DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ok to mix Active Speaker and Sub Brands?

DJ Paully 4:50 PM - 15 August, 2013
I am looking to add an active sub to my 2-Active speaker setup. I am finding some good deals on 18-inch used subs but they are different brands. Anything to worry about?

Does anyone else have a mixed setup?

Cheers,
DJ Matty Stiles 5:08 PM - 15 August, 2013
Anything to worry about? Not much really
Taipanic 5:10 PM - 15 August, 2013
Make you have the crossover points optimized for each speaker & make sure they are not out of phase.
Mark Z 2:50 PM - 27 September, 2013
Was looking online for mention of the same question. I'm looking to replace my Mackie SA1521Z 2 way speakers with JBL PRX635 (3 way). They seem much more powerful, and much lighter (easier on my back). I use Mackie SWA1801Z subs. Is it OK to mix the JBL & Mackie, and will there be any sort of delay or latency between the two?
Joee 9:10 PM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
Was looking online for mention of the same question. I'm looking to replace my Mackie SA1521Z 2 way speakers with JBL PRX635 (3 way). They seem much more powerful, and much lighter (easier on my back). I use Mackie SWA1801Z subs. Is it OK to mix the JBL & Mackie, and will there be any sort of delay or latency between the two?

yes, there is no rule that says you have to use the same brand top/subs
the_black_one 10:19 PM - 27 September, 2013
EV tops /yorkville subs

NM NH
O.B.1 1:12 AM - 28 September, 2013
You will be fine. I run my JBL tops with my Mackie subs, and my Mackie tops with my JBL subs interchangabely all the time.
DJ GaFFle 3:25 PM - 28 September, 2013
Just don't mix up sub pairs. Don't have a York sub right next to a Mackie one. They'll phase one another out at certain frequencies.
dj_soo 1:19 AM - 29 September, 2013
should be ok. I run a pair of yorkvilles with my QSCs all the time.

better if you run through the sub's crossover rather than the top's high pass.

even better if you run a standalone crossover.
the_black_one 1:31 AM - 29 September, 2013
Drive rack or better yet an Ashly

NM NH
ram63 4:19 AM - 9 June, 2017
Helpful discussion. My question is this. I am using a JBL Eon 618S with Mackie Thump 15's for mains. Can I go from my mixer out to my sub in and then use the thru to go to the Maclie ins. My sub and mains do not have the high pass option.
pdidy 7:49 AM - 9 June, 2017
Quote:
Helpful discussion. My question is this. I am using a JBL Eon 618S with Mackie Thump 15's for mains. Can I go from my mixer out to my sub in and then use the thru to go to the Maclie ins. My sub and mains do not have the high pass option.

Yes......but of course it's always better to hi pass your tops to avoid possible cancellation but that's not an option.
O.B.1 4:39 PM - 9 June, 2017
Quote:

I thought there was a crossover button on the 618, my prx subs have it.
You can always roll off the low end on the thump EQ, better than nothing...
ram63 5:06 PM - 9 June, 2017
Thanks O.B.1. I also noticed that if I turn my main off and play my bass or use my mic with only the sub the sound is almost inaudible unless I turn up the volume on the sub. How am I assured that the sub and main signals are being properly split so that not to much bass is going through my Mackie mains. I am new at this so I am still learning. When I turn my main back up it sounds all right, but still difficult to hear how much sound is coming out of my sub and how much is coming out of my main Thanks again
DJBWILL 1:33 AM - 7 March, 2018
Ok I know some of these or but I have an event coming up this Saturday and one of JBL srx815 stop working. I have a prx815. Can I get away with using them together,will it sound good. I have them in my room but it’s a small space and it don’t sound bad. Idk in a larger area. I have the srx818 sub too. Will it be okay. Thank you in advance.
Johnnynights 2:46 AM - 7 March, 2018
@DJBWILL if you don't mind asking what happened to your srx815p?...does it make a popping sound and turns on and off when connected?...

You will be fine using the prx815...is not recommended to mix but if you have too I would do it sometimes things happen...
DJBWILL 4:56 AM - 7 March, 2018
It makes aloud screeching noises every-time I turn it on. It pop first. I turned it off then turned on and there was the noise. But it’s still under warranty. I just need something right away. So there wouldn’t be any counseling out of any frequencies. Thank you for responding.
DJBWILL 5:04 AM - 7 March, 2018
I have two mackie thump 2nd generation,but I don’t think they will be enough. It’s about a 100 to 150 people and really don’t want to use them with the srx subwoofer.
Pro 1 10:07 PM - 22 June, 2018
So I started with 2 alto TS 215 tops a couple years ago as my first speakers. I purchased an EV EKX 12p last year as the beginning of my upgrade process. Of course the ev’s sound a lot better than the altos but I currently use 1 of each for my 2 top gigs as I haven’t purchased and ekx12p yet. Anybody else ever used mismatch tops? Most of this discussion seems to be where the tops don’t match the subs. I want to go ahead and get the matching ev but of course want to stall as long as possible. Idk If the crowd notices but I can notice the difference in output of each easily.
Pro 1 10:08 PM - 22 June, 2018
Quote:
So I started with 2 alto TS 215 tops a couple years ago as my first speakers. I purchased an EV EKX 12p last year as the beginning of my upgrade process. Of course the ev’s sound a lot better than the altos but I currently use 1 of each for my 2 top gigs as I haven’t purchased another ekx12p yet. Anybody else ever used mismatch tops? Most of this discussion seems to be where the tops don’t match the subs. I want to go ahead and get the matching ev but of course want to stall as long as possible. Idk If the crowd notices but I can notice the difference in output of each easily.
dj_soo 2:05 AM - 23 June, 2018
Looks unprofessional imo and because the class of the two speakers is so different, you're not running the ekx to its full potential if you're balancing the two tops.
DeeJayOnyx 3:00 AM - 23 June, 2018
Quote:
Looks unprofessional imo and because the class of the two speakers is so different, you're not running the ekx to its full potential if you're balancing the two tops.

It’s irrelevant to match the tops and subs. You can always cover them with black stage tape or something equivalent. You’ll see these setup on some of the professional rig. Sometimes they even take out the logo and have a unknown brand.
dj_soo 7:08 AM - 23 June, 2018
He's talking about mismatched tops - not tops and subs.
DeeJayOnyx 8:08 AM - 23 June, 2018
Quote:
He's talking about mismatched tops - not tops and subs.

Ok my bad! I didn’t see the quote on your message and I was thinking that you’re referring to the Op.
Pro 1 9:21 PM - 24 June, 2018
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got another ekx 12p on yesterday before seeing these tho. Going to use those 2 with my ekx18 sub for my larger gigs and the alto ts215's for my smaller gigs moving forward.
dj_soo 6:10 AM - 25 June, 2018
While the TS215s will go lower, output wise, you probably could handle the same amount of people if not more with negligible hit to the low end using just the EKX12Ps and have a lot more headroom when it comes to volume. The TS215s will go about 6 or 7 hz lower so while it's not insignificant, it's not a huge difference either.

I would try out a smaller gig using just the EKX12Ps and see if it's a huge difference in bass from the Alto's and if not, consider selling the Alto's for a 2nd EKX18P and you have a great system that's pretty scalable.