DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Discontinuation of the TTM57-SL

FranklinTheDJ 12:57 AM - 5 September, 2013
The fact that Serato is discontinuing support of the Rane TTM 57-SL with the release of Serato DJ 1.5.0 comes as a huge surprise to me and is entirely unacceptable.

The decision that many other DJs like myself have made to go with an integrated mixer seemed sensible at the time. Combine the timeless Rane TTM56 (note, I use the word "timeless" because it was not just rendered soon-to-be-unsupported by its manufacturer) with the Serato SL1 for an unstoppable combination. I'm incredibly saddened to say I now regret this decision, and this combination is now clearly stoppable.

The thing that boggles my mind about this decision is how is a consumer supposed to get comfortable purchasing a Rane Sixty-Eight, Sixty-Two or Sixty-One? Why would someone want to invest in something that is not going to be supported by future software releases? I believe Serato is setting an INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS PRECEDENT with this course of action. I, for one, take this as a clear signal that if Serato is capable of this, they are capable of making other sweeping consumer-unfriendly changes that might push me towards one of their competitors.

I wish the tone of this post was not so negative. I've enjoyed this product immensely over the past 5 years. I personally feel Scratch Live / Serato DJ are hard to beat. Customer service has been great and the product development has maintained a pace that has kept me happy as a consumer. And with all of that said, this is the first time that I've felt so betrayed by Serato. This is a sad, sad day for my perception of and relationship with Serato as a business.
djtraxs 1:32 AM - 5 September, 2013
I completely feel the same way. For a mobile dj the 57 was light and did the job. Why do we need to have a 4ch mixer? smh, We gave serato all the power now we just have to deal with it. They set the standard so we have no choice.
FranklinTheDJ 2:01 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
We gave serato all the power now we just have to deal with it. They set the standard so we have no choice.

Thank you djtraxs for sharing your thoughts. I couldn't agree with you more. We were the ones who enabled them to set the standard, the early adopters (SL1 DJs as well as the TTM57SL DJs). We are the guys that said "Hey, we believe in you Serato, you can build a much better platform". You would think we would be praised for our loyalty instead of deprecated.
djmello_mel 2:24 AM - 5 September, 2013
I think this is a crime for the TTM 57 users we all paid good money for our 57 mixer and now everything else is supported except for this mixer that is a bunch of bull! I love your product But you would have thought Rane would be more supportive of us real DJ's who use that mixer. and I was told before I bought this mixer that it was future proof future proof huh! Need real answers please! all my fellow TTM 57 Users make some noise on this come on rane please respond help us out.
dj dad-o 2:33 AM - 5 September, 2013
I don't usually post but I can't believe that my 57 and my back up sl1 are both going to be obsolete. Could we at least get a fair trade in value towards a new mixer?
dj ductape 2:45 AM - 5 September, 2013
Sorry to rant but you guys couldn't be more correct. The 57 offers functionality that the 62 does not. No one that cuts my checks has ever complained of its sound quality and most of us spin 320kps MP3s not FLAC files. These devices are simply a combination of a mixer, midi controller and an audio interface. Not old technology but current. We are not hooking up SCSI cables to our computers.

I am Serato 57 user only because I need a DVS system with MIDI control in a simple and stable form. What I dont need is a million knobs, flashing buttons and features that create instability. I own two 57s, so now I have to spend $4K on new mixers when my current ones are exactly what I need. To think, some poor DJ is going to waste $1500 on a 57 this week.

But hey, Sam said it. It was just too much work to make both a simple DVS and a controller based DVS at the same time.

DJ - 0 Serato - 1
JSkratch 2:50 AM - 5 September, 2013
I normally don't post either but man... this is crazy. I have played on the 61, 62 and 68 numerous times and by choice still rock my 57. I think that the 57 and dicers is the most comfy and best mixer setup I have ever had and that's from someone that has dj'ed for 24 years and is a mixer whore. I mean things change, technology advances ... blah, blah, blah but this one hurts.
djmello_mel 2:55 AM - 5 September, 2013
and not to mention that the new mixer is wider than the 57 now I need a new case for it too what a rip off
djmello_mel 2:57 AM - 5 September, 2013
Yeah it hurts alright
DJMark 3:23 AM - 5 September, 2013
The 57 was a great, revolutionary product in 2006 and it's still a great mixer.

You have to consider though:

1) the USB 1.1 connectivity has been increasingly difficult to support properly with newer computer hardware and operating systems (problems, of course, mostly but not entirely on the Windows side).

2) the newer software may place demands that the older USB 1.1 hardware simply cannot handle. No one would reasonably expect that Serato should indefinitely restrict the capabilities of its software to respect the limitations of USB 1.1 hardware indefinitely...

3) it costs, in both development/testing/debugging and support, additionally for every hardware product that a given piece of software has to support.

4) the current version of Scratch Live will work fine with the 57 and SL-1 indefinitely, and Serato said they'd provide bug-fix support for Scratch Live till 2015

5) the 57 and SL-1 may well have "status/cult/collector value" someday. Anyone seen using them will be known not to be using "sync", for one thing.

Just trying to give a bit of perspective here...
ernze 3:37 AM - 5 September, 2013
I was talking about the same thing and was censored. If they stop support for my OG 57 TTM I will never buy another rain product again. I will never sell out and buy on of them gay techno colored lights and buttons DJ mixers. I'm a hip hop DJ yes where still alive. Allot of people don't realized they made a cheaper version of the 57SL and that's why people are hating on them. The original is the best mixer ever made and I will challenge any others DJ that owns one of them gay mixers to a battle and I will win. Bet!
FranklinTheDJ 3:41 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
The 57 was a great, revolutionary product in 2006 and it's still a great mixer.

You have to consider though:

1) the USB 1.1 connectivity has been increasingly difficult to support properly with newer computer hardware and operating systems (problems, of course, mostly but not entirely on the Windows side).

2) the newer software may place demands that the older USB 1.1 hardware simply cannot handle. No one would reasonably expect that Serato should indefinitely restrict the capabilities of its software to respect the limitations of USB 1.1 hardware indefinitely...

3) it costs, in both development/testing/debugging and support, additionally for every hardware product that a given piece of software has to support.

4) the current version of Scratch Live will work fine with the 57 and SL-1 indefinitely, and Serato said they'd provide bug-fix support for Scratch Live till 2015

5) the 57 and SL-1 may well have "status/cult/collector value" someday. Anyone seen using them will be known not to be using "sync", for one thing.

Just trying to give a bit of perspective here...

DJMark, you make some great points here, and I believe that everything that you say is indeed correct. There are certainly some inherent limitations with respect to USB 1.1 standard, and there are real costs in supporting a larger hardware set as it continues to grow.

With that said, I'd point out that based on the responses in this nascent thread (definitely some response bias going on here...), the TTM57 is not an obsolete piece of hardware in the eyes of its users. People who have used subsequent mixers can appreciate among, other things, the simplicity and elegant interface of the TTM57. These are the same principles upon which Serato has based their software interface.

So if it is in fact still a preferred piece of hardware, then support really becomes a cost issue in my mind, as opposed to an interface constraint issue. This is a clear case of Serato saying that they want to consolidate and simplify codebases to limit their development costs and they are willing to make sacrifices in order to do so. While this is a good business practice, it should not be to the detriment of the existing user base. Especially if that user base is a core and relevant set of their customers.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that they make back these development costs on users like us. We are the users who spent upwards of $500 for an SL1 or $1500 for a TTM57SL and supported Serato since the start. Now, individuals spending $250 on a Pioneer WeGo will get a supported (and presumably) superior software product in the future.

It definitely stings and does not feel like the same user-centric Serato I've come to know over the years.
DJMark 3:47 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
I was talking about the same thing and was censored.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your use of "gay" as an epithet was likely the issue, not anything about the merits of the 57 vs newer products.

Out of any commercial message-board I've ever seen, the admins here have consistently respected the rights of users to express different opinions. Whatever I think of today's announcement (and my feelings are VERY mixed, to say the least), I'll always greatly respect them for that.

Serato is fighting in a tough competitive environment. Completely different game today, compared to the good old days of 2004-2008....
DJRUDEBOYY 3:47 AM - 5 September, 2013
Im irritated that now my great and always trustworthy ttm-57 is now not going to be supported... now i have to upgrade and buy a new mixer when my ttm57 works perfectly
Dj Composition 4:03 AM - 5 September, 2013
FUTURE PROOF!!!!! HA!!! I have had my 57 for over 6+ years and its one of the most solid dependable mixers i have ever owned! I have priced the 62 and the features cuz i know as a dj who carried crates & beat matched by ear that u must advance the culture! w the iPod/push button sync "dj's" u have to set the standard even higher than what the tech can do ez for those types. when the bridge came out i was excited to c something that could take the existing foundation and expand it. So i purchase ableton and the apc 40 to do just that. Take the foundation of djing and expand it not dumb it down. So after the news today i am left w 3 products that wont be any use. we already have to fight off cheap club owners/promoters and the $50 "dj" w a damn laptop! Now it seems as if one of our own has left us out in the cold for a few more bucks! smh

I feel like this serato should offer those of us w the sl1 & 57 a discount towards the newer products in show of support of those who supported them!
skyy 4:46 AM - 5 September, 2013
I'm with everyone on this page, i just cant believe this sh-t,Rane just know this,just like you jumped ship on 57& sl1 users,we will now do the same to you now.
DJMark 4:51 AM - 5 September, 2013
I wonder what the results would be if Serato were to "open source" both the legacy Scratch Live software and legacy hardware support?

It would be interesting to see if the userbase of the older hardware had enough enthusiasm to support such a thing.
Djkom 9:19 AM - 5 September, 2013
Hey dudes, if you are so pleased with your 57sl and SL1 using SSL, Why the hell do you want to upgrade to Serato DJ ?????? your set up is strong enough (no bugs, build quality...etc) to not be changed !!!! You're afraid this announcement will bring issues to your current gears ??? the answer is for sure NO and even if there are big issues I'm sure Serato team will do something !!! So stay with configuration and let the others evolve !

Finally the real question is WHAT FEATURE DO YOU WANT FROM SERATO DJ THAT SSL DOES NOT HAVE ???
and whatever will be the answer I can already guess that you're answering that you're not as "real" dj as you claim...
GoHoos 4:04 PM - 5 September, 2013
To the guy who is never buying any more "Rain" products ... I don't think they'll miss you.

And to the OP.... discontinuing hardware support for NEW software after almost 10 years is hardly "unacceptable." I'm as disappointed as everyone else that I don't have the choice of SSL anymore, but I think by continuing to support software no longer under development for more than a year, Serato is going above and beyond in that regard. Also, if you like your 57/SSL set up, you can keep it (no, really, you can, this isn't like the healthcare law).

Personally, I'm going to see if, when hardware support is added, I prefer to use SDJ with my set up of CDJ-2000nexus/Rane 68 combo (since 2Knexus HID support isn't perfect) or whether I prefer to stick with SSL. But I have no problem sticking with SSL if I don't like the new software. It does everything I need.
dj ductape 4:05 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Hey dudes, if you are so pleased with your 57sl and SL1 using SSL, Why the hell do you want to upgrade to Serato DJ ?????? your set up is strong enough (no bugs, build quality...etc) to not be changed !!!! You're afraid this announcement will bring issues to your current gears ??? the answer is for sure NO and even if there are big issues I'm sure Serato team will do something !!! So stay with configuration and let the others evolve !

Finally the real question is WHAT FEATURE DO YOU WANT FROM SERATO DJ THAT SSL DOES NOT HAVE ???

and whatever will be the answer I can already guess that you're answering that you're not as "real" dj as you claim...

I don't think this has anything to do with "real" DJs Kom what ever you define "real" as. I personally don't want to upgrade to Serato DJ and yes you are correct. My 57 will work with my current version of SSL forever. Forever as in, until I have to purchase a new computer that is not compatible with the old version of SSl 3 years from now. :)

Have you experienced Itch and the fool it can make of you while Djing live. I purchased a NS6 to make mobile gigs I didnt even care about easier and it was such an embarrassment from crashes, that it now collects dust. Over time, you will see.

This is also why Mix Emergency was created. Serato could not do the video job properly.

You speak of evolution but we want divergence.

Lastly, to answer your REAL question, Serato DJ offers what we don't want, not what we do want :) We want stability and simplicity. Most of us come from vinyl and early CD days simplicity worked then and still works now.
Mick Swell 4:15 PM - 5 September, 2013
Battling someone with a different mixer other than a Rane 57 and winning won't prove that the mixer that is not a Rane 57 is inferior. If your dope then your dope and you will win on whatever mixer you have. D-styles or Shortkut for example would destroy anyone on a vestax 06. Also, the non-DJs in the crowd watching don't care what type of mixer your using. Skills are skills.
kilo-watt 4:37 PM - 5 September, 2013
I'm riding it out with my ttm57 and SSL until I feel like dropping $1500 on a 62. It works great and has made me a ton of money. There's nothing in SDJ that I currently want or need that's worth spending that kind of money on especially if they're supporting the 57 until 2015.
Dj Rah EasTwooD 6:12 PM - 5 September, 2013
I love my ttm 57 as much as the next dj however WE all should have seen this coming years ago. There were already too much complaints with the 1.1 usb port which is non existent today on any device. Also keep in mind technically the production of the ttm57 was discontinued when the 61 & 62 was released. It's just that the mixers weren't made right things to make 57 users jump ship. I know one thing with all the protest being generated around I think rane my design an updated to 57 or redesign the 61 to appeal more to 57 users.
Djkom 7:52 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this has anything to do with "real" DJs Kom what ever you define "real" as. I personally don't want to upgrade to Serato DJ and yes you are correct. My 57 will work with my current version of SSL forever. Forever as in, until I have to purchase a new computer that is not compatible with the old version of SSl 3 years from now. :)

Have you experienced Itch and the fool it can make of you while Djing live. I purchased a NS6 to make mobile gigs I didnt even care about easier and it was such an embarrassment from crashes, that it now collects dust. Over time, you will see.

This is also why Mix Emergency was created. Serato could not do the video job properly.

Lastly, to answer your REAL question, Serato DJ offers what we don't want, not what we do want :) We want stability and simplicity. Most of us come from vinyl and early CD days simplicity worked then and still works now.

Your question is exactly like I expected. If you want simplicity and stability, your current setup is by far the best in the market. Serato Dj is still too young to be as stable as SSL. (remember that SL1 had some big issues in the first releases of SSL). Moreover If you have any issue with your laptop you can change it with few $$$ because you will not need the lastest high performance laptop...
ernze 8:34 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Battling someone with a different mixer other than a Rane 57 and winning won't prove that the mixer that is not a Rane 57 is inferior. If your dope then your dope and you will win on whatever mixer you have. D-styles or Shortkut for example would destroy anyone on a vestax 06. Also, the non-DJs in the crowd watching don't care what type of mixer your using. Skills are skills.

I can battle any one with a pmc05 an win against the new rain mixers. That's not the point. You can't win a battle with them long gay mixers if you where a battle DJ you would know that
ernze 8:50 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your use of "gay" as an epithet was likely the issue, not anything about the merits of the 57 vs newer products.

Out of any commercial message-board I've ever seen, the admins here have consistently respected the rights of users to express different opinions. Whatever I think of today's announcement (and my feelings are VERY mixed, to say the least), I'll always greatly respect them for that.

Serato is fighting in a tough competitive environment. Completely different game today, compared to the good old days of 2004-2008....

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know any word other then gay to explain how them mixers look. I didn't mean to afend anyone I'm just pissed off. I'm Starting my business soon and I was going to buy 2 more TTM. And now I Got to figure out what I'm going to use now. Most people that are on this board don't even know how to mix for real. The just match bpms you can teach a monkey how to do that. I use to get payed 3 bills a hour and now thes kids with no skills are charging $50 a hour kick us real DJs out of work. But you can't do what I do even with them cheater toys. You might as well be mixing on a ipad.
Profbx 9:10 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:

I don't know any word other then gay to explain how them mixers look. I didn't mean to afend anyone I'm just pissed off. I'm Starting my business soon and I was going to buy 2 more TTM. And now I Got to figure out what I'm going to use now. Most people that are on this board don't even know how to mix for real. The just match bpms you can teach a monkey how to do that. I use to get payed 3 bills a hour and now thes kids with no skills are charging $50 a hour kick us real DJs out of work. But you can't do what I do even with them cheater toys. You might as well be mixing on a ipad.

Dude.....if you are so proud of your Rane product, then at least get the name right, it isn't "Rain". And that is awesome that you didn't meen to "afend" anyone. I don't know what that means, but you might have 'offended' some people.

I've been DJing for 20 years. I've seen every trend come and go. I started on vinyl, and made the switch to DVS because it was convenient for gigging. Now, depending on the gig, I bring a controller or vinyl. Does that make me a fake DJ? Does it make me a fake DJ that I use Sync sometimes, even though I can mix by ear with wax and without a BPM counter by doing a tapping 4 count?

The TTM57 was an amazing mixer. That said, it is old tech. People don't get pissed when their 10 year old laptop doesn't support the latest Windows, but they get pissed when 10 year old hardware can no longer support the latest software. Seriously? They supported it as long as they could, and you are STILL GETTING BUG FIX UPDATES! Also, SERATO DJ HAS FEATURES THAT YOU TALK CRAP ABOUT, BUT SERATO SCRATCH LIVE WILL STILL WORK!!!

Seriously, just calm down.
dj vernon nyc 9:16 PM - 5 September, 2013
You what makes me about the deal is that i paid $1500 plus tax for a mixer that's way better than any other mixer on the market! I'm a vet dj i didn't ask Rane for a dj discount, went out and brought it no questions asked! And now this? I own a Pioneer DDJ-SX1 its great for in and out parties! But when the Turntables are brought out now i have to use my DDJ-Sx1.Rane should offer a big discount to all 57's owners if they want to upgrade to a 61or 62!Do you think Traktor would do this?
ernze 9:28 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
I wonder what the results would be if Serato were to "open source" both the legacy Scratch Live software and legacy hardware support?

It would be interesting to see if the userbase of the older hardware had enough enthusiasm to support such a thing.

Apple is open source if you are a programmer you can legally right new code when serato stops support. As long as you do t sell it or make profit
ernze 9:45 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Dude.....if you are so proud of your Rane product, then at least get the name right, it isn't "Rain". And that is awesome that you didn't meen to "afend" anyone. I don't know what that means, but you might have 'offended' some people.

I've been DJing for 20 years. I've seen every trend come and go. I started on vinyl, and made the switch to DVS because it was convenient for gigging. Now, depending on the gig, I bring a controller or vinyl. Does that make me a fake DJ? Does it make me a fake DJ that I use Sync sometimes, even though I can mix by ear with wax and without a BPM counter by doing a tapping 4 count?

The TTM57 was an amazing mixer. That said, it is old tech. People don't get pissed when their 10 year old laptop doesn't support the latest Windows, but they get pissed when 10 year old hardware can no longer support the latest software. Seriously? They supported it as long as they could, and you are STILL GETTING BUG FIX UPDATES! Also, SERATO DJ HAS FEATURES THAT YOU TALK CRAP ABOUT, BUT SERATO SCRATCH LIVE WILL STILL WORK!!!

Seriously, just calm down.

I get words confused because when I died in the hospital table for over ten minutes and had a stroke. But I know what I'm talking about. It's not that I'm cheap and can't afford to buy a knew mixer they just don't make one I would buy. I stick to the best. I still have my original MK2's and will never upgrade. I'm running serato on a 08 Mac book pro and my system runs perfect. The best for the best. I would use the original serato program but when apple updates there OS that's it no more.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:57 PM - 5 September, 2013
You can still use your 57 as the great mixer it is and just connect an SL 2 if you are looking for something to upgrade to. That's probably the cheapest option and would allow you to still use the mixer you love.
ernze 10:06 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
You can still use your 57 as the great mixer it is and just connect an SL 2 if you are looking for something to upgrade to. That's probably the cheapest option and would allow you to still use the mixer you love.

I was thinking of that but you might as well get a stocked old school rane with out serato because you won't be able to use any of the features. I'm looking into alternative mixers the quality in Rane isn't as good as it use to be.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:18 PM - 5 September, 2013
It's still rock solid build quality. The newer sound cards are also much higher quality than the TTM-57 was. I can understand if you don't like the look, the knobs etc though.

What other mixers are you looking at? You could always go the super classic route and cop a Technics sh-ex1200 with an SL-2.
ernze 10:24 PM - 5 September, 2013
If they would make a new version with only the 2 lines 10" and kept it into specs I would buy 2 of them for my business. Getting a 80g loan. I have to be up to date on the latest. I'm looking into alternatives but Rane use to be a rock.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:41 PM - 5 September, 2013
Fair enough, I would still say they are rock solid personally :) They have great tech support too!
dj ductape 10:44 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your question is exactly like I expected. If you want simplicity and stability, your current setup is by far the best in the market. Serato Dj is still too young to be as stable as SSL. (remember that SL1 had some big issues in the first releases of SSL). Moreover If you have any issue with your laptop you can change it with few $$$ because you will not need the lastest high performance laptop...

Kom, once again you are not thinking about or ahead of the market. I use a completely solid state Retina display. Everything is soldered in the board and nothing is up gradable as it is their premiere laptop, therefore you should not have to upgrade it. In fact, the only thing you can upgrade in a regular Macintosh laptop is the ram and hard drive which will not help in 6 years.

I bet you didn't expect that :)

P.S. If you guessed correctly then you would have known that I don't want the features. You stated, "Finally the real question is WHAT FEATURE DO YOU WANT FROM SERATO DJ THAT SSL DOES NOT HAVE ???

and whatever will be the answer I can already guess that you're answering that you're not as "real" dj as you claim"

Read what you write :)
dj vernon nyc 10:52 PM - 5 September, 2013
I hate to say this but that new Traktor mixer is looking like the deal of the year!
ernze 10:52 PM - 5 September, 2013
You have to upgrade if you want to run the newest OS I got a MacBook Pro 08 and modded it and now is as fast as the Macs coming of the line. I upgrade my OS because of my other programs. I couldn't care less about the new features
dj ductape 11:07 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
You have to upgrade if you want to run the newest OS I got a MacBook Pro 08 and modded it and now is as fast as the Macs coming of the line. I upgrade my OS because of my other programs. I couldn't care less about the new features

How did u mod it Ernze?
ernze 11:12 PM - 5 September, 2013
SSD, firmware update 8 gigs of memory, took apart and clean fan and housing "they show you how on YouTube" clean and reapply artic silver to processors and CPU. Do at your own risk! If you have electronic experience its kind of easy.
dj ductape 12:27 AM - 6 September, 2013
Nice!!! I have done the Ram and HD upgrade on my old one. My new ones stuck. I hate how they solder the Processor in though. Such BS but that's apple for ya. :)
ernze 1:03 AM - 6 September, 2013
Have you seen how they bake the logic board. Mine never fucked up like so didn't do it. The solder come loose from the heat from the processors if you clean the fans every couple years you should be fine. also you can over clock it but I didn't have to do that ether I run All new programs never had a problem.
Djkom 10:18 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:

Kom, once again you are not thinking about or ahead of the market. I use a completely solid state Retina display. Everything is soldered in the board and nothing is up gradable as it is their premiere laptop, therefore you should not have to upgrade it. In fact, the only thing you can upgrade in a regular Macintosh laptop is the ram and hard drive which will not help in 6 years.

I bet you didn't expect that :)

P.S. If you guessed correctly then you would have known that I don't want the features. You stated, "Finally the real question is WHAT FEATURE DO YOU WANT FROM SERATO DJ THAT SSL DOES NOT HAVE ???

and whatever will be the answer I can already guess that you're answering that you're not as "real" dj as you claim"

Read what you write :)

In fact, there were 2 possible answers, one with the need of Serato DJ features (my not "real" dj profile guessing) and the one without the need that I didn't want to mention because there answer is quite "obvious" moreover you have a mac => the discontinuation of the 57sl will not cause any new issues. The Technics turntables have been also discontinued but damn it works so far since more than 20 years! and I really think that the 57sl + SSL + macs (dedicated for the dvs) will do the same. The only weakness could be the laptop thing, but it can be "resolved" for a few $$$ with the second hand market....but this problem is inherent to computer management not only a question of software/hardware continuation or discontinuation ...

Hope it's cleared homie ;)
Joshua Carl 1:38 PM - 6 September, 2013
A sad day indeed.
but even the best battleships have to retire.

I for one thought, that because the 57 was such a game changing mixer that so many people had, that they would have to pretty much have to figure out a way to support it.

but, when we stopped carrying crates and started carrying laptops there were some trade-offs, and now we are starting to see those.
Technology Moves.
Personally I had a 52, a 54i, an Empath, a 57, and now I have a 62.
Each RANE mixer I bought did what I never thought it could do, outshine its predecessor.
but if anyone thinks for a second Rane's quality is slipping you clearly arent doing your homework... and if the last mixer you have from them is the 57. Then you have no basis for comparison anyways other then heresay and maybe a few times messing with a newer mixer, so whats the point....

While the 64 seems like a laterally designed mixer (no crazy new features, alot of fixes to the 68 design flaws, and implimenting the best of the 62) Ive been waiting for a 3/4 channel USB2.0 Mixer [that wasnt such a beast like the 68)
[ehhemmmmm empath????? lmfao jab jab jab]

So, here we are... at one of the first Impasse we will come to in the post-vinyl days.
The first stand-a-lone DVS mixer solution has pretty much run its course on the software side.
Its still an excellent mixer.
I will keep mine, and never sell it.
I keep mine hooked up and use it for listening to records.
software changes, hardware evolves... its a sad truth

Depending when in 2015 SSL will officially be put to rest you still have another 2 years to do your business with it.
But Id be hardpressed to find a performance DJ in 2005 who was still using the same mixer he bough in 1997, Im sure there are a few, but they are rare.
if you thought in a technology driven game you were gonna use the 1st Generation interface for 10 years I dare say you were either delusional or just ignorant to how quick technology moves.

As far as "gay lights"...lol.
I dont know about you personally. but most serious DJs I know value the performance,quality,reputation of a mixer CONSIDERABLY higher than how it looks... Although, I will say I have plenty of gay friends who do favor looks over functionality.

You can still find a SL2 for cheap and call it day.
and perhaps (as I suggested in other threads) Rane can come up with a firmware update to make the 57 buttons midi Mappable. [basically turning the usb1.1 into a midi port]
DJ MDX 3:57 PM - 6 September, 2013
Forgive my technical ignorance here, but could someone upgrade the USB 1.1 to 2.0 - Is that just not possible - too simple of a theoretical solution???
nik39 5:50 PM - 6 September, 2013
Not possible. Too many things tied to it.
ernze 10:13 PM - 6 September, 2013
What about a firmware update I had USB problems with other products and that usually fixed it. I don't know what people are talking about the sound card i have the original 57SL I have monitors and my signal is crisp. It might be that you connect to 1/4 jack try using the XLR. I have no signal interference.
Joshua Carl 1:23 AM - 7 September, 2013
It is a superior sound card. Higher rate. It's science, not a matter of opinion.
ernze 1:42 AM - 7 September, 2013
there is such a thing as sounding to digital. I like depth to my recordings but I DJ HipHop. I never mixed on one of the new mixers but i played with them at guitar center and was not impressed. I only really care about the quality of the crossfaders and how the design is. can you take the cover plate off and take a pic show me what it looks like inside where the crossfaders and lines are and I can tell how good the quality is. email me a pic ernze@ernze.com.
Dj Wunder 5:20 AM - 7 September, 2013
Really well said Joshua Carl (long post) I'm boggled by the complaints all over the boards "Oh newooo! The lights on my 57 will shut off in 2015 and I'll never be able to use it again!" I will always have my old 2008 MBP with SSL, Ableton, The Bridge, and M.E. connected to the 57 and TTX's in a corner of the studio. I mean if you only knew how many hours I spent modding the macbooks keyboard to look like a light-up overlay dl.dropboxusercontent.com

That rig isn't going anywhere, and I'll be able to enjoy all it's benefits for decades.
DJMark 10:02 AM - 7 September, 2013
I've replaced a 57 in one install with a 62.

The 62 absolutely sounds better (if anything, it's "less digital", not more), and doesn't have the "limited internal headroom" issue the 57 has.

"Limited internal headroom" = crank up the input gain knobs, listen to peak limiter kicking in.
ernze 3:04 PM - 7 September, 2013
I'm not talking shit about the quality of sound on the new mixers I believe they sound good, but I have no idea what you talking about. The only reason to record a high sample rate is to edit your mixes. 16 bit is CD quality and when you convert your mixes to mp3 you loose all of that. I don't edit my mixes. Two turntables one mixer one take. The problem you where having with the 57 sounds like you where clipping. And the new mixers have a protection for that, that's a good idea but if you learned the basics of mixing you would know that you have to keep your levels right. I use to engineer ProTools so I know what's up. Thes new mixers are cool but you should learn the basic fundamentals. Also I mix Vinyl and never fucked with the CD's so it might be deferent. I mix real vinyl with Serato To get that authentic sound.
Joshua Carl 4:47 PM - 7 September, 2013
ugh.....

ok, the 62 has a 24bit, 48khz Rate and Depth
which translates to more data and a deeper richer, more like Analog final product out of the mixer, the more data, the less Digital sound.

the 57 (and the SL1) have a 16 bit.

again, science.
The 62 and sl2-4 have superior sound quality, not a matter of opinion...
Its like thinking a 192 MP3 file sounds as good as a 320.
ernze 7:15 PM - 7 September, 2013
Dude I believe you but I don't think you under stand what I'm saying. When you convert your mix to mp3 it doesn't matter if its 16 bit or 24 bit it will sound the same. If your recording for studio production I see how that would be handy but no one plays wave files anymore. The only beef I have with Rane is they use to make mixers for hip hop DJs and now the only cater to techno DJs. If They would make a new battle mixer I would buy one. You can always buy a drum machine midi controller and have it on the side. Rane is still the shit If people like me wouldn't give advice the research and development will never make another battle mixer. I'm not the only one that thinks this way, I know other DJs that say the same thing and haven't upgraded sense the 57.
gfella 8:52 PM - 7 September, 2013
Quote:
The only beef I have with Rane is they use to make mixers for hip hop DJs and now the only cater to techno DJs. If They would make a new battle mixer I would buy one.

Look man, I feel sorry for you that your 57 will not be supported with SDJ, but your arguments about Rane not making mixers for hiphop dj's makes no sense.
The 62 is best battle mixer you can get, hands down.
Only downside is it's price.
Maybe you don't like the look, each to his own, but nothing at this moment comes close.
I have a djm 909 and a ttm56 as backup, they once were the best but no competition for the 62.
That's how it goes.
I'm a oldschool dj and spin since the 80's and have had numerous mixers, I know what I'm talking about.

Since the 57 is digital, I would not connect a SL2 to it because of the extra AD/DA conversion.
For normal mixing fine but for scratching it may feel unnatural to you because of added latency.
Get a 61 with a controller, or keep it old school and go ttm56 with sl-2 wich still is a good setup.
ernze 10:13 PM - 7 September, 2013
Yeah I hear you but I wouldn't even use half of what that thing can do. 2gs is allot I'm a 2 turntable one mixer guy. And it looks like a couple inches wider will makes a deference when beat juggling. And i dont see any transform toggle thats one of my fav features If it goes down to 1500 maybe but I can do them same effects with my ipad app.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:12 PM - 7 September, 2013
You could get a Sixty-One then ernze?
gfella 11:20 PM - 7 September, 2013
Yes, 2gs is a lot of money but here in Europe you can add at least 500 to that, so you americans are lucky;)
And yes, transform toggles can be fun.
The 62 is wider than the average battle mixer, but you get used to it in 3 minutes when juggling.
But in your case I would consider the Rane 61 because you have latest technology and good sound, controlled together with your Ipad is a nice combo and cheaper than the Rane 62.
And most important: supported in SDJ.
ernze 11:31 PM - 7 September, 2013
I was checking it out looks cool that might work. Do you know if the 61 model has the magnetic crossfaders? and what happens when usb4 comes out or what ever next will serato stop support for these mixers to.
gfella 11:42 PM - 7 September, 2013
Quote:
. Do you know if the 61 model has the magnetic crossfaders?

Yes all magnetic faders.

Quote:

and what happens when usb4 comes out or what ever next will serato stop support for these mixers to.

Lol, I do not have a crystal ball and can look in the future but I think Serato can only answer this.
ernze 11:58 PM - 7 September, 2013
I know right. Cool the 61 is way cheaper all I care about is the sound card and the faders. This guy at guitar center told me they stopped putting in the magnetic faders because they dont need to be replaced. when i owned my pmc 05 I would go through a crossfader ever 3 months.
gfella 12:29 AM - 8 September, 2013
Which series was that mixer,I had the first one back in the late 90's I believe.
That guy at the store is full of shit, but what else is new.
Have you modded the cut-in on your 57, or was it sharp from day one?
I modded a lot of 56's including mine, but the 62 was sharp out of the box.
ernze 1:20 AM - 8 September, 2013
I had a vestax PCM 05 and 07 sold it when I got my Rane. I'm in AZ right know I went to guitar center with my tools so I could take of the face plate on some mixers so I could look at the cross fader, there like you can't do that. They know me in Denver but yeah he said Rain wasn't making money and changed the design. On the 57 I reflowed the solder what mod did you do?. I take apart all my toys and look how there made and the soldering if there's cold points or where the parts are made from. That's why I liked Vestex Them mixers are great but the cross faders always go out. Rane is top quality built at least the 56 and the 57 the only ones I took apart. I'm shure the 61 and the 62 have to be on point.
DJMark 1:44 AM - 8 September, 2013
Never NEVER take comments from Guitar Center employees seriously.

The idea that "Rane wasn't making enough money on replacement faders so they went to cheaper parts" is just plain wrong. I've owned a 57, then a 68, now a 62. Faders in the 62 are, if anything, better than those in the 57. Partly due to use of different lubricant on the fader rail.

Vestax is in a much lower category of both electronic circuit design and internal parts/build quality than Rane. They spend the big bucks on the faceplate.
ernze 1:53 AM - 8 September, 2013
Do you use Deox It fader F5? I use to use regular electronic lube and they said to use that.
gfella 11:18 AM - 8 September, 2013
I use Deoxit that came with the Innofader I use in my 909, got to find the new Dupont lube in my area and try it.
Did you test some mixers?
ernze 4:28 PM - 9 September, 2013
Quote:
I use Deoxit that came with the Innofader I use in my 909, got to find the new Dupont lube in my area and try it.
Did you test some mixers?

I want to test mixers that would be the best job.
Joshua Carl 5:35 PM - 9 September, 2013
yeah, magnetic faders need all purpose Teflon
dj.rane.com

before they landed on the teflon from Dupont, I was using a teflon base electronics lube from Archer..
but they had initially had us using this Chainsaw Lubricant
www.walmart.com

faders are soooo butter.
YZ 6:48 PM - 9 September, 2013
I was mad at the whole 57SL thing too for a minute but took a step back and figured to figure out why and found the truth and here's what I came up with.

Because everyone is a frign' DJ these days, there are a sh*t-ton more requests from push play molly poppin'\edm midi monsters to have things like customizable light-bright buttons, more usb ports to plug in all their, ean golden play-school my 1st DJ like devices, midi contraptions, scratch sound makers and sync controllers... thus out-numbering what the classic 2-channel DJ would request in ridiculous numbers.

ANSWER: Manufacturers have to cater to the majority. Thanks Wack DJs!
Joshua Carl 7:14 PM - 9 September, 2013
yup, theres not alot of money in selling a software license once.

hence we saw a MASSSSSSIVE influx of "limited edition"control vinyl.
new hardware companies were brought in.

and the shelflife of a controller is probably 2-3 years (figuring the person will HAVE to upgrade to stay technologically relevant.

where as if it was possible people would, and could use the RANE hardware for 10-15 years
(provided it could keep up with the software advances)
because on the hardware side they are pretty much the best there is....
gfella 8:14 PM - 9 September, 2013
Quote:

Because everyone is a frign' DJ these days, there are a sh*t-ton more requests from push play molly poppin'\edm midi monsters to have things like customizable light-bright buttons, more usb ports to plug in all their, ean golden play-school my 1st DJ like devices, midi contraptions, scratch sound makers and sync controllers!

Sad but true.
Well said.
ernze 8:30 PM - 9 September, 2013
I thought it was a fad like them shoes with the lights on them. But I still have hope there's to many old schoolers in the game.
gfella 8:58 PM - 9 September, 2013
Quote:
. But I still have hope there's to many old schoolers in the game.

I'm 43 now, I said once to myself I can't imagine doing this shit when I'm 30.
Just can't stop..
Please help me!
Mike Solo 2:04 AM - 10 September, 2013
Hi Serato Professionals it's Mike Solo!
I am also sad about the news. I've owned one for years and it's been rock solid for me too.

I applaud all of you for the heart and loyalty you have to the great TTM57-SL mixer.

the truth,
-DJ Mike Solo
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 4:25 AM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Forgive my technical ignorance here, but could someone upgrade the USB 1.1 to 2.0 - Is that just not possible - too simple of a theoretical solution???

As Nik39 said, it's not possible to change to USB 2.0. Well, actually, I can't be sure of that, anything is possible, but I would take a guess that any mod like that would cost more than 5 new mixers.

It's also not just that the 57 is USB 1.

We looked long and hard at how we could support the 57. It's a great mixer, and we know how many venues have them installed and how many people love them. But it was designed 8 years ago. That's a long time in technology. We used to roll our own drivers for it and exploit loop holes we found in the USB 1 spec to get the performance we wanted out of it. We're shifting to using industry standard technology because ultimately the way we supported the 57 in Scratch Live really slowed us down. There were some more standard drivers made for it in the distant past, but they were pretty primitive, by no means high performance - not the kind of thing that would work for the low latency needed for DVS.

A bit of trivia for you. Did you know that the 57 doesn't technically have enough audio channels to record your mix? We found a work around that meant that we could free up an extra channel for recording. It was a real win at the time, but it's that sort of 'workaround' that has meant that we just can't bring it across to Serato DJ.
DJMark 5:05 AM - 11 September, 2013
Interesting background there....I had never heard the part about not enough channels to record a mix before.

I do recall there was a long time between the 57 being announced and 57's actually shipping...I guess maybe some of those work-arounds and special tweaks to USB 1.1 might explain some of that.

What was done with that mixer is in every sense a real piece of technical history.
ernze 6:23 PM - 11 September, 2013
they should had used usb 2 in the first place, it was out for years before the mixer was made. You couldn't even run serato on a computer that runs usb 1.
DJMark 6:49 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
they should had used usb 2 in the first place, it was out for years before the mixer was made. You couldn't even run serato on a computer that runs usb 1.

I remember very well when that mixer came out. A lot of supported hardware at the time *did not* have USB 2.0 connections. Moreover, enabling USB 2.0 connectivity on computers with the right USB ports would have increased CPU usage, which at the time would have presented problems of its own.
ernze 7:01 PM - 11 September, 2013
But why didn't they update the newer 57 models there still selling them new online
nik39 7:08 PM - 11 September, 2013
The production of 57s have stopped more than a year ago. What you see in shelves is backstock from dealers /distribution, not the manufacturer. I have asked some time ago for 57s.they stopped making them. Really.
DJMark 7:09 PM - 11 September, 2013
They updated the 57. And renamed it "62".

Seriously, there would have been a hell of a lot more than just slapping in a USB 2.0 port on the same mixer, and a whole new layer of both hardware/software compatibility testing.

Sometimes what seems "simple" isn't really simple at all.

Also consider these aren't products mass-produced in anonymous Chinese factories and sold in quantities of millions. R&D and support costs get spread over a relatively small number of units in this case.
ernze 7:19 PM - 11 September, 2013
Yeah I know all about China. That's why Rane is the best quality. I wish that it was legal to use lead in the solder, that's the only problem with newer equipment. I reflow the board with lead.
DJ MDX 8:43 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

As Nik39 said, it's not possible to change to USB 2.0. Well, actually, I can't be sure of that, anything is possible, but I would take a guess that any mod like that would cost more than 5 new mixers.

We looked long and hard at how we could support the 57. It's a great mixer, and we know how many venues have them installed and how many people love them. But it was designed 8 years ago. That's a long time in technology. We used to roll our own drivers for it and exploit loop holes we found in the USB 1 spec to get the performance we wanted out of it. We're shifting to using industry standard technology because ultimately the way we supported the 57 in Scratch Live really slowed us down. There were some more standard drivers made for it in the distant past, but they were pretty primitive, by no means high performance - not the kind of thing that would work for the low latency needed for DVS.

A bit of trivia for you. Did you know that the 57 doesn't technically have enough audio channels to record your mix? We found a work around that meant that we could free up an extra channel for recording. It was a real win at the time, but it's that sort of 'workaround' that has meant that we just can't bring it across to Serato DJ.

Sam,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'll tell you, I really love my 57 and it has been a workhorse since day 1 and I do mean almost day 1 of its release. I have one the very 1st batch releases and it has made me plenty of money many times over what I paid for it. It actually financed the 68 I now own. I was recently contemplating getting a 62 and then this announcement came out. So I think I will wait on my next purchase to see what the new updates bring to the 68 vs 64 other than some of the obvious specs already posted. My decision is based on the public beta will be released around the same time for both the 62 & 68 for SDJ so it makes not sense, for me, to get it until then.

However, I do plan to stick with Rane. Rane has been rock solid for me and we have very few companies that have, "Made In The USA," that scream awesome quality, customer service, and support! Unlesss something changes, my next mixer purchase will be a Rane, which one, remains to be seen. I'd still have my SL1 as well but I sold that a couple of years ago to a budy that had all his stuff stolen, needless to say I basically gave it away - it served us both very well!

I will keep my 57 for now, lets see what comes up down the line - 2015 is still some time away ;-)
DJ MDX 9:14 PM - 11 September, 2013
Oh I forgot to mention I also still have my G4 Mac that still has SSL on it and it and it still works - damn, I forgot all about that - the memories, the memories - so there is still life in an end-of-life product/software that still works from that point. This was pre-Itunes and then into its infancy, I think it was called Sonic that Apple bought and turned into iTunes......How's that for history from this Old-School DJ - Gotta Love It!
DJ MDX 9:20 PM - 11 September, 2013
Sorry, not Sonic - It was SoundJam!
Asu 12:04 AM - 12 September, 2013
I think for those with the 57 and SL 1,you're complaining for no reason...you have usb 1.1 devices that are still gonna be working with the current version of scratch live and video or ME...just keep using that.

However if you want the upcoming serato DJ 1.5 then upgrade...it's that simple...like i said serato will financially Collapse if they have to keep spending on old tech and R&D for free...how will the company survive if i buy one unbreakable mixer(RANE) every 10years...no wonder the updates were always slow...

You DJ every weekend at the least and bring in all this money...while serato only got money from you 7 years ago when you bought that 57 mixer or SL 1 sound card...

Let's be fair... 9-10years of support is more than any other software companies go...USB 4.0 is in the works now...let's at least upgrade to 2.0 gear for the love of God and in all fairness.

Let's not be selfish...on the bright side scratch live will still work anyway even when official support ends in 2015...so what's the big deal...your mixer will still work just not with Serato DJ 1.5+ only with the current version of Scratch Live!

so you can sell or not...it's a win win for everyone :-)
Dj Wunder 6:19 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Yeah I know all about China. That's why Rane is the best quality. I wish that it was legal to use lead in the solder, that's the only problem with newer equipment. I reflow the board with lead.

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!!!
ernze 6:30 AM - 12 September, 2013
I got a respirator, lead conducts better. It's legal if you do it to your own equipment and if you sell it you have to tell the person you sell it to that you used lead solder.
Rane
TrevorW 6:25 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I got a respirator, lead conducts better. It's legal if you do it to your own equipment and if you sell it you have to tell the person you sell it to that you used lead solder.

Hey ernze, Im an electrical engineer at Rane. It is not true that lead provides better conductivity than our RoHS compliant, lead-free solder. We use two different types of lead-free solder. One that is 99.9% Sn (Tin), and one that is 96.5% Sn. In either case, they have approximately half the electrical resistivity than lead solder. Pure Sn has an electrical resistivity of ~115 nOhm*m, and pure Pb has an electrical resistivity of ~208 nOhm*m. The only down side to lead-free solder is that it requires more heat to melt. You can read more about these materials here: www.metallurgy.nist.gov, as well as information about the elements themselves on Wikipedia.

Quote:
I wish that it was legal to use lead in the solder, that's the only problem with newer equipment. I reflow the board with lead.

Rane does not recommend or condone attempts to resolder our equipment with lead solder. It is likely to damage the equipment, and handling lead is very dangerous and should be avoided.
DJMark 6:55 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I wish that it was legal to use lead in the solder, that's the only problem with newer equipment. I reflow the board with lead.

I thought I had seen every possible piece of bad advice regarding audio gear on these forums, but you have exceeded all expectations here.

Now re-read the post above this one a few times.

SMH x 1,000...
ernze 8:19 PM - 12 September, 2013
I do not recommend using lead solder that's my preference I was OSHA certified and know how to work with chemicals. I use lead based solder because of cold points that lead free solder makes. I never seen your new mixers and can't say anything about the quality but from my experience lead free solder tends to do that. I know old school engineers that use lead solder and computer repair shops it depends on the persons doing the work and there preference.
DJMark 8:24 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I use lead based solder because of cold points that lead free solder makes

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Just stop already...
ernze 8:26 PM - 12 September, 2013
What ever guy, this is suppose to be about the 57 if you want to take it to the tables we can do that. Your the ones going off subject.
DJMark 8:31 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Just stop already...
ernze 8:32 PM - 12 September, 2013
That's what I thought
DJMark 8:35 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Just stop already...
Joshua Carl 8:54 PM - 12 September, 2013
Yeah. Have a dance battle!
ernze 9:01 PM - 12 September, 2013
This is why I don't go on message boards
DJMark 9:07 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Yeah. Have a dance battle!

I'm Marky Mark, and I'm here to move you.

*inhales military-surplus silver-solder fumes*
DJMark 9:08 PM - 12 September, 2013
Dance I said, dance!

Watchwww.youtube.com
ernze 9:09 PM - 12 September, 2013
There should be a age restriction no little kids in the forum
Joshua Carl 9:11 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

www.gifsu.com
DJMark 9:11 PM - 12 September, 2013
Get the lead out!

Watchwww.youtube.com
ernze 9:12 PM - 12 September, 2013
I just called you out your the one that looks like a fool.
Joshua Carl 9:17 PM - 12 September, 2013
"Who's the fool. The fool or the fool that follows him"

That's 2 relevant Star Wars quotes back to back.

/end thread.
ernze 9:17 PM - 12 September, 2013
Nerd!
Joshua Carl 9:29 PM - 12 September, 2013
Why thank you handsome ;-)
DJMark 9:30 PM - 12 September, 2013
I got something to put in you...at the...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJMark 9:34 PM - 12 September, 2013
And why am I thinking of some kind of mashup of Armand Van Helden and The Village People? Geez this forum is affecting me weird this afternoon.

Must be the lead fumes, or all the gay cooties.

Readying table-saw to shave an inch off each side from my DJ Mister Cee Special Edition Sixty-Two...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 9:49 PM - 12 September, 2013
Chill out dudes. Get back on topic.
DJMark 9:51 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Chill out dudes. Get back on topic.

I'll always have the same kind of nostalgia for the 57 that I have for Digidesign Sound Tools/Sound Designer II.

There, I think we're back on topic.
Zeroaccess 9:56 PM - 12 September, 2013
LMFAO
Asu 9:57 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
What ever guy, this is suppose to be about the 57 if you want to take it to the tables we can do that. Your the ones going off subject.

Ernze,so what's your point,trying to keep the mixer for ever or what???

you can save on the mixer and screw with your life because i know excessive exposure to lead oxide fumes can result in lead poisoning or Cancer which costs way more...

Just sell the 57 or keep it and use Scratch Live,but don't play around with lead bro
Asu 10:01 PM - 12 September, 2013
If you want excellent conductivity and love the 57 that much....then use Gold :-) that's true love for the 57 right there...yeah!!!!
Joshua Carl 11:02 PM - 12 September, 2013
I really can't imagine not using a 24bit sound card.
That was one of my main reasons for buying a 62.

I still have my 57, it's hooked up and see's regular action with my vinyl.

But most of the venues I play at really prefer either the sl2/3/4 + pioneer
Or the 62.
My first night at a major MGM property I was told I couldn't use my 57 because the sound system had been tuned around the 900/sl4
I'm not one to argue with sound guys
But now at least they allow the 62 as well. (A year later)

I suppose if the best available sound quality isn't the number one concern of yours
You will do just fine staying on the 57/sl1.
Stick with scratch live And do your business.
But even if you don't want to ever move to scratch live u can stil have an excellent sounding mixer/soundcard
Asu 11:12 PM - 12 September, 2013
i too first noticed how thinner the sound from the 57 sounded when i started messing with traktor back when they came out with 24bit sound cards for Traktor...

yeah i'd also recommend an SL2+ or 62+ Mixer :-)
B-Fade 1:42 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:

man, this is enough. sure, there are a lot of morons like you in the forums, but you really try to make up a category of your own. talking all that trash about battlin and realness, do it.. Be sure I´ll answer it.
Company 2 4:45 PM - 13 September, 2013
The guy is a joke.
Mic Terror 10:03 PM - 13 September, 2013
I truly feel that Serato has turned there backs on all of us who had to deal with drop outs at clubs when they were perfecting their technology. I have stood by Serato when others said use Virtual DJ or some other software and I never budged. Controllers are great but my 57 is king. I really hope that they re-think this. There has to be some way to keep updates going. After End of Life is End of Service, and who is to say the same thing won't happen if I buy another battle mixer that is currently supported. Also technology will continue to change, will I have to buy another mixer when USB 5.0 comes out? Serato there is still time to stop this madness.
Asu 10:36 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
I truly feel that Serato has turned there backs on all of us who had to deal with drop outs at clubs when they were perfecting their technology. I have stood by Serato when others said use Virtual DJ or some other software and I never budged. Controllers are great but my 57 is king. I really hope that they re-think this. There has to be some way to keep updates going. After End of Life is End of Service, and who is to say the same thing won't happen if I buy another battle mixer that is currently supported. Also technology will continue to change, will I have to buy another mixer when USB 5.0 comes out? Serato there is still time to stop this madness.

so it's ok for you to make money every week/month for 10yrs but you only want to support serato once every 10 - 15 yrs???

Your 57 will still work with the current version of scratch Live/video/ME forever if u want that's more than enough...Serato has become very financially sound this year due to the volume of Controllers/new customers/Serato DJ and now new mixers for those/clubs who want one.we can all finally just run Serato DJ in the club or on Controllers for Mobile gigs.

Imagine if the club you work at paid you once (about $2000) every 10 - 15yrs,how would you pay your bills/survive??? Let's be fair,10yrs is more than any other companies out there.Wait when serato and Rane go Apple on you and put out new gear/software every 8months lol...R&D requires money and the best minds which have to get payed bro...Let's be real
DJMark 11:49 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
I truly feel that Serato has turned there backs on all of us who had to deal with drop outs at clubs when they were perfecting their technology.

When exactly are you talking about, and what hardware were you using?

Scratch Live was considered a somewhat resource-intense piece of software back in 2004-2005. The era when Mac laptops had G3 and G4 processors (with something like 1/10th or less of the hardware resources of modern Mac laptops), and Windows laptops had those god-awful Pentium 4 Space Heaters that often cooked themselves to death.

Anyone who bought an SL-1 back in that era (or a TTM57 soon after) got many years of free upgrades. Both functionality and stability enhancements. I call that one hell of a good return on investment from the user's viewpoint. Other companies in that same timeframe charged users numerous times for "software upgrades".
Zeroaccess 12:27 AM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:

If you want to blame someone blame Intel for their new processors. That's why USB 1.1 is becoming more difficult to support.
thebuttonfreak 4:45 AM - 14 September, 2013
I've changed my mind on this. At first I was like, whatever, old tech, let it die. But they just stopped making that thing, I'd be pretty pissed if had only bought it last year and was now getting told I would never see another update. Those mixers weren't cheap and part of what you'r paying for is the free updates.
djmacklong 7:02 AM - 14 September, 2013
The vast majority of you are morons. Jesus.
Dj Wunder 7:48 AM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:

This

Quote:
...will I have to buy another mixer when USB 5.0 comes out?

Yes
Asu 4:39 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:

It's funny you Judge people and then use Jesus' Name :-)

State your opinion but let's not insult each other
djmacklong 4:56 PM - 14 September, 2013
^^^ Not a bible thumper.
DJ Mad Mix 12:15 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:

Sam, I get your point and I understand that it would be quite hard to support the sl1 interface with Serato DJ. So, although I'm very sad about that, I understand the decision to not support the sl1 anymore. But what I do not understand is, why the 57 is totally unsupported. I mean, you could make the 57 work as a controller for SDJ, so 57 users do "only" have to buy a new SL2/3/4/whatever interface. The tiny bandwith that is needed by the MIDI-like control signal can definitely not be limited by USB1.1.
So only buying a new interface would then be some kind of "upgrading" the 57 and I (and I assume many other 57 djs) would definitely continue using serato.
Totally not supporting the 57 seems like a selling strategy to get more people buying the new serato mixers. And I surely would not do that, as we know now, these 2k+ priced mixers would be good for only about 6 or 7 years. So, sad to say, but in that case I'd have to say goodbye to Serato.
As an idea for the future, you could start to equip newer mixers with MIDI ports so at least the control sections don't get obsolete. The very ancient MIDI protocol is still supported by most professional audio hardware. And that even it is more than 30 years old. Strange, huh?
Mic Terror 2:45 PM - 15 September, 2013
sigh,

Well I'm not getting into a pissing match with anyone here I said my peace to Serato as a consumer. My opinion is my opinion. The 57 isn't my only piece of gear that I have from Serato but it's my favorite piece of gear. Again I ask Serato to rethink their position. Even if It's a way to let me use Scratch and Serato DJ together so I can upgrade my Serato DJ compatible gear and still use Scratch
Asu 7:49 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Sam, I get your point and I understand that it would be quite hard to support the sl1 interface with Serato DJ. So, although I'm very sad about that, I understand the decision to not support the sl1 anymore. But what I do not understand is, why the 57 is totally unsupported. I mean, you could make the 57 work as a controller for SDJ, so 57 users do "only" have to buy a new SL2/3/4/whatever interface. The tiny bandwith that is needed by the MIDI-like control signal can definitely not be limited by USB1.1.
So only buying a new interface would then be some kind of "upgrading" the 57 and I (and I assume many other 57 djs) would definitely continue using serato.
Totally not supporting the 57 seems like a selling strategy to get more people buying the new serato mixers. And I surely would not do that, as we know now, these 2k+ priced mixers would be good for only about 6 or 7 years. So, sad to say, but in that case I'd have to say goodbye to Serato.
As an idea for the future, you could start to equip newer mixers with MIDI ports so at least the control sections don't get obsolete. The very ancient MIDI protocol is still supported by most professional audio hardware. And that even it is more than 30 years old. Strange, huh?

Quote:
sigh,

Well I'm not getting into a pissing match with anyone here I said my peace to Serato as a consumer. My opinion is my opinion. The 57 isn't my only piece of gear that I have from Serato but it's my favorite piece of gear. Again I ask Serato to rethink their position. Even if It's a way to let me use Scratch and Serato DJ together so I can upgrade my Serato DJ compatible gear and still use Scratch

Serato is still run as a business...you should know by now...10years is alot of support in the tech world...your arguments sound one sided to me still...

you wanna keep raking in the dough but you don't wanna upgrade...you never answered my question of you getting $2000 every 10years from the club you spin at....when you flip what you're saying it is 100% selfish and not supportive...

Let me give you an example Jim bought a 57 for $2000, 7years ago...he's been spinning only Saturdays for 10years...he get's about $400 every Saturday from this DJ company he's a part of...that averages out to $134,400 for the last 7years...not even counting those big gigs/special events we all get during the year that pay serious money.

so if you're telling me you don't want to upgrade after raking in all that cash then i have no more words for you...Serato needs our support,at least every 7years...upgrade your gear...i upgrade after 3...from macbook pros,speakers,mixers etc...

For the guy that just bought one,well i feel for them but Scratch Live still works forever if you wish it...but let's be fair to Serato as a business.
nemix 8:16 PM - 15 September, 2013
And the people that are just buying them now...if you're not doing any research before you buy gear it's either an expensive learning experience or they may be the type that doesn't care about all the new features that may be coming in the future.
beezwax 1:01 PM - 19 September, 2013
Does anyone know where I can complain to Technics about my SL1210's not playing MP3's? ;-)

Also, how much support do you get from Apple for out of warranty product? The answer for anything over 3 or 4yrs old is pretty much always - throw it away; you should have upgraded by now anyway.

I have a TTM57SL and it has been a great mixer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it will continue to work exactly as it does now with Scratch Live and the only catch is that I may not be able to upgrade to a new OS on my laptop (in several years time). That seems pretty fair to me....

I started with an SL1 10yrs ago and it's still going strong. I even still have (and sometimes use) the very same laptop. It has been way below the minimum specs for ages (really not joking here - 8" screen, 1Ghz!! Pentium M processor, 768Mb RAM) but it still works perfectly with the TTM57SL, SL1 and SL3.

Every piece of Scratch Live HARDWARE that Rane has made is amazing and will last for years. The build quality is way better than Pioneer and the rest and the product life cycle is much longer which is a bonus if you ever want to sell your old hardware to trade up.

As for the Serato software; how good is this forum?? There really is no comparison for the average users with the pitiful support that most people get from Traktor.
Serato have always listened to users requests and suggestions and I've frequently been amazed by the new features that I get for FREE on each update.

As someone mentioned earlier; it could well be a blessing in disguise - all those old school purists will be able to show that they are doing it the pure old school way; with no sync and only some of the modern bells and whistles :-0
beezwax 1:08 PM - 19 September, 2013
Out of interest, for those saying Rane or Serato should give us money for our SL1 and/or TTM57SL when we trade up - how much do you think is fair? The same as the second hand value on ebay? More than this? Or maybe they should give us a big discount on a new replacement and still let us keep our unsupported/old hat/useless equipment to sell on and get even more money back?
AKIEM 6:57 PM - 25 September, 2013
I just wish there was an 'updated' TTM57 which included fixes and features we were asking for. I don't think the 61 or 62 found because some of the best features from the 57 are missing. :(

Also, every time I play on a 62, invariably I mis the more solid feel of the 57. The loose easy twisting knobs on the 62 feel 'cheap' in comparison.
AKIEM 7:12 PM - 25 September, 2013
found =count
Asu 9:18 PM - 26 September, 2013
it is what it is ma man AKIEM...upgrade or downgrade....no inbetweens :-) get the 64 or stick to the 57
AKIEM 7:07 AM - 27 September, 2013
I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy a 62 with all the things I don't quite like about it. Not sure a can bare playing on it knowing I will never be able to assign a button to midi - yet it will continue with the same function.

And every time I've I've played on one, I have accidentally loaded the wrong song twisting the knob slightly when loading or trying to hit instant doubles.

How are all those buttons going to be al lit up and I can't even assign one to instant double or load a song.
Joshua Carl 12:45 PM - 27 September, 2013
why not use use midi layer 2-5?
and you can map it to whatever you want...
the only ones that retain functionality are the audio controls (gain, bass ect)

one of the things it takes getting used to was the instant double + using the prepare box.
(IE)
if your cursor was in the prepare window (with all the tracks you just searched for and put in there for play)
when you 2x click for the doubles, it will briefly load the track from the prepare box before the double loads over from the other deck.
AKIEM 4:16 PM - 27 September, 2013
I didn't know there was a midi layer. Bunch of questions I've had about these mixer have stayed unanswered....

So can you midi assign instant doubles to the cue buttons?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:27 PM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
I didn't know there was a midi layer. Bunch of questions I've had about these mixer have stayed unanswered....

You just have to ask buddy:)

Quote:
So can you midi assign instant doubles to the cue buttons?

Yes.. in MIDI layers 2-5.
Joshua Carl 4:30 PM - 27 September, 2013
DUDE, you can pretty much make 4-8 different midi layouts, for different kind of events on every surface (the layers are split on the mixer to Left and right(
AKIEM 4:31 PM - 27 September, 2013
serato.com

Here's some other questions about the 61
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:40 PM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:

Here's some other questions about the 61

Answered:)
AKIEM 4:51 PM - 27 September, 2013
Thanks
Mic Terror 3:33 AM - 28 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Asu...this is directed to you. So it's funny how people still want to push shit because they won't agree to disagree. If I buy a car for 20K I expect that shit to run for 10 to 15 years with out buying another one. Your analogy is fucking stupid as we are talking about products and not services. A bride will pay me $2K for a wedding and I will never hear back from her so yes its fair. On top of that If I buy a $2000 switch from Cisco I can turn that shit in for a discount off a new piece of gear. Open up your mind and stop Dick Riding Serato. The USB 1 argument makes sense, however some of us wanted another option. This is the problem with people today they stay on this righteous indignation shit and won't meet halfway. I've never went in on a person in these message boards before but you are a fucking idiot and I have already given you more than enough attention.

Quote:
sigh,

Serato is still run as a business...you should know by now...10years is alot of support in the tech world...your arguments sound one sided to me still...

you wanna keep raking in the dough but you don't wanna upgrade...you never answered my question of you getting $2000 every 10years from the club you spin at....when you flip what you're saying it is 100% selfish and not supportive...

Let me give you an example Jim bought a 57 for $2000, 7years ago...he's been spinning only Saturdays for 10years...he get's about $400 every Saturday from this DJ company he's a part of...that averages out to $134,400 for the last 7years...not even counting those big gigs/special events we all get during the year that pay serious money.

so if you're telling me you don't want to upgrade after raking in all that cash then i have no more words for you...Serato needs our support,at least every 7years...upgrade your gear...i upgrade after 3...from macbook pros,speakers,mixers etc...

For the guy that just bought one,well i feel for them but Scratch Live still works forever if you wish it...but let's be fair to Serato as a business.
SLK 8:48 AM - 29 September, 2013
First off -

Is it possible for Serato/Rane to provide an soundcard replacement module for the 57sl?

Now my 2c rant -

One of my key issues with the discontinuation of support for the 57sl is that the mixer itself is an incredibly robust piece of hardware that is likely to last decades. This is why I invested my money into Rane hardware.

I appreciate the technical reason why Serato can't continue to support the 57sl. But Rane has built such a awesome, simple and solid mixer that it seems pointless for the mixer to become a digital brick (but remain an awesome anolog mixer) when all we need to replace is the internal sound card.

On a broader note, I think part of the frustration here is to do with the constant forced and all most pointless evolution of Dj technology.

As Franklin pointed out in his initial post, his trust (as has mine) in Serato as a product company has been shaken. Or maybe my eyes have just been opened to the reality of digital Dj'ing.

This is not to say that I expected Serato to support the 57sl "forever". But this incident with the 57sl is forcing me to rethink my Dj setup. It has forced me to rethink how, what & where I invest my money in Dj technology.

All of us have watched the exponential evolution of Dj technology. This page here - serato.com is glowing example of how ridiculous it has become in a hardware sense to essentially mix two+ sources of audio together.

The problem with the discontinuation of support for the 57sl is that I am not sure that I will ever buy another Dj mixer, or a Dj controller. This event has made it clear to me that in a digital environment external hardware is practically obsolete (aside for vanity, aesthetic or preferential reasons). More importantly in a digital world hardware is guaranteed to become obsolete.

I recently got Tracktor Dj on my ipad because it was cheap and looked fun (which it is) While I haven't played a live gig using the system, it probably won't be to long before I do. Why? Because I can.

So a $24 dollar piece of software and a $500 piece of hardware can replace my $5000 mixer and turntable setup AND give me the same sort of interaction, spontaneity and control that I want.

I just can't see the justification for spending thousands on good quality Dj mixers anymore.

I love my 57sl and will no doubt spend frustrating hours maintaining old laptops for years to come just so I can mix my files on it. Heck I'll probably get a lathe and cut my digital files to acetate just to prove how much I love the damn mixer.

But personally. Its over for me in a hardware sense. I can't be bothered spending several thousands on another mixer when I can spend $100s for the same result with better future proofing.

In a digital Dj world there is little to no reason to invest anymore money in expensive high quality well built hardware. UNLESS it can be proven in advanced of purchase that the hardware elements can be made future proof to software evolutions.

uggh . idk .. frustrated, miffed ... sadly aware of the truth, but left feeling annoyed all the same. perpetual upgrades sux.
DJMark 11:10 AM - 29 September, 2013
Quote:
all we need to replace is the internal sound card.

It's not a "sound card", the audio interface is on a circuit board with a ton of other stuff.

The cost to engineer, implement, test and debug some kind of "audio interface retrofit" in a TTM57 would be very high. It would be a "rich geek labor of love" kind of project, not something one could reasonably expect from Rane.

How much would you personally be willing to pay for such a modification?
Asu 5:59 PM - 29 September, 2013
Quote:
First off -

Is it possible for Serato/Rane to provide an soundcard replacement module for the 57sl?

Now my 2c rant -

One of my key issues with the discontinuation of support for the 57sl is that the mixer itself is an incredibly robust piece of hardware that is likely to last decades. This is why I invested my money into Rane hardware.

I appreciate the technical reason why Serato can't continue to support the 57sl. But Rane has built such a awesome, simple and solid mixer that it seems pointless for the mixer to become a digital brick (but remain an awesome anolog mixer) when all we need to replace is the internal sound card.

On a broader note, I think part of the frustration here is to do with the constant forced and all most pointless evolution of Dj technology.

As Franklin pointed out in his initial post, his trust (as has mine) in Serato as a product company has been shaken. Or maybe my eyes have just been opened to the reality of digital Dj'ing.

This is not to say that I expected Serato to support the 57sl "forever". But this incident with the 57sl is forcing me to rethink my Dj setup. It has forced me to rethink how, what & where I invest my money in Dj technology.

All of us have watched the exponential evolution of Dj technology. This page here - serato.com is glowing example of how ridiculous it has become in a hardware sense to essentially mix two+ sources of audio together.

The problem with the discontinuation of support for the 57sl is that I am not sure that I will ever buy another Dj mixer, or a Dj controller. This event has made it clear to me that in a digital environment external hardware is practically obsolete (aside for vanity, aesthetic or preferential reasons). More importantly in a digital world hardware is guaranteed to become obsolete.

I recently got Tracktor Dj on my ipad because it was cheap and looked fun (which it is) While I haven't played a live gig using the system, it probably won't be to long before I do. Why? Because I can.

So a $24 dollar piece of software and a $500 piece of hardware can replace my $5000 mixer and turntable setup AND give me the same sort of interaction, spontaneity and control that I want.

I just can't see the justification for spending thousands on good quality Dj mixers anymore.

I love my 57sl and will no doubt spend frustrating hours maintaining old laptops for years to come just so I can mix my files on it. Heck I'll probably get a lathe and cut my digital files to acetate just to prove how much I love the damn mixer.

But personally. Its over for me in a hardware sense. I can't be bothered spending several thousands on another mixer when I can spend $100s for the same result with better future proofing.

In a digital Dj world there is little to no reason to invest anymore money in expensive high quality well built hardware. UNLESS it can be proven in advanced of purchase that the hardware elements can be made future proof to software evolutions.

uggh . idk .. frustrated, miffed ... sadly aware of the truth, but left feeling annoyed all the same. perpetual upgrades sux.

Nice rant SLK,you didn't without insulting anybody,that's a rant anyone here respects...but i do think you're wrong in one aspect.

Good gear is reliable for our gigs...as you stated,you can technically use the 57 still,it will still do the same job...but on the technical side of things,the world is moving at an incredibly faster pace technically in the last 10 to 15 years.

My take/principle with gear is you invest in it but get rid of it within 3 to 5years before it breaks down or loses value...that's the only way to ensure you stay ahead...

i put up the gear for sale every 3 to 5years...top off a little bit and get the next best thing...we're all running a business model weather we like it or not and must be on the move....that's my 2 cents
Dj Wunder 2:57 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
...On a broader note, I think part of the frustration here is to do with the constant forced and all most pointless evolution of Dj technology.

In a digital Dj world there is little to no reason to invest anymore money in expensive high quality well built hardware. UNLESS it can be proven in advanced of purchase that the hardware elements can be made future proof to software evolutions

Thanks SLK, this may be the one valid argument on this issue that I've come across here. The talented and hard-working members of this forum are unfortunately vastly outnumbered by the broke-ass crybaby johnny-come-lately youtube-rip newjacks that wanna whine about how expensive it is to be a DJ (duh) and the recent reactions to the SSL - SDJ transition (outside of yours here) have made this disparity painfully clear.
boabmatic 7:57 AM - 30 September, 2013
@SLK..
but ipads go obsolete pretty quickly too, with a lot of the current DJ apps requiring a minimum of ios6 which doesn't run on all ipads.

So if you had bought an earlier ipad you would require an upgrade to a newer model to continue to receive the updates to the DJ app.

which is a similar upgrade process to the SSL - SDJ switch over.

And I don't think there would be any requests to apple to receive a modification to the unsupported ipad system board to allow them to run the new software.
Dj Wunder 8:12 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
@SLK..
but ipads go obsolete pretty quickly too, with a lot of the current DJ apps requiring a minimum of ios6 which doesn't run on all ipads.

So if you had bought an earlier ipad you would require an upgrade to a newer model to continue to receive the updates to the DJ app.

And I don't think there would be any requests to apple to receive a modification to the unsupported ipad system board to allow them to run the new software.

Perfect example. I have an iPad 1st gen that I use with TouchOSC, and not much else. As the iPads get improved, my kneejerk reaction is to say, "Ooh I want that!" Then I remember that my iPad does what i want it to reliably, and I can keep the $500 in my pocket.
Asu 9:19 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@SLK..

Perfect example. I have an iPad 1st gen that I use with TouchOSC, and not much else. As the iPads get improved, my kneejerk reaction is to say, "Ooh I want that!" Then I remember that my iPad does what i want it to reliably, and I can keep the $500 in my pocket.

Apple has gone crazy with the releases lol,something new every year...i got an old ipod touch with a couple of mixes for backup in case the Macbook pro crashes and it's perfect for my needs...otherwise everything else get's upgraded every 3years or so to stay on the upside of things...by then you've made tons of money from your initial investment and balancing out minimal value lost...this way i never worry about it.

e.g My Macbook Pro(Mid 2009 512GT,8GB Ram,1 TB HDD,in perfect shape) is due for an upgrade,waiting for the Haswell Models on Oct.15.2013 :-) while at the same time sale for $1000+....this to me is the best way to handle gear...
SLK 9:38 PM - 30 September, 2013
So what do people think the resale value of their 57sl is?
boabmatic 10:40 PM - 30 September, 2013
I've been checking the sold listings on eBay to get an idea and in the UK they are going for about £400-500 which is $650-800 .. But remember a 62 costs £1600 which works out at $2600
SLK 11:00 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
So what do people think the resale value of their 57sl is?

A three year upgrade cycle is probably reasonable, however the cycle is getting shorter and shorter every year.

The physical build quality of the 57SL actually makes it useful well beyond 3 years. I've Dj'ed on Rane gear that is over 15years old, solid as a rock. (This is mobile Dj gear too, not bedroom stuff)

However the software & connectivity elements of current range of mixers are likely to make the devices obsolete in less than 3 years if we continue at the current rate of progression.

So effectively the current range of devices need to be considered as sort of disposable.

This is actually ridiculous that we think this is okay, acceptable, desirable.

It's a dangerous cycle for consumers & product companies. Heck its dangerous for the planet, etc.

Spending $3000+ on equipment every couple of years might be okay for some people, but its a pretty steep demand for most of us.

Personally I would rather spend that money on music than hardware. Especially to replace equipment that is physical functional but (soon to be) digitally redundant.

I can't find a single device on the market at the moment that I would want to replace my 57sl with other than the Z1 because its super cheap and it does everything my 57sl does for about 1/10 of the cost so I can afford to lose that value over its viable lifetime.

I think its just food for thought.

Truth is my interest in new Dj mixers is being discontinued because I'm no longer the target market.
Asu 11:43 AM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
Spending $3000+ on equipment every couple of years might be okay for some people, but its a pretty steep demand for most of us.

but this is why im saying sell and buy the next best gear out....if i buy a Macbook pro for $1800 and sell it for $1000+ after 3 years,that's a great return even when not spinning on a regular basis :-) same thing with Rane gear...lasts for a while but it doesn't mean you keep it forever....sell within 3-5 yrs...by then you've made so much off of it....while maintaining a nice re-sale Value :-)
Asu 11:46 AM - 1 October, 2013
don't forget companys like AMS will let you make payments too with no interest at all...just be smart about gear bro
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:25 PM - 1 October, 2013
I'm not sure where this three year number is coming from.
The 57 was released in 2006... seven years ago.
There is a benefit of purchasing the latest and greatest. You'll spend more time with it, making it more worth your while and, as far as Rane gear is concerned, be able to resell it at a very good price and upgrade to the next latest and greatest.
I think the people that are most bummed about the 57 not being supported are people late to the game and just recently purchasing it.
Asu 5:33 PM - 1 October, 2013
Zach i was saying i generally trade up within 3-5 years...3 yrs for macbook pros...5 years for mixers/speakers before anything breaks :-) you get a good re-sale value in that time frame.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:46 PM - 1 October, 2013
I would agree.. 4-5 years with a mixer is about right.

I do get SLK's point though. Mixers didn't change much in the analog days.
You could keep them for 6-8 years versus 4-5. Technology is moving at a crazy fast speed.
s3kn0tr0n1c 6:01 PM - 1 October, 2013
Way i see it is you can still drive around in an old classic car if you still love the lack of OBD2 sensor bullshit.

or buy a new one.

Same with mixers, your 57 is still gonna be the mixer you love so much, itll still keep on rockin it with you behind the faders.

Your just gonna be "classic" in your game ;)
d:raf 6:47 PM - 1 October, 2013
You'd think no company anywhere had ever discontinued anything before.
SLK 8:54 PM - 1 October, 2013
Okay .. I'll admit i'm getting emotional.

I run my own technical company and own a heap of gear so I am used to all of this. Don't even get me started on video equipment, the transfer to HD video chains has been ridiculous.

Its just that my Dj gear is my personal stuff, so it sort if hits home more.

Also I sort of lied about not being interested.

I spent hours last night checking out Serato Dj 1.5 (which is very tidy) and comparing it to the the offers from Tracktor & Pioneer. Aside from GUI, physical layout and some minor technical semantics every system is now pretty much identical in options and functionality.

And now that Serato has combined with Pioneer, this makes the dj equipment market pretty flat. So choices between products are fairly arbitrary.

Couple of last points from me about the 57sl though.

The 2nd hand value of the 57sl is being eroded by this discontinuation. So for 57sl owners it is harder to trade up. The 57sl was a premium mixer and a major % of its value is in the Serato integration.

Also in my experience there was never really a piece of _Dj_ equipment that became unsupported and likely to become obsolete or less functional because technology progressed.

Certainly equipment failed as it aged but I don't recall a device that you could no longer plug in and be use as it was designed. (Yes I know that I can still use my 57sl. However its likely that USB1 will stop being supported, or my USB1 computer will die before the mixer dies)

So I think the discontinuation of the 57sl sets ups a subtle precedent for the Dj device market.

There are new and expanding risks in buying digital DJ equipment, despite the physical quality of the components there is the strong chance the equipment will become
digitally obsolete before the actual component fail.

Part of the risk is that the hardware (mixer) is tethered to a 3rd party piece of hardware (laptop) and the life cycles of the two devices are independent but wholly dependent on being in sync.

This is what I think is getting under the skin of 57sl owners. Many of us made a careful choice to purchase a premium piece of equipment. We tried to buy the best hardware combined with the best software.

All of can deal with with software and OS upgrades causing issues, but 57sl owners are the unlucky ones having to deal with their being left behind.

This isn't a catastrophe (First world problems), its just a new and perplexing experience for people who generally pride themselves on making good choices.

One of the interesting inclusions in Serato DJ 1.5 is a online marketplace built directly into the software.

This to me is the new face of the DJ market. Where your device is actually a shop, so in the middle of your set you can go online and buy a new FX or something to "improve the mix"

I don't think this is a bad thing, its probably going to make Serato some good money. But a part of me misses the classic simplicity of DJ'ing.

Okay . old guy going home now.
Asu 9:58 PM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
I don't think this is a bad thing, its probably going to make Serato some good money. But a part of me misses the classic simplicity of DJ'ing.

Well said bro!

In other news...a Rane 57 held up a club in Vegas this past weekend and trashed all the 61,62,64&68 mixers...the party couldn't go on until she was connected and her faders stroked up and down/side to side lol...someone animate that!
RudiV 9:18 PM - 8 July, 2014
I can't say anything that hasn't been said already……. but I would like to add my support to owners and disappointment with rane in no longer supporting their ttm57 mixer. Whilst I can understand ranes desire to improve and make new products for emerging markets, a good rule of business is to always support your current customer base - this is also your future customer base!!….If you want 1?
djmacklong 9:49 PM - 8 July, 2014
Another thing that's been said already: The mixer won't stop working. It will always work exactly as intended with Serato Scratch Live.

The K5 Blazer isn't in production anymore, and GM no longer manufactures parts for it. That doesn't stop it from functioning as intended (when maintained properly) or from properly trained service professionals from fixing it when there's a problem. It's still a well built vehicle and a lot of fun to drive.
Asu 1:43 AM - 9 July, 2014
Quote:
I can't say anything that hasn't been said already……. but I would like to add my support to owners and disappointment with rane in no longer supporting their ttm57 mixer. Whilst I can understand ranes desire to improve and make new products for emerging markets, a good rule of business is to always support your current customer base - this is also your future customer base!!….If you want 1?

Rane still supports the mixer and services it if you send it in...mine is as good as new and like macklong said,it works flawlessly...it is what it is and scratch Live still works great...for mobile gigs,i pull out the DDJ-SX
Mic Terror 4:34 AM - 9 July, 2014
I was pissed at first but I get it, They're moving to USB2.0 and hopefully 3.0. I just won't be upgrading for a while.
Definite_NZ 7:16 PM - 14 August, 2014
I'm considering buying a used 57 in good condition for a good price - I am not particularly concerned by the fact that it wont be supported by new and future versions of the software but I AM worried that newer laptops wont support usb 1.1 - is that the case?
I realise this isn't Serato's concern or fault, but I'm worried that the 57 will become unusable in some not too distant future?
Definite_NZ 9:15 PM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
Another thing that's been said already: The mixer won't stop working. It will always work exactly as intended with Serato Scratch Live.

but will usb 1.1 become obsolete soon?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:17 PM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:

Absolutely. I would NOT suggest buying a 57 or an SL1.
pdidy 10:04 AM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Well I guess if I were dead set on never evolving past a rane 57 I would stock up on my favorite laptop to last me a life time.

We can only hope and pray that the day that usb 1.1 becomes obsolete, people don't panic and take to the streets looting, fighting and stealing the last of the usb 1.1 computers........

Provided this does not come too pass, I think you're safe sir.....
d:raf 4:48 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:

We can only hope and pray that the day that usb 1.1 becomes obsolete, people don't panic and take to the streets looting, fighting and stealing the last of the usb 1.1 computers........

<------- secretly prepping for the inevitable Firewire riots...
pdidy 5:22 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

<------- secretly prepping for the inevitable Firewire riots...

www.nerdist.com
Definite_NZ 11:52 PM - 19 August, 2014
Okay so comedy aside it looks as though a 57 is currently a perfectly usable USB 1.1 Scratch Live mixer that in the not too distant future will probably not be compatible with the average laptop - at that point I guess it becomes a very good analogue mixer...

I dont care to 'evolve' past the Rane 57 or even the Vestax 05 for all it matters - I dont need all the bells and whistles, effects etc etc - but - i also dont want to drop a chunk of money on something I literally wont be able to use soon
Definite_NZ 11:55 PM - 19 August, 2014
with Serato Scratch Live I mean - I realise it will be sweet with an SL3 or 4 box and/or as an analogue mixer
pdidy 12:42 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
Okay so comedy aside it looks as though a 57 is currently a perfectly usable USB 1.1 Scratch Live mixer that in the not too distant future will probably not be compatible with the average laptop - at that point I guess it becomes a very good analogue mixer...

I dont care to 'evolve' past the Rane 57 or even the Vestax 05 for all it matters - I dont need all the bells and whistles, effects etc etc - but - i also dont want to drop a chunk of money on something I literally wont be able to use soon

Wait......Did you read anything i said ?

I figured my sarcastic humor would explain it to you but you're just not getting it...lol

Maybe somebody else can explain it to you better.....
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:53 PM - 20 August, 2014
Yes.. you will always be able to use the 57 as an analog mixer and if you wanted to continue to use Serato DJ with it you could combine it with an SL2, SL3, or SL4.
Asu 6:10 PM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
Yes.. you will always be able to use the 57 as an analog mixer and if you wanted to continue to use Serato DJ with it you could combine it with an SL2, SL3, or SL4.

Very true...plus it won't stop being usable...i mean people are still using old connections via adapters (parallel connection printers etc)...it's a great mixer and will be usable for a long time+SL is very reliable

I use TT+57+SL or DDJ_X+SDJ or CDJ2000's+SL3+SDJ
Definite_NZ 2:54 AM - 25 August, 2014
Quote:

e...i mean people are still using old connections via adapters (parallel connection printers etc)...it's a great mixer and will be usable for a long time+SL is very reliable

Sweet. My concern was not for the reliability of the 57 or SL, no doubt they are fine - just the compatibility of usb 1.1 in times ahead. I'd hate for a perfectly good mixer and perfectly good software to be undone by a computer that wont recognise/operate usb 1.1 hardware...
pdidy 3:15 AM - 25 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
e...i mean people are still using old connections via adapters (parallel connection printers etc)...it's a great mixer and will be usable for a long time+SL is very reliable

Sweet. My concern was not for the reliability of the 57 or SL, no doubt they are fine - just the compatibility of usb 1.1 in times ahead. I'd hate for a perfectly good mixer and perfectly good software to be undone by a computer that wont recognise/operate usb 1.1 hardware...

38.media.tumblr.com
kilo-watt 1:34 AM - 16 September, 2014
I rock my ttm57 every weekend and it has been a work horse. I know the day will come when I need to upgrade to one of the latest Rane mixers, but as of right now paired with my 2012 Macbook Pro w/ SSD it's been the most reliable setup I could ever hope for.
AKIEM 1:38 AM - 16 September, 2014
^ same
Asu 1:38 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
it's been the most reliable setup I could ever hope for.

Very true bro...love SDJ but SL is exceptionally stable with my 57 :-)
Wave Dweller 11:24 PM - 13 February, 2016
Hi there,

I'm a little late to the discussion here, but can I still use my Rane TTM 57SL mixer? And if so, which software is compatible?
pdidy 1:15 AM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Hi there,

I'm a little late to the discussion here, but can I still use my Rane TTM 57SL mixer? And if so, which software is compatible?

yes, the Rane TTM 57SL mixer still works with the same software you always used Serato Scratch Live.
Asu 5:08 AM - 14 February, 2016
FYI the Beta update that fixed the Rane MKII and the New Rotary knob mixer has broken the Pioneer end of things lol...SX now doesn't work...the MKII is flawless now on EL Capitan.
pdidy 6:44 AM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
FYI the Beta update that fixed the Rane MKII and the New Rotary knob mixer has broken the Pioneer end of things lol...SX now doesn't work...the MKII is flawless now on EL Capitan.

so wait, are you saying the el cap most recent update broke what pioneer had previously fixed ?
Wave Dweller 3:28 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Hi there,

yes, the Rane TTM 57SL mixer still works with the same software you always used Serato Scratch Live.

I have since upgraded from Scratch Live to Serato DJ, as it says on the Serato site:
"Note: Serato Scratch Live has been replaced with Serato DJ"

Would I need to install Scratch Live again? If so, where from?
AKIEM 5:16 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:

Love it.
Asu 5:21 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

so wait, are you saying the el cap most recent update broke what pioneer had previously fixed ?

yeah bro...Apple fixed the issue for the class compliant new mixers in this beta OS X 10.11.4 ....but i plugged in my SX multiple times and it's a no go...all was well before the update (Beta 3 anyway)...MKII is fine...i've tested for 5 hrs total (4hrs continuous)....Pioneer is going to be mad about this....luckily,i have 2 MacBook's...one to mess with like this lol.

The pioneer fix and others based on older EL Capitan MIDI and audio setting are probably broken too...hope Dj's are smart enough to hear from Serato if they should apply the fix
pdidy 6:13 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I have since upgraded from Scratch Live to Serato DJ, as it says on the Serato site:
"Note: Serato Scratch Live has been replaced with Serato DJ"

Would I need to install Scratch Live again? If so, where from?

Only is you want the rane 57 to actually work , serato.com
DJ Quartz 9:16 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
I feel like this serato should offer those of us w the sl1 & 57 a discount towards the newer products in show of support of those who supported them!

I don't think it was solely on Serato. Rane is the manufacturer of the mixer and was part of the design process.

I think Rane should have offered some kind of upgrade program especially when the mixer was not designed to be modular in the first place.

A discount to upgrading to a 62, etc... would have a been nice.
pdidy 10:22 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I think Rane should have offered some kind of upgrade program especially when the mixer was not designed to be modular in the first place.

ce.

Define what you mean by modular ?
List of mixers that are modular by your definition ?
DJ Quartz 11:20 PM - 16 February, 2016
For instance the Mackie D2 when it was in production and you could add in the firewire capability with an add-on card.

If the Rane 57SL was designed in the manner you could upgrade the soundcard interface we could have extended the life cycle.

However, the way SSL was designed to work with it was proprietary so there is a lot more to the puzzle.

Doesn't matter now really though.
pdidy 12:36 AM - 17 February, 2016
Hey somebody shake DJ Quartz, he day dreaming again.....lol
www.quertime.com
DJ Quartz 1:21 AM - 17 February, 2016
Ha ha
djmacklong 2:28 AM - 17 February, 2016
Guys...the 57 is 10 fucking years old, and it still works as perfectly as always with the software that it was designed for. Rane should offer discounts on new hardware that works for a completely different software? Seriously? That is the most entitled-assed bullshit I've read in a very long time.
pdidy 2:39 AM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Guys...the 57 is 10 fucking years old, and it still works as perfectly as always with the software that it was designed for. Rane should offer discounts on new hardware that works for a completely different software? Seriously? That is the most entitled-assed bullshit I've read in a very long time.

Relax I just woke him up.......and you know how you get when you're hungry cdn.makeagif.com
DJ Quartz 3:04 AM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:

Did someone miss the memo, we're not talking about now. This was for when the changeover first happened after Serato DJ was getting dvs support etc.

THAT is when a discount could have been offered. It's not uncommon, it's not unheard of.
DJ Quartz 3:11 AM - 17 February, 2016
On the business side of things it's no different than Technics.

You make something so good that everyone buys one and unless it blows up, etc. never again.

So you have to make new products to generate new money.

The 62 is pushing four years already.

The 57MKII came along and now you have the S9.
dj ductape 5:46 PM - 22 February, 2016
Its called planned and perceived obsolescence. If it didnt break on us, they made it break by ending support. Phase one of the 57 was planned obsolescence. All the in application purchases in serato dj is phase two, perceived obsolescence. "Upgrade now because these great tools that you need are not available in SSL". Sadly, they are taking notes from the worst company in the obsolescence game, Apple :)
AKIEM 6:12 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Its called planned and perceived obsolescence. If it didnt break on us, they made it break by ending support. Phase one of the 57 was planned obsolescence. All the in application purchases in serato dj is phase two, perceived obsolescence. "Upgrade now because these great tools that you need are not available in SSL". Sadly, they are taking notes from the worst company in the obsolescence game, Apple :)

I actual do not think that is the case in this case. I would say it was more like the entire economy operates by obsolescence and Rane lives in that economy. I happen to think Rane gear is actually built to not be ever obsolete if at all possible. If it were not for 'my choice' to use dvs, my first Rane56 would still be in use.

There are other things I criticize them for, that's not one.
AKIEM 6:15 PM - 22 February, 2016
And yes, they may profit by their hear being 'linked' to software making it obsolete in some respects. But notice their mixers still work with analog vinyl. And notice they still offer mixers unlinked to software.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:22 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lol, there it is...
Gio Alex 6:39 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I actual do not think that is the case in this case. I would say it was more like the entire economy operates by obsolescence and Rane lives in that economy. I happen to think Rane gear is actually built to not be ever obsolete if at all possible. If it were not for 'my choice' to use dvs, my first Rane56 would still be in use.

Agreed. 100!

Let's just be real here. Rane is not the software company, serato is. Rane just makes the hardware. Although they once had a partnership with the software, they are two different companies. So serato no longer has to develop software for rane e.g., SSL. They do business together but it's no longer a union.
AKIEM 7:27 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, there it is...

Yeah, but why run a 57/SL1 off anything but a vintage laptop dedicated to SSL?
Niro 8:50 PM - 22 February, 2016
My vcr won't play my DVD's, WTF.
Gio Alex 8:52 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
My vcr won't play my DVD's, WTF.

LOL
AKIEM 8:58 PM - 22 February, 2016
lolz
dj ductape 10:52 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The more you believe this, the more they will fuck you in the long run. It is up to us as consumers to change the obsolescence game. The fact is, Rane DID create a piece of hardware that became obsolete. Yes, Rane makes other mixers but the TTM 57SL was designed for use with software that is currently unsupported. There is a difference between a TTM 56 and 57 and that difference cost $700 and is no longer supported. In 3 years, SSL might not even work with current computers. Notice how I did not state Rane or Serato as the culprit? It is Serato though. The mixer IS up-gradable. My man Henry Morales can put a Serato card in almost any mixer. The more excuses you give to big business, the more they take advantage of us. I do understand that usb 1.1 is extremely old and usb 2.0 is getting there as well, but the point of the matter is that an old 57 and SSL still outperforms SDJ in terms of stability and performance, to this day. I just had an issue with all of my hardware and SDJ but SSL worked fine. Of course Serato was baffled at this concept.
Gio Alex 11:09 PM - 22 February, 2016
As soon as Serato broke away from Rane and made the software available to all major mixer/dj brands- non money maker requests started to be ignored. I get it, it's business. It started to become a hard sell to get people who wanna start djing to spend $499 (SL1) starting and that's not including the cost of mixer, CDJ/Turntable.

But now they can sell their software for $99. So they're (serato) making more money than ever. I know cuz at one point I worked in sales and you'd see Rane Mixers/Rane SL boxes go from selling like hotcakes to not selling. Especially with competitors like traktor licensing their software to cheap controllers and also ppl pirating the software. But also, once you buy "pro gear" you don't need to replace it every year. How many people you know have had SL boxes replaced? I've upgraded but never had one fail on me.

Serato had to make a move to get in on the action and make them bucks. I like Serato, but where I draw the line is if it wasn't for the Rane Professional Hardware which was validated by pros and to some extent became an industry standard (in US) then it wouldn't have been so big today. It's not just the inexpensive SDJ licenses. Business is business, I get it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:19 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, there it is...

That's fine if that's the EXISTING hardware that you have...

But all hardware breaks down eventually, which SHOULD be the catalyst for new equipment, but a lot of cats just buy things cuz they're new....vs. needing them.

Truth be told, if Serato didn't give the software away for free, there would be a LOT less people complaining about sh*t...

They download the "Newer" versions, and they don't necessarily work with what's already out there...
d:raf 12:11 AM - 23 February, 2016
My Opcode Studio 64X and OMS software won't be recognized by any computer I own beyond my old Powermac 8600. Sure, it still works perfectly fine as a standalone unit, but without the software its functionality is crippled. Even though Apple phased out the Apple Desktop Bus in '99, I'm SURE I could have gotten an ADB to USB adapter and continued using it with Logic Pro X if they'd just updated the software to stay stable beyond Mac OS 8.7.

Money-grubbing capitalist bastards cheated me out of another potential 16 years of DAW compatibility.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Gio Alex 1:11 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
This is why we can't have nice things.

lol

truth though.
DJ Quartz 1:53 AM - 23 February, 2016
Just to add to this, it's not only the USB 1.1 that was a problem.

At the SSL was developed, it uses a proprietary protocol to speak between each other.

Also, what they did with that bus was a bit of magic as well.

So it's not just simply upgrading the soundcard, that is only one part.

They have moved to midi so it can work with a wide range of hardware.

That means they would have had to re-write the whole 57SL implementation from scratch.

Who's paying for that??? Not Rane, because they have new hardware and don't produce it anymore.

So why would they pay Serato licensing to rewrite for it.

Rane discontinued the mixer not Serato. And for Serato to keep supporting it, that would have cost them resources with no return.

Could it have been a paid upgrade, maybe.

But to be honest, I came from the Traktor world and all updates were paid and they discontinued Final Scratch 1 and came out with 2 and so on....

Yes they might have been an easier transition but the mixer still has software it can work with now. Just not the new software.

You can still use Scratch Live 2.5.0 with the 57SL until the mixer dies.

However, because Apple decided to update their OS and cause compatibility issues, how come no one is yelling bloody murder at them?
Gio Alex 2:34 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
You can still use Scratch Live 2.5.0 with the 57SL until the mixer die

This is what I do.
Or an SL3 for SSL and SDJ
Gio Alex 2:36 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
You can still use Scratch Live 2.5.0 with the 57SL until the mixer dies.

Not sure what you mean by die, it can always be used as a mixer. Am I the only one tat plays records at home? lol
DJ Quartz 2:53 AM - 23 February, 2016
I mean exactly that until the mixer physically is dead. ha ha

And yes I play records but I have a station setup for that.
Gio Alex 2:57 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
I mean exactly that until the mixer physically is dead. ha ha

And yes I play records but I have a station setup for that.

I'm just teasing. Maybe I'm just naive, or take care of my gear, but I haven't had any pro level gear die on me yet.

My nerdy home stereo system is from the 90s. All my DJ mixers are from a decade ago (909, 707, 57, empath) lol. All my techs are from the late 90s. My monitors are old too lol. Maybe I should be praying lmao.
DJ Quartz 3:14 AM - 23 February, 2016
Nah man, that was in humour it's all good. :)
DJ Reflex 3:34 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
I'm just teasing. Maybe I'm just naive, or take care of my gear, but I haven't had any pro level gear die on me yet.

Taking care of your gear??? What a concept! :)

I know too many dudes in my area that burn through gear like every month. Then I see why... they slam it around, spill drinks on it, don't pack it up correctly, etc. Then complain "this stuff is crap man... it never works right." I to have been using the same pro gear for nearly 20 years without fail. (some audio and lighting equipment)
I am also still rocking out with my TTM57 mixer on SSL with TT's. Tried a nice Pioneer controller once, but just couldn't get the feel for it.
AKIEM 6:10 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The more you believe this, the more they will fuck you in the long run. It is up to us as consumers to change the obsolescence game.

you mean like how Ive been using the same Technics 1200s for three decades - cost me like $10 a year. Keep extra ones for parts or backup and have bought and sold a good number of them making a nice profit every time. negative depreciation - yup

Quote:

The fact is, Rane DID create a piece of hardware that became obsolete.

Every thing about that mixer says it was made to last as long as possible. I still use mine regularly - never an issue besides a ribbon getting loose and having to oil the buttons - Even after Ive opened it up and did some mods.

I might send it in for a referb because Im sure it will last another ten / depends on if I keep a laptop for it which Im sure will die first.

Quote:

Yes, Rane makes other mixers but the TTM 57SL was designed for use with software that is currently unsupported.

So Rane should have anticipated and designed for unknown future software changes - ok

Quote:

There is a difference between a TTM 56 and 57 and that difference cost $700 and is no longer supported.

Again the point is, they offer a version not bound to any software. If they were purposefully designing equipment to become obsolete they would only offer a mixer bound to software and have no analog capability (like an Akai AMX ehem)

Quote:

In 3 years, SSL might not even work with current computers. Notice how I did not state Rane or Serato as the culprit? It is Serato though.

ur bad

lol

Quote:

The mixer IS up-gradable.
wrong

Quote:

My man Henry Morales can put a Serato card in almost any mixer.

thats great - I invented that modification :-)

Quote:

The more excuses you give to big business, the more they take advantage of us.

Rane is a small company.

and I think large corporations are mostly evil and I don't make excuses for any of them. But I do appreciate well made products meant to last as long as possible - good value

Quote:

I do understand that usb 1.1 is extremely old and usb 2.0 is getting there as well, but the point of the matter is that an old 57 and SSL still outperforms SDJ in terms of stability and performance, to this day. I just had an issue with all of my hardware and SDJ but SSL worked fine. Of course Serato was baffled at this concept.

smh

so Serato is purposefully making unstable software so it becomes obsolete?

Maybe Rane should have put USB 3.0 on the 57
AKIEM 6:12 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, there it is...

That's fine if that's the EXISTING hardware that you have...

But all hardware breaks down eventually, which SHOULD be the catalyst for new equipment, but a lot of cats just buy things cuz they're new....vs. needing them.

Truth be told, if Serato didn't give the software away for free, there would be a LOT less people complaining about sh*t...

They download the "Newer" versions, and they don't necessarily work with what's already out there...

yup they should charge for it to keep the complaints down - lol - win / win / win
Gio Alex 3:34 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Every thing about that mixer says it was made to last as long as possible. I still use mine regularly

Same here. Never had an issue, and like I said before, plenty of times I use it to rip vinyl or just play vinyl. I still use mixers like mixers were meant to be used. It's not always about DVS.
Gio Alex 3:35 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:

Do you think the decision to use usb 1.1 was fully rane's or was there some influence? For instance, "why would you need usb 2.0 it runs just fine on 1.1"??? I dunno. It is odd though cuz traktor audio gear was always running on usb 2.0.
DJ Quartz 4:38 PM - 23 February, 2016
Actually Traktor was firewire first after the Scratchamp 1 was discontinued.
Gio Alex 4:43 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Actually Traktor was firewire first after the Scratchamp 1 was discontinued.

True, but you mean final scratch, not NI's version. Actually, firewire is great. Prob wouldn't be an issue if Rane went the firewire route, although that would exclude a lot of PC users.
DJ Quartz 4:47 PM - 23 February, 2016
Once they released their own hardware yes they went 2.0 because 1.1 was dead already by then.

I'm surprised Rane never made a 57mk2 in 2009 for instance. Probably it was such big seller they didn't want to mess around with re-design, etc.
DJ Quartz 4:47 PM - 23 February, 2016
I meant 1999
AKIEM 5:00 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think the decision to use usb 1.1 was fully rane's or was there some influence? For instance, "why would you need usb 2.0 it runs just fine on 1.1"??? I dunno. It is odd though cuz traktor audio gear was always running on usb 2.0.

That joke failed. I should have said maybe Rane should have put USB 4.0 on the 57.

Rane used USB 1 for as long as possible to work with as many older computers as possible and because it was sufficient. They switched to USB 2 for more bandwith and because it was clear there where no laptops out there requiring USB 1 which could run any new software.

At least that's what they said.
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Once they released their own hardware yes they went 2.0 because 1.1 was dead already by then.

I'm surprised Rane never made a 57mk2 in 2009 for instance. Probably it was such big seller they didn't want to mess around with re-design, etc.

They were still making so much money on that mixer that I think it didn't really make sense at the time. I think it 09 they released v3 of it too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:13 PM - 23 February, 2016
They released different versions of the 57?
Gio Alex 5:13 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
That joke failed. I should have said maybe Rane should have put USB 4.0 on the 57.

LOL you know when I saw usb 3.0 i thought you were joking, but then I was like okay I won't get into it. But yeah, usb 4.0 would've had a much greater punch as a joke. It wizzed by me cuz I thought you were sorta serious, but I was so fixed on thinking maybe they just didn't see the importance so they stuck to 1.1.
DJ Quartz 5:23 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:

Correct, there is two revisions on the 57.
Gio Alex 5:29 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Correct, there is two revisions on the 57.

Actually, 3 to my knowledge, no? Last one was the red line one.
DJ Quartz 6:35 PM - 23 February, 2016
Oh is that the 3rd one? Cool

I had two of those guys. I still like that mixer a lot.
Asu 7:15 PM - 23 February, 2016
Change & death (of the 57) is the one fact of life that's guaranteed...if we want these companies to stick around,they need capital to stay afloat meaning new products....you don't need to upgrade right away,but you'll eventually have too.

You can't have it both ways.
DJ Quartz 7:18 PM - 23 February, 2016
This is true, that what's happened to Technics. They made something that people bought once and they never really broke. So you get the revenue one time an that's it.
AKIEM 9:25 PM - 23 February, 2016
If you want a DJ mixer that will NEVER wear out, and be indefinitely upgradable - it would not be affordable.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:36 PM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Change & death (of the 57) is the one fact of life that's guaranteed...if we want these companies to stick around,they need capital to stay afloat meaning new products...

Sure, but it dosent necessarily require them abandoning old popular ones
dj_soo 9:50 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Change & death (of the 57) is the one fact of life that's guaranteed...if we want these companies to stick around,they need capital to stay afloat meaning new products...

The mixer was supported for almost 10 years. It still works today.

I would hardly call that being "abandoned."
dj jamalot 2:38 PM - 24 February, 2016
So does this mean i should pull mine outta storage...?
DJ Quartz 2:46 PM - 24 February, 2016
I will say this, people need to cut Serato a little slack here. They still make Scratch Live accessible for download.

Other vendor completely obliterated older versions once they stopped supporting older software.

And you can still call for help with Scratch Live even though they don't develop it anymore.

How many companies actually do that?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:50 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I will say this, people need to cut Serato a little slack here. They still make Scratch Live accessible for download.

Other vendor completely obliterated older versions once they stopped supporting older software.

And you can still call for help with Scratch Live even though they don't develop it anymore.

How many companies actually do that?

I would cut them a ton of slack if they canned sl to make a BETTER product....they didnt
Asu 3:23 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Old & popular has a time limit still...that's just the way this world works...let's be real.

you buy a $2000 mixer and make $100,000 over 8-9 years and don't wanna fork out for a newer model 9 years later? come on now...you're being a little self centered...how fair is that to Rane or other comapnies?
Asu 3:29 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I would cut them a ton of slack if they canned sl to make a BETTER product....they didnt

it's actually a better product for the masses...the sales say it all...Figures don't lie but liars surely do figure.

Just say it's not your cup of tea.
dj jamalot 3:40 PM - 24 February, 2016
They did Serato DJ... Runs & hides.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

it's actually a better product for the masses...the sales say it all...Figures don't lie but liars surely do figure.

Just say it's not your cup of tea.

No, its simply not a better product. Kias probably outsell farraris, it doesn't mean they are better cars
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:58 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Old & popular has a time limit still...that's just the way this world works...let's be real.

you buy a $2000 mixer and make $100,000 over 8-9 years and don't wanna fork out for a newer model 9 years later? come on now...you're being a little self centered...how fair is that to Rane or other comapnies?

Pefectly fair is im willing to pay the same $2000 for the same mixer since its flawless and functuonal when suppported. Do you think that $2000 is somehow worth more to RANE if it comes from new equipment vs old models?
Gio Alex 4:01 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

This. When they dropped the 61, they had the nerve to try and sell for the sticker price of the 57SL. Then years later finally dropped the MKII. I wish the 57MKII had come out then instead of the 61. Would've been a blessing, but I guess the timing was wrong.
DJ Quartz 4:05 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

We're talking about two different things here, let's be clear.

57SL discontinued, then the 61 & 62 came out.

61 < 57SL, everyone knows this.

62 > 57SL but hefty price tag. Just got one last week and had to buy it used to afford it.

I still don't know they're reasoning of the 61.

I mean if it was CHEAP, no problem. It would be good backup if you just need a mixer with DVS capability.
Gio Alex 4:10 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Yes, ONLY if said newer product is actually an improvement. I'm not gonna just buy the new thing just to buy the new thing. Especially if the old one is fully functional. I rather buy 3 old ones then buy the new one.

For instance, my favorite pair of dj headphones are the Technics RP-DJ1210. They may not be THE best dj headphones, but they are for me. Comfort, portability, size. They're discontinued. I hated the long ass cord on those and I believe the RP-DJ1205 made the cord shorter. Rather than buy the RP-DH1200 (Newer and still available product) I just bought a few of the old RP-DJ1205s. The RP-DH1200 is exactly what I don't want in a DJ headphone. A big ass pair of dj headphones that scream dj headphones.

I've used the rane 62 a million times at different venues. It's a solid mixer, but I'm not a fan of the layout and the bright skittles pads everywhere. That sorta thing has never been my thing. Give me a black, subtle, simple layout mixer. That's where the 57MKII comes in. Now if that mixer had been SSL compatible I would've bought it the day it came out. You know how many ppl didn't buy it for that same reason?
DJ Quartz 4:13 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
That's where the 57MKII comes in. Now if that mixer had been SSL compatible I would've bought it the day it came out. You know how many ppl didn't buy it for that same reason?

I agree they should have worked in one last hurrah for SSL in this regard, same with the 64.

But they killed SSL, so they had to put the resources towards Serato DJ.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:16 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I wasnt, i was talking about SL>SDJ here as well
Gio Alex 4:26 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

I think the 57SL was still being sold when the 61 came out, could be wrong, but I don't think it was officially discontinued till a little after.

Quote:

FACTS!!! The 61 doesn't even have XLR, can fathom with a downgraded version was even introduced. My theory is that Rane wanted to keep selling their stock of 57SL and if the 61 matched the specs then it would be a no brainer. They did the typical things companies do, "Buy this version with missing features for $1600-$1700 or buy the $2200 version that has everything something over $1500 should have anyway" LOL

Quote:
62 > 57SL but hefty price tag. Just got one last week and had to buy it used to afford it.

Yes and No for this one, and that's just my opinion. Feature wise, yes. Design/layout wise, I still am not into the 62.

Quote:

I mean if it was CHEAP, no problem. It would be good backup if you just need a mixer with DVS capability.

Agreed. I have some theories above.

I still want a 61, because it's the only Rane/Serato mixer that still supports SSL and SDJ and doesn't look ridiculously loud like all the newer ones. However, I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it.
DJ Quartz 4:45 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I still want a 61, because it's the only Rane/Serato mixer that still supports SSL and SDJ and doesn't look ridiculously loud like all the newer ones. However, I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it.

The 57SL, 61, 62 & 68 still support Scratch Live.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:48 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The 57SL, 61, 62 & 68 still support Scratch Live.

Reread what he wrote. The 57 dosent support sl and dj and the 62 and 69 look ridiculously loud
DJ Quartz 4:51 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Reread what he wrote. The 57 dosent support sl and dj and the 62 and 69 look ridiculously loud

I read what he wrote, those are the options.
DJ Quartz 4:51 PM - 24 February, 2016
And the only ones left that still support both as well.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Not according to what hes looking for
Gio Alex 7:55 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not according to what hes looking for

Yeah, maybe he misunderstood what I was saying.

The simple looking Rane mixer that still supports SDJ and SSL is the 61. The 57MKII could've been the 61, but some weird shit happened with that one. Not sure why rane even released a mixer without XLR outputs in this day and age for that price.
dj_soo 12:34 AM - 25 February, 2016
SDJ is way better than SSL for me.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:59 AM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

Crazy talk
dj_soo 1:06 AM - 25 February, 2016
yup. Feature wise it's superior.

Stabilitywise it's been fine - not 100% problem free, but neither was scratchlive.

I occasionally do gigs where there's only a 57 available and it sucks being stuck on scratchlive nowadays.
Gio Alex 1:20 AM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

Wilding with that one.

Yeah, serato flip is cool and all that (doubt I'll ever really care), but I dunno though.
Dj Wunder 3:30 AM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wilding with that one.

Yeah, serato flip is cool and all that (doubt I'll ever really care), but I dunno though.

Flip has been pretty indispensable for me. Just goes to show, diff'rent strokes...
dj_soo 9:01 AM - 25 February, 2016
Flip and PnT are things I can't live without now. When I hear the SSL pitchlock, I can't fathom how I was able to put up with it for so many years...
DJ Baby Boy 9:52 AM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who feels this way and it's been running amazingly for me with a variety of different hardware

Also it's gotten to the point that I cannot even run SSL without it crashing on me within the first 10 minutes no matter what SSL hardware I use

Also yes for me PnT is something I can no longer live without
Gio Alex 1:19 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Also it's gotten to the point that I cannot even run SSL without it crashing on me within the first 10 minutes no matter what SSL hardware I use

This I straight up don't get. I have never had SSL crash on me before.
AKIEM 1:24 PM - 25 February, 2016
SDJ has been more solid than early versions of SSL (for me)
Gio Alex 2:08 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
SDJ has been more solid than early versions of SSL (for me)

Well, I mean... earlier stages of anything isn't the greatest. But I hear ya.
AKIEM 2:25 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
SDJ has been more solid than mid versions of SSL (for me)

Well, I mean... earlier stages of anything isn't the greatest. But I hear ya.

had to fix that
DJ Quartz 2:43 PM - 25 February, 2016
Stopped using Scratch Live once Serato DJ got DVS support.

I borrowed a SL4 from a colleague to use since he had a 62 and I still had a 57SL.

I have a NS7FX and wanted one platform to use for both DVS and it.

One workflow and application to know.

Plus PNT, new FX, more cues, etc....
dj jamalot 2:49 PM - 25 February, 2016
The purists still want Scratchlive and their TTM 57's to work welp they will if you didn't update your computer i still have an old silver keyed 2.0 ghz MBP and SSL Works great on it hmmm.
however SDJ won't load it's too old. but i retired that Mac as well as my 57 both in my storage. with my Vinyls...
DJ Quartz 2:50 PM - 25 February, 2016
I understand that part. SDJ is way more cpu intensive.
Gio Alex 3:26 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
The purists still want Scratchlive and their TTM 57's to work welp they will if you didn't update your computer i still have an old silver keyed 2.0 ghz MBP and SSL Works great on it hmmm.
however SDJ won't load it's too old. but i retired that Mac as well as my 57 both in my storage. with my Vinyls...

LOL, wow extremes. Silver keyed is old AF. It's not that serious. I have the pretty much one of the last MBPs with the optical drive (non retina) and I have an image of every OS since I do IT. Every time I upgrade a drive I usually do a clean install and never really get the latest OS anyway. All my computers run 10.9.5 (Mavericks), just because often times new OS changes just don't benefit me in any way.

I'm super practical with the computer use. My DJ laptop only has SDJ, SSL, Ableton. And I rarely even use ableton on there. Only on my desktop (mac mini). The main use for that laptop is DJ music (nothing I won't spin), my calendar, invoices, and mail. That's it. In fact, I don't even use it if I'm not djing. It just sits there till the next gig. Most of my downloads happen on my desktop and I transfer it over.

I realize this is a long cool story bro, but the point is when shit works I just use it that way. I do agree with SDJ having really cool features, but I also just don't care. I kind of enjoy limitations. They push me to do more creatively within my means.

What I would love though, is a classic GUI feature in SDJ. I do like the look and colors of SSL. That was a petition for it and serato changed the whole forum overnight.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:28 PM - 25 February, 2016
Mabye SDJ has gotten significantly better than when my friend got it. He bought a brand new mac and sdj to go with his new 62, several crashes when he first tried to use it. He brought it out to a gig and crash within 10 minutes. I came out the next night to give it a go. Crahed on my. Also the search function seemed significantly slower than SL, almost unusable. All that plus the fact it couldnt handle my large library (5tb) makes it a nogo for me
DJ Quartz 3:29 PM - 25 February, 2016
The early releases of SDJ were buggy no doubt.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:30 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
The early releases of SDJ were buggy no doubt.

This was like, early last year
DJ Quartz 3:30 PM - 25 February, 2016
For the classic skin brought to SDJ,

Put your vote here, serato.com

I liked the blacked out look in SSL, no argument there.
Gio Alex 3:34 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
For the classic skin brought to SDJ,

Put your vote here, serato.com

I liked the blacked out look in SSL, no argument there.

Thanks. I thought the thread got lost in serato's forum makeover.
DJ Quartz 3:38 PM - 25 February, 2016
I've been griping about the blue shading for unactive loops. It's too dark. I want green shading back.
dj jamalot 3:40 PM - 25 February, 2016
Change is inevitable we can't progress living on yesterday's technology i adapt and i'm still doing what i love no issues just change.
DJ Quartz 3:41 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Change is inevitable we can't progress living on yesterday's technology i adapt and i'm still doing what i love no issues just change.

This is very true but I'm never leaving turntables. Ha ha
Gio Alex 3:46 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
I've been griping about the blue shading for unactive loops. It's too dark. I want green shading back.

Tell me about it. The blue shading drives me mad.
Gio Alex 3:48 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

I haven't and I'm doing great. Change is inevitable, but most is just business oriented. If SSL wasn't a partnership with Rane and Serato, serato would've just made the improvements in SSL. The ditched SSL cuz legally I'm sure they couldn't sell SSL to other vendors, e.g., Pioneer, A+H, etc.
Gio Alex 3:49 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This is very true but I'm never leaving turntables. Ha ha

Neither am I.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:52 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

You also cant progress by moving forward to products that are inferior to the previous
dj jamalot 3:54 PM - 25 February, 2016
Well being 35 years into this i really like my DDJ SZ and still use my NS7 along with my 62 and 1210's out of all the SZ is doing the most work it's not about being a "Real" DJ to me at this point in the game it's about consistently providing quality service which is what i do that's why i'm still Jammin A Lot.
Gio Alex 4:15 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You also cant progress by moving forward to products that are inferior to the previous

I agree.
This world, especially this country, is all about conforming.
Gio Alex 4:18 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
it's not about being a "Real" DJ to me at this point in the game it's about consistently providing quality service which is what i do

I don't get the "real dj" part. You can be professional, provide quality service and prefer not to use a controller. I like turntables because of the feel and it's my preference. Doesn't mean I'm less professional or a real dj because I stick to turntables and didn't buy a controller.
boabmatic 4:33 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The 61 was the upgraded TTm56
The 62 was the upgraded TTm57
Gio Alex 4:44 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The 61 was the upgraded TTm56
The 62 was the upgraded TTm57

Feature-wise this is true-ish.

Except they pushed the "upgraded 56" (61) for the same price as the 57.
DJ Quartz 4:45 PM - 25 February, 2016
This is a true point as well.

61 > 56 because of the built in audio interface.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
it's not about being a "Real" DJ to me at this point in the game it's about consistently providing quality service which is what i do

I don't get the "real dj" part. You can be professional, provide quality service and prefer not to use a controller. I like turntables because of the feel and it's my preference. Doesn't mean I'm less professional or a real dj because I stick to turntables and didn't buy a controller.

Ironically 2 of my 3 current weeklys were secured because the manager agrees that a full dj setup with turntables looks more professional than a controllet
Gio Alex 4:49 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ironically 2 of my 3 current weeklys were secured because the manager agrees that a full dj setup with turntables looks more professional than a controllet

I've gotten other DJ's jobs that only used controllers. Some spots consider it professional to use Turntables so I can vouch for this. I remember one time I had someone replace me for a gig I couldn't do and the client got so mad that the replacement didn't use turntables.
DJ Quartz 5:06 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:

This is very true actually. Last year when I started playing in other cities and bringing a full rig that's the comment I got from everyone.

It's always, FINALLY a REALLLL DJ.

I'm not knocking anyone for what they used. I skipped the whole CDJ era myself and stuck to my decks.

The NS7 is the closest thing to decks and that's why I own one. I tried CDJ's, controllers with Jogs, without Jogs.

It's just not for me.
dj jamalot 5:15 PM - 25 February, 2016
People here sometimes think a set of 12's makes you a real DJ I can rock both with my style of mixing it's what I feel like using as a resident going into the 5th a final year of my contract a controller works well in my booth with limited space I like my consoles and my 62 and 1210's simply can't fit...
dj jamalot 5:15 PM - 25 February, 2016
I bought my first set of 1200's in 1978 and they still work...
Gio Alex 5:27 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
People here sometimes think a set of 12's makes you a real DJ I can rock both with my style of mixing it's what I feel like using as a resident going into the 5th a final year of my contract a controller works well in my booth with limited space I like my consoles and my 62 and 1210's simply can't fit...

I just prefer it, real dj or not. It works for me. No matter how many years, I won't give it up. I have tons of records at home and when I have guests or house parties it's what I play, wax. I can't play wax on a controller.
Asu 5:59 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
This is very true actually. Last year when I started playing in other cities and bringing a full rig that's the comment I got from everyone.

It's always, FINALLY a REALLLL DJ.

I'm not knocking anyone for what they used. I skipped the whole CDJ era myself and stuck to my decks.

I think because of the Roots of DJing,most feel it gives that classic original DJ look...i personally use anything but do bring out the TT for those big gigs and Larger convention type gigs.
DJ Quartz 6:23 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
I like my consoles and my 62 and 1210's simply can't fit...

This is why I got the NS7 originally. You can't use turntables on a float. Ha ha
DJ Quartz 6:27 PM - 25 February, 2016
I'll stop trainwrecking this though. We can continue turntable talk in the two other turntable threads.
Gio Alex 7:23 PM - 25 February, 2016
hahaha

threads never stay on topic anyway.
 6 9:58 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
I'll stop trainwrecking this though. We can continue turntable talk in the two other turntable threads.

Speaking of turntables

Jk! lol

nm
DJ Baby Boy 10:18 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This I straight up don't get. I have never had SSL crash on me before.

The weird thing is I hadn't either but as soon as SDJ got DVS support that's what I used and after about 6 months I was put in a situation where there was only a 57 and couldn't run SSL without constant crashes so I had to connect an SL3 to use SDJ instead ... After weeks of trouble shooting it with Serato support and restructuring my library nobody could tell me what the problem was so I have just never used it again and since then I always make sure I have an SL box with me just in case so I can run SDJ over SSL
Asu 3:18 AM - 12 March, 2016
FYI; RANE UPDATE

Status - Mar 9, 2016
Apple's 10.11.4 beta 6 is now available and fixes compatibility issues with the MP2015, MP2014, and TTM57mkII. We do still suggest using OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10, but if you have already updated to El Capitan, you can download the latest 10.11.4 beta 6 (15E61b) to resolve your issues. We will officially support El Capitan with these products once Apple puts out their final release.

We are also currently testing new Core Audio drivers with the 10.11.4 beta 6 and things are looking good. The final testing for these drivers will be done once the final release of 10.11.4 is out.
Asu 2:39 AM - 1 April, 2016
FYI: El Capitan Update 10.11.4 OFFICIAL SUPPORT.....THANK GOD

Rane is pleased to announce support for the latest version of Apple OS X El Capitan (10.11.4).

The latest Apple update 10.11.4 is now available and fixes compatibility issues with the MP2015, MP2014, and TTM57mkII. These products are USB Class Compliant devices that utilize drivers built in the OS X operating system, they do not require device driver updates from Rane.

We have new device drivers for the Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-One, and the SL3 available for download to fix compatibility issues with Apple OS X El Capitan (10.11.4). Only the latest version of El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65) is supported. These drivers are not compatible with older OS X versions.
beezwax 12:00 PM - 8 January, 2019
I've forgotten all the details of this now but wouldn't mind giving my TTM57SL another go at some point!

Anyone know offhand the latest version of Mac OS that it's compatible with?
Gio Alex 3:11 PM - 8 January, 2019
There's quite a few treads about this in the djing discussion.

This link would be a useful place to find that info

serato.com
beezwax 6:58 PM - 8 January, 2019
Thanks Gio - had a read through and that's all the info that I needed!
Gio Alex 7:12 PM - 8 January, 2019
Quote:
Thanks Gio - had a read through and that's all the info that I needed!

No prob man
JP8000 2:11 PM - 19 May, 2020
I called a Local MacBook repair ship and explained that I could no longer use My TtM57 SL because someone updated my MacBook. They said that they receive a lot of similar calls from djs. I took it to the shop after backing up my computer . They wiped my hard drive reinstalled Yosemite. Scratch live now works but I am not able to use any of my old programs . But the computer was for the Dj gear.