DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Yamaha Dxr15 vs Dsr115

djMcClaren 4:00 AM - 24 September, 2013
I narrowed my speakers down to the two Yamahas. Approximately a month, Dj Gaffle mentioned that the Dsr115 are pair of very good speaker compared to the Dxr15. What I'm confused about is that the Dxr has a fan, but the Dsr doesn't. The Dxrs are 700 watts rms and the Dsrs are 1300 with no cooling fan. The Dsrs have a higher spl.

Wouldn't the Dsrs overheat quicker than the Dxr?

DlMcClaren
DJ GaFFle 5:32 PM - 24 September, 2013
I don't think they'll overheat if the cooling is efficient enough and the whole design was thoroughly tested/created (unlike JBL's PRX635's).

According to Al Poulin (speaker purchaser extraordinaire), the DSR's are better suited for live music and vocals. They have a larger high compression driver and are louder overall. The DXR's are more so suited for DJ or playback music. They have a more smiley-faced EQ sound (big bass, big highs). The DXR's are not as flat as the DSR's. I'd prefer the DSR's regardless because I'm keen on running subs and want my tops as loud and as clear as possible. You should be good to go either way. (nm)
djMcClaren 5:46 AM - 25 September, 2013
Dj Gaffle, since the Dsrs are louder and have a lot more power, I'll stick with purchasing a pair of the Dsr115 and one 18 inch sub for now. Thanks for the info.

DjMcClaren
DJ NoNseNse 6:57 AM - 25 September, 2013
I wonder how the Dsr115 compares to the new prx715
DJ GaFFle 3:02 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
Dj Gaffle, since the Dsrs are louder and have a lot more power, I'll stick with purchasing a pair of the Dsr115 and one 18 inch sub for now. Thanks for the info.

DjMcClaren

Hey, if you're not going to be using those tops solo and KNOW you'll pretty much be using a subwoofer, consider getting DSR112's. Think about it, you'll be crossing your 15's over at 100Hz when using a sub... you're negating it's effectiveness down low, so you might as well get a 12" top. 12" tops react quicker and are generally better with midrange intelligibility as opposed to a 15" top that is bigger and expected to usually go lower. (nm)
DJ NoNseNse 8:23 PM - 25 September, 2013
What if your doing larger events like school dances and proms? Wouldn't the 15 be a better choice with subs?
DJ GaFFle 10:11 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
What if your doing larger events like school dances and proms? Wouldn't the 15 be a better choice with subs?

I think it comes down to the tops and how both sound at 100Hz and up. If they share the same high-compression driver, one should notice:

... The 12's as being more intelligible when it comes to the vocals and maybe tone.
... Upper mid-bass kick would be to the advantage of the 15" speaker.
... Lower price advantage = 12's
... Lighter weight = 12's
... Use w/o subs = 15's

Again... what's the real advantage of that 15" driver if you're not letting 100Hz on down it? I guess the best thing would be to compare the two speakers with their high-pass engaged. (nm)
DJ GaFFle 10:12 PM - 25 September, 2013
100Hz, on down, to it?
djMcClaren 5:18 AM - 1 October, 2013
If I get the fifteens, I wouldn't need a sub? If I play in a larger venue, I would need a sub for more volume? I don't know if volume is the correct word, or maybe louder?

DjMcClaren
the_black_one 5:38 AM - 1 October, 2013
Sub is a must

NM NH
Dj Rehab 8:57 PM - 1 October, 2013
I own the DXR15's and they produce more bass than the average top. I've used them for 10 weddings so far and they have been more than enough. About 100-125 people at most. But in a loud bar, they really shine with a sub. You can crank the shit out of them without the clip light ever coming on when using a sub.....
djMcClaren 9:29 AM - 2 October, 2013
Why did you get the DXR15's instead of the DSR115? What was your decision?

DjMcClaren
Dj Rehab 12:41 PM - 2 October, 2013
i tested the DXR vs QSC/JBL and I just thought it sounded better at loud volumes. They didn't have a DSR for me to test.
djMcClaren 3:24 AM - 4 October, 2013
Thanks for your information. I haven't heard the DSR 115 either. The only reason for me choosing the DSR115 was the the higher wattage. I think for larger halls the higher wattage may have an advantage. It was just my opinion. I think the DXRs wattage is 750rms, and the DSRs are 1300 rms.
It seem that you are very happy with your choice. Thanks again.

DjMcClaren
Al Poulin 3:24 AM - 8 October, 2013
The DSR115s DO get louder than the DXR15s and are a better choice if you plan to play at higher levels in bigger venues often. More available power and better transducers = more headroom overall. I prefer the sound quality of the DXR15s as I find the DSRs are a little top heavy, but both are excellent overall. I do mostly smaller weddings which the DXR15s are great for. For over 150 people, I use my pair of DXR8s on top of DXS12 subs. If you are usually playing for bigger crowds, subs are a must IMO. And when you use subs, you can use smaller (and lighter) hi passed tops for the mids and highs.

Al
djMcClaren 10:12 AM - 17 October, 2013
What sub are you using for the pair of DXR15s?

DjMcClaren
Dj Rehab 6:32 PM - 17 October, 2013
DXS15 for small shows and a JBL SRX728s for big. Really don't need the small sub, as the speakers put out plenty of bass for the average wedding. But I like using a sub to allow me to turn the DXR's up more. They are loud as hell.
djMcClaren 6:08 AM - 25 October, 2013
That is a serious sub you've got there. Those dual 18" should really kick serious booty in the dance hall. I don't think you need to change sub for a while. Great Pick.

DjMcClaren
Johnnynights 2:04 AM - 13 November, 2013
Do any of you guys have the dsr 15 or 12?Im interested in getting a pair to go with my two cerwin vega cva 21"
djvicny 5:04 PM - 18 April, 2014
Just caught this post.. For anyone looking to buy the Yamaha, I highly recommend buying the DSR... I am a hardcore QSC fan and wanted to pick up another set for my extra gigs and I listened to the DSR and DXR and many other speakers. For me to get the comparable sound to the QSC, the DSR were the best match. I love them and they have done justice for me. I still use them with my HPR 18's and have handled a wedding for 600 people easily with just two QSC 18 subs and pair of DSR's.

Enjoy..
DJ VIC
"EDM 4 LIFE"
DJ.Tyme 5:09 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Just caught this post.. For anyone looking to buy the Yamaha, I highly recommend buying the DSR... I am a hardcore QSC fan and wanted to pick up another set for my extra gigs and I listened to the DSR and DXR and many other speakers. For me to get the comparable sound to the QSC, the DSR were the best match. I love them and they have done justice for me. I still use them with my HPR 18's and have handled a wedding for 600 people easily with just two QSC 18 subs and pair of DSR's.

Enjoy..
DJ VIC
"EDM 4 LIFE"

What Model DSR's Do You Have ? im trying to decide between DSR112's & DXR12's ?
Asu 11:41 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:

The DXR isn't DSR look into that first...DSR is louder and has more power but not the mixer on the back the DXR has.

But he probably has the DSR112 which are louder than DXR
dj_soo 1:34 AM - 19 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Enjoy..
DJ VIC
"EDM 4 LIFE"

DSR is a step up from the DXR. The DXRs are competing with the K-Series, ELXs, ART300s, and PXRs of the world while the DSR is more in line with lines like the ETX, KW series, Parasource, and the like. They may be older and have less modern features, but from the specs and output (plus that larger voice coil), they are a little more in the pro range whereas the DXRs are more of a "prosumer" range.
djMcClaren 4:47 AM - 24 December, 2015
I've finally bought a pair of the Yamaha DSR115 powered speakers. I'm looking for one eighteen inch sub to compliment speakers. I've notice that the DSR118W is only 800 watts, 132 db. I only want to buy one sub. Is this sub sufficient to push these speakers in a medium size hall? What sub should I buy to push these speakers. I have a four door camry car. Thanks.

DjMcClaren
Scully DJ Services 4:48 AM - 24 December, 2015
Is there any way you can fit a Yorville LS801P into your car?
Arjun B 4:56 AM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
Is there any way you can fit a Yorville LS801P into your car?

There's no way you can fit the LS801p into a Toyota Camry...
djMcClaren 5:32 AM - 24 December, 2015
I'll have to measure the height and width of the Yorkville sub, also, the room in the back seat.
Thanks.

DjMcClaren
dj_soo 6:23 AM - 24 December, 2015
don't bother - you won't fit an LS801P in a camry - need at least an SUV.

There is no single sub that will really keep up with those DSRs that will fit in a camry.
pdidy 6:26 AM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
I've finally bought a pair of the Yamaha DSR115 powered speakers. I'm looking for one eighteen inch sub to compliment speakers. I've notice that the DSR118W is only 800 watts, 132 db. I only want to buy one sub. Is this sub sufficient to push these speakers in a medium size hall? What sub should I buy to push these speakers. I have a four door camry car. Thanks.

DjMcClaren

You're going to have to change your requirements because they are unrealistic. The fact is there is no such thing as a single sub that can keep up with two Yamaha DSR115's.......
1. That is in you price range.
2. Can fit in a four door Camry car.

The reality is it will take approximately 4 to 6 small 18in subs to "Push" 2 Yamaha DSR115's depending on your specific musical taste.

So your options are......
1. Get a bigger vehicle so you can get more subs to push the tops.
or
2. Turn your tops down very low and forget about pushing them with 1 sub that can fit in a four door Camry car. (most people choose this option)
Asu 2:25 PM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
don't bother - you won't fit an LS801P in a Camry - need at least an SUV.

There is no single sub that will really keep up with those DSRs that will fit in a Camry.

Just get two SRX828SP and call it a day,use that Tax money you're waiting on :-)
JD WAS. 2:25 PM - 24 December, 2015
You won't need a sub unless your doing very large events.
Those dsr115s will work stand alone for small to medium gigs,with the base boost on they actually go pretty deep and can be pushed really hard even with the base boosted.
I have owned these for 2yrs and have yet to see a clip light!
The only time I even see a warning flash is when in playing well recored go-go music,and this is with the base boosted as well !
As stated above your gonna need some serious base to push those tops.
I don't have subs either butt 99.9% of my gigs are 200 or less and honestly the drs115s are a bit of overkill.
DJ.Tyme 7:05 PM - 24 December, 2015
my set up

DSR 112's for smaller events/functions

DSR 115's for bigger events/functions

i dont use nor own a sub (less stuff to carry) heck right now i carry to much stuff :-)
anyhoo thats my two cents. and DSR to me is not OVER kill they are well woth the $ i run them hard & never zero problems
Joee 9:07 PM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
've finally bought a pair of the Yamaha DSR115 powered speakers. I'm looking for one eighteen inch sub to compliment speakers.

usa.yamaha.com

end thread
Asu 12:29 AM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
've finally bought a pair of the Yamaha DSR115 powered speakers. I'm looking for one eighteen inch sub to compliment speakers.

usa.yamaha.com

end thread

TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT SUB...it's dope...wonder what the street price is?
JD WAS. 12:35 AM - 25 December, 2015
GREAT sub butt he has a Camry!
And when i said overkill i meant for my sub 200 events,also its a healthy dose of overkill i agree the are great speakers.
Asu 12:42 AM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
GREAT sub butt he has a Camry!
And when i said overkill i meant for my sub 200 events,also its a healthy dose of overkill i agree the are great speakers.

i'm getting the DXR15's for 200 or less events...tired of carrying two 12" and a 18 Sub.
Joee 12:49 AM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT SUB...it's dope...wonder what the street price is?

i was told $1,050
dj_soo 1:35 AM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
don't bother - you won't fit an LS801P in a Camry - need at least an SUV.

There is no single sub that will really keep up with those DSRs that will fit in a Camry.

Just get two SRX828SP and call it a day,use that Tax money you're waiting on :-)

Those won't fit in a Camry either
dj_soo 1:37 AM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

usa.yamaha.com

end thread

This won't fit in a Camry either.

I own a Camry - my sub choices are extremely limited...
Asu 5:23 PM - 25 December, 2015
Quote:

so you're limited to 2 15's then or that dual 12" qsc sub,should fit in the trunk
Joee 5:39 PM - 25 December, 2015
what about the qsc kw181? i use to fit one jbl mp418s en.audiofanzine.com in the front seat of a 1998 honda accord coup

the qsc is pretty compact for a 18"
dj_soo 1:03 AM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

so you're limited to 2 15's then or that dual 12" qsc sub,should fit in the trunk

I can fit up to three 15s and a pair of tops (12" or 10") in my car if I don't go with turntables and stick with a controller.

My camry is a hybrid so the trunk space is extremely limited - i bet I could fit a bit more if I had a regular camry.

At it's most tetris'd, I can fit my 2 10" tops, my 2 12" tops, 2 15" subs, my tech 12s and a 62 in flight cases plus all stands and cables.

I'm not sure if two kw181s would fit in my back seat, but that's the one I would consider getting - either that or the ETX15SPs.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with my NX720S's - they are surprisingly powerful for the size.
djMcClaren 4:19 PM - 26 December, 2015
I'm a beginner Dj, but thanks a lot on how to use the DSRs without sub. I had figured these speakers are a little overkill, but I didn't wanted to buy twice, I'm sure a lot of the experienced Djs are familiar with those terms. I'll check and see if one sub can fit beside the two speakers in the backseat and the other in the front seat.

DjMcClaren
DJ.Tyme 8:21 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm a beginner Dj, but thanks a lot on how to use the DSRs without sub. I had figured these speakers are a little overkill, but I didn't wanted to buy twice, I'm sure a lot of the experienced Djs are familiar with those terms. I'll check and see if one sub can fit beside the two speakers in the backseat and the other in the front seat.

DjMcClaren

ive been DJing with MY DSR 112's & 115's For Many Many Years (Without Subs) yes i would like the Extra Bass (BUT) i just dont have the room in my current DJ Mobile to carry Subs.... so ive done well without. trust me those 115's put out alot of bass them selfs :-)
Asu 1:05 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm not sure if two kw181s would fit in my back seat, but that's the one I would consider getting

I love how compact that sub is compared to the rest...lot's of DJ's love it for that
djMcClaren 5:28 AM - 28 December, 2015
Wow, that's cool, I thought that it was a must for a Dj to have a sub in his or her arsenal of equipments. That's was a cool idea to consider. I thought that having one sub is better than having no sub at all. Thanks.
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 28 December, 2015
It depends on your needs and crowd. Some small weddings don't require all out club bass or even bass you can feel. For those, a pair of 15" tops can often be enough. It kind of depends on your clientele and your personal standards.

If you do intend on always bringing a sub - even for the smallest parties - then go with small tops as they will sound marginally better with subs due to the smaller cabinet producing tighter miss and low mids. You're going to be crossing over at around 100hz anyway and the big advantage of 15" tops is that they go lower in full range mode at the cost of a little more mudiness in the low mids. 12" or 10" tops are fine if you pair with subs.
djMcClaren 6:03 AM - 28 December, 2015
Ok, I got that info. Thanks.
pmdj 2:02 PM - 17 January, 2016
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it for ages and enjoying it. I'm looking to buy a decent system and based on this thread the Yamaha DSR115 sounds like they are decent. I would like to have subs as part of my system (extra to carry but I don't mind). Would 2 of the DXS18 sub mentioned above be a good match for the DSR115's or what would you recommend? I'm in Ireland and very limited regarding shops to demo speakers in. Any shops I have found only carry a couple of the budget type speakers. Anything decent has to be ordered in so I'm really relying on any info/suggestions you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.
Asu 11:21 PM - 17 January, 2016
The DSR's are very loud...kinda like the PRX700 line up...the DXS won't be able to keep up....just buy some PRX715 and the 18" PRX718XLF subs....that'll hold you up really well.

for smaller gigs, you can just take out two of the 15's....they have a lot of low end and are only 49lbs i think.

I have the 715's and they're quite nice, loud & clear but also cheaper than the new SRX.
Joee 11:33 PM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
just buy some PRX715 and the 18" PRX718XLF subs....that'll hold you up really well.

good option, i would still recommend the DXS18 sub it's a beast.. that with a pair of DXR12 & any dj will be straight
pmdj 11:53 PM - 17 January, 2016
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.
Asu 6:20 PM - 18 January, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.

you're welcome...if you wanna spend a little less,get two DXR15's and the DXS18...smaller gigs...use the two 15's...but you must get bags cause they scratch easy unlike the PRX700 tour grade finish
pmdj 8:05 PM - 18 January, 2016
Thanks again Asu. I like the PRX700. Going to try find somewhere over here that will have them to demo. One of the few places I found has them on their website but when I called them they don't have any to demo and won't be getting any. They will order only if I'm buying. They are however the one of the main RCF and Yamaha dealers and they have them in stock to demo. Going to go for a listen.
Asu 2:43 PM - 19 January, 2016
FYI...the QSC KW181 hits harder than the 718XLF...and doesn't limit as fast...2000W vs 1500W...just letting you know your choices...go check out both
Joee 3:07 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
KW181 , 718XLF

dxs18 kills them
DJ Tracktion 4:07 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
FYI...the QSC KW181 hits harder than the 718XLF...and doesn't limit as fast...2000W vs 1500W...just letting you know your choices...go check out both

Intresting. I felt the PRX618xlf hit harder than the KW181 but I haven't heard the 718xlf. Weird that it would take a step backwards.
DJFree 5:22 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Intresting. I felt the PRX618xlf hit harder than the KW181 but I haven't heard the 718xlf. Weird that it would take a step backwards.

I bought 718xlf over the KW181.....it sounded better to me....like someone said.....listen to both and buy what you like better.
DJFree 5:23 PM - 19 January, 2016
Also the 718xlf has the Hi Pass Filter on the sub and the KW181 doesn't.
dj_soo 7:56 AM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

kw181 is 1000 watts.

Which means absolutely nothing because listed wattage is pure marketing to convince uninformed buyers that the higher wattage, the louder the speaker.
Rebelguy 8:26 AM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

The JBL sounds way better. The QSCs start to sound like crap when they get pushed too hard.
pdidy 9:10 AM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
The QSCs start to sound like crap when they get pushed too hard.

I never understood the logic behind people saying that qsc sounds bad "when pushed too hard" as if abusing a speaker was acceptable and the right thing to do. Any time that I've heard QSC sound like crap, the user was pushing the speaker beyond its design limits and clipping the speaker.

But I am aware that new technology and processing in current powered speakers has made them more idiot abuse proof for the amateur DJ or sound person in maintaining a decent sound quality even when pushed too hard.

Now if "QSCs start to sound like crap when they get pushed too hard" = they are not idiot proof, then I agree......lol
Joee 12:35 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
The JBL sounds way better.

i always thought this also, the jbl seems to have a fuller rounder bass in my opinion

but those 181s are hard to beat when looking for sound/portability
Rebelguy 4:19 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I never understood the logic behind people saying that qsc sounds bad "when pushed too hard" as if abusing a speaker was acceptable and the right thing to do. Any time that I've heard QSC sound like crap, the user was pushing the speaker beyond its design limits and clipping the speaker.

But I am aware that new technology and processing in current powered speakers has made them more idiot abuse proof for the amateur DJ or sound person in maintaining a decent sound quality even when pushed too hard.

Now if "QSCs start to sound like crap when they get pushed too hard" = they are not idiot proof, then I agree......lol

QSCs start to sound like crap when they are pushed to elevated levels but still within their advertised specifications. Does that sound better to you? My experience with the 181s is that as your turn them up the sound quality quickly falls apart. This may be because of their compact design. They tried to beat the laws of physics and fell a bit short.
pdidy 6:28 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

QSCs start to sound like crap when they are pushed to elevated levels but still within their advertised specifications. Does that sound better to you? My experience with the 181s is that as your turn them up the sound quality quickly falls apart. This may be because of their compact design. They tried to beat the laws of physics and fell a bit short.

No my experiences been quite different, when fed a clean signal and use within the design limits I've experienced good sound Quality Throughout the k/kw speaker line.

Are you using bass boost ? That tends to be the most common mistake of people who are experiencing issues with QSC. Bass boost will consume all headroom and cause subs and tops sound quality issues and early clipping.
Asu 11:53 AM - 24 January, 2016
Quote:
kw181 is 1000 watts.
it's more bro...the driver alone is 600-700RMS so it's at least limited to 1400W close to the 718XLF
Asu 12:01 PM - 24 January, 2016
Quote:
Are you using bass boost ? That tends to be the most common mistake of people who are experiencing issues with QSC. Bass boost will consume all headroom and cause subs and tops sound quality issues and early clipping.

very true...boost is only good at very low volumes...meanwhile...i used my new PRX715 and boy are they loud + clear all the way up....never peaked/limited one single time even at what i thought were crazy loud volumes,engaged HPF on the subs....kept signal clean on my end too.
Joee 1:17 PM - 24 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
kw181 is 1000 watts.
it's more bro...the driver alone is 600-700RMS so it's at least limited to 1400W close to the 718XLF

i too would like to know the true power of the kw181

the specs say the amp is 1000 watts with a 2000 peak

"1000 W Class D continuous
2000 W peak"

but they don't tell you the power handling capabilities of the actually drive

www.qscparts.com

reconingspeakers.com

www.fullcompass.com

no one seems to state the true specs of the driver, is it 500 700 1000?
Asu 7:57 PM - 24 January, 2016
Quote:
no one seems to state the true specs of the driver, is it 500 700 1000?

If i remember correctly,it's a B&C 600-700RMS Driver....the amp always has headroom in that case.

but you have 1000W efficient drivers these days JBL,EV,Yamaha are using them...the new SRX are 1000W,yamaha's new sub tops out at 1020W i think.

Best thing is to go listen to them cranked up and get what you feel suits you
Joee 9:38 PM - 24 January, 2016
cool thanks, I've heard them all i was just curious as to the true kw181 driver specs
Asu 10:01 PM - 27 January, 2016
I was told the QSC uses this driver; B&C 18PZB100. so the amp specs make sense for the KW181(1000watts continuous,2000W peak).

I understand the concern about the new JBL SRX Amp rating of 1000W peak though.
therustymiler 10:17 AM - 28 January, 2016
I'm looking at getting a pair of KW181's and am not sure what tops to put on?
currently thinking a pair of DSR 112 or DSR 115.
Keen to listen to a few other options like RCF ART 315-A MK3 , QSC k 12's or 15's or maybe even HK Audio Premium Pro 15XA or 12's
Asu 5:00 PM - 28 January, 2016
get the DSR115's for those gigs you don't need a sub but still some decent low end.
therustymiler 11:42 PM - 28 January, 2016
Not sure what you mean by "those gigs"
I play a range of events and need something that can handle a large outdoor party.
pdidy 12:18 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
"those gigs"
= A Sound Systems or speaker choice for a particular type of event.
dj_soo 12:28 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
I play a range of events and need something that can handle a large outdoor party.

2 KW181s will not handle a "large outdoor party."

Outdoors, you'll want to double your subs at least, but you'd be better off with higher end subs like the JBLSRX828s
pdidy 1:01 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

2 KW181s will not handle a "large outdoor party."

Outdoors, you'll want to double your subs at least, but you'd be better off with higher end subs like the JBLSRX828s

I'd like to know what his definition of a "large outdoor party." is ?

So unless you are playing jazz or Sanatra for senior citizens, 2 KW181s just aint gonna cut it for a "large outdoor party." where im from....lol

I'm pretty sure most people don't know what they're getting into or whats really required when they say that.
pdidy 1:16 AM - 29 January, 2016
I consider my system entry level for "large outdoor party."
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
therustymiler 5:27 AM - 29 January, 2016
Maybe I should clarify my large outdoor party.
I'm only talking about 200 people max, in a beer gardern or outside at house parties.
which is large for me. lol
but also playing inside at bars and such.
I'm not looking to run a festival or anything!
DJ.Tyme 10:44 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Maybe I should clarify my large outdoor party.
I'm only talking about 200 people max, in a beer gardern or outside at house parties.
which is large for me. lol
but also playing inside at bars and such.
I'm not looking to run a festival or anything!

i do tons of indoor & outdoor events and my DSR 115's does the trick (without) any subs
djMcClaren 5:39 AM - 30 January, 2016
Hi! Dj Tyme, I have a pair of DSR115s. What brand of sub do you suggest for the Yamahas?
Asu 9:36 PM - 30 January, 2016
get some JBL PRX718 XLF...most here love them and a quite affordable...if you can move the new dual 18"SRX828 subs....that's the best deal for serious low end vs cost.
DJ.Tyme 7:57 PM - 31 January, 2016
Quote:
Hi! Dj Tyme, I have a pair of DSR115s. What brand of sub do you suggest for the Yamahas?

i dont have any subs (but) have been on the fence about buying some. cause ive been getting booked for some big big events this year and dont want to rent any because i dont want them going out on me at my event ;-) anyhoo i wast looking at: Yamaha DSR118w / Cerwin Vega p1800sx / Behringer B1800hp any other DJ's want to comment on any of my choices if you have used any of these ? thanx
dj_soo 10:09 AM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i dont have any subs (but) have been on the fence about buying some. cause ive been getting booked for some big big events this year and dont want to rent any because i dont want them going out on me at my event ;-) anyhoo i wast looking at: Yamaha DSR118w / Cerwin Vega p1800sx / Behringer B1800hp any other DJ's want to comment on any of my choices if you have used any of these ? thanx

the DSR15s are a good 2 or 3 levels above any behringer gear.

The Cerwin Vegas I'm not really experienced with, so I can't comment.

You'll ideally want to look at subs like the EV ELX18SPs, QSC KW181s JBL SRX828s, Yahama DSR18s, or the Yorkville LS801Ps or LS2100Ps. You'll probably want multiples of whatever you choose.

A good ratio of tops to subs given the subs are a similar class of speaker is 2 subs for every 1 top.
Asu 4:23 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Cerwin Vega p1800sx

That's a very good sub and very affordable...thing goes real deep/low like the JBL 718XLF...the finish scratches easily though...the Yorkies are loudest and heavy for a single 18....the JBL SRX828 are the best bang for your money...for most DJ's...you'll never need more than 2 of these...someone on here got a pair for $3K....that's a great deal IMHO vs output.
dj_soo 11:29 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
Yahama DSR18

meant to say the DXS18
DJ.Tyme 10:56 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it for ages and enjoying it. I'm looking to buy a decent system and based on this thread the Yamaha DSR115 sounds like they are decent. I would like to have subs as part of my system (extra to carry but I don't mind). Would 2 of the DXS18 sub mentioned above be a good match for the DSR115's or what would you recommend? I'm in Ireland and very limited regarding shops to demo speakers in. Any shops I have found only carry a couple of the budget type speakers. Anything decent has to be ordered in so I'm really relying on any info/suggestions you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.

Watchwww.youtube.com
pmdj 5:48 PM - 8 April, 2016
DJ.Tyme thanks for that.

Quick update. I ended up buying 1 RCF Sub 708-AS II for now. Hoping to get a 2nd in the next few months. Decision was based on what I could actually fit into my car and also the mostly positive comments about RCF on here. Now don't laugh but I have it running with two JBL Eon 515xt tops and I am very happy with the over all sound. I've had the Eons for a few years now and they've served me well but I always wanted to add a sub or two. Also hoping to change the EONs to some RCF tops in the next few months. I do mostly weddings and birthdays for up to 200 people and so far I'm really happy with the sound but I think the RCF tops will make it even better. The EONs can get a little harsh when turned up loud. I've nothing to compare the sub with so I can't give you any useful info in that respect. The video link shows my full set up for now. Sound is not great (and ignore the track) but it's mainly for showing off the set up and the lights in particular as I will be adding it to a new website I'm currently building and I will be replacing the audio to avoid copy right issues.

youtu.be

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Rgds

Paul
Joee 6:59 PM - 8 April, 2016
nice, i recently demoed the 708, it's a good sounding sub clean & low great sounding 18" for less than $800
Asu 12:01 AM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quick update. I ended up buying 1 RCF Sub 708-AS II for now.

That's a good sub based on this spec, Frequency Response at -3 dB is 35 Hz - 120 Hz,that's better than the KW181 :-) and as good as the JBLPRX718XLF...you did well....you'll get nice lows at + or -3db
Al Poulin 1:59 AM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quick update. I ended up buying 1 RCF Sub 708-AS II for now.

you'll get nice lows at + or -3db

Not sure what exactly you mean by this?
Asu 2:29 AM - 12 April, 2016
google is your friend...that's one of the most important spec for subs.
Al Poulin 2:48 AM - 12 April, 2016
I understand frequency response qualifiers. I don't understand why you are saying he'll get nice lows at + or -3DB.

Al
Al Poulin 3:08 AM - 12 April, 2016
According to RCF's graph, the sub's output is strongest between 50-70hz, with 30hz response being down about 15 DBs from those frequencies, so I'm not sure RCF's published numbers are correct, but perhaps I'm reading this graph wrong.

I do KNOW however, that they are incorrect in the frequency response specs of many of their speakers, for example, the ART 315A, which claims 45 at -3DB, but a look at their own response graph shows the speaker to be down more than 20DBs at that frequency. Anyone who's tested the 315A (such as myself) knows that their is very little response below 70 hz in most models in the 3 line. I would need to ask RCF about these specs...

Al
Shaun man 9:34 AM - 14 April, 2016
Best brand of subs on the market today to join two dsr 15 " ? cheers guys
Scully DJ Services 12:34 PM - 14 April, 2016
@Shaun Your budget? Size restrictions? Volume level requirement? Type of music you play?
E.R.S DJ Events 12:39 PM - 21 June, 2016
Hello guys, excuse for my poor English, I'm French and i have 2 DBR15 and 2 DXS18....Let me say 2 dxs18 are better than 2 QSC KW181, i play Electro music and my DBR15 are in full mode and the 2 DXS18 cutting to 100HZ. (105 DBA at 2 Meter!)
For Djs ho wants bigger punchy go to the DSR 115's, better than DXR15.
See you!!!
E.R.S DJ Events 12:47 PM - 21 June, 2016
For all the the sub, if you want more punch you must link them 2 by 2 close to them in the center of the scene (get +6 DB), and never let them linked with a speaker at the top. I have tested last week 1 DXS18 in the center and 2 DBR15 on the corner.... Good vibration.
djMcClaren 2:47 PM - 21 June, 2016
Thanks for the info, I'll rent a pair of Jbls 718xle or Qscs 181 subs for one of my dance.
Asu 3:44 PM - 21 June, 2016
Quote:
For all the the sub, if you want more punch you must link them 2 by 2 close to them in the center of the scene (get +6 DB), and never let them linked with a speaker at the top. I have tested last week 1 DXS18 in the center and 2 DBR15 on the corner.... Good vibration.

it's true...having the subs in the center and the Tops on the outside does sound really amazing...instead of top over sub.
dj_soo 10:10 PM - 21 June, 2016
Quote:
Hello guys, excuse for my poor English, I'm French and i have 2 DBR15 and 2 DXS18....Let me say 2 dxs18 are better than 2 QSC KW181, i play Electro music and my DBR15 are in full mode and the 2 DXS18 cutting to 100HZ. (105 DBA at 2 Meter!)
See you!!!

You're better off cutting the tops at 100 to match the subs. otherwise you'll get a lot more mud due to overlapping frequencies as well as potential phase cancellation.
E.R.S DJ Events 7:49 AM - 22 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
See you!!!

You're better off cutting the tops at 100 to match the subs. otherwise you'll get a lot more mud due to overlapping frequencies as well as potential phase cancellation.

You're right all to 100hz is better!!
Djc Jimenez 7:13 AM - 30 November, 2016
How many Yorkville LS801p's would it take to push 2 Yamaha DXR15's? What would be the best config for the Yamaha's when used with these subs? 120 or 100 Hz?
dj_soo 7:43 AM - 30 November, 2016
can't say for sure about how many LS801s, since I don't have the dxr15s, but cut at 100 for sure. If you have an external xover, 80 might even be better. You want your subs to handle the felt bass and leave the audible sound to the tops. Especially when it comes to subs like the LS801s which tend to boom a bit more than average.
dj_soo 7:44 AM - 30 November, 2016
also, because the 801s have an adjustable high frequency cutoff, experiment with lowering it below 100 so you get a little dip around the 80 - 100 range to smooth it out a bit. I find that the 801s tend to boom a bit in the 80hz range and when I use them, I'll usually cut out a bit of frequency using an EQ.
Sharod 8:19 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
How many Yorkville LS801p's would it take to push 2 Yamaha DXR15's? What would be the best config for the Yamaha's when used with these subs? 120 or 100 Hz?

Depending on the acoustics you can run 2 to 4 ls801p's with 2 DXR15's.
SG SOUNDS 11:49 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:

1 yorkville will push 2 dxr15's.....I used this set up for years...if you use more than one the dxr's will run out of gas quick
pdidy 1:00 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
How many Yorkville LS801p's would it take to push 2 Yamaha DXR15's?

Quote:

Quote:
1 yorkville will push 2 dxr15's.

So apparently it's not an exact science because depending on who you ask it can vary from 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 Yorkville LS801p's per pair of Yamaha DXR15's.....lol
JDforKing 3:16 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So apparently it's not an exact science because depending on who you ask it can vary from 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 Yorkville LS801p's per pair of Yamaha DXR15's.....lol

I was thinking the same thing lol
Sharod 8:53 PM - 30 November, 2016

Not true. The science is in your settings. Not to many sets sound a like. I do believe you know what i'm saying? I will leave it at that.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:15 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And then there is that.
djizzyltp 11:50 PM - 23 December, 2016
I have 2 dxr15 and 1 801p i must say. i have ran out of gas on the dxr15 ,while the 801p is half way up. Im thinking of ditching the dxr15 and get 2 dsr112s better with subs and more headroom/throw. I don't ever use tops alone. I had an ls800p before and that sub couldn't keep up with the dxr15... strange.
Sharod 12:28 AM - 24 December, 2016
I was under the impression the Ls800p & Ls801p had the same output? Also when you run your tops what do you have the dsp settings at?
djizzyltp 4:20 AM - 24 December, 2016
i thought so too but i heard newer driver and yes and no on the dsp. I tried it under monitor once and it gave it a nice sound. i still want to get the dsr112. just wondering how much of a step up I'm going
Sharod 4:46 AM - 24 December, 2016
Sounds like your running them at full range. Do you set the cross over settings? 100HZ, 120 HZ, or off? If HPF is set to off, you will run out of gas early.
dj_soo 4:47 AM - 24 December, 2016
Do you cut at 100hz and adjust the sub at around the same? You get more headroom when you cut the lows from the tops

Dsr have that larger high voice coil so you'll see an improvement in clarity and throw at the very least but it's probably louder as a well
Al Poulin 5:24 AM - 24 December, 2016
I'd opt for a single DSR112 over each 801P. Depending on type of music and how much bass you like however, a pair of DSR112s could probably hang with up to 4 801Ps IMO. The DSR112s ARE that loud.

I've used a single 801P with my pair of DXR8s and the hi-passed pair of DXR8s had no problem keeping up with the single 801P. The 801P actually had the limit light blinking before the DXR8s (on bass heavy songs)

As for DXR15s, they should be fine 1 to 1 ratio with those subs. DXR15s are a great sounding full range solution for smaller mobile work, but the DSR cabs are capable of more raw SPL.

Al
Asu 11:19 PM - 1 January, 2017
Quote:
i thought so too but i heard newer driver and yes and no on the dsp. I tried it under monitor once and it gave it a nice sound. i still want to get the dsr112. just wondering how much of a step up I'm going

save some money and buy the PRX 712 or 715....those things are loud and heavily discounted since the latest PRX's just came out.
dj_soo 12:07 PM - 2 January, 2017
dsr is a step up from the prx
SG SOUNDS 1:47 PM - 2 January, 2017
Quote:

this
Asu 12:38 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:

i was talking about them being able to keep up...at a much lower cost. 1 to 1...the spl is impressive especially when crossed over.
dj_soo 3:53 AM - 6 January, 2017
Dxrs are great too and very affordable, but he decided he's going the extra mile and getting the step up.

The srx series would be a more accurate comparison.
djMcClaren 1:58 AM - 12 August, 2017
I've bought a single Bassboss 18 inch sub and I'm very happy with the sound.
Asu 2:04 AM - 12 August, 2017
Quote:

lucky you...i hear they sound like a dual 18"
djMcClaren 3:58 AM - 13 August, 2017
The bass is very deep and isn't muddy. The cabinet has like a scratch resistant surface on it. The only minor problem is that it is a large sub, but the investment is worth it to me. Later, I will get a second one.
pdidy 7:22 PM - 13 August, 2017
Quote:

What subs have you owned in the past ?
desmorider 1:32 PM - 14 August, 2017
Quote:

Which model bassboss sub did you buy?
desmorider 1:36 PM - 14 August, 2017
They make 3 different single 18's.
djMcClaren 3:58 PM - 14 August, 2017
I bought the SSp118.
djMcClaren 3:29 PM - 26 September, 2017
I had used the sub for the first time on Saturday, this sub really give the Reggae, Soca, and R&B music some tight kicking bass. I'm very happy with my purchased of this sub.
pdidy 5:18 AM - 27 September, 2017
Quote:
I bought the SSp118.

how many ?
djMcClaren 8:15 PM - 7 October, 2017
I bought one.
DJ Tony quinn 8:42 PM - 1 January, 2018
The DSR are great cabs but for music playback
Go with DXR,s I have the DSR,s 15,s
& DXR,s 15,s & I only Bring out the DSR for the bigger gigs
300 people on
The dxr,s have a warmer sound
For Music playback
DXR 15,s 22kg vs the DSR 15 28kg šŸ˜©šŸ˜©
Mrhillcity 8:52 PM - 1 January, 2018
Totally agree with DJ Tony. I have the DSR 15s and DXR 12s. Both are awesome speakers but, for weddings and smaller school gigs I use the DXRs with subs. For bigger proms I use the DSRs with subs. The DSRs get louder and clarity is still there although I must say the DXRs with the crossover engage get mighty loud as well. I have honestly never pushed either to the limit and can't see a situation were I would ever need to. Did a prom last year with 2 DSR 15s and 4 QSC KW181s and sound was incredible. This was inside of a ball room. Not sure how it would sound outside though. There were 800+ students in the prom and coverage was not a problem. 7 year warranty on the Yamaha's can't beat that.
Sharod 9:29 PM - 1 January, 2018
Canā€™t speak for Dsrā€™s except they should get louder do to bigger voice coil. But I love my DXR 15ā€™s. For the money I believe they where the best out the bunch I demonstrated against. Amongst my close djā€™s and friends, they all took a liking to the Yamahaā€™s after hearing them. Hereā€™s a true story, a partner of mines was playing at a bikers club house which happened to be a hole in the wall. He had 1 zlx 15ā€ ev. Long story short I set up a DXR15 next to the zlx15. Would you know he went an bought 2 DXRā€™s the next week. He said he noticed the zlx15 was clipping when the DXR wasnā€™t. True story.
mobius909 10:47 PM - 2 May, 2018
took me a while, but i read the whole forum.

I've had a pair of dsr115's for about 5 years now. I recently sold my PRX-418XLF because it could never keep up with the tops. So now i'm doing my sub research.

I've come to the decision between the new Yorkville ES15P or ES18P.

Quick specs:
15P - 1800 watts RMS/3600 peak, 138db Peak, 45-150hz/+/- 3db - 110lbs 21x18x32"
18P - 1600 watts RMS/3200 peak, 140db peak, 43-150hz/+/- 3db - 137lbs 24x23x35"

anyone have/heard these? everyone says it would take 2 kw181/srx series to equal one of either of these.

i'm thinking i could get away with the 15" since neither goes below 43hz.

thoughts?

fyi DSR all day. I've never turned it up past 4.
dj_soo 12:09 AM - 3 May, 2018
The es18p Iā€™ve heard in the store and it sounds much better than the old ls801p

Still havenā€™t heard the es15p but as soon as it comes in to my local store, I plan to rent one for a gig just to hear how it sounds.
dj_soo 12:09 AM - 3 May, 2018
Keep in mind that Yamaha also just announced a pair of new subs for their new line of speakers so might be worth a listen...
dj_soo 12:11 AM - 3 May, 2018
Also the srx828p produces similar output to the es18p and goes much lower so thatā€™s also a choice.
mobius909 4:59 AM - 3 May, 2018
it's not like the 828 is any lighter, but i imagine it takes up more cargo space. interesting comparison of the output between a single 18 and a pair. nobody in the bay has these set up to hear.
Johnnynights 5:06 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Also the srx828p produces similar output to the es18p and goes much lower so thatā€™s also a choice.

You think they have the same output or is the es18p still much louder?
mobius909 5:32 AM - 3 May, 2018
JBL SRX 828
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 29 Hz - 150 Hz
Frequency Response (-3 dB) 35 Hz - 120 Hz
2000 W Peak (or 1000 a side)
Max SPL Output 141 dB
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 22.57 x 47.42 x 26.79 (in)
Net Weight 145 lb

vs York ES18P
1600 Watts RMS (3200 Watts Peak)
Max SPL (dB) 140dB Peak (134dB Continuous)
Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3dB) 43 - 150 (Hz +/- 3dB)
Frequency Roll-off - 80Hz to 150 Hz
Dimensions (HWH, inches) 22.84 x 24.1 x 34.65
Weight (lbs/kg) 137 / 62

can someone explain to me -10db and -3db? I never quite understood the concept.
mobius909 5:34 AM - 3 May, 2018
the srx gets the +6db boost by having "two subs side by side"
dj_soo 5:53 AM - 3 May, 2018
It refers to the frequency slope of the sub.

assuming that the sub produces a flat signal (which most don't), the low end essentially filters down from 0db to inaudible at the low end of reproduced sound.

-3 is generally where the slope starts going downwards and -10 is generally where the sound starts to cut off entirely.

So think of it like a filter curve with -3 being where the low end starts to dip from the full volume and -10 as being the lowest point the sub can produce - even if it's going to be quieter than the upper frequencies that are produced by the sub.

-3 generally gives you the practical low end limit of the sub, but there will still be audible frequencies below that can be reproduced - it's just going to be quieter than the rest. Knowing the -10 level will let you know how quickly or slowly the sub tapers off into the inaudible. Unfortunately, Yorkville doesn't give you -10 specs so it's hard to know how low the subs actually go without measuring it with a spectral analyzer.

Quote:
You think they have the same output or is the es18p still much louder?

Honestly, I've never heard the 828 let alone A/B'd it with the yorkville so I can't tell you how they compare - I'm just going by specs. The one big difference is that SRX I believe are front-loaded subs while Yorkville are horn-loaded subs. Front loaded usually gives you a little smoother and lower sound while horn loaded tends to throw the volume a longer distance.
dj_soo 5:53 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:

I would assume that JBL take the coupling into account when they list their specs.
mobius909 6:07 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I would assume that JBL take the coupling into account when they list their specs.

yeah, it's in the calculation of the whole package. I feel like, for size and throw of sound coupled with my dsr115's, the York is my choice. When you get into subs, most want to feel it rather than hear it. It just so happens that the Yorks tend to overproduce their specs, whereas others lend to creeping up to their specs.

I think i'm gonna trust my gut and go with the York. The guy i'm dealing with quoted me $1250... i think he read the wrong column, but i'm hoping to take advantage of his error. No one else has them under $1499
mobius909 6:09 AM - 3 May, 2018
whereas the srx is $2000
dj_soo 7:05 AM - 3 May, 2018
the thing about bass feel is that the lower you go, the more you feel it so I would expect the SRX828 to give you those deep lows a bit better than the yorkvilles since they go down to 35 vs the 43 that the ES18P does. Sheer volume to price tho, you can't really beat the yorkvilles, and the new design of the ES18P sub makes it a lot more manageable than the older LS801P.

I think you'll be happy with the ES18P. The only thing I don't really like about it is that there is only a single input for the sub vs the pair of inputs that the older Elite subs and the 828 have. It's not a huge deal as most modern music generally has anything below 100-120 hz as mono, but if you play old tunes from the 60s or something, sometimes even the bass and drums are hard-panned to the left or right.
mobius909 7:54 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
the thing about bass feel is that the lower you go, the more you feel it so I would expect the SRX828 to give you those deep lows a bit better than the yorkvilles since they go down to 35 vs the 43 that the ES18P does. Sheer volume to price tho, you can't really beat the yorkvilles, and the new design of the ES18P sub makes it a lot more manageable than the older LS801P.

I think you'll be happy with the ES18P. The only thing I don't really like about it is that there is only a single input for the sub vs the pair of inputs that the older Elite subs and the 828 have. It's not a huge deal as most modern music generally has anything below 100-120 hz as mono, but if you play old tunes from the 60s or something, sometimes even the bass and drums are hard-panned to the left or right.

do explain?
does the srx have that problem too?
mobius909 7:56 AM - 3 May, 2018
oh snap! I just saw a single input and a single output... how are you supposed to run a pair of tops out???
mobius909 7:58 AM - 3 May, 2018
xlr splitters???
mobius909 8:01 AM - 3 May, 2018
the diagrams on the owners manual suggest you run your mixer to your tops, then into the sub.
dj_soo 9:02 AM - 3 May, 2018
the yorkville doesn't have a crossover and rather relies on an adjustable low pass and needs to be paired with a top that has a highpass built in (which the yamaha's do). You can either run from the tops to the sub or just run one side to one top and run the other side direct to the top.
mobius909 5:56 PM - 3 May, 2018
I just got a quote for $1280 to have the ES18P shipped to my house... that's cheap!
djammin 11:52 PM - 3 May, 2018
Have you had a look at the DXS18 for your Yamaha tops?

I was looking for subs to match with a pair of DXR15 not too long ago & after looking at all the other main players went with these 18s. The sound has been great, compatibility with the tops has been great and their robustness & 7 year warranty is... well, great.

There should also be some $200 rebates at the moment as they're releasing pretty much the same sub with a front grille very soon, so price should be within your budget.
dj_soo 4:25 AM - 4 May, 2018
although I've never heard the DXS18, from some of the comments on here and reviews, sounds like the ES18P is a superior sub
Taipanic 4:59 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
took me a while, but i read the whole forum.

I've had a pair of dsr115's for about 5 years now. I recently sold my PRX-418XLF because it could never keep up with the tops. So now i'm doing my sub research.

I've come to the decision between the new Yorkville ES15P or ES18P.

Quick specs:
15P - 1800 watts RMS/3600 peak, 138db Peak, 45-150hz/+/- 3db - 110lbs 21x18x32"
18P - 1600 watts RMS/3200 peak, 140db peak, 43-150hz/+/- 3db - 137lbs 24x23x35"

anyone have/heard these? everyone says it would take 2 kw181/srx series to equal one of either of these.

i'm thinking i could get away with the 15" since neither goes below 43hz.

thoughts?

fyi DSR all day. I've never turned it up past 4.

The Yorkville ES18p sounds great with the Yamahas. As stated, the new version is a bit cleaner with better DSP and a taller,thinner cab that is easier to lift & transport. many gigs will only require one sub.
DJKayce 1:40 AM - 8 May, 2018
I got mine for $1250 ES18P. Sounds much better than my LS801p. I like the slimmer body vs the short and bulky 801p.
Ok about the inputs
It has 2 inputs.if you are using 1 sub, you go from mixer to the left and right tops. Then from the tops, you go to the mono input and other input there by creating a stereo sound.
DJ GaFFle 6:28 PM - 8 May, 2018
Quote:
I got mine for $1250 ES18P. Sounds much better than my LS801p. I like the slimmer body vs the short and bulky 801p...

Would you elaborate on what you mean by "much better"?

Seem to it lower?
Louder?
Less rattle?
More punch, etc...
DJ GaFFle 6:29 PM - 8 May, 2018
Seem to hit lower... ^
dj_soo 6:52 PM - 8 May, 2018
From my experience with it, it's sounds smoother and there's less of that huge bump in the 70-80hz range that caused the boominess, while maintaining that legendary output of the ls801. I haven't had a gig experience with it tho.

Goes a little lower but not much.
DJKayce 12:33 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
I got mine for $1250 ES18P. Sounds much better than my LS801p. I like the slimmer body vs the short and bulky 801p...

Would you elaborate on what you mean by "much better"?

Seem to it lower?
Louder?
Less rattle?
More punch, etc...

The bass on the new sub is tighter, more punch and sound better to me. I don't know if it's because you can dial in to exact line of what you want like Punch or Smooth and HF roll off. I like best the size and the non carpeted body.
mobius909 10:10 PM - 14 May, 2018
how do you guys run it since it has one set of xlr in/out?
dj_soo 7:10 AM - 15 May, 2018
stereo outs to the tops, from one top to the sub, set low pass at whatever the tops crossover at (usually 100)
Taipanic 8:44 PM - 15 May, 2018
Quote:
stereo outs to the tops, from one top to the sub, set low pass at whatever the tops crossover at (usually 100)

I usually run a set of RCA/XLR cables from the mixer to the Yorkville direct. Less wiring hassle and no issues.
mobius909 4:26 PM - 17 May, 2018
the york has a secondary input (from thru port on tops) and balances the signal internally. FYI, the HPF on the Yamaha DSR115's is 120 hz, however the Yorkville tech guy recommended sending the full signal into the sub and letting the frequency filter do it's job. To me, you set it up that way and try to balance it based on the space you are playing.
mobius909 9:01 PM - 3 July, 2018
I ran my es18p for the first time (live) this past weekend... MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! that thing does the job of 3 "regular" subs. i left it at 11 o'clock all night and it didnt even break a sweat. i did, however as i tried to get it in my explorer by myself. WHOA that thing is heavy.