Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

windows 7 will not open serato dj

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark N4
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
mike correa 8:21 PM - 28 July, 2013
When I double click on the serato software. It opens soon after it read" serato has stopped working" and will not open at all. I have try trouble shooting the problem with windows trouble shoot program but no good still the same. What can I do to open the program.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:10 PM - 5 August, 2013
Hey Mike Correa,

Thanks for getting in touch,

Before I can start the troubleshooting process I need to gather some further information,

1. Can you send me your FULL computer specs?
-- RIGHT-Click your MY COMPUTER icon and select PROPERTIES
-- Copy this information back to me please.

2. How big is your internal hard drive?
-- How much free space do you have on it?

3. Are you using any external hard drives to organise your music?
-- How big is the drive?
-- How much free space is on the drive?
-- Is the drive just used for music files?

4. Are you using any other USB devices?
-- Any wireless mouses / keyboards?

mike correa 2:42 AM - 7 August, 2013
windows 7 home premium/service pack 1
processor intel
core 2 duo cpu t5750 @ 2.00ghz 2.00 ghz
installed memory (ram) 3.00 gb
system type 32 bit operating system
its a sony vaio

My internal drive its 225 GB. It has 161 GB Free space
I do use an External hardrive for my music and video Its 961 GB It has 861 GB free space
I do use a wireless mouse
That's everything in My computer I only use It for Music I do not Want it to crash while on a gig.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:28 PM - 7 August, 2013
Hey Mike Correa,

Thanks for that information,

1. Your computer specs are just above minimum requirements.
-- Thats fine and the program will run on your computer.
-- Running a computer just above minimum specs means you will have to run a small, tidy library.
-- Having a large library will put a lot of stress on your CPU / Memory and this will cause you issues.

2. Using a wireless mouse will also require USB power and due to computer specs its most likely going to cause you issues.

Recommendations

1. You have 161GBs free on your internal drive.
-- I recommend you transfer around 20/30GBS of your favourite music to your internal drive.
-- Remove the external drive from your setup and just use it to backup all your music files.

2. Remove the wireless mouse from your computer when you want to use Serato DJ.

Try the following test

1. Close Serato DJ.
2. Create a folder on your desktop. Name it "TEST".
3. Navigate to your external drive and find around 100x music files you really like.
4. Copy these files to the "TEST" folder on your desktop.
5. Remove your external drive.
6. Launch Serato DJ with your controller connected.
7. Click the FILES button.
8. Navigate to the TEST folder on your desktop.
9. DRAG the folder into your CRATES window.
-- A crate will be created and those music files will get added to your library.

Now have a mix for an hour or so. Do you have any issues?

Let me know how you get on :)

Thanks.
mike correa 12:38 AM - 11 August, 2013
I try all that you said but it still open and 1 second later it says" serato dj has stop working"
I have a Question if I buy another laptop will I be able to run serato dj on it with my license
even I though I bought it with the sony vaio. Do you have something else to try?

Thaks for your help
Serato, Support
Jamie W 8:15 PM - 11 August, 2013
Hey Mike Correa,

Quote:
I try all that you said but it still open and 1 second later it says" serato dj has stop working"

It sounds like your computer just can't handle the tasks Serato DJ and the Numark N4 require.

Quote:
I have a Question if I buy another laptop will I be able to run serato dj on it with my license
even I though I bought it with the sony vaio.

Yes you can de-active your Sony computer and active another computer.

1:57 AM, 30 Aug 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
mike correa 11:02 AM - 15 September, 2013
I bought a new lap top to run the serato dj program. I downloaded it serato dj , But my N4 controller does nothing when I load a track. Can I fixed this or is time to go to Virtual dj. Please help I have done Everything I can to use serato dj. I need help or my money back time.
Serato, Support
Lucas S 3:10 AM - 16 September, 2013
Hi mike correa,

Is your new computer a MAC or Windows machine? Once we know this we can take it from there!

Cheers
mike correa 11:57 AM - 17 September, 2013
Its a PC With Window 8. Hope you Can Give good news. I am Dying to use this program with my N4 controller.

Thanks
R_D_Cline 3:00 PM - 17 September, 2013
Mike,
What were you using before serato DJ? if you were using itch there is a setting that may help. i had a similar issue on my NS7 and in serato itch i went into settings and under the library tab make sure that the "show iTunes library" is UNchecked. Also i have noticed that serato says in various places on the website that windows 8 is not supported. what are the specs on your new computer? i hope you get it worked out.. good luck
demotricus 5:45 PM - 17 September, 2013
Hi, @Jamie - I`ve just read the above and I`m quite surprised that a wireless mouse would use any more power than an ordinary one - to be honest I would have thought it would be the other way around- a wireless dongle needs negligible power to power the transmitting chip that broadcasts to and receives a signal from the actual mouse itself (which has its own internal power) whereas a normal mouse has to run the mouse circuitry and "camera" from the supply rail in the USB, - if there is a difference I`d expect the wired mouse to use more current than the dongle, - in saying that, - the actual power both these devices use is very small anyway - the 5 volt rail that powers USB equipment is rated far in excess of what a mouse consumes and should not affect the performance of the PC anyway..
BTW - I`m not trying to sound clever here - I`m just genuinely confused by the remark..
mike correa 12:50 PM - 21 September, 2013
I was using serato intro It worked find. Its a Toshiba Windows 8
Model - Salelite C855D. Processor - AMD E1-1200 APU With Radeon HD Graphics Ghz
RAM- 4.00 gb
64 bit operating system.
I thought all I had to was install serato dj and was good to go. But it has turn out to be a big
project. Hope you can help.

Thanks
Serato, Support
Lucas S 11:39 PM - 22 September, 2013
Hi mike correa,

The issue has become a little unclear, could you clarify what current problem you are experiencing and list the current computer your trying to use.

I will try and replicate issue here and get back to you.

Let me know.

Cheers
mike correa 1:29 PM - 25 September, 2013
The problem is I am trying to use the serato dj software. I purchase a laptop with windows 8.
I downloaded serato dj when I connected my controller N4 It does Nothing, It does not control
the software at all. I could use the software without the controller but with the controller it does nothing. The computer I am using is a Toshiba windows 8
Model-satellite
Processor-AMD- E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.40 ghz
Memory- 4.00 gb (3.59 useable gb)
System Type- 64-bit Operating System 64X based Processor
Hope that's enough info.

Thanks
R_D_Cline 8:06 PM - 25 September, 2013
@ Lucas.... it seems mike 's computer specs have changed since he first started this thread. he did list windows 7 duo core laptop and now he is listing windows 8 with an AMD.
demotricus 9:28 PM - 25 September, 2013
@R_D_Cline - he posted on the 30th saying that he`s bought a new windows 8 laptop for serato so that will be the one he`s trying to get to run.
I`d suggest if he`s got an AMD processor that he needs the AMD fix?
demotricus 9:29 PM - 25 September, 2013
correction - he posted on the 15th sept, the 30th was when the thread was first closed .
R_D_Cline 9:34 PM - 25 September, 2013
ok. got it.

his new specs seem too low for the processor. he listed 1.4Ghz and 2.0 Ghz is suggested as the minimum. I almost bought a new laptop when i first bought my NS7 but before i did i read up on the threads and other forums about what worked and what doesnt. right when i bought my computer windows 7 was sketchy with new itch updates but i got lucky. just that dang iTunes setting messed me up. now that i have that straight all is good with dj 1.3
demotricus 4:19 AM - 26 September, 2013
I agree, it seems to me that serato is like a thoroughbred horse - needs careful grooming and treatment to get the best from it, - The very best option would be to buy a macbook as it`s this machine the developers wrote it for apparently - I have seen very few issues for mac users.
In saying that, - with the right settings and configuration plus an intel processor you CAN use it on a windows 8 PC.
Ideally you need to allocate correct priority for the serato software, disable wi-fi and antivirus, turn off the itunes library and use smaller databases , renewing them often. - Also need to allocate adequate Virtual Memory -RAM should be 4GB - (it`s 32 bit so can`t use above that anyway).
I have mine set up on a mixtrack Pro controller,and use an Akai LPD-8, a Launchpad S AND the iPad remote and it works , as long as I use it strictly as a player and don`t utilise crates etc -(I just drag and drop tracks from windows explorer)
I have two screens so keep serato open on one and drag the files across from the other.
4:26 AM, 26 Sep 2013
demotricus attached a file: 2013-09-26 01.24.29.jpg
View· Permalink
demotricus 4:26 AM - 26 September, 2013
This is my set-up
i182.photobucket.com
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:34 AM - 4 November, 2013
Hey mike correa,

Quote:
Processor-AMD- E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.40 ghz
Memory- 4.00 gb (3.59 useable gb)
System Type- 64-bit Operating System 64X based Processor

Have you made any headway with your issue? Unfortunately both Jamie & Lucas have moved on from a support role on the forum.
Quote:
I downloaded serato dj when I connected my controller N4 It does Nothing, It does not control
the software at all. I could use the software without the controller but with the controller it does nothing

Unfortunately this is still quiet unclear.
Do you see the two virtual decks appear in the software when you connect?
Have you used the online window within Serato DJ to achieve your licence yet?

Regards
Dave W
8:02 AM, 18 Nov 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
mike correa 3:02 AM - 4 February, 2014
What are the system requirement for serato dj to run freaking properly?
please let me know I am frustrated with this program thank you