DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Protected iTunes files in Serato.

Certified Quality Entertainment 2:58 PM - 19 September, 2013
So last night I was putting music together for a Wedding I am doing tomorrow. Bride/Father dance is In my Daughter's eyes by Martina McBride. I search in Serato for it and it's not there. I'm thinking to myself how the hell do I not have this song. So I go to itunes to buy it and low and behold it is sitting there in my itunes library. I tried to isolate that track in a playlist and reopen serato to see if it would pop up and it doesn't. The file says protected and I am assuming I purchased this track a while ago when everything was kind of "locked". Now I have no idea how many tracks are in this boat but i know there has to be more than just a few.

Any way to get around this other than burning an audio cd and re-importing a song? And any way I could get which tracks are in this format without having to serach 1 by 1 which would be impossible.
DJMark 11:34 PM - 19 September, 2013
That must be something you got from iTunes a very long time ago...

You can download it DRM-free:

support.apple.com
FunkyRob 12:03 AM - 20 September, 2013
I think itunes keeps track of all your purchases,

I bet if you delete the old one and re-purchase the same exact track, it will probably not charge you.

that happened with an app that I accidentally deleted, so I don't see why the same thing wouldn't happen with a song.

in column view in iTunes, you can add "Kind" to everything and that will say something about being a "protected AAC file" or something like that and sort by that field. I don't have anymore so I can't be sure exactly what it will say.
FunkyRob 12:05 AM - 20 September, 2013
I just clicked on DJMark's link and it appears my guess was right.

but add the "Kind" field to find any more of them pesky files.