Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

no sound at all through one channel, have tried everything.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Clive Simpson 9:21 AM - 22 August, 2013
I have been running sl1 for several years with no probs. I am currently using mountain lion 10.7.4 and it had been working fine until this week. No I can get no sound through one channel/deck at all. I have changed decks, mixer, speakers, amp, control records, stylus all to no avail. I uninstalled all serato software from my mac including drivers then downloaded 2.5.0 to start again. I got a USB
USBExpressCardCantWake_Huawei.kext error message. I got some advice on how to get rid of this online and followed it. Reloaded and still exactly the same only worse! Now just extremely faint on one channel, nothing still on the other and now the extremely faint sound is only coming out of one of my speakers. I downloaded 2.5.0 to my dad's windows 7 laptop but it would not allow the drivers to be installed and got a hardware not connected message where it clearly was. I am completely at my wits end. Could it be the box? A sound engineer has checked all audio hardware and sees no apparent problems please please please help!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:42 PM - 22 August, 2013
Hey Clive,

It could be the box but at this point you need to try it on another computer. Preferably a Mac so you don't have to deal with the driver BS of Windows.
If you don't have a Mac follow these steps to get the device seen on Windows:

Click on the Start menu.
Type in the letters UAC into the search field.
Click on the one thing that pops up.
Move the slider in the next window all the way down to 'never'.
Restart your computer.

Once done, you will need to open the 'device manager':

Click Start menu.
Right click on Computer and choose 'manage'.
Click on the 'device manager'.

Now locate the Serato usb device under the 'serial bus controllers', right click on it,
and choose to uninstall.
During the uninstall process make sure to check the option in the lower left corner of
the window that pops up that says "delete driver software'.

Once the driver is gone, plug the Rane device into a different usb port on your computer and follow these directions:

1. Shut down any program you have open.
2. Click on the Start menu in the lower left corner of your desktop.
3. Click on All Programs.
4. Click on the Serato folder.
5. Click on the ScratchLIVE folder.
6. Double click the 'Update Driver' link.

Once updated try opening SSL.

If it still says 'hardware disconnected' try unplugging and replugging the Rane device into the same port.

If your still having issues you'll need to go back to the device manager and uninstall the driver using the directions above again.

Once done, unplug the Rane device, plug it into another usb port, and follow the directions to install the driver via the 'update driver' link.

If it still doesn't work uninstall it and try it on another port.
You get the idea.

Hopefully you'll find one port that works.

I would also suggest unplugging ANY other usb devices prior to trying to install the Rane device driver.

Let us know your findings and we'll go from there.
Clive Simpson 10:32 PM - 23 August, 2013
Quick update. I went back into my mac and got rid totally of all bits relating to the USB error message. Reinstalled serato 2.5.0. No error mesage this time. Turned macbook off for a while then it would not boot up.Macbook is now being repaired. HD fine I just deleted something I should'nt have apparently. The guy is backing up all to external drive and reinstalling everything, not including third party stuff so willbe a fresh clean set up. I get it back in morn and will try again. Have also got hold of another interface (SL3) so hoping I have all bases covered. Only other computers I can try on are windows 7, will this work or will I need to get drivers somewhere? have you come across the USBExpressCardCantWake message before and has anyone reported problems with it interfering with serato before? It's fingers crossed for the morning for me..again! have gigs both sat and sun so am pretty anxious