DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hey DJ this is A CD of my band, can you play it?

anewsome 10:19 PM - 6 March, 2006
Seriously. Why do people think the DJ is gonna put on some crap that nobody knows by some artist that is unheard of. I never used to get this but about 10 times this year, I've had unknowns come up to the DJ booth and chat me up to try and get some uknown *ish played.

Has this plan ever worked for them? Are there some DJs that are actually doing this? There has to be some DJ that are agreeing agrees to it, otherwise they would have figured out that this is not a workable idea. So who is doing this?

Last night I had TWO in one night. I had a packed dance floor and a full house. I told both of them I didn't have a CD player so I coulnd't play it. They left me the CD anyway and said check it out. Now the venue has two shiny new CDRs of unknown songs from unknown artists. Who says I don't give back to the people.
sixxx 10:24 PM - 6 March, 2006
Honestly, I would listen to it and if I'm really feeling it I MIGHT play it... but not that night. I'm too busy doing other stuff than having to concentrate on a new song. I usually tell them to give it to me and let me listen at home and to expect honest feedback. I'll tell them is crap if I think it is. :P
DJBlisk 10:30 PM - 6 March, 2006
i always say no.
DjWoody 10:47 PM - 6 March, 2006
I've been threatend to get my @$$ Kicked if I didn't play their track. Hahahaha one time some d00d chased me out of a house party with a MACHETE for not wanting to play his request.
sixxx 10:51 PM - 6 March, 2006
Quote:
I've been threatend to get my @$$ Kicked if I didn't play their track. Hahahaha one time some d00d chased me out of a house party with a MACHETE for not wanting to play his request.

hahahaha! That's classic
anewsome 12:06 AM - 7 March, 2006
I had a girl who wanted to fight me over not playing Gold Digger. Thing was, I was gonna play it, just not at 10pm. It was more like a 12.30am song at the time. Seriously, she wanted to fight me over it.
sixxx 12:13 AM - 7 March, 2006
Was she a fat chick? If she was sexy, I would have said... let's do it! Then, get the kiddie pool full of KY Jelly ready. :)
anewsome 12:20 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Was she a fat chick? If she was sexy, I would have said... let's do it! Then, get the kiddie pool full of KY Jelly ready. :)

man that is freaking funny. i could just see sixxx,.. ok you want a piece of me,.. let me drop this 13 minute version of Got To Give It Up in and we're gonna go at it!
sixxx 12:23 AM - 7 March, 2006
hahaha! Or put on the full version of Rappers Delight. :)
DJ 3pm 12:49 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:

i thought that was reserved for when the dj needs to drop a deuce?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:54 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

i thought that was reserved for when the dj needs to drop a deuce?
thats my worst night mare... can u picture that, u be illing in tha bathroom while the bride is yelling for you through the hall "are u done yet?"
DJMark 1:14 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Seriously. Why do people think the DJ is gonna put on some crap that nobody knows by some artist that is unheard of.

Because maybe they remember when club DJ's actually used to take chances and break new music, rather than just play the same crap heard on commercial radio?
Rebelguy 2:27 AM - 7 March, 2006
I always figure it never huts to at least listen to the song in your headphones. If the beat is cool I sometimes give it a shot. I mean the worst it could do is clear a little bit of the crowd and give them a bar break. If anything just cut out of it and come back with a heater. I had Rasby (is that his name) from B2K in my club last week and his manager asked if I could play his new song. I listed to it and said sure why not. Just blew it up that he was in the club and that was that. Didn't hurt the floor.
Rebelguy 2:28 AM - 7 March, 2006
Just for the record I am not saying play everything. You will know if it will work for you when you listed to it in the headphones. Besides, you never know, that artist could be the next Usher or Kanye.
anewsome 2:32 AM - 7 March, 2006
I'll tell you what Rebel,.. if B2K comes into my club, I'd play that shit too. We'll see if you'd play a fresh new track by "Jimi - And The B-Sides" hot off their month solid booking at the Holiday Inn Lounge.
djbigboy 2:40 AM - 7 March, 2006
Every song you are playing represents yourself, so why tarnish that by playing a song from someone you have never heard from. Its not like you owe anyone anything. BTW, the comment about "they probably remember when dj's used to break records in the clubs". With the industry as it is, its the people on the dance floor that are more programmed then the dj's. They won't dance to it if they haven't heard it on the radio or seen the video. If a dj wants to make a mark, a song can be broken in the clubs ie "Right Thurr", Jermaine Dupri "Gotta Getcha", and Chris Brown "Run It". These songs were out forever before radio jumped on it. With radio getting mp3s out of the studio of any artist, radio has the ability to break certain artists, certain songs, but a lot of djs in club can make records happen, you just have to believe in the song, and keep playing it. Its not like you can just play a song no one has heard of and make them like it, its multiple plays, programmed around hot hits...patience...

I get these folks coming up all the time "Aww man, the floor is crackin, why don't you pop on my new joint"....RIIIGHT...some understand that this is what I do, what we do, they know I just can't throw it on...i don't care if its "your birthday", I am not gonna play it...gimme your wax, your cd, and your business card, and thanks
dj huski 3:18 AM - 7 March, 2006
Nicely said dj big boy!!! What up man its me dj huski!!!
djbigboy 3:22 AM - 7 March, 2006
Hit me up on my email, djbigboy@gmail.com, I want to know what happened with the party at Zebra...
DJ XTURNAL 4:13 AM - 7 March, 2006
speaking of breaking records, Grillz was out on Nelly's album Suit over 2 years ago! It just started becoming a hit like 5 months ago...
dj huski 4:32 AM - 7 March, 2006
@ djbigboy hey i sent you an email check it!
hologram 6:16 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously. Why do people think the DJ is gonna put on some crap that nobody knows by some artist that is unheard of.

Because maybe they remember when club DJ's actually used to take chances and break new music, rather than just play the same crap heard on commercial radio?

I use to listen to them. If they weren't crap and if I could use it to transition between two hot tracks, then I probably played it. There was a time when DJs in clubs broke new music and you expected to hear something totaly off the wall at least twice a night. Also it depended on the venue. In SB after an hour or so I could get away with anything after I built up the floor. And just think, you could make a useful friend. Played ugly kid joe when they were still a SB local band and made some pretty good friends who got me a lot of gigs.
roctakon 6:20 AM - 7 March, 2006
My boy got stomped out beat to shit for not playing one of these type of cd's....... NY is crawling with drug dealers turned rappers..............They pay nuff dough for studio time and have no quams about getting in your face if you dont play their shit.......
On the other hand I had a gig where one of the promoters was managing an artist and her record became like a joint u had to play at that party............
It was actually good......
If cats are cool about it I'll play their shit......

One wack song aint gonna get me fired and it makes them feel fly for 5 minn......
hologram 6:22 AM - 7 March, 2006
Don't get me wrong, today its not gonna happen. But back then, it was actually a cool thing to play some local band's track in a club and actually anounce it. People appreciated it even if the track sucked. The band got real feedback (good or mostly nad hehe) and you got a free drink or a hug from the hot female lead hah!

Sorry for the rant, I just miss the days when having the new stuff meant soenmthing to everyone. I remember when I couldn't wait to get my shippment of record pool stuff. Now I look through it and go that's gonna be hot but I'll only getto play it on wednesday night if I'm lucky for at least 6 months.
hologram 6:23 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
One wack song aint gonna get me fired and it makes them feel fly for 5 minn......

That's it! making someone's night feels good.
DJMark 11:26 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
BTW, the comment about "they probably remember when dj's used to break records in the clubs". With the industry as it is, its the people on the dance floor that are more programmed then the dj's. They won't dance to it if they haven't heard it on the radio or seen the video.

You're right, I was pretty much preaching to the choir on that. The completely corrupted music-industry and all the hangers-on (from the "artists" that prostitute themselves to the programmers that accept payola) are the ones that all need (at the very least) a sharp smack to the face for force-feeding the public a steady stream of toxic trash.
DJMark 11:45 AM - 7 March, 2006
Quote:
My boy got stomped out beat to shit for not playing one of these type of cd's....... NY is crawling with drug dealers turned rappers..............They pay nuff dough for studio time and have no quams about getting in your face if you dont play their shit.

So much for any pretense of making it on talent....or, "my 'music' sucks so bad I have to threaten DJ's to get it played". I'd be doing a big LOL if your account wasn't so disturbing in its implications. Sorry about your friend.

Just one more bit of evidence that my instincts about refusing to play genres dominated by thugs are well-founded.
AMF 12:43 PM - 7 March, 2006
I've played this kinda stuff 2 times on the spot. Once it was Trick Trick and he always got some pretty decent music. So no problems there... The other time the party was off the meters and this dude asked me to play his sh*t. At the same time the owner asked me to calm the party down. Then the dude offered me $50. So it was a done deal... and once it was played that club was DEAD. lol

But normally I gotta take it home and listen to it first.
anewsome 3:03 PM - 7 March, 2006
Any of you LA cats remember when Dre dropped by the DJ booth at Argyle on Sunset,.. with a packed dance floor he got in the DJ booth and said "This is some new shit by an artist that is about to rip shit up,... unreleased heat right here ...." then he drops 50 Cent - In Da Club! I think I woulda played that too with Dre handing it to me. Dance floor was on freaking fire when he dropped it.