DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 - Left channel more bass than Right

Freddagreat 4:16 PM - 30 August, 2013
Not sure if this had been posted before and I apologize if i missed it. I have had my 62 pretty much since they came out and have always noticed the Channel 1 (Left deck) has a lot more low end frequency coming out than Channel 2. I've tested it out multiple times with several different laptops and still get the same result. Its most noticeable when playing on large sound systems, but you can hear it all time. All software, drivers and firmware are current. MacBook Pro 10.8.4. Same song on both sides. all knobs at 12 O'clock, going from right to left.
Just wondering if this is a hardware issue?
Joshua Carl 5:27 PM - 30 August, 2013
any chance (for my own personal curiosity) you could use a DB meter to verify?
(they have inexpensive ones on the app store for IOs devices)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:48 PM - 30 August, 2013
If you were to turn the filter knob, how far do you need to go to get equal sound?

You can also email me, this forum doesn't notify me when you respond. chads@rane.com
ra.skill 7:07 AM - 17 January, 2015
I know its been a couple of years since this discussion but i also have this issue with my 62!
Any results/fixes??
thanks
gfella 7:39 PM - 17 January, 2015
Try turning the filter knob of the channel that has less bass a little to the right, just 1 mm or less.
Do this very slowly and listen well, when you hit full bass you see the channel meter go up.
Chances are that your filter pot is not really in 0 position and is active at middle click position.
Have 2 same songs on the decks and use the crossfader for switching between the channels, until you matched the bass.
Hope this helps you.
Btw, I have this with my aux filter pot.
ra.skill 10:23 AM - 18 January, 2015
Hi gfella,
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds like thats what it is....
So my only option is to always have the pot slightly turned??
Is it not possible to correct/reset the pot??

Disappointing to have this from such an expensive mixer!

Thanks again,
ra.skill
gfella 1:55 PM - 18 January, 2015
Quote:

Is it not possible to correct/reset the pot??

At the factory yes, or the pot will be replaced by a new one.
Don't know if you can do this yourself.
You can wait for Rane to reply or contact them.
ra.skill 6:33 AM - 19 January, 2015
Thanks again gfella :-)
gfella 8:52 PM - 22 January, 2015
Hello people at Rane

Is it possible to fix or replace the filterpot by yourself, I have no problems soldering anything.
Since I'm in The Netherlands I don't know if there is an official Rane repair center here, and it would certainly not have the turnaround time you guys are known for in the USA.
The issue doesn't bother me that much, but 100% working pots are preffered if possible.

Thx.
medium russ 2:10 AM - 24 November, 2015
I also have this issue with my well taken care of rane 68. Is the pot available for purchase anyone?
ra.skill 4:01 AM - 24 November, 2015
Quote:
Is the pot available for purchase anyone?

I don't believe you require a new pot... From the info I've gathered it's simply that the "0" position is slightly off and needs to be reset.

My 62 has done this from day 1 and I've simply given up trying to fix it, especially living Taiwan... It's not like the US where I can just pop down to my local Rane dealer.

I've said it before... Totally love this mixer but incredibly disappointed to have this problem when it's one of the most expensive mixers on the market. What annoys me is I'm not a gear junkie who replaces his mixer every year... I bought Rane cos wanted something that'll go the distance... Looks like I'm stuck with a filtered left channel for the next decade!

I hate Pioneer mixers but maybe I should have.....
medium russ 10:53 AM - 24 November, 2015
I have replaced pots in mixers before. A pot is physical. My mixer never used to have this issue... It wore into this...Therefore the pot needs replaced. You say you have given up trying to fix it?
So you actually don't know if a simple new pot would fix it right? You just believe..... Please put me on to the info you have gathered....
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:18 PM - 1 December, 2015
Hey guys,

This issue with the filter was fixed in a firmware update.
Please update to the latest driver here --> dj.rane.com
Once done, make sure the mixer is connected and:

Open System Preferences (Mac) or the Control Panel (PC) and open the 62s preference pane.
Press the update firmware button.

That should fix the issue:)
medium russ 7:39 PM - 1 December, 2015
and the rane 68? with the same issue...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:48 PM - 2 December, 2015
Oh sorry.. did not see you were on a 68. I don't recall hearing this as being an issue on the 68 but maybe it slipped through the cracks. Definitely try updating to the latest firmware for the 68.
medium russ 9:48 PM - 2 December, 2015
I appreciate the quick reply Zach!!

I am currently updated to latest 68 firmware and have been....

is it possible for me to buy the pot?
I could switch two of the pots around to see if that is the problem-but then I'd still need a new pot...

Thanks in advance!