DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Remixes that are actually better than the original

DJ DisGrace 1:40 PM - 23 October, 2013
I was checking out a big name dj this past weekend and had a gripe with some of the opener's song selection. He would play the remix of a song, and people for the most part didn't really know what was going on. i.e. he played the Bugatti remix, when 99% of the club just wanted to hear the original. It was a very anticlimactic follow up to the hype caused by dropping the first part of the song.

For the most part, alot of these remixes with 10 extra rappers never really do as well as the original, yet some djs think that playing the remix is the business....

Only a few remixes have actually been better than the original, and are still worth playing over the original. Let's start a list!

Craig David - Fill Me In (Full Crew Remix)
Lil Jon - Get Low (Reggae Remix) event his only works with the right crowd
M.O.P. - Ante Up Remix
Clipse - Grindin' (Selecta Remix)
Usher - U Got It Bad (Soulpower Remix)
Usher - You Remid Me (Remix)

Coincidentally this list is looking a lot like the "Songs you wish they made a video for"...
DJ Mozo 5:43 PM - 23 October, 2013
I would say the

I need a girl Pt 2. - P Diddy
But does that count as a remix? Or a continuation? I consider it a remix. lol.

There are honestly some good edm remixes that some would consider better than the originals for some aspects. Like the Cinema(Skrillex Remix). Dropping the remix used to get the crowd going nuts, where as the original would go better with a trance'ish crowd. Obviously dropping either at a hip hop club wouldn't work, but yea. There are plenty of EDM remixes much better than the originals. But that's a whole other topic. MAybe ya should put a disclaimer and keep out the EDM genre in this. Lol. That whole genre is based on preferences. Some people don't like trance, but like dubstep remixes of trance songs. So that's all debateable by preference. Anyways.... lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:02 PM - 23 October, 2013
Ellie golding - lights bassnectar remix
O.B.1 6:52 PM - 23 October, 2013
We Can't Stop - G Duppy reggae remix
DJ GaFFle 7:02 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
Clipse - Grindin' (Selecta Remix)

It wasn't bad but you can't improve on perfection. The original was pure perfection.

(nm)
Kool DJ Sheak One 7:07 PM - 23 October, 2013
Jeru The Damaja- You Can't Stop The Prophet (Pete Rock Remix)
d:raf 7:20 PM - 23 October, 2013
Notorious B.I.G.: "One More Chance"

In fact, does anyone even remember the original exists at all? Watchwww.youtube.com
Taipanic 7:24 PM - 23 October, 2013
There were so many of the original 80's-90's Ultimix remixes that hit way harder than the originals, a few:
Let The Beat Hit 'em - Lisa Lisa
(I've Know I've Been) Losing You - Uptown Girls
Joy & Pain - Rob Base
Word In My Eyes - Depeche Mode
Say it's Gonna Rain - Will To Power
Set Adrift On Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
Mr. Kirk's Nightmare - 4Hero

Can't tell much difference in any of their new stuff...
Taipanic 7:25 PM - 23 October, 2013
^^ Actually meant Fading Away from Will To Power.
Kool DJ Sheak One 7:28 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:

In fact, does anyone even remember the original exists at all? Watchwww.youtube.com

I prefer the Hip Hop remix personally!
HighTopFade 8:02 PM - 23 October, 2013
I like the reggae remixes to Wreckx N Effect's Rumpshaker and Mims' This Is Why I'm Hot better than the originals.
CMOS 8:02 PM - 23 October, 2013
Talib - Get By remix
jprime 8:04 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:

I must hear this. How have I not heard this. #hiphoprage
Papa Midnight 8:24 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
Ellie golding - lights bassnectar remix

Agreed, but I prefer the Dub Scout remix a bit more. Not too Dubsteppy, but it's a bit more... warm.

Quote:
Quote:

I like the original for R&B and Happy Hour sets.
d:raf 8:32 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The one I posted is the original. Kinda vulgar...

This is the far more popular remix (that I suspect you're talking about): Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 8:33 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The one I posted is the original. Kinda vulgar...

This is the far more popular remix (that I suspect you're talking about): Watchwww.youtube.com

That is the one. For some reason, I always thought the hip hop version was the remix. Admittedly, I've never heard that version.
Papa Midnight 8:34 PM - 23 October, 2013
Revision: That is the one. I was thinking of the Hip Hop Remix. Admittedly, I've never heard that version.
d:raf 8:38 PM - 23 October, 2013
The first one was the one that came on the early releases of the album/CD; later reissues replaced it with the remix.

What is the "hip hop remix"? I don't even know if I know that one...
Benzito 8:40 PM - 23 October, 2013
easy

Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours (Revisited)
d:raf 8:42 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
What is the "hip hop remix"? I don't even know if I know that one...

Never mind; found it (Youtube powers: activate!). It's better than the original too... Watchwww.youtube.com
d:raf 8:43 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
easy

Good call.
O.B.1 8:50 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
easy

Good call.

Our forum's very own DJ_Soo produced a dope re-rub of that song that I enjoy playing when the crowd is right...
got2b Ru 8:59 PM - 23 October, 2013
Arrested Development - People Everyday remix

The album mix sucked so bad it made me wanna punch them in the face for tricking people into buying the CD.
DJUnknown 9:06 PM - 23 October, 2013
Nappy Heads remix - Fugees
Flava in Ya Ear Remix
DJUnknown 9:07 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:

The album mix sucked so bad it made me wanna punch them in the face for tricking people into buying the CD.

Just like when I got tricked into buying Monie Love's album, that was garbage too... she was so fine and sounded great on "Ladies First"
stevie o 9:13 PM - 23 October, 2013
No reason to cry-Judy Torres-
Glenn Fricia rmx
DJUnknown 9:15 PM - 23 October, 2013
Still #1 (Numero Uno Re-Recording) - KRS One
You Must Learn (Caucus Mountain Mix) - KRS One
Serious remix with KRS One - Steady B
DJ Steve R. 9:34 PM - 23 October, 2013
Mariah Carey - Fantasy Bad Boy Remix
got2b Ru 9:53 PM - 23 October, 2013
Black Moon - I gotcha open remix
A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario remix
LL Cool J - Jingling Baby remix
Dru Hill - Sleeping in My Bed remix
dj jamalot 10:16 PM - 23 October, 2013
let's get married - Remarqable remix Hits...
dj jamalot 10:18 PM - 23 October, 2013
it's like that - jason nevins remix...
Papa Midnight 11:34 PM - 23 October, 2013
Randomly pulling a few here...

2Pac (Feat. Dr. Dre) - California Love (Long Radio Remix)
Delerium (Feat. Sarah McLachlan) - Silence (DJ Tiësto's "In Search of Sunrise" Remix)
Ice Cube (Feat. Das Efx) - Check Yo Self (Remix)
Jermaine Dupri (Feat. Ludacris, Murphy Lee, P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg) - Welcome to Atlanta (Coast 2 Coast Remix)
N.W.A. - Express Yourself (Remix)
Rob Zombie - Dragula [Hot Rod Herman Remix]
DJ DisGrace 11:44 PM - 23 October, 2013
Some big tunes here for sure! Yes, maybe I should have clarified that EDM wasn't the category of remix I was talking about... but there are a few good examples above in that category too. Here's a couple more:

Whitney - It's Not Right But It's OK (Thunderpuss Remix)
Deborah Cox - Nobody's Supposed To Be Here
Wyclef - Gone Till November Remix
Mary J - Real Love (Bad Boy Remix) but I got love for the original too!
Pink ft Redman - Get the Party Started Remix
Nina Sky ft VUBZ Kartel - Move Your Body (Remix)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:42 AM - 24 October, 2013
Das Efx Mic Checka Remix
Jodeci -Freakin You Remix
Brandy - I Wanna Be Down Remix
Meth & Mary - All I Need
LL Cool J - I Shot Ya Remix
Skin Deep w/ Keith Murray -No More Games Remix
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remix Detroit 12:54 AM - 24 October, 2013
Estelle Ft Janelle Monae - Do My Thing (JayCeeOh Remix 2.0)

soundcloud.com
got2b Ru 12:55 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Das Efx Mic Checka Remix
Jodeci -Freakin You Remix
Brandy - I Wanna Be Down Remix
Meth & Mary - All I Need
LL Cool J - I Shot Ya Remix
Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah...those too
Kool DJ Sheak One 1:13 AM - 24 October, 2013
Best remix of all time....

De La Soul - Buddy
DJ DisGrace 1:40 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Best remix of all time....

De La Soul - Buddy

+1
The original bathroom break 12" nm
d:raf 5:09 AM - 24 October, 2013
I miss the days when remixes were more radical and not just the same beat with different dudes on it...
Papa Midnight 5:23 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
I miss the days when remixes were more radical and not just the same beat with different dudes on it...

Another artist wants to add one verse to a track? Remix.
Papa Midnight 5:26 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Another artist wants to add one verse to a track? Remix.

Actually, on that note, I'm going to go ahead and give credit for this one:

DJ Khaled (Feat. Ludacris, T-Pain, Busta Rhymes, Mavado, Twista, Birdman, Ace Hood, Fat Joe, Jadakiss, Bun B, Game and Waka Flocka Flame) - Welcome To My Hood (Remix)
DJ Nin 3:12 PM - 24 October, 2013
Rich Boy - Throw Some D's Remix
Outkast - Jazzy Belle Remix
SWV - Anything Remix
Dru Hill - In My Bed Remix
Method Man - Method Man (Skunk Remix)

Side note: Damn, I miss the 90's.
DJ Nin 3:15 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
easy

Good call.

Our forum's very own DJ_Soo produced a dope re-rub of that song that I enjoy playing when the crowd is right...

I've dropped that remix a few times as well. The ish bangs.
SpareChange 3:16 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:

Amen

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

def classic, took me years to find that remix on wax although I dig the original just as much

A couple off the top of my head

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Mozo 3:24 PM - 24 October, 2013
Welcome to Atlanta (All Cities REmix) - Snoop, etc.
Rebelguy 3:55 PM - 24 October, 2013
Tori Amos - Professional Widow (Armand Van Helden Remix)
Rebelguy 3:58 PM - 24 October, 2013
Mary J Blige - I Love You (Smif-N-Wessun Rmx)
Papa Midnight 4:34 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Welcome to Atlanta (All Cities REmix) - Snoop, etc.

Quote:
Jermaine Dupri (Feat. Ludacris, Murphy Lee, P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg) - Welcome to Atlanta (Coast 2 Coast Remix)

That's the Coast 2 Coast remix mentioned above.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:57 PM - 24 October, 2013
Mid 90's were one big remix.
auttomattik 5:32 PM - 24 October, 2013
YO, thought Val had this one for sure, can't believe nobody got these!!! THE greatest remixer of all time, Soul Brotha # 1.

House of Pain - "Jump Around" - Pete Rock Remix

and THE greatest remix of all time, don't care what ya say:

Public Enemy - "Shut Em Down"- Pete Rock Remix

Watchwww.youtube.com
gfella 5:51 PM - 24 October, 2013
Eric B & Rakim-Let The Rhythm Hit Em (45 King Remix) 1990
Contains a sample of The Positive Force-We Got The Funk
Still have this on vinyl, still get's the floor packed;)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:53 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
YO, thought Val had this one for sure, can't believe nobody got these!!! THE greatest remixer of all time, Soul Brotha # 1.

House of Pain - "Jump Around" - Pete Rock Remix

and THE greatest remix of all time, don't care what ya say:

Public Enemy - "Shut Em Down"- Pete Rock Remix

Watchwww.youtube.com

I was going to start dropping the Pete Rock remixes...but I didn't think they could handle it.
JDforKing 6:01 PM - 24 October, 2013
The Ignition remix, is probably one of the best remixes ever
Rebelguy 6:18 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
The Ignition remix, is probably one of the best remixes ever

+1
Mr. Goodkat 6:41 PM - 24 October, 2013
any of you guys live in the 21st century?
Jairen 7:08 PM - 24 October, 2013
Some will disagree with me.

I Got 5 on it Bay Ballas Remix. :D
DJ DisGrace 7:12 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:

I think that was kind if the point of this post. Remixes lately are pretty bad.... Extra rappers on the same beat isn't a "remix" in my books
Jairen 7:15 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:

That would be the Metamorphis Mix.
 6 7:33 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I think that was kind if the point of this post. Remixes lately are pretty bad.... Extra rappers on the same beat isn't a "remix" in my books

Bingo

nm
Thundercat 7:41 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Extra rappers on the same beat isn't a "remix" in my books

Truer words have never been spoken about a "remix"
SpareChange 8:07 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Some will disagree with me.

I Got 5 on it Bay Ballas Remix. :D

I wouldn't disagree with that at all..original is dope but the remix had so many legends

same with

Watchwww.youtube.com
Thundercat 8:38 PM - 24 October, 2013
3rd Bass - Portrait Of The Artist As A Hood (Remix)
Watchwww.youtube.com
slimmjimm 9:33 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Das Efx Mic Checka Remix

There was a great remix service remix of this track, I can't track it down.

<obligatory cheese>

Speaking of great remix service tracks, this was one of my absolute favorites:
Watchwww.youtube.com

For real cheese:

N Sync - It's Gonna Be Me (Dj Clue Remix)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:37 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
SWV - Anything Remix
Dru Hill - In My Bed Remix

Good call on those two..

On the Dance/EDM tip - Pitbull probably wouldn't have a career without this "remix"

Push The Feeling - Nightcrawlers - Watchwww.youtube.com
Original version kinda sucks balls - Watchwww.youtube.com
Code:E 9:42 PM - 24 October, 2013
I'm cool with remixes. But Disgrace I'm 100% in agreeance with you. There are a few tracks that the remix is better, But I look down on DJ's who play the remix because they have it and not because it is better. Most people don't give 2 fucks about remixes.

Also I much rather see a DJ do cool mixing techniques with original's and tool's than a DJ use Mashup's and remixes. I kinda feel like they are cheating sometimes. And cheating a couple of time during a 4 hour set is fine. But when ever track you play is a mashup or remix and your just mixing the end of one track into the next it makes me think your skills are not very well developed.

As a rule I play originals unless the remix is just straight up better for the situation. Example: Regular club night Watchwww.youtube.com
Underground Deep house progressive set - opening for some DJ whos going to play all bangers. Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 11:04 PM - 24 October, 2013
Salt-N-Pepa - Push it (Cameron Paul Remix)
Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey (Cameron Paul Remix)
auttomattik 11:04 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
I'm cool with remixes. But Disgrace I'm 100% in agreeance with you. There are a few tracks that the remix is better, But I look down on DJ's who play the remix because they have it and not because it is better. Most people don't give 2 fucks about remixes.

Also I much rather see a DJ do cool mixing techniques with original's and tool's than a DJ use Mashup's and remixes. I kinda feel like they are cheating sometimes. And cheating a couple of time during a 4 hour set is fine. But when ever track you play is a mashup or remix and your just mixing the end of one track into the next it makes me think your skills are not very well developed.

As a rule I play originals unless the remix is just straight up better for the situation. Example: Regular club night Watchwww.youtube.com

Underground Deep house # set - opening for some DJ whos going to play all bangers. Watchwww.youtube.com

I know what you're saying but what about newer shit where the genres are made up almost completely of remixes? Like Trap, or TrapHouse and Twerk? These new things that are poppin right now, and are seriously 50% remixes. Just sayin...
DJ DisGrace 12:18 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Underground Deep house # set - opening for some DJ whos going to play all bangers. Watchwww.youtube.com

I know what you're saying but what about newer shit where the genres are made up almost completely of remixes? Like Trap, or TrapHouse and Twerk? These new things that are poppin right now, and are seriously 50% remixes. Just sayin...

I get that. But the longevity on those remixes is short lived. I just finished going through my early 2K10 tracks and basically deleted every dutch and dubstep remix of most tracks. If I'm in the situation where "I'm in Miami" or "Sexy Chick" needs to get played, chances are the original will do just fine.
Code:E 2:27 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I get that. But the longevity on those remixes is short lived. I just finished going through my early 2K10 tracks and basically deleted every dutch and dubstep remix of most tracks. If I'm in the situation where "I'm in Miami" or "Sexy Chick" needs to get played, chances are the original will do just fine.

I have to completely agree with both of you. HOT NEW shit can be remixed way more. but as stuff ages remixes dont tend to age as well.
DJ DisGrace 2:35 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:

And further....

If I'm in a situation where I need to play "Real Love" or "In My Bed" or "Let's Get Married", I will certainly be playing the remix. These are the types of tracks I was hoping to get listed in this thread.

But I digress, as a few have pointed out, lots of modern music trends are very remix dependent.
Papa Midnight 2:37 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
HOT NEW shit can be remixed way more. but as stuff ages remixes dont tend to age as well.

Speaking specifically of a new artist coming onto a track (and even in the case of the original track), situationals can mean a lot too.

Anytime someone compares something to a new product at the time, the track is pretty much guaranteed to fail to stand the test of time.
stevie o 3:01 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:

We all do. Does it hurt to learn some music history?
 6 3:20 AM - 25 October, 2013
Anything by Safdsre

nm
DJ Matty Stiles 5:32 AM - 25 October, 2013
Debatable, but lean back remix is pretty dope. STOP ITS THE MOTHERFUCKING REMIX!!!
Although I love the beat of the original so I play both back to back.

Also instead of Shook ones pt II I play thug anthem 2000 (all my niggas get down like what)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:04 AM - 25 October, 2013
Drop this: Watchwww.youtube.com
End Thread
<runs and hides>
Dj Nyce 5:09 PM - 25 October, 2013
lana del rey - summer time sadness (cedric gervais remix)

i actually love the original, but the cedric version tho...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:32 PM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
Anything by Safdsre

nm

/thread
eugguy 6:40 PM - 25 October, 2013
ERIC B & RAKIM - PAID IN FULL (COLDCUT REMIX) > PAID IN FULL (ORIGINAL)

KFC FRIED CHICKEN (ORIGINAL) > KFC (BBQ, POPCORN CHICKEN)
Kidd Kumar 7:47 PM - 25 October, 2013
Mariah Carey - Heartbreaker Remix Ft Missy Elliot & Da Brat
Jodeci - Come & Talk to me (Hip Hop Remix)
Mariah Carey - Honey (Badboys Remix)
Code:E 9:42 PM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
lana del rey - summer time sadness (cedric gervais remix)

i actually love the original, but the cedric version tho...

Perfect example where the mainstream radio station even plays the remix. though you only get that once a year or less.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 25 October, 2013
Crookers remix of day and night
slimmjimm 4:57 AM - 26 October, 2013
808?