DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Opening set to impress

PumpkinHead 11:41 PM - 1 August, 2013
I've been given the opportunity to do an opening set, for a club I'm very interested in playing at permanently, as a trial.
The club is straight Hip hop and R&B with a little dancehall here and there - no EDM. I'm more of an open format DJ but I love playing Hip Hop and R&B (I've just never had the opportunity before at the clubs I'm normally booked at).
For the most part 99% of my gigs I play the whole night myself. Building up the music, doing the whole musical journey throughout the night. So, I've never done a specific "opening" set before, as a result the 1-2hrs restriction has me feeling a little unsure.
Any tips on the opening set and how I can impress?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:16 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
I've been given the opportunity to do an opening set, for a club I'm very interested in playing at permanently, as a trial.
The club is straight Hip hop and R&B with a little dancehall here and there - no EDM. I'm more of an open format DJ but I love playing Hip Hop and R&B (I've just never had the opportunity before at the clubs I'm normally booked at).
For the most part 99% of my gigs I play the whole night myself. Building up the music, doing the whole musical journey throughout the night. So, I've never done a specific "opening" set before, as a result the 1-2hrs restriction has me feeling a little unsure.
Any tips on the opening set and how I can impress?

best tip: dont try to impress, dont use the opening gig to try and stepstone up, yuor jobs to warm up the crowd. If you want to impress do it by digging your crates and finding some good throwback joints and good warm up music, dont drop current bangers or try to upstage the headliner.
the_black_one 1:20 AM - 2 August, 2013
BEZZ is on point..... Scout the club, get a general idea of the type of crowd your going to be dealing with. Do your research, Don't drop the bangers that you know the headlining Dj is gonna play.... Don't play at full volume and make sure you stay out of the red in the mixer. Have a shot or two (IF YOU DRINK) to loosen you up.....

NM NH
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:28 AM - 2 August, 2013
Last weekend Excision played here, the FIRST opener of the night played one of excisions biggest songs to a group of like 30 people, every person in the building literally just stopped and looked around like ummmmmmm what are you doing. I heard excision was not pleased about the situation lol.

Moral of the story, he was trying to hard to impress and steal the stage. I guess in his head hed show the promoter how crazy he could get the crowd hyped and get booked as a headliner someday.....he wont be booked at that venue or by that promoter (or lets face it ANYONE who was there) ever again.
the_black_one 1:33 AM - 2 August, 2013
SMFH.......
the_black_one 1:33 AM - 2 August, 2013
NM NH
Chrisjin 2:09 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:

The club is straight Hip hop and R&B with a little dancehall here and there - no EDM.

thats whats up
DJ Matty Stiles 7:22 AM - 2 August, 2013
Bezzle one of the touring companies I used to work for brought Calvin Harris out to headline a festival a couple years ago. John Dahlback played "I feel so close" and he got the same reaction. Everyone stopped and was like "ummm". He quickly realised the mistake he made and quick mixed out. Funny shit.
PumpkinHead 11:20 AM - 2 August, 2013
Thanks for the advice; I know not to play the bangers and to keep the volume low.
By "impress" I meant the advice you're giving - and that's to play/do the right thing. I've visited the place twice now to scope out the crowd and vibe and I'll probably go again before I play, to get a good idea of the 'resident/headliner'.
So keep to the throwback tracks and don't get the crowd too hype. Funny because, at my usual gig I play for a slightly older crowd and it's the throwbacks that get them hype :-) so I little reversal I suppose.
Should I keep the song length a little longer too?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:24 PM - 2 August, 2013
Ya keep the song lengths longer when ya can, really no need to be quick mixing super hype sets at 10pm lol

Also it hasnt been mentioned but ima let this dirty truth out of the bag. If you want to impress and get booked again your mixing isnt the biggest factor....make sure you get as many friends/following there early to your set and keep them dancing and drinking. To promoters and owners skills is faaaaar second to $$$$ and asses in seats
DJYoshi 1:43 PM - 2 August, 2013
start off with some chill sh**.
Oldies, goodies, oldskool, new sh**
hit em with tracks that you can nod your head to and entice people to get on the floor
the club is worried about 3 things
1. can the dj bring people
2. can the dj keep the crowd
3. can the people buy drinks while the dj's here

ask the club if they have bottle specials going on for you to announce
do some call and response type of sh** and give away free cd's

think of the opening set as a preview of what's to come... like a strip tease.
DJ Mozo 3:31 PM - 2 August, 2013
Opening hip hop, i stick to almost all older school stuff, like Mos Def, Tribe, stuff like that. Maybe towards the end of my opening set I'll throw in some J cole or something like that.. all mellow and never to uptempo.. Always gotta dig for some legit tracks...

Opening EDM, I tend to stick to deeper house or just funky disco house.. Brings good vibes and people can bob their heads to the beats :)
 6 5:48 PM - 2 August, 2013
I always start with classical music. I wouldn't want the crowd to get too hyped up too early.

nm
PumpkinHead 6:21 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:

Also it hasnt been mentioned but ima let this dirty truth out of the bag. If you want to impress and get booked again your mixing isnt the biggest factor....make sure you get as many friends/following there early to your set and keep them dancing and drinking. To promoters and owners skills is faaaaar second to $$$$ and asses in seats

Yes, I realise this is very important!

Quote:

Mic work isn't really done over here. I don't think I've heard any DJ use the mic. Maybe that's an opportunity for me to be the first.
DJ Mozo 7:40 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
I always start with classical music. I wouldn't want the crowd to get too hyped up too early.

nm

haha.. when I dj weddings, like during dinner/cocktail hour, I tend to use some piano covers of pop songs. It's awesome when people are paying attention to the melody, realizing, oh crap i know this song, but wait its piano.. whaaaaaaaa? That goes along with Michael Buble and the typical wedding songs as well. but still :)
djaction 8:04 PM - 2 August, 2013
nothing beats scratching over Beethoven.
 6 8:21 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
nothing beats scratching my Mona's Baby oven.

You're weird. lol

Nm
pdidy 9:55 PM - 2 August, 2013
Play 2 year old + bangers regardless of genre. Digggg hard for older bangers. Don't play new shit. That is the job of a good opening dj.
pdidy 9:58 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I realise this is very important!

Quote:

Mic work isn't really done over here. I don't think I've heard any DJ use the mic. Maybe that's an opportunity for me to be the first.

DON'T EVER USE A MIC IF YOU ARE NOT ALREDY A GREAT MIC DJ.
auttomattik 10:32 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
start off with some chill sh**.

Oldies, goodies, oldskool, new sh**

hit em with tracks that you can nod your head to and entice people to get on the floor

the club is worried about 3 things

1. can the dj bring people

2. can the dj keep the crowd

3. can the people buy drinks while the dj's here

think of the opening set as a preview of what's to come... like a strip tease.

What the F*CK!!! Why are all F*cking swears being edited on this piece of SH*T forum!!!
F*CK the dumb SH*T, I'm outta here B*TCHES!
Mr. Goodkat 10:37 PM - 2 August, 2013
i dont think its bad to play new stuff if it fits the time slot. some new songs arent going to be prime time 12-2 material.
 6 10:46 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
i dont think its bad to play new stuff if it fits the time slot. some new songs arent going to be prime time 12-2 material.

Yup. Perfect opportunity to break new music. And I don't meant shit you know will be mainstream the minute they're released.

nm
auttomattik 10:47 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:

I totally agree. I think it's all about vibe not weather it's new or old, fast/slow. Just don't get cheap thrills, push it a little and taste make some shit.
Mr. Goodkat 10:53 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yup. Perfect opportunity to break new music. And I don't meant shit you know will be mainstream the minute they're released.

nm

1st week: play something i know/can dance too
hits radio: 8 million requests for that song before, during and after you play it.
the_black_one 10:56 PM - 2 August, 2013
nothing wrong with breaking new joints early ..... think about it as an appetizer .... it opens up the pallet for the main course

NM NH
pdidy 11:13 PM - 2 August, 2013
There's nothing wrong with playing new non-banger......
Thought that went without saying........(roles eyes)
the_black_one 11:20 PM - 2 August, 2013
it's funny how on some subjects the forum is soooooo divided and others we think alike .... that life !!!!!! ***** back to the topic ******

yeah!!! dont get on the mic!!!
 6 11:46 PM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with playing new non-banger......
Thought that went without saying........(roles eyes)

With the amount of noobs here, nothing should be left to speculation.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 12:06 AM - 3 August, 2013
exactly
PumpkinHead 6:27 AM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
yeah!!! dont get on the mic!!!

I'm very apprehensive about using the mic anyway, never done it before. Plus English isn't the mother tongue of the locals and I'm not gonna take this as my opportunity to flex what I've earned from Rosetta Stone.
Discobee 11:37 PM - 3 August, 2013
ZERO songs with Fatman Scoop on it. ZERO!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:58 PM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:

noones saying only play old stuff, were just saying not to play current bangers, old bangers are fine and new grooves are ok but leave the current BANGERS for prime time
the_black_one 12:38 AM - 4 August, 2013
Fuck fat man scoop!!!!

NM NH
DJ Remy USA 7:02 AM - 4 August, 2013
Just don't burn the headliner. To be honest even if you were to play all the hot shit a good DJ can still come on and rock the crowd with classics.

In short just avoid current hot songs watch out for the songs that say put your hands in the air cause likely at 1030 no ones hands will be going in the air unless its Tao Cruz's Dynamite which is a great 1030 track now a days
Dj Nyce 3:37 PM - 4 August, 2013
opening is tougher than headlining because you have a restriction on what you can play. the headliner can throw on the hottest record of the day and people will act like jesus just came back.

there's so much heat between 1990 and 2012. digg in your library. find those old hits and obscure b-sides that you haven't played in years. i.e. Benzino - Rock The Party
Discobee 9:37 PM - 4 August, 2013
Quote:
In short just avoid current hot songs watch out for the songs that say put your hands in the air cause likely at 1030 no ones hands will be going in the air unless its Tao Cruz's Dynamite which is a great 1030 track now a days

Dynamite - 2 years ago...peak hour banger

2013 - back of the crates to a 10:30pm warm up track

2014 - Taio Cruz - who that?

Haha
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:22 PM - 5 August, 2013
Quote:

Awww man - so no PUT YOUR FUCKIN' HANDS UP!!!!!!! joints at 10pm?
PumpkinHead 7:16 PM - 5 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That would include Lil Jon too, then?
Chrisjin 7:28 PM - 5 August, 2013
Nah, Lil Jon is what would get people hype but has to be the right joint at the right time..give some 90s hippity hoppity some love..Ruff Ryders, Wu-tang, Gangstarr, Eightball & MJG,..hell throw in that J-D/Jay-Z Money Aint a Thang or even some Brat tat tat tat
PumpkinHead 7:46 PM - 5 August, 2013
Quote:
Nah, Lil Jon is what would get people hype but has to be the right joint at the right time..give some 90s hippity hoppity some love..Ruff Ryders, Wu-tang, Gangstarr, Eightball & MJG,..hell throw in that J-D/Jay-Z Money Aint a Thang or even some Brat tat tat tat

Yep, I understand, I was making a joke from Pumpin Payne's comment

Quote:
Quote:

I always though "Put your Fuckin Hands Up" was a Lil Jon line. I've got many a "hype intro" with that phrase.

But yes, back to the real advice...I'm going to feel very comfortable playing some 90s and early 2000 bangers. I feel as though only playing 2yr old tracks will still burn the headliner.
Taipanic 8:10 PM - 5 August, 2013
Quote:
opening is tougher than headlining because you have a restriction on what you can play. the headliner can throw on the hottest record of the day and people will act like jesus just came back.

there's so much heat between 1975 and 2012. digg in your library. find those old hits and obscure b-sides that you haven't played in years. i.e. Benzino - Rock The Party

Fixed
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:00 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
That would include Lil Jon too, then?

Naw - Shots always works good around 9:30 - 1st half hour to 45 mins of opening....

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS - EEeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrbbbbbbboooooodddddddddaaaaayyy
Mr. Goodkat 12:29 AM - 6 August, 2013
if you play shots outside of spring break or cheezy vacay destination, you should be imprisoned.
DJ Remy USA 2:17 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
if you play shots outside of spring break or cheezy vacay destination, you should be imprisoned.

fool they still play shots on the regular in the clubs here. I hear it every time I go out and guess what the crowd still loves that track and eats it up.
slimmjimm 4:15 AM - 6 August, 2013
Not gonna lie, shots is still a must play in my sets.
the_black_one 4:30 AM - 6 August, 2013
Keeping it reall

NM NH
DJMark 4:42 AM - 6 August, 2013
I can't remember the last time I played anything by LMFAO, I must have blocked it out of my mind the way one tries to do with the awful things in life....

dogshit on shoe, incontinent bum in doorway, pigeons in street, Republicans in Congress, FatAss Spoop, and LMFAO.
Mr. Goodkat 6:47 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

fool they still play shots on the regular in the clubs here. I hear it every time I go out and guess what the crowd still loves that track and eats it up.

man, thats rough. i keep those songs around for 20$-100$ requests.
DJ Remy USA 10:23 AM - 6 August, 2013
No one gets mad if you don't play it but shots is the new Montell Jordan This Is How We Do It. Its going to be in clubs for the next 20 yrs
PumpkinHead 10:58 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
I can't remember the last time I played anything by LMFAO, I must have blocked it out of my mind the way one tries to do with the awful things in life....

+1
DJ GaFFle 12:13 PM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

there's so much heat between 1975 and 2012. digg in your library. find those old hits and obscure b-sides that you haven't played in years. i.e. Benzino - Rock The Party

Fixed

Thank you... some of the dopest, most innovative music ever came from the 70's.

(nm)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:06 PM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

man, thats rough. i keep those songs around for 20$-100$ requests.

At the commercial spots i play shots is a must play per managment....they use it to anmounce shot specials