Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

4 virtual decks with 2 physical

DJ Gatek 9:24 AM - 5 October, 2013
Hi all!
Sorry if this was answered before but I did some search and couldn't find anything.
Is there a way to play on 4 virtual decks using 2 vinyl turntables? What mixer or SLbox can handle it?

Thanks
DJ Gatek 9:29 AM - 5 October, 2013
The goal is I really wanna use 4 decks but I don't wanna drop my 1210s for some controller. Also you very rarely get 4 turntables in a club.
Davideon 2:45 PM - 5 October, 2013
Ive never used timecode and know little about the circuitry of sl boxes, but am sure you can't: the tone signal sent from a tt is used to control the speed and position of the playing track. So if virtual deck 1 is getting signal from tt 1, then you start using tt1 to control virtual deck 2: virtual deck 1will no longer be receiving any info.

And even if it continued at the same speed as when it stopped receiving signal, the position would be wrong when you went back to using tt1 for virtual deck 1 - and it would cause a huge 'skip'
Mark Quest 2:46 PM - 5 October, 2013
using something like the Pioneer DDJ-SP1 would help with this.
Davideon 2:46 PM - 5 October, 2013
But I might be wrong
DJ Gatek 5:16 PM - 5 October, 2013
Well, I thought maybe its possible quite the same way is possible to play on SL with one turntable. You start a track on deck 1, then put it in Int mode and you can use the same turntable to operate deck 2. You switch them and so on.. I think its possible if the mixer supports it.
Dj Nyce 9:47 PM - 5 October, 2013
Mark at djworx.com just got a 64. he said that you can use all 4 virtual decks. but if you only have 2 turntables plugged in, you can only control the decks that have tt's/cdj's on their inputs. so say for example your tt's are plugged in to channels 1 and 2 on the 64. you can only control decks 1 and 2.

you can play decks 3 and 4 in internal mode and control the slip/sync/looping/cues via the 64's buttons.

so you can only get platter control of all 4 decks if you use a controller. sucks.

what i would like to see with the 64 is the ability to use 2 inputs and switch between controlling decks 1/3 and 2/4. the same way the vci and ddj does it. i would trade my 62 for a 64 in heartbeat if that was possible.
DJ Gatek 10:47 PM - 5 October, 2013
Yeah I was hoping it would be possible with 64..
DjThots 5:27 AM - 12 October, 2013
(in theory) a workaround for this would be too have a basic channel switch (cheap video switcher wuld work ) and just set ur playin deck to internal mode then hit the channel switch wich wuld send that signal to ur other deck.. and just keep repeatin this process back and forth
DjThots 5:28 AM - 12 October, 2013
of coarse his wuld be on an sl4
DJxChris 2:15 PM - 16 October, 2013
I have a similar work around to the one DjThots stated but instead of a switcher I used 4 y cables to split the signal from the turntables to the other channels. I just have to make sure I switch the decks I don't want to control to internal so I don't accidentally manipulate them.
Futuretek 6:36 PM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
Well, I thought maybe its possible quite the same way is possible to play on SL with one turntable. You start a track on deck 1, then put it in Int mode and you can use the same turntable to operate deck 2. You switch them and so on.. I think its possible if the mixer supports it.

This is what I was expecting out of the 64 especially now with serato dj and everything. They really dropped the ball on this one in my opinion. Probably don't want us to have all of that right now because that would be the last mixer anyone would buy for the foreseeable future.