DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

..has anyone had any luck mapping an APC40?

Marskeet 8:03 AM - 16 July, 2013
..been experimenting with getting feedback for lighting with an apc40, but haven't had any luck so far..

i've also noticed that once i do have anything mapped to a pad - it will output a piano/keyboard sound through my laptop speakers..

so far i have tested midi mapping with just serato alone, and have also tested the method involving the apc40 handshake that involves opening ableton, unplugging the usb cable, closing ableton, and then replugging the usb and finally starting scratch live.. however nothing seems to be working in that regard either.

have gone as far as trying to edit the XML files also - but am not yielding any positive results.

anyone else having any luck?
Xfade 8:25 AM - 16 July, 2013
I'm mapping my APC 20, they are almost the same :)

I do begin with the Ableton handshake, but I do it differently, I plugin the APC and start it, start Ableton, enter the Midi Settings and select the APC as a Control Surface and then deselect it again, this works for me, never tried you method but it probably works too :)

On the mapping side most stuff work as I want them too. I get Loops to light up when they play, Samples and Effects light up when they play/are activated. The main thing that I can't get to work as I want is the Cue points, when I hold down a key for a Cue it lights up but it turns off as soon as I release it, and I don't think there is a way to make them work as I want as of now :)

If you have an old Midi save in Scratch Live that you use you might have to go around to all you mappings and deactivate the Lights on function and turn it on again to make it work, I had to do this :)
Marskeet 8:30 AM - 16 July, 2013
..ah i see! maybe the method that i'm using is mucking something up.. previous to scratch live v2.5.0 i had a default template in ableton that would light up my apc40 so that i'd have all of my cues, loops and what not lit up - but was hoping to avoid having to even open ableton.

are you using a pc/mac?

are you experiencing the same piano type sound coming out of your laptop speakers?
Xfade 8:31 AM - 16 July, 2013
I use a Mac, and no, no piano sound :P Sounds like you have some kind of midi synth running in the background or something :) sounds really wierd :P
Marskeet 8:39 AM - 16 July, 2013
..just retested.

im using a PC, so that maybe why im having differing results than you are :(

whether or not i complete the able handshake, when ever i press any of the clip launch pads i get the same synth sound outputted through my laptop speakers.

only if i complete the handshake, am i able to get the loops to light up - and am having trouble getting the cues to light up just the same as you.
Xfade 8:49 AM - 16 July, 2013
The sound you get is totally wierd, did that happen before you installed Scratch Live 2.5? Have you installed anything else recently that might be the source of that sound?

I'm guessing the Midi out support will get better and better for every update, so I assume it's waiting time for them Cue! :D I want them to light up orange when I have a cue and when I press the button I want it to be green :D Would be awesome to get all that info! :) Same thing with the loop buttons, would be cool if they were always green so I knew what buttons I have mapped and they started flashing when the loop was active :)
Mr Wilks 10:23 PM - 17 July, 2013
The piano sound seems to be the Windows MIDI kicking in.

I get it too (along with nearly everyone else on Windows) but it's only through the laptop and not through the main output so no biggie.
Marskeet 7:23 AM - 18 July, 2013
@Xfade.. Thats exactly what i want it to do too!

@MrWilks.. Glad to hear that its not only me thats experiencing this, though i havent been keeping tabs on any of the other posts related to MIDI lately..

I'm getting excited for the moment I dont have to open ableton first to use my APC40 with lights on - unless I want to use the bridge!
REDSELECTER 2:04 PM - 18 July, 2013
For changing the firmware mode on the APC40 w/o opening Ableton check this out -> www.tunecrew.com

It is Mac only at the moment, but I have Windows/Linux code almost ready
Marskeet 7:14 AM - 19 July, 2013
@REDSELECTER.. very excited to hear/read about that! please keep me posted about the developments on the PC side of things as my Mac is down until i pick up a new one.. sad to say but for now i am stuck dealing with a PC..
REDSELECTER 12:57 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
@REDSELECTER.. very excited to hear/read about that! please keep me posted about the developments on the PC side of things as my Mac is down until i pick up a new one.. sad to say but for now i am stuck dealing with a PC..

The irony is, the reason that it only works on the Mac right now is that the Mac's Java MIDI implementation is broken, so I had to use a hack to get it to work (which then breaks the functionality on other platforms).

But I'm adding a part that will autio-detect the OS you're using and switch accordinglyl

At this point though it is still just a command line thing, unless someone wants to write a wrapper for it.
Marskeet 2:33 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
The irony is, the reason that it only works on the Mac right now is that the Mac's Java MIDI implementation is broken, so I had to use a hack to get it to work (which then breaks the functionality on other platforms).

But I'm adding a part that will autio-detect the OS you're using and switch accordinglyl

At this point though it is still just a command line thing, unless someone wants to write a wrapper for it.

..even if it will just work from command line on the PC i would still be hella appreciative to use it!
thebuttonfreak 10:11 PM - 27 July, 2013
Got mine to work, the led feedback on fx and loops is what I've been hoping for.
djmikec22 3:03 AM - 16 October, 2013
i've also noticed that once i do have anything mapped to a pad - it will output a piano/keyboard sound through my laptop speakers..

I have also had the same issue with the piano sound. Any fixes yet?
joedigital 7:00 PM - 3 February, 2014
i also would like to use an apc40 with serato dj and video…. is it possible someone would be so kind as to detail the steps needed to do this?

any help is greatly appreciated!
DJ TooHypE 7:57 PM - 10 June, 2014
Quote:
i also would like to use an apc40 with serato dj and video…. is it possible someone would be so kind as to detail the steps needed to do this?

any help is greatly appreciated!

-minus the video. But def would like info bout SSL & SDJ with APC40.