DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixmeister and Serato Calebo!

DJ C-Zer 12:12 AM - 7 March, 2006
I contacted MixMeister's Team about their Automatic BPM tagger's source code. Since it's a freeware application, I'm hoping they will provide the source code. I'm trying my hardest to get it, so cross your fingers. If this works, I'd like to work with the Serato team to hopefully let me integrate it with their next build or possibly as a plugin. How nice would that be, for all cross platform users (PC and MAC)? Serato Team, let me know if you or somebody has already tried or have this in mind to save me time...
sixxx 12:14 AM - 7 March, 2006
That's dope. :)

ps. I think it's COLABO. :)
sixxx 12:16 AM - 7 March, 2006
I meant... COLLABO.
nik39 12:16 AM - 7 March, 2006
I dont think they will release the source code. Its only free cause it is good advertisement for their paid Mixmeister suite.

But... good luck anyway, you will need it :)
soeasy 1:06 AM - 7 March, 2006
mixmeister not available for mac is such a shame.
is there anything else out there available for mac
that will automatically calculate the bpm's like mixmeister does?
tig ol' bitties 1:16 AM - 7 March, 2006
nah mayne
DJ C-Zer 2:28 AM - 7 March, 2006
I got a call from Mixmeister. Luckily I spoke with the head advertiser of Mixmeister company! They are willing to work with Serato, but will not provide the source code for their software. I told them that if they could work with Serato to integrate their bpm tagger, a lot of users will definately pitch in to make this work. Since we want to save time right guys? I'm doing this for the MAC folks because I feel really sorry for your hand tappings. lol. Wish us luck! The guy from Mixmeister's name is "D. Sampson" and he is willing to work with us, but he did make it clear that their software is in direct competition with Serato. Which in a way it is, but we're more towards the Vinyl world for Digital Media as appose to mixing using just software. I hope this works out for all of us.

--C-Zer
AIM/Y!: DJCZer1
punosion 3:06 AM - 7 March, 2006
I don't think Serato would have problems making their own auto-BPM counter if it was a highly sought-after feature request...
papsworth 3:13 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
I don't think Serato would have problems making their own auto-BPM counter if it was a highly sought-after feature request...

i agree
DeezNotes 4:22 AM - 7 March, 2006
C-Zer, if it doesn't work out do you think you could convince the guys at Mixmeister to add a feature to their current app? Set the range for BPMs for certain songs to prevent doubl-ing or half-ing the numbers of the BPMs (for slow and fast songs)... since you already spoke with a rep from the company. I saw this feature in Fruityloops.
DJ C-Zer 4:26 AM - 7 March, 2006
DeezNotes, i'll see what i can do. I doubt they'll change it since it truely is a free app
DJ C-Zer 4:27 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:

I'm surprise Serato doesn't already have a built in multi BPM tagging feature by now. This is most requested by both platforms. It would be something I could see happing just after you build your overviews. Maybe a bit of a delay because of the time it takes to calculate the bpms, but heck, all in one would be ideal here. Agreed?
DJ MDX 5:14 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I'm surprise Serato doesn't already have a built in multi BPM tagging feature by now. This is most requested by both platforms. It would be something I could see happing just after you build your overviews. Maybe a bit of a delay because of the time it takes to calculate the bpms, but heck, all in one would be ideal here. Agreed?

Have patience, they are frying bigger fishes at the moment. Everything will come in time, don't think for a moment the SSL team is not on top of their game.

The last thing you want is a program with a grocery list of features that only work half ass......like so many other OEM's we all know. The SSL teams standards are very high and if it can not be perfected it will be mashed out until it is or phased out completly, IMO anyway...
punosion 6:23 AM - 7 March, 2006
Mixmeister would probably want a banner ad in Serato...eww...
nik39 8:47 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Have patience, they are frying bigger fishes at the moment. Everything will come in time, don't think for a moment the SSL team is not on top of their game.

The last thing you want is a program with a grocery list of features that only work half ass......like so many other OEM's we all know. The SSL teams standards are very high and if it can not be perfected it will be mashed out until it is or phased out completly, IMO anyway...

Agree with you.
DJ C-Zer 7:36 PM - 7 March, 2006
DJ MXD, perhaps you missed the point. It's a simple addition to a large scale program. I'm not asking for a GUI change. Please think hard before commenting.
DJ C-Zer 7:38 PM - 7 March, 2006
Any input on this Serato Team (Forum moderators)? Let me know if you need help on the dev side. I'll begin reverse engineering :-).

Just curious, is SSL all C++? I would assume so since the .Net framework usually requires Win SP2 and above. Let me know.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:46 PM - 7 March, 2006
We are developing automatic BPM detection.
sixxx 8:52 PM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:

I knew it. :)
nik39 8:53 PM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Just curious, is SSL all C++? I would assume so since the .Net framework usually requires Win SP2 and above. Let me know.

.Net framework? Is there a Mac .Net framework support?
DJ MDX 10:28 PM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
DJ MXD, perhaps you missed the point. It's a simple addition to a large scale program. I'm not asking for a GUI change. Please think hard before commenting.

Perhaps you should not think so hard before commenting, and spell my name right ;-P

I did not miss the point at all, you just did not get mine.

And now Sam has made it for me....get it now.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 10:37 PM - 7 March, 2006
C-Zer, while I certainly support your efforts, I don't think we will be integrating Mixmeister's BPM detection into Scratch LIVE for several reasons:
- they are our competitors
- they give away their BPM analyzer as a promotional tool
- we'd prefer to include code in Scratch LIVE that we have developed ourselves.

However, I don't think you should give up on talking to them, they may have ideas that I have not considered.
DJ C-Zer 11:02 PM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:

Thanks for letting us know Sam. I certainly am Promoting Serato to the fullest :-D
DJ C-Zer 11:14 PM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
I don't think you should give up on talking to them, they may have ideas that I have not considered.

Sam, I won't give up on talking to Mixmeister. I will follow up with them about the nature of my call yesterday, but I did feel a little weird considering he was asking me if I have ever tried their software. I mentioned the only software I have used was their promotional BPM software and have written positive remarks on the ‘BPM Analyzer' on my technical documents. Regardless, I will see what ideas I can pick from his brain.

I do understand that you prefer to include your own code, I was just trying to retrieve the algorithm to not reinvent the wheel, but rather improve it.

Thanks for the follow up.
DJ Dynamight 2:04 AM - 8 March, 2006
ok, now that we've got official word that Serato is working on their own BPM detection, I just have a quick off topic question.

Quote:
mixmeister not available for mac is such a shame.
is there anything else out there available for mac
that will automatically calculate the bpm's like mixmeister does?

would something like Virtual PC be a good solution to use Mixmeister on Mac? I've only heard of virtual pc, don't really know much about it and/or how good it is...
DJ C-Zer 2:08 AM - 8 March, 2006
Good question. I'm not sure, since I don't own a MAC, but who ever does, please test this out for us. Since OS10 uses somewhat of a Unix backend, can WINE be used as well? Sounds like too much drama to go through. I'd wait for Serato to give the final support on this. Additionally, it has been confirmed that a track bpmed with Mixmeister on a PC shows up fine in Serato 1.5b4 according to DJ 3PM. This may be a better solution. Just make sure to have an external drive formated as Fat32 (eww bad for clustering but it works).
s42000 3:30 AM - 8 March, 2006
Quote:

You sneeky chumps .... :)

I hope that automix bathroom break feature is in the works too.
DJ 3pm 3:48 AM - 8 March, 2006
Quote:
would something like Virtual PC be a good solution to use Mixmeister on Mac? I've only heard of virtual pc, don't really know much about it and/or how good it is...

virtual pc sucks, but would be tolerable for this i believe; it's an emulator. it doesn't emulate all things well, like graphic or audio card features, but since mixmeister doesn't really tax those kind of processes it would probably work ok. virtual pc cost like $179 or something and for that much i'll keep on tapping . . . . . . . .
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:22 PM - 9 March, 2006
What you can do is use a PC (maybe you have a friend who has one) and connect to the mac over a network. You can load the MP3s from the Mac into mixmeister on the PC over the network.
djzoo 8:31 PM - 9 March, 2006
a lil something for mac users: downloading a widget for your dashboard called BPM (i think thats the name) really helps. You just tap your mouse for a few seconds to get a pretty close bpm. Nothing like a CDJ but good enough.
DJ Silk 8:44 PM - 9 March, 2006
Quote:
What you can do is use a PC (maybe you have a friend who has one) and connect to the mac over a network. You can load the MP3s from the Mac into mixmeister on the PC over the network.

I use mixmeister like that. It works very well and is easy to do once you over the come the minor hurdles of networking macs and pcs' (over a wireless network).

The software analyzes and adds the tag to the file right off of the Mac. I don't have to transfer any files to my PC.
DJ Dynamight 9:18 PM - 9 March, 2006
Good info. Thanks.
anewsome 9:31 PM - 9 March, 2006
I hope the Serato BPM analyzer works as well as Mixmeister. I've seen half a dozen BPM analyzer and they all pretty much suck. My thought is that it is *very* hard to do BPM detection right,.. and Mixmeister seems to work about 80% of the time at least. Everything else works no where near that well. Let's hope Serato does at least as well.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 10:33 PM - 9 March, 2006
At least!!! ;)
DJ Slade 11:01 PM - 9 March, 2006
OSX does have the BSD layer in it. You can try to use wine with an XServer running (check your OSX install discs). Be advised, it's going to work slower than if it were on a PC. Transgaming Solutions came out with something called winex. Basically it's a patched version of wine that's been steadily improved upon to help run PC Games on Linux. You may be able to use that as well to get better performance. If you all want, I can check this out for ya later on tonight when I get home and can setup my mac mini.
DJ Slade 11:02 PM - 9 March, 2006
By XServer I mean XWindows Server
DJ C-Zer 2:45 AM - 16 March, 2006
Quote:
OSX does have the BSD layer in it. .

Thanks for clarifying this. For those tech headz out there that know how to do this, this should be an interesting project. If I had a MAC, i'd dig deeper into this solution. Then again, it's another variable to deal with.
DJ C-Zer 2:48 AM - 16 March, 2006
Quote:

Of course! Perfect idea Sam. I have never thought of this. DJ Silk confirms that it works, so I suggest for all of you have a PC at home with your Mac, to try this. There isn't any heavy data transfer going on, so Wireless 54g over your router should be just fine.

DJ Silk, can you write up a quicky doc on how to view your PC using a MAC? Screen shots preferably. This would help a lot of users.
DJ Silk 3:50 PM - 16 March, 2006
Here is a thread that has info on networking a PC and Macs:
scratchlive.net

After you have your mac and pc talking to each other (and they do get along with each other :-) ) all you need to do is make sure that the proper folders/drives are mapped on your PC and then you import your music files into mixmiester.
The program will analyze and save the info right off of your mac.

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT TRANSFER THE FILE FROM YOUR MAC, TO YOUR PC, AND THEN BACK TO YOUR MAC...ESPECIALLY OVER A WIRELESS NETWORK.
The reason being is that occassionally files or parts of files are lost over during the transfer (especially when your transferring large amounts of files) which will yield you corrupt files.
I know this from first hand experience.
DJ C-Zer 9:29 PM - 9 April, 2006
Serato team,
When is the forcasted release on the multi built-in BPMer. Do we know?
DJ Tronzo 10:28 PM - 9 April, 2006
Any word on WHEN the bpm detection will be available?

Anyone know if there is a microsoft windows plugin so that I can show the bpms when I view all the file details?
AKIEM 10:38 PM - 9 April, 2006
DJ XTURNAL 11:19 PM - 9 April, 2006
www.wildbits.com

^^Automatic BPM detector for Mac, no tapping...I use it on my new powerbook just for the BPM because it automatically also exports to itunes
Reber 3:29 AM - 6 May, 2006
I can't get it to auto export I have everything check right I believe. I may be missing something though
DJ C-Zer 8:57 PM - 24 June, 2019
Looking back almost 13 years ago I posted this... and the dream came true. Great work Serato!
Culprit 6:08 AM - 25 June, 2019
Auto bpm?
DJ C-Zer 6:09 PM - 27 June, 2019
yezzir... Serato auto bpms maybe 10 secs into a song