Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Recording options?

dj_clinton 5:49 AM - 30 September, 2013
Hey Gang,

So, I've been recording video SL sets with ScreenFlow. I don't like it LOL. I find it choppy and super slow to export. I would rather capture my set (in HD) live on my PC. I was thinking maybe Sony Vegas or some other software. How are you guys/gals doing it without recording it on the computer your using?

Cheers,
Clinton
Code:E 6:35 AM - 30 September, 2013
1. use a mac.
2. use Mix Emergency.
3. Hit record

On a PC Screen flow will be
Quote:
t choppy and super slow to export.

Or use a 2nd computer with a capture card. But thats way harder than using ME on a Mac.
dj_clinton 4:06 PM - 30 September, 2013
Hey Code:E,

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, using my PC to capture instead of running ME or ScreenFlow to record on my MBP. Any recommendations on a HD capture card?

Cheers,
Clinton
dj_clinton 4:27 PM - 30 September, 2013
Thinking maybe these 2 products? Anyone have any use with them?

Elgato Game Capture HD (ELG-10025010)
www.futureshop.ca

Blackmagic Intensity Pro
www.ebay.ca
djnak 6:04 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, using my PC to capture instead of running ME or ScreenFlow to record on my MBP. Any recommendations on a HD capture card?

Cheers,
Clinton

YES WHY???? ....screenflow will give you better results than sending the signal to a pc and M.e. will give you amazing results....
Code:E 7:27 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about, using my PC to capture instead of running ME

but why? Me works sooo well.
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Clinton

YES WHY???? ....screenflow will give you better results than sending the signal to a pc and M.e. will give you amazing results....

+100

Quote:
Any recommendations on a HD capture card?

Ya the black magic Thunderbolt HD capture cards. But still not as good as ME on a mac.

Quote:
www.futureshop.ca
Code:E 7:29 PM - 30 September, 2013
oops

Quote:
www.futureshop.ca

Wont work

Quote:
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
www.ebay.ca

Might work, but not perfectly. Again ME still going to work better.
DJ Tecniq 4:04 AM - 1 October, 2013
I record using screenflow off my mac and it's not choppy at all. exporting a vj mix will take awhile anyway.
dj_clinton 3:03 PM - 1 October, 2013
Hrmm ok gang, thanks!
DJ Tecniq 3:14 PM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
Hrmm ok gang, thanks!
If you are recording from the same laptop you use with Video-SL I recommend having atleast 10 or more gigs free on your laptop's internal drive. The more space you have free the better performance your set will record. And if you are really still using VSL i recommend upgraded to Serato Video. If you currently have VSL there's a free upgrade for Serato Video just download it and use the same serial key you used with Video-SL. I had VSL when It first came out and when serato video came out they had a free upgrade to use the software so that's what I did. Good luck. I don't understand why you'd want to use anything different other than Screenflow or ME. Screenflow is the best besides ME.
DJ Tecniq 3:16 PM - 1 October, 2013
Peep some of my video sets. All recorded with Screenflow during my mix session.
vimeo.com
DJ Tecniq 3:18 PM - 1 October, 2013
And if your video mix is coming out choppy then your laptop is probably not up to specs.
dj_clinton 4:27 AM - 3 October, 2013
Thanks Tecniq

My Macbook pro is a 2.8Ghz with 4GB of ram with 75 GB free space. But some videos are coming off a 2TB fireware 800 external. Maybe that's the issue. Interested in mix emergency though after reading there website.

Cheers,
Clinton
Code:E 4:41 AM - 3 October, 2013
Quote:
My Macbook pro is a 2.8Ghz with 4GB of ram with 75 GB free space. But some videos are coming off a 2TB fireware 800 external.

You need more ram, more space on you internal HD free (at least 20% before the size of the video mix), also to move all of the video's you will play in your mix off your firewire HD. All of those things individually or all together could be the issue
Quote:
nterested in mix emergency though after reading there website.

You should :)

Best piece of software I have ever bought.
dj_clinton 4:45 AM - 3 October, 2013
Kool! Cheers!
DJ Tecniq 4:36 PM - 3 October, 2013
Quote:
Kool! Cheers!
forgot the most important thing. may want to increase the gig in serato video's panel. Maybe try running video with 2 gigs. And important software you will need is smcFancontrol which is a free download for mac. When running video it keeps your fans cool that could very well be your issue.
Code:E 5:03 PM - 3 October, 2013
Quote:
forgot the most important thing. may want to increase the gig in serato video's panel. Maybe try running video with 2 gigs.

Don't do this unless you have a 2gb video card... Find out how much video ram you have and change the slider to match or be slightly less.
DJ Tecniq 5:11 PM - 3 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
forgot the most important thing. may want to increase the gig in serato video's panel. Maybe try running video with 2 gigs.

Don't do this unless you have a 2gb video card... Find out how much video ram you have and change the slider to match or be slightly less.
His mbp is 4 gigs as he mentioned above so yes he still has 2 gigs to use. Running video at 2 gigs will run serato video much smoother but will also run the computer harder.
dj_clinton 10:10 PM - 4 October, 2013
Also great info, thank you two!
Code:E 12:05 AM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
His mbp is 4 gigs

4 gb of ram... Facepalm...

The slider in serato video is for the video memory (or video ram) there are completely different. Video memory or ram can NOT EVER be upgraded or changed.
DJ Tecniq 12:10 AM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
His mbp is 4 gigs

4 gb of ram... Facepalm...

The slider in serato video is for the video memory (or video ram) there are completely different. Video memory or ram can NOT EVER be upgraded or changed.
How is it different if the video memory slider in serato video is for being used from the mac?
DJ Tecniq 12:10 AM - 5 October, 2013
Or did you think serato video has memory in the program lol?
DJ Tecniq 12:12 AM - 5 October, 2013
So you mean to tell me the video slider in the program has nothing to do with the mac using the computers memory?
Code:E 12:14 AM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
So you mean to tell me the video slider in the program has nothing to do with the mac using the computers memory?

it has nothing todo with the RAM in the computer.

It has everything to do with the Video Memory the video card has installed in it.
Code:E 12:36 AM - 5 October, 2013
just so we are all on the same page you are talking about his correct?
fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net

That 200mb- 2gb setting has ZERO to do with a computers ram and everything to do with a computers internal dedicated video card and how much video memory is reserved for Serato video.
DJ DisGrace 1:12 AM - 5 October, 2013
Quote:
just so we are all on the same page you are talking about his correct?
fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net

That 200mb- 2gb setting has ZERO to do with a computers ram and everything to do with a computers internal dedicated video card and how much video memory is reserved for Serato video.

Hmmm.... If I remember correctly the official original Serato recommendation was to set it at around 1GB. This was back when a 512MB video card was considered powerful.
DJ DisGrace 1:14 AM - 5 October, 2013
Yea, video buffer is for RAM, not video card memory
serato.com
DJ Tecniq 5:46 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:
serato.com
Thank You :) I have ran the buffer at just 1 gig and it runs fine but not as smooth. running at 2 seems more stable. I always thought it used system memory
Code:E 3:41 AM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
serato.com

Not that nyce isnt a really smart dude, and normally would take his word on anything. But in many posts from the serato mods they make it seem like it is the video buffer.
Code:E 3:45 AM - 7 October, 2013
I would love a serato mod to make that confirmation. I could be wrong though.
DJ DisGrace 3:49 AM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
I would love a serato mod to make that confirmation. I could be wrong though.

Page 22 of the manual serato.com
"Buffer Size
This setting determines how much system RAM to set aside for Serato Video buffering."
Code:E 4:15 AM - 7 October, 2013
And I am wrong.... I think the Serato mods have been giving bad advice. They always ask how much video ram you have before suggesting what setting the buffer should be set at. And they always make the relation that, thats what it is.
DJ Tecniq 7:38 PM - 7 October, 2013
run video at 1 gig and then run at 2 there is a difference because it uses system memory.
DJ Tecniq 7:39 PM - 7 October, 2013
if you run at 2 gigs it will process video more smoothly cause it's using more memory. I have found that using VSL way back.
DJ-Sven 11:36 AM - 10 October, 2013
For Recording I use a AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD. VGA + HDMI Input ... it works :-)
Code:E 5:47 PM - 10 October, 2013
Quote:
For Recording I use a AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD. VGA + HDMI Input ... it works :-)

Do you use any other Video software? does anything like resolume or grand VJ pic up the video input feed?
DJ-Sven 7:36 PM - 10 October, 2013
You can use the delivered Software from AverMedia, but I prefer Pinnacle Studio for recordings because I can directly re-edit the file burn it on DVD.
Code:E 9:05 PM - 10 October, 2013
I'm not wanting it for recording. I want to stream an video feed into a visuals program.
DJ-Sven 2:27 PM - 11 October, 2013
Especially for you Code:E I installed a Demo-Version from Arkaos Grand VJ, and yes, you can use the AverMedia to capture the VGA / HDMI Stream :-)
Code:E 7:13 PM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
Especially for you Code:E I installed a Demo-Version from Arkaos Grand VJ, and yes, you can use the AverMedia to capture the VGA / HDMI Stream :-)

Thank you for doing that. I appreciate it.
dj_clinton 4:19 AM - 15 October, 2013
Quote:

Thanks for your reply!
hornsmaniac 12:41 AM - 5 November, 2013
If i record with ME am i able to burn that on to a dvd?
Code:E 1:05 AM - 5 November, 2013
after you convert it to a DVD format, yes.
djnak 2:17 AM - 5 November, 2013
Quote:

just use iDVD simple and straight foward
Funkytownstopsix 7:56 PM - 8 November, 2013
maybe you guys should tell how M.E works as far a recording and why it gives good results. Yes you have to take more time for the process but it's worth the wait.
Funkytownstopsix 8:09 PM - 8 November, 2013
M.E records what you do a log file of sorts (video'/song's,scratching ect ect) of what you have done along with your audio. This allows your laptop to NOT be stressed during the recording. So then you will Export the Video It grabs the log of what you did and then goes and rips the videos as they sit on your drive. It is very important that you understand that when you export where ever the files came from internal or external those drives must be on in order for you to get you mix exported correctly. It takes more time with ME then it does with Screenflow but the results are much better. Screenflow has the ability to edit cut in paste kinda like Final Cut.... They both are good products and I use them both weekly.... As a matter of fact after I export a mix in M.E I bring it in to screen flow to add videos on top of videos text and other stuff it's just easier then using final cut.
djnak 8:36 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
maybe you guys should tell how M.E works as far a recording and why it gives good results. Yes you have to take more time for the process but it's worth the wait.

Quote:

I think it was said....

Quote:

just use iDVD simple and straight foward

You got any other options for burning to dvd?