Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Possible "Mavericks" Mac OS 9 issue specific to video use...

DJMark 6:41 AM - 8 October, 2013
I have not tested "Mavericks" at all, has anyone here tried it? Supposedly it went "golden master" this week and should be out soon. Obviously going "zero day" on a new OS for "professional use" is a stupid idea. The following line in Apple description for the new OS caught my eye:

"OS X Mavericks takes full advantage of every display connected to your Mac, giving you even more flexibility to work the way you want. There’s no longer a primary or secondary display — now each has its own menu bar, and the Dock is available on whichever screen you’re working on."

Obviously, with a menu bar now on each screen, the concern is that "fullscreen" external display mode on apps like Serato Video and Mix Emergency may have some new unexpected behaviors with the new OS.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:30 AM - 9 October, 2013
Good find tracking.
DJMark 7:49 PM - 9 October, 2013
www.apple.com

Bunch of other things besides the new external displays behavior that lead me to think, more than with most new OS releases, that waiting on this one is a wise idea.

"In OS X Mavericks, Timer Coalescing groups low-level operations together, creating tiny periods of idle time that allow your CPU to enter a low-power state more often. With its activity reduced up to 72 percent, the CPU uses less energy, giving your battery a break, too. This happens so fast you won’t notice a thing. And your Mac still gets just as much done just as quickly."

That sounds awesome for general-purpose use, but that kind of aggressive power-management might have unexpected results with real-time-intensive applications that were developed under previous OS versions.

The new on-the-fly memory compression also seems a bit high-risk for our kind of use.

Maybe Apple has done a brilliant job of making all the new changes work great with existing applications, but I wouldn't advise going on blind faith on day one of Mavericks' release....
nik39 12:29 PM - 15 October, 2013
Quote:
"In OS X Mavericks, Timer Coalescing groups low-level operations together, creating tiny periods of idle time that allow your CPU to enter a low-power state more often. With its activity reduced up to 72 percent, the CPU uses less energy, giving your battery a break, too. This happens so fast you won’t notice a thing. And your Mac still gets just as much done just as quickly."

That sounds awesome for general-purpose use, but that kind of aggressive power-management might have unexpected results with real-time-intensive applications that were developed under previous OS versions.

The new on-the-fly memory compression also seems a bit high-risk for our kind of use.

Same concers over here.

AFAIR I read that apps can forbid that their timing will be changed. But I assume they have to explicitly tell the OS.
Joshua Carl 5:07 PM - 18 October, 2013
Ive passed this on to Mix Emergency and refered them to this thread. I know he has been testing hardcore for Mavericks. So im sure if its an issue he can work around, he is the man that can get it done.
I cant comment on how it might effect other video software
Chilote 4:44 AM - 24 October, 2013
Fuck menu bar :)
PopRoXxX 6:42 AM - 24 October, 2013
Been testing for almost 4 hours now. SSL 2.5 / ME 2.2 / TTM 57SL / 2009 MacBook Pro 15". No crashes or weirdness so far. Running HDMI for the video output. Played with 57/SL effects and ME transitions/effects. Also surfed the internet with multiple tabs open. At one point I had Finder open, Quartz Composer open, Contacts open, Calendar open and Safari open all while SSL/ME was running and connected to the internet. Haven't tried Lemur or Serato Remote on my iPad yet.

You can turn off the menu bar on multiple displays in the system preferences under Mission Control. You can also set specific apps (of your choice) to NOT use the new "App Nap" feature by going into your Applications folder, right click/get info and check "Prevent App Nap". Just in case you get uncomfortable with the idea.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:22 AM - 24 October, 2013
Thanks DJ PopRoXXX. That's good info, cheers :)

Aaron
Blackie Lox 11:06 AM - 24 October, 2013
@DJ PopRoXXX
Have you noticed any increase in performance with Mavericks?
PopRoXxX 4:00 PM - 24 October, 2013
I can't say for sure right now Blackie Lox, considering EVERYTHING I was doing last night at once. But I am going to try this machine tonight at one of my gigs (13" MBP on standby, just in case) and I will have a better grasp of how it rocks with just my live apps running and nothing else
Dj Nyce 4:01 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Been testing for almost 4 hours now. SSL 2.5 / ME 2.2 / TTM 57SL / 2009 MacBook Pro 15". No crashes or weirdness so far. Running HDMI for the video output. Played with 57/SL effects and ME transitions/effects. Also surfed the internet with multiple tabs open. At one point I had Finder open, Quartz Composer open, Contacts open, Calendar open and Safari open all while SSL/ME was running and connected to the internet. Haven't tried Lemur or Serato Remote on my iPad yet.

You can turn off the menu bar on multiple displays in the system preferences under Mission Control. You can also set specific apps (of your choice) to NOT use the new "App Nap" feature by going into your Applications folder, right click/get info and check "Prevent App Nap". Just in case you get uncomfortable with the idea.

which one...'Show Dashboard as a space' or 'Displays have separate spaces'?
PopRoXxX 4:15 PM - 24 October, 2013
Uncheck "Displays have separate spaces" to make secondary display menu bars go away Nyce (requires log out and log back in). But I also unchecked "show dashboard as space" cause I don't use dashboard and just wanted it gone
PopRoXxX 4:16 PM - 24 October, 2013
What kind of MBP are you running Nyce? Are you getting any choppy sound or waves from audio when running SSL with ME?
Dj Nyce 4:59 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
What kind of MBP are you running Nyce? Are you getting any choppy sound or waves from audio when running SSL with ME?

late 2011 17" macbook pro 2.4ghz intel core i7, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, 1tb hdd

no choppy waveforms or audio in ssl or sdj when running with SV or ME. i gave it a torture test running sdj+me>resolume>mad mapper. works just as good as before.

those new macbook pros are so wack. can't upgrade anything anymore.
popnwave 5:14 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

late 2011 17" macbook pro 2.4ghz intel core i7, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, 1tb hdd

no choppy waveforms or audio in ssl or sdj when running with SV or ME. i gave it a torture test running sdj+me>resolume>mad mapper. works just as good as before.

those new macbook pros are so wack. can't upgrade anything anymore.

Now the only option is the 15" flagship w/ the 2GB of discreet memory anyway. I keep hoping something between that 1TB Lacie thunderbolt and those TANKS for desktop editing comes out. If I have to go external I'd really like to not have to use USB.
PopRoXxX 6:02 PM - 24 October, 2013
Use FireWire or better yet Thunderbolt drives
PopRoXxX 6:04 PM - 24 October, 2013
Thanks Nyce. Hopefully tonight I'll have the same luck on my mid 2009 15" unibody 2.66, 8GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, 3TB External HDD (FireWire 800)
phil F 12:59 AM - 25 October, 2013
Have you guys changed any of your settings apart from the displays menu bar off, using Sdj with ME blew my cpu to 100% and screwed up playback
phil F 4:32 AM - 25 October, 2013
I think I've cracked it. at least enough to make it workable for now.

After studying the activity monitor, i noticed a kernel task that was going nuts, so googled it and came across this link

www.rdoxenham.com

it says that instead of individual tasks, they are all grouped together under one umbrella task. and for the sake of temp control, run small background bits keeping it away from main apps. and explains how to delete the profile for the MBP to stop this from happening.

after doing this. the kernel task has been tiny, I've run Me and serato for an hour twice, with a reboot in-between and its ran flawlessly.

the Cpu gauge in serato Dj still kicks off a bit. but activity monitor is running low. :D i think maybe Sdj is just reading one core???

Maybe not an ideal fix. but short term whilst another route is found :)

Phil
radikarl 7:52 AM - 25 October, 2013
i had to apply the kernel task fix on mac os 10.7 to a revision a macbook air a while ago, which all of a sudden started to run incredibly slow.

no issues ever since.
PopRoXxX 5:09 PM - 25 October, 2013
Full gig last night from 10pm-2am. No issues running everything I said above. No audio glitches or video glitches: Mid-2009 15" MBP 2.66 / 8GB RAM / 320GB HDD / 3TB External HDD (FireWire 800) / SSL 2.5 / ME 2.2 / TTM 57SL / Technics 1200 MK5/ Serato Remote and Lemur running on iPad 4 and iPhone 4S connected USB and wirelessly

Wonder if I should try this kernel issue just to see if it boosts some more speed or not
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:02 AM - 26 October, 2013
Awesome. Keep the reports coming man.

@radikarl - Good info, thanks :)

Aaron
phil F 12:01 PM - 26 October, 2013
manage to get through last night with no issues :)
djkurve 6:21 PM - 26 October, 2013
Did a VJ gig last night from 9pm-1am. Zero issues. Was using Technics 1200 MKII, Rane Sixty Two, 4TB external firewire HD, SSL 2.5, Mini display port to HDMI. All this with a 13" Mid 2009 MBP! instagram.com
PopRoXxX 8:06 PM - 26 October, 2013
Did you just go as is? Plug and play style. Or did you mess with the kernel issue or any other settings?
djkurve 9:07 PM - 26 October, 2013
Quote:
Did you just go as is? Plug and play style. Or did you mess with the kernel issue or any other settings?

As is. I didn't know about the kernel thing till today.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 5:55 AM - 27 October, 2013
Quote:
Did a VJ gig last night from 9pm-1am. Zero issues. Was using Technics 1200 MKII, Rane Sixty Two, 4TB external firewire HD, SSL 2.5, Mini display port to HDMI. All this with a 13" Mid 2009 MBP! instagram.com

Great to know man, cheers :)

Wow, War Pigs... Faith no More or the original? And how and when do you drop that into a set? :P
SeriousCyrus 5:39 PM - 23 November, 2013
I'd be real careful about using that kernel fix, it's basically removing the safeguards that protect the components from overheating, don't expect your warranty to hold if you use it and the machine later breaks down.
kaydeelethal 6:38 AM - 22 January, 2014
Kinda thought was the only one with this problem but from the thread, won't be asking no more questions. However, is the mavs OSX stable really?? Still have this matrix- kinda frame rate on videos, all my settings (On scratch live have been standard) Do I have to increase the display option? Someone...

Cheers
DJMark 7:33 PM - 22 January, 2014
I've been using SL 2.5 + ME 2.4.0pb on a new MBP that shipped with Mavericks, and it seems mostly fine.

Crashes on quit are an issue, but no apparent stability issues in actual use.
kaydeelethal 7:40 PM - 22 January, 2014
Hey Mark, do u deejay or Veejay? Coz on videos, its really bad. One can almost buy another laptop
DJMark 7:47 PM - 22 January, 2014
I do video ("SL 2.5 + ME 2.4.0pb"), and my frame rates are solid.

What resolution are you running on the external display(s)?

Possibly useful hint: on Mavericks, you have to have "option" pressed when you click on the "scaled" button in System Preferences/Displays in order to see all possible resolutions.
kaydeelethal 7:51 PM - 22 January, 2014
Good insight, imma try it out and let u know, coz am on serato video and not M. E
DJ CYPHER1021 9:00 AM - 30 March, 2014
Running MB Pro spring 2010 8 gigs of Ram. Only issue i had was didn't know how to turn off the menu bar, other than that it ran flawlessly for my entire 4.5 hr set
dj jamalot 6:08 PM - 30 March, 2014
No issues running mavericks as stated above the menu can be disabled so it's a non issue.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:33 AM - 10 April, 2014
Well tonight I finally upgraded to Mavricks. Only one problem I have found, my TripleHead2Go no longer works with it (Mavricks). I only get a display out on 1 projector, doesn't send anything to the other 2.
I've read around, well googled and I guess Mavricks broke something with the Matrox driver or something like that.
My DualHead2Go works but even that is half assed as well. With the most recent driver it only detects 1 projector but puts out the same picture over both projectors (mirrored is what I should say). To fix this I rolled back to an older version of Powerdesk and things work now but I loose the ability to have different resolutions and refresh rates between projectors.

Pretty bummed about the TH2G as that's what I used most of the time.

I guess I should ask I anyone else is or are having the same issues??
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:22 PM - 14 April, 2014
Well here's what is happening to me, 9to5mac.com
I also have a Cinq screen but I haven't tested that out, I'll probably do that tonight.

I'm really considering going back to ML if a fix for this doesn't happen soon and by soon I mean the end of the week, lol!!

So again, has anyone else who uses a TH2G or a Cinq screen ran into these problems??
DJ DisGrace 12:18 AM - 21 October, 2014
Any issues with Mavericks these days?
DJMark 12:59 AM - 21 October, 2014
Just this ongoing one:

serato.com
DJ DisGrace 8:41 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Just this ongoing one:

serato.com

Thanks...

Should I stick with ML maybe? I only ever use a 57 w/ SL 2.5 and ME, for the most part. I guess I'll play around this week and see how things go
DJ DisGrace 8:41 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Just this ongoing one:

serato.com

Thanks...

Should I stick with ML maybe? I only ever use a 57 w/ SL 2.5 and ME, for the most part. I guess I'll play around this week and see how things go
DJMark 8:59 AM - 21 October, 2014
I don't know if the 57 is affected by that bug or not. I don't see the issue with an SL-3, it may be some 62-specific issue. I can tell you that updating to Yosemite does *not* fix the problem when using a 62.
PopRoXxX 4:39 PM - 21 October, 2014
I've played on my 57 with Mavericks and Yosemite on SSL 2.5 with no problems what-so-ever. It's only SDJ that gets all infected new OS stuff