Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

ripping vinyl

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJTJ 7:01 PM - 21 October, 2004
I was just wondering if you rip vinyl to your computer, then play it thru serato, will the sound quality be noticeably worse than if you rip a song from cd and play it thru serato?
bartaug 7:12 PM - 21 October, 2004
I find recorded vinyl sounding much better as CD source material, especialy when you use .wav instead of mp3.
J-BRAVO 7:01 PM - 23 October, 2004
Surely the fact that we're all using SSL means that we've stopped kidding ourselves about the mythical sound quality of vinyl.
bartaug 12:11 PM - 24 October, 2004
Quote:
we've stopped kidding ourselves about the mythical sound quality of vinyl.

Not really....
IMHO mp3's made from recorded vinyl sound much better as ones ripped from CD's. It's even better when using .wav instead of mp3.
J-BRAVO 2:18 PM - 24 October, 2004
Maybe.

I think its half placebo effect and half nostalgia for a certain 'type' of sound, I listened to a load of old hip hop tapes that i hadnt heard for years the other day and all that early/mid 90s hip hop sounded better in a weird way.
Revolutionary 3:13 PM - 24 October, 2004
Like "U can't touch this"?
bartaug 4:36 PM - 24 October, 2004
Quote:
I think its half placebo effect and half nostalgia for a certain 'type' of sound,

You get used to anything after a while, even mp3 sound quality ;)

Lossy compression (like mp3) makes a part of the original dissapear (otherwise it would be lossless compression), if you listen close enough you will notice.
dj_ricochet 9:47 AM - 25 October, 2004
I definitely prefer the 'clean' digital sound I get from SSL, but still regularly mix in ordinary vinyls thru my sets and they do have that special something... the warmth, the crackles... ahhh the nostalgia ;)

I do think it'd be great to have some form of rudimentary ripping functionality within SSL to record your normal vinyls as they are played thru the SSL hardware.
DJTJ 8:38 PM - 30 October, 2004
My question is not really what sounds better, cd's or vinyl.. My question was to the effect of if you rip vinyl, and play ssl vinyl, will u get a "double vinyl" sound. I really dont know how else to explain it.
nik39 9:38 PM - 30 October, 2004
What is a double vinyl sound?
Revolutionary 9:43 PM - 30 October, 2004
Hmm. I think what he's trying to say is that if the things he ripped would sound like vinyl, would playing it thru SSL give it that vinyl sound twice? Kind of hard to explain though.
feniks 9:54 PM - 30 October, 2004
no double vinyl sound as the sound is coming from your laptop not the control record. your songs will sound exactly as they are recorded. no added vinyl crackles, hiss or rumble.
Revolutionary 10:08 PM - 30 October, 2004
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, man.
dj dawn 1:48 PM - 31 October, 2004
Can someone give me a suggestion of a vinyl ripping program??
Revolutionary 1:52 PM - 31 October, 2004
www.scratchlive.net Check out this post for some information, man...