DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is the numark ttx really that bad??

DJ NoNseNse 7:43 AM - 26 November, 2008
I used these for the first time this past weekend and I really liked them however I seen mixed reviews on here about them. I just liked how accurate the bpm was.
skratchworx 9:12 AM - 26 November, 2008
No they are not. The TTX is a victim of the "shit sticks" nature of the internet, in that the original TTX1s were plagued with motor issues. Despite being fixed after the first batch, that's all people remember - especially when a few new natural failures come along. Even Technics fail right out of the box sometimes.

If I were to replace my original TTX1s, I'd probably still buy TTXs. For me, it has everything I need from a deck, but that's just my own PERSONAL OPINION. However I expect this thread to disintegrate into a slew of TTX hate/love and ultimately morphing into Technics fanboyism. That's how they end up on every other forum.
zykill 9:57 AM - 26 November, 2008
I still rock my 2nd generation pair of TTX. I also got a pair of 1200s, but I overall prefer the TTX (better torque, digi-pitch-display, straight and s-shaped tonearm and the keylock function, which the 1200s do not have).
DJ NoNseNse 10:16 AM - 26 November, 2008
I really liked that digi-pitch display.
Milesy303 12:19 PM - 26 November, 2008
My first DD decks were the Numark TT100s which were pre-TTX I believe. I learned as much as I could from them, but I then got my 1210s and it was like night and day. I dont know how much different the TTX were? are?
matt212 1:13 PM - 26 November, 2008
Wait until $weetlife sees this thread. hahaha
djphilly 2:49 PM - 26 November, 2008
i had 5 techs at one point (now 3) but i'm looking to get a ttx. if youre buying used just stay away from the first generation noted TTX1 as far as i know.
Shawny D 3:00 PM - 26 November, 2008
My partner and I cut our teeth on TTXs.

They're pretty much the only product that Numark got right.
Milesy303 5:00 PM - 26 November, 2008
They were one of the first to add the hamster switch to their mixers thought... My first Numark Mixer had the hamster switch while no other mixers I knew of had one.
HYDRO MATIC 5:38 PM - 26 November, 2008
I used to work at... the "commission" center.... and I had the pleasure to test every model of turntable for about 2 or 3 years on and off (yeah they let me get them out on loan) and all I can say if you have tried them I don't see how you can ever go back to being so limited.
I already owned two sets of 12's but I decided to sell those to get one set of the MG's and switched to having a home set and road set of the TTX's. I still have the techs but they have been in a box in storage for years....lol (just incase I ever go back to battling) And as far as Numark not getting anything else right....I due know of a local guy (biggest in my area) who uses their DVS live for audio/video but I still have to agree this is thier crowning achievement and their is not a deck that holds a candle to it.....

Con: they don't have a real strobe set up due to the digital display and the pop up light plugs in rca???? kinda wierd but if you were smart and got the series 1 version two you got the blue light which is ridiculous!!!!
DJ NoNseNse 8:48 AM - 27 November, 2008
how well do TTXs hold a pitch compared to techs?
DJ Michael Basic 10:25 AM - 27 November, 2008
If by hold pitch you're asking about WOW and Flutter then it's probably just about the same, but if you're asking about if after years of use they start to go off calibration, then they are miles better, given that ttx have digital pitch control and are not subject to mechanical trouble over time.

I have 7 1200s and 3 ttx. I use a pair of TTX to record my demo mixes with because of the digital pitch. I gig with my 1200s when I'm doing gigs that I need to bring my coffin to. Nothing wrong with the ttx as long as it's the ttx you have and not the ttx1. The ttx1 had lots of problems as was posted above.
Milesy303 11:29 AM - 27 November, 2008
I have used my 1210s for nearly ten years now and they have never needed a professional service. I have needed to calibrate the pitch a few times, but I just disabled the 0% quartz lock at the click so even if the pitch does drift off centre a little, it is not going to make a different for beat matching as there is not going to be a double 0% point.
Mr Jimdobalina 12:46 PM - 27 November, 2008
I'm using the tt500's, (same thing, but without the pitch display) and i think they're awesome, i think Numark hav really stepped up their game recently, i'm using the DXM-PRO mixer as well, and that's an excellent scratch mixer, got a great review on skratchworx.com!!
DJ Sniffles 4:44 PM - 27 November, 2008
I have a pair of MK2's and M3D's, but like MB, I have my TTX's hooked up at home. I have the TTX1's though. After the first year, one of the turntables wouldn't the platter wouldn't spin sometimes. I'd have to turn on the turntable and wait about 15 minutes and then it would work. That happened for about 6 months. Then it never happened again, and that was about 3 yrs ago. I dont know why it was happening but it's never happened since. I wouldn't say I prefer them over Techs, I love using both equally, but I use the TTX's more.
sopranosupasta 4:49 PM - 27 November, 2008
I dont like the fact that you get used to playing on table like the TTX and get used to the additional toruqe, get used to the different tone arms etc etc and them go to the club and play on tech 1200's.....
dj_soo 9:26 PM - 27 November, 2008
i always thought numark had very innovative and forward-thinking designs - just the construction and build have always been sub-par.
djchase 11:43 PM - 9 December, 2008
i love my numarks never had the chance to buy anything else but damn there heavy in raodcases they sound really good no lie i like 12's but wouldnt waste my money on them at all you can get 2 ttx for the price of one 12 brand new....

img368.imageshack.us

img366.imageshack.us
Angelito 7:32 AM - 26 April, 2009
The Numark TTX USB is an excellent turntable. It was designed for modern DJ's . I love my SL 1200's dont get me wrong, I even like my PDX -2000's but my issue with 12 is simple. RCA wires, after heavy road use can wear out, not cool with serato nor easily replaced(I cutom fitted two female RCA Plugs). Tiny +-8% pitch adjust ment, while solid and on the money is just not enough, I loved my CDJ's for that reason alone but they are dead. Listen most of are not using Mixers, PA's or perty much anything else designed in the late 70's so why have keep using the same Turntable design. The TTX is build like a tank the body is made up of 4 parts - a cosmetic top cover, the plastic body, a synthetic anti-resonant inner core and a silicon rubber base. Even the platter has a ruber underneith (my issue with the Vestax PDX-2000) Its an excellent Turntable that has forced my 1200 to be retied and put on display.
Zion-Prayz 1:22 AM - 27 April, 2009
And there go all the 1200 owners dumping their 12s on e-bay to get TTXs solely for the purpose of feeling modern...
Trae Baldwin 12:27 AM - 20 April, 2015
I know this is old, but I'm curious about buying two Like-New Numark TTX's but I'm scared they are going to be the TTX1 (the one with the faulty motor) was there a timeframe from which these tables were produced, I believe these TTXs to be purchased within the last year from a Numark Certified seller.
Do the tables have any noticeable differences or wording??
d:raf 1:07 AM - 20 April, 2015
TTX1's actually have "TTX1" on the table itself for starters...
Trae Baldwin 2:20 AM - 20 April, 2015
Haha, that's what I was curious about.
are all models after labeled as just "TTX"?
DJ Remix Detroit 6:41 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
I know this is old, but I'm curious about buying two Like-New Numark TTX's but I'm scared they are going to be the TTX1 (the one with the faulty motor) was there a timeframe from which these tables were produced, I believe these TTXs to be purchased within the last year from a Numark Certified seller.
Do the tables have any noticeable differences or wording??

if you take the platter off and you see vent ports on the deck itself.... then you are good.

been rocking the same pair of ttx's for 11 years strong now.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:43 PM - 20 April, 2015
actually, the motor wasn't bad. the problem was that Numark didn't cut vent ports so the motor could breathe. So a lot of the motors overheated.

here's a pick of the ttx's with the vent ports. www.djworx.com
DJ Remix Detroit 6:44 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
are all models after labeled as just "TTX"

no, not all... some "fixed" ttx's still have "TTX1" on them..... just look for the vents and you'll be good.
Taipanic 6:54 PM - 20 April, 2015
or just stick with the TTX-USB model.
Joee 8:27 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:

i don't know why they never really took off cause there are good TT
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:41 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Translation?
Joee 10:16 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Translation?

man always have to be so literal with you!

Translation: i don't know why there not a more popular turntable they are actually pretty good
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:14 AM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Translation?

man always have to be so literal with you!

Translation: i don't know why there not a more popular turntable they are actually pretty good

You wanna have one more go at it sir?
Joee 12:39 AM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:

no!

Man listen!!!!!!!
DJ Remix Detroit 1:47 AM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

cuz you got a lot of DJ's who are of the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" caliber...lol
dj_soo 6:43 AM - 21 April, 2015
I always loved the interchangeable tonearm and the ability to reposition the pitch fader, but the early reports of issues scared me off.

I also don't really like the slatted platters - still prefer the dots...
Taipanic 1:51 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
I always loved the interchangeable tonearm and the ability to reposition the pitch fader, but the early reports of issues scared me off.

I agree, the platter is the ugliest part of the turntable. At that point in time they had to do something to make it different than the Technics. If they were smart they would redesign it to look more like the Technics now.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 PM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

no!

Man listen!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that....
WarpNote 7:53 AM - 22 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Probably because of those early problems, and the fact that they don't look as good as most other dj turntables. I'm not hating on them, but the look is everything but clean. Most people are more style conscious than they wanna admit, myself included. Just saying...
Mr. Goodkat 1:53 AM - 23 April, 2015
so are the new ones are comparable to a reloop or pioneer?
WarpNote 5:16 AM - 23 April, 2015
Quote:
so are the new ones are comparable to a reloop or pioneer?

djworx.com
inverse 9:43 PM - 14 May, 2015
I have always loved mine, but after about 8 years, the motor speed select buttons / module broke. It's stuck on 45rpm. The part is discontinued. Anybody got spare parts for sale?
dj_soo 6:55 AM - 15 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, the platter is the ugliest part of the turntable. At that point in time they had to do something to make it different than the Technics. If they were smart they would redesign it to look more like the Technics now.

For me it wasn't the look but rather the feel - I like to drag against the platter when I beatmatch and the slats never felt right. I like how with the dots it feels like you can apply less pressure and get more precise slowdowns.
Discobee 7:36 AM - 15 May, 2015
Heavy as f**k. Which translates to the proverbial "built like a tank". It is a rather different style of turntables. The digital LCD screen is what I like about it.
elMorseman 10:00 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
I have always loved mine, but after about 8 years, the motor speed select buttons / module broke. It's stuck on 45rpm. The part is discontinued. Anybody got spare parts for sale?

Hey bud, I've got an old version 1 ttx1 here - my forward reverse button went in it but I'm fairly certain the transport section is still solid and from what I can see both pitch fader and transport strip are identical except in the case of TTXUSB (I think), I can have a look tonight for you, pm me if you're still looking
elMorseman 10:07 PM - 18 May, 2015
For the record (haha no pun intended) I've used practically every tt in this discussion, all with merits and faults.
Technics are solid
TTX a pleasure to use and very versatile, undeserved reputation after the v1 TTX1

I always found Stantons to be an exercise in frustration but that's personal choice more than anything.
Honourable mention to the Vestax PDX-D3S mkII. 16 years old and still wicked

That said, if you can mix on a Citronic PDQ you can mix on ANYTHING...
DJV.i.P. 1:03 AM - 7 January, 2016
The TTX is a new age digital legend that will continue to hold its own against any deck including the Tech 1210 M5G. I own 2 Tech 1210 M5G's, 2 MK5's, and 2 TXX's and the torque on the TTX's is way stronger then any of my Techs. I love this Numark product and being a pioneer of digital turntablism, I'm hooked on the TTX for life. I competed in the 2010 San Antonio DMC tryouts and used my TTXs for my online submission and was invited to the physical contest but did not make it. I would say that the 33,45,78 RPM and the built in BPM for vinyl is untouched by any other deck. Reloop makes a deck with midi buttons for cues in SSL or NI's TSP but the TTX still takes a torque filled dump on anything before, present, and probably after. You can have the heaviest of hands and still seems like a lightly touching master of the mix with these decks. Shout out to Numark for making one good piece of DJ gear in its long line of failures.
DJBotz 7:30 PM - 7 January, 2016
I for one will say that I thoroughly enjoy using my TTX's. I have 1200's, pdx 2000, and can honestly tell you they are some dope tables. I love my 12's and 2000's as well. People can hate all they want, I like em.
Gio Alex 9:03 PM - 7 January, 2016
I know this might sound a little goofy but I just couldn't get pass how ugly they were. So hideous. Those play/pause buttons though, yikes. lol
RonDu 10:14 PM - 7 January, 2016
Yeah, I don't like the play/pause button as well but they are some awesome tables. They don't look as good as Techs either but they get the job done.
Logisticalstyles 3:49 PM - 8 January, 2016
Definitely not my favorite turntable. I had to take one apart to help a friend replace a motor and it was such a pain to work on. It really made me appreciate the design of the 1200.
Gio Alex 4:00 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Definitely not my favorite turntable. I had to take one apart to help a friend replace a motor and it was such a pain to work on. It really made me appreciate the design of the 1200.

Taking apart a 1200 isn't exactly fun either though.
Logisticalstyles 4:15 PM - 8 January, 2016
Once you get past all those damn screws on the bottom, it's not that bad.
Gio Alex 4:19 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Once you get past all those damn screws on the bottom, it's not that bad.

To me, that's annoying lol. And I used to be an apple technician. Nothing more anyone than too many screws. Especially if they're different sizes.
d:raf 5:05 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
To me, that's annoying lol. And I used to be an apple technician. Nothing more anyone than too many screws. Especially if they're different sizes.

I remember looking up instructions to replace a hard drive in a Powerbook G4. There were 40-something screws involved.
Gio Alex 5:13 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I remember looking up instructions to replace a hard drive in a Powerbook G4. There were 40-something screws involved.

Hahaha I remember that. Shit was a real pain in the ass to get to the HD.
Mangavideo 11:29 PM - 8 January, 2016
Quote:
Shout out to Numark for making one good piece of DJ gear in its long line of failures.

Numark's NS7 Series of Motorized DJ Controllers are pretty solid.
sumoJr 5:48 AM - 9 January, 2016
the idea of them sounded great
if one came across my way for the right price I would pick one up just for scratching, I see a lot of European djs use them for that the extra torque would be nice
Simon Kennedy 8:13 AM - 5 February, 2016
#1 TTX-USB fantastic decks, very sold well made turntables, the best non technics dj turntable on the market, and they seem to hold their pitch better than my Technics, recommended!

Technics don't really deserve dj's loyalty anymore since they stabbed dj's in the back and started asking for £2750$4000 each for the new SL1200GAE's MK7

I use my technics for events were there's other dj's playing, but when its just me I use the TTX-USB's
RonDu 3:02 PM - 5 February, 2016
I have the TT-500, which is the TTX without the display and other minor features. I must say I really have no beefs with them and nor do most who play on them. Ones who do have something negative to say use the "these aren't Technics" banter when they f*ck up a mix or can't match the beats properly. Nah, dude. You simply suck or need to come off the controller/CDJs and shake that rust off. The torque on these are incredible so don't blame the decks.

Recently I experienced an issue where the brake button wouldn't work. For some reason I had to hit the reverse button, let it spin, stop it and then it played fine. I noticed this happened after transporting them. Not sure what's up with that.
DJGALAXY 2:28 AM - 2 March, 2016
I'm been DJ's since 1983. I had 12's but love my TTX1'S. If I wanna Remix a Hip Hop track with a House track. That's plus 50 and Time-stretch is sick. Scratching is on point.
Simon Kennedy 8:34 AM - 9 March, 2016
UPDATE: returned the TTX-USB's due to hum on phono output, got reloop RP-8000S now
JFD 6:09 AM - 8 April, 2017
Just to clarify it, it not the first generation that is called TTX1 but it the FIRST BATCH of TTX1 that as issue, TTX1 been sold 5-6 years and then TTX and TTX usb took relay.

So if you buyed a TTX1 in 2002 maybe you will get trouble, but if it in 2003 or later you should be ok.

I buyed mine in summer 2003, and never got any issue.

Top of the line and still is, TT500 were the same but without fancy electronic...
Only the new one with 5kg torque is better but still nothing fancy, maybe good for the classic style lover as it look kinda like a 1200
fvckJuly 12:22 PM - 29 January, 2018
bumping this thread because I think it's really interesting

I'm by no means a pro dj, but I had a little "gig" last weekend and the dude who asked me to play provided a pair of TTX' for me to use. prior to this, I've been looking at them online and whatnot and I read they're great for turntablism because of the features and the sick motor, but I never saw them in person. huge mistake, because I judged them for their _look_, because to me it seemed as though they had the same cheap plastic chassis as the TTUSB, just painted black. boy was I wrong. these things are just as heavy duty as a 12, with a better motor, more features, great customizability (user swappable tonearm, swap positions of pitch fader and buttons for battle position, adjust torque) and the design just feels smart and thought through, except for the oddly placed ports.

needless to say, it was a pleasure using them and I'm thinking about getting one for listening and sampling at the stu', especially at the very, very attractive used price

what is all this hate about? y'all technics elitists can choke on my meat. techs are cool and all and obviously classics, but just because they're good doesn't mean there are no other good products on the market.
RonDu 11:39 PM - 29 January, 2018
I've been rocking them for about 4 years now since my Techs were stolen. They are solid. Only thing I don't like is the arm and the assembly as it feels cheap. Other than that no one has ever complained about them except the one dude who was f*cking up his mixes and shaking his head saying, "these ain't technics, yo". FOH. Eat a d*ck.
VP 7:26 AM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
bumping this thread because I think it's really interesting

I'm by no means a pro dj, but I had a little "gig" last weekend and the dude who asked me to play provided a pair of TTX' for me to use. prior to this, I've been looking at them online and whatnot and I read they're great for turntablism because of the features and the sick motor, but I never saw them in person. huge mistake, because I judged them for their _look_, because to me it seemed as though they had the same cheap plastic chassis as the TTUSB, just painted black. boy was I wrong. these things are just as heavy duty as a 12, with a better motor, more features, great customizability (user swappable tonearm, swap positions of pitch fader and buttons for battle position, adjust torque) and the design just feels smart and thought through, except for the oddly placed ports.

needless to say, it was a pleasure using them and I'm thinking about getting one for listening and sampling at the stu', especially at the very, very attractive used price

what is all this hate about? y'all technics elitists can choke on my meat. techs are cool and all and obviously classics, but just because they're good doesn't mean there are no other good products on the market.

the ttx and ttxusb are better tables than the best technics. they get a bad rap because the earlier model the ttx1 had motor issues.. the rap got so bad that buy the time they fixed them with the later ttx1 then changed to ttx and ttxusb the damage was already done. they abandoned them. still they are now collector tables.
technics folks are still trying to mod tables to ground them... ttx's have 50%, 100% pitch, pitch swap to battle style, 2 start-stop, reverse, LCD display.
i have m5g's and they don't even come close. the techs arm is superior but that's about it. there's absolutely no one who's used the ttx would say the technics is better. the earlier ttx1 users opinion doesn't count because the ttx and ttxusb are much more durable tables.

i have 2 ttx, 2 ttxusb, 2 tt500 (good but junk), 2 m5g's.
favorite ttx, ttxusb, m5g.................... tt500 if only they fixed them like they did ttx1. anyone who talks down the ttx hasn't used it. period.
but in that era of 2008 and back before the discontinue, the numark ttx/ttxusb turntable came out on top. no question.
fvckJuly 12:22 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
the techs arm is superior

I think that might be part of the reason why people still swear by the techs. they got the arms just right.

I think most of the technics hype boils down to sheer ignorance of a lot of these "purists". reading a lot of their arguments as to why XY is so much worse than technics is because "they've had it for 9655 years and all they had to do is replace RCAs". that's as dumb as me saying that a honda civic is so much better than a porsche because I haven't had any problems and only had to do minimal maintenance - is that the only factor? why do they feel the need to be so elitist about a piece of gear, when there are all the best DJs (especially turntablists) out there, that have used all kinds of gear and they're just as good as on any other table/mixer. say, DJ Angelo, he was (or is?) endorsed by Reloop, a brand a lot of people have very strong opinions on. he used an IQ2 (shock! digital!) and a set of RP6000s (shock! OEMs!), Qbert used his cheapo signature DJ-Tech mixer and STR8-150s (also OEMs). need I say more?

but what REALLY grinds my gears is that 99.9999% of these dudes with these strong opinions have NEVER even TOUCHED any of the gear they're talking about. that reeks of conservatism, being close-minded and ignorant.
AKIEM 6:36 PM - 5 February, 2018
Tell em why ur mad.
lol
fvckJuly 7:25 AM - 6 February, 2018
troll me all you want, but very few things get me going like ignorance does lol
EISEN 12:02 PM - 9 July, 2018
Anyone know if the ttxs can hold a mix? Looking to mix house, r&b, neo soul, uk garage.

I had the tt200s years ago. Great for scratching but couldn't hold a mix for longer than 5 seconds.

Please fill me with wisdom, TTX users!
Taipanic 1:53 PM - 9 July, 2018
Short answer, No.
The original model had issues with overheating but that was resolved in the second generation. Solid deck with digital pitch ranges and a high torque motor.
Taipanic 2:00 PM - 9 July, 2018
Quote:
Short answer, No.
The original model had issues with overheating but that was resolved in the second generation. Solid deck with digital pitch ranges and a high torque motor.

Stupid lack of an edit button...
I was commenting on the decks in general above. The few times I've used them I didn't have any issues with keeping the mix. Just as with any other gear, it does take some time on them to get used to the nuances and feel. I've played on a lot of 1200s that had issues staying in sync with the other deck over the years as well. For the high end tables, mostly down to idiosyncrasies of each individual deck and fine tuning the settings.
Aptidda 6:34 PM - 9 July, 2018
the TTX is going to be a steamin heap of you know what compared to Technics 1200's.

It's really Technics or nothing, there is no comparison or exception. Old or new techs will serve you well.
Madmanwheels 7:15 PM - 21 November, 2018
I have had a pair of numark tt500's which are supposed to be the same as the ttx without the digital display...I do have 1200's as well but I use my numarks in my home studio and i have had them for 9 years now with no problems and i have been hard on them so who knows, i could just be lucky but overall they have been great..would they stand up to me taking them on the road like the 1200s have maybe or maybe not
I will say technics are built like tanks and I think they have time and time again shown there build quality..but I think it really dosen't matter what you are using as long as you are happy and its getting the JOB done..