DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best I mean, best choice for active Subwoofer

Seoul 10:55 AM - 31 July, 2013
What's up DJs!

I am new. I am in process of purchasing my first equipments.

I know little bit about DJing, skills, equipments etc...need your opinion and insights.

I NEED a POWERED PA SYSTEM.
I do not have van, truck, suv, matter of fact, i have chevy monte carlo (2 door)!!
Needless to say, i do not have a room, two mackie srms, stands coffin lights.... I was driving like a asian lady...

My gigs are in South Central LA, Size of half court of NBA. 150- 200 people. Indoor.

I must have a (or two) subs.

I looked for some compact settings like QSC k15, with ksub and mackie DLM series. During my research, I figured SIZE=bass amount.
And their price was too high.

My price range for whole set up is
$1000~ $1500
I am pretty sure i can find a decent package.

This is the plan. Top PAs in truck, sub(s) in back seat or passenger seat.

Shall i get mackie srm 450(since it has so much positive reviews) for the tops for like 7-800, and get a cheaper sub?
Or
Get like peavy or marathon packages?

This intro got too long. I might sound new, but there aint no shame in my game.

WHAT IS THE BEST POWERED SUB for $600 below which i can fit in the back seat o my car?

Help the new guy out
Thanks in advance
DJ GaFFle 11:36 AM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
$4000~ $5500

Fixed
DJ Reflex 4:08 PM - 31 July, 2013
Seoul - You ain't gonna get much for $1500 for the complete set-up (like DJ GaFFle said). Maybe just the tops for that much. A good pair of QSC or JBL mains for example. The Mackie SRM 450's aren't bad (I got 4 of 'em), but they are the low end price and functionality wise. I've never heard the DLM series in action, but they look like the new thing in compact sound.
As far as a sub for $600... uh, nope. Not going to find one. Size wise, the BOSE bass module might be your best bet, but don't expect chest-thumping sound waves from it. It will add room-filling bass, but it's not for club use. You need to move a lot of air for that and can only be done with a large, front loaded speaker (18").
On the cheap side, Harbinger (Guitar Center) makes a sub, but not as good compared to QSC or JBL.
Good luck dude - you might be able to find some good deals around. Check around for some discontinued subs like the QSC HPR181 series.
Taipanic 5:04 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
$4000~ $5500

Fixed

+1. Don't think I use a single piece of equipment that cost under $1000, not including Dicers & Headphones.
Taipanic 5:06 PM - 31 July, 2013
For $600, I recommend the ZXa1 sub. Bass you can hear, not necessarily feel. Will fit in the back seat of any car (NM).
Joee 5:17 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
For $600, I recommend the ZXa1 sub. Bass you can hear, not necessarily feel. Will fit in the back seat of any car (NM).

+1

for the money you have to spend you options are limited, you could get
2---> www.proaudiostar.com
& 1 add the second when you get more money--> www.proaudiostar.com

or get two, than add a sub when you can, either way i don't think you could go wrong--> www.proaudiostar.com
DJ GaFFle 5:41 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:

Best believe you would have been devoured w/o that (NM) clause. :-)

(NH/NM)
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:55 PM - 31 July, 2013
www.amazon.com

Quote:

$1000~ $1500

Joee 7:17 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
www.amazon.com

Quote:
$1000~ $1500

not the least bit funny, you have to excuse bezzle, that's just bezzle being bezzle

like i said.....
2 ev zlx12p's 12 inch top box $800
1 ev zxa1 sub 12 inch sub $600
= $1,400

well within your budget, and probably the best you gonna get within you budget if you want to buy two top boxes and one sub for $1,500
Joee 7:23 PM - 31 July, 2013
not my cup of tea, but you may like it
www.sonicelectronix.com

www.planetdj.com
Seoul 7:37 PM - 31 July, 2013
Thanks everyone.
I will definately check it out.
And yea i will save and get me a van so size wouldnt be the issue here.
This is my plan
SAVE UPGRDE SAVE UPGRADE SAVE UPGRADE
Seoul 7:39 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
$4000~ $5500

Fixed

I wish.
Maybe a year later..
Seoul 7:47 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1

for the money you have to spend you options are limited, you could get
2---> www.proaudiostar.com
& 1 add the second when you get more money--> www.proaudiostar.com

or get two, than add a sub when you can, either way i don't think you could go wrong--> www.proaudiostar.com

I think this is it!!
Joee 7:51 PM - 31 July, 2013
heres what you need to do, Trust me, forget about bass for now, get your self two qsc k12 or two yamaha dxr12...........than add the sub latter

you will be alot happier in the long run

subs qsckw181
or
yamaha dxs15
Joee 7:54 PM - 31 July, 2013
the_black_one 8:23 PM - 31 July, 2013
Save save save save save... Then buy high quality stuff that does not need to upgrade
dj_soo 9:30 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Thanks everyone.
This is my plan

You're better off buy two decent quality tops for $1500 and renting your subs until you can afford them - you'll save money in the long run and won't create a reputation for being the Dj with a cheap, shitty sound system
DJ GaFFle 9:37 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
heres what you need to do, Trust me, forget about bass for now, get your self two qsc k12 or two yamaha dxr12...........than add the sub latter

subs qsckw181
or
yamaha dxs15

This is some good advice. I've been reading great things about the Yamaha DXR and DSR line. The DXR's have a 7 year warranty and that means a LOT. The K12's are gonna be your standard good box. With your budget, I'd go the Yamaha DXR12 route, then be on the lookout for subs down the line. If you go the very low-priced but decent sounding EV ZLX route, you'll $ave a ton but be lacking in the highs as far as overall output. You'll realize this box's limitation when you compare them to a higher priced/higher quality unit.

Remember this: buy once, cry once...
Joee 9:41 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone.
This is my plan

You're better off buy two decent quality tops for $1500 and renting your subs until you can afford them - you'll save money in the long run and won't create a reputation for being the Dj with a cheap, shitty sound system

HAY HAY HAYYYYYYYYYY.................lol, i use zxa1/zxa1subs for my smaller gigs not cheap and shitty

when i need the big boys, i pull out the zxa5/vrx918sp

but don't you call my zxa1 sub cheap and shitty i love them things............lol
JDforKing 9:56 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone.
This is my plan

HAY HAY HAYYYYYYYYYY.................lol, i use zxa1/zxa1subs for my smaller gigs not cheap and shitty

but don't you call my zxa1 sub cheap and shitty i love them things............lol

I must agree. I love the sound of the zxa1s. I also have a dxr8. The dxr8 has more output but i prefer the sound of the zxa1s.
dj_soo 10:57 PM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone.
This is my plan

I wasn't talking to you, but I wouldn't think a single 12" sub is going to do much for events of 150-200 people...

EV is quality tho...
Joee 12:17 AM - 1 August, 2013
^^ i know, just messing wit you........lol
Seoul 12:33 AM - 1 August, 2013
Just heard mackie DLM12

Not to start a riot,
But it sounded good to me
And
It will meet the sound level i need.

I got a good deal so i ma get the pair
And rent the subs till i can save up to buy one.
Joee 12:34 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

subs qsckw181
or
yamaha dxs15

This is some good advice. I've been reading great things about the Yamaha DXR and DSR line. The DXR's have a 7 year warranty and that means a LOT. The K12's are gonna be your standard good box. With your budget, I'd go the Yamaha DXR12 route, then be on the lookout for subs down the line. If you go the very low-priced but decent sounding EV
ZLX route, you'll $ave a ton but be lacking in the highs as far as overall output. You'll
realize this box's limitation when you compare them to a higher priced/higher quality unit.

Remember this: buy once, cry once...

thank you sir, these would be a great option also you can always buy your bass later, i use zxa1 sub, but i wouldn't you it in a half court nba------------------> www.idjnow.com

i'm not trying to confuse you seoul, just want you to get the best for your money, get two tops buy the sub later
the_black_one 12:36 AM - 1 August, 2013
budgets and sound systems dont go well together.

NM NH
Joee 12:38 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Just heard mackie DLM12

Not to start a riot,
And

nooooooooooooooooooooo..............lol

you think the mackies sound good, you need to hear the rcf, they used to make mackies back when there were good, sorry to say but the modern day mackies are trash, but a if your happy with it thats all that matters.......i just wish you would have bought them before i did all this typing...........lol
Seoul 12:45 AM - 1 August, 2013
nooooooooooooooooooooo..............lol

you think the mackies sound good, you need to hear the rcf, they used to make mackies back when there were good, sorry to say but the modern day mackies are trash, but a if your happy with it thats all that matters.......i just wish you would have bought them before i did all this typing...........lol

Lol no not yet.

I never heard rcf.
Whats the price?
How about dimensions? Would it fit in my car,??
Seoul 12:52 AM - 1 August, 2013
I hate to give up sounds for size. But i do not have any choice.
I think i ma listen to the advice of getting higher end tops and get the subs later..

Because subs, i need warranty....

I compared srm450 v2, thump, dlm 12.

Thump sound is like disposable camera (no offense)

Srms as yall know, sounds decent

But dlm had some bass it was quiet clear.
And overall sound traveled longer and clearer.

Plus the size advantage.

Since i am putting off subs for later, i think dlm should cover more bass than srms

I do not have enough experience
I can only tell you what i know and what i think i know.

I will definately check out rcfs.

Thanks for all your inputs!!
Joee 12:58 AM - 1 August, 2013
ok so you haven't bought them yet? any one of these here, trust you can't go wrong

www.idjnow.com

www.musiciansfriend.com

www.proaudiostar.com

buy once buy wright, you will be happy on the long run
Joee 1:01 AM - 1 August, 2013
and another thing anyone of these speakers can be had for cheaper than there list price, example i use these---> www.proaudiostar.com

i paid $1,300, you have to haggle
Seoul 1:05 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:

Yep thats what im trying to do!

I ma check them out.
Maybe i need to go guitar center and hear them then go buy online
the_black_one 1:26 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yep thats what im trying to do!

I ma check them out.
Maybe i need to go guitar center and hear them then go buy online

have GC match the on line price

NM NH
Seoul 1:28 AM - 1 August, 2013
What is NM NH?
DJ GaFFle 1:32 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Just heard mackie DLM12

Not to start a riot,
And

I think there's a lot to those coaxial designs. They're small and I believe they have good sound quality if they're designed correctly. Danley makes a VERY nice unit based on this sort of design, the SM80, but it's about $3000+ each, LOL.

Now, in reference to the DLM, I've heard they sound decent but I also talked to the local Atlanta-area electronic repair center (just this past Monday) for all things audio. They told me their most chronically seen speaker for repair, most unreliable and hardest manufacturer to deal with is Mackie. It doesn't even matter if it's warranty related; Mackie parts availability is always slow and they have to fight and tussle back and forth to get warranties handled in a timely manner.

Make that Mackie mistake if you want to, you've been warned...
the_black_one 1:32 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
What is NM NH?

you will find out the more time you hang out here

NM NH
Seoul 1:32 AM - 1 August, 2013
I just did a quick reserch..
(Within this forum)

Dlm12s lack mids

Yamaha dxr12 can be turned up without distortion.

Yamaha has better overall sound and performance...

Is that right
JDforKing 1:35 AM - 1 August, 2013
the yamaha dxrs have the best warranty around too, 7years
Seoul 1:37 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
the yamaha dxrs have the best warranty around too, 7years

Wow. Great
the_black_one 1:40 AM - 1 August, 2013
Hey.... before you get all excited you need to get processing and limiting.......

NM NH
DJ GaFFle 1:41 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
What is NM NH?

It means no misquote, no homo. It protects you from getting played.

For example:
Quote:
My price range for whore sex is
$1000~ $1500

This is the plan. Top guys in off truck, suck in back seat or passenger seat.

Not my best misquote but you get the idea.

BTW... never misquote someone who called a NM or NH. That warrants 40 lashes and bans you FOR LIFE from ever misquoting anyone again. :-)

(nm)
Seoul 8:27 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Hey.... before you get all excited you need to get processing and limiting.......

NM NH

Q: signal processor = enhance sound quality
Limiter = protect speakers from blowing

Did i get that right?
Which brand is afforable?

NM NH
Seoul 8:28 AM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
What is NM NH?

It means no misquote, no homo. It protects you from getting played.

For example:
Quote:
My price range for whore sex is
$1000~ $1500

This is the plan. Top guys in off truck, suck in back seat or passenger seat.

Not my best misquote but you get the idea.

BTW... never misquote someone who called a NM or NH. That warrants 40 lashes and bans you FOR LIFE from ever misquoting anyone again. :-)

(nm)

Thanks for heads up.
I thought it was
National Museum of Natural History.

Will do.
Joee 10:02 AM - 1 August, 2013
at the risk of being slammed buy some, going back to you budget if thats what you want to
do

take a look at the ev elx series, some don't like them but i do, for what they cost they are a great sounding box, a step above the zlx, it's no secret i'm a big fan of ev, but with good reason they make some good sounding boxes

if you can fit it in you car it's in your budget, when giving advice we need to realize not everyone has deep pockets

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

i use them for some event & i'm happy with them
Rebelguy 8:05 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

Not necessarily. Depending on what brand he goes for the speaker may already have built in limiting. Also, adding more processing to your signal chain is not always needed and can often make it worse depending on what you do to it. If you learn your fear inside and out you can get away without all the extra drama.

NM NH
DJ Reflex 11:01 PM - 1 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Not necessarily. Depending on what brand he goes for the speaker may already have built in limiting. Also, adding more processing to your signal chain is not always needed and can often make it worse depending on what you do to it. If you learn your fear inside and out you can get away without all the extra drama.

NM NH

True statement. Never had a limiter or a processor and always had good sound. Of course my BOSE system came with its own electronic thingeey, but I just keep levels out of the red and tune my system by ear.

Always test out your speakers before you buy if you can. Guitar Center and Player's Bench stores will always let you listen. Just be aware that they will sound different in various environments.
Seoul 2:48 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

NM NH

True statement. Never had a limiter or a processor and always had good sound. Of course my BOSE system came with its own electronic thingeey, but I just keep levels out of the red and tune my system by ear.

Always test out your speakers before you buy if you can. Guitar Center and Player's Bench stores will always let you listen. Just be aware that they will sound different in various environments.

Carpet, concrete, outdoor. Ok.
Carpetted room sounded more bassy to me.
Of course concrete echos

Yamahas vs rcf vs ev vs mackie
Its a fight.
the_black_one 2:51 AM - 2 August, 2013
my preference is to have processing..... did go to school for audio engineering

NM NH
Seoul 9:26 PM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
my preference is to have processing..... did go to school for audio engineering

NM NH

What is difference between
signal conditioner, compressor, limiter, EQ ?
There gotta be all in one no? Drive rack?
DJ GOOK 1:40 PM - 4 August, 2013
I usually leave this type of talk about speakers to the gurus like Gaffle,Pdiddy etc. But i will chime in on this convo. With your budget, I would go with the Matrix B-52 1000v2 and you can find a used one around 500.00. I have a set that fits in a 2006 toyota corrolla. But I did upgrade my system to the K12s and the kw sub.
DJ Dac 5:23 AM - 5 August, 2013
I'm going to second the matrix system, i have the Matrix 2000, the thing slams. My only complaint is that the amp is in the sub, so i have to drag it all out to use. But its has been more then loud enough for weddings and smallish sized bars.
Sifithedj 2:42 AM - 18 August, 2013
matrix is a Joke... Scoop some powered Yamaha Dsr 15s and a qsc subwoffer
Dj Wunder 6:54 PM - 18 August, 2013
Quote:
...I am new. I am in process of purchasing my first equipments.

I know little bit about DJing, skills, equipments etc...I might sound new, but there aint no shame in my game.

uhmm.. I mean I dig your attitude about always being open to learn, but

Quote:
My gigs are in South Central LA, Size of half court of NBA. 150- 200 people...

What 200 people are paying you to come out??

And what is compelling the rest of you guys to answer questions like, "What are the dimensions of such and such speaker"? Ain't that s*** on Google? Am I missing something? Maybe I need to get some sleep, been gigging for the past 26 hours and I thought I'd cruise the boards before calling it a night. Or day. or whatever...

Do your thing Seoul. Best of luck
Seoul 1:19 AM - 23 August, 2013
DJ wunder
I know enough that there are many things i need to learn. I try to stay humble and opened minded.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Ive been working for this pro DJ, i learned how to DJ from him. And time has come for me to spread my wings. And there are group of people who enjoy my DJing. I am taking any and every gigs right now from fundraisers to backyard boogie. And i have been doing pretty good. I am getting booked. Yay yay.

There are so much technical stuff i would like to know. Youtube and google can say so much, i prefer ask a question and listen to other DJs who have more experience and knowledge. Pros and cons, ups and downs and all. I enjoy this forum experience.
DJ pank lah 6:09 AM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
What's up DJs!

I am new. I am in process of purchasing my first equipments.

I know little bit about DJing, skills, equipments etc...need your opinion and insights.

I NEED a POWERED PA SYSTEM.
I do not have van, truck, suv, matter of fact, i have chevy monte carlo (2 door)!!
Needless to say, i do not have a room, two mackie srms, stands coffin lights.... I was driving like a asian lady...

My gigs are in South Central LA, Size of half court of NBA. 150- 200 people. Indoor.

I must have a (or two) subs.

I looked for some compact settings like QSC k15, with ksub and mackie DLM series. During my research, I figured SIZE=bass amount.
And their price was too high.

$1000~ $1500

This is the plan. Top PAs in truck, sub(s) in back seat or passenger seat.

Shall i get mackie srm 450(since it has so much positive reviews) for the tops for like 7-800, and get a cheaper sub?
Or
Get like peavy or marathon packages?

This intro got too long. I might sound new, but there aint no shame in my game.

WHAT IS THE BEST POWERED SUB for $600 below which i can fit in the back seat o my car?

Help the new guy out
Thanks in advance
DJ pank lah 6:13 AM - 23 June, 2016
This guy thinks that this is a game ....... $1500 will get you 1 good top or 1 good bottom ..... no more than that ...... trust me
Taipanic 2:10 PM - 23 June, 2016
I want earth shaking bass in a box that will fit in the back seat of a car and cost less than $600.00, hmmmm... that's right up there with that car that will go 200mph, runs on water, and costs $5k new.
First, I'd suggest doing some serious reading, on this forum and other Sound/DJ related forums. There is literally hundreds of topics that will teach you everything you need to know about sound, speakers, what's good & what's crap, best for your budget, etc... Maybe try not to be the new guy using crappy music on crappy equipment devaluing the work of people who do things right.
Second, for $1500, I'd be looking at used gear, either powered or passive. I picked up a system (all used) several years ago that fit that budget and sounds very good, though the sub will not fit in a car:
EV SX200 - $250/pair
Crown Amp - $100
Yorkville LS800p - $900

Third, you can only pick two when it comes to subs - Cheap, great sounding, loud, small
I have two EV ZXa1 subs that will fit in any car but really only fill out the bottom end, not bring the boom. Good for weddings & small partys. I also have the Yorkville, which will pretty much equal any two subs in it's price range as far as loud & boomy, but it's big & heavy - van, SUV, or trailer required.
Lastly, I have a pair of JTR Orbit Shifters - Seriously loud (louder than two Yorkvilles), very good sound quality, huge, very expensive. They will give you club level bass in a medium size room and sound better than most clubs around.

You are better off to buy better quality gear (even if it's used) - buy once, cry once.
Figure out how much sound you really need, then budget for it. You are better off renting better equipment while saving up for decent equipment of your own than buying sub $600 gear.
Arjun B 6:58 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
Lastly, I have a pair of JTR Orbit Shifters - Seriously loud (louder than two Yorkvilles), very good sound quality, huge, very expensive. They will give you club level bass in a medium size room and sound better than most clubs around.
Since we're talking about the JTR Orbit Shifters, I went on to their website to look at the subwoofer (im planning on upgradingn and buying some soon). I saw that they had 2 models now. The Orbt Shifter Pro and the Orbit Shifter LFU. I also saw that the Pro had some revisions and improvements for 2016. What is the difference and which one do you have? I saw the price tag for the LFU and it was alot higher. Just want to clarify and not end up buying the more expensive one.
Taipanic 8:49 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Since we're talking about the JTR Orbit Shifters, I went on to their website to look at the subwoofer (im planning on upgradingn and buying some soon). I saw that they had 2 models now. The Orbt Shifter Pro and the Orbit Shifter LFU. I also saw that the Pro had some revisions and improvements for 2016. What is the difference and which one do you have? I saw the price tag for the LFU and it was alot higher. Just want to clarify and not end up buying the more expensive one.

The LFU is for home theaters - serious home theaters, LOL. It goes deeper at the cost of max SPL. It also doesn't have the handles & pole mount. The Pro is what you want, getting the powered version with the DSP amp is a good deal if you don't have amp(s) already.
Taipanic 8:58 PM - 23 June, 2016
To add:

I have unpowered Pros, 2013-1014. These came up on Ebay the night before I was placing my order for two new powered models. My deal basically got me a second free amp and some cash to use for my new tops. My speakers were built as 2ohm so the Crown XTI6002 amp I'm using can send 3000 watts per channel. The powered models are also configured as 2ohm I believe and the Speakerpower amp is rated at 4000 watts and has DSP so no crossover/limiter required. If I was buying new unpowered I would probably go with 4ohm cabinets - the newest amps seem to be optimized for that load (more output than at 2ohms).
Arjun B 10:10 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
The Pro is what you want, getting the powered version with the DSP amp is a good deal if you don't have amp(s) already.
Alright thanks! I don't have amps so that's one thing, but I just want to see if it would be cheaper to buy the powered subs or get the 2 passive subs (2 ohm) and just hook them up to a XTi 6002 ($1999)(3000W/Sub) or get the 4-ohm version's paired with 2 XTi4002 ($999) and bridge the amps to get 3200W into each sub.
I believe it would be cheaper to go with the buy your own amps route. I would be saving around $600, but the trade off would be to carry the amps with me.
Taipanic 12:48 AM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
The Pro is what you want, getting the powered version with the DSP amp is a good deal if you don't have amp(s) already.
Alright thanks! I don't have amps so that's one thing, but I just want to see if it would be cheaper to buy the powered subs or get the 2 passive subs (2 ohm) and just hook them up to a XTi 6002 ($1999)(3000W/Sub) or get the 4-ohm version's paired with 2 XTi4002 ($999) and bridge the amps to get 3200W into each sub.
I believe it would be cheaper to go with the buy your own amps route. I would be saving around $600, but the trade off would be to carry the amps with me.

Do not use the xti4002. The 6002 is built differently than the lower models and are not recommended for sub duty. Or go with the new Itech HD series.
Rebelguy 1:18 AM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:

Do not use the xti4002. The 6002 is built differently than the lower models and are not recommended for sub duty. Or go with the new Itech HD series.

I think the Itech HD line starts at about $4000 for the lowest price amp. At that price wouldn't it be more cost effective to just order the powered versions of the Orbit shifters?
Arjun B 4:47 AM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
So the 6002 would be ok to use? I did not know that, thank you for the heads up!
Quote:
I think the Itech HD line starts at about $4000 for the lowest price amp. At that price wouldn't it be more cost effective to just order the powered versions of the Orbit shifters?
Yes, yes it would lol. I guess I'll just order the powered versions. Are you able to get a better deal on them through the manufacturer?
Taipanic 2:36 PM - 24 June, 2016
The 6002 is OK, that's what I currently have. 3k to each channel @2ohms. The sub can take up to 4k but you really won't miss that extra 1-2db. If they are running that hard, time to order more subs!
Taipanic 2:39 PM - 24 June, 2016
Also, the powered version use a Speakerpower amp, very good quality and highly rated so if you go that route you'll be good. You can probably pick up used 6002 for 1k-1,300 I'd imagine, if you need to save a few bucks.
Arjun B 5:26 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
Also, the powered version use a Speakerpower amp, very good quality and highly rated so if you go that route you'll be good. You can probably pick up used 6002 for 1k-1,300 I'd imagine, if you need to save a few bucks.

Yeah I remember reading that they use a speakerpower amp. I agree on the 6002 and price, but now that i'm thinking about it, I will probably go with the powered versions. Yeah i'll save some money with buying the passive version and buying an amp, but in the long-term, the flexibility is there. Won't need high-gauge speaker cables, alot of flexibility in terms of placement as I'll probably be able to find a power outlet on any wall of a room and XLR cables are plenty so running those shouldn't be a problem either.

If I buy the used 6002, there's always a possibility that something might be wrong with the amp. Aside from that, i'll probably need 10Gauge speaker wire to handle the 3000watts of power over a 50' distance. For the setups I do, powered just works better for me.
Rebelguy 5:56 PM - 24 June, 2016
You are not going to be getting 3000 watts out of the amp. The circuit breaker will trip before that happens unless you are running a distro system.