Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Your first time - Pioneer DJM-900SRT

2:45 AM, 14 Oct 2013
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
DJ P... Da don 10:47 PM - 15 October, 2013
Now the question for you an Pioneer is... can I trade my current 900 + $$ for one of these? :s :(
nik39 10:47 PM - 15 October, 2013
So the 900SRT has only 4 stereo channels from the mixer to the computer whereas the 64 has 5 stereo channels? Is that correct?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:51 AM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
So the 900SRT has only 4 stereo channels from the mixer to the computer whereas the 64 has 5 stereo channels? Is that correct?

5 stereo pairs in and 6 stereo pairs out :) 22 channels total.
DJ -I T A- 1:17 AM - 16 October, 2013
When will it be available for purchase???
asn 9:41 AM - 16 October, 2013
Can faders be map into midi? Like in Rane mixers?
Tim Parker 9:44 AM - 16 October, 2013
So we have to plug in to get the driver update? So we have to get there early, hope the club has wifi and do it on the spot - there is no link to the driver so we can download it while at home and be prepared? Seems totally stupid.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 9:48 AM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
So we have to plug in to get the driver update? So we have to get there early, hope the club has wifi and do it on the spot - there is no link to the driver so we can download it while at home and be prepared? Seems totally stupid.

Hey Tim,

You don't need the internet - the up-to-date driver is packaged with the Serato DJ installer to avoid precisely the situation you mentioned.

Also, a link to the driver is available on the Serato website if you want to prepare early.
Tim Parker 9:56 AM - 16 October, 2013
Awesome, thanks! This didn't seem 100% clear in the post :)
BMK 10:15 AM - 16 October, 2013
As much as I love this idea, and it is great for set up in the Club, at £2000 a mixer, you would have to be a fool not to buy an SL3/SL4 and say a pioneer 750/850 and save yourself £200 - £600 odd (depending on choice of hardware). The price for me and the fact that it doesn't have the duo USB function (like the SL4 which I have) makes this an inferior more expensive product to your highest calibre of SL unit.

Personally if it was priced at around £1500 and with 2 USB inputs, it would of made this option far more attractive to the bedroom/local DJ market and personally I would of sold my pioneer 750 mixer and bought one of these straight off the cuff....

A nice idea, but version 2.0 needs to be cheaper and 2 usb ports for seamless DJ switchover.
Ollie DJ 11:26 AM - 18 October, 2013
Do you have to choose between cds and vinyl or can you have both connected to the srt?

For my set up i like to use 1 vinyl deck and 1 maybe 2 cdjs with timecode. I noticed the 'custom' tab on the pic above so is this possible?
deejdave 4:46 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Do you have to choose between cds and vinyl or can you have both connected to the srt?

For my set up i like to use 1 vinyl deck and 1 maybe 2 cdjs with timecode. I noticed the 'custom' tab on the pic above so is this possible?

You can have any combination of CDJ/TT's when you select CUSTOM (under CDJ & TT option) the Pioneer DJM-900SRT setup utility software pops up automatically.
deejdave 4:47 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
As much as I love this idea, and it is great for set up in the Club, at £2000 a mixer, you would have to be a fool not to buy an SL3/SL4 and say a pioneer 750/850 and save yourself £200 - £600 odd (depending on choice of hardware). The price for me and the fact that it doesn't have the duo USB function (like the SL4 which I have) makes this an inferior more expensive product to your highest calibre of SL unit.

Personally if it was priced at around £1500 and with 2 USB inputs, it would of made this option far more attractive to the bedroom/local DJ market and personally I would of sold my pioneer 750 mixer and bought one of these straight off the cuff....

A nice idea, but version 2.0 needs to be cheaper and 2 usb ports for seamless DJ switchover.

I got my DJM-900SRT for $1899 so how do you figure a SL$ ($900) and a DJM-850 ($1000+) would be IN ANY WAY BETTER?
deejdave 4:48 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Can faders be map into midi? Like in Rane mixers?

Yes
deejdave 4:49 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Now the question for you an Pioneer is... can I trade my current 900 + $$ for one of these? :s :(

No but the SRT can be found for less than the 900 if you know where to look. I got mine for $1899 to my door. NO shipping NO tax!!

Unnnnnnfortuately now I have a 900Nexus sitting around.......... and a DDJ-SX sitting around too. U need another one?
deejdave 4:52 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
When will it be available for purchase???

Its already out............... obviously
DJMIYAGI 11:08 PM - 20 October, 2013
Pioneer needs a 2 channel now as well. Like the T1 but I guess it would be a DJM-S1...
User 4966949 4:09 PM - 4 December, 2013
The SRT seems to be set up as a 2 channel mixer, I know it's a 4 channel but why put usb deck 1 and 2 in channel 2 and 3 of the mixer. I bought the SRT because I want to use 4 usb Decks in the normal 4 channels i.e left to right 1-4 the way I all ways have with all other DJM mixers. This is very frustrating but manageable. What is an absolute disgrace is Serato DJ layout and arrangement of the Channels. Normal vertical view in the software is fine ( if you can call channel 2 on the mixer being deck 1 and so on) But in horizontal view they are not even logically matching the mixer channels. It's like Serato got so close to making a great interface with a great mixer and then got drunk on the last day of development and made devastating changes to the layout and arrangement and killed the mixer. #14dayreturnpolicy.
WarpNote 8:04 AM - 11 December, 2013
@User 4966949
I know its a little cumbersome to get used to. I guess it came over from 4 channel controllers, when not using stacked view, this physical layout matches the screen layout more accurately. If you cant handle the physical layout you'll either have to revert to an SL box or use the Rane 68....

Took me a while to get used to it my self, but now I don't sweat it anymore.. BTW, I use the horisontal view...
dj dylan 1:39 AM - 13 December, 2013
I have a Rane sixty-eight but I have been looking at this mixer heavily as I used to play on the 800 for years and loved it. Question about the Record out; So you can't just record the master out as you can on the sixty-eight? What if you want to run 4 CDj's on all 4 channels and still record? Any other thoughts between the SRT and the Sixty-Four?
deejdave 2:21 AM - 13 December, 2013
I have both. There are advantages to both but the advantages of the 900SRT vastly outweigh the 64 IMO. If you are looking for all around features & performance this is the case. If you are looking for a familiar feel to the 68 then maybe the 64. Go to your local shop and have a looksie for yourself. Both are GREAT mixers though.
Adam Haskin 9:20 AM - 15 March, 2014
I'm using the SRT on Serato DJ 1.6 on a PC and I'm getting the "Error: Cannot connect Midi Device." I've installed the SRT driver from the Pioneer Website, installed the driver that comes inbuilt with Serato Dj when you launch the app and connect the mixer, updated the firmware on the mixer, updated my BIOS, tried all USB ports, done a clean format and reinstalled my OS, tried XP, 7 and 8, used different USB cables, including one that comes with the TTM 61, tried MIDI OX, and an array of driver scanners to see if there's a driver problem, borrowed another Windows laptop and tried the same, but I still get the same error message.... then , I borrowed my friend's Mac running Lion and instaled Serato DJ and plugged in the mixer, and within seconds, it worked. So tell me, is there an issue with the SRT and Windows support that we don't know about?
deejdave 1:50 PM - 15 March, 2014
I wouldn't say an issue with Windows that we don't know about but yes there are quite a few anomalies when using PC's. I happen to LOVE PC's and use them for everything BUT DJing. When it cmes to my craft I need that piece of mind that all will be OK. I am not 100% sure as the vast majority of people running SRT's are obviously using Mac but I have heard there are issues. I was under the impression the latest firmware was fixing the majority of issues though. Maybe I'll try hooking up my SRT to my PC and see what happens. I am not even 100% sure SDJ itself will work with either of my windows PC's as I haven never tried but as you said I can confirm all 3 of my MBP's run SDJ & the SRT 100% fine. Don't lose hope yet though. I am assuming you tried contacting Pioneer as well as opened a hel request here? serato.com
Mayh3mDJ 10:59 AM - 2 November, 2018
When using cdjs to control serato, is hid mode still required or can I connect directly just like when using turntables?
deejdave 1:12 PM - 3 November, 2018
If using CD's then just like you would a TT although I am not sure why one would want to do that.