DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Kontrol X1 Midi Mapping & Lights

Andrei Matei 8:12 AM - 15 July, 2013
Hi Everyone,

With the release of SSL 2.5, I decided to pull out my Kontrol X1 and see if the advertised midi mapping + lights works with it. It still functions as before: clicking a button (ie: effects on) in Serato on my laptop does not light up the corresponding mapped button on the X1. So, the on/off states can still be out of sync. Is this because the light-enabled mapping hasn't been created for the X1 yet? I was assuming 2.5 now makes Serato send midi data to the controller, but perhaps I've misunderstood and its *only* for the listed controllers?

Please help!

Thanks so much.

Andrei
Daniel Ventura 8:18 AM - 15 July, 2013
Make sure the buttons are sending out Note on/off messages, not Control Change (CC). MIDI out only works with Note messages. Most all of NI's controllers use Control Change messages by default. You can change them to Note in the Control Editor.

(Quoted from konix)
Andrei Matei 8:30 AM - 15 July, 2013
Hey Daniel,

Just tried this. Right you are! Serato now sends the light information to the X1. However, when its set to "note" in the Controller Editor, you have to hit the button 2-4 times to get it to either turn the function on or off. In CC mode, it functions normally, sans light syncing.

Any other ideas on the last part I'm missing?

Andrei
feeds 6:16 PM - 15 July, 2013
Andrei Matei: do you use a mac or a windows pc? when i press a button it will light, when i press it again it is off... i use a mac, midipipe (for lighting) and nothing else since scratch live 2.3...
VJ Justin Allen 6:29 PM - 15 July, 2013
feeds, One of the purposes of this release is that programs like midipipe will not be needed.
Andrei Matei 3:18 AM - 17 July, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, feeds. I ought to give it a try. I was hoping I could get away with not using it with the latest release. :/ Hopefully soon...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 9:54 AM - 17 July, 2013
Hey guys,

if your controller needs to receive CC instead of Note On and Note Off, you can edit the MIDI XML manually with a text editor.

Quote:

<Output name="Sample Player Play 1" >
<Off channel="1" event_type="Note Off" control="41" value="0" />
<On channel="1" event_type="Note On" control="41" value="127" />
</Output>

-->

Quote:

<Output name="Sample Player Play 1" >
<Off channel="1" event_type="Control Change" control="41" value="1" />
<On channel="1" event_type="Control Change" control="41" value="15" />
</Output>

See how i also changed the value attribute, this can be handy to achieve different colors.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:34 PM - 17 July, 2013
Dj Marcus Paris 8:48 PM - 5 August, 2013
One Question for Serato
i did a new mapping for my Kontrol X1 with midi output, all is good, but why does the sampler buttons don't switch off like cue buttons when i use them?
ScratchLive seems to use them like fx buttons?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:39 PM - 11 August, 2013
Hi Dj Marcus Paris

there is a know bug with the sampler and MIDI Out

In short, it only works properly when the sampler plugin is visible on your screen.

Cheers

Karl Y
Konstantinos Moutafis 1:21 PM - 25 February, 2014
anyone who can send me a midi map for seratodj & traktor x1 ???

i cant map the x1 with serato dj!! with scratch live for me was easy.. whats wrong???
my best regards !!!
Dj Dunya 9:14 AM - 11 March, 2014
Hey Guys,

I'm new to Serato for the video plug in from today ;) I was working before with traktor. I have a traktor control X1, F1 & Z1. I was hoping to use them for Serato ? Do you know where i can find disent mappings for the controllers ?
beezwax 2:40 PM - 15 April, 2014
I couldn't get the MIDI lighting to work on my X1 mk1

Tried changing from 'control change' to 'note' but no joy.

Works fine on my Xone:K2

The X1 was playing up a little before though so it might be a hardware problem but please let me know if you have any ideas....
JonnyD'Lux 8:46 PM - 5 November, 2014
BeezWax,

Did you ever get up and running? Please help. I too am in the same boat as you. Why we have to use all sorts of tips and tricks to get a controller talking is beyond me. I bought the X1 due to its rigid build quality and simple layout (for my needs). Perhaps MIDI isn't just... MIDI.

Jon
Mr. Goodkat 1:48 AM - 10 December, 2014
anybody get the INT button to map??? really doesnt matter what button i use or even slider, i get nothing out it in MIDI mode.

i see in the midi panel you have everything but the int button for mapping.

serato guys: the reason this is important for DVS users, is if you get dusty needles or have a tracking error, the REL or ABS mode switches to INT, however it usually jumps down like -8, always been that way from SSL.

However, I map a button for int, and a slider for the pitch so if it does jump down i can quickly get back to where i was pitch wise.

i can now map all buttons except for INT and auto loop. loop roll is programable but when you program it, in the midi panel loop roll and auto loop both trigger(showing you are hitting the button) its still a loop roll, but its not a auto loop.

i do have the scroll and load working.

getting close......

am i the only one that can't program the INT button???
JonnyD'Lux 3:17 AM - 10 December, 2014
I bet it is not the INT button as much as its the button on the controller. I've found that getting in the control editor software to find the right settings for the buttons is key. I couldn't get the reverse/edit button mapped but finally got it going.

I can't get the scroll wheels... Can you PM me some how? Let's trade intellect data and create a how to guide. This is rediculas! SSL was a breeze but with SDJ you really have to get dorky in Traktor Control Editor and NOBODY is sharing the Intel.
Mr. Goodkat 6:10 AM - 10 December, 2014
you used to have to change it to mcl wheel in the editor, but it works fine, you just have to turn it and then use compliment 2s if im not mistaken, by after turning the wheels, hit c until compliment 2s comes up. there are only about 5 options.
Andrei Matei 10:28 PM - 11 December, 2014
Thanks so much to everyone in this thread. I've finally re-visited this issue and gotten it to work. For the X1 with SSL, you need to set your X1 via the NI Controller Editor to note, gate, midi in. Then both the lighting and the toggling works perfectly. WOOHOO!
jepe 6:31 PM - 26 December, 2014
hi guys. i was programming everything in midi control panel setup in Sdj with X1, however i was not able to assign the absolute / relative buttons. everything seems to work ok, i was able to map the library scroll, the loop , loop size but what most easy seems i couldn't . any suggestion? or anyone found the same issue?
Mr. Goodkat 8:32 PM - 26 December, 2014
couldnt get the int button to map, but havent tried to do abs/rel yet.

it feels almost intentional, but hey, it is SDJ.
jepe 4:26 PM - 27 December, 2014
i was able to do it. changing the button type in controller editor.
however i got a new problem to solve now. when i do a loop, and turn it of the track doesnt keep playing after the loop but it skips to the absolute position (like if i didn't have done the loop)
Lotusdj1 3:54 PM - 25 February, 2017
I realize this thread has been dead for 2 years but, was anyone able to map get the X1 leds to stay lit? For example, when mapping cue points. I can get the cue point assigned and to play back but, I want the led to light up indicating there is a stored cue point. Is this possible with Serato DJ/X1?
Deejay Vission 12:56 AM - 27 January, 2018
You have to open up Traktor Controller Editor
once there you have to go to preferences,
Select the devide that you're using and there should be Brightness Slider that you can adjust.
djkifkif 4:44 PM - 12 February, 2019
he’s not talking about brightness slider, it’s about cue points to stay lit when there is cue point stored, i do that setting: note/gate/midi in, but no success, got only light when pressing button. but can’t stay lit.. any suggestions or must edit xml file?
barfuss 11:58 AM - 4 October, 2019
have exactly the same problem. The cue points don't light up when assigned. Can anyone help?
barfuss 11:59 AM - 4 October, 2019
have exactly the same problem. The cue points don't light up when assigned. Can anyone help?