DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyone ever switch TO a MAC and get MAD at Serato?

FabulousFrequencies 3:50 AM - 6 November, 2013
Picked up a 2ghz/2G-RAM oldass macbook, running oldass osx, for the cheap. It's burning every windows laptop I ever used ITCH on, all besting this units specs by a mile. All 'optimized' for ITCH, no background services, no nothing. Stripped to zilch. Just a man, his lappy, and Serato. Still occasional hiccups (rare, but happened), still latency issues. Run an external? Not wise. Better turn off your internet and anti-virus too.

Fired up the MAC, external running, latency unlocked and set to the lowest possible setting, bluetooth on, wifi on, cat5 in and online. Not a single, solitary, issue..

Now i'm actually angry with Serato.

I know, I know. I should be elated, swearing by the MAC, And delivering flowers to the grave of the late Steve Jobs. But i'm seriously pissed off about this. I don't give a shit what their idea of an industry standard is. I don't want to hear about hardware & software integration being tighter. I don't want an explanation of the audio API differences, and I definitely don't want excuses. You compute 1's & 0's, Handle a simple sound stream, and translate a language that was standardized in 1983..

What I want, is to first say that the developers should be effin ashamed of being so near sighted. There is nothing about your software that 'requires' a MAC. Admit it and say it out loud - Clear your conscience. This is pure and unadulterated development BIAS. Tell me what is the point of supporting budget controllers and not budget laptops? This isn't about money but that does come into question if you focus the argument on the budget side of your controller support. Who is buying $300.00 controllers and $1500 laptops to use with them?

I have 11, yes 11 laptops here that outperform this Macbook; Until I load your software. Inexcusable.

Anyone else stop the happy dance for a minute to think about this after the switch to MAC? And yeah, i'm prepared for the arrogant kids on the way in to talk about being professionals and how no real, serious DJ uses a PC. I got a rebut for you guys too ;)

No real serious Dj software supports a fuckin WeGO.

Now that's out of the way, comments & flames here we come. xD
Def DJ Hypnotiq 5:34 AM - 6 November, 2013
As Long as your laptop has good specs...it really doesn't matter what type of Laptop you use to be honest....Only thing I can say is If you regularly DJ with a PC I would only use the PC just for Djin...I use to use a PC to DJ with and I noticed the more I used it to do other daily activites...like downloading music, surfing the internet, getting on facebook or youtube, it always caused some trouble when I used serato. I never had that problem on my MAC. I use it for everything and it still runs hella great.
pdidy 6:14 AM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
As Long as your laptop has good specs...it really doesn't matter what type of Laptop you use to be honest....

Sounds good but absolutely not true......as a matter of fact Fabs findings disprove that myth in regards to Serato.
the_black_one 7:49 AM - 6 November, 2013
Is this dude Barbara's brother??

NM NH
djdalite 9:12 AM - 6 November, 2013
i concur sir
pdidy 9:39 AM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

good topic deserving of good discussion.....No flame.
dj res-q 12:47 PM - 6 November, 2013
Not mad at serato,but certainly mad at myself for taking so long to switch to mac from pc
DJ GOOK 1:07 PM - 6 November, 2013
Where's JohnnyM?
Papa Midnight 1:22 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
As Long as your laptop has good specs...it really doesn't matter what type of Laptop you use to be honest....

Sounds good but absolutely not true......as a matter of fact Fabs findings disprove that myth in regards to Serato.

He's not wrong indeed. I've made this exact same declaration numerous times in the ITCH forums. The fact of the matter is that the Windows versions of Serato products are poorly coded; and the leaning of Serato towards Mac is more than evident.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:45 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Picked up a 2ghz/2G-RAM oldass macbook, running oldass osx, for the cheap. It's burning every windows laptop I ever used ITCH on, all besting this units specs by a mile. All 'optimized' for ITCH, no background services, no nothing. Stripped to zilch. Just a man, his lappy, and Serato. Still occasional hiccups (rare, but happened), still latency issues. Run an external? Not wise. Better turn off your internet and anti-virus too.

Fired up the MAC, external running, latency unlocked and set to the lowest possible setting, bluetooth on, wifi on, cat5 in and online. Not a single, solitary, issue..

Now i'm actually angry with Serato.

I know, I know. I should be elated, swearing by the MAC, And delivering flowers to the grave of the late Steve Jobs. But i'm seriously pissed off about this. I don't give a shit what their idea of an industry standard is. I don't want to hear about hardware & software integration being tighter. I don't want an explanation of the audio API differences, and I definitely don't want excuses. You compute 1's & 0's, Handle a simple sound stream, and translate a language that was standardized in 1983..

What I want, is to first say that the developers should be effin ashamed of being so near sighted. There is nothing about your software that 'requires' a MAC. Admit it and say it out loud - Clear your conscience. This is pure and unadulterated development BIAS. Tell me what is the point of supporting budget controllers and not budget laptops? This isn't about money but that does come into question if you focus the argument on the budget side of your controller support. Who is buying $300.00 controllers and $1500 laptops to use with them?

I have 11, yes 11 laptops here that outperform this Macbook; Until I load your software. Inexcusable.

Anyone else stop the happy dance for a minute to think about this after the switch to MAC? And yeah, i'm prepared for the arrogant kids on the way in to talk about being professionals and how no real, serious DJ uses a PC. I got a rebut for you guys too ;)

No real serious Dj software supports a fuckin WeGO.

This is the kinda mentality that caused us to invade iraq
the_black_one 2:47 PM - 6 November, 2013
Sooooo your mad because now you have less issues and your rig runs better than before?????

Nm nh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

www.djjohnnym.com
the_black_one 2:59 PM - 6 November, 2013
Let me get this ..... Your mad because you solved your issues???

Nm nh
the_black_one 3:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Soooooo 11 crap laptops later........

SMFH

Nm nh
the_black_one 3:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
No hope .....

Nm nh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:01 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
. The fact of the matter is that the Windows versions of Serato products are poorly coded; and the leaning of Serato towards Mac is more than evident.

Man, I BEEN told y'all that Serato is in the same bed as MAC.

serato.com

First the SL1 and 57, next...

Windows....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:03 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Sooooo your mad because now you have less issues and your rig runs better than before?????

Nm nh

No idiot.

He's mad that he has to spend a LOT of money (MAC) to use a cheapy solution (Controller).

I don't have that problem, since I'm not into controllerism.
the_black_one 3:08 PM - 6 November, 2013
You must be referring to yo mama when using the word idiot.... Go back to bed old man and don't forget your meds... Let me out in Barbara on the radio so you can relax IDIOT

NM NH
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:09 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
You must be referring to yo mama when using the word idiot.... Go back to bed old man and don't forget your meds... Let me out in Barbara on the radio so you can relax IDIOT

NM NH

ROTFLMAO!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:11 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

Look Bitchman,

YOU'RE the one always looking to try and get my attention and respect.

I know you're still burned over you be outed "Mastermind", but one day you'll wake up dead, and won't have to deal with it any more...

See? All better now.
Papa Midnight 3:13 PM - 6 November, 2013
You missed the point entirely. The annoyance is that Serato claims that they support Windows, when the fact of the matter is that - in practice - the Serato application has been sub-par at best on Windows for the life of it's existence (not counting the Whitelabel.NET file issue and USB 1.1 issue on Windows 7 - which is Microsoft's own fault).

That's not a Windows problem, that's a problem with Serato itself; the Windows port (because that's exactly what it is) is not as well coded as it's Mac counterpart and has little-to-no actual support. That's just a fact. Especially since all of Serato uses Apple (and has no interest in coding for Windows beyond maximizing the install base).

Explain to me why, on a system running OS X and a system running Windows with the exact same specifications, one can run Serato Video while the other cannot. As far as I can tell so far, this is purely arbitrary. The fact that I am constantly experimenting with OSx86 builds has provided me with even more insight into this:

On Windows, it is not possible to run Serato Video without a separate Dedicated Graphics Card. This is by Serato's own design. It will not run on Intel HD graphics when under Windows. On Mac OS X, however, it will. This is despite the fact that Intel has had native hardware acceleration of video since the introduction of the HD 2000 on-die chipset (2011).

I figured this crap out when Serato Video was still in beta: I take a computer with Windows on it without a dedicated GPU, I can't run Serato Video due to an arbitrary lockout by Serato. I take the EXACT SAME COMPUTER, install OS X on it, and suddenly I can run Serato Video.

Please, explain that to me - how it is the fault of the PC that he bought. Please, tell us how your glorious silver plastic and aluminum machine is the Crom to your Conan when it is more than evidently clear that the cause here is arbitrary and at the whim of Serato.

If you have difficulty coming up with an intelligent answer, don't worry, I'll wait.

i.imgur.com
the_black_one 3:13 PM - 6 November, 2013
Bawahahahahahahahah..... This old man here.... You must be taking the wrong meds again bitchman...... Looking for your respect ... GTFO with that nursing home lingo..... Lay down geriatric .... Listen ... Barbara is on

LMFAO

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:14 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

ROTFLMAO!!!!

And heeeeeeerrrrreeeee's RABBIT!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

Rabbit - Bezzle
Wink - Ms. Bezzle
Alex - Bezzle's boy/promoter f*ckin' his girl...

Just like in real life...

You can't make this stuff up...
the_black_one 3:16 PM - 6 November, 2013
Your stuff about mss bezz is old just like the crusty skin on your elbows... Find new material like the fresh dipers your nurse is putting on your this morning....

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:17 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Especially since all of Serato uses Apple (and has no interest in coding for Windows beyond maximizing the install base).

You know...I was gonna do some more checking into this, BECAUSE if you look at Serato DJ's latest promo vids where they show the Serato team working behind the scenes...

I was hard pressed to find a Windows Laptop in that clip...

Just sayin....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:18 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Your stuff about mss bezz is old just like the crusty skin on your elbows... Find new material like the fresh dipers your nurse is putting on your this morning....

NM NH

Of COURSE you're coming to save your boyfriend...

But that's what Friends are For..... :-D!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:19 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

i.imgur.com

www.djjohnnym.com

Someone once said that MAC users are too stupid to use Windows machines....lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:20 PM - 6 November, 2013
Again, don't get it twisted....

The FACT that Serato works better with MACS is undeniable.

That's a given.

That argument is dead.

For those that don't get it, the argument is WHY?
Papa Midnight 3:24 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
i.imgur.com

www.djjohnnym.com

Someone once said that MAC users are too stupid to use Windows machines....lmao.

Watchwww.youtube.com
From the mouth of Leo Laporte himself.

Quote:
That's a given.
That argument is dead.

Like I said:
Quote:
As far as I can tell so far, this is purely arbitrary.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:39 PM - 6 November, 2013
As a matter of fact, here's that Serato DJ promo - > serato.com

HOW many NON-MACS do you see in that vid?

C'mon son...

Hey, it is what it is...
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:52 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Look Bitchman,

YOU'RE the one always looking to try and get my attention and respect.

I know you're still burned over you be outed "Mastermind", but one day you'll wake up dead, and won't have to deal with it any more...

See? All better now.

Thats clearly a threat, blackone do you feel threatened, i would feel threatened, that was a threat, these forums are no place for hate speak
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:54 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Thats clearly a threat, blackone do you feel threatened, i would feel threatened, that was a threat, these forums are no place for hate speak

You think it's a threat that one day you'll wake up dead?

LMAO!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

Lmfao, its telling that we find new ways to clown his old ass daily but hed still clinging to old material as if it was his radio shack ass mixer.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:55 PM - 6 November, 2013
You REALLY can't make this stuff up...

Please continue....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:55 PM - 6 November, 2013
It's funny how me and that Radio Shack mixer are STILL LIGHT YEARS ahead of you in the DJ world....

So yeah...
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:56 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

Now your threatening me as well. Thats 2 in one thread and thats uncalled for, reported
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

The serato forums are not a place for hateful homophobic remarks and hatespeak will not be tolerated...reported
Papa Midnight 3:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
If you have difficulty coming up with an intelligent answer, don't worry, I'll wait.

Dead silence.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
It's funny how me and that Radio Shack mixer are STILL LIGHT YEARS ahead of you in the DJ world....

So yeah...

Do you even gig bro?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:59 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

Now your threatening me as well. Thats 2 in one thread and thats uncalled for, reported

oooohhhh!!! I'm shakin' in my boots!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

The serato forums are not a place for hateful homophobic remarks and hatespeak will not be tolerated...reported

Hey, I have NOTHING again you and The_Fake_One's "Relationship"...

I understand it's now legal for y'all in some states...

Congrats!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Hey, I have NOTHING against you and The_Fake_One's "Relationship"...

I understand it's now legal for y'all in some states...

Congrats!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:02 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Dead silence.

They're starting up Microsoft Word on their MAC to think up an intelligent response.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:04 PM - 6 November, 2013
Johnnys just mad cause hes a hundred and twelve and still cant afford a mac...that busted condom kinda ended his dj career
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:06 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Johnnys just mad cause hes a hundred and twelve and still cant afford a mac...that busted condom kinda ended his dj career

Yep, but your mom will be off my back in a minute, your 21st B-day is next month...right?

I can't remember, never been to one...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:13 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, but your mom will be off my back in a minute, your 21st B-day is next month...right?

Yup alzheimers is a bitch isnt it...poor old man thinks im his kid.
dj jamalot 4:14 PM - 6 November, 2013
Popcorn - Check
Cold Drink - Check
Comfy Seat - Check

Forum Entertainment - Priceless

The OP Made one comment now take it away boys...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Popcorn - Check
Cold Drink - Check
Comfy Seat - Check

Forum Entertainment - Priceless

The OP Made one comment now take it away boys...

Lmfao!!
Papa Midnight 4:15 PM - 6 November, 2013
Funny how it only takes two people to successfully derail a topic and prevent any logical or intelligent conversation...
Papa Midnight 4:15 PM - 6 November, 2013
...and even more funny that it's always the same two people.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:18 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
...and even more funny that it's always the same two people.

Ive been on this forum long enough to make you this promise, this WILL NOT be your last chance to get to the bottom of the mac vs pc debate...carry on
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:20 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know I've never been to one of your B-Day parties, I always had something more important to do...

Last year it was take out the garbage....

Yeah, that's it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Funny how it only takes two people to successfully derail a topic and prevent any logical or intelligent conversation...

HEY! I was VERY LOGICAL in my comments!

Again, those MAC huggers are just too stoopid.... to well...

You know the rest...LMAO.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:22 PM - 6 November, 2013
But then again, you should look at the history of this tread...

And ask...

Who was clicking their heels 3 times asking for my appearance?

:-)
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:23 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know I've never been to one of your B-Day parties, I always had something more important to do...

Last year it was take out the garbage....

Whered you take her? Its good to see after all these years yall stiiiiiiilllll together.

(That was a 90s ref for your old ass)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:27 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Whered you take her? Its good to see after all these years yall stiiiiiiilllll together.

No man, I did not take our YOUR baby out...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:31 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

No man, I did not take our YOUR baby out...

Watchwww.youtube.com

More of that thinking that got us into iraq....
the_black_one 4:33 PM - 6 November, 2013
I'm still on your even gig you old gizzard ?
And you and your old ass radio shack mix.. Yeah about that ... I would not be sticking my chest out on playing out with that POS... I done seen your seen your flyers and that paper they were printed on looked like the dead see scrolls ... Yeah that old just like the crusty old ear wax built up in your ear...

NM NH
FabulousFrequencies 4:36 PM - 6 November, 2013
Dear God.. What have I done..
dj jamalot 4:37 PM - 6 November, 2013
Now look at why you done started...
dj jamalot 4:37 PM - 6 November, 2013
what...
Papa Midnight 4:44 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Expressed your opinion and brought forth a fair subject to the forefront. It's others who choose to be asinine.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:44 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

And you and your old ass radio shack mix.. Yeah about that ... I would not be sticking my chest out on playing out with that POS... I done seen your seen your flyers and that paper they were printed on looked like the dead see scrolls ... Yeah that old just like the crusty old ear wax built up in your ear...

NM NH

Of course you wouldn't be sticking your chest out anywhere..

Do you even DJ?

All you talk about is the softness of a Man's hands, and Rotary Knobs....LMAO...

But have YET to put a SINGLE MIX out there....

Yeah, you like SMOOTHNESS in your MIXES alright....

Oh, wait, they don't exist....

You've taken the word "Fraud" and elevated it to levels that are competitive with your idol Grandmaster J....
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:44 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

Lmfao, they just uncovered a new egyption tomb, so far the only hieroglyphics theyve been able to translate depict a dj johnny m djing the hummas line at the workers quarters. No important scholars know what this means but the all agree its not important
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:46 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Hey, he's one of those low IQ MAC users, so since he doesn't have anything intelligent to say regarding the Subject Matter, he prefers to hold hands with his bunk buddy Bezzle, and try to derail / lock the thread...

Typical Subhuman Traits....

It's to be expected...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:47 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Lmfao, they just uncovered a new egyption tomb, so far the only hieroglyphics theyve been able to translate depict a dj johnny m djing the hummas line at the workers quarters. No important scholars know what this means but the all agree its not important

Exhibit ^B^

Carry on...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:47 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Expressed your opinion and brought forth a fair subject to the forefront. It's others who choose to be asinine.

YEAH!
the_black_one 4:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
When some one farts.... That smell.... You ask your self and others.... Is jhonny around??

#OLDpeoplesmell

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
So you "Ask yourself and others" huh?

LMAO......

Yep, burned that Soul....to a crisp...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Please continue....
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:01 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, he's one of those low IQ MAC users, so since he doesn't have anything intelligent to say regarding the Subject Matter, he prefers to hold hands with his bunk buddy Bezzle, and try to derail / lock the thread...

Typical Subhuman Traits....

It's to be expected...

Whats also to be expected is someone who cant afford a superior product downgrading that product in hopes to improve their own sence of self worth...its ok johnny boy, your special in your own way
FabulousFrequencies 5:02 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

I was just wondering if anyone else had the 'can't believe what i'm seeing, what a bunch of dicks..' epiphany I had when I mixed my face off using 1ms latency on a laptop I spent 169.99 shipped on. It just needed a 7 dollar inverter cable. Then of course behind me was the 2011 model dual core with 8 gigs of ram that is now useless to me that I spent a LOT more on. I get these things off lease and kick them to community college students really cheap. It's something i've been doing for years and I keep the occasional one for myself. I wasn't going to take a 1500.00 gamble on a Mac, and I think a lot of people with occasional PC hiccups feel the same way. So I bought hella used. This is a 2008 non-pro white body here. If I broke this thing out in a coffee shop, a lot of people would think 'dayum.. check out your boys oldass macbook..'

And yet here we are. Talking about the war in Iraq, Radio Shack, and ancient Egypt =\
the_black_one 5:04 PM - 6 November, 2013
So why don't your have a mac??? Oh yes... You won't buy one cause your "job" gives u crap laptops.... Just save your retirement checks and buy yourself a mac so u can dj the nursing home Christmas party

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:05 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Whats also to be expected is someone who cant afford a superior product downgrading that product in hopes to improve their own sence of self worth...its ok johnny boy, your special in your own way

Ok, let's highlight all the things wrong with what you just said...

Congrats, you should really work on Conjuctions now -> Watchwww.youtube.com
you only had one spelling error...

So YOU'RE improving....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:10 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

I was just wondering if anyone else had the 'can't believe what i'm seeing, what a bunch of dicks..' epiphany I had when I mixed my face off using 1ms latency on a laptop I spent 169.99 shipped on. It just needed a 7 dollar inverter cable. Then of course behind me was the 2011 model dual core with 8 gigs of ram that is now useless to me that I spent a LOT more on. I get these things off lease and kick them to community college students really cheap. It's something i've been doing for years and I keep the occasional one for myself. I wasn't going to take a 1500.00 gamble on a Mac, and I think a lot of people with occasional PC hiccups feel the same way. So I bought hella used. This is a 2008 non-pro white body here. If I broke this thing out in a coffee shop, a lot of people would think 'dayum.. check out your boys oldass macbook..'

And yet here we are. Talking about the war in Iraq, Radio Shack, and ancient Egypt =\

If you think about it, it make sense that they would spend more time with MAC.

A kinda smart guy on here once told me "Johnny, it eventually gets down to the amount of time you spend configuring Windows, vs. the amount of time you spend "configuring" a MAC for Serato.

You could be using that extra time to do something else, like roasting Bezzle and that Fake_Azz_Blck guy...

And he was right.

Even thought we may be SMART enough to configure Windows to run correctly, the TIME to do it might not be prudent, and if you take that thought process and connect it to the Scratchlive / Serato DJ assembly line...

What makes better BUSINESS SENSE?

Spending 99% of your time developing a product on an OS that needs minimal configuration...

Or just 70-75% of your time, while the other 25 - 3-% of the time is dealing with POTENTIAL Windows issues...

That's a no-brainer...

Like I said..

First the SL1 & 57, next WINDOWS....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:12 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
So why don't your have a mac??? Oh yes... You won't buy one cause your "job" gives u crap laptops.... Just save your retirement checks and buy yourself a mac so u can dj the nursing home Christmas party

NM NH

And see? I have LOTS of time on my hands now to continually roast you!

Why don't you upload a SINGLE VID of you doing ANY type of mixing?

Hmmmmm?????

Again, Fraudulence to the fullest extent!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:13 PM - 6 November, 2013
That should read...

Quote:
Or just 70-75% of your time, while the other 25% - 30-% of the time is dealing with POTENTIAL Windows issues...
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:16 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, let's highlight all the things wrong with what you just said...

Congrats, you should really work on Conjuctions now -> Watchwww.youtube.com
you only had one spelling error...

So YOU'RE improving....
I noticed you highlighted everything wrong with what I said and the POINT i was making was not included. Thanks fir agreeing with me :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:18 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
I noticed you highlighted everything wrong with what I said and the POINT i was making was not included. Thanks fir agreeing with me :)

Fir sure son!
the_black_one 5:20 PM - 6 November, 2013
Go and finish your cat fish and yams old man... Stay away from the beans... You just a new dipper out on ...

NM NH
skinnyguy 5:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
if you wanna go the cheap route, buy pio wego and a mac.

if you wanna show you have money, buy a pio wego and 11 pc lappys.
the_black_one 5:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
Got*

Nm nh
FabulousFrequencies 5:30 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
That should read...

Quote:
Or just 70-75% of your time, while the other 25% - 30-% of the time is dealing with POTENTIAL Windows issues...

I get it, I do. I don't really fall into the categories most assign me to based on assumption. I have the money for a MBP, I just think my purchases through. This felt like a safe risk and it met minimum specs for the Serato version I prefer. First you have to overcome the common sense reaction of being repulsed by purchasing a 12th laptop when you still have the rest. Then you're faced with 1500.00 for overkill, or 200.00 for good enough. That sort of decision really should make itself but i'm sure some people still struggle with it, LOL.

I brought the budget kids into this not because I fit the category. But because they deserve a voice too. Serato will get in bed with a company that offers 'something for every budget' and then supports the product with a software that isn't for everyone. Where is the sense in that? I don't know of another DJ software developer that behaves this way across platforms. If someone does, by all means talk about it.

Quote:
if you wanna go the cheap route, buy pio wego and a mac.

if you wanna show you have money, buy a pio wego and 11 pc lappys.

All but 2 of these laptops are awaiting student buyers. I didn't purchase one after another to try and 'fix' a serato problem. They're 'stock' for a side gig that makes me feel good. I personally only keep 2 at a time for personal use. One on the workstation, and one for household floating. I also don't have a WeGO. Not saying I was accused of that, just clarifying.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:34 PM - 6 November, 2013
And sometimes when it gets soooooo weak with quotes like ->

Quote:
Go and finish your cat fish and yams old man... Stay away from the beans... You just a new dipper out on ...

NM NH

You just have to say *****sigh**** do this -> educationblog.dallasnews.com

And ignore....
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:46 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
That should read...

Quote:

I get it, I do. I don't really fall into the categories most assign me to based on assumption. I have the money for a MBP, I just think my purchases through. This felt like a safe risk and it met minimum specs for the Serato version I prefer. First you have to overcome the common sense reaction of being repulsed by purchasing a 12th laptop when you still have the rest. Then you're faced with 1500.00 for overkill, or 200.00 for good enough. That sort of decision really should make itself

Depends on how much you gig out, if im on stage in front of 1500 people and my option of purchase could mean the difference between me being the highlight of everyoned night or the laughing stock as my program crashes and im struggling to reboot to silence and boos, ill gladly opt for overkill over the bare min.

You also l, along with alot of people in this conversatin, harp on about similar hardware specs but completly ignore the most important piece of the equation, the inheriant differences between OSs. Theres a reason macs are geared toward people in the audio visusl fields, THATS what these machines are made for
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:47 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

I get it, I do. I don't really fall into the categories most assign me to based on assumption. I have the money for a MBP, I just think my purchases through. This felt like a safe risk and it met minimum specs for the Serato version I prefer. First you have to overcome the common sense reaction of being repulsed by purchasing a 12th laptop when you still have the rest. Then you're faced with 1500.00 for overkill, or 200.00 for good enough. That sort of decision really should make itself but i'm sure some people still struggle with it, LOL.

See? This is the WINDOWS thinker in you coming out... - THINKING THE PURCHASE THROUGH.....

I have done that, and respect that...

I still have DJ friends that are VERY well versed in Windows, can afford a MAC, but still prefer to run Scratchlive on XP, (as I do), but also has Serato DJ on a Win 7 machine, that isn't as stable as Scratchlive on XP.

However, the writing is on the wall...

Just as it is for cats who are b*tching about the SL1 and 57S.

That technology will become OBSOLETE....in one form or another....

C'mon, the minute the SL3 came out, sound quality wise? the SL1 and 57S were DONE.

Period.

Did they continue to support it past it's life cycle?

Of course they did, but any TRUE tech head knew the writing was on the wall..

It's the same with Serato DJ/Scratchlive and MAC vs. Windows....

The only thing that can POSSIBLY save Windows user's in the future is if (and I don't know if they have it), but a TRULY MAC OS that can run on Windows Hardware....and I mean FLAWLESSLY....

THEN you wouldn't have to worry about Serato DJ on various OS platforms.

Quote:
Serato will get in bed with a company that offers 'something for every budget' and then supports the product with a software that isn't for everyone. Where is the sense in that? I don't know of another DJ software developer that behaves this way across platforms. If someone does, by all means talk about it.

It's called trying to run a business. Put ALL possibilities out there, but when you drill it down, look at the numbers of who's using what hardware, and support that first.

Y'all have to remember -

The 56/56s/57(aside from the button issues) seem to be damn near indestructible...

What happened to Technics when they made the indestructible 1200?

I mean c'mon, 3 MAGNETIC FADERS on the 56S?

No more BS power supply connection?

Unmatched sound quality?

Dude, that's the last mixer I will EVER buy.

They NEED to put out devices that need to be UPGRADED over time...

However, maintaining 2 OS's is just too many resources that could be used for "other things"
Joee 5:49 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

theres nothing wrong with catfish and yams……..ummm i'm hungry
FabulousFrequencies 6:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
It's called trying to run a business. Put ALL possibilities out there, but when you drill it down, look at the numbers of who's using what hardware, and support that first.

The numbers, sir. cdn.cultofmac.com

I'm sure that pie chart would look a lot different if the market share were based solely on purchases for professional audio use. But is that superiority shining? Or developer influence on the market? If Serato came out tomorrow and said 'We just perfected SDJ for windows, and you can expect the same reliability and speed once only enjoyed by Apple owners' How many people are buying the 1500.00 unit instead of the 500.00 one and 2 spares?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:19 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure that pie chart would look a lot different if the market share were based solely on purchases for professional audio use. But is that superiority shining? Or developer influence on the market? If Serato came out tomorrow and said 'We just perfected SDJ for windows, and you can expect the same reliability and speed once only enjoyed by Apple owners' How many people are buying the 1500.00 unit instead of the 500.00 one and 2 spares?

Sure in this fantasy world windows $50 pcs win (except video djs will still buy mac because mix emergency ONLY works on mac)

But this is a fantasy, the reality is no matter what it will always work better on mac dueto the os and lack of third party variables
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

I'm sure that pie chart would look a lot different if the market share were based solely on purchases for professional audio use . But is that superiority shining? Or developer influence on the market? If Serato came out tomorrow and said 'We just perfected SDJ for windows, and you can expect the same reliability and speed once only enjoyed by Apple owners' How many people are buying the 1500.00 unit instead of the 500.00 one and 2 spares?

BUT that's EXACTLY the point...

If the numbers were based SOLELY on Professional DJ's and whether or not they use a MAC vs. PC, those numbers would be DRASTICALLY different...

The MAJORITY of DJ's that I know, (both tech and non tech geeks) are overwhelmingly using MACS.

That's not going to change, unless again, someone comes up with a MAC OS, that runs "As Good As A Standalone MAC", on a Windows based hardware.

I could even rock with your hypothesis of if Serato one day made the claim that they have made the Windows version as stable and responsive as the MAC version, EXCEPT that if you look at the marketplace, APPLE PRODUCTS are taking over as far as CONSUMERS are concerned in a BIG way.

Windows will probably still stand strong in the Corporate sector, but even iPads and things are chipping away at that....

SO again, we're at "What hardware is everybody purchasing?"

The coolest thing I think Apple did was when they designed the iPad to be nothing more than a big giant iPhone.

Genius.

Now all of a sudden, you have a product that anybody with an iPhone ALREADY knows how to use...

What can be said about Windows 8 in that respect?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:23 PM - 6 November, 2013
Now I said CONSUMER market...

Take into consideration WHO Serato is now trying to MARKET to, to keep a business running...

Is it STRICTLY PROFESSIONAL DJ's anymore?
the_black_one 6:29 PM - 6 November, 2013
it's fucking simple ..... it runs better on a Mac!!!! How many way do you folks need to be told that ...... If you want the best experience possible you need to buy a mac .... pony up the money and thats it ... or buy used ........ if you are in search for the best then you know where to look and what you must leave behind ....... That some of you are hard headed and stubborn is a whole other issue ..........

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:38 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
it's fucking simple ..... it runs better on a Mac!!!!

Again, for those with the lower IQ -
Quote:

That's a given.

That argument is dead.

And I suppose your answer is because "MACS ARE JUST BETTER"...right?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:40 PM - 6 November, 2013
For example, if this is true -
Quote:
I take a computer with Windows on it without a dedicated GPU, I can't run Serato Video due to an arbitrary lockout by Serato. I take the EXACT SAME COMPUTER, install OS X on it, and suddenly I can run Serato Video.

Then that's some BS....

Yes, BS...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:46 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's a given.

That argument is dead.

Because the mac OS is geared from the ground up for the audio visual market, unix based platform. I dont underatand whats so hard to grasp about a platform that was originally adopted by and pushed on media professionals being great at processing media
the_black_one 6:51 PM - 6 November, 2013
cue in the ........ I been running SL on my XXXXX computer and have had no problems .....

then cue in the ...... How is video running on that thing ....... and ME?

then cue in .... i dont need video and i only use my computer to DJ and thats it

then cue in ..... get a mac

then cue in ..... TOOOOOOO expensive

then cue in ....... STFU and stick to what works

then cue in ...... barbara and her old ass jokes

NM NH
Joee 6:55 PM - 6 November, 2013
ay listen macs are for the dis that are making
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's a given.

That argument is dead.

um i'm gona have to jump in here and say yes……

i want to see someone on a 2008 windows pc do what i did here on a 2008 pre unibody mac serato.com
FabulousFrequencies 6:59 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
EXCEPT that if you look at the marketplace, APPLE PRODUCTS are taking over as far as CONSUMERS are concerned in a BIG way.

This is confusing? The pie graph I linked is for the consumer market share. Windows as an OS holds 90.81% of the consumer market share in total. Windows 8 just overtook os/x 10.6 through 10.8 combined. Holding 9.81% of a consumer market doesn't look like 'taking over'. Maybe i'm misunderstanding.
SeriousCyrus 9:22 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Because the mac OS is geared from the ground up for the audio visual market, unix based platform. I dont underatand whats so hard to grasp about a platform that was originally adopted by and pushed on media professionals being great at processing media

This true, afaik the windows audio drivers have only just caught up with what apple have had internally for years, simple things like a dedicated channel for system sounds, or making it easy to work with and process the raw audio streams with a standard api.

And while windows does have access to the latest gfx cards, if you want a top notch gaming rig, a pc is the way to go, but without the standard hardware base the apple has, it must be a nighmare to cater to so many different configurations, and how can you support such a thing when most users have no clue about properly optimising their machines for the tasks they want in the first place? Or even think that they'd have too.

While it is possible to have something like serato perform equally well on mac or pc, it is easier and quicker to get it performing well on a mac, the apis are optimised to work well on whatever hardware is supported by the os, with little tweaking required.

For this you sacrifice some versatility, but as apple has realised, most users don't need such versatility.
Papa Midnight 9:39 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
And while windows does have access to the latest gfx cards, if you want a top notch gaming rig, a pc is the way to go, but without the standard hardware base the apple has, it must be a nighmare to cater to so many different configurations, and how can you support such a thing when most users have no clue about properly optimising their machines for the tasks they want in the first place? Or even think that they'd have too.

If a user is putting that much into a PC to configure a gaming or performance rig, trust me when I say they've got it fine-tuned to maximum optimisation of their hardware (to the best of their ability).

No one spends $1,500 to build a Gaming PC and not know what they're doing. The NVIDIA Titan alone is about $1000 and I've seen people running Tri-SLI setups with that thing.
CMOS 9:44 PM - 6 November, 2013
Ive been saying for years serato should just drop windows support instead of half assing it.

They never even released a windows 8 version of SSL. Never a mention.

I have PCs that blow my mac out of the water in every test possible, except for SSL.

Which means it was coded like shit.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
This whole conversation is just like saying, my car out performs my boat in every way, its faster in the track, better gas mileage, looks better.....except in the water...FUCK YOU HONDA
SeriousCyrus 10:00 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

If a user is putting that much into a PC to configure a gaming or performance rig, trust me when I say they've got it fine-tuned to maximum optimisation of their hardware (to the best of their ability).

No one spends $1,500 to build a Gaming PC and not know what they're doing. The NVIDIA Titan alone is about $1000 and I've seen people running Tri-SLI setups with that thing.

I'm not denying that, absolutely not, but that's not the average user, and def not the average dj serato caters to. Which is my point, someone who builds their own gaming rig is a different kettle of fish to the guy looking for the minimun specs to run serato for a budget laptop.
FabulousFrequencies 10:24 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
This whole conversation is just like saying, my car out performs my boat in every way, its faster in the track, better gas mileage, looks better.....except in the water...FUCK YOU HONDA

Except the part were you're associating the entire body of the work with it's function. I could see how that works in your example, but its not an apples to apples comparison here. It's my understanding, albeit I could be wrong, that it's not even the OS. It's a combination of an ignorant Intel compiler and their refusal to optimize code compiles, and the audio API for os/x which can actually stand alone. There are in fact open source audio API's that are highly customizable and cross platform that would offer identical performance cross platform. Why not entertain the idea of packaging Serato with a stand alone API for everyone's benefit? The issue goes deeper than the skin here. This is development bias and i'll believe otherwise when more examples of DJ and/or audio production software exhibit the same cross platform issues Serato does. However, despite asking, nobody can cite a single program with this sort of platform divide.
d:raf 10:27 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

marine.honda.com

:D
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:55 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Except the part were you're associating the entire body of the work with it's function. I could see how that works in your example, but its not an apples to apples comparison here. It's my understanding, albeit I could be wrong, that it's not even the OS. It's a combination of an ignorant Intel compiler and their refusal to optimize code compiles, and the audio API for os/x which can actually stand alone. There are in fact open source audio API's that are highly customizable and cross platform that would offer identical performance cross platform. Why not entertain the idea of packaging Serato with a stand alone API for everyone's benefit? The issue goes deeper than the skin here. This is development bias and i'll believe otherwise when more examples of DJ and/or audio production software exhibit the same cross platform issues Serato does. However, despite asking, nobody can cite a single program with this sort of platform divide.

Mix emergency

So your suggestion is to bring down mac performance and increase pc prrformance by using a stand alone api....fucking socialist.
Thundercat 10:58 PM - 6 November, 2013
I must say, it bugs the piss out of me too. I was this close -><- to surrendering myself. I had the Macbook in the cart, ready to check out but I couldn't commit. Decided to just brute force my way into better performance with a rig a can do work on like a grown up, and game on because I am pro like that ^_^. Going to buy the 64 at tax time to give the middle finger to the i-series vs TTM57 fight I invited into my home. Will keep my 57 and ancient XP running 2006 Dell Inspiron as my backup.

You all my continue now :)
FabulousFrequencies 11:01 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
So your suggestion is to bring down mac performance and increase pc prrformance by using a stand alone api....

What makes you think a customized stand alone audio API wouldn't actually meet or exceed the performance of the os/x api?

Quote:
fucking socialist.

You assume a lot more than you know.
FabulousFrequencies 11:01 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Mix emergency

BTW, That is not a cross platform program. Nice try.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:05 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Mix emergency

BTW, That is not a cross platform program. Nice try.

EXACTLY! Now lets expand on that
FabulousFrequencies 11:11 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Let's not. I asked for a cross platform example that exhibits the same issues as Serato. That is not a cross platform program.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:12 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
So your suggestion is to bring down mac performance and increase pc prrformance by using a stand alone api....

What makes you think a customized stand alone audio API wouldn't actually meet or exceed the performance of the os/x api?

Quote:
fucking socialist.

You assume a lot more than you know.

Why do I think a third party custom api will not out perform the api apple uses fir their os/hardware specs? Really?
the_black_one 11:13 PM - 6 November, 2013
there is a reason that ME is mac only......... its self explanatory

NM NH
FabulousFrequencies 11:15 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Why do I think a third party custom api will not out perform the api apple uses fir their os/hardware specs? Really?

Core Audio is BASED on OpenAL. Anything else?
Papa Midnight 11:48 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Core Audio is BASED on OpenAL. Anything else?

For which, on PC, the counter-part is Rapture3D which is EXCELLENT - and that's the free version.
SeriousCyrus 11:53 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Let's not. I asked for a cross platform example that exhibits the same issues as Serato. That is not a cross platform program.

What i'm seeing is an explosion in visual apps on macs, simply because they are so easy to develop on a mac platform, as a single developer i can build an app suitable for for a large portion of the market without too much effort, i wouldn't even know where to begin on a pc platform, i don't want to bother with the trouble, i don't have the resources to cope with it. If something i develop becomes successful, i might hire someone to do a pc version, but bloody hell, it would have to make a lot.
WarpNote 2:01 AM - 7 November, 2013
@FabulousFrequencies, one thing not mentioned in this thread yet:

The major part of audio pro's are running OSX, sure there exceptions, but still the majority is on a mac. In other words, the pro developers will cater to these clients first and foremost. They will get into beta testing, and partner up to have the best products available. From a developers perspective, this means bugs better and easier relations with the client base, and bugs will be squashed faster. This client base also have general higher knowledge in music production than the windows based ones. I'm not saying there aren't skilled PC based audio pros, but in general they are harder to come by.

Also I'm not saying its right, but still a fact of life. I do agree that Serato (and other vendors) needs to cater to ALL of their client base, now that they have so many low level hardware solutions in their line up, they probably are addressing the issues.

They way I see it is: when I started DJing, I went with cheaper mixers, headphones, speakers, etc. But once I knew I was getting deep into DJing, I wanted to upgrade my stuff. That would mean quality decks (Techs Turntables/ higher end Pio CDJ's), mixer (Rane, A&H, higher end Pio, etc)

I do understand your frustrations, in a perfect world the regular PC would perform on par in Serato software, but usually they don't. PC's rule in other areas like gaming, 3D graphics, RED digital media etc. I wish Apple would too, but they don't, so I also need Highend PC's for my graphics work. Its unfortunate, but that's life. I rather spend time working with the best tools than complaining...
djpuma_gemini 4:07 AM - 7 November, 2013
Hell yeah I got mad.
Still mad
Why you ask.
I'll tell you.

I'm mad that they still support PC's
Mix Emergency got it right. Don't have a mac, can't use Mix Emergency.
Simple as that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:10 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

There is NOTHING wrong with that. Do what you do BEST...

When we ask "WHY", it's directed at SERATO, not the MAC / Laptop builders...

Serato on MAC > Serato on Windows.... that's a NO BRAINER.

The issue is that IF you have EQUAL hardware, then the SOFTWARE that runs on the hardware should run equally well..

The ONLY difference is the OS....

The software DESIGNED to run on MACS runs smooth...

The software DESIGNED to run on Windows IS SUPPOSED TO run smooth...

It doesn't.

And it's not because Windows is whack...

It's because the software is not written as WELL for Windows as it is for MAC.

That's it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:19 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
cue in the ........ I been running SL on my XXXXX computer and have had no problems .....

then cue in the ...... How is video running on that thing ....... and ME?

then cue in .... i dont need video and i only use my computer to DJ and thats it

then cue in ..... get a mac

then cue in ..... TOOOOOOO expensive

then cue in ....... STFU and stick to what works

then cue in ...... barbara and her old ass jokes

NM NH

Again -> educationblog.dallasnews.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:23 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
EXCEPT that if you look at the marketplace, APPLE PRODUCTS are taking over as far as CONSUMERS are concerned in a BIG way.

This is confusing? The pie graph I linked is for the consumer market share. Windows as an OS holds 90.81% of the consumer market share in total. Windows 8 just overtook os/x 10.6 through 10.8 combined. Holding 9.81% of a consumer market doesn't look like 'taking over'. Maybe i'm misunderstanding.

You're trying to tell me that iPads and iPhones make up that marketshare in that pie?

iOS software is included in that breakdown?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:24 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

While it is possible to have something like serato perform equally well on mac or pc, it is easier and quicker to get it performing well on a mac, the apis are optimised to work well on whatever hardware is supported by the os, with little tweaking required.

For this you sacrifice some versatility, but as apple has realised, most users don't need such versatility.

I totally agree with this...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:25 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Ive been saying for years serato should just drop windows support instead of half assing it.

They never even released a windows 8 version of SSL. Never a mention.

I have PCs that blow my mac out of the water in every test possible, except for SSL.

Which means it was coded like shit.

Boom.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:29 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

smh...

No, it's moreso like you have a phone that allows you to do everything you need to do when you're in range of the carrier supplied transmitters...

The minute you go 'ROAM' using other carriers transmitters, now all of a sudden your reception is spotty...

Still works....but not was well.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:44 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Going to buy the 64 at tax time to give the middle finger to the i-series vs TTM57 fight I invited into my home. Will keep my 57 and ancient XP running 2006 Dell Inspiron as my backup.

You all my continue now :)

Oh, I haven't even BEGUN to address the i-series issues!

But, here it is...

THAT IS A SIGN that there COULD be more processor problems on the Windows side in the future.

How many cats were left out to dry during that blackout?

Who's fault was that anyway?

Regardless, if THAT doesn't show you where Windows is going to be ultimately with all this, then nothing will.
the_black_one 5:46 AM - 7 November, 2013
so when are you gonna buy a mac???????????

NM NH
the_black_one 5:52 AM - 7 November, 2013
if your soooooo many light years ahead then why don't you have a mac??????

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:54 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Hell yeah I got mad.

Still mad

Why you ask.

I'll tell you.

Simple as that.

I have NO problem with that...

Can you imagine IF Serato became ONLY MAC based?

How many fly by night DJ careers would end?

I'll tell you...

NONE.

They would all get Virtual DJ.

But what would also happen is that the "Professional" DJ would all be using MACS and now you have the art of DJ'ing again having a LITTLE something (price) that would stop those who aren't taking the artform SERIOUSLY, from easily using a "Professional Product" like Serato.

However, those that are HIRING US, basically don't care what software we use to play to the crowd.....

So the ONLY people checking for "Professionalism" at a sound management level are ...

other DJ's.

I'm sure Professional DJ's would have no problem going to a MAC if that's all that was supported.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:55 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

Quote:
if your soooooo many light years ahead then why don't you have a mac??????

NM NH

educationblog.dallasnews.com
Papa Midnight 5:55 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
whats so hard to grasp about a platform that was originally adopted by and pushed on media professionals

Please tell me you didn't just say that Mac OS was originally adopted by and pushed on media professionals. Also please tell me that you're not saying that OS X (in present day) is marketed to and pushed on media professionals.

It's a choice. Simple as that. Photoshop / Premiere Pro / Image Ready / Illustrator / After Effects / Bridge, etc. all work as good on Windows as they do on OS X (and Premiere Pro / Affect Effects work even better when running with GPU acceleration).

Quote:
Simple as that.

...and limited themselves to around 1/10th (+/-) of the total PC market at the same time. Simple as that.

Quote:
It's not because Windows is whack...

It's because the software is not written as WELL for Windows as it is for MAC.

That's it.

It really is that simple. Don't get me wrong, there are some PCs running Windows that aren't quite up to par, but when someone drops $1500 on a Windows laptop with the exact same or better specs as a brand new 15" MBP, they should have a reasonable expectation of on-par or better performance (store.apple.com).

As a perfect example, let's take a look at the MSI GS70 line of laptops, a series of units which have achieved great reviews from buyers and every tech news outlet that has reviewed it (www.google.com). Let's take the 2OD-001US model (www.newegg.com): Available at $1699.99, the dimensions are fairly similar and it EXCEEDS the base 15" MBP in everything except it's 16:9 and non-retina (So Apple's got them on Screen Resolution. This point is actually irrelevant considering the support of Serato applications on Retina displays, so for the time being, the MSI will actually offer you more screen real-estate than an MBP). There is a higher model GS70, but since we're looking at Base Models, I chose the 229US. You can compare it with the 001US (www.newegg.com) which comes with more RAM and a larger HDD and the 002US (www.newegg.com) which offers 2x SSDs in RAID0.

Spec for Spec, let's match these out:

MSI GS70 2OD-229US ($1549.99)
Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.40GHz
17.3" at 1920x1080
12GB DDR3 at 1600MHz
128GB SSD + 500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2G GDDR5
4 x USB 3.0
2 x Mini Displayport
1 x HDMI
Multi-color (user configurable) Backlit Full-size 102-Key Keyboard
SDXC Slot
Killer N1202 (Networking Chipset. Covers Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0, and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Multi-touch Synpatics Trackpad
Windows 8
2 Years Limited Part/Labor from MSI

(Fall 2013) Apple MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display ($1999.99)
2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Backlit Fullsize 78 Key Keyboard
Intel Iris Pro Graphics (no Dedicated GPU)
Two Thunderbolt Ports
Two USB 3.0 Ports
HDMI Port
SDXC Slot
Intel Wireless Chipset for 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0
Multi-touch Trackpad
OS X Mavericks
1 Year Limited Parts/Labor from Apple

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Windows PC. It far exceeds the MacBook Pro (with Retina) spec-for-spec.

There is no problem with the Operating System outside of a lack of support. Simply stated, the Windows port of the software is poorly coded. It's really that simple. Drop OS X on the same machine, and zing: No problems.

Take any fanboyism out of it, any favoritism, any Mac vs PC nonsense, any controllerist vs turntablist; and all of the other extraneous crap and remove it from the equation because it is utterly irrelevant.

Beyond the other bugs affecting both sides of the operating system coin, the software needs an overhaul. If you're going to say you support something, support it. That's all I'm asking for.

Quote:

NM NH

Quote:
Quote:

Dead silence.

Don't worry, though. I'll keep waiting.
the_black_one 5:58 AM - 7 November, 2013
Makes no sense ...... none ..... you speak like mac is the future but yet you dont adapt ..... SMFH ....... old built up wax i guess....

NM NH
the_black_one 6:00 AM - 7 November, 2013
mac is great and runs smooth yet imma keep this crap laptop from work cause im so "RADIO SHACK"

GTFO

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:07 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

NM NH

Quote:
Quote:

Dead silence.

Don't worry, though. I'll keep waiting.

EXACTLY.

He hasn't come up with an "Intelligent" answer yet.

If I've got my Windows XP box running the version of SL that I want, and there are NO hiccups, no latency, no crashes, AND can do a host of other things with it...

Why would I switch?

I'll tell you why...

Because TIME is precious nowadays.

That's it.

There will be NO notable performance improvement, well at least not enough to justify spending an extra 1000 or so since I (and even Thundercat have got our XP boxes tuned),

but moreso the "Peace of mind" that once I set it...

I can forget it...For a few years or so...

I can honestly say that Windows would probably need a good reinstall or so after a year or 2.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:11 AM - 7 November, 2013
Now if I was an "Average User DJ" such as yourself, HELL YEAH - you'd need a MAC.

Not much is expected of you in that arena.
the_black_one 6:15 AM - 7 November, 2013
i guess you don't expect that much out of jazzy jeff cause you know he uses mac .... STFU old man

NM NH
the_black_one 6:18 AM - 7 November, 2013
yeah and go ahead and tell jeff he is " average" just for using mac......

#OLDMANPROBLEMS

NM NH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:19 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
If you're going to say you support something, support it. That's all I'm asking for..

Here's the thing. They are supporting the Windows portion of it BY DEFAULT.

Why?

Larger potential "DJ" audience.

Kid gets a laptop, downloads Virtual DJ, some free songs, and thinks they've got what it takes.

Kid decides to "Step Up" his DJ game, so they get Serato and a Controller.

Do they run out and buy Serato, a Controller, AND a MAC?

Absolutely not....

I'm not mad at their marketing strategy, but it IS what it is.

For YEARS I've been asking WHY a MAC was better, and all I got were responses like "It just is"....nothing Intelligent...

serato.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:21 AM - 7 November, 2013
LMAO! You think because Jazzy Jeff uses a MAC he's AVERAGE?

No Raj, YOU are an AVERAGE K-Mart blue light DJ...So YES, you NEED a MAC.

Jeff only needs 2 turntables and a mixer...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:23 AM - 7 November, 2013
smh @ not understanding what an "Average User DJ" is versus a "Professional DJ"...
the_black_one 6:24 AM - 7 November, 2013
your old ass is the one that has a huge stick up it!!!!

NM NH
Papa Midnight 6:26 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
For YEARS I've been asking WHY a MAC was better, and all I got were responses like "It just is"....nothing Intelligent...

To this day, I have yet to hear someone tell me why OS X is "better" or tell me why Windows is "worse"; and whenever I try to have an intelligent conversation about it, this crap happens. But that's all irrelevant because, as more and more people are starting to find, it's not an OS problem so much as it is a software problem.
Laz219 6:36 AM - 7 November, 2013
I use both extensively, and mac for SSL. Would still always much prefer my PC than ever using OSX for anything else.
Never got why people get so crazy about it, I prefer windows but it's not like what anyone else uses affects me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:44 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

To this day, I have yet to hear someone tell me why OS X is "better" or tell me why Windows is "worse"; and whenever I try to have an intelligent conversation about it, this crap happens. But that's all irrelevant because, as more and more people are starting to find, it's not an OS problem so much as it is a software problem.

What's funny is that when I initially installed Scratchlive, all the stars and moons must have been aligned properly because for ME, it work perfect OUT OF THE BOX.

I've always done clean OS installs, so knowing that I was dedicating that laptop to DJ'ing, I started with a fresh OS install.

The ONLY thing I've ever adjusted on that thing was the buffer to the 1st notch.

I always heard that a MAC could go to the lowest setting.

When I saw all the problems that OTHER Windows users were having, I just KNEW they didn't know how to troubleshoot Windows, OR start off with a clean install.

Only when I got a BEEFIER BOX (still on XP) in every respect, (RAM, Video, Chipset, doing overviews in HALF the time, the works), -> serato.com
and I installed THE SAME version of ScratchLive on it, and it was FAILING, did I know something was "Really" wrong...
FabulousFrequencies 5:02 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
You're trying to tell me that iPads and iPhones make up that marketshare in that pie?

C'mon now. I think it's pretty obvious it's not. I'm not against you on this, but it should be reinforced that the context here is important. We're discussing windows vs. os/x and it's turning into Microsoft vs. Apple. Personally i'd like to keep it contained to Win Vs. Os/x as this is what's on the side of the box for the majority of Serato controllers. While ios is neat, and people are offering support, I don't see a lot of i-pads and i-phones creeping into venues using Serato. Expanding the conversation into entire products lines would drag Surface users & i-pod DJ's in here. What's next then? Xbox support? Just trying to keep this quarantined to what we're most likely to bring as a tool - A laptop. Surely that's reasonable.

Quote:

Doesn't mean they got it right, it means they made a decision. The developer has also stated that the decision is not carved in stone, there are just no plans to support it as of right now. What if 'Serato got it right' and dropped windows from the video plugin? I'm sure ME would be happy to 'get it right' and take the market share from them.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:09 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon now. I think it's pretty obvious it's not. I'm not against you on this, but it should be reinforced that the context here is important. We're discussing windows vs. os/x and it's turning into Microsoft vs. Apple. Personally i'd like to keep it contained to Win Vs. Os/x as this is what's on the side of the box for the majority of Serato controllers. While ios is neat, and people are offering support, I don't see a lot of i-pads and i-phones creeping into venues using Serato. Expanding the conversation into entire products lines would drag Surface users & i-pod DJ's in here. What's next then? Xbox support? Just trying to keep this quarantined to what we're most likely to bring as a tool - A laptop. Surely that's reasonable.

Eh, I have to respectfully disagree with that one.

I know that RIGHT NOW, there isn't a measurable amount of DJ's who are using an iPhone or iPad to do any controlling for DJ'ing purposes, but you can't ignore the fact that cats are writing DJ apps left and right, and all you need is one good app to start it off, and then it's an entirely different landscape.

Again, you have to compare apples to apples...

Your pie chart is not respresentative of the appropriate marketshare of Professional DJ's using MAC's vs. PC's...

Now if you want to throw in those "Fly By Night DJ's", that may very well be correct.
DJ Quartz 1:56 AM - 11 November, 2013
Wasn't mad at all!

In fact I immediately started enjoying Scratch Live/Itch/DJ and Video the minute I switched over.
DJ Remy USA 8:39 AM - 11 November, 2013
I will attempt to get this on topic

Before all this DVS mess was around I was bonafide beat maker (not a producer just beats) I was using Reason and Pro Tools 7 with rewire. I had a sony viao it ran pretty good however there were always issues running both programs at the same time unless I raised pro tools latency and Reason's too. Not to mention the occasional BSOD because of page fault errors or simply the computer running out of memory while bouncing audio files.

Some would say my viao was not powerful enough however it was top of line back then I spent 2 grand on that computer and I would always have problems mind you I have been REAL system administrator/CCNA certified professional along with great skills in batch scripting, and now power shell and linux.

The computer just didnt run the programs good and a buddy of mine said get a mac. Several blue screens later and many trouble calls to Propellerhead and Avid about the damn software crashing the computer I finally broke down and got a Mac.

Guess what? Not a problem since, Im not sure if Reason and Pro Tools were bias when coding their software or the Mac OS platform or if its just flat out more stable and easier to develop and code for. Mind you I can code my ass off when it comes to building servers via command line on linux systems but whenever I write VBS scripts and batch scripts on windows Im always fuking with it over and over just to get things to work.

Unix based development is easier and more stable to develop than that over cluttered and badly coded wndows kernal and this is from a certifed IT professional so my opinion should matter a little.

I am still a IT professional and I work with Windows servers and end user systems in a enterprise enviornment on daily basis I hate windows so much I really just dis like but its my job.
DJ Remy USA 8:46 AM - 11 November, 2013
Guys its a OS problem come on were are all the IT professionals that troubleshoot windows systems all day? Is there not a major break down everyday with either a server or some VIP's windows based system?

We have a small team of guys who work with the apple products we have and they barely do any damn work because there systems are always up and running at 100%
DJ Quartz 12:56 PM - 11 November, 2013
Hey Remy,

I'm an IT professional as well and it's true. Unless you have a very controlled Windows environment there is always problems.

However, with Windows 7 it's getting better.
Jiglo 2:30 PM - 11 November, 2013
For what it's worth, I never had any real problems running Scratch Live 1 on Windows XP from around 6 or 7 years ago and up to about 4 years ago, on laptops from that era. It all worked like a dream.

The main reason I switched to Macbooks is because the Windows laptops didn't last me longer than a year and a half before breaking. There's other reasons too though, such as a faster start up time etc

Now I can't speak for newer Serato products, as i've only tested SL1, SL2 and Numark V7's, but the V7's running Itch isn't perfect, even on a OS X, but still infinitely better than the Traktor Scratch set up I tried. That said, I haven't used my V7's for nearly a year, since I tried Dicers and realised they did pretty much what I bought the V7's for.

So I don't know if your issue is with a specific Serato product, but i'd be surprised if it's with Scratch Live.
DJ Quartz 4:26 PM - 11 November, 2013
I had a database issue with XP and had to move up to Windows 7 which I was able to workaround that but still had issues.

Once I wanted to use Serato Video, forget it. Tried and tried, nothing but problems.

Switched to Mac, OUT THE BOX it worked.
djcrap 7:05 PM - 12 November, 2013
yup any thing made by that half cute eaten apple is the way to go!