DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any VCI-300 Users In Here? (DEEZNOTEZ)

freshtodeath 2:31 PM - 24 November, 2008
I haven't gotten a chance to try it out, Guitar Center dosent have a display nor will they let me open the box to try it but I'm pretty convinced this little thing will tremendously help my mobile gigs.

One question I have to DEEZNOTEZ or any other users- Is the headphone output as low as everyone is saying? Because I really listen to my headphones loud when I have no monitor.
DeezNotes 6:10 PM - 25 November, 2008
Is it low? Yes. I usually have it all the way up most of the time. This is using Technics RPDH 1200 headphones. You can get a small headphone amp, but I haven't had the need for that [yet]. Max volume works good enough for me.

If you buy one, check the serial number before you get it. Vestax has a list of serial numbers on their site of units that have some type of malfunction. It might be a link to it on the ITCH forum.

Plus, if you (or Guitar Center) opens the box, there's nothing that could show it as being "open box." The unit is in a protective sleeve, but it's not taped up or anything. I've seen them open up all kinds of gear for customers, so the guys at your store are probably just dicks.
Audio1 6:38 PM - 25 November, 2008
Quote:
just dicks.
DJ Young Herrera 8:38 PM - 25 November, 2008
Deez, do you think its a worthwhile investment? Have you used it at all in the club environment?
DeezNotes 9:22 PM - 25 November, 2008
Do I think it's worthwhile... yes. Have I used it out? Absolutely. What's the catch you say?

Here's my .02 cents:
- There were some units that had a particular issue. Although my serial # fell into that scope I didn't have any issues... until this weekend. I was able to get through the gig okay, but the unit got worse when I got home to test. This is the same unit I shot that youtube vid with... so, yeah... I dunno.
- The headphone, mic and master output is low. The master output isn't a HUGE deal as it gives enough output to achieve loudness. The headphone out is low. I know a lot of deaf DJs and this thing wouldn't cut it. The mic pre sucks. Sound quality is bad; it distorts and buzzes (on mine at least).
- It's not a replacement for 1200s
- It's small and portable. My gig decks have been packed up for a LONG TIME because I only gigged with the VCI when needed. Even with this past gig where we had issues, break-down and haul to the car (which was a LONG walk) was easy with one trip... can't beat that.

If you want to lighten your rig a little bit with a little more control over mixing between two different tracks (cause that's pretty much all you're doing at the club anyway), I'd get it. If you're skeptical... wait it out. Just keep in mind that bugs are fixable. It seems that they can add features in the software which kinda opens things up a little. Hardware limitations are the things you can not change without a mod to the unit.

If you're serious about sound and if you're deaf, I'd recommend a small external mixer and a headphone amp. Even with these two things added it's less to carry that 2 1200s and a mixer... or even 2 CDJs.

Also, I think this thing may be sensitive to electrical interference. So if you're DJing at a power plant, take your 12's.
Dj Kabrini Greens 10:51 PM - 25 November, 2008
Also, I think this thing may be sensitive to electrical interference. So if you're DJing at a power plant, take your 12's.

Damn I was just out the door when I read this lol
Djbran 12:15 AM - 26 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
just dicks.

+1
pdidy 12:37 AM - 26 November, 2008
i've been using 1200s for 15+ yrs, cdjs for 4 yrs, and serato since it came out and i really love the vci-300. its great for my free or small gigs for friends and family and u can really scratch(crab) on it cause ima scratch dj(see deeznotes youtube vid). i use my mackie board mixer when i need to play very loud or on a big system .the headphones are low but loud enough for me. your laptop must be up to spec (ie. 1gig ram, dou core). it can work on lower specs but it may freeze or have drop outs some times. i now use my vci for most of my gigs but my top of the line high paying gigs get cdjs or 1200s. i guess you can say im very happy with it! ima mobile dj and its the best investment i made since serato came out.
freshtodeath 1:20 PM - 26 November, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback DEEZ-

Im more than likely gonna pick one up and hopefully I'll like it. Your video is convincing.

Can this handle a club environment? Or is it too sensitive?
DeezNotes 2:20 PM - 26 November, 2008
I think it can. It feels very sturdy.. like any other piece of Vestax gear. I've lifted it up while playing live (had to get something out of the case it was sitting on), so I don't think vibrations would do anything to it. Whenever I think of the club, images of cigarette smoke and beer surrounding turntables pops into my head. I wouldn't spill anything on it... and I don't know how long it will last if you blow cigarette smoke at it... lol
DJ Young Herrera 2:39 PM - 26 November, 2008
Cigarette smoke is a an equipment killer. I hate getting home and unpacking the gig bag that stinks like the club.
DeezNotes 10:47 PM - 27 November, 2008
Although I haven't confirmed it, I think my laptop power supply may have been the cause of the problems I had last weekend. Its an aftermarket supply which I also believe is the cause of my laptop getting fried. The VCI worked fine on my desktop and also on my laptop before it died. I still have more testing to do in order to verify if the wireless mic played an issue or not, but none the less the issue I saw doesn't exist now... I have another battle to fight now.

Tip: Only use genuine Apple power adapters... I thought that's what I was buying, but it wasn't the real thing.
Frankie Falcione 12:30 AM - 30 November, 2008
I had a VCI 300 and sent two of them back. The first was a defective unit in which if you touched the right platter it froze the unit. The second unit kept freezing from electrical interference. The Mic was terrible to use for any gigs like weddings or anything with announcements, it gave a terrible buzzing sound and would short out the hardware. The software is fine (ITCH) but the hardware needs improving. I wouldn't recommend the VCI for gigs club or mobile!.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:51 AM - 30 November, 2008
*puts the credit card back in wallet*
Frankie Falcione 12:54 AM - 30 November, 2008
It's too bad cuz the damn thing is ideal too!! Just couldn't trust the little guy to perform properly. Went back to my SSL, mixer and CD players.
DJ Manila Ice 6:02 AM - 30 November, 2008
I did some quick videos regarding the VCI 300. Here's some cuts by me and a quick review.

Scratching with the VCI 300
Watchwww.youtube.com

and here's a quick walkthrough:
Watchwww.youtube.com

And here's some pictures.

djmanilaice.googlepages.com
And here's one for the size of the devices

Overall, I like it. It's pretty nice not having to deal with tons of wires, and being able to scratch anywhere you want with a laptop, and a usb.

DJ Manila Ice
Maskrider 3:11 AM - 1 December, 2008
I might consider on buying one maybe you can post the Computer specs and Operating system that you guys are using.

Nice video by the way Manila Ice. Go PacMan!!!