DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato killing the TTM 57 SL

ernze 12:26 AM - 5 September, 2013
Did you here the news?I don't know about you but the 57 SL is the best mixer ever made for a Hip Hop DJ. And know Serato is going stop support for it. I don't like them gay looking mixers with all the buttons and lights, I'm A REAL DJ! I'll battle anyone with my mixer against one of them gay ones and win. Bet. I had Serato from the beginning, this news is not good for us real DJs that paid top $ for the best. The new version of the 57 is cheap made if you don't have a original or have mixed with one you don't know what I'm talking about. So don't comment unless you know. Don't let Rain do us like that support the TTM 57 SL!
B-Fade 8:53 AM - 5 September, 2013
if you´re so real, why would you make use of those "fake" new features anyway?
boabmatic 8:54 AM - 5 September, 2013
you can continue to use the 57 and SSL for as long as you want... you just cant update to Serato DJ

My 57 was from the first production run and still as new, I've had a few shots of the 62 and is a great mixer too but the cue system takes a bit of time to adjust too.
B-Fade 8:58 AM - 5 September, 2013
"The return of the satanic mixer killers!"
bicedidit 1:39 PM - 5 September, 2013
i really dont see why everyone is so upset.

i mean, out with the old and in with the new, no?

i have a 57 and i love it. tried, true & stable. i will never get rid of this mixer.

does 'support' refer to getting my 57 serviced if i ever have any issues?
will rane/serato not be able to fix my mixer if it breaks? is that what support means?
DJ CAPRO 2:40 PM - 5 September, 2013
just a guess but it's most likely a USB 1.1 bandwidth limitation

they have already stated that support will continue for SSL, it just won't be looped with new demands from the software that the mixer itself can't support
DJ CAPRO 2:57 PM - 5 September, 2013
^^ I see FranklinTheDJ explained the same point further in the other 57 thread
ernze 8:16 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
if you´re so real, why would you make use of those "fake" new features anyway?

I don't use them cheating toys when I battle
ernze 8:22 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
you can continue to use the 57 and SSL for as long as you want... you just cant update to Serato DJ

My 57 was from the first production run and still as new, I've had a few shots of the 62 and is a great mixer too but the cue system takes a bit of time to adjust too.

I would use the 57 but when apple changes there OS they won't have support for it. I only need two cross faders any thing els is non sense. Gay techno DJs are taking the art of DJing and shitting all over it. If Serato made a knew mixer for battle DJs I'll buy one, but it doesn't look good. I will go buy back my PCM 05.
ernze 8:27 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
just a guess but it's most likely a USB 1.1 bandwidth limitation

they have already stated that support will continue for SSL, it just won't be looped with new demands from the software that the mixer itself can't support

If its a usb issue they should have a mod that you can solder in a usb3 or what ever. I'm good with stuff like that. In fact my boy is a computer programmer apple is a open source he could wright the code. There just trying to sell there newest mixers. Whey make a mixer that last forever and then stop support for it.
ernze 9:17 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:

Wanna Battle?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:03 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Gay techno DJs are taking the art of DJing and shitting all over it

Some of my favourite artists are gay dudes. You should re-think your vocab I think mate.

Anyway...

If you really do love the TTM-57 for what it is, minus all the bells and whistles, you can always connect an SL 2 and continue to use it well into the future. It won't stop working because it's not supported in Serato DJ, you will just have to connect a supported device.

The reason we are not supporting it in Serato DJ is that it has some old technology, especially when it comes to streaming audio, that isn't up the the level of what is available today and what will be available in the future. We would love to support it forever but it's just not possible as computers and software keeps charging forward.

The actual mixer is rock solid still. Nothing wrong with it and it'll probably last another 10 years, probably more. You'll still be able to use Scratch Live for the foreseeable future as well and we will continue to provide tech support for as long as we can and will fix any major bugs over the next 18 months.

I understand it's a bit of a shock and I hope we can help answer any other questions you have.

Cheers,

Sam.
B-Fade 8:31 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wanna Battle?
sure!
DJ_Simple 10:39 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I would use the 57 but when apple changes there OS they won't have support for it. I only need two cross faders any thing els is non sense. Gay techno DJs are taking the art of DJing and shitting all over it. If Serato made a knew mixer for battle DJs I'll buy one, but it doesn't look good. I will go buy back my PCM 05.

The art of turntablism was based on pushing the limits of the technology available and being as artistic/creative as possible with two turntables and a mixer. If the technology is advancing in the mixer then that just means you have more tools with which to be creative and take you're game to a new level. Why hate on something that is offering you more ways to evolve your DJ skills. I think that the battle scene should evolve with the technology as well. Just look at what people like Craze, Shiftee, A-Track, and many more top Battle DJs are doing with all of this technology.

I'm getting rid of my 56 with SL1 box as well as my 57 and picking up a 62. I've been with Rane and serato for a long time now and have been debating on switching to Traktor due to Scratch Live lacking a lot of features compared to Traktor but I will stick around and see if this new switch to Serato DJ can close the gap with Traktor.......
Joshua Carl 1:00 PM - 6 September, 2013
I will never ever sell my 57.
If i can find a SL2 on the cheap It wil remain my back-up and in town guest mixer
while I use my 62.

Heres the Question.

now, that it no longer supported, can a firmware update be made to Midi Map the existing mapable buttons how one wants?

in essence, nixing the scratch live communication via the USB Port in trade for a USB signal?

with this, you really could extend the life of the mixer a tad bit longer
Joshua Carl 1:01 PM - 6 September, 2013
nixing the scratch live communication via the USB Port in trade for a MIDI* signal?

OOPS
DjBLiZ 11:17 PM - 7 September, 2013
I WILL NEVER SURRENDER MY 57SL..

SSL is more then enough really... just wish for a few better FXs other wise Serato DJ is just giving you more "toys" to play with.... PLUS you dont get XLR out on the 61 and you dont get any controls for Serato.... so whats still better
!?!?!?

A Rane 61 OR! Rane 57+ SL2???
DJ CAPRO 3:24 AM - 8 September, 2013
^^ the question is how well do you want to control those new FX that are gonna require new hardware?

I own a 61 and VCI-300 MKII which thankfully both work with my VFX-1. In the next few years however, depending on if you just want a couple knobs or full Serato DJ FX control I would wait until Pioneer drops it's new 'standard pro' Serato controller.

I love Rane and Vestax probably more than Pioneer in their respective feilds (mixers / turntables & faders) but you cannot front on Pioneer's autonomy on the complete package for DJing.
Dj Ready Red 3:35 PM - 9 September, 2013
As long as I can spin I'm good! I won't complain if they stop making updates for the 57 then I'll stop updating! And stay were they stopped out!
tallkoolone 11:13 PM - 9 September, 2013
Since Scratch Live is being discontinued is there any discussion about the source code being made available so programmers can update it and the firmware of the TTM 57SL?
nik39 11:14 PM - 9 September, 2013
Quote:
Since Scratch Live is being discontinued is there any discussion about the source code being made available so programmers can update it and the firmware of the TTM 57SL?

lol! :)
ernze 5:58 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Some of my favourite artists are gay dudes. You should re-think your vocab I think mate.

I have nothing against gay guys as long as they don't touch me. I meant the way the techno DJ mix. I can take another Techno DJ or what ever dance music play list and play it better then them. I dont like CD DJs and it seems that who Rane make mixers for. I would buy a 56 and serato but I fill like I'm taking a step backwards. And I need to buy a new mixer for my business, and I need a mixer that everyone can use, a all in one. Im going to be live streaming and wont be able to do mixer change outs. I think the sample loop is the shit and the effects are cool to its just the design. I have some good designs I can make a new mixer Look like a piece of art and make it universal. I got gay friends to no disrespect.
ernze 5:59 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wanna Battle?
sure!

Google me set up a date
WarpNote 6:23 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
I think the sample loop is the shit and the effects are cool to its just the design. I have some good designs I can make a new mixer Look like a piece of art and make it universal.

You know, your could make a custom skin for it to better suit your visual taste. www.12inchskinz.com
MiguelL 6:41 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
I only need two cross faders any thing els is non sense.

If Serato made a knew mixer for battle DJs I'll buy one, but it doesn't look good.

ionno what your soo upset for? its not like your 57 will stop working. If you want to use the new software, pickup a SL2 and add it to your 57 setup?

why do you have hate for newer hardware (im assuming your referring to the rane 62)? its a great peice of hardware. Its basically a evolution of the 57, it can basically do everything the 57+more.
ernze 6:58 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I think the sample loop is the shit and the effects are cool to its just the design. I have some good designs I can make a new mixer Look like a piece of art and make it universal.

You know, your could make a custom skin for it to better suit your visual taste. www.12inchskinz.com

It's the design layout that's not practical and the color of the buttons that makes it look cheap.
ernze 7:05 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I only need two cross faders any thing els is non sense.

If Serato made a knew mixer for battle DJs I'll buy one, but it doesn't look good.

ionno what your soo upset for? its not like your 57 will stop working. If you want to use the new software, pickup a SL2 and add it to your 57 setup?

why do you have hate for newer hardware (im assuming your referring to the rane 62)? its a great peice of hardware. Its basically a evolution of the 57, it can basically do everything the 57+more.

would buy a 56 and serato but I fill like I'm taking a step backwards. And I need to buy a new mixer for my business, and I need a mixer that everyone can use, a all in one. Im going to be live streaming and wont be able to do mixer change outs. The new mixers are cool for dance music but not for turntablism.
WarpNote 7:07 PM - 11 September, 2013
I'm sure with your manufacturing skills, you would be able to change those buttons....
A 62 with dark smoke buttons (less lights), black anodized billet knobs, and a custom faceplate, could look REAL good IMO. -> www.12inchskinz.com
ernze 7:13 PM - 11 September, 2013
That does look cool that's a good idea. Maybe the 61 because the 62 is so wide. That might work. I never replace them kind of pad buttons will have to do some research.
WarpNote 7:23 PM - 11 September, 2013
From what I've read online, changing/customizing the buttons isnt all that difficult.
Also about the layout of the 62, it seems to be functional for Jazzy Jeff & Mixmaster Mike.
Just Sayin'. Sure they are sponsored by Rane, but Jazzy used to spin on the 909, remember.

More than anything, I suspect is more a matter of getting used to the layout.
Also FYI, Rane looks at it this way: the 61 is an upgrade from the 56, while the 62 is an upgrade from the 57.
ernze 7:33 PM - 11 September, 2013
Tru I'm all about evolving but what about other DJs. The 57 was the industry standard will other DJs be able to jump on and start mixing with no problem. The biggest problem with the 62 is how wide it is. I battle and the closer the tables and mixer the better. But for straight mixing I have no problem with it. But when I do a club I do a 10min battle set to get the crowd hype then I play dance music. I would like to play on one and check it out. Seen one at guitar center but was hooked up to CD deck.
WarpNote 7:39 PM - 11 September, 2013
Luckily, I have a great relationship with my local DJ store. They will basically lend me any of their rentals for free during the week, if I ask them politely. Then again, I function as their go-to-guy for technical questions for serato software...
ernze 9:35 PM - 11 September, 2013
it use to be like that with me in Denver but the DJ seen In AZ is Weak. They just opened a new guitar center near me I'll flash some cash and see what they say. Im putting the 62 on my business proposal but I might go with the 61. Its better to be over then under.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:01 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I can take another Techno DJ or what ever dance music play list and play it better then them.

I'm just curious by the way but what makes the way you play techno better than how an actual techno DJ plays it?
Joshua Carl 12:25 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I can take another Techno DJ or what ever dance music play list and play it better then them.

I'm just curious by the way but what makes the way you play techno better than how an actual techno DJ plays it?

25.media.tumblr.com
DJ CAPRO 12:29 AM - 12 September, 2013
by knowing everything you would know if you only knew

obv.
ernze 12:51 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

25.media.tumblr.com

I was a back up DJ for a rave promoter they would always have DJ's fall out. And Im more hands on chop up dub step crazy shit like that.
DJ CAPRO 1:02 AM - 12 September, 2013
The best techno DJs make do their thing so subtle you can only hear what they are doing if you know tracks. Chopping stuff up isn't necessarily more skills
Joshua Carl 1:20 AM - 12 September, 2013
That's like saying I was a backup dancer for Marky Mark & the funk bunch and dudes would always get hurt, but I can do a headspins and windmills.
So I can totally destroy anyone in ballroom dancing.
ernze 3:01 AM - 12 September, 2013
I mix with my own style I'm not just standing there I make people dance, control energy that's the point right? I don't like that music but I'll play what ever the beautiful women dance to. I just charge a premium.
ernze 4:17 AM - 12 September, 2013
I wasn't a back up DJ for any A list like Swamp, B list If that. But this was back in 99 early 2g when everybody was on ex in underground Raves. If you ever partied in Denver, Boulder, CO Springs you probably saw me. them days are blurry but the memories I have are the best.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:31 PM - 12 September, 2013
Classic lines in this thread....
DJ MDX 1:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
That's like saying I was a backup dancer for Marky Mark & the funk bunch and dudes would always get hurt, but I can do a headspins and windmills.

LMAO - This I gotta see JC - where's the video....lol (yes, I know it was just sarcasm but would be dope if true...)
bicedidit 1:56 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

I have nothing against gay guys as long as they don't touch me.

are you worried that you will get excited? will you shake a gay man's hand? are you a closet homo?
DjBLiZ 2:02 PM - 12 September, 2013
You guys are getting a lil off topic with the "Gay" thing yoo...
DJ CAPRO 2:23 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

brass
Company 2 3:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
Yo ernze, post a link to some videos of you battling .
DJMark 7:16 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I have nothing against gay guys as long as they don't touch me.

are you worried that you will get excited? will you shake a gay man's hand? are you a closet homo?

I blame it on lead inhalation.
Zeroaccess 9:57 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

+1
DJRemixEnt 6:36 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
I don't like them gay looking mixers with all the buttons and lights,

then get a Sixty-One : www.digitaldjtips.com
B-Fade 9:02 AM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1
DJ Precise inc 5:06 PM - 16 September, 2013
The 57 will still work right? just no new updates? I'm cool with that ! it works perfect ,sometimes you have to leave a master piece alone ,Plus the new mixers have too many buttons and crap and honestly i feel are overpriced . As long as it works i'll keep the old versions of the software and i'm good
Joshua Carl 6:14 PM - 16 September, 2013
QUESTION.

will a post Serato-DJ release firmware for the Rane Sixty-Two render the 62/68/SL2-3-4
unable to work with Scratch Live?

or will it remain plug and play for BOTH platforms (which is what I am hoping)

[what Im hoping WONT happen is if you want to use both, you will not have to roll back/re-install firmware updates to the hardware to make it compatible with the 2 softwares]

Which really makes the 62/68 the cat's pajamas (being able to use both)
Rane
TrevorW 7:38 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:

62/68/SL2-3-4 will still work with SSL after Serato DJ starts supporting them! You may use either software.
Rane
TrevorW 7:39 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
The 57 will still work right? just no new updates? I'm cool with that ! it works perfect ,sometimes you have to leave a master piece alone ,Plus the new mixers have too many buttons and crap and honestly i feel are overpriced . As long as it works i'll keep the old versions of the software and i'm good

Correct, this is how it works. The 57 will continue working with SSL, it just wont get any new features added. Serato will still be supporting bug fixes on SSL for a period of time.
Joshua Carl 7:42 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

62/68/SL2-3-4 will still work with SSL after Serato DJ starts supporting them! You may use either software.

excellent, thanks Trevor!
as if the 62's stock could not get any higher!
Both software, 2 USB ports (whoooops pioneer)
DJ CAPRO 7:46 PM - 16 September, 2013
^^ Personally I can't wait to connect the DDJ-SP1 to my Sixty-One as it basically turns it into a 62 for all intents and purposes
Rane
TrevorW 8:17 PM - 16 September, 2013
No problem, Joshua Carl.

I should also remind everyone that Rane will continue to support our products just as we always have, even if we don't manufacture it anymore. You can still call us, email us, or message us for tech support and help with either the hardware or the software, and we will still repair and service the hardware if you have problems (assuming we can still get the parts).
boabmatic 11:27 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
That does look cool that's a good idea. Maybe the 61 because the 62 is so wide. That might work. I never replace them kind of pad buttons will have to do some research.

I think you can still use it as a battle mixer even tho its slightly wider than the 57..

Watchwww.youtube.com
Drewbdo 11:47 AM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:

If you really do love the TTM-57 for what it is, minus all the bells and whistles, you can always connect an SL 2 and continue to use it well into the future. It won't stop working because it's not supported in Serato DJ, you will just have to connect a supported device.

Cheers,

Sam.

Sam,

I just got into DVS last year. In the summer of 2012, I purchased my 57 second-hand. I love my 57, and hate to see it go away.

Am I understanding what you said correctly? I can purchase an SL2/SL3/SL4, and then I will be able to use Serato DJ with my 57 mixer? SDJ is a great program, and the 57 is a great mixer.

If I can buy a SL box, and they will play nice, sign me up! :-)
Niro 4:32 PM - 30 October, 2013
The 57 will always work as a regular 2 channel mixer. It is not a midi mixer, so unless someone comes out with some kind of work around, you will not be able to control SDJ with it, but you can still connect an SL2 and a midi controller to it.

Even if someone where able to come up with a hack, you are still stuck with usb1 which will soon be unsupported. Honestly, scratch live is amazing right now and I don't even come close to using 20% of the features. Besides having the new and shiny, Scratchlive should be good for years to come.
gfella 5:40 PM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:
The 57 will always work as a regular 2 channel mixer. It is not a midi mixer, so unless someone comes out with some kind of work around, you will not be able to control SDJ with it, but you can still connect an SL2 and a midi controller to it.

True, but you add latency and one extra A/D-D/A this way, so not recommended for turntablists because it may feel unnatural to some, even this is very minimal.
If I had the 57 I would use it to the max and choose SSL over SDJ, because once used to controls on the mixer it's hard not to use them.
Drewbdo 6:14 PM - 30 October, 2013
I use the 1200's for most events, but I use the DDJ-SX for short events, or outdoor events. I love the tactile feeling and control of the DVS, and the "Wow... I haven't seen turntables in ages!" reaction I get with the 1200's.

I love the quick setup of the DDJ-SX and the user interface of SDJ better. I use Dicers for cue points with SSL, but adding/triggering loops is much easier with the DDJ.

It would also be very nice to only need one software and one mixer setup, rather than trying to use SDJ for one event, and SSL for the next, both on the same day. During an event, I find myself reaching for buttons or controls that are actually on the other mixer/software... I forget which setup I'm on for a second! :-) lol

I guess I could sell the 57, buy a Rane 56, an SL2/3/4 box, and a DDJ-SP1. I could justify spending $800 ($1300 for a used 56, used SL box, and new SP1 minus $500 to sell the 57), versus $1500 for a Rane 62 ($2000 minus $500 to sell the 57). May not be a lot to some DJ's, but I'm not there yet.

In reality, I will probably keep doing what I'm doing... using two softwares, and two setups. Eventually, used Rane 62's will be in the price range I can justify.
gfella 6:32 PM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:

In reality, I will probably keep doing what I'm doing... using two softwares, and two setups. Eventually, used Rane 62's will be in the price range I can justify.

My advise, keep the 57 for easy setup and start saving for a used 61/62
Sell the 57 later or keep it as backup.
For now enjoy your 57.
Drewbdo 6:42 PM - 30 October, 2013
I just found out about the 61. From what I've seen in the past few minutes, it looks more like what I need.

I agree with your suggestions, and that's probably the route I will be taking.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
gfella 6:53 PM - 30 October, 2013
If you own a Ipad you can get the Serato remote app.
Together with the 61 is a nice upgrade for the 57.
Search youtube for more information.
Drewbdo 7:01 PM - 30 October, 2013
I have an iPad Mini... You have piqued my curiosity! :)