DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Taking the weight out a SL1200

Chris Deluxe 8:49 AM - 13 November, 2013
Has anyone tried or considered taking out the weight 'brick' of the SL1200? I understand the weight is necessary for damping vibrations, but maybe this is not needed as much anymore with timecode. This would be ideal for mobile setups.
TelosHedge 7:07 PM - 13 November, 2013
i yanked mine out of my 1200s. doesn't seem to affect anything at all. i imagine it will depend on where you're playing.

to be very honest, i think they are just for damping, but maybe they are used for something else? would be interested to hear someone chime in on the subject.
auttomattik 11:02 PM - 13 November, 2013
Weight Brick??? What are you guys taking about? The dampening of a 1200 is in the rubber base of the body (the heaviest part) and feet. The rubber base is the ansalary weight, everything else inside serves a purpose. I wouldn't ever remove anything from my 1200's other than removing the ground wire by internally grounding it.
AKIEM 3:58 AM - 14 November, 2013
Yeah, I can't figure that one out either - what freaking brick?
TelosHedge 4:36 AM - 14 November, 2013
if you yank the bottom plate of the 1200 off as soon as you get in there you'll be greeted with a black thick plastic mount that comes off with a few screws and holds nothing in place. all the PCB's power supply fader etc are mounted to the top most plate of the 1200. the brick thing is literally just in there. a few screws for the bottom plate did not mount back up IIRC but all went back together fine and just as sturdy as before.

the piece itself is a few lbs.
AKIEM 5:03 AM - 14 November, 2013
Can you point it out, or where it goes in this picture?
mycollins.net
Chris Deluxe 5:12 AM - 14 November, 2013
The part on the bottom-right of that picture. You can leave it out, and put the turntable back together just like before.
AKIEM 7:04 AM - 14 November, 2013
Right, the whole large plastic piece. I never thought that wighed enough to make a difference, but aight.
Chris Deluxe 11:20 AM - 14 November, 2013
From what I recall, it actually weighs quite a bit. I can't find anything online about its weight, but I guess it's somewhere around 2-3 LBS (1,5KG).
Dj Knockout101 1:53 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
From what I recall, it actually weighs quite a bit. I can't find anything online about its weight, but I guess it's somewhere around 2-3 LBS (1,5KG).

Since when was 3 pounds a lot? I believe an infant can lift 3 pounds. I say this modification along with the ground modification isn't worth it.
Chris Deluxe 2:43 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Since when was 3 pounds a lot? I believe an infant can lift 3 pounds. I say this modification along with the ground modification isn't worth it.

Sometimes i can't park my car in front of a venue, and i have to walk quite a bit. I agree 3 pounds isn't that much, but since i carry 2 turntables at once in cases, a total of 6 pounds less to carry is always welcome. A 5 minute walk isn't that much fun carrying 2 flightcases with TT's.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:49 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes i can't park my car in front of a venue, and i have to walk quite a bit. I agree 3 pounds isn't that much, but since i carry 2 turntables at once in cases, a total of 6 pounds less to carry is always welcome. A 5 minute walk isn't that much fun carrying 2 flightcases with TT's.

www.amazon.com
TelosHedge 2:54 PM - 14 November, 2013
chris ignore the goofy posts about why you shouldn't care about 3 lbs. what if they're 5lbs? thats 10 lbs total - and probably around a 10% reduction in a one piece coffin. that's enough for me to give it a shot.

the main focus here is if it's actually bad or not to take the plastic out. someone with real world experience playing with these out or deeper knowledge of techs should chime in eventually. i've played out with my techs before without the bricks and have had no problems, but i am not the best judge as i've only had a couple of sets of techs and don't bring them out often.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:06 PM - 14 November, 2013
totally here what you are saying, but instead of fucking with the integrity of your decks, wouldnt it be simpler to just buy a little fold up cart like the one i pointed out above. that will surely take care of the problem, and you can leave your decks in tact.
AKIEM 4:29 PM - 14 November, 2013
3lbs or not it seemed kinda light to be a "wight", so Im still wondering what it's for. Could be... And sure for DVS it probably makes no difference..... but...
TelosHedge 4:53 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
instead of fucking with the integrity of your decks, wouldnt it be simpler to just buy a little fold up cart like the one i pointed out above.

true, but that's the question i think the OP is trying to ask. is yanking this plastic thing going to affect anything? i'd really love to know what the thing is for. if it turns out that they are important for one reason or another, then sure, a cart will be the next best thing for him.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:03 PM - 14 November, 2013
gotcha
Dax 5:06 PM - 14 November, 2013
i dont think its a weight but internal damping,you could always try taking it out and filling the void with acoustic damping foam to help prevent resonance.
AKIEM 5:12 PM - 14 November, 2013
^ makes ยข
Cisco El Nino 5:15 PM - 14 November, 2013
its called a non-resonant inner layer. It reduces sensitivity to loud volume. Take it out at a loud club and report back, id like to know the results. I guess you could get the same results with a monitor right next to your 1200.
Cisco El Nino 5:21 PM - 14 November, 2013
if it counts super-oem's dont have them, audio technics at-lp 1240, american audio htd 4.5, stanton 150's dont have them. Numark ttx'd do have them though
AKIEM 5:27 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
its called a non-resonant inner layer. It reduces sensitivity to loud volume. Take it out at a loud club and report back, id like to know the results. I guess you could get the same results with a monitor right next to your 1200.

And that would be the reason it is actually lighter than a weight. But I can't imagine with DVS it would make that much difference, or even all the other factors from club to club.

Before, after and side by side might be interesting tho
Dax 5:41 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

And that would be the reason it is actually lighter than a weight. But I can't imagine with DVS it would make that much difference, or even all the other factors from club to club.

Before, after and side by side might be interesting tho

i have my 1210's in bits at the moment,if the tonearm assembly wasn't dismantled i could have given it a go.
TelosHedge 6:30 PM - 14 November, 2013
i'll pull out my old plastic piece if i can find them and stick one in and do a side by side.
phonze 6:34 PM - 14 November, 2013
On the subject of the cart, regardless if you take the piece out or not you should really get one. Life saver.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:04 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
On the subject of the cart, regardless if you take the piece out or not you should really get one. Life saver.

Flights of stairs..... Not every country makes it mandatory to have handicap ramps.
Chris Deluxe 5:13 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Flights of stairs..... Not every country makes it mandatory to have handicap ramps.

^ This. I only do a few mobiles a year, so I made my setup as compact as possible. I carry one turntable in each hand and a backpack with mixer, cables, CV's etc.

Some venues have (multiple) stairs or high door bumps (I don't know how you call those in English) :)

I'm sure the turntables won't perform any less without the weight in common situations, but I also play in some very bass heavy clubs, and maybe the needle will pick up much more vibrations without the weight/damper thing.

I'm really curious about any 'test results', I will open up a technics soon and weigh the plastic part to see if it's even worth to get rid of it.
Logisticalstyles 11:28 PM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:

If this is correct then you will notice a difference, especially when calibrating your decks. You DO calibrate your decks every time you connect to a new set up, right?
Chris Deluxe 7:21 AM - 16 November, 2013
I haven't calibrated serato in years.
apeironentertainment 8:18 AM - 16 November, 2013
My first gig this year was a New Year's party on a rented yacht, about 200 guests. I was told I had 15 minutes to load my gear between the boat arriving and departing in Alameda, and then 30 minutes to set up between the ferry ride from Alameda to San Francisco (where we were picking the guests up). They didn't tell me it was on the second floor of the yacht, nor that I had to park a quarter mile away, hike down a 50 ft. boat ramp to the docks, and not drop all my shit in the water while trying to ease it onto the 3 ft. wide platform meant for a single person to step onto the boat with. Thank jesus I had an industrial dolly with me. However, it didn't help with lugging 2 JBL dual 15" JRX 125s and my heavy-as-hell NS7 in a road case up the 3 ft wide "loading" well (they didn't let me use the 8' wide, rounded, carpeted well, that's for guests only). So many trainwrecks that night, but I still made $500.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:42 PM - 16 November, 2013
^make that money homie!
DJ GaFFle 4:58 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If this is correct then you will notice a difference, especially when calibrating your decks. You DO calibrate your decks every time you connect to a new set up, right?

If you take it out, you'll have problems and you'll experience those problems in a most critical situation. The Technics 1200's were built like tanks for a reason. Don't compare them to super OEM's because they don't compare; they come from China and corners are cut for a reason, to cut costs. Technics never cut corners on the 1200's.

If you attempt to test for feedback yourself, use the Serato setup calibrating scope and play one deck unmodified and the modified unit on the other. I'd have a sub and tops pumping some serious sound to try and see if feedback from the music is a problem. It could be any frequency in the spectrum that the plastic helps dampen. Overall, I would not recommend lightening them.
AKIEM 5:03 PM - 16 November, 2013
Yup. That's interesting the oems do not have that dampening - if youre stuck with one maybe adding some...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:10 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
Overall, I would not recommend lightening them.

^^This^^
Cisco El Nino 2:42 AM - 17 November, 2013
if anyone is into the nerd part of turntables, we went over turntables with plus's n minuses of each mainstream table. weight is briefly gone over. feel free to add your 2 cents to it also

www.skratchlounge.com
supaxcite 2:21 AM - 18 November, 2013
Just wanted to chime in. Dude i have pulled them things out years ago cause as u said they are to heavy with them in added i have them in a coffin,that i carry and setup by myself.Granted it would be wise to get some wheels but sometimes u got to carry dat btich far and for some unknown reason that thick ass hard plastic is heavy (side note: also do what u want and dont let other people influence your decision to make your life better) Now for answers to some of yall questions no it does not mess up the table,no it does not mess up the sound the scopes in the software takes care of that,no bass issues,no tone arm issues. any other questions
Chris Deluxe 10:18 AM - 18 November, 2013
Thanx for your reply, good to hear some real life experiences. I will take the weight out soon, I'm really curious how much it weighs exactly.

I also was thinking about taking the weight out of 1 table, and take them to a very bass heavy gig. This way I can compare the two, and if it goes wrong, I can use instant doubles and just use the table with the weight still in it.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:37 AM - 18 November, 2013
There's a lot of value in the old saying: "if it aint broke, dont fix it."
DJ GaFFle 1:04 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
There's a lot of value in the old saying: "a hard head makes a soft ass."

Fixed

(nh)
DJ Remix Detroit 3:01 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
There's a lot of value in the old saying: "i like a hard head in my soft ass."

Fixed

(nh)

Damn. Thats how u feel? Lmao

NM
DJ GaFFle 4:43 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fixed

(nh)

NM

Dangit! You caught me slippin'!

(NM)
DJ Remix Detroit 5:10 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fixed

(nh)

NM

Dangit! You caught me slippin'!

(NM)

Lmao
DJ'Que 1:01 AM - 19 November, 2013
well I have been removing them shells for about 10 years. they don't serve a purpose. there just to make the 12's not move.( I think)

They don't mess up nothing. everything still sounds the same. to me they were in there to make you feel like they were heavy duty (but 12's are the best)

all of my 12's dont have them. I think its about 10lb lighter per deck.
DJ'Que 1:12 AM - 19 November, 2013
these are from my last 4 12's I finished customizing i23.photobucket.com
Logisticalstyles 1:22 AM - 19 November, 2013
10lb per deck?
DJ GaFFle 1:27 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
well I have been removing them shells for about 10 years. they don't serve a purpose. there just to make the 12's not move.( I think)

They don't mess up nothing. everything still sounds the same. to me they were in there to make you feel like they were heavy duty (but 12's are the best)

Remind me to never by a used 1200 from you. :-)

(nm)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Remind me to never by a used 1200 from you. :-)

(nm)

You got THAT RIGHT...

All hollow and *ish....lmao.

Y'all better not be smugglin' mp3's in them neeva...
O.B.1 3:48 AM - 19 November, 2013
bunch of panty waists in here...
Dj Knockout101 3:48 PM - 20 November, 2013
My suggestion is for you all that says 6 lbs is too much is to pump some iron.
DJ Nightmare Productions 4:56 PM - 20 November, 2013
My Stantons weigh much more than the 1200s and they are still not unbearably heavy... yall just some B&^*#@( Man up and pick those turntables up.. smh.. This is sad.. lol
deezlee 5:18 PM - 20 November, 2013
This thread reminds me of the no headphones and 1200 w no tonearm threads. On some 1200 as a controller steez. Yeah probly nobody asked me but those 1200s are gonna be around a long time, someone might want to spin records on them one day. Man I hope removing that thing doesn't become a trend...