here, if it's a different genre....

4.bp.blogspot.com

HAHA I was being sarcastic but this guy truly believes it

Quote:

We're talking different genres of music,

SMH
DJ DisGrace 12:20 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
If I ever get hold of the dj through a friend I will upload

*tracking
Thundercat 12:31 AM - 14 November, 2013
Not sure if troll or just clueless. Leaning towards clueless...or fantastic troll
AKIEM 3:52 AM - 14 November, 2013
Well if the road was curved sharp enough the 120mph car and the 90mph would be locked so...
deezlee 4:02 AM - 14 November, 2013
you could mix 2 different tempo songs together if they are different time signatures.
you could mix 2 different tempo beats together to create a poly-rhythm.
you could mix 2 different tempo ambient loops (or spaced out songs) together that hit together in a longer pattern and/or create poly-rhythms.
deejay-motiv 4:38 AM - 14 November, 2013
There are some genres of music where the BPMs aren't read properly by software and in those cases it can appear you are mixing across unmixable BPMs.

Some dubstep, some Reggae, Trance, Reggaeton, some Trap, Glitch - you can find tracks in those genres and more where the BPMs look and may even sound accurate, but when you actually count the BPM in your head against those songs - the BPM ends up being something entirely different. That's why it can appear that you are mixing across quite wide ranging BPMs.

There isn't a chart for it ... just learn to beat mix manually without the use of your eyes. Use your ears
DJ Unique 6:50 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
BPM is the same, regardless of genre.

Maybe he's trying to mix House with Polka
DJ Mozo 3:49 PM - 14 November, 2013
I thought you could mix 96bpm to 128.... (weirdly it might actually work just haven't tried it lol)

128/2=64/2+32
64+32=96... seems legit...l
AKIEM 4:54 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
I thought you could mix 96bpm to 128.... (weirdly it might actually work just haven't tried it lol)

128/2=64/2+32

That could work
(I won't bother trying)

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 5:02 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

128/2=64/2+32

and that shit is gonna sound like hot garbage even if you did pull it off...lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:14 PM - 14 November, 2013
Ya if we're throwing sound quality out you could always loop the track, bump it from 33 to 45 rpm, slam up that pitch then mix.....
Draven1327 8:53 PM - 14 November, 2013
tracking .... as i serve myself popcorn
DJ Mozo 9:53 PM - 14 November, 2013
I' was just thinking about it. not sure it would work or not.. and i'm not one that would try that out in public before trying it out at home...
In theory it would work.. outside.. not so much, at least i don't think it would lol...
Either way, I'm still trying to figure out a bpm chart?

Maybe he was thinking of the camelot wheel?
jstar 5:02 AM - 20 August, 2015
first off you could mix a 90 with a higher bpm... its gonna b over 120 bpm tho or jus mayb 120. but to do this you have to beat match manually using the pitch fader and watching the beat sync.. do not use sinc button... must of all u have to find the right song.. not all song will allow u to do that... but i did it many times......
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:10 AM - 20 August, 2015
Laz219 7:12 AM - 20 August, 2015
90 with 120?
I'd love to hear an example of this.
djnak 8:49 AM - 20 August, 2015
Hey Jstar just change the BPM on the 120 track to 90 and then see if sync works....
DJ_Clippz 6:27 PM - 20 August, 2015
Quote:
Hi

Anyone help?

You can mix way out the range - tracks like 140 and 70 basically half the bpm.. not saying it always works but it does and has. Example would be dancehall and drum&bass.

all this 5bpm up and 5bpm rules is all fine and dandy but it's about being creative - bend the rules and make some GOOD sounding art!

Down to selection really. But if you're struggling with the basics I wouldn't recommend out of range beatmatching then.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 10:29 AM - 21 August, 2015
Quote:
Maybe he's trying to mix House with Polka

You made my day