Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

How to hook up to secondary video source with new Macbook Pro

DJ Merk 11:12 PM - 2 December, 2008
I have the new Macbook pro which has a minidisplay port for video out instead of the old mini dvi like previous macbook's have. Does anyone know what I need to get my Video SL running correctly to like a video setup with an S-Video or RCA input?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:10 AM - 3 December, 2008
You need to go to an Apple store and buy the new fancy video adapter. They should have a verity of different output options available.
DJ Merk 12:14 AM - 3 December, 2008
I went and they only have Minidisplay output to like DVI or VGA
DJ Pimp 3:18 AM - 3 December, 2008
Quote:
You need to go to an Apple store and buy the new fancy video adapter. They should have a verity of different output options available.

Can you post a link, so we know exactly what are you talking about?
Thanx
D-Twizzle 3:37 AM - 3 December, 2008
It's going to be a 3rd party adapter/converter. Just something that converts VGA to Composite or S-Video. Something comparable to this: www.svideo.com
Eskei83 3:26 PM - 3 December, 2008
but that's the problem with the new macbook and macbook pro. there's no analog signal in the mini display port out ... so u can't switch to analog signal with a adapter, like s-video or RCA. That's sucks
D-Twizzle 6:08 PM - 3 December, 2008
You have to get the minidisplay port to VGA adapter from Apple first:
store.apple.com

Then get from that adapter, you have to go into another adapter like I mentioned above.
You basically have to spend an extra $80-100 to get it to work, instead of the old $20-$30 adapter.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:36 PM - 3 December, 2008
Thanks for the assist guys :)
lvmez 6:59 PM - 3 December, 2008
i just went through the same problem. i'm sticking with vga for now. my lcd and projector both have vga inputs. it's going to be a while before you can use s-video.

try this product for s-video. www.ramelectronics.net
DJ Merk 7:51 PM - 3 December, 2008
And I also didnt know it was NECESSARY to have the Rane mixer to use it. There's no way around that is there?
eder 10:37 PM - 3 December, 2008
LMAO where have you been?
Rebelguy 2:25 AM - 4 December, 2008
Quote:
And I also didnt know it was NECESSARY to have the Rane mixer to use it. There's no way around that is there?

Wow.
DJ Merk 3:27 AM - 4 December, 2008
I have the regular Serato set up but my promoters have a Friday night at a video lounge. the club has all that Pioneer DVD stuff but, I was like I can just get the Serato Video.... but apparently im gonna have to buy $2000 worth of stuff to make it function... which is dumb but whatever. Preciate the help yall. Im out
eder 3:29 AM - 4 December, 2008
haha dumb? I'm so glad you're extremely educated on what VSL is and how it works. Tool.
DJ Merk 3:36 AM - 4 December, 2008
If I was extremely educated on how it worked I wouldnt have asked a question. Why do people try to jump fly over the internet? Be easy eder
Eskei83 7:26 AM - 4 December, 2008
Quote:
i just went through the same problem. i'm sticking with vga for now. my lcd and projector both have vga inputs. it's going to be a while before you can use s-video.

try this product for s-video. www.ramelectronics.net

the ramelectronics converter is dope. i'll check it.
lvmez 8:02 PM - 4 December, 2008
let me know how it works for you. a tech from apple gave that suggestion.
dj hes 8:18 PM - 4 December, 2008
I got a converter lik that, but it still sucks I think, i try not to go into a deep depression because I have this fancy new macbook and fancy new 57 mixer, but I have to have a clusterphuck of cables hooked up to my converter so i can freaking disply my videos thru s-video.

unless the club reruns all the wires for vga or dvi, i have to plug in a bunch more wires.

also my adaptor (vga to svideo) has a plug in for usb but guess what...57 = 1 and external = 2...so i have no room for this beacause...guess what??? NO FIREWIRE PORT!

Nice work apple. another 1 step forward, and 2 steps back.

other than that, i love my new macbook...lol
DJ DisGrace 6:23 PM - 6 December, 2008
stand alone converter:

www.kramerelectronics.com

or

you'll just need a BNC-RCA adapter if you're using everyday composite video cable
DJ Pimp 7:53 PM - 6 December, 2008
Quote:
stand alone converter:

or

you'll just need a BNC-RCA adapter if you're using everyday composite video cable

300 duckets, not bad at all..
evader 2:55 AM - 17 February, 2009
Quote:

300 duckets, not bad at all..

it used to be a 30$ adapter, that's 1000% increase just to get composite video out of a new mac... And there was a cheaper converter posted above... Am I missing something?
lvmez 3:20 AM - 17 February, 2009
www.aver.com

try this. it seems to work with the new unibody macbook pro.
djchrischip 3:40 AM - 9 March, 2009
wait can u go mini dvi to dvi then that into a second adapter that goes into s video or composite (rca)?
DJTaino 5:08 PM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
www.aver.com

Have you tried this device?
lvmez 6:13 PM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
www.aver.com

Have you tried this device?

i'm currently using this device. it works great with the new unibody mbp. get it from amazon, a little cheaper.
DJTaino 8:35 PM - 21 March, 2009
It looks like it works from DVI or VGA to S-Video or Composite, is that correct?

What do you think of this one? It will be MiniDisplay to VGA then to this www.amazon.com
lvmez 3:27 AM - 22 March, 2009
that will not work. the new unibody does not support s-video. you need an adapter like the quickplay or converter box.
DJTaino 3:41 AM - 22 March, 2009
OK thanks...
Docta Dawe 7:42 PM - 27 May, 2010
One of the clubs I play at only has Composite video in. I have seriously bought every adaptor in the book to make this work, I am almost there but still have a problem. I bought a "Mini Displayport to VGA" adaptor, then a "Video Converter box". One of the outputs on the box is Composite vid so I can plug that into the club. Problem is, it shows the same image as my computer screen to run Serato vid, as you all know, I need the output to be a secondary screen basically.

If this was covered I apologize in advance for not picking up on it. This video adaptor stuff is not my strong point. From what I am seeing I will need a more advanced video converted box than the one I have to have a secondary screen output? If I am correct with that can someone point me to the right converter box?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:06 PM - 27 May, 2010
go into your display settings and make sure its set to show as a second screen and not mirriring your desktop
DJ_Simple 6:13 AM - 8 June, 2010
I'm seriously frustrated with video-sl at the moment!!!! I have the exact same set up 13" MacBook pro running video-sl. I bought the mini display port to VGA adapter from the apple store and I know everything up to that point works because I tried it out on my desktop computer screen (VGA). My problem has been finding a VGA to RCA adapter that works.....I've tried three different ones so far and none work!!!! I even spent the $75 on the quickplay that is mentioned in this thread and still nothing!!!!! I have gone through the display settings and its all set up correctly (not mirrored) I've tried different screen resolutions and every possible input on a few different TVs!!!! Can I get a hand here to end this nightmare and FINALLY start putting all this to use! Video-sl is amazing with the 1.2 version and my ttm57 but what's the point if I can only play videos for myself on my laptop at the clubs (who only have RCA and not VGA)....
Docta Dawe 8:25 AM - 8 June, 2010
I am right there with DJ Simple. I have tried it all and still can't get RCA to work with the new Macbook Pro. I have the converter box and a million adaptors. All I can get it to do is mirror my desktop. It is very frustrating and I have spent a ton of money on adaptors. We need help!!! How do we do this right!?!?
eder 8:37 AM - 8 June, 2010
I have no problem with the quickplay. make sure you plug it into a usb slot and make sure you plug the RCA into the green rca jack. also, this isn't so much serato's problem as it is Apple's problem...
Charlie Five 10:30 AM - 8 June, 2010
Quote:
I'm seriously frustrated with video-sl at the moment!!!!

Ummmmm...Your problem has nothing to do with V-SL. The issue is that your computer can only output a digital signal and you are not getting the proper hardware needed to convert it to the 'lowest' quality analog signal.
DJ_Simple 4:18 PM - 8 June, 2010
@ Charlie five-good point my problem IS mainly with Mac and I'm not at all bashing video-sl or serato! They are both great!

@ eder-thanks for the heads up on the USB I should have tried that too. I have a usb splitter because the two ports on the macbook pro are not enough. I was able to get it working by using both the usb and vga connecters on the quickplay. Apparently the usb powers the grey controller part of quickplay which allows the signal to pass from the mac to the tv....
Charlie Five 4:51 PM - 8 June, 2010
Simple...You are correct. The Quickplay needs USB power. I use it. Works good. I have a beefier MBP but its the same digital output.
djsho_mvm 9:35 PM - 20 October, 2012
I'm new to video mixing I hooked everything up correctly I thought... But when I look at the tv the main serato screen appears instead of just the video?? Help
DJ DisGrace 9:38 PM - 20 October, 2012
Quote:
I'm new to video mixing I hooked everything up correctly I thought... But when I look at the tv the main serato screen appears instead of just the video?? Help

you'll need to go into your display settings and uncheck the "mirror" option