DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best way of recording DYI performance videos?

DJ Matty Stiles 8:04 AM - 9 November, 2013
What's good serato fam?

Seeing all these new DMC routines and serato performance videos has inspired me to make my some of my own. I'm not talking about fancy, studio edited advertisements as seen in serato product demos, but just a nice clear shot of the decks so people can see me mixing.

What's the best way of doing this? Should I get a tripod and put my iPhone on? That seems the easiest. I've also seen those arial shots. Anyone know how that can be done?

Holla back
DJ Matty Stiles 8:05 AM - 9 November, 2013
And I meant DIY not DYI LOL
DJ Remix Detroit 11:14 AM - 9 November, 2013
Getting a small action cam, something like a go pro cam, and using the 3m no mess tape to tack it to the wall and point it down on your decks.

a fish eye lens also helps alot so you dont have to put the cam so high up to get the entire shot of your decks.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:19 AM - 9 November, 2013
here a good list of small light weight action cams that shoot HD vids and come in handy for getting good shots.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remix Detroit 11:22 AM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Should I get a tripod and put my iPhone on?

you can also use you iphone as well, and there is a fish eye lens available to widen the shot.

Watchwww.youtube.com

im pretty sure the iphone is light enough to mount on the wall as well to achieve the same arial shot.
Logisticalstyles 11:52 PM - 9 November, 2013
Is it possible to run a line into the iPhone for capturing audio and video simultaneously or do I have to record the audio separately and sync it up later?
DJ Remix Detroit 4:34 AM - 10 November, 2013
Your best bet is to record it through Scratch Live and then sync it up in a non linear editing program afterwards.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:33 AM - 10 November, 2013
@DJ Remix Detroit thanks for your help fam! I'll try and look for a tripod where I can attach it to the wall above me for an arial shot
DJ Remix Detroit 7:49 AM - 10 November, 2013
For mounting on the wall. A tripod might be a little hard to mount the way you want.

Try something like this: www.bhphotovideo.com

Along with some No Mess 3M sticky tape. That way you wont do damage to your wall if you decide to take it down later.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:28 AM - 10 November, 2013
if your DJ setup isn't butted perpendicular to a wall then you will have to use a tripod along with something like this here: www.amazon.com

ive also seen people build their own stand with cheap PVC pipe from a local hardware store and attach thier camera with one of these:www.google.com

just wrap the legs around the pvc pipe and point your camera down, to get your desired shot.