Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

MacBook Pro 2013

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL2
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
pmjm 9:27 PM - 24 October, 2013
I'm about to order one of the new 2013 MacBook Pros from apple.com (the ones announced earlier this week). My last laptop died last week so I *need* something new for Halloween. Any known compatibility problems with ScratchLive on these new MacBooks?
acole 10:08 PM - 24 October, 2013
Good question, I'm just about to order one.... But if I drop 3k and it doesn't work I'm gonna be pissed....
Serato, Support
Micah G. 10:09 PM - 24 October, 2013
Hey pmjm,

Are you talking about the MacBook Pro Retina? If so, no, there's no known compatibility issues, but there is a minor display issue.

As you probably already know, Retina displays have 4 smaller pixels in place of 1 pixel in normal screens, because of this they are able to display information in much higher resolutions. With some older applications the software does not scale properly and instead of one of the old pixels values being displayed across 4 smaller pixels evenly the edges can become blurred. This has been noted with a number of pre-Retina applications. Here is a description I have found on an apple users forum that explains the issue quite nicely: forums.macrumors.com

Its not a software issue as much as it is a compatibility issue. Imagine watching old VHS tapes on a brand new HD tv, what you will notice is more imperfections rather than an increase in image quality.

Obviously we would like to develop full Retina support in the future so this would no longer be an issue but I wouldn't be able to give you a timeframe for that to be completed.

Other than that, it should work without issue, but if you do run into any problems, start another help request, and we can look into that for you.

Hope that helps :-)

Cheers,
Micah
deejdave 12:19 AM - 25 October, 2013
All of the new Bacbook Pro's (2013) models are retina. In other words all of the new MBP laptops will appear blurry until Serato adds Retina Support. They should work 100% though. Alternatively remember the new MBP's 100% come with factory install of Mavericks operating system. This is NOT downgradedable as the new hardware needs Mavericks or higher as this is what it was designed for. Please remember Serato has already stated they are not supporting Mavericks just yet. You won't have to wait anywhere near as long as Windows 8 users obviously (and rightly so) but just know the compatibility has not been fully tested by the support team as of yet.
pmjm 1:36 AM - 25 October, 2013
I understand about Retina and Mavericks. My question is more about any possible hardware incompatibilities with the new Haswell chips or any of the other new stuff Apple put in there (new PCIe bridge on the hard drive, new video cards, etc). I just want to avoid the situation I got in when I got my last Windows laptop with a the Core i Intel chip that had some massive problems with ScratchLive.

Thanks for your answers!
Seratobel 8:03 PM - 25 October, 2013
Hi pmjm,

I just purchased the new macbook pro retina with Mavericks. I am experiencing some weird issue with the pioneer ddj-sx. Everthing works fine except that the sound distorts when you try to adjust the song speed using the jogs.

When I use my old macbook (not running Mavericks) I don't have that problem so i think it's linked to an usb compatibility issue (same issue existed with the haswell macbook air at launch, the issue remained until apple upgraded to 10.8.5)

Heard anything similar from other Mavericks/New MBP users?

Thanks
Hi pmjm,

I just purchased the new macbook pro retina with Mavericks. I am experiencing some weird issue with the pioneer ddj-sx. Everthing works fine except that the sound distorts when you try to adjust the song speed using the jogs.

When I use my old macbook (not running Mavericks) I don't have that problem so i think it's linked to an usb compatibility issue (same issue existed with the haswell macbook air at launch, the issue remained until apple upgraded to 10.8.5)

Thanks
Hi pmjm,

Thanks
Seratobel 8:06 PM - 25 October, 2013
sorry for the triple post, was having some connection isuue
Seratobel 12:43 PM - 26 October, 2013
I have created a separate post with more details on the issue here: serato.com
pmjm 12:06 AM - 27 October, 2013
Thank you for your report Seratobel. This is precisely the type of thing I'm worried about.
Seratobel 7:57 AM - 27 October, 2013
Hi pmjm,

Yesterday i further digged into the issue and actually the problem was not linked to the MacBook but to some setting in serato (key lock was not engaged). Everything works fine now.
Quite frankly i would not expect compatibility issues like with the haswell mbair.

I you have anymore questions let me know.
pmjm 1:25 PM - 27 October, 2013
Well, I ordered the new MBP so if I have any issues I will post again here. Thanks again all.