DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Organizing Music; Internal to External Drive. I'M FREAKING OUT

DJ Lil Phil 3:21 AM - 5 November, 2013
Anyone have any tips on how to organize music and related files (ex. Ableton files and other unrelated downloads)?

I need to make my MacBook Pro faster so I moved all my music onto an external drive and I got over my head by a lot and I'm freaking out because I have all these files I don't remember and I don't use anymore all on my external drive and I'm racing to delete them to focus on my music.

Another issue is setting up Serato to read my crates that I made to read off iTunes when I was using it on the internal drive. The crates aren't the same anymore and I don't know what to do about it.

I also don't think I have all my music in my drive because it's such a small amount of songs (5,000 +) and I thought I have more than that. I put all my music files in the Trash bin on my Mac and I feel like I should just abandon this whole task and restore everything back to normal before I delete the Trash and then I'm really screwed.

And to top it off, I have a major gig in 10 days. I know I should have waited to do this but I needed to speed up my MacBook. It's froze on me before and I don't want it to happen on my gig.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions/calming words???

Thank you.
(And sorry for the poor grammar…)
DJSPVCE 4:04 AM - 5 November, 2013
Wondershare's TidyMyMusic can help you get rid of duplicate files and identify files without tags. You might be able to download the free trial, just google it. It's a small piece of a bigger puzzle but it helps.
DJ Lil Phil 4:05 AM - 5 November, 2013
Quote:
Wondershare's TidyMyMusic can help you get rid of duplicate files and identify files without tags. You might be able to download the free trial, just google it. It's a small piece of a bigger puzzle but it helps.

Thank you very much!
RobDJ dotcom 9:27 PM - 5 November, 2013
Invest the time and clean up your mess. Keep only music you're gonna play at gigs on the internal and put other stuff external.
str8nger 6:02 AM - 7 November, 2013
start making folders with the months you downloaded that music then from there branch out and pick out songs you will play put them in crates
RobDJ dotcom 7:47 PM - 7 November, 2013
Realize that you started this thread just to b!tch about having to do it and continue ignoring the people telling you what you already knew before starting this. Now go clean your crates, then clean your room. And I'm talking about the dirty dishes on your dresser and all the dirty clothes you think I don't know about under your bed too! NOW!!! 1... 2...
DJ Lil Phil 8:24 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Realize that you started this thread just to b!tch about having to do it and continue ignoring the people telling you what you already knew before starting this. Now go clean your crates, then clean your room. And I'm talking about the dirty dishes on your dresser and all the dirty clothes you think I don't know about under your bed too! NOW!!! 1... 2...

No I made this because as the title said, I was freaking out. I've never made a big change like this before and as I'm sure you already know because of your attitude, I'm a young dj and technology isn't my friend most of the time. I wasn't ignoring, I was trying to make sure what I was doing was right. Beats losing all my music if I'm pressing buttons blind. I actually used your's and other tips and researched the other tips above and now I'm on the road to completing this task without screwing up as bad as I thought.

I don't care how you perceive me and my age. I recommend you only comment on posts you deem aren't written by amateurs. Might save yourself from sounding like and ahole to someone who is just trying to do the right thing for himself.

Too late I see.
RobDJ dotcom 8:38 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
No I made this because as the title said, I was freaking out. I've never made a big change like this before and as I'm sure you already know because of your attitude, I'm a young dj and technology isn't my friend most of the time...
I actually used your's and other tips and researched the other tips above and now I'm on the road to completing this task without screwing up as bad as I thought....

ROFL
I was just kidding around. Don't get all sensitive. I just thought the clean your room thing was a funny match for the crates. I didn't know I was hitting the nail on the head!
Glad you're paying attention to us old-timers. It's nice for me to think that somebody might avoid some of the headaches I went through cause I gave friendly advice and they took it. Best of luck to you!
DJ Lil Phil 8:44 PM - 7 November, 2013
ROFL
I was just kidding around. Don't get all sensitive. I just thought the clean your room thing was a funny match for the crates. I didn't know I was hitting the nail on the head!
Glad you're paying attention to us old-timers. It's nice for me to think that somebody might avoid some of the headaches I went through cause I gave friendly advice and they took it. Best of luck to you!

Thank you. I reacted because I have been ridiculed before (ex. my workplace, not djing) because of my age. Many assume someone under the legal age is incapable of completing tasks. If I gain as much knowledge as possible, I can use it to my advantage and show that just because I'm a kid, I may know a lot more then someone experienced may know. DJing is unfortunately a prime example of this.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:08 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

No I made this because as the title said, I was freaking out. I've never made a big change like this before and as I'm sure you already know because of your attitude, I'm a young dj and technology isn't my friend most of the time.

Isnt your friend?! If it wasnt for technology YOU probably wouldnt be a dj in the first place, who are you kidding?
DJ Lil Phil 12:56 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Isnt your friend?! If it wasnt for technology YOU probably wouldnt be a dj in the first place, who are you kidding?

I learned on tech 12s when I was 7 years old. I've used techs, cdjs, controllers, internal mode, etc. Also, I'm not an expert at Serato, Apple products, or anything for that matter. I highly doubt you are the same.

If it wasn't for technology, YOU probably couldn't dj to your fullest capacity. Will you be bringing thousands upon thousands of records to a gig?
the_black_one 3:17 PM - 8 November, 2013
Ohhhhhh.... Line stepper!!!!

NM NH
DJ Remix Detroit 4:13 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
I learned on tech 12s when I was 7 years old.

hmmm... this story sounds familiar....

oh yeah: serato.com

*DJ WILL G was exposed to Vinyl Records on Technics 1210Mk2 from the tender age of Severn*
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:25 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

*DJ WILL G was exposed to Vinyl Records on Technics 1210Mk2 from the tender age of Severn*

What age is severn in engrish
DJ Lil Phil 4:50 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

And I would copy this guy for what reason?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:58 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why dont you tell us
RobDJ dotcom 5:00 PM - 8 November, 2013
Okay Phil. Think I'll be "that guy" again.
I thought your concern was getting your music in order and aspiring as a DJ?
GET FOCUSED MAN!!!

If you're all done and it's all good then it's all good. I've got a feeling your side tracking to play blast with us on here. Sh!t talking back and forth with us goofing around isn't going to contribute to your DJ skills. We're just fooling around in off time. If any one of us was pressed about getting ready for a gig then trust and believe we'd be ghost till it was over. THEN we'd be back tellin stories about it.
RobDJ dotcom 5:02 PM - 8 November, 2013
Watching the clock
DJ Remix Detroit 5:04 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

check out his youtube vidz, you could learn alot
DJ Lil Phil 5:35 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Why dont you tell us

Congratulations! You figured me out!

Quote:
Okay Phil. Think I'll be "that guy" again.
I thought your concern was getting your music in order and aspiring as a DJ?
GET FOCUSED MAN!!!

If you're all done and it's all good then it's all good. I've got a feeling your side tracking to play blast with us on here. Sh!t talking back and forth with us goofing around isn't going to contribute to your DJ skills. We're just fooling around in off time. If any one of us was pressed about getting ready for a gig then trust and believe we'd be ghost till it was over. THEN we'd be back tellin stories about it.

I'm not trying to sh!t talk or blast anyone. The whole point of this was to see what advice others could give me out of their own kindness to help a fellow dj. If I feel like someone is undermining me because of how I type or how I sound, I'll either react or sit back. That's who I am even if my question has been answered or not.

I'm not goofing off either; My tasks are shortening in time span everyday I continue to work on this. The process is becoming easier and simpler and I'm happy about that.
RobDJ dotcom 5:46 PM - 8 November, 2013
Heavy sigh

Quote:
I'm not trying to sh!t talk or blast anyone...

I'm not goofing off either...

WE are goofing off and blasting.
YOU are letting yourself get sucked in.

On a side note:
Will somebody start a thread about how to edit quotes? These 500 line quotes referencing three words out of the whole mess make me CRAZY! Just quote the part you're interested in and delete the rest. It's so tacky.
 6 5:54 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:
Will somebody start a thread about how to edit quotes? These 500 line quotes referencing three words out of the whole mess make me CRAZY! Just quote the part you're interested in and delete the rest. It's so tacky.

Tacky
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Taco
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Tactile
 6 5:55 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Tarantula
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Talk
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Taladega
 6 5:56 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Word!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:46 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Heavy sigh

Quote:

On a side note:

Word!

World!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:47 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
I'll either react or sit back.

What other options do u have?