DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Itunes & Serato 1.8.2 Sucks

djbigmark 12:18 AM - 16 November, 2008
Why for no reason my system is crashing. I am starting to hate using itunes crates with serato. I have traktor and virtual dj and never had a problem reading my itunes library, serato needs to get it togather.
sixxx 3:01 AM - 16 November, 2008
It's not Serato... it's the iTunes update. You should not be updating iTunes until Serato clears it.
stevie o 3:52 AM - 16 November, 2008
buy a mac
a DJ 4:05 AM - 16 November, 2008
I dont update either for a longg time lol. iTunes, forget about it. It gets slower each update and I still keep trying it out lol. Serato is not as bad. I'm usually only one version behind.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:57 AM - 16 November, 2008
Quote:
buy a mac

haha, he's using a mac. That's the problem. Get PC running Win XP and you'll be good...lol
djbigmark 12:52 PM - 16 November, 2008
I have a mac and yes I agree now the problem is Itunes. I created a new library according to the help on this forum and now everything is back to normal. But when your on the road and working doing gigs this is not good. I only had 3 hours b4 my next gig when i decided to check something out and bam! serato kept crashing so yes i freaked out. I turned off automatic updates, never again.
MrGoodie2shoes 3:55 PM - 16 November, 2008
Maybe i'm just lucky but I haven't had any problems....on a mac too.
famethrowa 5:28 PM - 16 November, 2008
Last night on my new setup I decided to just dump my entire iTunes library to my external and run without Serato referencing the iTunes library.

Other than the ghosts of about 80 gigs of red tracks that were a bitch to delete 15 minutes before I had to leave the house (just started up using Serato again, so the last version that used this HD still used the hidden .ScratchLIVE file structure, so I had to bash it all out in Terminal since I couldn't delete them within Live), it went SOOOOOOOOOO much smoother, and this is on a much less powerful laptop than my last rig (2.2 Ghz 2GB RAM MacBook Pro vs. the new bottom end plastic MacBook).

SO MUCH SMOOTHER. SO MUCH.

PEOPLE I IMPLORE YOU, GET AWAY FROM ITUNES.

SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH SMOOTHER.

;) OK, I'll stop now. haha.
DJPrez1 5:55 PM - 16 November, 2008
Maybe try a older version of iTunes?

www.oldapps.com
sixxx 8:27 PM - 16 November, 2008
I'm stuck on iTunes 7.whatever and I refuse to upgrade to 8 until I can test it with my other computer. I haven't had any issues. I love iTunes.

Can I get away from it? Sure, my tagging is such that it works with iTunes or not.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:57 PM - 16 November, 2008
Quote:
I'm stuck on iTunes 7.whatever and I refuse to upgrade to 8 until I can test it with my other computer. I haven't had any issues. I love iTunes.

Can I get away from it? Sure, my tagging is such that it works with iTunes or not.

I'm running iTunes 8 and have had no issues. The only way that I would stop using iTunes is if SSL implemented something like "intellegent crates" (hint hint)
Crickett 3:56 PM - 17 November, 2008
I haven't updated Itunes in 2 years. Download the older version and roll with that.

Works like a champ.
LightsOut06 10:32 PM - 17 November, 2008
i don't see why you guys rely on itunes. It's incredibly stupid IMO for reasons such as these. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, smart playlists are cool. You can definitely live without them however. I laugh everytime I hear of people having problems with itunes and serato. Itunes is also one of the worst music players of all time but I don't even want to start that argument.
sixxx 4:38 AM - 18 November, 2008
I think you already started it. lol
Crickett 2:58 PM - 18 November, 2008
I agree, You did start it.

I think if you tried it. (Peer pressure) you'd like it. (No homo)
I've been using it for about 3 years and have never had an issue. Most cats that do? It's all user error. lol
famethrowa 3:07 PM - 18 November, 2008
I've never had any issues using iTunes with serato, but like I said, it's noticeably zippier without it.

Of course being on a mac I have few choices, and even on the PC side, I'm so used to iTunes, I'd probably stick with it.

<---- remembers the days when you needed separate WAV ripping, MP3 encoding, and MP3 listening programs. Ugh.*

* I know there are better individual ripping/encoding/tagging/listening PC solutions out there nowadays. I'm still an iTunes guy for CD ripping and tagging.
DJ-A 3:30 PM - 18 November, 2008
Quote:
I've never had any issues using iTunes with serato, but like I said, it's noticeably zippier without it.

Dows yours load faster too? I have about 700gb on my external of songs, and it's like 20 seconds to load vs 8 minutes if i have "read itunes" checked
Crickett 3:53 PM - 18 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Dows yours load faster too? I have about 700gb on my external of songs, and it's like 20 seconds to load vs 8 minutes if i have "read itunes" checked

I don't use an external. I have an internal 300GB HD.
And it only takes about 3 seconds to load up.
famethrowa 4:16 PM - 18 November, 2008
I don't know about exact times, but searching, etc. is waaaaay smoother than it used to be. I only have about 90GB on me (which is still way too much) - I'll keep in mind how long it takes next time I load up, but it is quicker.
DJ-A 4:16 PM - 18 November, 2008
^^^Nice
DJ-A 4:17 PM - 18 November, 2008
Quote:
^^^Nice

(Crickett)
sixxx 4:50 PM - 18 November, 2008
170+ gigs or 45K songs. I've been using iTunes since I got serato over 4 years ago. Loading time? 20-340 seconds.

Searching is no problem at all.

-----

Regular iTunes playlists will slow down your loading time, but smart playlists won't.

Also, I'm using an external firewire drive.
DJ-A 5:19 PM - 18 November, 2008
i've heard people talk about "Smart Playlists"

what exactly are they?
a DJ 6:55 AM - 2 December, 2008
^ They are playlists that automatically add songs based on certain criteria. For example, you could have Rap songs from 2008. R&B songs from the 1990s. Etc, etc.

Quote:
Regular iTunes playlists will slow down your loading time, but smart playlists won't.

Also, I'm using an external firewire drive.

Are you sure about that? I changed my club playlists to smart playlists instead of regular playlists (by adding (C) to the grouping). And now it seems to load slower (maybe the same, but definitely not any faster at all) than when my club playlists were regular playlists. That's the only thing I've changed really. At least Im glad I did this. I shoulda done this earlier, it's so much easier now.