Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Tracks being marked as played after just previewing

Club Ample 5:15 PM - 3 October, 2013
I know I have seen this posted somewhere but I searched and couldnt find it... So I want to know if anyone else is bothered by this.... in scratch live tracks arent marked as played until you load a song on the other deck... with serato dj the songs get marked as played the instant the track is played. This makes no sense, sometimes I want to preview a track real quick with the headphones to see how it will mesh with the current track thats playing... I will often decide that its not a harmonically compatible song and I will move on to the next track.... Why are these tracks being marked as played... they should remain as non played tracks.
Mark Quest 6:37 PM - 3 October, 2013
...but you've played them already, even if it was only for 5-10 seconds, it counts as being played - because hey, the software doesn't know wether or not you're previewing a track or just mix very quickly!

Until Serato implements a track preview function, you're SOL buddy
Club Ample 10:59 PM - 3 October, 2013
As I said in scratch live it doesnt work this way... its only after a track has been loaded on another deck while the first track is being played will it turn color... so its already implemented in that program. In scratch live you can preview tracks all day long.. even without a serato box connected and the tracks dont turn color... so somehow scratch live knows it.. but serato dj doesnt.
deejdave 5:30 AM - 4 October, 2013
This is not true. The second you load a track in SSL it turns green. Even if you DON'T play it at at all. Furthermore if you hit the "next track" button repeatedly as fast as you can EVERY track will turn green accordingly until you stop. You sir.................... are wrong!!
Club Ample 6:55 PM - 4 October, 2013
I stand corrected about the stand alone mode while not connected to an SL device...perhaps that was an older version that worked like that because I would have bet you 20 bucks that was the case.......

however I just tried it with my 62... and absolutely the tracks do NOT change green until you load and start playing a track on the other deck... if you would like me to make a video and post it I will.
musiclee 7:05 PM - 4 October, 2013
you are correct Club Ample,
in SSL, dual deck,
Tracks turn green ONLY after loading another track to another deck while your current track is playing,
it's called AB, BA or something like that

you saying Serato DJ, doesn't do this?
it turns green right away after being loaded?

if so, that's crazy dumb !!!
Club Ample 7:09 PM - 4 October, 2013
yep you hit the nail on the head musiclee... i just made a video of it ... gonna upload it to youtube and post it here.... and crazy dumb is an accurate description... because not only should the track not turn to a played track color... there should be an option to have previewed tracks turn another color... such as dark gray.
akakak 7:25 PM - 4 October, 2013
I didn't know about that in SL. That sounds super useful. I often preview tracks, or load the wrong one if I can't remember the name.

+1
Club Ample 7:32 PM - 4 October, 2013
Youll notice the track ABC is white until about 8 seconds in the clip. at which time I load a track on the right deck, and then it turns green.

youtu.be
musiclee 10:47 PM - 4 October, 2013
Hopefully Serato will fix this before February 2014 when the SL's 2-3 get support for SDJ
Club Ample 10:56 PM - 4 October, 2013
I really thought in stand alone mode they didnt turn played either... perhaps it was an older version of SL.. or perhaps Im just very forgetful. Im going to install an older version just to see. I feel like I shouldnt have to turn on a $2000 62... or a $1000 sx to browse tracks in my crates without them being marked as played.
Club Ample 11:47 PM - 4 October, 2013
So yeah I downloaded 2.2 and 1.9 and in stand alone mode the tracks change to played so I was 100% wrong on that portion of my original post.
pdidy 4:54 AM - 5 October, 2013
You need to get the APP Plugin (automatic preview plugin) . It's much faster and more efficient than all other previewing options on the market and it's free.
Club Ample 6:34 AM - 5 October, 2013
Im clueless about this... its a plugin for Serato DJ or Scratch Live?
pdidy 9:32 AM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
Im clueless about this... its a plugin for Serato DJ or Scratch Live?

It's compatible with all dj software......
Dj Nyce 9:52 PM - 5 October, 2013
wowzers. this is a biggie. i remember the long hard fought battle to get this implemented in ssl. people where fighting over whether it should be time based or abba, etc. and you tell me its not in sdj? wtf? serato wants us to move to sdj, the new flagship, but it doesn't have basic features like this?

it's about to get nuts in here come december.
nik39 11:37 PM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
This is not true. The second you load a track in SSL it turns green. Even if you DON'T play it at at all. Furthermore if you hit the "next track" button repeatedly as fast as you can EVERY track will turn green accordingly until you stop. You sir.................... are wrong!!

Um.. connect your SL hardware, and try it out for yourself. You'll be surprised.

Club Ample, which SDJ hardware are you using?
Club Ample 6:17 AM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Um.. connect your SL hardware, and try it out for yourself. You'll be surprised.

Something tells me we won't be hearing from him again on this thread. lol

I am using the DDJ- SX
nik39 12:23 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
I am using the DDJ- SX

I mean when using SL.
Club Ample 5:48 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
wowzers. this is a biggie. i remember the long hard fought battle to get this implemented in ssl. people where fighting over whether it should be time based or abba, etc. and you tell me its not in sdj? wtf? serato wants us to move to sdj, the new flagship, but it doesn't have basic features like this?

it's about to get nuts in here come december.

I thought it was a pretty major deal... and surprised it hasnt been raised by anyone.. I couldnt find a thread about it although I thought I had seen one in the past. I figure they would implement it in one of the updates since 1.1 but nope... 1.5 is here and still nothing. Hopefully when the 2 merge completely and they have the developers going full time on SDJ some of these things will be corrected.
Club Ample 5:48 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I am using the DDJ- SX

I mean when using SL.

I use a Rane 62
deejdave 6:48 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Something tells me we won't be hearing from him again on this thread. lol

I am using the DDJ- SX

Why would I. You took the high road and simply stated you were wrong. I am not going to gloat or expect anything in my honor. No harm/no foul right? What did you need to hear from me?
deejdave 6:15 AM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

When the SL hardware is connected (Online mode) it doesn't change color right away.
When the SL hardware is NOT connected (offline mode) it does change color right away. Obviously I was talking about the latter................... I just didn't think I had to specify being there is only one way in which this happens. Even the OP understood as I was responding to
Quote:
In scratch live you can preview tracks all day long.. even without a serato box connected and the tracks dont turn color
Club Ample 6:50 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
Why would I. You took the high road and simply stated you were wrong. I am not going to gloat or expect anything in my honor. No harm/no foul right? What did you need to hear from me?

You never really stated what I was wrong about. I posted about 2 scenarios and you just said You sir................are wrong!! Which seems a little smug to me. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
nik39 7:46 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
When the SL hardware is connected (Online mode) it doesn't change color right away.
When the SL hardware is NOT connected (offline mode) it does change color right away. Obviously I was talking about the latter................... I just didn't think I had to specify being there is only one way in which this happens. Even the OP understood as I was responding to
Quote:
In scratch live you can preview tracks all day long.. even without a serato box connected and the tracks dont turn color

Dave, you are again wrong because you are not precise enough. Sorry.
deejdave 8:08 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:

The first quote which IS mine Is both correct and precise. The second quote is false and IS NOT mine. I am starting to learn who is who here. I was expecting the usual "I stand corrected" from you LOL.

Quote:
Quote:

You never really stated what I was wrong about. I posted about 2 scenarios and you just said You sir................are wrong!! Which seems a little smug to me. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

and YOU. First you Understand what I was talking about

Quote:
So yeah I downloaded 2.2 and 1.9 and in stand alone mode the tracks change to played so I was 100% wrong on that portion of my original post.

and now out of left field with his not so uncommon wrong 2 cents. (literally search hard enough and you'll understand what I'm saying) and now you NO LONGER GET what I was saying at all? You can be a leader or a follower. When you choose follower make sure your leader is heading down the right path.

Lastly
When the SL hardware is NOT connected (offline mode) it does change color right

is 100% correct and I DID not make this up. If you believe it to be erroneous take it up with Serato as I am no longer tracking this "post".
pdidy 8:22 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
If you believe it to be erroneous take it up with Serato as I am no longer tracking this "post".

BOOM ! 31.media.tumblr.com
Club Ample 9:25 PM - 7 October, 2013
Good lord dude

Quote:
Lastly
When the SL hardware is NOT connected (offline mode) it does change color right

If you had posted that from the beginning you wouldnt have sounded like such an elitist.
But you had to offer your condescending 2 cents.

I knew only that you were saying I was wrong...but how could I know you were saying I was wrong about one and not both. Go take a look at your first post on the thread, you didnt offer those details. Only after I posted a video as proof did you make that comment ^^

You wont be missed on this thread.
Club Ample 9:26 PM - 7 October, 2013

^ this
nik39 9:53 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! I guess I quoted the wrong post ;)

So yes, this is the correct behaviour in SL. It looks a bit different in Itch.

However, I thought that with the 57 SL behaved a bit different too. But - I sold my 57 *crying tears* :-/
Club Ample 5:34 PM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! I guess I quoted the wrong post ;)

So yes, this is the correct behaviour in SL. It looks a bit different in Itch.

However, I thought that with the 57 SL behaved a bit different too. But - I sold my 57 *crying tears* :-/

I wouldnt be too sad about selling the 57, since it will be unsupported eventually. Good reason to go buy a 62.

Back to the problem at hand though.. I guess if I want to skim through my library and preview songs I can use SSL and my 62... Sucks that I have to use such an expensive piece of equipment for this though. I really hope they resolve this in one of the next couple updates and ideally I think the tracks shouldnt be turning color even in stand alone mode.
nik39 5:49 PM - 9 October, 2013
I guess there are arguments for both sides.

Oh ... The 57 is still the shit!!! Esp quality and build wise!!
Club Ample 8:39 PM - 9 October, 2013
Arguments for both side of the tracks turning color?

Definitely the 57 is still a solid piece , no hatin... really the only thing holding it back is the USB 1.1. It does make me laugh how people are up in arms that it wont be compatible with serato DJ... but my feeling is that SSL does so much right now that someone could easily use a current version for the next 5 or 6 years without any problems. Its only the select few who find the need for the latest features of software... while still running discontinued hardware.

Only time will tell if the 62 holds up as well as the 57 did. There are more features on it so thats more things to break but so far mine is still like new... well over a year old.
nik39 9:38 PM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
Arguments for both side of the tracks turning color?

Sorry, I mean there are arguments for
- tracks should immediately turn green/grey/blue when loaded
and
- tracks should use some kind of logic to decided whether they have been player or not.
DJBOOTLEG 8:50 PM - 2 June, 2015
Running a Rane Sixty-Two DJ Mixer and have this same problem thats driving me nuts. As for me this did not start happening until a recent update. Prior to this recent update, I would cue a song and no color would change until the cross fader was switched over. As said by:::
Mike Butler 12:22 AM - 1 May, 2015
If you don't have the main volume sliders up the track isn't marked as played now. They seem to have changed the track played logic totally in 1.7.4 - it now seems to be marked as played if the track is played AND the volume slider is open. There are no conditions like having to play in a 1-2-1 sequence anymore.Playing with the volume down and CUE enabled doesn't mark the track as played. This was a major thing for me in 1.7.3 too as I do mainly parties and weddings where I'm often pre-listening to tracks.

This is the only way I can get around this bug. This is a bug because its a new problem! but playing with the channel ladder every mix is ridiculous!

This newwer update makes it so a track is played for 1 sec and turns a color. echoing what DJ Bea 2:10 AM - 30 April, 2015

this needs to be fixed!!
Dj Nad 10:34 AM - 27 September, 2015
Hello,
Did anyone found a solution with this problem???
each time I load a file for preview is automatically marked as played,
I noticed it's only happening when I use serato dj with DVS & Pioneer DJM900 Nexus,
if I connect my Rane SL4 it's not doing that problem, so I hope the support team will fix this bug,,,,,,,,,,,,,
DJBOOTLEG 6:00 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
Hello,
I noticed it's only happening when I use serato dj with DVS & Pioneer DJM900 Nexus,
if I connect my Rane SL4 it's not doing that problem, so I hope the support team will fix this bug,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I now think its not a software issue with Serato but a hardware issue with the Rane Sixty-Two mixer its self. At one point I had a crossfader replaced by Rane and I bet someone messed up or its a flaw in the cross fader. Every week just force playing with bunk gear... drives me crazy every Friday and Saturday night!
Dj Nad 9:30 AM - 2 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

I now think its not a software issue with Serato but a hardware issue with the Rane Sixty-Two mixer its self. At one point I had a crossfader replaced by Rane and I bet someone messed up or its a flaw in the cross fader. Every week just force playing with bunk gear... drives me crazy every Friday and Saturday night!

I reported this issue to serato support team & they said that they are aware of this bug & hopefully will have a fix in the new update, again we have no issue when connecting the Rane SL4 only with DVS & Pioneer Mixer connection.
JayDJ130 2:52 PM - 7 December, 2015
I'm also seeing this issue in 1.8. Hope they fix soon.
DJBOOTLEG 8:19 AM - 14 January, 2016
no solution yet! wtf!
Dj Nad 8:24 AM - 14 January, 2016
yeah nothing yet, really baddddd
DJ Tecniq 10:33 AM - 14 January, 2016
Scratchlive > Serato DJ (Always behind)👏🏻
Dj Nad 10:35 AM - 2 February, 2016
I wish they kept scratch live supported & updated to work in parallel with serato dj coz it's a lot more stable with no bugs, the new version is a bit heavy on loading & exit,,
also in history u can't see the file name but only the tag name,, starnge
hope they fix those issues soon
Dj Nad 9:42 AM - 8 March, 2016
in the new update 1.8.2 ?? Any Fix for the problem of tracks shown as played after just loading it ???
DJBOOTLEG 7:22 PM - 11 March, 2016
No, the mixer had a fader replaced and at the manufacture (I believe) they installed the fader incorrectly. When I DJed with other mixers i had no problems. I have a new mixer (Same Sixty-Two Modle) no issue with this problem. Now just El Capitan issues!
Dj Nad 8:06 AM - 12 March, 2016
just loading it will make the track turn blue without even playing it, & I don't have this problem when connected to Rane SL3 & SL4 , it's only when I'm connected to a pioneer mixer such as 900 nexus through the DVS, talking to serato they knowledge the problem but no fix yet apparently
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 3:55 AM - 3 May, 2016
Hey guys Jason here from the products team at HQ,

For the DJM 850/900 Nexus this is an issue that mainly lies with the way the hardware reports its state to us, we can't rely on the fader (both cross and up) to give us an accurate rundown of their current state like we can with other hardware. We are looking into this problem and I just wanted to check with you all if changing these mixers "played track" rule to align with how the SL4 works would be the best solution due to the limitation of what these hardware pieces can send back to SDJ.

The way the SL4 (I only use this as its 4 channel but the same logic applies to the rest of the SL boxes) marks a track as played relies on the rest of the current decks, once a new track is loaded the previously loaded track is marked as played. This means that if you have two decks playing, say on deck 1/2, and wish to preview your next track on deck 3 you are able to load that to deck and preview without it being marked as played. If that track isn't what you want in the mix you just eject and preview the next until you find the track you want which will be marked as played when you load the next deck. The one caveat to this implementation - the LAST track you play will not be marked as such until SDJ is closed and re-opened as there is no load to deck to prompt it, this means anything you preview at that time and leave on a deck could be added as played but this hasn't seemed like much of an issue to users with SL boxes and at least will give a more accurate "played track" history.

Let me know if that approach sounds good and we can schedule it in for upcoming work!

Its a shame these mixers cant report what we need to use some fader logic, because of that fact this is the best solution I can think of but I am open to any other suggestions for these two mixers!

Cheers,

Jas
DJ Unique 4:37 AM - 3 May, 2016
Tracking...
This happens to me as well.
I've noticed only on my DDJ-SX2 but will check on my 62
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 4:46 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
Tracking...
This happens to me as well.
I've noticed only on my DDJ-SX2 but will check on my 62

Hey DJ Unique,

What issues are you having? These devices have a very different workflow, the issue (and the proposal above) is in relation to the DJM 850 and 900 nexus due to the way the faders report information to us, the SX2 and the Rane 62 should not have this same issue so it could be a different bug or just a misunderstanding of the expected behaviour, let me know whats up and I can help out!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 5:13 AM - 3 May, 2016
In short on those devices - if you load a track to deck with the crossfader open (in relation to that deck) and then have the upfader open (up) then the track is playing it will then be marked and played in the library, are you experiencing anything different to that?
DJ Unique 5:48 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
In short on those devices - if you load a track to deck with the crossfader open (in relation to that deck) and then have the upfader open (up) and the track is playing it will then be marked and played in the library, are you experiencing anything different to that?

This is exactly what is happening.

It would be better to reprogram SDJ to mark as read only after previous track has been unloaded or replaced with next track. Having to lower the upfader is an extra unnecessary step.
DJ Unique 5:48 AM - 3 May, 2016
I don't remember this being a problem for me on SSL with my 57SL.
DJ Tecniq 5:54 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
I don't remember this being a problem for me on SSL with my 57SL.
Lol cause it never "was" a problem👌🏻💯 SDJ has it's issues.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 8:14 AM - 3 May, 2016
No need to lower the upfader DJ Unique, this should work the same way as SSL as far as I remember, the track will only be marked as played if the crossfader and upfader are open for that deck and the track is playing
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 8:15 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If there is issues with SDJ in regards to played tracks Tecniq now is the time to let me know! I'm here to help :)
DJ Tecniq 9:52 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If there is issues with SDJ in regards to played tracks Tecniq now is the time to let me know! I'm here to help :)
Nope I don't really use it to play out with my SL3. But I did order an s9 so yes if I have issues prepare yourself...lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:03 AM - 3 May, 2016
Its a lovely mixer! we will be here if you have any troubles man just reach out to support <3
DJ Unique 4:58 AM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
No need to lower the upfader DJ Unique, this should work the same way as SSL as far as I remember, the track will only be marked as played if the crossfader and upfader are open for that deck and the track is playing

I still wish it did not work like this.

Sometime I'm just testing a tiny bit of song, hoping to mix it in. Doing this will mark this new track as played even though I might have only tested less than 5 secs.

It would work better for me if the new track was marked as "played" once I unloaded previous track.
Dj Nad 9:56 AM - 9 May, 2016
I Repeat Guys in Tech please listebn:
just loading the track & removing it to any deck it will make the track turn blue without even playing it for 1 sec , just load & unload & boom it's blue once u do that,
the DVS extension was not free so we expect to use it & till now I can't use it with a major mixer like 900 nexus, I need to hook up my SL Rane box every time,,
thx
DJ Unique 9:25 PM - 9 May, 2016
Quote:
just loading the track & removing it to any deck it will make the track turn blue without even playing it for 1 sec , just load & unload & boom it's blue once u do that,
the DVS extension was not free so we expect to use it & till now I can't use it with a major mixer like 900 nexus, I need to hook up my SL Rane box every time,,
thx
klixxx 10:59 AM - 16 May, 2016
Just make it like it used to be on SSL. Once u play the next track the previous track becomes green.
Or if thats not possible just make it so that if the track is play more than 15 seconds it becomes green.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 1:34 AM - 18 May, 2016
Thats the what we intend to do for these mixers klixxx,

Tracks will be marked as played on the DJM850 and DJM900 only if the deck is actually playing and after another track is loaded OR SDJ is closed (so that the last track of your set is marked)

:)
MurdoX 5:03 AM - 18 May, 2016
I noised this on my last gig. I connected my Mac straight to the CDJ's and the mixer which is nice but after playing for an hour I saw my crate pretty much was played. I know I had like 3 hours worth of tracks in there but now ended up with a few unplayed tracks.

Annoying as hell as I was not 100% sure on what tracks I already played and had to cut my set a bit short.

As usual there will be no update for this in a reasonable time but what is the workaround?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 5:25 AM - 18 May, 2016
I just mentioned we are working on this currently MurdoX so you should see a fix in a release soon :)

Currently you can force the mixers to send a midi dump that includes the fader state to SDJ by pressing the MIDI button on the device for 3 seconds, the reason we want to move away from that is its hard to remember! If you forget you will loose your setlist so it is easier to just provide the SL box style play state where nothing is marked as played until another deck is loaded.
H2o 7:57 PM - 31 July, 2016
Would also like to see a fix with this....I have an SL2 and a DDJ SX, I'm not sure if this happened with the SL2 as I haven't used it for a few days, but I am certainly noticing this issue with the DDJ SX. The old behavior where Scratch Live only marked a song as played after the next song was loaded on the opposite deck was clearly the best implementation
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 1:35 AM - 1 August, 2016
What behaviour are you seeing with the DDJ-SX H2o?

Quote:
In short on those devices - if you load a track to deck with the crossfader open (in relation to that deck) and then have the upfader open (up) then the track is playing it will then be marked and played in the library, are you experiencing anything different to that?

Are you seeing the behaviour I mention above? This is expected due to Serato DJ knowing the fader positions of your SX (where we cannot tell with an SL box what the mixer faders are doing)
Dj Nad 4:25 AM - 1 August, 2016
We've been waiting for a long time now (since years if you look at the post date,, so I Hope a fix will be in the upcoming release coz I'm seeing this issue now even when I connect my SL4 & anytime I just load a track it's marked in blue without even playing it,
strange as it didn't do that in the previous release,
guys stop adding gadgets like pulselocker and concentrate on the stability & reliability like it used to be in SSL,
thanks
DJ Unique 7:23 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
thx
DJ Unique 7:23 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Sometime I'm just testing a tiny bit of song, hoping to mix it in. Doing this will mark this new track as played even though I might have only tested less than 5 secs.

It would work better for me if the new track was marked as "played" once I unloaded previous track.
DJ Ravien 9:05 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
What behaviour are you seeing with the DDJ-SX H2o?

Quote:

Are you seeing the behaviour I mention above? This is expected due to Serato DJ knowing the fader positions of your SX (where we cannot tell with an SL box what the mixer faders are doing)

So what you are saying is that I could play an entire track through cue and it shouldn't be marked as played? This is certainly not the behavior I have with the DDJ-SZ. Tracks get marked as played regardless if the cross fader and upfader are open. Sometimes simply loading a track marks it as played even with out ever technically playing the track.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:58 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:

Okay understandable that's not the behaviour you desire for the device but it is the current implementation, some like it this way and some do not - I do see where you are coming from but to initiate a change to this behaviour its probably best suited to a feature request to gather some support for that style of track logic for devices that report their fader state to us, we need a large group of users to agree as this would most likely be implemented as an option and not a change due to others wanting the current fader logic.

You can start a feature request a change here; serato.com

Cheers DJ Unique sorry I can't offer more at this point!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:11 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
We've been waiting for a long time now (since years if you look at the post date,, so I Hope a fix will be in the upcoming release coz I'm seeing this issue now even when I connect my SL4 & anytime I just load a track it's marked in blue without even playing it,
strange as it didn't do that in the previous release,
guys stop adding gadgets like pulselocker and concentrate on the stability & reliability like it used to be in SSL,
thanks

This is not the behaviour I see DJ Nad, what release are you using? I have just tested this in 1.9.1- if I load a track to deck it will not turn blue until another track is loaded to another deck or Serato DJ is shut down, what exact behaviour are you seeing on the SL4 and in which release?

Thanks,

J
Dj Nad 6:22 AM - 6 August, 2016
Hello Jason,
I'm Using the 1.9.1
now just updated to 1.9.2 and must test it soon on DJM 900 Nexus & get back to you
on SL4 it's working fine for the past 2 nights, but I encountered audio drop outs for 3 times
while plying & now I'm trying to figure out is it the control cd or the deck lens or the serato dj,
will get back to u soon,
thanks
Beatlogik 9:09 PM - 17 November, 2016
Thought I'd chime in with my experience. I sold my Pioneer DJM900SRT for the Rane MP2015. With the 900SRT my previewed tracks would not be marked as played until I engaged either the volume fader or the crossfader, which essentially means that it is part of the mix and thus it has been played.

With the MP2015 there is no crossfader and, no matter where the channel mix knob is set to (even at 0), the track is always marked as played as soon as it is loaded and played.

Very annoying as I like to preview a lot of tracks depending on the crowd and how things will work in the given moment :(
DJ Unique 2:00 AM - 18 November, 2016
: (
DJ Unique 2:07 AM - 18 November, 2016
I have lost faith in Serato changing their software to eliminate this. If I preview or test a track but not actually play, it should not turn Blue.

They haven't yet figured out how to stop the spammy posts, which have been popping up for a few months now. Eventually there will be so many, that it might render this website useless.
H2o 12:25 PM - 27 November, 2016
Sorry for the late reply....

I'm not sure about the state of the faders on the DDJ SX, however, I just upgraded my TTM56S/SL2 combo to a Mixars Duo, and it's behaving the same way.

I did notice that if I load a new track to cue on the next deck, but have the volume fader lowered, it doesn't mark the track as played....if the volume fader is up, however, it gets marked as played and even if I go into the track history section and press the "mark track as unplayed" button on the track I selected, it STILL shows up as blue colored in my library!

This is simply unacceptable...if I select the wrong track, I can't even undo the "played track" selection. I mean, lowering the volume fader every time I load a track is a workaround, but this clearly should not be the way in which the software behaves by default...PLEASE CHANGE!!!!
Club Ample 11:17 AM - 2 December, 2016
3 Years Later
Hanginon 2:19 PM - 2 December, 2016
It is mind boggling to me that the this, as well as the ability to pre-listen to tracks, has been deliberately kept at the "two turntables and one analog mixer" level in Serato DJ.

Serato DJ should at least have an auto-que feature in the Sampler, that would automatically select the unused deck for previewing songs, but no, nothing.

Maybe someday they well realize their software is actually being used by DJ's other than those who mix to death only a dozen songs, looking for their 20 minutes of YouTube fame, but I doubt it.
AKIEM 5:18 PM - 2 December, 2016
Quote:

Maybe someday they well realize their software is actually being used by DJ's other than those who mix to death only a dozen songs, looking for their 20 minutes of YouTube fame, but I doubt it.

...thinking about other situations...
DJBOOTLEG 8:19 PM - 10 March, 2017
Ok--- Finally after years of agonizing torture of files showing up Blue (black, green- what ever color) after NOT being played, I think I figured it out! in an update for Serato some 3 years ago they changed the software for only standard (Normal) crossfader style, not hamster or interchangeable. Meaning Serato update some 3 years ago will only work if you DJ "normal". So Dj's like me, and the likes of DJ shadow, DJ Quest and DJ Q-Bert have this problem using Serato. I would guess, that everyone that is having this problem with tracks being played even know the fader was in the off position was because they dj hamster style (Like I do). Is there a solution? There must be but I have not figured it out yet? Im thinking some where in the preferences? A work around we have been doing for a couple years now is when I cue a track I pull down the "up and down fader" off so the track does not become highlighted. I Hope this helps some of you, I can't believe the numerous employees and Serato engineers I have talked to over the last 3 years couldn't figure this out- Its almost like this topic was just ignored by Serato?
AKIEM 6:37 PM - 11 March, 2017
Exactly. Thats the same annoying work around I am having to do. Except I think I have an actual bug or some thing where my cross fader is being ignored (I don't use hamster)

When they added this feature it was simple - mark the 2nd to last track 'played' when a new is leaded. I though it was perfect (I made the feature suggestion). Then at some point they added the faders for some reason. And it only works with certain mixers that way.

Anyway, just wanted to see if this was a known issue before I start a ticket.
DJBOOTLEG 4:42 PM - 21 March, 2017
hmmm, I was unaware that the older Serto "marked the 2nd to last track played"instead of using the x-fader as the deciding factor to highlight a track as played. Probably the Scratch "Live" Version.
Just to warn you I've replaced my MacBook Pros, Rane Sixty-Two's etc. and the problem is still there. This has been a problem for quite a few of us. Serato just needs to change the the software in program. Akiem let us know what happens-Thanks
Club Ample 5:08 PM - 21 March, 2017
Ive run into another issue that I think might be related... I sometimes play entire nights with one deck so I'm doing instant doubles all night.... Often when I put tracks in the prepare crate they are disappearing... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the crossfader triggering the track as being played.
AKIEM 12:24 AM - 22 March, 2017
Last several sets Ive played its been working fine and have no idea why its working now.

I play single deck style too.

Any track you play in the prepare crate disappears. Thats by design - been asking them to change that since the beginning.
Club Ample 1:29 AM - 22 March, 2017
Quote:
Last several sets Ive played its been working fine and have no idea why its working now.

I play single deck style too.

Any track you play in the prepare crate disappears. Thats by design - been asking them to change that since the beginning.

Yeah but I'm seeing tracks from the prepare crate disappear even though I haven't played them yet. It's mad annoying because my brain is shot and I can't remember the name of songs I put in there 10 seconds earlier. lol
AKIEM 2:50 AM - 22 March, 2017
oh, if you haven't played them - yeah that does sound related.

that sucks - lol
'86 4:24 PM - 14 March, 2019
Is there any update to this issue?

Imo, SSL had it right; the current SDJ method of marking tracks as "played" is super-annoying...
DJ Tecniq 9:00 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Imo, SSL had it right; the current SDJ method of marking tracks as "played" is super-annoying...
That’s cause SSL developers were ahead of their time. SDJ developers stay in the dinosaur ages😕
DJ Unique 11:25 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
That’s cause SSL developers were ahead of their time. SDJ developers stay in the dinosaur ages😕

LOL...
They are too worried about updating software to add new controllers created every month.
Res-Q 11:38 PM - 15 March, 2019
Quote:

+1
internetdarwin 5:57 PM - 17 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1 as well. This is especially useful for going back re-constructing a great set, or not accidentally playing the same track when in a three hour mix. Sometimes, I'll preview 2-5 different tracks before mixing them in, and they all get marked as "played" even though I never actually played them. The old SSL behavior of only marking it as played when another deck is loaded is preferred.
Hanginon 2:15 PM - 18 March, 2019
None of this would be an issue if Serato joined the 21st Century and had a dedicated Preview/Pre-Listen feature like every other major DJ software has.

There is always push back on this, but the simple fact is that the ability to Preview a track WITHOUT having to load it into a Deck or Sampler is far superior.
AKIEM 8:15 PM - 18 March, 2019
hows that superior?
Hanginon 10:33 PM - 18 March, 2019
Quote:
hows that superior?

Zero chance of Previewed song being marked as "Played".
Zero chance of Previewed song accidentally going to the Main Output.
Faster, especially if you play with "locked" decks.
AKIEM 11:06 PM - 18 March, 2019
being marked when not played is a fault or bug

making sure your fader is closed is quicker and easyer. becomes second nature. after some practice its not a problem, guess its for new users.

and then you listen through the laptop?

sounds like a more trouble and precautions that practice solves

but eh whatver
Hanginon 3:40 AM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:

Yes, it is - but by "fixing" it for every combination of settings, they might screw it up worse than if they simple added a dedicated preview.

Quote:

No, the headphones are only connected to the controller or mixer.

Quote:

Actually, the exact opposite.
AKIEM 7:19 AM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it is - but by "fixing" it for every combination of settings, they might screw it up worse than if they simple added a dedicated preview.

I guess. Ive always advocated for simple over complicated which serato hasn't agreed it seems. song 1 load > song 2 load > song 3 load > song 1 marked played.

but its connected with the fader or whatever. last year I had problem for a while, middle of gigs it would just randomly decide to mark everything loaded for a while

Quote:

Quote:

No, the headphones are only connected to the controller or mixer.

Quote:

Actually, the exact opposite.

hmmm. I would have to see it. how do you try/cue a song if you can't control it? you would listen for the song you want, then stop then load it, then cue it?

I just load the song, often loads on beat even, if I like it play it - seems like one less step. hand on cross fader when I load, never a mistake
orbit122 7:42 PM - 3 April, 2019
This is Maddening! A loaded track is NOT a played track. I often move through several tracks before I find the one that gets played. This used to result in only the track that gets marked as being played due to it not getting marked until the other deck is loaded with a new track.

How on earth is this still an issue?? How does Serato justify this as expected behavior? Why does the behavior change from controller/mixer/soundcard??

Im so glad I only have to use Serato seldomly. It gets worse year after year with the only notable updates are more useless controller support.
orbit122 8:15 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Okay understandable that's not the behaviour you desire for the device but it is the current implementation, some like it this way and some do not - I do see where you are coming from but to initiate a change to this behaviour its probably best suited to a feature request to gather some support for that style of track logic for devices that report their fader state to us, we need a large group of users to agree as this would most likely be implemented as an option and not a change due to others wanting the current fader logic.

You can start a feature request a change here; serato.com

Cheers DJ Unique sorry I can't offer more at this point!

Why would someone like it this way? This does not make any sense at all. But even if some do like this way you see there are plenty who don't so why not make it an option? Also does not make sense that one needs to make feature request for something that worked before.
Res-Q 9:29 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:

Also does not make sense that one needs to make feature request for something that worked before.

This!
Hanginon 10:18 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:

Quote:
I guess. Ive always advocated for simple over complicated which serato hasn't agreed it seems. song 1 load > song 2 load > song 3 load > song 1 marked played.

but its connected with the fader or whatever. last year I had problem for a while, middle of gigs it would just randomly decide to mark everything loaded for a while

Here's your problem - one spec of dirt on the Crossfader (or the Level sliders if you're not using the Crossfader), or if they are not completely slid to the end of their travel, and Serato DOES NOT KNOW that track is NOT playing. It needs to see zero bits on the control.

Again, the simple solution for everyone (Serato and Users) is a dedicated Track Prelisten/Preview that is independent of having to load a track into a Deck or Sampler.
Every single other DJ software has it? Why do you think they did that??
...and please get over the knee jerk reaction that other software is for neophytes.
AKIEM 10:38 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Here's your problem - one spec of dirt on the Crossfader (or the Level sliders if you're not using the Crossfader), or if they are not completely slid to the end of their travel, and Serato DOES NOT KNOW that track is NOT playing. It needs to see zero bits on the control.

Again, the simple solution for everyone (Serato and Users) is a dedicated Track Prelisten/Preview that is independent of having to load a track into a Deck or Sampler.
Every single other DJ software has it? Why do you think they did that??
...and please get over the knee jerk reaction that other software is for neophytes.

What? So DJs who use the normal mixer cue system as has been standard from day one of DJing are supposed to start using a 'track pre listen' feature or whatever? nah

Whatever track is playing should be marked as played. The track which is only loaded should not until another is leaded and that one is played. And then an option for it to look at fader position, just in case you load and play a track on one side twice (if anyone even really does that much)
Hanginon 11:03 PM - 3 April, 2019
Quote:
What? So DJs who use the normal mixer cue system as has been standard from day one of DJing are supposed to start using a 'track pre listen' feature or whatever? nah

Absolutely not - whatever you do for Cueing now would still work exactly as always. What I am saying is that doing it that way, and having 100% reliability that the Track won't be marked as "Played", is probably never going to happen. For example, if you have the crossfader enabled, and you have the slightest amount of "bleeding', you are screwed. You will only get 100% if you have a separate feature.

...and I'm also saying that if they try to fix it for every single combination and permutation of the controls, including dirty ones, IMHO it might mess up the software worse than if they just added the separate feature.
AKIEM 12:01 AM - 4 April, 2019
song 1 loaded
song 2 loaded, song 1 marked played
song 3 loaded, song 2 marked played
orbit122 2:00 AM - 4 April, 2019
What I am saying is that doing it that way, and having 100% reliability that the Track won't be marked as "Played", is probably never going to happen. For example, if you have the crossfader enabled, and you have the slightest amount of "bleeding', you are screwed. You will only get 100% if you have a separate feature.

This is just inaccurate. This worked just fine in SL but now in with Sdj depending on what controller or soundcard your are using the results vary. I use a 62 and if you load a track and the upfader is up the track will show as played on load but if its down it does not. If I am using my SL2 the behavior is that a loaded track is not marked as played until another deck is loaded. None of this should have anything to do with fader positions. This just adds one more thing for me to worry about in an already stressful night. I mean why was this even implemented? Where is the feature request for such a ridiculous function? What was improved by adding this?

I need to keep track of songs I have played so i can quickly find the next track I want to play. I scan through ha track and if I don't feel it at the moment I wait to play it but now sense I simply loaded it its now marked as played. This might not be an issue for guest Djs or nights where you are 1 of 12 DJs but for a resident spinning 4 hours sets its a game changer. It's just ridiculous that the only updates we get are for controllers no one uses. So many feature request get ignored.
Res-Q 10:26 PM - 6 April, 2019
We need Serato staff to notice this thread....

Bring back the way it worked before!
Dont bother external preview or whatever bells and whistles, all we need is for the tracks to be marked the way they were before.

I am with Akiem
song 1 loaded
DJ Tecniq 10:45 PM - 6 April, 2019
They have Serato studio to worry about now they don’t care for us working dj’s That rely on bug fixes & stability. Truth hurts 😕
AKIEM 6:28 PM - 7 April, 2019
Couple things like this where there was a super easy solution they made all complicated probably resulting in the bugs.... sigh - at this point why even mention these things?
Shiny_D 7:27 PM - 9 March, 2023
The ear is 2023. and this problem is still ignored by serato?

Quote:
song 1 loaded

I agree with this