DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Rane TTM56 has one channel thats quieter

a DJ 5:41 AM - 16 November, 2008
Does anyone else have this problem? It's weird. I had my Vestax 06 for a while. It doesnt even have number markers, but I was always able to get it to the same volume when I needed to scratch in the instrumental of a song, or when I needed to use instant doubles to switch over to the other side. I've used cheap mixers before where I had to adjust for this problem, but it's weird it happened on the 56. It's only a little bit off, but that actually makes it harder to adjust to.
LightsOut06 10:38 PM - 17 November, 2008
switch out all the wires to see if its your mixer or something else.
a DJ 2:45 AM - 18 November, 2008
I switched out the wires a few times cuz I had a gig and brought the 56. I've used a Vestax 06 and 07 and it didnt seem to have that problem. On the 06 they looked very similar, I cant remember with the 07 but I dont remember having that problem, and with the 56 I can tell its about 0.5 off (according to the numbers), and you can tell visually the line points different.

I'll try it again and with other wires.
DJ-A 5:06 PM - 18 November, 2008
check your gain. are all of your wires plugged all the way in?
a DJ 12:54 AM - 19 November, 2008
Yup. I plugged em in at least 4 times with the same problem, since I had a gig, and I also tried cuz of this problem. I'll try different cables soon.
a DJ 12:59 AM - 19 November, 2008
And yeah I checked the gain, it's usually around 0.5 off, according to the numbers. If I put it at the exact same number it's noticeably different, you can hear it. It even shows it on the meters. I know this happens on cheaper mixers but I wasnt expecting it to happen on this mixer, so I was wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem. The person I bought from had it for 2 yrs.
DJ R-pan 4:58 AM - 20 November, 2008
same for me. its my left channel. not that big of a deal though, just adjust gain as needed.
IMAGEone 3:54 PM - 20 November, 2008
This happens quite a bit. It's difficult to avoid even in the digital age. Most likely its your needles(if your useing tt's) if not it could be any of your RCA cables or just a weak connection inside the mixer (like a bad sauder point or lose wire). I've had this problem with several mixers and it's a process of elimination to get to the exact point where your losing some audio output.

Or, there's gremlins chewing up yo' shit nigga!

P.S. You can pour Pepsi/Coke in the Xfader and it's fine, but the gains arn't even...hmmmm
SELECT 3:56 PM - 20 November, 2008
This happens with my shure 447s for some reason. With my ortofons is just fine.
DJ GaFFle 4:51 PM - 20 November, 2008
It could be the channel-gain pots on the 56 have a slight short in them and are not making the best connection. Adjust the individual gains on your mixers back-n-forth to listen for static or see if it all of a sudden, gets louder.
a DJ 8:40 PM - 20 November, 2008
^ DJ Gaffle, no it doesnt have static or all of a sudden get louder.

IMAGEone, how would it be the needles if I'm using Serato? The sound comes out of the Serato box. The turntables just output the timecode. I dont think a quieter timecode would do anything. But yeah, I agree, they make a big deal about the magnetic crossfader but I've had more problems with this Rane than with a Vestax. The sound quality is much better tho. And it is a good mixer overall, I've used a 56 that only had one minor problem.

SELECT, when you're using Serato or when you're playing regular vinyl?
spin 11:51 PM - 20 November, 2008
Try testing the levels using internal mode.
a DJ 4:52 AM - 21 November, 2008
Yeah I did that to test how much exactly it's off.
spin 3:59 PM - 21 November, 2008
stupid question: does the circle alignment in the setup affect the levels ...probably not???

have you tried swapping headshells? but heck, you're using serato so how would that matter? hmmmm
SELECT 4:27 PM - 21 November, 2008
Quote:
^ DJ Gaffle, no it doesnt have static or all of a sudden get louder.

IMAGEone, how would it be the needles if I'm using Serato? The sound comes out of the Serato box. The turntables just output the timecode. I dont think a quieter timecode would do anything. But yeah, I agree, they make a big deal about the magnetic crossfader but I've had more problems with this Rane than with a Vestax. The sound quality is much better tho. And it is a good mixer overall, I've used a 56 that only had one minor problem.

SELECT, when you're using Serato or when you're playing regular vinyl?

If your needles are funky your sound will be as well. Its not just a one way thing. This is where you are confused. Regardless if it goes through the box, the needles still change the sound. My shures and ortofons sound very different from each other. This is with Serato and Vinyl. Its not just the output either. My shures are heavy on the treble and bass whereas my ortfons are even all around and a bit brighter.

You can tell if your needles are worn or funky by looking at the circles on the setup screen. After a while your needles start to wear and you will have to adjust the circles so they are even all around.
spin 5:38 PM - 21 November, 2008
SELECT, seriously? Even if you toggle between internal mode? I just thought the needles carried the control signal for controlling SSL. Didn't know about them affecting the EQ of what's coming out.
balistikgelhed 8:15 PM - 21 November, 2008
lol :|
a DJ 11:19 PM - 22 November, 2008
I think I figured it out.. One of my RCA cables was not fully plugged in (only the right side of one channel). lol .. I feel stupid for doing it 3 times in a row lol.
IMAGEone 2:25 AM - 23 November, 2008
HAHA, all good brotha. I did a show with Bandoma and DJ spider last night and it took me 10 min to fogure out why the right side signal was messed up! Turns out the switchs on the back of the ttm57 where reversed! Bandoma, I still can't figure out why it worked during your set...weird Anyway shit happins and you can't always be 100% aware of every trouble shooting technique.

The Show MUST Go ON.
a DJ 4:33 AM - 23 November, 2008
lol I know.. it's weird how it'll kinda work despite something not being right. Its funny I plugged in the RCAs to the Master Out and Aux In one time.. LOL

Also, is it normal for the mixer to smell kinda funny, like plastic burning? It also smells like cleaning agent, and the mixer looks really clean so maybe the person who sold it to me used some kind of cleaner or something. I had the mixer for about a month now tho, the smell is still kinda there. Other people I asked said it doesnt smell too bad, and I havent had too many problems with the mixer.
DJ Tank 7:44 AM - 23 November, 2008
if i understand right, you never had this problem before. i've had my 56ttm for about 2 years, never a problem. might i suggest trying to clean out your tonearm contacts first. then check your rca's from the turntable. i know every mixer coming off line isn't perfect. depending on how long you had it. i would take it back.