DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How did you pick your stage name?

DJ Creative 1 7:01 PM - 13 November, 2008
Just tell a creative story of how you picked you djing name
.:DjDECiPHA:. 8:07 PM - 13 November, 2008
I started off producing before djing... the way I learned to program drums was to listen to RZA and Timbo back in the day (90's) and pick apart their drum patterns... like decifering codes. Throw an "A" at the end and u got DECiPHA... add some Technics and you got a DJ.
sixxx 8:52 PM - 13 November, 2008
First and Middle name.... hence DJ Sixxx
djransom 10:05 PM - 13 November, 2008
Tried to do the rapping thing before djing and a cat gave me the name A King's Ransom. Rapping didn't work, so when I started spinnin I just took the name Ransom.
bboyrealone 1:33 AM - 14 November, 2008
Quote:
Just tell a creative story of how you picked you djing name

Are you Tim? If not, there is another DJ named DJ Creative One, from Conn.
R-Tistic 1:53 AM - 14 November, 2008
I honestly don't remember...I used to rap, then produced before DJ'n....my name is Ronald, so I remember going by "RMC" in 94, "DJ Flow" in 96, and was tryna find a new name in 98-99....I don't even remember how I came up with "R-Tistic" aside from the "R" being for Ronald...but I ended up makin several acronyms from it as well....such as "R.onald T.urner I.s S.till T.he I.nstrumental C.onnoisseur"
Marty Mcfly 2:17 AM - 14 November, 2008
DjWoody 2:59 AM - 14 November, 2008
This was my high school nickname many many many years ago.
DJ Sniffles 3:58 AM - 14 November, 2008
Grew up with this name from real real bad allergies
OakLawnDJ 4:18 AM - 14 November, 2008
When I was an infant, I guess I used to always hit my sisters... rendering me the nickname "Rocky." When my oldest sister met her future husband (a club DJ at the time), he called me "Rockman." When I picked up DJing at the age of 13 (because of him), he jokingly called me DJ Randy Rock Da House... and I liked it so I used it for a while. I don't introduce myself as "DJ Randy Rock Da House" anymore, but if anyone asks what my DJ name is, that's what I tell them.
Caramac 3:18 PM - 14 November, 2008
We were sitting round one lunch time joking with some girls about if we were a food what food we'd be. Some girl turned to me and said well you ain't chocolate and you ain't vanilla and I said I'm a Caramac (caramel chocolate type bar) and it stuck from there. I used to spell it Karamack but got bored with having to spell it everytime someone asked me and just used the same spelling as the sweet.
DJ-A 4:09 PM - 14 November, 2008
DJ-A isnt my stage name... but it has a funny story... I was with some friends and about to go into a gig. outside there was a group of mexicans who recognized me... and at the same time they yelled AAAAAAAAAA!!! My friends laughed and from then on it was a joke... "AAAAAA!"
DJ CISC0 4:17 PM - 14 November, 2008
<---It's part of my first name so growing up everyone called me Cisco for short...Really nothing creative about that.
Mic Terror 4:31 PM - 14 November, 2008
I'm from the Old Skool, I had two names give to Me Big Muthafuckin Mike (to seperate me from the other Big Mikes that weren't as Big) and Terror (cause they used to call me Terror on the Mike) I just put them both together then shortened it after I saw the looks on label reps faces when I would tell them I'm Big Muthafuckin Mike The Terror
stevie o 6:29 PM - 14 November, 2008
My first name is steve. my last name begins with o
Hassle 8:07 PM - 14 November, 2008
my real name is Hessel. not too common Dutch name.

I lived in Portland,OR for a while. I was in this bar, and I started talkin to this girl. I was like 'how you doin. my name's Hessel'...she gave me this funny look and responded:'your name is asshole? thats the worst pick-up line I've ever heard!'
DVDjHardy 9:13 PM - 14 November, 2008
lol Hassle.

My name is actually Hardy.
OakLawnDJ 11:56 PM - 14 November, 2008
Quote:
my real name is Hessel. not too common Dutch name.

I lived in Portland,OR for a while. I was in this bar, and I started talkin to this girl. I was like 'how you doin. my name's Hessel'...she gave me this funny look and responded:'your name is asshole? thats the worst pick-up line I've ever heard!'

From that point, you could say "that's ok, since I can't imagine you've heard too many." ;D
sopranosupasta 2:20 AM - 15 November, 2008
yep, same boat here. my first name is Chris, and amongst my friends in the last their was always more than one Chris, SO I became Cee. and my last name is Block. so

I am DJ Cee Block
DJ Jonasty 4:31 AM - 15 November, 2008
My name Is Jonas and someone in Alaska drunk at a bar one night called me Jonasty... and it kind of stuck.. Plus I'd do some nasty shit here and there.
ntmoney 9:34 AM - 15 November, 2008
My first name starts with "N". My last name starts with "T". And I like "Money". So I put them together and made DJ NT Money. I get clowned for it being close to the rapper JT Money. Sometimes when I tell people my name they start singing... Who dat Who dat Who dat Who dat Who? Try'n to get up in my crew....
DJ Cru 10:04 AM - 15 November, 2008
DJ Cru... in high school, waaaay back in the day.. lol.. I use to ride BMX bikes, and got the nick name cru jones (from the 1984 movie RAD) so my friends starting calling me Cru... and after trying a million other diff DJ names...

DJ Cru just sounded the best...
DjRekTek 10:09 AM - 15 November, 2008
RekTek..short for the Rekshop Teknishun.
Hassle 12:01 PM - 15 November, 2008
Quote:
yep, same boat here. my first name is Chris, and amongst my friends in the last their was always more than one Chris, SO I became Cee. and my last name is Block. so

I am DJ Cee Block

aaaah, I thought that was your section in juvy or something ;)
Chopper Dave 3:27 PM - 15 November, 2008
Watchuk.youtube.com

Its a good sample to scratch with too, especially his Aooooo!

The film Chopper is useful too.
dj_KaSE 4:53 PM - 15 November, 2008
Skimmed through the dictionary, replaced the "C" with a "K" and that is literally the end of story.
djskiggz 1:56 AM - 16 November, 2008
used to be 400 lbs people called me "biggz", lost 170 and now people call me "skiggz" (skinny biggz) lol....
DJ Prinvale` 2:07 AM - 16 November, 2008
nothing creative. Just my last name
DJ Slade 5:54 PM - 17 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I am DJ Cee Block

LOL

Quote:

Hookt awn Fawnix werkt 4 mi! -- Sorry, just had to :)
DJ_PHAZE 8:55 PM - 18 November, 2008
First DJ name was KHEPERA NETJER shorted to KEPRA (DJ KEPRA. I got the name from studying egyptian Mythology and Hieroglyphics. www.egyptianmyths.net In a nutshell I saw myself as the young dj in my crew to take the art-form to the next level for Soca/Caribbean DJs.

Now Kepra is like my Birth name and for marketing purposes and because i realized that I got sick and tired of explaining to drunk horny chicks who really could not care less about the intellectual aptitude associated with my DJ name. Visa vie, I was pussy punting myself with my nerd-iness.

Now my sobriquet is DJ PHAZE, still intellectual... PHAZE = faze(to disrupt, cause hesitation, scare) and; Phase(a distinctive period of time).
DJ PHAZE
THERE'S ONLY 1!
www.djphaze.com
Trackfeen 10:26 PM - 18 November, 2008
The First name i went by Was Dj Entyce... But i kept getting confused with a stripper that went by the same name...(entice).. When i hopped into the mobiel scene the kids would always call me Dj mike... So I Started Going By Mic L Just Cause it looked cool and its my first and last name...
tamobanter 9:58 AM - 21 November, 2008
I'm scottish, theres an old robert burns poem called 'Tam O' Shanter' people think i'm a wideo but dont understand its just banter so i called myself 'Tamobanter'..now most people call me 'Tamo' instead of Sean lolz
dja_one 10:17 AM - 21 November, 2008
Like 80% of everybody else on here...When I was making beats back in the day...hahaha.

My name use to be Amazin' A (I'm a 80's kid)...hahaha and then one day back in '92 I had made this crazy ass beat for this cat I was recording. His boy was over there on the sideline and just kept complimenting one after the other (I actually started to feel uncomfortable...haha) You know how when somebody makes you feel like they tryingto hard to get on your good side? Anyway, I told my dude he had to tell his friend to go cause I was feeling wierd in my own house and I wasn't having that. His boy got a little upset of course and started saying shit as he was going out the door and was like..."oh I get it; everything is so AMAZING that I can't see it. Oops I didn't mean to touch your AMAZING door...blah blah blah" Then my dude was like yo he wore your wack ass name out...hahaha! But yo, he was just feeling your shit...you didn't have to act like that. He was just amazed at the top notch shit you was doing in this basement. He was saying you the A #1 producer in the area....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

A-O.N.E.? Yeah I like it...

DJ A-O.N.E. was born.
DJDiablo 2:23 PM - 21 November, 2008
When I was in Spain for vacation back in '96, some dude just randomly started callin me DJ Diablo since he knew I was a DJ and it kinda stuck.
Caramac 2:42 PM - 21 November, 2008
Quote:
When I was in Spain for vacation back in '96, some dude just randomly started callin me DJ Diablo since he knew I was a DJ and it kinda stuck.

Lol talk about random.
DjRekTek 9:34 AM - 22 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am DJ Cee Block

LOL

Quote:

Hookt awn Fawnix werkt 4 mi! -- Sorry, just had to :)

Yes, you could spell it correctly....Wreck shop technician, but what fun is that?
Hassle 11:05 AM - 22 November, 2008
Diablo? What does that mean?
I think it's mexican for fighting chicken.
that's awesome!!!
Ruffdawg 11:22 AM - 22 November, 2008
I started with the name Ruffdougie, Dougie being my first name and Ruff to account for my unclean scratching. Then one day while playing a popular online first person shooter and doing very well (for a change) i typed in the chat box "you cant fuck with the Ruff Dawwwwwg" and thought, heh, cool and stuck with it ever since.
Clark W. Griswold 1:53 PM - 22 November, 2008
Used to go by "Bricktop"....was the nickname of a low-level drug dealer on one episode of NYPD Blue waaaaay back when David Caruso was the star. The dealer had red hair like I do, so I adopted it.

After many years of people calling me "Brickhouse" or some other mutilation by mistake, I went with an absolute one-off after my favorite movie character, Clark W. Griswold from National Lampoon's Vacation.

The name is much more versatile than Bricktop, as I can go with "ClarkDub", "Clark Dubya" or simply "The Griz". Additionally, when anyone over the age of 30 sees my name on the flyer, they get a chuckle out of it. I can also sample soundbites from the movies as drops. Kinda money.
Clark W. Griswold 1:57 PM - 22 November, 2008
....besides, my wife said that "DJ Jesus H. Christ on a popsickle stick" was too long.
Ruffdawg 11:47 PM - 22 November, 2008
Quote:
I'm scottish, theres an old robert burns poem called 'Tam O' Shanter' people think i'm a wideo but dont understand its just banter so i called myself 'Tamobanter'..now most people call me 'Tamo' instead of Sean lolz

The same Tamobanter off scottishhardcore ?
baron_von_scratch 12:55 AM - 23 November, 2008
1983: Saturday morning Hanna-Barbera cartoons inspired an up and coming dj/production duo to adopt the names, Baron Von Scratch and Sir Mix-A-Lot.
DJ KICKO 6:04 PM - 24 November, 2008
Back in the day I used to play socom under the name Young Kicko. It's
Originally from Kung Faux but after that my boy Drew would see me in person every now and then and he would be like young kicko(in an Arnold) type voice haha. It just stuck