Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Tempo drifting

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 + Numark NSFX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
jonnynoxious 11:44 PM - 24 June, 2013
Hey all!
I have a problem! I've been doing some guest DJing for a friend's weekly, and recently I've been having a rather strange problem.
It is, as follows:

I'll cue up two songs. Normal, right?
I'll make sure Key Lock is on.
I'll match the BPM, and use the pitch shift buttons on his NS7 to line the white markers/beat grid up. Okay. What's the problem?
Well, as of late, the grid will gradually slip out of place on one track or the other, and so I'll fade the song in — thinking everything is matched up (I don't use sync), and it will end up be horrendously out of step. So then it looks like I can't beat match and the faces in the crowd light up with disgust.

PLEASE HELP! What's going on?!

Note: I should also add that I've tried this on a demo unit/setup at Guitar Center as well to no avail. Oddly, I used my old flash drive (a 2 GB) and I really wasn't able to replicate the problem — or at least not as severely. This has happened on 2 successive drives from completely different manufacturers, and weren't even made in the same countries.

Thanks for your help!

Warm regards to the whole team,
Jonny
dizzyrocks2001 12:06 AM - 25 June, 2013
Are you sure your beat grids are analyzed properly? Listen to one of the tracks and look at the beat grid and wave form... the lines of the beat grid should match up with the peaks of the waveform, if the grid isn't aligned properly with the waveform then this would definitely cause your mix to be off if you were mixing visually. I found it kind of funny when you said "it looks like I can't beat match" because by the way your description of being visually reliant on the waveforms you can't beat match lol. I'm sure this isn't the case but it sounded funny... it's as if you were saying "sure I can beat match as long as I have waveforms and a beat grid" lol. l By the way, I don't thing the manufacturer of the drives has any bearing on the issue. My guess is that you may have did something to mess up the beat grids on your newer flash drive but the beat grids on the older one remained as you left them / as they used to be.
jonnynoxious 1:00 AM - 25 June, 2013
Actually, having been a musician from age 2, I think I knew beat matching before you were using those V7's, and long before the advent of the vinyl-less DJ. lol

The point is, I've already analyzed the files (give me a LITTLE credit) again.
Maybe you just think I'm an idiot?
dizzyrocks2001 3:17 AM - 25 June, 2013
For the record I've been DJing for 30 years, but anyways, I'm trying to help you. Even if a track has been analyzed doesn't mean that you can't accidentally mess up the beat grid by accidentally hitting the "tap bpm" button or something. If your beat grids are lined up "on the one" properly and in line from the beginning of the track to the end then lining up the beat grids of two properly analyzed tracks should result in the songs matching. Take a closer look at your tracks, I'm pretty sure the beat grid has drifted off the beat somewhere. Seeing as you don't use the sync button though I'm not really sure why you're even using beat grids when you have parallel wave forms, a beat-matching display AND a tempo matching display. By the way, I AM giving you credit but when someone prides themself on not using the sync button but then says their mixes are off and blame the beat grid I have to question their mixing technique/abilities. I'll admit I use the waveforms to get my mixes spot on but I still ALWAYS use my ears as well, and would never just blindly mix in a track without listening in the headphones first.
jonnynoxious 11:02 PM - 25 June, 2013
Don't take my remarks too seriously. Re-analyzed the files again. We'll see how it goes.
jonnynoxious 11:04 PM - 25 June, 2013
Also, I definitely use cans to preview. Are you kidding me? Do you really think I'm some sort of ass hat? lol
dizzyrocks2001 2:50 AM - 26 June, 2013
You said "and so I'll fade the song in — thinking everything is matched up (I don't use sync), and it will end up be horrendously out of step. So then it looks like I can't beat match and the faces in the crowd light up with disgust."... so if you're using your headphones then wouldn't you realize the tracks are out of sync before fading the song in?
Serato, Support
Rui K 4:55 AM - 27 June, 2013
Hi Jonny,

Would you be able to try and mix with sync mode and see if that works for you? ITCH will try to beat match but sounds will be off the beats If beat grids are not set correctly. Also would you be able to attach one or two of the track you having problem with?

Thank you
Rui
jonnynoxious 7:18 AM - 9 July, 2013
Quote:
You said "and so I'll fade the song in — thinking everything is matched up (I don't use sync), and it will end up be horrendously out of step. So then it looks like I can't beat match and the faces in the crowd light up with disgust."... so if you're using your headphones then wouldn't you realize the tracks are out of sync before fading the song in?

Lol well yeah, but I listen to the channels instead of the master... and I have this nasty habit of listening to my external noise and forgetting to compensate for any signal loss/delay there might be between that and the board (I actually use semi-enclosed, which I had around for rough mastering). I suppose I should buy some fully enclosed for the studio anyhow.

And also:

Quote:
Hi Jonny,

Would you be able to try and mix with sync mode and see if that works for you? ITCH will try to beat match but sounds will be off the beats If beat grids are not set correctly. Also would you be able to attach one or two of the track you having problem with?

Thank you
Rui

Ah, the employee arrives. No. No sync. I did read a really interesting on it though. Maybe you guys will find it interesting, too.
djworx.com

Anyway, I could attach a couple of tracks in a PM if that's possible.
Also, most of them seem to be behaving, for the most part (knock on vinyl).

Cheers.
Serato, Support
Rui K 10:16 PM - 9 July, 2013
Hey Jonny,

Quote:
No. No sync.

I just like to clarify have you tried what did I asked before? "No" means beat grids are didn't sync even with SYNC mode?

My question was just try use sync with song A & song B and tell me sync functionality did or didn't work.

That could give me two different way to help you.

Did work - I need further investigation.

Didn't work - Maybe beat grids didn't set correctly. I would suggest you to set beat grid and see how it go. (Watchwww.youtube.com)

Let me know how it go and please feel free for attach the files on this thread. I'll have a look for you. :)

KInd Regards
Rui
1:57 AM, 30 Aug 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.