DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Not looking at the waveforms does not make you a cool guy or a better DJ.

DJ Michael Basic 7:54 PM - 9 December, 2008
Discuss.
Chrisjin 7:57 PM - 9 December, 2008
*rolls eyes*
Ruffdawg 7:58 PM - 9 December, 2008
Yes it does,
however if you wanted to really get in depth with your audio arrangement you could with the 3 band waveforms, thats the only reason i can think of for using them, other than that....well....yes it does ;)
DVDjHardy 7:59 PM - 9 December, 2008
::Hysterically LOL::
sacrilicious 8:01 PM - 9 December, 2008
I use them a little because I'm playing so many new tracks I'm not intimately familiar with. If I've just downloaded something then I don't know its high hat sound from the other brand new track I've just downloaded. Basically, my library is 6,000 songs right now vs. the 600 records I used to have. If tracks start to waver in a long blend it's helpful to not give a push on the wrong platter.

You certainly look stupid when you're glued to the screen, though. Being able to check the forms has gotten me cocky and headphoneless sometimes when I'm just plowing through mixing when I entertain at home, but you gotta be able to play by ear.

I think the waveforms are most useful for watching out for the beginning/entrance of breaks and lyrics etc. Big blocks of red are pretty useful to see in advance, making sure you never miss a non-telegraphed entrance.
Chrisjin 8:06 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:

You certainly look stupid when you're glued to the screen, though. Being able to check the forms has gotten me cocky and headphoneless sometimes when I'm just plowing through mixing when I entertain at home, but you gotta be able to play by ear.

I think the waveforms are most useful for watching out for the beginning/entrance of breaks and lyrics etc. Big blocks of red are pretty useful to see in advance, making sure you never miss a non-telegraphed entrance.

I feel you on that completely but there have been so many instances at house parties and clubs where the headliner and other openers are glued and don't even use headphones anymore. I'm not against visual aids if need to be but if its for a whole set, either the DJ has gotten a bit lazy or this is a rookie who is hearing impaired but a superman with visuals.
Audio1 8:09 PM - 9 December, 2008
www.virginmedia.com Sam Ronson dont look kool!
sacrilicious 8:10 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:

Might be the outfit or the busted face! :D
Audio1 8:11 PM - 9 December, 2008
most wavies remind me of this dude www.sciam.com
Audio1 8:12 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Might be the outfit or the busted face! :D
both!
Audio1 8:14 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
I use them

Quote:
I'm not intimate

Quote:
gotten me cocky

Quote:
I'm just plowing

Quote:
watching out for the beginning

Quote:
making sure you never miss a non-telegraphed entrance.

misquote fun - j/k
DJ'Que 8:21 PM - 9 December, 2008
just because someone looks like their glued to the wave forms doesnt mean their looking at the wave form they could be trying to figure out what song to plsy next i see it every week this dj does that.
sacrilicious 8:23 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
just because someone looks like their glued to the wave forms doesnt mean their looking at the wave form they could be trying to figure out what song to plsy next i see it every week this dj does that.

Yeah, I'm also a victim of that--but trying to think "four songs in advance" instead. The 57 should step up my game if only in being more deck/mixer centric.
Audio1 8:23 PM - 9 December, 2008
Yeah. It depends on the DJ... I know sometimes I just type certain artists and drop a couple of tracks into my prepare window and then go from there... Sometimes you just select the next track and go... Some DJ's stare at the laptop all night tho. I try my best not to do, only when needed or planning ahead. MY weekend residency is 6 hours, so Im always having to plan ahead, according to how busy the club is, the people in the club, if its cracking or not.
DJ Mr. $ 8:25 PM - 9 December, 2008
long term, learing how to beat match with your ears will make you a better DJ. using the wave forms will help you beat match quicker. The best way to practice is to put a towel over the screan and go in absolute mode, then when you play live, the wave forms can assist you, but you will not have to rely on them.

i am guilty of looking at the wave forms way too much and am trying to break the habit.
MSF 8:25 PM - 9 December, 2008
im guilty of lookin at them waveform lines.. Sometimes, I be staring at that screen for a long ass time and not know it...

Like I heard from some other dude in the other thread... "People see me staring at the screen like its pussy"..lol...
Chrisjin 8:26 PM - 9 December, 2008
I'm sure people are going to look down on me for spewing out all this feelings towards it and the fact this is a Serato board, I may have opened a can of worms. Still love the product but most of all the Rane mixer. I love the fact I have complete control on my mixer to go through crates and effects without ever touching my laptop.
sopranosupasta 8:26 PM - 9 December, 2008
I find the only time their really help full is when im playing a spot with no monitor, missing or broken or whatever....but the waveforms are never truly "lined up" ,so if i look at it while im mixing it actually throws me off.
DJ Michael Basic 8:27 PM - 9 December, 2008
I agree that staring at the screen all night is not a good look. Doing any one thing all night is not a good look.

That having been said, name me a "big name DJ" and I'll name you a guy who looks at the waveforms. This idea that averting your eyes from the waveforms as if looking at them was akin to being a peeping tom is retarded. You are NOT a cooler guy or a better DJ if you don't ever look at the screen. I'm sorry, you're just not. Nobody gives a fuck except other DJs, and even then, the only other DJs who give a fuck are mostly no-name DJs who have little better to do than trainspot and talk shit.

Every time I read something on these boards about how some dude is a wavie because he was looking at the screen, or how serato developers should spend their time coding in a way to hide the waveforms...it bugs the shit out of me.

Now, should people be able to mix without them? Sure. Anytime I switch laptops with another DJ, I mix in a vinyl. Should I be trainwrecking that vinyl? Of course not. That having been said, I know I can mix without the waveforms, that doesn't meet I feel the need to to make myself look better to a bunch of DJs.
dirtbag filthy 8:28 PM - 9 December, 2008
with records you'd usually have your back turned to the crowd...its not much different
Chrisjin 8:29 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
I find the only time their really help full is when im playing a spot with no monitor, missing or broken or whatever....but the waveforms are never truly "lined up" ,so if i look at it while im mixing it actually throws me off.

Yeah exacty, when I first saw the waves, it threw me way off that I was like this shit is bogus.

Quote:
with records you'd usually have your back turned to the crowd...its not much different

For like a 15 seconds to dig a record versus you facing the crowd but to only stare at a screen
tig ol' bitties 8:34 PM - 9 December, 2008
I go back and forth...I start with my ears then after a few seconds I just use the waves for confirmation that I am on beat. Most of the time I am pretty on point right when I drop it and only need to give it a slight push or a pitch increase/decrease...

waves for me are more of a 2nd level of accurateness then anything.
DJ Sniffles 8:38 PM - 9 December, 2008
Im not gonna comment, but I'll say this.....I see so many djs here who pay way too much attention to what other djs are doing.
Audio1 8:39 PM - 9 December, 2008
Most DJ's dont need the waveforms, mainly ones who were DJing before Serato. Its the ones who picked up SSL first and never touched a piece of vinyl who depend on it alot. Give or Take, I guess.
DVDjHardy 8:40 PM - 9 December, 2008
So those of you who (supposedly) never look at waveforms...you must be amazing because I HAVE to look at them to find my loops and hit the right cue points. And its really not that much different than someone having to look at their vinyl to find their markers. Trust me, nobody in the crowd is dying ot make eye contact with your ugly mug! Just keep on keeping on, and let others do the same instead of "keeping it real".
Chrisjin 8:41 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
I agree that staring at the screen all night is not a good look. Doing any one thing all night is not a good look.

That having been said, name me a "big name DJ" and I'll name you a guy who looks at the waveforms. This idea that averting your eyes from the waveforms as if looking at them was akin to being a peeping tom is retarded. You are NOT a cooler guy or a better DJ if you don't ever look at the screen. I'm sorry, you're just not. Nobody gives a fuck except other DJs, and even then, the only other DJs who give a fuck are mostly no-name DJs who have little better to do than trainspot and talk shit.

Every time I read something on these boards about how some dude is a wavie because he was looking at the screen, or how serato developers should spend their time coding in a way to hide the waveforms...it bugs the shit out of me.

Ez there killer. No one said they were cool not looking at it. You have issues
Dj Shamann 10:03 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
Im not gonna comment, but I'll say this.....I see so many djs here who pay way too much attention to what other djs are doing.

For realsies. Some of the threads I see around here (Not Basic's) kill me. The things that I see some cats complain about when they're calling out "the wavies" make me think they're the exact thing they bitch about.

Seriously, I'll look at my laptop if I bloody well want to. I learned to Dj without headphones a good 14 years before Serato even hit the market (a concept a lot of people around here have a hard time grasping which is odd to me) so anybody that wants to call me a wavie over looking at the thing that's running my set, I'll gladly offer up my overall skills in a checklist of Dj 101, 202, 303, 404 and so on etc if you'd like to compare.

LOL that just made me think of something, imagine if we had some sort of a Dj gauntlet... not like DMC's but an all around basic to intermediate skills test. And instead of the dudes from American Gladiator we could have hot bikini chicks firing nerf balls at us while we ran from station to station.
Swizzle 10:12 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
, that doesn't mean I feel the need to to make myself look better to a bunch of DJs.

Good Post MBasic

And also, if a bunch of DJ's are at 'Your' gig noticing that then:
A. Business Must Be Good For You
B. Business Must Be Bad For Them
C. They have A crush on You and really Want to see you achieve your full potential.
mastermind 10:55 PM - 9 December, 2008
I think is wack to learn with serato. learn with out a visual aid!!!!!

lazy ass new DJ's
mastermind 11:00 PM - 9 December, 2008
i think to be a dj now in days is way to easy.Peole like my self that had to sacrifice lunch money in middle school to buy a record agree with me. Now you just download and go, use visual aids to help you beat match. there you!!! you can now be a DJ!!!!!!

Fuck that!!!
rlaci 11:04 PM - 9 December, 2008
i think that the best way is to learn without headphones and with real vinyl;)
DJ Sniffles 11:04 PM - 9 December, 2008
Times are changing, you don't have to accept it but it's not gonna make a difference. You will have to live with it though!
mastermind 11:30 PM - 9 December, 2008
whata joke. I have accept nothing. I give no repect to someone that does not deserves it. do it right or don't do it at all. quit looking at the waive forms and learn like the guys you repect.
DJ Sniffles 11:43 PM - 9 December, 2008
say that all you want but it won't change anything, that and some of those guys might be landing gigs you can't get. it's a new world. doesn't necessarily means they suck either. If you can rock a crowd you can rock a crowd....Whatcha gonna do?
djmarvel 11:46 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:
i think that the best way is to learn without headphones and with real vinyl;)

thats how i practiced
R-Tistic 11:55 PM - 9 December, 2008
Quote:

LOL...that's what it is. Thing is, DJ's, especially at the level that most are at on here, still feel as if they have to put other DJ's down just to make themselves seem as if they are better DJ's. You hear them talk about things that ONLY a DJ will notice or say.

When it comes to clubs, you'll hear many DJ's become critics in every way they can. If the dude plays commercial or "wack" songs but the crowd moves, it's "he was playin wack ass songs that everybody plays." If he plays great songs they love, but the crowd isn't into it 100%, then "he doesn't know how to work the crowd." If he plays great songs and keeps the crowd up, but his mixing and scratching isn't great, they'll mention that. If they do all of those things great, but they have a girl next to them all night, then "he's just a DJ who wants to be a celeb and have a hot girl next to him to make him look cool."

You'll never win arguing with other DJ's, period! LOL
Dj_KaGeN 11:57 PM - 9 December, 2008
I took 3 crates of vinyl to my gig a few weeks ago.. had the laptop hooked up just in case I needed to field something off the wall. Never loaded a track, yet I looked at the blank waveforms on the laptop a few times... not so helpful, but enlightening as to how you use that fuckin screen as a crutch.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:47 AM - 10 December, 2008
I really hate to admit this but as many of you know, I have been doing this for a while and to a certain degree my hearing is slightly shot after 25 years of spinning.

I use Cue Blend and peep the waveforms to re-assure what my ears are telling me.

Plus at the little resident Bar I spin at, I have a DJ partner and we tag team all night so I got in the habit of using HIS waveforms to critique "what and how" he is going to drop the next tune.

Sometimes with the waveforms, I see the floor being cleared even before the mix comes in, so I can hopefully try and pull a heater to rebuild.
mastermind 1:22 AM - 10 December, 2008
look if u have a handycap I understand but if you are able to hear well and see well there should be no reason why not learn by ear. to be honest I feel bad for those who cheat by looking at the waive forms because if you take them out of their element they would be fucked. no screen to look at! you are a one trick pony and I hope that you are not taken out of your element because you will look/sound like a lost lil boy in the woods at night. good look to all you that cheat!!!
djbigboy 1:30 AM - 10 December, 2008
i stare as shit cuz I am blind as hell....

You can hate me now....

Good comment about vinyl. I would spend a lot of times not looking at the crowd, at least now I get a good look at them with SSL...I stare at ass all night too...indirectly...-)
Chrisjin 1:45 AM - 10 December, 2008
Some of you guys make good points but the whole thing that was stressed was the fact that DJs nowadays don't even have to work for how we use to. Learning by ear and the only visual aid you had was marking your record. But that mark doesn't line up the beats or give you an aid for beat matching. For all you crate diggers, remember spending hours and hours at a record shop to find those gems? I remember getting yelled at by my ex because I took too long at a used book store digging. But those hours spent was half the thrill of the art of Djaying.

The OP took offense obviously to what I said in a previous thread so he is overly protecting the right to stare at a screen. Go ahead people, do stare, I really don't care. It was just my preference and my opinion STATING how the wave form and peaks are lame.
djbigboy 1:50 AM - 10 December, 2008
girlfriends at the record shop usually only lasted a few trips...the first time, they come in, maybe look around, check out t-shirts, second time, they are waiting in the car...third time they are coming in to yell at you to hurry up, after that, girlfriends didn't show anymore...

females always threw the balance of the record shop off anyways...most (not all) djs have good lookin girls, and biz stopped for a while when they were in there...if its a hot girl dj, traffic stopped on a dime...damn Val Sparks!
mastermind 2:08 AM - 10 December, 2008
if your blind as hell but can hear perfect. I don't feel bad for you. now you do have to look at the screen to pick your music but other than that you shoul have no problem blending.I also hate guys who touch the record wile trying to blend. use the pitch control not your finger to push the record. with key lock its not that noticable but still is wack. I bet if you are one that looks at the waive forms and you brake the habit you will feel a lot better about your djing skills.
phaeton 4:40 AM - 10 December, 2008
I put my laptop on the right hand side of the tables....it doesnt look good when the DJ is hiding behind a screen and i turn the brightness down.
mastermind 4:55 AM - 10 December, 2008
^^^^^^^you see all the real dj are coming out of the woodworks!
DJ Michael Basic 5:01 AM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
whata joke. I have accept nothing. I give no repect to someone that does not deserves it. do it right or don't do it at all. quit looking at the waive forms and learn like the guys you repect.

Aha. Guys like mastermind are exactly who this post was directed towards. Not you chrisjin. Your comment in the other thread simply reminded me to make a post I've been meaning to post for a while. Guys I respect? The real DJs are coming out? Am. Vice. Spryte. Scotty boy. Splyce. These are guys I respect. All have major skills, kill it in the clubs, make a ton of loot doing what they love, play all over the country so arent just some local guy with a big mouth...and guess what. They ALL play with the laptop in the middle and look at the waveforms while mixing. Are they not real DJs in your eyes? Who are you to tell anybody they arent a real dj?
Dj_KaGeN 5:07 AM - 10 December, 2008
fuck, i didn't make MB's list?
sixxx 5:13 AM - 10 December, 2008
My personal preference is to have the laptop right in front of me. I DO NOT use a stand of any kind, so it doesn't block my face or anything. Currently, the club I'm doing doesn't have a lot of room in the so called DJ booth, so I use only one turntable and I have to put the computer to the right. Does it bother me? Nah. Does it hinder me? Hell no.

Either way, I'm mixing with my ears. The time I spent looking at the computer is usually, as it has been said, to pick out songs, search, etc.

I will take advantage of the waveforms (and you should too) if I don't know a song and I'm looking for a place where it breaks down... although you usually know when a nice placed to mix out of a song is even if you've never heard the song before.

That's what an experienced DJ does. Not because I'm better... I'm just experienced.
sixxx 5:15 AM - 10 December, 2008
Excuse my grammar, etc. I'm tiiiiired.
mastermind 5:16 AM - 10 December, 2008
this is getting good now.I hope that one u can understand the hard work that it takes to be a top noch dj. dudes I repect are old school djs from the erly 80's in new york working till 6am with that old school head phones and stanton needles that skip like hell. the pioneers of what you and I do. so when you get to that level let me know bro. good luck with your crosseye head from looking at the waive forms to keep your mix from sounding like shit!
Chrisjin 5:47 AM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:

Aha. Guys like mastermind are exactly who this post was directed towards. Not you chrisjin. Your comment in the other thread simply reminded me to make a post I've been meaning to post for a while. Guys I respect? The real DJs are coming out? Am. Vice. Spryte. Scotty boy. Splyce. These are guys I respect. All have major skills, kill it in the clubs, make a ton of loot doing what they love, play all over the country so arent just some local guy with a big mouth...and guess what. They ALL play with the laptop in the middle and look at the waveforms while mixing. Are they not real DJs in your eyes? Who are you to tell anybody they arent a real dj?

Respect. I give big ups to AM and Vice but I have not heard of the others. I had stated that it's a joke that DJ's have a laptop covering their visual of the crowd they are commanding. I don't undermine the skills one bit but some are suspect. I never said they weren't real DJ's. And it's just my personal opinion on the waveforms and peaks. But more importantly you do have to admit that the art of DJaying has been taken the lazy way out for the new gen of Djs who rely on these waves and peaks. Sure they may one day end up being dope as shit but strip technology from them and they are back to stage one or wavies as what this board likes to refer them as.

Quote:

Either way, I'm mixing with my ears. The time I spent looking at the computer is usually, as it has been said, to pick out songs, search, etc.

I will take advantage of the waveforms (and you should too) if I don't know a song and I'm looking for a place where it breaks down... although you usually know when a nice placed to mix out of a song is even if you've never heard the song before.

That's what an experienced DJ does. Not because I'm better... I'm just experienced.

I too have the laptop either to the right or left of me depending the scenerio and I use the scroll on the mixer to load each track. However at spots that have the SSL box hooked up, I have learned all the key shortcuts for those situations. But someone else also mentioned that a waveform is nice to have if you play a song that you don't know. I don't think I've ever played a song without hearing it a few times before I throw it into a set even if it's on the fly. But if that is the case, like you said, usually there is a place where you can mix out or improvise.
pdm2000 6:59 AM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
dudes I repect are old school djs from the erly 80's in new york working till 6am with that old school head phones and stanton needles that skip like hell. the pioneers of what you and I do.

Every one of those DJs in Basic's list would absolutely destroy most of your old-school, keepin' it real DJs. With or without waveforms, or even Serato.

I know there are a few exceptions to that statement, you don't need to point them out.
mastermind 7:18 AM - 10 December, 2008
destroy in witch way?
pdm2000 7:26 AM - 10 December, 2008
Every which way? Except on your keepin-it-real-ometer I guess...
DJ Sniffles 7:26 AM - 10 December, 2008
a fist fight
Ruffdawg 7:50 AM - 10 December, 2008
I keep my laptop in the same place I'd put my record box, usually on a chair to the side of me. As far as Im concerned my laptop IS my record box, only downer is I look like an idiot when I'm hitting loops,cues etc and looking out to see if the crowd is liking it
DJ Schematic 7:50 AM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:

True that! Worst of all is, you're on one knee with a flashlight diggin' through your crates.

A good way to see if your looking at the screen too much, is to record yourself with a camera mixing @ home for like ten minutes. That video scared me straight! lol
DJ Schematic 7:52 AM - 10 December, 2008
Also, i marked my CV's with small stickers to give me a physical visual aid of the downbeat. (it's okay to stare at the vinyl) :P
mastermind 8:09 AM - 10 December, 2008
im not hating on guys like am. I admire their skill level. I realy don't care for his music selection. mashing songs up is cool in my book but every song you play has to me mashed cut sliced etc.let the song breath a lil bit. as far as my meter or what ever that dude said I realy don't care he can go worship dj am all day and night and help him wipe his ass!
pdm2000 8:17 AM - 10 December, 2008
Exactly the kind of response I expected
pdm2000 8:54 AM - 10 December, 2008
Look mastermind, I'm not trying to get you all agitated or anything. But one person's closed-minded view of what's acceptable for all the rest of us DJs is never gonna fly. It's not about 2 turntables and a mixer and real vinyl anymore. If you can rock the party just with that, great, so can most of the DJs on here. But we all took the next step up from those roots as soon as we plugged in the USB cable. Are we really going to base someone's DJing skills or credibility on how much or why they look at the screen, or, years from now, whether or not they learned on SSL? I guess I have greater hopes for this board's collective mindset.
kalibhakta 9:04 AM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
A good way to see if you're getting gay too much, is to record yourself with a camera being homo for like ten minutes. That video scared me straight! lol
dead serious 9:50 AM - 10 December, 2008
no headphones movement
DJ Young Herrera 3:19 PM - 10 December, 2008
Taken from Webster's online dictionary:

Main Entry: tech·nol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \-jē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tech·nol·o·gies
Etymology: Greek technologia systematic treatment of an art, from technē art, skill + -o- + -logia -logy
Date: 1859
1 a: the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area : engineering 2 <medical technology> b: a capability given by the practical application of knowledge <a car's fuel-saving technology>
2: a manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge <new technologies for information storage>
3: the specialized aspects of a particular field of endeavor <educational technology>

I think that definition number two is especially relevant to this discussion.

Me personally, I will use the wavforms and I don't know any DJs who use Serato who don't use the waveforms to some extent. Personally, I feel that this thread highlights what sniffles said so poiniantly earlier:

Quote:

The argument that is taking place here is a moot.

Its like arguing that the game of American football today is not "real" football and is so much easier than past iterations of the game because back in the day they only had cotton padding, leather helmets and no facemasks; so one cannot be considered a "real" football player unless they learned to play in that context. Only after you've played the game of football that way can you then embrace the technological advancements in padding and protection to take your game to the next level.

I don't think that is a valid argument and I don't think that you can fault the users of serato who did not learn to DJ the same way that you did simply because Serato exists. It is a standard. It is a tool. Simply by arguing this point you are positioning yourself as outdated. I find no fault in the preservation of traditional practices and techniques. I think that there are numerous lessons to be learned by looking at the past and previous ways of doing things. But in the end, one either embraces technology, or finds themselves in danger of being left behind by it.
DJ Sniffles 4:03 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:

Etymology: Greek technologia systematic treatment of an art, from technē art, skill + -o- + -logia -logy
1 a: the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area : engineering 2 <medical technology> b: a capability given by the practical application of knowledge <a car's fuel-saving technology>
2: a manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge <new technologies for information storage>
3: the specialized aspects of a particular field of endeavor <educational technology>

Me personally, I will use the wavforms and I don't know any DJs who use Serato who don't use the waveforms to some extent. Personally, I feel that this thread highlights what sniffles said so poiniantly earlier:

Quote:

The argument that is taking place here is a moot.

Its like arguing that the game of American football today is not "real" football and is so much easier than past iterations of the game because back in the day they only had cotton padding, leather helmets and no facemasks; so one cannot be considered a "real" football player unless they learned to play in that context. Only after you've played the game of football that way can you then
embrace the technological advancements in padding and protection to take your game to the next level.

I don't think that is a valid argument and I don't think that you can fault the users of serato who did not learn to DJ the same way that you did simply because Serato exists. It is a standard. It is a tool. Simply by arguing this point you are positioning yourself as outdated. I find no fault in the preservation of traditional practices and techniques. I think that there are numerous lessons to be learned by looking at the past and previous ways of doing things. But in the end, one either embraces technology, or finds themselves in danger of being left behind by it.

Do you talk like this when you're out with your friends?
DJ Young Herrera 4:18 PM - 10 December, 2008
For the most part, yes. I find that when stating an argument, concise clear no nonsense statements are the best approach.

Unless I'm fuckin drunk; which I usually am after 6PM.
sixxx 4:24 PM - 10 December, 2008
lol
Chrisjin 4:38 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
dudes I repect are old school djs from the erly 80's in new york working till 6am with that old school head phones and stanton needles that skip like hell. the pioneers of what you and I do.

Every one of those DJs in Basic's list would absolutely destroy most of your old-school, keepin' it real DJs. With or without waveforms, or even Serato.

I know there are a few exceptions to that statement, you don't need to point them out.

haha I was waiting for someone to post something of this stature. I knew it would come out. hahaha
Quote:

Quote:

Do you talk like this when you're out with your friends?

hahahaha that shit made me laugh out loud
DJDynasty 4:39 PM - 10 December, 2008
My 2 cents,
I use the wave forms for viewing the songs structure,for example the break coming up, breakdown or seeing a second break later in the song as well as the location of the playing .
I couldnt mix visully as well nor would I ever feel as comfortable as I do with headphones for beat matching. I've been mixing for just short of 30 years the beauty of vinyl was by looking at the spirals/grooves in the record I was able to see when the break, breakdown or secondary break was coming up. Do I know my songs well enough to just know when these are coming? Yes but as a failsafe aid reading the grooves was a great help with vinyl, as we are always busy with taking requests doing lights or running down to take a leak, looking at the location of the needle and whats coming up would be the first thing I do when I return to the tables.
As CD's started trickling into the scene I evolved mixing with them were easy, not lugging crates of records was a great relief but the major drawback of the CD was there was no way to see the structure of the song anymore anymore like we were able to with vinyl, yeah time remaining was nice but with all the availability of new music I admit I didnt know the songs as well anymore. I call it the mixing in the dark era. So with the advent of Serato brought everything together in one package, not lugging crates of records, not hunting through books of CD's for a particular song and getting a view of the structure of the song again.
My point being using the waveform is no different than looking at the needle placement and spirals when playing vinyl.
Seeing a DJ take a look at the location of the needle on a playing song was a great aid and nobody would of said oh he is looking at the spirals and needle location so he aint a real DJ! the same goes for the waveform, same info different means.
djaction 4:52 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
I go back and forth...I start with my ears then after a few seconds I just use the waves for confirmation that I am on beat.

oddly enough i sort of do the reverse..

i'll look at the waveforms to quickly que up a drum or snare and get it lined up, then I use my ears to beatmatch and confirm.
Joshua Carl 5:10 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:

one of the best statements made as it pertains to DJ'ing ever.

WAAAAAY back in the day, we used to read the records...
it was the only gripe that cd-djs could make towards vinyl...

I find myself glancing at the waveform. the same way Id look at a record.
looking for breakdowns, changes in the song ect.
all things Ive been doing for almost 20 years...

but as far as "not looking" the way its talked about here,making you a better dj,
I think it DEFITNATLY makes you a better DJ...
the question is, does it make you a better "only for serato" DJ..
IE, have to use an actual record or cd with no waveform
Milesy303 5:38 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
My point being using the waveform is no different than looking at the needle placement and spirals when playing vinyl.
Seeing a DJ take a look at the location of the needle on a playing song was a great aid and nobody would of said oh he is looking at the spirals and needle location so he aint a real DJ! the same goes for the waveform, same info different means.

+1 - couldn't have said it better. I always look at the vinyl to know the rough structure of the track....
stevie o 5:40 PM - 10 December, 2008
I started with vinyl so it doesn't bother me not to look at waves, In my bedroom the laptop is behind me to get me out of the habit of looking at the computer. I hate that look. It makes dj's look like major doosh's. Im always lookin at the computer to look for songs never at the waveform but it looks like Im reading email. I hate that. It gives me less time to interact with my friends and I appear anti social. My new years resolution is to cut my laptop looking time in half.
R-Tistic 5:47 PM - 10 December, 2008
Hey Mastermind....not that I really care, but you just seem way too bitter about this topic. I've NEVER heard someone complain that hard about it, whether they were superstar DJ's, regular resident club DJ's, or bedroom. If you can focus that energy somewhere else, I'm sure you wouldn't have time to think or care what other DJ's do...and if these "new DJ's" are taking your business away, then maybe YOU need to start lookin at Waveforms!!
bourbonstmc 5:50 PM - 10 December, 2008
Quote:
the beauty of vinyl was by looking at the spirals/grooves in the record I was able to see when the break

Quote:
WAAAAAY back in the day, we used to read the records...

Somebody with a background in natural sciences confirm this: there's a part of your brain that always wants visual cues that confirm the signals you get from your other senses.
mastermind 5:59 PM - 10 December, 2008
looking at the waive forms to see the whole track is well with in acceptance. what I do is totally zoom out so all I see is two waive forms and nothing is moving just the curser. looking for brakes in the waive for is smart and I think it is one of the best features of serato.my point is that if you use the moving peaks to help mix then you are cheating!
Swizzle 6:21 PM - 10 December, 2008
lol cheating.

Now this sounds like my old college roommate when I used to Destroy him Madden Football with 1-2 plays that he could never stop.
Swizzle 6:21 PM - 10 December, 2008
lol cheating.

Now this sounds like my old college roommate when I used to Destroy him in Madden Football with 1-2 plays that he could never stop.
Swizzle 6:27 PM - 10 December, 2008
my bad for the double post..

It's like being mad at a Newbie because he has access to the same Digital Record Pool as you. What's the point?

If you and a newbie were given the exact same 30 songs to spin a quick set...You better Show Your Experience IMO!
DJ Michael Basic 6:27 PM - 10 December, 2008
Uh oh...I hope the crowd I'm rocking or the promoter that books me doesn't catch me "cheating!" I'll never get booked again!
Joshua Carl 6:39 PM - 10 December, 2008
Ive ousted cheating djs before...
in the days of playing pre-mixed cds.
DJ Young Herrera 6:42 PM - 10 December, 2008
Aside from DJing with pre-mixed CDs or passing off other DJs mixes as your own; I would like for you to define how a DJ can "cheat".
DJ Michael Basic 6:42 PM - 10 December, 2008
And I suppose looking at the waveforms is on par with playing a pre-mixed cd now?
DJ Young Herrera 6:45 PM - 10 December, 2008
Calling Safdsre, please settle this dispute.
Safdsre 6:52 PM - 10 December, 2008
The waveforms make my live mash ups that much better. They're a tool and nothing more. You cannot rely on them 100%. In order to achieve greatness, you must let your inner-self define the moment; Not the waveforms.
DJ Young Herrera 6:55 PM - 10 December, 2008
Amazing! Simply amazing.
Joshua Carl 8:23 PM - 10 December, 2008
after re-reading this...

i think the consensus is:

eyes never leaving the screen: bonehead noob move.
(why on earth would you do this anyways....?)

glancing at the waveform to check progress and status:
Smart move, simular to glancing at the pressing markers on vinyl

not looking at all:
how would you pull this off? you have to load tracks.
but a salty old vinyl whore who trusts his ears over a waveform
(not ALWAYS a good thing)
CMOS 9:00 PM - 10 December, 2008
Know what i hear in this thread. A whole lot of WAHHHHHHHHHH!.

In my day we didnt have waveforms.

In my day we walked to school.

These kids have it easy.

You kids are lazy.

Thats not the way we did it.

If you guys were up and coming DJ's you would learn with the screen like ppl are today. Its another tool to use. I think a lot of you are jealous that technology has made it easier to learn this craft, and display your 'keeping it real' status to try to set you apart. All it really does is make you seem old and cranky.

I thought the end result was the music? If it sounds good who gives a fuck how they learned, what they are using, or what they are looking at to get that result.
mastermind 11:41 PM - 10 December, 2008
kids come down.... Its all good!!
be who your going to be and thats it. Why can we all just get along? Waves or no waves, we all love music, my opinion is just that an opinion!
Mr. Goodkat 11:57 PM - 10 December, 2008
its just using your sense of sight. most humans use as many senses as they can to analyze situations. With records or cds, you only use a sense of hearing, with serato you can use hearing or sight to clue in mixes. Using both is going to be more accurate, because you are using two senses rather than one. I've tried using no headphones and only using the visual cues, and they are not going to be perfectly accurate every time. SImilarly, i've djed without good monitoring, which can throw my using only hearing off, because of the lag of sound from the house system to the booth. Using both just makes sense.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:21 AM - 11 December, 2008
Here's one more thing I want to add since this topic is on the hotlist today.

I've said this before - Serato and DVS is NOT going to go away.

In my humble opinion, learning the traditional way of spinning vinyl may actually be a waste to a n00b, although out of respect to the art of DJ-ing it is something that should be learned.

Back in the stone ages when I started spinning, we didn't have fancy mixers with Echo and Phase/Flange effects. You took copies of the same Record and made them Flange or Phase just like you took those same doubles and did echos.

Are these new effect filled mixers cheating or using Technology to get the job done?

Same thing with Waveform watching - part of the tool to get the job done.
IMAGEone 2:05 AM - 11 December, 2008
Damn...using some of these "DJ's" logic I see I've wasted years, $, and time finding every sample and break record I could to sample loop and create music:( I guess Hip Hop is "cheating" cuz we all barrowed from someone to make it. We all learned from someone who knew what was up b4 we did. This is tuff "logic" to follow...it just walks you in a big circle:(

This thread reminds me of, Crazy Legs, mouthing off to other bboys about respect cuz they where better than him, knew thier roots, and are taking over the bboy scene. He had nothing bad to say except "you gotta keep it real and know your history". They did, he was just pissed cuz he could do power moves or hit the freezes.

In my opinion knowing your history is "a must" for any craft or artform, but if you hate on progress you become history and that just leaves you complaing about people who are more advanced then you because they kepp moving forward.

I'ma just do me and learn all that I can while using all the tools I've picked up along the way...

P.S. shit I just caught myself staring at the word "wave" in a previous post...is that cheating?
IMAGEone 2:07 AM - 11 December, 2008
Oops meant he "couldn't do power moves and hit the freezes"
a DJ 4:16 AM - 11 December, 2008
Its better not to rely on them because it opens up your opportunities to do more while DJing. You can scratch more or focus on volume/EQ more when you're not looking at the screen trying to beatmatch. You can beatmatch while adjusting/doing other things if you dont use the screen. And of course with CDs and vinyl you cant use a screen, so overall its just better to learn by ear and not use the waveforms so that your ear stays sharp.
mastermind 4:55 AM - 11 December, 2008
ok. dont get soft on me people. make a stand. one way or another. you do or do not!
R-Tistic 4:58 AM - 11 December, 2008
^Is it that serious? LMAO
mastermind 4:59 AM - 11 December, 2008
oh....one more thing!! If people like me are stuck in the past why on earth would i buy serato, a computer???? Im not stck in the past homeboy!!!!! i just know whats wack and whats not. dont lie to yourself!
Milesy303 10:17 AM - 11 December, 2008
a DJ - We are not talking about using the waveforms for beat matching - I think you would be hard pushed to find any ex-vinyl who does not look at the groove structure of a record for visual clues - this is the only thing I use the waveforms for - so I can say... hey there is a breakdown coming up in a minute, so no point in starting a long mix then - I will wait till after the breakdown.
djchrischip 11:26 AM - 11 December, 2008
NO they were referring to the people who stare in a trance like state at their screen hoping to visually beat match 2 records.
DPR250R 1:17 PM - 11 December, 2008
I'm so cool I keep my laptop closed all night when using SL... no really... I do...
DVDjHardy 1:17 PM - 11 December, 2008
Ice cold!
DJ Young Herrera 2:13 PM - 11 December, 2008
I put gaffers tape on my laptop screen over my wave-forms so I can keep it real in the club. Plus, it lowers the amount of light that shines on my face. I don't want people having too easy a time seeing how really ridiculously good looking I am.
sixxx 2:17 PM - 11 December, 2008
lol
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:33 PM - 12 December, 2008
I wear my Gucci Sunglasses when i'm looking at my screen.. That way i look cool ;-)
DJ Structure 6:34 PM - 12 December, 2008
MBasic... here's an idea from us vets to these new age DJs... let's take away the Serato and everything they rely on digital and open our garages and storage units stacked to the ceiling with vinyl and see how they compare then!

Of course they want to talk so much game but when it comes time to put up or shut up - I'm sure you can guess the outcome already.

Most of these kids have never touched a 12" besides a control record. (I'm sure someone will have fun quoting this one)

As others have said - stop worrying so much about other DJs - start worrying about yourself and why you have so much time to sit on here and cry when you should be outside of your bedroom DJing... or can you??
DJ Michael Basic 7:08 PM - 12 December, 2008
Quote:
MBasic... here's an idea from us vets to these new age DJs... let's take away the Serato and everything they rely on digital and open our garages and storage units stacked to the ceiling with vinyl and see how they compare then!

Who the fuck cares how they do? If they learned on serato, and they can rock a crowd on serato, what's the difference? I know guys who never played a real piece of vinyl in their lives who could DESTROY most "vets" on mixing, scratching, song selection, etc. The only people who want to "take away the serato" and "compare" are the "vets" who are so worried about the new jacks looking at the screen. It's obvious that such a comparison is desired because the "vets" feel threatened. Too fucking bad. Instead of trying to stop people from looking at their screens, just step your own game up.

Quote:
Of course they want to talk so much game but when it comes time to put up or shut up - I'm sure you can guess the outcome already.

Most of these kids have never touched a 12" besides a control record. (I'm sure someone will have fun quoting this one)

I think you'd be surprised at the "outcome." A lot of these "vets" have no clue about even moderate levels of musical theory, which means that some "new jacks" could mix circles around them when it comes to mixing in key, blending tracks that actually complement each other rather than just having the same BPM, complex scratching with regard to beat structure, etc.

Quote:
As others have said - stop worrying so much about other DJs - start worrying about yourself and why you have so much time to sit on here and cry when you should be outside of your bedroom DJing... or can you??

I assume since you named me at the beginning of this post, this was directed at me? I DJ for a living. I don't have a day job. I dunno if I should be outside my bedroom or not, but I assume I'm doing ok since I'm in the process of building a very large house in a great neighborhood in West Los Angeles. I live on DJ money, so I must be doing something right. Lots of guys on this board have heard me play out, I've posted mixes for review and critique, and I'd put my mixing skills up against anybody, vet or otherwise.

This post really wasn't about me in the first place. I look at the waveforms when I want, I don't "need to." I have no problem mixing in a piece of vinyl to switch laptops, and I have no problem rocking a crowd of 10 or 10,000.

The point of this post is that I've seen and heard a lot of "vets" badmouthing DJs who often times are miles better than them for looking at the waveforms and not "keeping it real" and "paying their dues." We live in a different world. I don't care whether or not any "vets" want to step on board or get left behind. I just felt like starting a discussion on how pathetic the viewpoint of some is wanting to badmouth the new breed for using the tools available to them.
sixxx 7:15 PM - 12 December, 2008
MB is lying.... he isn't living of DJ money alone. Your karaoke business isn't a DJ business.

*runs and hides*

----

Btw, some of this and some of that. Of course, there's always gonna be an exception. A new jack who is better than a vet. All in all, you need to step your game up whether u learned mixing on serato or cassette decks.
DJ Michael Basic 7:16 PM - 12 December, 2008
For the past 3 years DJ money vs. Karaoke money has been 70%/30% DJ money...and I could live on either one;)
sixxx 7:17 PM - 12 December, 2008
Btw, when teaching my girl or anyone for that matter, I don't want them looking at the waveforms because I need them to learn to use their ears. That is the most essential sense of a dj.
DJ Structure 7:34 PM - 12 December, 2008
I wasn't coming at you MB... obviously I feel strongly about people needing the ability to mix without the waveforms, I love my serato and what it has done for the game. I use the waveforms as well.

I've checked out alot of the mixes you have posted and you definitely bring it everytime. Much respect.
DJ Structure 7:36 PM - 12 December, 2008
and forgot to mention - I'm on board with the tools... I've lived on DJ money alone for 14 years - so I guess we're both doin something right
sixxx 8:05 PM - 12 December, 2008
Yeah. Licking each other's balls. :P
Jesus Christ 8:06 PM - 12 December, 2008
Why does anyone care what anyone else is doing and what they're staring at? Do you! If you can do better than a new jack, then go take his spot. I've been doing this for years. There are a lot of much younger DJ's that are much better than me in many aspects of DJ'ing. I've been around and I've seen and experienced a lot. In my opinion, the ones that are complaining about wavies are the ones that had to wait in line to get in to the club while the "wavie" hustled and is now standing behind the decks.

Live your life... stop worrying about what others are doing.
sixxx 8:12 PM - 12 December, 2008
The savior top the rescue. Lol
Jesus Christ 8:14 PM - 12 December, 2008
I try top do the best I can.
dj_KaSE 8:40 PM - 12 December, 2008
Oh to be a wavie... they deal with the dilemma of either having to focus their eyes on the waveforms and screen constantly, or on a nice set of T&A in the crowd.
djaction 8:48 PM - 12 December, 2008
Honestly the best thing to do is put the laptop behind you, then pick one girl in the crowd. Then stare at her the entire night, maintain a blank expression, do not move, do not smile, do not take your eyes off her (put on a mix cd if you don't want to keep playing the same two songs). If she leaves the bar find another girl and repeat. Please report back here with your findings.
Thundercat 9:12 PM - 12 December, 2008
I see waveforms.

Use every tool at your disposal. I'm "old school" and you betcha I use em.
DJ CON-STRUC 9:38 PM - 12 December, 2008
at this one place i spin at, i hate the dj booth there. so i just set up a table on the floor. that means i have people all around me for the whole night. in that situation i use the waveforms quite a bit cuz the less i use my headphones the better (i dont like having headphones on when there is alot goin' on around me).

i don't feel that i have to prove to anyone that i can beatmatch by ear. iv'e spun vinyl long b4 serato, so if someone wants to call me a wavie, i could care less... it aint gonna stop me from gettin' gigs.
Joshua Carl 10:28 PM - 12 December, 2008
the same arguments were had when remix services became available to anyone...

that was the BIG "cheat" argument before.
Jesus Christ 10:34 PM - 12 December, 2008
Oh... and I've seen DJ IMG spin at Les Deux. He's a wavie and he stares at the screen all night.
sixxx 10:47 PM - 12 December, 2008
Well, some remix services suck ass and make you act like a wanna be dj with fake scratches and everything.

Btw, a lot of newbies love remixes cause they can't mix without extended intros.
Joshua Carl 10:54 PM - 12 December, 2008
Ill never forget the day I watched someone "go through the motions" with the original funkymix of Ice Ice Baby back in the day...
(It was chock FULLLLL of cuts...most say...too many cuts)

I just watched for a minute... then said "Hey, I have that issue too"

he looked like I stuck an ice dildo in his insidey-parts....
sometimes...less IS more
dirtbag filthy 11:05 PM - 12 December, 2008
.....playing the original to ice ice baby isn't soul sucking enough
sixxx 11:10 PM - 12 December, 2008
Lol Joshua Carl
el presidente 11:35 PM - 12 December, 2008
Quote:

he looked like I stuck an ice dildo in his insidey-parts....

classic quote.

here's my two cents. i've been doing this for 17 years now, and i use the monitor fairly often now. usually, its to trigger cue points, loops, etc. but i learned to do it all by ear. i think its weak if a new jack doesn;t bother to learn proper beatmatching by ear, but i'm not gonna bitch and moan and say that the way i learned is the only way. if i felt that way i would still travel with crates of records as opposed to a laptop bag.
dj_KaSE 11:37 PM - 12 December, 2008
Wow, the whole time I read Joshua Carl's post, I thought I was reading a post by Jesus Christ. I need new glasses.
Jesus Christ 11:41 PM - 12 December, 2008
If you know the version of Ice Ice Baby he's talking about, it's much funnier.
dj_KaSE 11:46 PM - 12 December, 2008
*sigh*

Poser DJs...

I recently posted a listing a Craigslist about putting poser DJs on blast. Some of the responses I got were negative ("Stop hating; you're too old school; blah blah blah") but amusing. It's as if some of these dudes think they have a right to be posers.
R-Tistic 11:59 PM - 12 December, 2008
Quote:
at this one place i spin at, i hate the dj booth there. so i just set up a table on the floor. that means i have people all around me for the whole night. in that situation i use the waveforms quite a bit cuz the less i use my headphones the better (i dont like having headphones on when there is alot goin' on around me).

i don't feel that i have to prove to anyone that i can beatmatch by ear. iv'e spun vinyl long b4 serato, so if someone wants to call me a wavie, i could care less... it aint gonna stop me from gettin' gigs.

I feel the same at some spots...it'll be too much going on for me to use the headphones and focus on matching. In this case, I usually check the BPMs, and will test it out for about 8 measures to make sure it matches perfectly.

Sometimes, I feel like damm...I know I can match with vinyl, so should I really have to "prove" anything, especially when nobody's even paying attention to that at most spots? I'm relatively new, so sometimes, I even get the urge to break out vinyls and close the computer for 6-8 songs, just in case somebody "Old School" is there...and this has worked a few times.

It's funny though...people who go to clubs nowadays will see the computer (usually Mac) and not realize that the DJ even has turntables...so they ask "do you use turntables or just that computer program everybody has?" I'll say "well I use turntables with vinyl, but...." and they cut me off and say "SEE! You're a REAL DJ! Everybody else just uses that computer program and does everything on there!"
brady176 1:12 AM - 13 December, 2008
This is a great thread haha. I agree with Basic. I use the waveforms too much and try to get off the habbit, but I also DJ w/ someone who matches by ear. He has to have a monitor blasting in his ear to DJ or he's no good. I feel it provides flexibility. I also realize a crowd doesn't want to see a guy stare at a laptop all night, but would all you 'real dj's' who learned on real vinyl be spinning by ear if serato was around when you learned?
phaeton 1:54 AM - 13 December, 2008
Because of this thread i was purposely not looking at the wave forms last night....and when i did look i was spot on haha..still got it lol.
Its all about what comes out the speakers...i use to think cdj's were uncool when they first came out, but i use them at my residency every week because they dont have tables.
On Tuesdays i play house music with a guy who uses Tracktor, he seems quite arrogant/critical, he plays house and thinks he's the man, but im sure he cant use cdjs OR tables i use internal as well though....but on Wednesday i play hip hop he came in and i was ripping it up on cdj's to a packed crowd haha...maybe i should take the TT's next week lol.
(he even texted me a song to play)
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:57 AM - 13 December, 2008
Look at the Waveforms.. don't look at the waveforms. REally is it that serious. Just rock your crowd and don't trainwreck LOL... Like it has been said before "the only ones who care are the non-working Dj's in the club". Cause i know for fact all Susie Suck'em up cares about is hearing her song played at least once. So, screw it. Use whatever you need to use to get the job done.

Hell I don't see nobody complaining about Sixxx looking at Oranges all night ;-)
Trackfeen 9:36 AM - 13 December, 2008
^^ I was just gonna say that..^^

I'm not a very visual guy so i tend to listen more then i look... but i have been getting in the practice lately due to the fact the monitor i have at my gig is utter shit...
DJ LTIZZZLE 11:35 AM - 13 December, 2008
Ummm I think she's cool and she looks at the waveform ;-)

Watchwww.youtube.com
sixxx 5:36 PM - 13 December, 2008
Quote:
Look at the Waveforms.. don't look at the waveforms. REally is it that serious. Just rock your crowd and don't trainwreck LOL... Like it has been said before "the only ones who care are the non-working Dj's in the club". Cause i know for fact all Susie Suck'em up cares about is hearing her song played at least once. So, screw it. Use whatever you need to use to get the job done.

Hell I don't see nobody complaining about Sixxx looking at my girl's Oranges all night ;-)

Mellons... not oranges. :P
sixxx 5:36 PM - 13 December, 2008
melons... Boo... fail.
DJ C.A.P 6:25 PM - 13 December, 2008
I? got serato before I learned to go by ear... and it sucks..hahhaha

I was djing strictly vinyl (had about 20 records with me) for about 3 months... and then ?I had money for serato!!

So I can go by ear to a certian point but I ALWAYS look back at the screen to make sure I dropped it right...
DJ C.A.P 6:27 PM - 13 December, 2008
^^

with that being said, I can sadly say, that I do not feel comfy rockin vinyl if they are no bpms on the record. I can rock if All the records got bpm,but if they don't I'm hella lost....
djaleksei 9:10 PM - 13 December, 2008
waveforms do make you lazy sometimes, i make a point of mixing by ear whenever i can, other times when i have seconds left to find and mix a new track or if i've had one too many jd & cokes the waveforms really come into their own! :)
Dj CoJo aka YaMixtapeMajesty 7:04 PM - 15 December, 2008
I use everything available..that's why I bought it, not because I can't do it by ear(beatmatching) but because sometimes it's just easier, especially if you CAN do it by ear..lol!! Hell we had a similar argument years ago when we thought the cats that wrote the BPM's on the albums were cheatin' Anytime something comes along to make our jobs easier somebody will have Something to say about keepin it real and all that B/S!! Spin..Get money..Bang chicks..Have fun..:-)
R-Tistic 9:33 PM - 15 December, 2008
LOL...last nite, the DJ wasn't even usin headphones...n it was obvious because a lot of his songs would fall off beat. He was more into the party and females than DJ'n...and after a trainwreck, he got on the mic and said "my fault....ya boy just messed up" because people had halfway stopped dancin.
Logisticalstyles 1:43 AM - 16 December, 2008
If you do it both ways are you bi-mixual?
Joshua Carl 2:17 AM - 16 December, 2008
Quote:
If you do it both ways are you bi-mixual?

nice!... put a TM on that one.
IMAGEone 11:36 AM - 16 December, 2008
Oh, oh, Jesus Christ, just reminded me, I've been tryin to do that old school "wavie" styled greaser look with my hair...anyone know how to do that?
bourbonstmc 4:04 PM - 16 December, 2008
Quote:
Oh, oh, Jesus Christ, just reminded me, I've been tryin to do that old school "wavie" styled greaser look with my hair...anyone know how to do that?

a1061.g.akamai.net
famethrowa 4:46 PM - 16 December, 2008
I've started keeping my laptop down on the table off to the side and my turntables/mixer on top of the cases, though it makes hot cues/etc. a bitch, though I hardly use them anymore.

That and I've started planning my sets, with obvious room for requests/improv if my selections aren't hitting...I barely touch the thing anymore.

BUT...if it's a track I'm unfamiliar with (I go through TONS of new stuff every week), or I'm really riding a blend for an extended period of time, they really help with keeping track of what deck is doing what as someone mentioned earlier.

So yeah, I look on occasion. Big whoop.

Looking at the waveforms > sounding like shit.
Jesus Christ 5:05 PM - 16 December, 2008
Quote:

hotgeneration.files.wordpress.com
Joshua Carl 8:59 PM - 16 December, 2008
I need those pants.
Jesus Christ 9:00 PM - 16 December, 2008
No one needs those pants.
IMAGEone 4:14 AM - 17 December, 2008
hahahahahahaha @ Jesus Christ. I have to do a party with them Friday, I'll ask. I think they use "Salve" (a la Ren and Stimpy)
Hawk 5:10 AM - 17 December, 2008
I never look at the waveforms because I was Dj'ing 18 years before I got Serato just over a year ago and my habit for just listening to the music has continued uninterupted. Also, I've got skillz blasting out of every orifice like cottage cheese.
pdm2000 5:46 AM - 17 December, 2008
I always look at the waveforms because I was DJing 20 years before I got Serato just over 2 years ago and I just discovered that no matter how tight you think your mixes are, they can always be better. With my new super-duper widescreen & the horizontal tempo map wider than this post, I can see if beats are lined up about 2 seconds before they reach the playback head. Especially helpful for all that off-tempo old school that I still play. But then again I don't have the mad skillz, nor do I like cottage cheese.
DJ Young Herrera 2:27 PM - 17 December, 2008
Quote:
hahahahahahaha @ Jesus Christ. I have to do a party with them Friday, I'll ask. I think they use "Salve" (a la Ren and Stimpy)

Yo IMG, have fun hanging with hypercrush. Slap donnie and preston in the face for me and see if you can steal preston's laser-finger glove.

And see if you can get a backshot photo of holly...

Yo Jesus, do you know who is the DJ who is touring with lmfao to their gigs?
DVDjHardy 3:17 PM - 17 December, 2008
Yo, its DJ Skeet Skeet, if I'm not mistaken.
sopranosupasta 4:21 PM - 17 December, 2008
Quote:
But then again I don't have the mad skillz, nor do I like cottage cheese.

The quote of the year right there.
DJ Young Herrera 11:24 PM - 21 December, 2008
viewmorepics.myspace.com

He looks at the waveforms and he has them horizontal...
djbeast 12:15 AM - 22 December, 2008
i like turtles.
DJMark 12:28 AM - 22 December, 2008
I used to sometimes look at the grooves on records for confirmation of when a break/breakdown was coming up...so what's the big deal about doing the same thing with the waveforms on the SSL display? I add a crapload of songs every week, I can't possibly know how they all go the first time I play them...

The waveforms are really not precise enough to "visually beatmatch" perfectly, though they did help me once when I had the booth monitors fail in the middle of a night. I've often heard songs where the screen display looks "perfect", but the mix is not (due to the specific rhythms of the two songs being mixed).

One thing I find the waveforms really helpful with sometimes is pinpointing the exact moment something is happening in the music that works with some lighting change/effect in the place.
Caramac 1:12 PM - 22 December, 2008
I have my computer on a table to the side of me so I have to physically turn to look at it. I did notice when I was in NY that alot of djs have their computer screen right infront of them which is a bit strange.

As for waveforms I do use them just to find the drop on a record like on Ushers Remind Me instead of listening I just wheel the record forward till I see the Snare kick and then mix from there as normal. Other than that I hardly use them.

Although a mate brought some records down to one of my gigs some classic, camron, dru hill, mase type stuff and was handing me records to drop. The first one I mixed in perfectly. I knew the record inside out but was staring at my screen wondering why the circle kept flipping out of control. Lol It took me a while to realise that Serato was having trouble reading the grooves on the real vinyl and that I hadn't broken anything. Lol.
Joshua Carl 3:58 PM - 22 December, 2008
I thought this was about using the waves to beatmatch?
(IE The people that stare at the screen from a foot away while constantly riding the pitch)

I actually tried this the other day.
I couldnt do it if I wanted to, I kept having to use my ears...

old habbits ;)

But i dont know why in this post some overlook the obvious point of looking at the
wav, the same way we look at pressing lines on vinyl.
enough people have said it, its obviously the standard across the board
(though you could argue hiphop singles often aren't pressed this way)
djpuma_gemini 5:24 PM - 22 December, 2008
Try a test, take the head phones off and try to beat match and bring in the next track without them. I honestly think it wouldn't sound that good. I stare at the waveforms. I really try not to. I started with Serato, but I have bought a lot of vinyl to learn the proper way (ears). The waves do help, but I feel like a wavie using them. Yeah technology makes things better, but you still need the basics (no pun) to keep you on point.
Diamond Duckets 4:59 AM - 23 December, 2008
Keep it real people!!! When I get surgery I choose to drink a bottle of whiskey and bite on a leather instead of getting anesthesia.
Caramac 9:04 AM - 23 December, 2008
Quote:
Keep it real people!!! When I get surgery I choose to drink a bottle of whiskey and bite on a leather instead of getting anesthesia.

Lol U DA MAN!
shiestO! 5:52 PM - 23 December, 2008
i learned with vinyl, but beatmatching with serato can be done even smoother by using your ears AND eyes.

that's how i see it, but it does suck to be staring at the screen all night.
2FAST4U 5:20 AM - 28 December, 2008
look at the wavies or look at my ass cause ill always be 2fast4u
E-Double 5:40 AM - 28 December, 2008
Quote:

It's actually DJ Air. Skeet Skeet is touring with Shwayze.
DVDjHardy 8:38 AM - 28 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

It's actually DJ Air. Skeet Skeet is touring with Shwayze.

Yeah, I told him that a while back...I was confused. Thanks though, didn't now who was their actual DJ.
smutek 3:20 PM - 28 December, 2008
Who cares about wave forms one way or the other.

If the party is rocking I could care less if the DJ is using serato, or ableton, or traktor, or vinyl, or fisher price "my first turntable".

Nobody really cares, except you, because it's really not about you.

It's about the party.

Pretentious pricks so many DJ's are. Worse than musicians sometimes.
Jesus Christ 8:33 PM - 28 December, 2008
Quote:

Yoda? Is that you?
Discobee 1:09 AM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:

So true!
sixxx 3:46 AM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Yoda? Is that you?

lol
djpuma_gemini 4:06 AM - 29 December, 2008
Waveforms looking at good yes umm hummm.
ekwipt 5:24 AM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:
i learned with vinyl, but beatmatching with serato can be done even smoother by using your ears AND eyes.

A quick glance always helps imo...
andrew b 5:38 AM - 29 December, 2008
i skippped down to the bottom, anyways, i alwyas look at at the screen, usually about 75% of *mixing time*, my hearing is getting bad these days, and i beleive serato is there to help you. why not take advantage? its like using a cell phone, but not the text message feature. why cripple yourself when you can do a better job with the programs features? and yes, i am not as skilled of a dj as others. sorry. so i will continue to use the feature that helps me as a dj, and i believe that its every djs choice to do whatever helps them play better. so don't believe the hype!
sixxx 6:03 AM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:
i skippped down to the bottom, anyways, i alwyas look at at the screen, usually about 75% of *mixing time*, my hearing is getting bad these days, and i beleive serato is there to help you. why not take advantage? its like using a cell phone, but not the text message feature. why cripple yourself when you can do a better job with the programs features? and yes, i am not as skilled of a dj as others. sorry. so i will continue to use the feature that helps me as a dj, and i believe that its every djs choice to do whatever helps them play better. so don't believe the hype!

You better take care of that hearing of yours or you will regret it. You're very young to be having hearing issues.
a DJ 6:16 AM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:

It actually helps you to mix without looking at the screen. That way you can rock CDs or vinyl if you have to. You can also concentrate on other things, like reading the crowd, if you dont have look at the screen.
DJ Schematic 9:33 AM - 29 December, 2008
Yeah, i mean look at this idiot. He can't keep his eyes off the screen! He must not know what he's doing.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

lol jk
Swizzle 11:10 AM - 29 December, 2008
So should we be concerned about those using headphones and looking at the waveforms and still cant beat match?
Thundercat 5:51 PM - 29 December, 2008
Quote:
So should we be concerned about those using headphones and looking at the waveforms and still cant beat match?

Yes
djrenrock 8:40 PM - 29 December, 2008
Nor does djing without headphones make one a better dj...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 29 December, 2008
I think its all cheating, not only waveforms but cd players AND turntables, when i do a show i usually have 2 full live bands set up and I use my conductors wand to control the tempo of the band playing, all live instraments and all by ear. We do a mean Bach\Beethoven live mashup!!
djpuma_gemini 8:56 PM - 29 December, 2008
^good one.

I glance also, I hate when I'm stuck looking for a song and I'll stare for like 30 seconds trying to find the right tune to drop. Fuckin newbie for ya I guess.

Prepare window is your friend.
a DJ 7:49 AM - 30 December, 2008
How do you use the prepare window? Do you just drag any song you might wanna play soon? I dont really see how it helps. I do it with vinyl, but with Serato it's so easy to find songs.
Caramac 8:53 AM - 30 December, 2008
Quote:
I think its all cheating, not only waveforms but cd players AND turntables, when i do a show i usually have 2 full live bands set up and I use my conductors wand to control the tempo of the band playing, all live instraments and all by ear. We do a mean Bach\Beethoven live mashup!!

You wavie!!!

I use my special mind powers and mix the two songs that are in your head at that time perfectly giving the clubber the ultimate mix tailor made to their wants and needs.
Dj_KaGeN 8:55 AM - 30 December, 2008
ipod all the way.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:30 PM - 30 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

You wavie!!!

I use my special mind powers and mix the two songs that are in your head at that time perfectly giving the clubber the ultimate mix tailor made to their wants and needs.

I tried that and it worked great until this hot blonde came into the booth to give a request and the whole club heard what was goin on in my head....def wasnt music anymore
Caramac 2:40 PM - 30 December, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You wavie!!!

I tried that and it worked great until this hot blonde came into the booth to give a request and the whole club heard what was goin on in my head....def wasnt music anymore

FLOL!!!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:17 PM - 30 December, 2008
Quote:
How do you use the prepare window? Do you just drag any song you might wanna play soon? I dont really see how it helps. I do it with vinyl, but with Serato it's so easy to find songs.

Remember how you used to pull a Record up and cock it (no homo) to the side so you wouldn't forget to play it - prepare Window is the digital equivalent.

Also helps when you are quick mixing, drop your next 5 songs in there, leave it open and knock them off one by one - they go away once you load them unlike searching your full Library.
WuaKeeN 7:57 PM - 30 December, 2008
Great thread. I purchased Serato about 8 months ago. I am a vinyl junkie since 83'. Anyhow, I have to admit I love this thing. Being able to use my 1200's along with not lugging my crates of vinyl, friggin great tool. Just wish I would have done this sooner. I know some DJs that are so good with Serato they create remixes on the fly. This is a lot tougher to do just with vinyl. As others here have commented, I agree, do not stare too long at the screen or the wave forms, just looks silly. Its definitely not cheating though. If you are not familiar with Serato looking at the wave forms would do you no good anyway. I just use the wave forms as I used to use the grooves in my records, just good indicators of the upcoming breaks & such. Man, I even use the comment sections at times to makes notes of break points & such. I know I should not use this but I only use Serato in Absolute mode. I still have not learned how to create cue points & such. By choice only though. I will start to use in Relative mode as soon as I can...
Jesus Christ 8:09 PM - 30 December, 2008
WuaKeeN, get started on setting cuepoints and get used to using Relative mode as soon as you can. The benefits are huge. I'm a late convert to Serato as well. I was lugging huge crates of records around till 2006 and have made a full transition to Serato. Relative mode is your friend. Cuepoints, loops, etc. Tons of benefits.
blacktop 8:12 PM - 30 December, 2008
hey man I think its good to master every aspect of it in every mode because you never know when your going to need it.
WuaKeeN 8:12 PM - 30 December, 2008
Quote:
WuaKeeN, get started on setting cuepoints and get used to using Relative mode as soon as you can. The benefits are huge. I'm a late convert to Serato as well. I was lugging huge crates of records around till 2006 and have made a full transition to Serato. Relative mode is your friend. Cuepoints, loops, etc. Tons of benefits.

I know JC, my buddy told me the same thing. It's just that I am so used to dropping the needle at the beginning of the record as you would a regular vinyl track that I have just not bothered to learn. The other benefit is not wearing out the beginning of the CV used as well. I really need to learn Serato in Relative mode. I am sure there are a bunch of tips & tricks here that I need to search for...
bourbonstmc 8:23 PM - 30 December, 2008
Wuakeen: the offline player is great for setting cue points & loops. A little prep time pays big dividends when you step up to REL mode. And you can always play in REL but quickly switch over to INT to set a cue point, then switch back.
Jesus Christ 8:55 PM - 30 December, 2008
Bourbon, I can set cue points in Relative mode. Just hold the record where you want to set the cuepoint and hit Command/Control + 1-5 or 6-0 depending on which side you want to set the cue on. I set cues on the fly all the time.
Discobee 1:32 AM - 31 December, 2008
Yo Wuakeem, in relative mode you can still needle drop as if it's Abs mode. There is an option in the Setup screen that will allow you to do that. Best of both worlds!
IMAGEone 4:58 AM - 31 December, 2008
It's like a finger pointing the way to the moon...SMACK! Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Sorry, I just watched some Bruce Lee movies (:

See guys it's like scratchlive is the cup and we have to be like water. That way we can truly use are full potential. it's ok to look into the cup, just don't stare at the ripples/waves in the water for to long or Bruce Lee will smack you across the face!

Damn! I dated myself on that one:(
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:35 AM - 31 December, 2008
Quote:
It's like a finger pointing the way to the moon...SMACK! Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Sorry, I just watched some Bruce Lee movies (:

See guys it's like scratchlive is the cup and we have to be like water. That way we can truly use are full potential. it's ok to look into the cup, just don't stare at the ripples/waves in the water for to long or Bruce Lee will smack you across the face!

Damn! I dated myself on that one:(

And dont use the handle of the cup either, thats just there for people who dont want to put in the practice to drink correctly
DJ LTIZZZLE 1:16 AM - 5 January, 2009
Zune = ftw
Zon 1:40 AM - 24 March, 2010
Serato DJs:
------------------
I'm a beginning DJ. I don't own my own turntables, just a serato box that I bring to the clubs that I'm now DJing at. I'm not afraid to say that I use the waveforms for beatmatching. Does it make me a criminal? Am I not playing the right record, at the right time, to the right crowd? Yeah, with time (and money) I'll be able to learn how to fully mix just by ear-- but till then, shouldn't I use the technology THAT I PAID FOR? I mean really... technology is supposed to make things easier, not make people complain.

Are you not a real mathematician if you use a calculator?
Can you not "really drive" if you have an Automatic transmission?
Are you not a real producer if you use synth drums?

Honestly, if you can Beatmatch by ear, power to you, you're better for it. But don't judge me as an ENTERTAINER because I came along when it was a little easier to play music.
DjWoody 2:14 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Serato DJs:
------------------
I'm a beginning DJ. I don't own my own turntables, just a serato box that I bring to the clubs that I'm now DJing at. I'm not afraid to say that I use the waveforms for beatmatching. Does it make me a criminal? Am I not playing the right record, at the right time, to the right crowd? Yeah, with time (and money) I'll be able to learn how to fully mix just by ear-- but till then, shouldn't I use the technology THAT I PAID FOR? I mean really... technology is supposed to make things easier, not make people complain.

Honestly, if you can Beatmatch by ear, power to you, you're better for it. But don't judge me as an ENTERTAINER because I came along when it was a little easier to play music.

Whoa! Nice one!
L2daGee 2:44 AM - 24 March, 2010
"Not looking at the waveforms does not make you a cool guy or a better DJ."

It does make you a better DJ, because it trains you to beatmatch by ear.

I was at a gig with another DJ. We had two different setups and we were trading of every four to six songs. I would simply mix into his last song by ear, since he was across the stage and I could not see his laptop. When I got to my last song and it was time for him to mix in, he would always ask me what my bpm is at.

Good thing I learned how to DJ before the days of CDJ's or ScratchLive-type software. Just two Technics and several crates or vinyl. No laptop to stare at.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:25 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
It does make you a better DJ, because it trains you to beatmatch by ear.

Why bother????

With waveforms now and when Serato FINALLY adds Automix in SSL 2.5 - mixing by ear will no longer be necessary and DJs can REALLY begin to be creative!!!!!!

(runs and hides)
Doctorjon 3:45 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
I was at a gig with another DJ. We had two different setups and we were trading of every four to six songs. I would simply mix into his last song by ear, since he was across the stage and I could not see his laptop. When I got to my last song and it was time for him to mix in, he would always ask me what my bpm is at.

I like that, Mixing without knowing any BPM is brilliant.
DJ Young Herrera 3:54 AM - 24 March, 2010
Not looking at the waveforms does not get you more gigs, does not get you more money, and does not get you more hoes.

I'm tired of this pouty fucking nonsense: "But that dj looks at the waveforms!", "Johnny is a wavie and he took my gig!", "DJ Douche Bag has all the hoes and he looks at the wave forms and he wears ed hardy and he is really buff and he has a blowout haircut, but I keep it real and no one will book me! Waaahhhhhhhhh!"

Shut the fuck up about it and step your game up.

I'm out this bitch.
DjWoody 3:56 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Not looking at the waveforms does not get you more gigs, does not get you more money, and does not get you more hoes.

I'm tired of this pouty fucking nonsense: "But that dj looks at the waveforms!", "Johnny is a wavie and he took my gig!", "DJ Douche Bag has all the hoes and he looks at the wave forms and he wears ed hardy and he is really buff and he has a blowout haircut, but I keep it real and no one will book me! Waaahhhhhhhhh!"

I'm out this bitch.

+1,000,000
eder 3:57 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:

I'm out this bitch.

+1, but when some new jack comes on here boasting about him bastardizing the art of DJing, it hits deep in the soul.
DJWALDO 4:09 AM - 24 March, 2010
LOL this is djing to the general public....

Watchwww.youtube.com

bitching about people on a forum....

get a grip...
Dj_Dropz_ 4:38 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

get a grip...

Watchwww.youtube.com
this guy and pauly d are going on tour together this summer... lol...
O.B.1 5:03 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:

holy $#!+
that was funny on so many different levels!
Doctorjon 5:12 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:

get a grip...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I just can't believe no one has told him he is terrible.
Dj_Dropz_ 5:25 AM - 24 March, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com
pauly d will be djing for this guy this summer aswell!! damn pauly has some tough gigs lined up... LOL
DJ Prinvale` 5:37 AM - 24 March, 2010
Doctorjon 6:05 AM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
pauly d will be djing for this guy this summer aswell!! damn pauly has some tough gigs lined up... LOL

^^ Is he for real?
Turn Table Tennis 5:34 PM - 24 March, 2010

lol
Dj Nyce 5:41 PM - 24 March, 2010
yeah big ups to the pre-2000 djs. no waveform, just wax and headphones.
Dj Nyce 5:41 PM - 24 March, 2010
and sometimes nickels and dimes if you had them cheap needles.
Swizzle 5:46 PM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

^^ Is he for real?

i think it's a video to the Judge, to get his kids back?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:48 PM - 24 March, 2010
Quote:
and sometimes nickels and dimes if you had them cheap needles.

ya i woudl need to get high to deal with cheap needles too
O.B.1 11:10 PM - 24 March, 2010
a nickel weighs five grams (it really does)

(killer deal)

back on topic -it really does!~
howcome 11:53 PM - 24 March, 2010
I was in car show battle back in the day at a Rodney Joe Cooley concert. When it was my turn I turned to the dudes in charge and asked for a dime. He put it out over the system and I was pelted with dimes from the crowd. It was cool because the crowd picked me as the winner. I should of collected all of the dimes and had someone old enough buy me some beer.
Dj Corleone508 6:09 AM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
I go back and forth...I start with my ears then after a few seconds I just use the waves for confirmation that I am on beat. Most of the time I am pretty on point right when I drop it and only need to give it a slight push or a pitch increase/decrease...

waves for me are more of a 2nd level of accurateness then anything.

+1
DJ DennisJ 8:29 AM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

Now, should people be able to mix without them? Sure. Anytime I switch laptops with another DJ, I mix in a vinyl. Should I be trainwrecking that vinyl? Of course not. That having been said, I know I can mix without the waveforms, that doesn't meet I feel the need to to make myself look better to a bunch of DJs.

If you use waveforms but you have the skill to mix by ear, then cool. If you use the waveforms because you can't mix without them, then you're wack. That's bottom line.

Now if you use the waveforms because you're wack but when you're home you are practicing to learn to mix without them, then good for you. But you're still currently wack, you just know it and want to be better and I have all respect for that.

Can you still make a crowd dance all night? Sure, but that doesn't make you not wack as a DJ, just as an entertainer. Big difference.

Of course, the way things are going, pretty soon the music entertainment scene will be mostly entertainers, with few real DJs. But that's progress, I guess.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:26 PM - 25 March, 2010
I see music going to way wrestling did, you started off with a real greko roman style compitiion, then you had WWF which was suspsected to be fake but they would never admit to it, then they pushed the antics so far that the fact that they were fake didnt really matter, then by that point they came out and said it wasnt real but it was already so ingrained into the youth that it didnt matter. Now kids bitch about the olympics being wack because HHH and The undertaker arent involved and there arent any ropes to jump off
RogerRabbit 2:32 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

You are right. Times have changed, it's not the 80's or 90's. It's 2010. The dj glory days are over; everyone and there brother is a dj today. Get over it!
Anyone using ssl and still bitching about dj's using waveforms should just go back to strictly viynls and stfu. And bet half off the people who talk about waveforms will not primarly use the "no waveform" library view in 2.0.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:46 PM - 25 March, 2010
i use the no waveform view but it has less to do with "being real" and more to do with the tons of extra screen realistate it opens up to let me see the song window, my being able to beatmatch by ear opens up the doors to see more tracks at one time which makes my search for the next track easier
RogerRabbit 3:31 PM - 25 March, 2010
I still use the regular view because have nothing to prove and I like to see were my cue/loop points are. But the "no waveform" view is great becuase it sharpens your skill/muscle memory - for example stuff like backspining to a specific point - I am usually on point in the no waveform view but the regular view gets me lazy because I end up checking the screen to see if I am in the right spot.
KYLE SMILE 3:49 PM - 25 March, 2010
I think it's brilliant that i can now mix just using the waveforms, saves my ears from constant bashing 5hr gigs a night.
Evon 4:44 PM - 25 March, 2010
What if you have a computercrash and have to mix by ear the few cds you brought with you as backup?
RogerRabbit 5:11 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
What if you have a computercrash and have to mix by ear the few cds you brought with you as backup?

If you can't beatmatch there is always slam mixing. Or the "mr cee techique" if your mic game is nice.
Dj Nyce 5:45 PM - 25 March, 2010
i use horizontal view, because i like to see my cue point and loops. i'm music factory and beat steet kid, so of course i can mix by ear.
sixxx 7:10 PM - 25 March, 2010
This right here is the truth:

Quote:
If you use waveforms but you have the skill to mix by ear, then cool. If you use the waveforms because you can't mix without them, then you're wack. That's bottom line.

Now if you use the waveforms because you're wack but when you're home you are practicing to learn to mix without them, then good for you. But you're still currently wack, you just know it and want to be better and I have all respect for that.

Can you still make a crowd dance all night? Sure, but that doesn't make you not wack as a DJ, just as an entertainer. Big difference.

Of course, the way things are going, pretty soon the music entertainment scene will be mostly entertainers, with few real DJs. But that's progress, I guess.

And this right here, 99% of the time comes from people with no real DJ skills.

Quote:
You are right. Times have changed, it's not the 80's or 90's. It's 2010. The dj glory days are over; everyone and there brother is a dj today. Get over it!
Anyone using ssl and still bitching about dj's using waveforms should just go back to strictly viynls and stfu. And bet half off the people who talk about waveforms will not primarly use the "no waveform" library view in 2.0.

Just to clarify, I don't think it's the use of waveforms that people bitch about but the combination of that and no skills. None of these tools should be a crutch to you. Should they help you? Sure. Should you be able to mix without these tools? Absolutely. Otherwise, you're really better off buying a $10 dollar CD player or an iPod and forget about mixing altogether.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:29 PM - 25 March, 2010
if you throw down a perfectly matched mix but have no idea how many people are dancing to it because you are glued to the wave forms you wickiy wicky WAK
sixxx 7:32 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
if you throw down a perfectly matched mix but have no idea how many people are dancing to it because you are glued to the wave forms you wickiy wicky WAK

That's another true statement. I also think that it doesn't matter if you're looking at waveforms or not, you should always be watching/keeping an eye on your dance floor/crowd.
Dj_Dropz_ 7:37 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

That's another true statement. I also think that it doesn't matter if you're looking at waveforms or not, you should always be watching/keeping an eye on your dance floor/crowd.

but itsnt that your job as a dj? i think u shouldnt be a dj if you cant get those 2 things right imo... to this day i have NEVER seen a dj completely ignore the dancefloor... that will be a weird ass day if i get to see it... haha
Dj.Mojo 7:38 PM - 25 March, 2010
I love the new feature!

I only press the space bar and the library extends wich is really, really nice on 13" MBs.
Secondly, this might be only me, but I don´t connect with the crowd as well when I focus on the waveform. I don´t really feel the vibe which I am supposed to create and feel like I am in a "mixing tunnel". The crowd notices that, too.
Sounds weird but I am sure some people know what I am talking about.
DJ DennisJ 7:40 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

Quote:
I only press the space bar and the library extends wich is really, really nice on 13" MBs.
Secondly, this might be only me, but I don´t connect with the crowd as well when I focus on the waveform. I don´t really feel the vibe which I am supposed to create and feel like I am in a "mixing tunnel". The crowd notices that, too.

Yep, that's the whole reason why I didn't go with the coffin with the laptop slider in the middle of it when I spec'd out new stuff for my mobile gigs... I designed my setup to connect with the crowd so I use the M-laptop stand with the two clamps and position it in one of the corners, giving me full view of the dance floor.
Dj_Dropz_ 7:45 PM - 25 March, 2010
Yep, that's the whole reason why I didn't go with the coffin with the laptop slider in the middle of it when I spec'd out new stuff for my mobile gigs... I designed my setup to connect with the crowd so I use the M-laptop stand with the two clamps and position it in one of the corners, giving me full view of the dance floor.

i have my laptop stand and laptop right infront of me but it doesnt in any way block my field of view with the dancefloor and i still feel just as connected with it... but your setup does give me ideas about how to change my setup everyonce in a while...
DJ DennisJ 7:49 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

I tried to resist it, but I can't help myself-- I have to reply to this obviously ridiculous statement.
If you're use a calculator because you can't do long division on paper, no, you're nowhere near a mathemetician.
The automatic transmission comparison has been beaten to death on other threads because it's no comparison at all. The correct comparison would be "Can you not really shift gears manually" if you have an automatic transmission. The answer would be, "If you don't know how to shift gears manually then no, you can't."
And the producer comparison is ludicrous. Nobody ever said a producer had to use real drums, or even drums at all. It's not even really in the definition of a producer. I can't really even go into more detail on the inability to compare the two because they are just that incomparable.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:49 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
I love the new feature!

ive noticed that i dont stare at the waveforms but i do spend WAAYYY to much time starring at my library looking for the next track, the next thing i need to do is really finetune my crates so that im always looking at a short list of where i want to go and start thinkin 3 or 4 songs ahead instead of going through TONS of songs that i know i wont play to find one i will
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:51 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I tried to resist it, but I can't help myself-- I have to reply to this obviously ridiculous statement.
If you're use a calculator because you can't do long division on paper, no, you're nowhere near a mathemetician.
The automatic transmission comparison has been beaten to death on other threads because it's no comparison at all. The correct comparison would be "Can you not really shift gears manually" if you have an automatic transmission. The answer would be, "If you don't know how to shift gears manually then no, you can't."
And the producer comparison is ludicrous. Nobody ever said a producer had to use real drums, or even drums at all. It's not even really in the definition of a producer. I can't really even go into more detail on the inability to compare the two because they are just that incomparable.

also for the automatic transmission, if you only know how to drive an automatoc you cant drive a bus, a semitruck, a racecar, a tracktor....IE: YOU ARE NOT A PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
DJ DennisJ 7:54 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

i have my laptop stand and laptop right infront of me but it doesnt in any way block my field of view with the dancefloor and i still feel just as connected with it... but your setup does give me ideas about how to change my setup everyonce in a while...

Try it out, I'm pretty sure you'll like the change. There's something about having the whole center part open that feels way more connecting. Lots of people like to watch real DJs work, also, and this gives the crowd the ability to see what you're doing with both tables as well as your mixer.
skinnyguy 7:58 PM - 25 March, 2010
aww damn...just when i started to get the hang of it....
Dj Nyce 8:27 PM - 25 March, 2010
love the spacebar feature. and i also co-sign laptop placement to the side. as a dj you def need to be looking at the crowd and the crowd definitely needs to see you.
RogerRabbit 8:48 PM - 25 March, 2010
The core debate about using waveform - is cheating/ using aids/ the ability to beatmatch.
The image of a dj as changed. Growing up it was mainly 2 TT's and a mixer. Just like growing up, you would have to drive a stick, else you were a pussy.
Today the image of a dj is two TTs and a laptop. Has the requirement to dj changed, yes.
I just find it ironic that folks who using a DVS system and uses relative mode, cue points, bmps, loops, instant doubles - still try to convice that they are better(newsflash - it's all the same/ your still cheating).
Dj.Mojo 8:50 PM - 25 March, 2010
This discussion turns out to be just a big loophole
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
The core debate about using waveform - is cheating/ using aids/ the ability to beatmatch.
The image of a dj as changed. Growing up it was mainly 2 TT's and a mixer. Just like growing up, you would have to drive a stick, else you were a pussy.
Today the image of a dj is two TTs and a laptop. Has the requirement to dj changed, yes.
I just find it ironic that folks who using a DVS system and uses relative mode, cue points, bmps, loops, instant doubles - still try to convice that they are better(newsflash - it's all the same/ your still cheating).

captin save-a-wave strikes again
RogerRabbit 8:58 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

You only validate my point when your best response is recycled humor ;)
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:01 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You only validate my point when your best response is recycled humor ;)

if your point is to prove that you just dont "get it" and your not going to change yuopr opinion no matter how many situations are thrown your way showing your not seeing the big picture then yes your right im validating your point by not wasting time trying to enlighten you and just make a joke instead
djdannyd 9:05 PM - 25 March, 2010
wether you look at the waveforms or not, if you're trainwrecking who is going to care if it makes you look cool....
RogerRabbit 9:08 PM - 25 March, 2010
Good, I a becoming a better bezzle-repellent.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:10 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Good, I a becoming a better bezzle-repellent.

nope, i just got a residency now so i dont care about arguing the point any more, fuck it stare at the waveforms all you want, play a mix, hum the shit i dont care im still gonna get paid ;P

Its like having sex for the 1st time, after you do it you stop acting like a like a lil dueche and start focusing on bein cool and getting laid again
sixxx 9:24 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
love the spacebar feature. and i also co-sign laptop placement to the side. as a dj you def need to be looking at the crowd and the crowd definitely needs to see you.

I love the space bar feature as well. However, as far as laptop placement, I could care less if it's in front of me or on the side. I can do both. It doesn't block my view of the dance floor or their view of me either way as I don't have a big ass laptop stand or anything like that.
DJ Michael Basic 9:27 PM - 25 March, 2010
This is an old thread...I made it quite a while ago. I feel that it still holds true, though.

Obviously, if you stare at the screen to the point where you don't look at the crowd at all, you're not doing your job.

If you can't beatmatch by ear you run the risk of encountering a situation where you're forced to beatmatch by ear and it won't sound good.

The point of this thread, however, is that so many DJs on this board will see a youtube clip of someone DJing, and the first thing they'll say is, "Oh he's a wavie look at him look at those waveforms."

You sound like a moron. Plain and simple. If the dude can rock it, he can rock it....if he sounds like shit, he sounds like shit.

Everybody loves DJ Spryte right? He's the DJ's DJ if there ever was one. He's a good friend of mine, and when he DJs, he looks at the waveforms a lot....he could outscratch damn near everyone on this board and I'd recommend him to anybody if they were looking for a party rocker.

Then you had people questioning Vice about juggling with cue points on the mikidz show. Really? You're questioning Vice? For that? You sound so fucking stupid it's unbelievable.

Some of you guys are so self important that you think DJs should have to prove themselves to you. You're nobody...and your feelings on wavies and buttonpushers don't mean shit.

If a DJ can rock a crowd, I don't give a fuck if he uses virtualDJ...but then, I've never seen a DJ on virtualDJ actually rock a crowd.

Let's focus on the substance instead of "keeping it real."

I think anyone who doesn't use the technology that exists to their advantage for the sake of "keeping it real" is "real" retarded...but fuck, if you can rock a crowd while "keeping it real" more power to you...who am I to judge. Nobody.
sixxx 9:29 PM - 25 March, 2010
lol @ If a DJ can rock a crowd, I don't give a fuck if he uses virtualDJ...but then, I've never seen a DJ on virtualDJ actually rock a crowd.

hahahahaha
RogerRabbit 9:37 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:

nope, i just got a residency now so i dont care about arguing the point any more

I am happy for you. I am even happier about the propective of the decline of foolish posts on the forum.

Quote:

Its like having sex for the 1st time, after you do it you stop acting like a like a lil dueche and start focusing on bein cool and getting laid again

I getting pussy was never a problem, so didn't have this issue. *shrugs*
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:43 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

nope, i just got a residency now so i dont care about arguing the point any more

I am happy for you. I am even happier about the propective of the decline of foolish posts on the forum.

Quote:

I getting pussy was never a problem, so didn't have this issue. *shrugs*

everyone had a long period before they got it the 1st time, puberty dont happen soon as you pop out
Wazo 9:54 PM - 25 March, 2010
^^^ my mate dave from langley said he was borned with a massive dong and it poked ze nurse in ze eye and she died.
RogerRabbit 10:02 PM - 25 March, 2010
Haha you waited until puberty to get some... Fortunately/unfortunately I didn't have to wait till puberty.
DjWoody 10:06 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
I think anyone who doesn't use the technology that exists to their advantage for the sake of "keeping it real" is "real" retarded...but fuck, if you can rock a crowd while "keeping it real" more power to you...who am I to judge. Nobody.

LOL, Basic... With that said, are for or against Auto-Sync? hahaha I kid I kid. lol.... or do I? lol jk.
DJ Michael Basic 10:14 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

LOL, Basic... With that said, are for or against Auto-Sync? hahaha I kid I kid. lol.... or do I? lol jk.

I said what I think about auto-sync in the auto-sync thread. To sum up...I have a roommate who started DJing at the same time I did, and up until a few months ago, used virtualdj, then torq, then itch, all with auto-sync. We started Djing literally the same day...he is not a very good DJ.

I think auto-sync is a hindrance rather than a help...people who don't learn the fundamentals of DJing suffer because of it.

I also feel that there are exceptions, and to me, party rocking ability trumps everything else.

If someone starts out with auto-sync and can rock a party, more power to them...I've never heard a DJ...EVER...who learned on auto-sync software and is any good. Never.
sixxx 10:33 PM - 25 March, 2010
Quote:
I think auto-sync is a hindrance rather than a help...people who don't learn the fundamentals of DJing suffer because of it.

I also feel that there are exceptions, and to me, party rocking ability trumps everything else.

If someone starts out with auto-sync and can rock a party, more power to them...I've never heard a DJ...EVER...who learned on auto-sync software and is any good. Never.

excellent points. I agree to the fullest extend of the law.
Wazo 10:42 PM - 25 March, 2010
is this thread still going on?? whens 2.0 coming out? and where Pauly D at????
howcome 10:47 PM - 25 March, 2010
I've heard some Ableton Live dj's who can rock a party. The amount of time they spend warping their tracks is better spent practicing on turntables IMHO.
Swizzle 11:37 PM - 25 March, 2010
lol @ Basic and others.

lol @ Wazo,

Some of you sound like video game nerds who get mad at your childhood friend for using the same move with Guile in Streetfighter 2 to beat you.

"If it's in the game, it's in the game"!
Dj Nyce 12:00 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
lol @ Basic and others.

lol @ Wazo,

Some of you sound like video game nerds who get mad at your childhood friend for using the same move with Guile in Streetfighter 2 to beat you.

"If it's in the game, it's in the game"!

i can't stand cats who throw use ryu to jump kick, low kick, hadouken, shoryuken, tatsumaki senpuu kyaku, repeat. you can't even get a fuckin hit in.
Logisticalstyles 12:17 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
lol @ If a DJ can rock a crowd, I don't give a fuck if he uses virtualDJ...but then, I've never seen a DJ on virtualDJ actually rock a crowd.

hahahahaha

They 'Virtually' rock the crowd... in thier minds.
KYLE SMILE 1:03 AM - 26 March, 2010
It's bollocks that a Virtual DJ user can't rock a crowd. I've seen some brilliant djs use virtual dj. It's cheap and easy and better than serato, just not as stable.
eder 1:26 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:
It's bollocks that a Virtual DJ user can't rock a crowd. I've seen some brilliant djs use virtual dj. It's cheap and easy and better than serato, just not as stable.

links to a vid or it didn't happen
DjWoody 1:45 AM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:

+1... I've seen it too. The old resident at my club used to rock Virtual DJ and he controlled it with the Pioneer MEP7000. He never used auto sync. He is old school and he used it to rock videos. I was actually pretty amazed at the things he was able to do. BTW, not once in the several years that we worked together, did VDJ crashed on him. Not once!
BERTO 1:47 AM - 26 March, 2010
i use the waves mostly to determine where the snare/bassdrop/ silence is with comparison to the stylus, a big part of Djing is studying ur tracks yes, but im sure not everyone knows where every part of every song is, waves also help so you dont have to rewind forward ur vinyl like 2 minutes to find a part of a song it is a tool to find the part you seek. cue points are also awesome, just like parking records with tape/tabs to find the part just digital
BERTO 1:48 AM - 26 March, 2010
marking* records
DJ Michael Basic 4:13 AM - 26 March, 2010
Like I said...I've never seen it.

Clearly, I feel that if I were given virtual DJ, I could rock a crowd with it.

My point is...someone who learns on a program that auto syncs for you, and that's all they ever know...hasn't learned the fundamentals, and therefor will not be as good as someone who has...there are, however, exceptions to every rule.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:05 PM - 26 March, 2010
Quote:

i believe someone on VDJ COULD rock a crowd, with enough practice anything can be used to do an awsome job....the key there though is with enough practice, which is why crutches like autosync tend to produce less than stellar results

I dont see hwo you can say VDJ is better than serato though thats just ludacris (no move bitch)