Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

My "Mothership" DJ (Experiences and Problems) Help Required

Code:E 11:24 PM - 25 July, 2013
This help topic I think is well beyond anything the Serato guys can be expect to help me troubleshoot (most of the software I'm running is not there's), So I am posting it in the General area where the community spends most of there time and hopefully someone can help me out.

So I saw this video awhile ago. Watchwww.youtube.com and though to myself what a joke, thats not mothership, more like mother shit. Babahahaha. I don't really hate traktor, that setup is far from what I would call a mothership.

I knew I run pretty much the most "tech" serato setup you can. And well I haven't been able to use it all at once for a whole night before the opportunity came where I would be playing the whole night at my residency and I felt like doing something special.

Up until 2 weeks ago (when I setup my Mothership DJ rig) I thought I had Resolume down pat and felt it it was safe for me to step up the complexity and to add in an old part of my DJ set, the Bridge.

I spent a couple of days updating my bridge set adding a few new tracks to it. And felf comfortable to play with it again.

So heres the Techy nerd part I'm sure a few skipped down too.
What DJ gear I used and how I hooked it all up:

Software: Serato 2.5, Mix Emergency (newest update), Resolume 4.1.4, Ableton 9.x
Hardware: DJM2000 (Ch1 SP-6, Ch2+3 Main decks (ME video), CH4 3rd deck in serato with ableton timecode loaded in), 3x CDJ-2000's all in HID mode, MPD32 (looping, serato effect, video effects linked to everything), APC40 (Controlling Ableton), iPad running TouchOSC via ad-hoc (controlling ME effects and parameters).

Video of the rig: instagram.com

Well I have to say everything was almost working perfectly. I am however having 2 problems. And they are no small problems.

1st It appears my Early 2011 17" MBP i7 2.2, 8gb rrd3, dual HD's (750gb hybrid in opt bay, 1th Hitachi in HD bay) has enough power to run this complicated setup. I do get some waveform lag when scrolling though the ableton set but that happened before I added ME and Resolume to the picture.

Something I have been doing recently is running SMC fan control and maxing my fan speed out before anything is started (and i always restart just before DJing now) With SSMC you get the temperature display. I asked a while ago what temp I should expect from other Video DJ's and really couldn't find a set number that too hot.

Well a few minutes into running the mothership I noticed my computer heating up fast, My laptop is on a stand with plenty of ventilation but I figured for good measure I should remove the bottom of the speck case. Anyway My computer quickly heated up and stay around 91deg C (instagram.com) I figured this was hot but without shutting down software I wasnt sure what i could do. The club was cold and really wanted to run this full rig all night....

Well The night start at 10PM and I bet you can guess what happened at 11:30 complete SHUTDOWN, right to black screen. I assume I overheated the machine. I had serato Full screen at the time so I have no clue how hot she was this happend But I have so assume over 91.

So to answer a question posted in another great thread. Can you run the Bridge and Serato Video at the same time. It appears yes, but not for very long.

Not really sure what else I can do beyond buying a new computer or running 2 computers to be able to play on all of the software at once. Honestly buying one of those new Mac Pro's and bringing it to every gig is something I'm considering.

Ok on to problem number 2.
I am having power issues with my mac recently. Like i said before over the last few months I have had no problem running my mothership rig less the 3rd CDJ, APC40 and ableton.
Really its just my normal Video setup. And its nothing really crazy tech wise (less my mapping and midi controls) except for the fact I'm running resolume. Well I ran into a issue with resolume.

As soon as I start resolume My mac goes from "Charging" to "unable to charge" and battery life start dropping FAST! I get 45 min (assume i started off at 100%) tops. closer to 30 min I think. As soon as i shut down resolume the computer starts to charge again.

If i run resolume and only Resolume with just an APC40 and Touch osc I'm also fine.

I think I narrowed it down to when the computer jumps over to the 6750 Video card. When using ME I am pretty sure just the intel card is being used. But as soon as i start resolume and start launching video clips I cant charge the computer anymore. Also I do have the power saving setting turned on that why I think it was using the intel 3000 before. When I turn off the power saving setting the computer jumps right to not being able to charge.

If I can get the charging figured out I will be very happy. I dont really need to run the bridge it is just a nice add on. If anyone is able to help or has heard of issues like this any links would be appreciated. I have taken my mac in to a computer shop they ran a full system test and said my battery is at 96% and no other errors. They want me to leave it with them for a week I laughed and said only if they had me a new mac to take in its place and time machine all my content over to it. They are not going to do that. I can't be without my computer for more than a couple of days and we dont have an apple store anywhere near by and apples support number is useless to me since I'm out of warranty.

I hope this post get s a few other DJ's out there to try and push there setups to the max. I would love to see how far some might go with 4 turntables and a launch pad or 2 and 2 sets of dicers.
DJMark 11:44 PM - 25 July, 2013
It's a known issue with MacBook Pros that if you're running the machine at high load and with a lot of attached stuff, the charger will NOT be able to charge the battery and you may in fact drain the battery some.

Mix Emergency should be using the discrete GPU, and in any case standard/best procedure for video DJ's is to set Energy Saver preferences to disable automatic graphics switching (always use the real GPU).

An operating temperature of 91c with fans cranked tells me the machine is over-taxed.

Assuming you take the bottom pan off and clean out the dust regularly? if not....
Code:E 12:32 AM - 26 July, 2013
Quote:
It's a known issue with MacBook Pros that if you're running the machine at high load and with a lot of attached stuff, the charger will NOT be able to charge the battery and you may in fact drain the battery some.

its not some its a lot, All of the battery. No where near enough time to play a night.

But I wonder why it started to do this now. I was running resolume fine for month along with ME and serato and never had an issue. only during the last 2 weeks.

Quote:
Mix Emergency should be using the discrete GPU, and in any case standard/best procedure for video DJ's is to set Energy Saver preferences to disable automatic graphics switching (always use the real GPU).

absolutely. I only had it on well i was a student and used my laptop at school where i needed the extra power. I had forgotten to disable this feature until now.

Quote:
An operating temperature of 91c with fans cranked tells me the machine is over-taxed.

By over taxed I assume you mean running too much stuff. This makes me sad, since I get no lag I would assume the computer can handle this much, but it appears not.

Quote:
Assuming you take the bottom pan off and clean out the dust regularly? if not....

I do.
DJMark 2:43 AM - 26 July, 2013
Quote:
By over taxed I assume you mean running too much stuff.

Yes, that's what I meant. 91c is what I'd consider a pretty extreme operating temperature, and I'm guessing the black-screen shutdown you described is thermally-related.

Since you mention SL 2.5, I'm wondering if that update is responsible for what you seem to be describing as a recent change in behavior.

Maybe run 2.4.4 plus all the other stuff, check activity monitor, then run 2.5 with the same other software and see if you see differences in CPU utilization.

I would freshly reboot between those tests and record observed readings...also do a few repetitions.
skinnyguy 1:58 PM - 26 July, 2013
for pushing the limits, you are awesome.
Rebelguy 5:21 PM - 26 July, 2013
Do you have any video clips of your show with all this equipment running. I'm curious to see how it all comes together.
Joshua Carl 6:36 PM - 26 July, 2013
I think what you maybe encountering is 2 factors

The Law of diminishing retuurns Vs Limited by the technology of your age,
en.wikipedia.org

Im the LAST person to tell anyone what they "should/shouldnt" be doing
but I think in this case its more of a "Ive been there", and maybe think about the risk Vs Payout of pushing the boundries with gear.

everyone knows im a gear-hound, see you rig and Im nothing but smiles.

but how much is too much, how little is not enough?
especially when weighing the factors outside of this community we have here, and especially when DVS companies have made it so easy for the "next man" to walk in with a controller and a hack and present "seemingly" the same results. (to the eye of an owner/manager) minus peak hour crashing.
Ive certainly heard from managers at new spots is one of the reasons my precesessor is gone is becuase of constant crashing. (among other things)

back in the vinyl days, I was constantly trying to do 3 decks.
and i was hard on it for a good few years, lugging a 3rd deck everywhere i go, making little platforms that i could bring in to a spot so I had room for the 3rd 1200 & my EFX 500...eventually I had to give in and switch to a CDJ100 and burnt cds with loops, and all my acapellas and instrumentals.

then one night i had NO option at this spot for a 3rd anything, no 3rd deck, no efx 500 and i noticed, no one but me noticed, seemed to care.

obviously in some rooms having 3 decks and effects are a great spice to throw on a good tasting mix...but in most, especially where people really cant see you... bringing in all that gear, the extra time setting up, pissing off the sound tech,
we encountered the "law of diminishing returns"
the time, effort, product payoff was noticably less by the patrons/management then the investment.

Ive always said, we shouldnt take what the crowd thinks too seriously. as long as they are getting what is expected.... so putting any stock in what i said above is a bit of bullshit.
if you want to push the boundries for that dare to be great situation, and the only person that might realize, or appreciate is yourself than that is great. but when you take that risk is it worth potentially failing to only seemingly satisfy yourself?

its a thin line, and i wish i had some tech answer that would allow you do a bunch of stuff, because at my core Im all about it.
but playing a bit of Realist meets Devils advocate i have to side on the side of many who look at Traktor and say is it REALLY necessary to play 4-8 songs at once and have tons of effects running? who is really appreciating that more than the guy playing it, and perhaps his DJ pals, or DJs who peep in the booth?

Cody, dont take it the wrong way.... I know what your trying to accomplish, and i think its great.... just something to think about.
DJMark 8:10 PM - 26 July, 2013
Very wise words Joshua.
Code:E 10:36 PM - 26 July, 2013
Quote:
for pushing the limits, you are awesome.

I try. thank you.

Quote:
Do you have any video clips of your show with all this equipment running. I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

Well that 7 second video shows it all. What do you want to see running? I can try and film some stuff at home for you.

1 problem I would love to set it all up again and film any part you like but I wont be DJing at my res for the next month. I'm getting married on the 17th, 1st weekend Im playing, teching, doing visuals at a big festival (centerofgravity.ca) weekend after that I'm going on my 3 day stag, then the wedding then the honey moon, then another fesivtal (www.facebook.com) I'm kinda upset at my self for taking so much time off but I had no choice. I really do love to DJ and talking all of August off was a hard choice.

Quote:
maybe think about the risk Vs Payout of pushing the boundries with gear.

everyone knows im a gear-hound, see you rig and Im nothing but smiles.

but how much is too much, how little is not enough?

Very important things to think about. But I don't honestly think I'm pushing things too hard. I do have 2 rigs kinda melded together in my setup. 1st is the video rig which is slightly advanced because of the Resolume factor. and second is the ableton side. Well I dont need to continue to keep running the ableton side i thought it would be nice to show the people who come out often and the other DJ's locally what I can do. And how divers i can be. Plus I see all these guys online doing tone juggling and other turntable trickery, I look at that and see it as awesome. I want todo something like that But I dont want to just copy someones set, so the addition of creating my own mashups live and different each time I play I though would be cool.

Quote:
Ive certainly heard from managers at new spots is one of the reasons my precesessor is gone is becuase of constant crashing. (among other things)

Lucky for me the relationship between me and my res is far beyond what a normal relationship is with most DJ's and venues. I won't ever be fired for anything of this sort. My boss does not like the crash, but understood what I was trying todo that night and was right there with me trouble shooting He even jumped on the decks for a track well I rebooted. I would like to note unless I had this rig stable night in and out at my res I wouldnt take it on the road.

Quote:
back in the vinyl days, I was constantly trying to do 3 decks.
and i was hard on it for a good few years, lugging a 3rd deck everywhere i go, making little platforms that i could bring in to a spot so I had room for the 3rd 1200 & my EFX 500...eventually I had to give in and switch to a CDJ100 and burnt cds with loops, and all my acapellas and instrumentals.

I feel you there. When I started into this club nearly 8 years ago now, they had 2 denoon 4500's and I played soloy off Cd's (5, 200 disc full cd wallets all but one of which where promo onlys). I always had all 4 cd drives loaded. Then I moved over to virtual DJ and I brought my DMC2 to the club (along with a tower computer). I used that for years in the clubs I played at. For a while I was jumping between to competing bard DJing there busiest nights respectively for a total of 5 nights a week. Every DJ I knew said it would burn me out. I loved it and did it for 2 years until I forced by one bar to make a choice (both wanted me to choose, so I felt it was only fair to quit on the one that really forced the choice).
Back to multi decks after cds and being on VDj for years I grew to love the sample bank that was quantized. When I moved to serato I was like WTF is everyone using this, But for easy of DJ transition and the fact I could go back todo video (if the clubs decided to pay me todo it again) I had togo with serato and not traktor. I hated the SP-6 and still do. What a joke of a sample bank. When the bridge came out, well I was a fat kid to a skittle and the 3rd deck system was born I felt so much happier being able to load tools, loops and acapellas into the 3rd deck.
Your right though josh does anyone notice, not many do. And I'm fine with that, I do it for myself. It makes me happy to pull of some amazing 3 track mix on the fly never practised and have the crowd think it was all pre recorded mashup. Again though you are right does it really matter in the grand scheme, not really.
Quote:
but when you take that risk is it worth potentially failing to only seemingly satisfy yourself?

To some no, to me, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think so.

Quote:
its a thin line, and i wish i had some tech answer that would allow you do a bunch of stuff, because at my core Im all about it.
but playing a bit of Realist meets Devils advocate i have to side on the side of many who look at Traktor and say is it REALLY necessary to play 4-8 songs at once and have tons of effects running? who is really appreciating that more than the guy playing it, and perhaps his DJ pals, or DJs who peep in the booth?

Cody, dont take it the wrong way.... I know what your trying to accomplish, and i think its great.... just something to think about.

Well I view the 3rd deck ableton, samples, cool techy shit almost the same way i a view the addition of video to a DJ set.

Really what does video add? Is is REALLY necessary to have every video track, do we really want people stopping for a minute and looking at the video screen a because a video is cool or funny. Do we do it for the enjoyment of the crowd or the the few techy friends watching. or is it nothing more than 1 step better for the venue so they dont play the same extreme sports or shadow girls video on look for hours. And do we not take the risk in doing video that we are cheesy dj's who are MuchMusic wannabe's (sorry canadian term there, Much is out MTV and used to tour high schools doing video school dance with VHS tapes (1000's of tapes)). All of this makes me think video is useless or even hurts us because we all know we do spend some of out time making sure the video is just right when we could be concentrating on the audio more. Though DVS's have given us the extra time to be able to do this sort of thing.

For me the addition of video adds a lot. But i drive video to the extremes in some instances. I have my video video setup so that everything musical triggers corresponding video effects. Its great to low pass a track and have the video fade to black, it really helps me to set the mood, when a hit a short loop the strobing of thats video really bring out what I'm doing to the music. And early on in the night when the people are walking in and out the door at the same rate, playing a track that might only be OK but has a video that grabs everyone's attention really helps to get them to stay and have that 1st drink. Then you can work on them to get them on the floor.

Josh I really respect you and your words make an impact on me. It is a true balancing act we do as DJ's. How much of what we do is for the general crowd, for the educated crowd, and for ourselves. I believe we need a mix of all 3 to be truly successful.
I have in the past over complicated my video setup and my music suffered. I had to re think how and why i was doing everything and come up with my current video set. Now i focus less and less on the video but produce a better video show overall because of how well I have integrated the video into the music. I'm still looking for more ways to integrate it more. I would love to close all of the ME windows (except for the 3 preview) I'm just not quite there yet.

Quote:

Its not taken the wrong way. In writing back to you I rewrote so many thing that I deleted because i had to stop and think to myself what is really important and I truly had to figure out what and how I fell about all of this. Thanks everyone for the help on this everything else I have received help from in the past. Hopefully someone takes these ideas and goes another step forward so my jaw can drop too.
Code:E 10:47 PM - 26 July, 2013
One more thing I did want to come back to. The space requirements of even my basic video rig are large. I play on a DJM2000 which it along with 2 cdj2000 is a very wide setup plus i need room for my MPD 32 and laptop and iPad. All things I just wont play without. It kinda makes me a princess and all the local audio techs know it. They expect it from me now. But I'm never mean or rude to them we are all friends, and I tech as often as any of them. I look at it like this when I goto a new venue. When a band says they need x number of feet for a drummer to setup his complex, individual, custom drums kit nobody complains. So when I'm booking at a new venue I make sure they know my playing requirements and that I should be given the same respect in regard to the ergonomics of how my rig must be setup as they would a band or any other type of performer. I also never setup in DJ booth that are not adjacent to the dancefloor. I have been to many clubs that where built years ago and the dj booth in the the back corner of the room and the dance floor is in the middle and its edge is 50+feet away. Again maybe that makes me a princess, but I dont do a job unless i can do it to the best of my ability. I don't ever want things like a wobbly table that i need to hold onto all night so it wont drop my $3k laptop, being unable to read the crowd because i cant see them or lack of control over the music i'm playing hold me back. Also why I stopped doing wedding.

I hope my personal beliefs don't taint you view over me. I'm really not anal (nh) as i make myself out to be.

I hope someday I can make my way down around the states so i can hear and see a whole bunch you guys, my peers, I really want to see how you guy all do it live. And maybe show you guys what i do live.
djnak 12:22 AM - 27 July, 2013
Code:E And josh carl in 1 thread talking about the same thing......this is gonna be way to much reading for me....
Code:E 2:10 AM - 27 July, 2013
wow after re reading what I post, I realized I should spell check my writing in much more detail. Oh well, I assume everyone gets the point.
Joshua Carl 7:22 AM - 27 July, 2013
fuck spell check.
24.media.tumblr.com
Culprit 9:42 AM - 27 July, 2013
Quote:
But I wonder why it started to do this now. I was running resolume fine for month along with ME and serato and never had an issue. only during the last 2 weeks.

SSL 2.5 is not even 2 weeks old yet, want to try downgrading and see if the behavior changes?
Code:E 7:29 PM - 27 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

SSL 2.5 is not even 2 weeks old yet, want to try downgrading and see if the behavior changes?

I do have both installed (2.4.4 and 2.5) I make it a rule now, When serato comes out with an update I always get it right away but I always keep that last stable version installed.
RnBDJkb 12:36 AM - 31 July, 2013
Thanks for this thread DJs/VJs, real talk loved it...
djkurve 4:39 AM - 31 July, 2013
Code:E not sure if you checked the status of your battery, but there's a chance it could be faulty or in my case needs replaced. LOL! i49.photobucket.com
Code:E 5:17 AM - 31 July, 2013
I have checked. I have taken it into 3 different apple service center and had them check it. Its at 92% now and about half way though its total number of charges (455).
Taipanic 6:25 PM - 27 August, 2013
Code:E,

I think with all you are running, you should consider setting up a Mac Pro, rather than a laptop. I think the additional hardware and better cooling is more suited for what you are trying to do. The MacBooks & IMacs are built as a compromise between portability/space savings & usability. They are effective for most things but not real high powered stuff like you are doing. It might work, but will not be the optimal solution and will be more prone to failures.
skinnyguy 8:39 PM - 27 August, 2013
but ya gotta admit, it's cool to see someone push things to the limits like that
Code:E 3:36 PM - 28 August, 2013
Oh if I had the money for a mac pro I would have one.
DJMark 5:05 AM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:
Oh if I had the money for a mac pro I would have one.

I mostly just bumped this thread to put it above a lot of the other stupid shit that's been posted in here recently.

But...it's worth pointing out that a used Mac Pro of the last generation or two could be had for fairly reasonably, and will have (if you go to a higher-end model) something like double the CPU resources of any current Mac laptop.

Then throw one of these in: eshop.macsales.com
DJMark 5:28 AM - 4 September, 2013
BUMP!

LOL
DJMark 5:36 AM - 4 September, 2013
You know, I bet a current iMac with the optional 680MX 2gb video card would be pretty awesome.

Too bad the damned things are sealed shut with GLUE (!)
XRM5 2:31 PM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
But...it's worth pointing out that a used Mac Pro of the last generation or two could be had for fairly reasonably, and will have (if you go to a higher-end model) something like double the CPU resources of any current Mac laptop.

Then throw one of these in: eshop.macsales.com

The last generation of Mac Pro was 3 years ago. On paper they may look good, but in a lot of ways (including After Effects etc) my new MBP feels snappier.

And I used to haul a G5 Mac Pro to shows years ago as part of our old video mothership. It sucked. Nobody without roadies should play out with one of those.

I'm getting one of those new little jet-engine style Mac Pros, though. That plus a monitor I can fit in a bag looks perfect.

Code:E 5:51 PM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:
You know, I bet a current iMac with the optional 680MX 2gb video card would be pretty awesome.

Too bad the damned things are sealed shut with GLUE (!)

Still seriously considering that option as well. The 27inch with i7 and the 2gb 680, maybe 32gb ddr also. It would be one powerful machine. almost forgot dual thunderbolt. I would finally be able to run a black magic card at the same time and take a 2nd battling video DJ's video out and run it into resolume and mix it with my signal. But 1 problem, the club i res at i would have no problem setting it up, but as I hear from so many people on this forum and from my own experience not all DJ booths are created equal and fitting it in some booth might be sketchy.

Quote:
And I used to haul a G5 Mac Pro to shows years ago as part of our old video mothership. It sucked. Nobody without roadies should play out with one of those.

Should is a very good point. I would not prefer it but if i had no choice.
Quote:
I'm getting one of those new little jet-engine style Mac Pros, though. That plus a monitor I can fit in a bag looks perfect.

My thoughts exactly. And if i ever do show where I'm flying a LCD computer monitor (though odd) is not a very outlandish request. Any club has a computer or 6 in it for various reasons, as long as one is a 20 inch widescreen or bigger I could always use that. and the mac keyboard and track pad are small and easy to pack into a bag.
Code:E 5:55 PM - 4 September, 2013
@DJ Mark

How do you feel about Hackintosh's?

This is something I am still very much considering. Mainly because I have a rolling Gator rack and a sever computer case already mounted in it (missing a computer inside the case). I used to have a PC in that case. that PC has now become my home computer when I moved over to laptops.

I want a stand alone tower because of 2 reason. 1 I want to be able to do visuals for shows off my computer as well, My current 17inch MBP does alright but I would like to have a computer with 6 outputs and loads of video power, and 2 loads of video power, again towers can have massive video cards.
Culprit 7:13 PM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:
@DJ Mark

This is something I am still very much considering. Mainly because I have a rolling Gator rack and a sever computer case already mounted in it (missing a computer inside the case). I used to have a PC in that case. that PC has now become my home computer when I moved over to laptops.

I want a stand alone tower because of 2 reason. 1 I want to be able to do visuals for shows off my computer as well, My current 17inch MBP does alright but I would like to have a computer with 6 outputs and loads of video power, and 2 loads of video power, again towers can have massive video cards.

I ran OSX on an Alienware m9750 gtx for years when I could not get video sl to run on in windows properly. I spent about 2 weeks alone just to get the video working using using different id's in plistpro, so be prepared for that if it does not work correct the first time around.
Culprit 7:15 PM - 4 September, 2013
Here was the magic number to make mine work. This was for the osx driver to identify my video card. This is really old so alot of this might be improved by now, just just for a reference.

www.insanelymac.com
Code:E 7:44 PM - 4 September, 2013
tony mac x86 seems to have all the info and buying guides i need to build a mac.
DJMark 9:11 PM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:

My feeling is one of concern that, if Apple keeps "iPad-izing" their computers, it may be something I *have* to do the next time I need to upgrade my workstation. I'm keeping an open mind on their new Mac Pro design, but I'm already irritated that they've gone the "cute" route at the expense of ALL internal expansion/upgradability.

The iMac is an awesome design. Except that you have to go through hell (including ungluing the screen with a heat gun) just to replace the hard drive. I can understand that design decision for a $600 iPad, not so much for a $2,000-$3,000+ desktop computer.
Code:E 12:50 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
My feeling is one of concern that, if Apple keeps "iPad-izing" their computers, it may be something I *have* to do the next time I need to upgrade my workstation.

I have that same concern but I'm concerned about the fact that if they keep iPad-izing their computers hackintosh's will no longer function, I really worried about that with the new upcoming OSX 10.9

Quote:
I'm keeping an open mind on their new Mac Pro design, but I'm already irritated that they've gone the "cute" route at the expense of ALL internal expansion/upgradability.

So is every other pro who is not on their payroll.
DouggyFresh 5:43 PM - 5 September, 2013
My Asus laptop runs Hackintosh very good, played it for over a year 2-3 nights a week without any issues.. Used both Video-SL and ME with it, only bad part is HDMI out never worked so in the past year I've had to resort to Windows + Serato Video, which I got working pretty good.
Code:E 5:57 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
My Asus laptop runs Hackintosh very good, played it for over a year 2-3 nights a week without any issues.. Used both Video-SL and ME with it, only bad part is HDMI out never worked so in the past year I've had to resort to Windows + Serato Video, which I got working pretty good.

Did you laptop have another video out besides the HDMI?
DouggyFresh 7:09 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Did you laptop have another video out besides the HDMI?

Of course, it has VGA. Had trouble getting the screen refresh rate right, not sure if the VGA to HDMI converter I bought was bad (it was only about $60, bought it on closeout special), but I went ahead and just kept using the Windows + SV...
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:05 PM - 29 May, 2014
The reason NI made the mothership set-up is that you would be more inclined to buy ALL the products, and then be like "Hey all I have the F----- Mothership, yALL!!!!"

P.S. DJ Cotts' setup is the real mothership: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ JT Stevens 8:35 PM - 31 May, 2014
Glad to see that this post got bumped, some great discussion in here. Really enjoyed reading what you guys were chatting about. It inspires me to do more, expand on my very modest setup, and get back into video.

Code:E, was there ever any resolution to the issue? Or did you just not try to run the Bridge again in your setup?
Code:E 9:20 PM - 1 June, 2014
Quote:
Code:E, was there ever any resolution to the issue? Or did you just not try to run the Bridge again in your setup?

Well I just did fix the problem a couple of months ago. But I have long since stopped using the bridge.

The fix..... Buy a bigger better more powerful Macbook Pro.

I stopped running Resolume with the 17" mac and I now have a Late 2013 MBPr with a 2GB video card and PIC-E SSD and that thing is a beast.

Since getting it I started working on some really cool new visuals stuff. I'm sure i will post something big about it once it's ready.
DJ JT Stevens 3:01 PM - 13 June, 2014
Quote:
The fix..... Buy a bigger better more powerful Macbook Pro.

Haha, I'm not surprised. Had to do the same thing recently and picked up the same laptop that you have. It's freaking amazing.

Quote:
Since getting it I started working on some really cool new visuals stuff. I'm sure i will post something big about it once it's ready.

Cool. Looking forward to it.
Code:E 6:34 PM - 13 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Cool. Looking forward to it.

Well the cats out of the bag now. I was working on my own Mixer Effects section using a syphon in/out effect in Mix Emergency, But I was getting low FPS. It was really cool then a preview ME 2.6 thanks to nick which I was sworn to secrecy about. And the mixer effects section he added was almost EXACTLY what I was trying todo with Resolume ME and syphon and didnt have any of the low FPS issues I was having. So I have stopped working on what I was doing.

Next is to start using the the Resolume BPM sync and getting together a bunch of visuals decks to sync to the music.