Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Change Serato 1.5 Layout Back to 1.3 (Waveform, Mixed Cue/Loops, Text Size)

lwsn 7:46 AM - 4 October, 2013
Hi guys,

The new layout on 1.5 is pretty shocking. People have already raised the issue of vertical waveform users not getting the overview placed vertically, but I think in general the 1.5 layout across the whole top is much worse use of screen real estate compared to 1.3. I'd suggest changing it back or changing so that:

- the overview waveform is fatter and runs alongside the waveform, vertically or horizontally (as in 1.3, this allows quick comparison of both waveforms and easier track scrubbing, as play point and cue points don't occlude each other).

- track and artist text size and virtual deck size is as big as it was in 1.3 to allow for easier checking.

- return the option to have both cues and loops visible, or just cues or just loops. why remove this?

Another way you could think about doing this is making the size and placement of these things on the interface scalable or editable by the user, which would be super helpful and allow people to customise.

I just don't get why, with the move of everyone over to DJ, you'd compromise on these essential design decisions, which are key when using the software out.

Cheers!
viper9711 12:21 PM - 4 October, 2013
+1
How to switch between Cue- and Loop Container without a mouse?? Not very comfortable :(
Formica 10:35 PM - 4 October, 2013
Maybe just give us the option of picking the 1.3 layout or the 1.5 layout. I too am consternated by the change to the loop/cue interface, moving the full track waveforms, etc. It also feels like horizontal mode (my preferred layout) has some wasted screen real estate now, which I find ironic given the reason we don't have two decimal places of BPM is supposedly that it took up too much room.
Ricky 305 12:34 AM - 5 October, 2013
+1
please return the 1.3 layout. the new layout is very difficult to work with. having to hit a tab to see the loops. leave the option for both.

Also the Full track waveforms in horizontal mode need to come back to the middle. My eyes keep wondering off.

Switching back to 1.3 for now.
Sodom 4:06 PM - 5 October, 2013
The full track waveform should be much bigger than it is! so you can see better when there is a break without putting your nose close to the screen! and when using the roll function the mark should go on that you can see where you come back to the track when disable roll!!
Dr0p 7:21 PM - 5 October, 2013
haha occlude
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:58 AM - 6 October, 2013
+1
wadup 5:02 PM - 6 October, 2013
+1
JaviRiskOne 7:04 AM - 7 October, 2013
+1
vladimir prieto 7:43 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
+1
How to switch between Cue- and Loop Container without a mouse?? Not very comfortable :(

about this, i made and specifc feature request.

serato.com
Dj @ House 5:11 AM - 8 October, 2013
+ 1
Oliver Knist 5:27 PM - 8 October, 2013
100% agree... i hate the new Display
_jeri_ 9:40 PM - 9 October, 2013
- return the option to have both cues and loops visible, or just cues or just loops. why remove this?

+1 !!!!!
Skinny Cee 1:29 PM - 10 October, 2013
I agree with this post. Need the vertical track display back. Does not make sense the way this was done. At least give an option for diffirent display options. On another note, please make the pitch go to +10 / - 10.
john parker 5:03 PM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
I agree with this post. Need the vertical track display back. Does not make sense the way this was done. At least give an option for diffirent display options. On another note, please make the pitch go to +10 / - 10.

If you're using a ddj sx u can change the pitch to +16/-16 using the shift key and key lock button :)
Shalobee 4:31 PM - 16 October, 2013
+1
I totally agree. For center view waveforms the overview should be on the sides of the wave form not on top of the deck. Also this would help with SL converts. The loops portion should be toggleable too so you can switch between the new and old view. People who use the loops cues and hot cues a lot would probably like to see more and people who don't should have the choice for "simple cue" display in the settings. Wave form issue though seems to be the hardest thing for me to get used to though.
nik39 10:29 PM - 16 October, 2013
+1
DjNate3 2:30 AM - 17 October, 2013
I completely agree to going back to the 1.3 layout. Trying to go back and forth between Cues and Loops is a bother
tobias.jungnickel 9:04 AM - 17 October, 2013
+1
Tekon 9:14 AM - 18 October, 2013
+1 only good thing to come with 1.5.1 was tracks go blue when played. The layout is rubbish. Back to previous. Sort out looping on the ddj-sx!
Dj L-Biz 11:48 AM - 18 October, 2013
+1 cue point and loop view options should be bought back even if it has to be as a tick box option on the setup screen scrolling down cues is not conducive to a good work flow
vladimir prieto 11:52 AM - 18 October, 2013
the most part of the thread is about getting access to cue point and loops tabs.

for that i made an specific suggestion: Cue Points and Loops Tabs switching, serato.com
john parker 11:55 AM - 18 October, 2013
Was dubious of upgrading due to probs I had with the last one having an Amd chipset, glad I waited now :)
Dj L-Biz 12:07 PM - 18 October, 2013
Vladimir - i think i get what you are after - not sure if we work differently but i myself would be much happier to see all the cue points at the same time.

Also in truth i would see the numbers again on my cues (although that may be me just being stubborn)
DJSvazquez_radio4by4 4:58 PM - 18 October, 2013
AGREEED!!!!!!!
the ill nino 11:04 PM - 18 October, 2013
+1
MutterOberin 7:50 AM - 21 October, 2013
+1

Agreed! The Container for Cues and Loops is the worst!
djnightfire 4:05 PM - 21 October, 2013
+1 totaly Agree.

The new look of the smaller virtual decks and the overview waveform are very confused.

Please, please Serato change this aggain to the old design of DJ 1.3.0

Please

Please.

1.5 design is horrible.
serkan 9:27 PM - 21 October, 2013
+1
oliver7625 3:41 AM - 22 October, 2013
I think there should be a dashboard settings tab in the main settings page were people can customise how they want there screen to look. This would solve lots of these forum suggestions in one go. These are all featurs that have been on past programs or version.
Mark Quest 10:07 AM - 22 October, 2013
it's shithouse now, especially for those of us who have displays larger than 15". i have a 21.5" iMac & the amount of spare room on the GUI is shocking. At least give us the option of what the GUI displays or not. just 'cos people are rocking 11" & 13" laptops doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer. Should be the other way around. People with smaller laptops should have less on their screen. People with larger displays get more!
rothskeezy 5:34 AM - 6 November, 2013
whats sad is that the feature suggestion for serato dj is full of issues that the developers should have thought about a long time ago. i am seriously hoping that 1.6 is a completely fixed version that takes into account all the important issues we all are having with this program...or traktor may be the best alternative
SIN13 9:49 PM - 15 November, 2013
+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:58 PM - 17 November, 2013
Hey guys,

We understand your frustrations and are hoping that 1.6 will solve a number of these layout related issues, along with a couple new things to keep you happy :)
viper9711 10:55 PM - 17 November, 2013
maybe ITunes Star Rating...:) ?
john parker 8:49 AM - 18 November, 2013
Must admit the hotcue loop function was a bit of a pain to begin with but I am getting used to it now, tend just to keep it on loops and hotcue from the pads :)
Oliver Knist 11:27 PM - 18 November, 2013
Layout from 1.3 was Perfect.....please pleas bring it back
vladimir prieto 1:38 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Hey guys,

We understand your frustrations and are hoping that 1.6 will solve a number of these layout related issues, along with a couple new things to keep you happy :)

when we can expect 1.6?
MutterOberin 1:41 AM - 19 November, 2013
1.6 will released in two "stages"

In December there will be 1.6 Public Beta
In February there will be 1.6 Final
Dj L-Biz 1:39 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Hey guys,

look forward to it - i guess one other way to resolve the cue point viewing issue would be if you are using a controller which has rgb pads for the colors of your cues to replicate on your pads? it would be amazing if that would be the case...
save a lot of hassle imho.

anyway roll on 1.6
Marv Incredible 2:08 AM - 20 November, 2013
+1
john parker 8:17 AM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

look forward to it - i guess one other way to resolve the cue point viewing issue would be if you are using a controller which has rgb pads for the colors of your cues to replicate on your pads? it would be amazing if that would be the case...
save a lot of hassle imho.

anyway roll on 1.6

I don't know how others use hot cues but heres how I do it. Regardless of where the point is in the track the 1st cue I need goes on the 1st pad the 2nd on the 2nd etc, etc I find this reduces the need for a visual aid hope this helps :)
Papa Midnight 4:56 PM - 28 November, 2013
+1 to OP request.
WarpNote 7:55 PM - 28 November, 2013
+1
Franrasore 3:24 AM - 8 December, 2013
PLEASE the Waveforms should be like the previous versions! Or give options to the user, thats really important. Its really important as well that a DJ has his screen just like he needs and wants it. Customization is a real valuable asset.
joseNG 4:13 PM - 14 December, 2013
+1
Dj David Aaron 7:31 AM - 11 January, 2014
Yep, the track overview being up top sucks.. Fix it please.. Crap crap crap.. Not too pumped on the Serato DJ compared to Scratch live at the moment..

If the DJM900srt was compatible with Scratch live I'd bail out of Serato DJ in a split second.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:49 AM - 11 January, 2014
Quote:
Yep, the track overview being up top sucks.. Fix it please.. Crap crap crap.. Not too pumped on the Serato DJ compared to Scratch live at the moment..

If the DJM900srt was compatible with Scratch live I'd bail out of Serato DJ in a split second.

They have changed it with 1.6.0BETA
Dj @ House 9:07 AM - 11 January, 2014
+1
DJSNOOPP 3:07 PM - 24 March, 2014
i didnt see good soo now its a problem checking time and other deck info. Remove text like bpm, and we will have one line more to make texts larger. I dont wear leye lenses on the gig, please do something, its really stupid feeling when you didnt see correctly everything
Mr Wilks 2:59 AM - 25 March, 2014
+1 million. This was the best view for me and would go back tomorrow if I didn't lose the goodies.

I miss the 50/50 cue/loop split and font. It was the best design of any version. Why take away a skin when it could have just been in the drop-down box with the others?

It seems like it changed to be more Scratch Live friendly with the switch to DVS in SDJ.
DJ Quartz 6:36 PM - 26 March, 2014
+1,000,000
Mr Wilks 10:49 PM - 26 March, 2014
Just looking at this and thinking how much better it was...

derringersmusic.com.au

Please bring it back as a "Classic" option in the layout drop-down box.
Nonnus 5:20 PM - 27 March, 2014
all this ppl asking for "options" really don't know serato very well...
they will decide whatever is "best" and stick to it, no matter what the users say or complain about, you can ask all you want but they won't care at all...

as far as i am concerned i cannot stand serato dj and will use itch for as long as i can

serato itch 2 is/was such an elegant piece of software with such a well though layout that makes serato dj look like a piece of garbage in comparison
DJ Quartz 5:23 PM - 27 March, 2014
I disagree, if the users raise concerns they will adjust.

Serato DJ is the new platform and the others are basically retired so they will want to make the userbase happy.

In the end it will replace everything and not listening to your users is counter-productive.

Not everything will change but if there is crucial mishaps, they will have to listen.
Nonnus 5:29 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
I disagree, if the users raise concerns they will adjust.

not my experience as a serato itch user since 2010...
Nonnus 5:34 PM - 27 March, 2014
@DJ Quartz: i realize you are an even "older" serato user than me, so please don't take it like i am dismissing your opinion, just stating my own ;)
DJ Quartz 5:39 PM - 27 March, 2014
Not a problem, I'm not taking it personally. I'm speaking from a Non-Serato user to when I became one.

There are some things that they probably haven't changed, but from the outside looking in throughout the history of the product. There is tons people asked for that they did incorporate.

Some issues, they probably can't budge on due to standardization because you don't want to change too much too drastically since everyone gets 'used' to a certain method.

Finding a common ground is also difficult in a product of this nature, if everyone is 100% by the time you're done....

MIRACLE
Mr Wilks 2:03 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
all this ppl asking for "options" really don't know serato very well...

Well as I asked for an 'option' in a feature suggestion forum then that could quite possibly be moi ;)

I'm 100% with Quartz on this. I've been a Serato guy for many years and know exactly what they are like (which is much less open than they once was).

I can't say I agree on SDJ being garbage but we all have our own opinions on Serato's software and direction. It's slowly gaining momentum and DJ blog headlines while it leaves the rivals behind pretty and will only go from strength to strength. The updates and features are coming faster now and this is good for us end-users.

We've recently just had to endure the sticky SSL/SDJ merge and feel the layout change was made to accommodate the new SSL users and also welcome the 'die-hard no sync' guys with a familiar look and feel. For me it was a huge shame we lost that view but it's not the end of the world.

Oh well.
Nonnus 2:30 AM - 28 March, 2014
@mr wilks: so, what you're saying is that you find sdj better than itch, is that it?
(including when using your twitch controller)

regarding "options": my comment was not directed to anyone in specific but i was around these forums long enough during the itch era (1.7 -> 2.1) and have never seen any user suggestions or requests for some option to be implemented by serato, ever...
Mr Wilks 3:27 AM - 28 March, 2014
I'm not saying SDJ is better, only that it's not garbage. It still needs work but it's still in its infancy. I will have to go back to Itch during the summer as I can't see the dark screen of SDJ when DJing outdoors but overall the program has significant performance benefits over Itch that I find useful and suitable for me in my DJing style. If there are no benefits to you over SDJ then sticking with Itch is just fine.

What works for one person may not for another, just like some people are still on Scratch Live.

Off the top of my head, here are few things that have been asked for by users that have been implemented:

Quantize
CDJ 850 support
Better FX
Better keylock

Many of the features currently in any of Serato's softwares have been user suggested at some point.

Just for the record I hate the SDJ mapping for my Twitch as it was never designed for it. However... the DDJ-SX rocks out with SDJ as these are very different controllers made for different software and don't think the SDJ map translates well from Itch based controllers.

However, I haven't powered up Itch since last summer so you could say I have a preference. Better keylock and better FX are just two reasons I'd never go back.

As the thread is about changing the layout, I say keep it and add another one. Win/Win.
DJ Quartz 3:33 AM - 28 March, 2014
Day Mode definitely has to come back.

I think a classic type view would be a good fit.
Nonnus 11:03 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Off the top of my head, here are few things that have been asked for by users that have been implemented:

Quantize
CDJ 850 support
Better FX
Better keylock

i may be wrong (as i always can!) but aren't all of those sdj features that were implemented by serato for their own motivations and not user requests? (not considering the many many requests to merge ssl and itch done during the years, this one they finally followed, although knowing the company i believe it was more due to internal decision for their own reasons than user suggestion)
i was talking specifically about the many many user requests asked for itch that were never cared for

in any case, i understand the need for the thread to remain on topic, so i ll just complain about:
- lost of itch elegancy and clean gui in its design (i mean, just look at how fx parameters display was done and how it is now in sdj)
- the lost of day mode, itch stacked view where u had simpler players on top of each other, until today this is the best layout for a 13 laptop imo

i understand sdj is now much more ssl-like regarding design / layout which probably pleases more ppl , but it just looks too busy for someone used to itch for many years

ps: as you can see i really liked itch layout, i think whoever designed its user interface should have received a lifetime award for the best dj software gui ever (hell, it has damaged me to the point where i can't sand any other software, i can use it of course but i don't like it at all, damn you unnamed designer @ serato!)
DJ Quartz 2:59 PM - 28 March, 2014
I have to admit the Itch 2.2.2 UI was very dope.

SDJ is still a baby, even SSL wasn't perfect in the beginning.
Nonnus 3:01 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
I have to admit the Itch 2.2.2 UI was very dope.

SDJ is still a baby, even SSL wasn't perfect in the beginning.

cannot agree more with you about this ;)

i guess i resented the step back from itch to sdj a little too much :D
(to the point where i still cannot imagine myself using sdj on any sort of serious situation)
Nonnus 1:27 PM - 16 April, 2014
hey, just chiming in after trying out serato dj 1.6.1

stacked players view is back!
thats just great and something i dearly missed from itch,
as for me is the most elegant, optimised layout on any digital dj software,
mostly noticed on smaller monitors like 11 and 13
(that also tend to be the best ones to travel with :)

one less complain on my part about serato dj,
my main beef is now the fx mapping on novation twitch,
but to be honest this is more an issue of the hardware implementation

i still prefer the simpler and slimmer itch gui for fx display, with big square boxes and big text labels for parameters but i can live with serato dj one with no big problems,
just the mapping makes it less obvious and there are still some issues at least with my current controller
djnightfire 7:03 PM - 22 April, 2014
I don't understand, why the fx mapping for the vfx-1 is not fully developed.

In "itch" or "sl" when the beats parameter knob is turnd to position x1 or x2 the beat was shifted to 16 or 32 beats.

Now in "dj" if you turned the knob to this positions nothing happens.

I wonder, why this is so?

For me it is as if the mapping team does not appreciate a conscientious mapping.

Serato would have so many choices when they would use their potential.

If they would make it.

You could use the surface of the display much better if the Browser, on the entire display surface, would only show when you really need him.

Otherwise

Show or hide the song. browser per touch of a button. The virtual platters could zoom in also the waveform display.
djnightfire 7:10 PM - 22 April, 2014
also in Version 1.3 of "dj" the virtual platters had a good size.

Serato advertises even with the new large virtual platters.

But yet, the platters looks really small. on a 13 inch mac book.
DJ Quartz 7:17 PM - 22 April, 2014
They shrunk the virtual deck views in the newer version. Everyone should keep expressing this.

I also preferred the larger virtual deck views. I was looking forward to this.
Mr Wilks 8:39 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
They shrunk the virtual deck views in the newer version. Everyone should keep expressing this.

I also preferred the larger virtual deck views. I was looking forward to this.

Totally agree.

The old 1.3 skin should be put back as an option. It was a nice size and had all the info we needed in a large, easy to view display.

Bring it back Serato... purleeeease.
DJOTTO67 2:30 AM - 23 April, 2014
I too agree and specifically would like to see the complete track waveform a bit larger. I am not one of the younger DJs, I am sure, and my vision isn't what it used to be back when I was 20 :-)
pueblofunky 8:20 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
I too agree and specifically would like to see the complete track waveform a bit larger. I am not one of the younger DJs, I am sure, and my vision isn't what it used to be back when I was 20 :-)

+ 1
WarpNote 6:47 AM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1

What screen size are you guys running?
DJOTTO67 6:03 PM - 18 September, 2014
I run on a 13" macbook pro Resolution 1280 x 800
Mr Wilks 7:11 PM - 18 September, 2014
Bumpty bump (+1)