DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wack mixing on Hot 97

DJ Matty Stiles 9:51 AM - 21 June, 2013
I'm not one to critique, but damn, I just had to share this with you guys.

Normally I'd defend cats like Funk Flex and hot 97, new york, east cost style mixing, but this shit is just wack.

Even Mr Cee is tappin him on the shoulder like "WTF are you doing?!"

Not to mention the usb drop outs.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 11:23 AM - 21 June, 2013
Absolute garbage. Funk Flex ain't much better.
Jairen 11:24 AM - 21 June, 2013
What's new? That's the NY way of mixing...
DJMark 11:29 AM - 21 June, 2013
That's what passes for "mixing" on the radio these days in NYC???

Holy flippin fuck....totally retarded retardation.
DJRemixEnt 11:58 AM - 21 June, 2013
is that dude really djing with skull candy headphones??? auto-fail from the start.
DJ Alkemy 12:01 PM - 21 June, 2013
There is slam mixing on beat and there is just kicking the door in and he got some size 15 Timberlands on.
DJMark 12:12 PM - 21 June, 2013
So this mess was actually broadcast on the radio, or just created for that YouTube clip?

I'm finding it difficult to believe that crap was on the radio...
mtk121 1:20 PM - 21 June, 2013
Heard that guy on Sirius on the Foxxhole....My ears are still in pain from listening! After watching that youtube video I had to redeem myself by watching a Jazzy Jeff and DJ AM video.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:45 PM - 21 June, 2013
I was just thinking about that recently. One of the radio DJs in my town does a daily mix and I hear key clashes, mixes falling off beat a little and more. Also when they do the Holiday mixshows and invite guest DJs and mix all day and night - some of those guys need more experience - rushing too much and rookie mistakes.

Bad mixing becomes "acceptable" now???? Radio mix djs were people to "hate on" when we were coming up because of their position or lucky break - not because their mixing consistently sucked.
DJRemixEnt 1:59 PM - 21 June, 2013
^ haha... i was thinkin the same shit when i listened to the Memorial Wknd mix...

by all means, im no where near perfect and i still fuck up on a consistant basis. but i thought the whole point of djing a decent set is to build a vibe and kinda use songs like steps to kinda build that rise to a climax? the dude in this video was just all over the fuckin place, the track listing made no kinda sense what soever
DJ Matty Stiles 2:08 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
^ haha... i was thinkin the same shit when i listened to the Memorial Wknd mix...

by all means, im no where near perfect and i still fuck up on a consistant basis. but i thought the whole point of djing a decent set is to build a vibe and kinda use songs like steps to kinda build that rise to a climax? the dude in this video was just all over the fuckin place, the track listing made no kinda sense what soever

3.39 is the funniest shit ever. Cee is like "WTF bro"
FunkyRob 2:48 PM - 21 June, 2013
Actually, I think Mr Cee was telling him to say something on the mic.

or possibly asking where's a good spot to pick up some trannies.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:49 PM - 21 June, 2013
Doesn't Flexx "own" a Record Pool??? Why is he trying to jack my man for shitty transition mixes at 4:20?

"Is that a transition? I could use that?"

Or was he talking to Mr Cee.....???

"Is that a transvestite? I could use that?"
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:50 PM - 21 June, 2013
oops "Cee could use that...."
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:01 PM - 21 June, 2013
Link isnt avaliable on mobile, is this the same vid

Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:

Normally I'd defend cats like Funk Flex and hot 97, new york, east cost style mixing, but this shit is just wack.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJRemixEnt 3:09 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Link isnt avaliable on mobile, is this the same vid

Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

yes
DJRemixEnt 3:10 PM - 21 June, 2013
i think flexx was being sarcastic and actually clownin the dude.... at least that's what i picked up on it.
the_black_one 4:35 PM - 21 June, 2013
Hawt garbage....
DJRemixEnt 4:40 PM - 21 June, 2013
heres another one: Watchwww.youtube.com
Chrisjin 4:48 PM - 21 June, 2013
but it was just a demo
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:13 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
heres another one: Watchwww.youtube.com

Dude looks shook
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:15 PM - 21 June, 2013
I would never be comfortable perfornin in that studio, the setup would throw me so off, its like the mixers in the studio the left tables in the lobby and the right ones in the upstairs bathroom
DJRemixEnt 5:22 PM - 21 June, 2013
"lollipop, push-button, wack ass DJ's"...lol: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 5:29 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:

Why don't they just STFU and focus on the music. Hot 97 (from what I have seen) gotta have some of the most egotistical, annoying and frankly wack DJ's I have ever heard or seen.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:16 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:

He spoke that shit though....

Quote:
Why don't they just STFU and focus on the music. Hot 97 (from what I have seen) gotta have some of the most egotistical, annoying and frankly wack DJ's I have ever heard or seen.

That is NYC - Mic Skillz are just as OR more important the music so it seems.....
DJ Alkemy 6:32 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

He spoke that shit though....

Quote:

That is NYC - Mic Skillz are just as OR more important the music so it seems.....

Yeah, I get that but it seems like most of them yap on to disguise their mixing skills.
Chrisjin 6:36 PM - 21 June, 2013
Funk Flex and Clue made me really hate djs at clubs that would drop a beat, kill the track to scream some shit, bring it back, then kill the track, talk more wack shit, then change a song only to play for 5 secs then same shit. Did people go to clubs dance to talk radio or what
DJ Ness Nice 6:38 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If they just focused on the music then they would be nobody as a dj, the ppl have become familuar with their voices, and hosting/talking has become part of who they are as djs. Ive been to a party when Flex did not say a word on the mic and nobody even knew he was djin if they didnt look in the booth.
DJ Alkemy 6:40 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they just focused on the music then they would be nobody as a dj, the ppl have become familuar with their voices, and hosting/talking has become part of who they are as djs. Ive been to a party when Flex did not say a word on the mic and nobody even knew he was djin if they didnt look in the booth.

Like I said, the mic game is a big part obviously on the radio. But they can sometimes bring it to the point of overkill. Annoying as hell. I suppose I shouldn't expect much from Hot 97 DJ's. I prefer DJ's with actual technical skills, not some oaf screaming every few minutes and cutting the track/reloading it/slamming it etc.
DJ Ness Nice 6:42 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Funk Flex and Clue made me really hate djs at clubs that would drop a beat, kill the track to scream some shit, bring it back, then kill the track, talk more wack shit, then change a song only to play for 5 secs then same shit. Did people go to clubs dance to talk radio or what

Not that i condone excessive talking. But whats the difference between Flex talking and hyping the party and Lil John or Fat Man Scoop talking and hyping a party or even hype on a party record?
DJ Alkemy 6:44 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not that i condone excessive talking. But whats the difference between Flex talking and hyping the party and Lil John or Fat Man Scoop talking and hyping a party or even hype on a party record?

Nothing at all. They all suck balls.
Chrisjin 6:52 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Because at a club, people go there to do their little 2 step or girls to bounce that shit (Im not saying I do but the girls I have been to the clubs with especially in Orlando get annoyed real quick) I get annoyed because the song itself is interrupted. You keep killing that track 10-20 secs into it just to "secure" hypeness shows the lack of skills you got on the wheels. I can understand maybe do some voice drops 1-2 an hour but every fucking song? A song that they play for 5 seconds, talk, then switch a track, rinse repeat. Lil Jon and Fatman at least tries to go with the beat when they feel the need to yell
DJ Benny B NYC 6:53 PM - 21 June, 2013
first off, flex is not a turntablist or open format dj by any means, but if you put him in a hip-hop club anywhere in the country he will totally kill it.. he has thrown some of the best parties ever and been doing it for 20 or 30 years now. there's plenty to criticize about him but he deserves credit.

Second, for a hip-hop crowd dropping a hot track from the top is much more effective at getting a crowd reaction than mixing it in. if you dont believe me, go to your gig tonight and try it. it oviously wont work if youre playing swedish house mafia and shit.

also, people do like it when djs use the mic if they are good at it and have a good voice.

And finally, juanyto is in flexs inflexwetrust crew and that is how he got that opportunity. maybe he shouldnt have taken it at his current skill level but its not like a lottery for who gets those guest spots, you have to know somebody...

so dis NY all you want but many of you dont even dj all hip-hop sets and dont know what youre talking about
DJ Ness Nice 6:53 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:

Like I said, the mic game is a big part obviously on the radio. But they can sometimes bring it to the point of overkill. Annoying as hell. I suppose I shouldn't expect much from Hot 97 DJ's. I prefer DJ's with actual technical skills, not some oaf screaming every few minutes and cutting the track/reloading it/slamming it etc.

Overkill... Yes it can be over kill.. Kid Capri wouldnt be who he is now if he didnt do his Kid Capri thing.. thats what ppl come to see. If Capri did a party and did not say a word shit would be a disaster.. I guess you can say it it a form of masking their skills but when you made it doin what you know how to do, you made it.. Dispite how much skill you have. In the world of djin personality rules over skills. so lets all just scream on the mic, slam records, jesus pose and make finger hearts. Thats all the keys to winning.
DJ Alkemy 7:00 PM - 21 June, 2013
I just think the mic screaming/reloading etc is old hat. Was never a fan anyway. I think that shit belongs in the early to mid 90's. Personal preference though.
Chrisjin 7:01 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
first off, flex is not a turntablist or open format dj by any means, but if you put him in a hip-hop club anywhere in the country he will totally kill it.. he has thrown some of the best parties ever and been doing it for 20 or 30 years now. there's plenty to criticize about him but he deserves credit.

Second, for a hip-hop crowd dropping a hot track from the top is much more effective at getting a crowd reaction than mixing it in. if you dont believe me, go to your gig tonight and try it. it oviously wont work if youre playing swedish house mafia and shit.

His 60 minutes of Funk series proves otherwise when he use to beat juggle and all that other shit. I dont know, it must be an NY thing but nothing is more annoying when people wanna hear a joint only to be cut short for the dj to scream some hot air
DJ Ness Nice 7:06 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:

also, people do like it when djs use the mic if they are good at it and have a good voice.

And finally, juanyto is in flexs inflexwetrust crew and that is how he got that opportunity. maybe he shouldnt have taken it at his current skill level but its not like a lottery for who gets those guest spots, you have to know somebody...

so dis NY all you want but many of you dont even dj all hip-hop sets and dont know what youre talking about

Agree 90%.. Flex can and does kill parties in the right setting, like stated before alotta ppl do get annoyed when trying to dance and the yelling insues and record change after 13 seconds... Dropping tracks from the top does def. get the crowd hype, and thats where talking comes into play, i believe you can play any song under the sun as long as you talk and set that record up. I know when i dj i always start out mixing records and blending and transitioning but when the party gets flooded and its poppin, damn right im just droppin records from top.. It gets a totally different reaction, hands get thrown in the air the crowd screams, cant beat that
DJ DisGrace 7:24 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
His 60 minutes of Funk series proves otherwise when he use to beat juggle and all that other shizz. I dont know, it must be an NY thing but nothing is more annoying when people wanna hear a joint only to be cut short for the dj to scream some hot air

This juggle convinced me to switch from doing keg parties with 2 regular CD players to getting into vinyl and real dj'ing. Doesn't sound so great now, but maaannnm back in the day that was HOT!
www.youtube.com
the_black_one 8:04 PM - 21 June, 2013
Well soon enough the NY and NJ cats are going to read all this and defend their turf
Laz219 9:54 PM - 21 June, 2013
That booth layout is horrible.
But yeah, if I heard that while driving home- would not be liking it at all.
DJSCIASCIA 10:47 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Well soon enough the NY and NJ cats are going to read all this and defend their turf

I'm from NYC and I'm shaking my head in shame. I want the last few minutes of my life back.
Can't defend that crap.
DJ Remy USA 11:41 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

but you gotta admit NYC humor is funny the more cocky they are the more they suck but still people from NY make my laugh cause they all are just like that. Well not all but most are and its halarious. My girl if from the bronx she cracks me up all the time
Rdent 3:13 AM - 22 June, 2013
Fuck defending the turf!!! i hate that no skill mic talk cats out here. big SMH seriously Hot 97 when down the drain.... power 105 has better djs hands down (not amazing but i rather hear them over hot 97 heads)
DJMark 9:50 AM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
you gotta admit NYC humor is funny

I guess the (empty) braggadocio has a certain "Dumb And Dumber" humor value to it...

...just still find it difficult to believe this garbage was actually broadcast on any major-market commercial radio station.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:38 AM - 23 June, 2013
smh @ the comments -

"lmao dont quit your day job....damn u suck. Step 1 for you is learn the music then learn how to DJ"
Hassle 4:48 PM - 24 June, 2013
did these dudes blow Mr. Cee to get put on or something?
DJ GaFFle 5:44 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:
do I need to blow Mr. Cee to get put on or something?

Noooo... Audition inquiries should be submitted to: www.hot97.com

:-)

(nm)
pdidy 8:27 PM - 24 June, 2013
DJ JUANYTO LIVE AT CLUB 28 NYC 1/18/13

soundcloud.com

The 1st post is 3 years old.
djaction 8:29 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:
DJ JUANYTO LIVE AT CLUB 28 NYC 1/18/13

soundcloud.com

The 1st post video is fuckin awful.

ftfy.
funkyfresh2012 8:42 PM - 24 June, 2013
smh
the_black_one 9:42 PM - 24 June, 2013
Horrible...
Esco... 9:28 AM - 25 June, 2013
Hard to believe people would actually stay a whole night of that DJ Juanyto mix. If I did this at my spot the bouncers, patrons and bar staff would probably tell me to shut the fuck up. What if you really like the song and want to dance? Or do people just lounge at these places?
Hassle 12:23 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
do I need to blow Mr. Cee to get put on or something?

Noooo... Audition inquiries should be submitted to: www.hot97.com

:-)

(nm)

aaah fuck, Cee played me. I feel even dirtier now.
pdidy 12:45 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Hard to believe people would actually stay a whole night of that DJ Juanyto mix. If I did this at my spot the bouncers, patrons and bar staff would probably tell me to shut the fuck up. What if you really like the song and want to dance? Or do people just lounge at these places?

Hard to believe ? wow......

Seriously, some of you djs must be living in a bubble or small town sheltered from the rest of the world.....lol

I guessing you dont travel much Esco... ?

But to answer your question, Heavy mic work in hiphop and Reggae clubs is expected for young crowds in certain regions. When done properly, it will produce incredible amounts of energy , excitement , hype and yes.....dancing through out the club also known as "crowd control" . Its a REQUIRE dj skill for my clientele young and old.
Jensen Määäm 1:25 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Link isnt avaliable in Mobile, is this the same vid

Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Fixed
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:31 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
dancing through out the club also known as "crowd control" . Its a REQUIRED dj skill for my clientele young and old.
When i STOP my record and yell on the Mic - they BETTER DAMN WELL STOP DANCING and hang on my every word unti I play 30 secs of the next song - I drive the bus - I AM IN CONTROL!

NYC cats are amazing... : )
DJ Remy USA 4:49 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
dancing through out the club also known as "crowd control" . Its a REQUIRED dj skill for my clientele young and old.
When i STOP my record and yell on the Mic - they BETTER DAMN WELL STOP DANCING and hang on my every word unti I play 30 secs of the next song - I drive the bus - I AM IN CONTROL!

when I had the chance to play in NYC I never touched the mic once and shut shit down. Culturally its accepted but Im not NY dude so I just used a lot of acapellas then drop the beat it worked almost as if I was on the mic.

I was at Sambucas but its more a urban latin spot
Jairen 4:49 PM - 25 June, 2013
Just listen to the mix. Lack of skills...Cover up the trainwrecks with the mic and don't even attempt to blend due to lack of skill.

Jazzy Jeff & Skillz would probably get boo'd in NYC...

Yelling on the mic over every song gets old fast. I don't care what bario or shout out he's yelling out.

I just want to hear this cat spin without a mic. Trainwreck city...
Rdent 6:13 PM - 25 June, 2013
outside of a dj perspective i still rather hear the dj mix instead of transitions with the mic.... once here and there is fine but not the whole night. it irritates me...... jazzy jeff the dude is nasty with it... almost as good as AM my personal fave
Joshua Carl 6:32 PM - 25 June, 2013
thats the first thing i think of when i think about mic work.
Jeff & Skillz

now, granted its 2 people so jeff can his thing on the decks, and Skillz can mess with the crowd, obviously not everyone has an ideal situation like this.
a MC who knows your style, respects your skillz and understands his role.

but as many as mentioned, in the rap spots this is NOT what they are expecting.
(notice i didnt say hiphop)
Ive done a few around here and had to adjust fire 4 tracks in...
BUT,,,, BUT..... BUT....
If radio put the mic down, shut off the samples and did it properly the people might start to realize whats good and whats garbage.

I call it slight of hand DJ'ing
look at all this wild shit, dudes on the mic, nekked girls on stage, bomb samples and car crashes, .....
but pay not mind to the abortion happening on the turntables.

one could argue if either way.
on one side of the coin, the spot your at dictates the style.... so if your a west coast smooth as butter mixer who doesent touch the mic you are gonna get eat up in the bronx, its like bringing a steak to a vegan festival...

On the other side, its our job as professionals to set the standard and show the people whats up? since when did we ever put any stock in the wack shit people want and expect in a show... there's an entire thread here about wack requests and shit!
but as long as radio keeps spilling this shit, people are gonna expect thats THAT IS WHATS UP! its very give me something obvious and in my face like a back spin + reggae horn and a "rewind that shit" on the mic and they lose their damn minds.
mean while DJ b is flippin an acapella with a different instrumental under each verse on a classic.... and people stand there.... why isnt he yelling????????
 6 6:33 PM - 25 June, 2013
" I call it slight of hand DJ'ing
look at all this wild shit, dudes on the mic, nekked girls on stage, bomb samples and car crashes, .....
but pay not mind to the abortion happening on the turntables."

hahaha. I agree 100%

nm
pdidy 6:34 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

There will always be regional and cultural differences that people from other places will never understand. But when you are part of that culture it appears absolutely normal......

For example, DJ Art Pumpin Payne....you're from Detroit so you may be alot more familar with Jit music and dancing then a NYC cat like me
Watchwww.youtube.com Ok, WTF was that ?

Dj Godfather is a big deal in Detroit and got mad skills but he would get booed if he tried this here in NYC and many other places. (other than Detroit an the Chi).
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne, alot of poeple would hate that music but does that mean its trash ?

Or maybe its good music and THEY just dont understand Detroit music and culture ????.

Some people are so closed minded they refuse to understand our differences...........
pdidy 6:52 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
so if your a west coast smooth as butter mixer who doesent touch the mic you are gonna get eat up in the bronx, its like bringing a steak to a vegan festival...

Its a very simple concept, Im amazed so many people do get it.......lol
 6 7:03 PM - 25 June, 2013
The good thing is that yelling on the mic and dropping the songs wherever the hell you want is a skill that takes 5 minutes to learn. So, any cat from the West Coast should be able to do a gig in the East Coast.

Now... for an East Coast cat to learn butter mixer skills to be able to take gigs on the West Coast and succeed.... yeah..

nm
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:13 PM - 25 June, 2013
Ok - rewind - first - let's find a good Jit video - so they can see and feel what you are talking about... Watchwww.youtube.com

I do fully see/kinda understand the whole NY thing and it does truly amaze me. That Godfather clip is cool but we rarely play Ghettotech anymore. I like to joke about NYC style here on the forum because that whole stop the music and yell shit just amazes me. Radio dictates what happens in the clubs. Here in detroit - we have our share of Yappy - yell and shout out air personalities that talk a gang of shit BUT DJs here keep that shit rocking....

Here is what our radio remotes sound like on any given weekend. Watchwww.youtube.com - ratchet hood shit - straight up mainstream - no chasher

I can't scratch worth a shit - but I would put our WJLB DJ Don Q against ANY NYC Dj - contest over - he is a beast on the scratch and can still rock a party...

We still beatmix - no bomb explosions and stop the music - and people dance....
Rebelguy 7:17 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
The good thing is that yelling on the mic and dropping the songs wherever the hell you want is a skill that takes 5 minutes to learn. So, any cat from the West Coast should be able to do a gig in the East Coast.

Now... for an East Coast cat to learn butter mixer skills to be able to take gigs on the West Coast and succeed.... yeah..

nm

I've watched quite a few shows where East Coast DJs tried the "All Night On The Mic" style at a West Coast show. Most of the spots were cleared out by 12:30 AM and the promoters were trying to figure out where things went wrong.

nm
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:22 PM - 25 June, 2013
and yes in that video @1:35 - we do have chubby dancers that can barely climb the pole but our music is still on point - lol

youtu.be

Shout out to our chubby ghetto ballerinas!
Joshua Carl 7:31 PM - 25 June, 2013
If history in general has taught us anything is that just because its the standard practice and accepted by so many doesn't mean it's a good Idea.

Sometimes someone has to come along and break the existing mold.

Certainly not saying the NYC rap style of spinning isn't enjoyed by some. But most would agree its a pencil dive in the scheme of things.

You can use samples. You can get on the mic, u can do straight drops.
Problem is 90% of dudes aren't any sort of integrity to these skills.
They are used as a crutch/cover up... Rather than a tool to enhance.
Much like effects and Eqs
Joshua Carl 7:34 PM - 25 June, 2013
Not that I want to hear this foolishness, but I'm more inclined to give it a pass over these BASIC ableton mixshows I hear all the time!!
 6 9:06 PM - 25 June, 2013
" Shout out to our chubby ghetto ballerinas! " <--- that's funny shit right there. lol

nm
the_black_one 10:06 PM - 25 June, 2013
It can be a regional thing.. I get that... Still sucks Nm nh
pdidy 12:32 AM - 26 June, 2013
So Just to clear up some apparent misunderstandings on "NYC" style djing......there is basically 2 styles used.

Performance style: this style puts priority on hype and building energy. Good mic skills are required to carry this style because the dj no longer follows standard beat mixing techniques. The dj may drop or cut the music at any moment with no limitations. If done properly it will build energy in seconds, if not it will clear the floor.

Club style: All priority is placed on standard beat mixing, dropping and blending flawlessly. Mic work is secondary.

Quite often djs will combine these style in a club setting, flipping to Performance style whenever a burst in energy is wanted. If you are familiar with these styles, its easy to differentiate and understand the djs true intention. If you are unfamiliar with the styles, its understandable that you wont relate to it.

Now the soundcloud mix by DJ JUANYTO LIVE AT CLUB 28 is club style and its quite apparent he is lacking in Basic djing skills with all the off beat mixes and drops so no he doesn't get a pass regardless of his good mic skills. And NO he's not attempting to cover up his lack of dj skill with heavy mic use. He just cant mix ...Period.
pdidy 12:47 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

nm

I've watched quite a few shows where East Coast DJs tried the "All Night On The Mic" style at a West Coast show. Most of the spots were cleared out by 12:30 AM and the promoters were trying to figure out where things went wrong.

nm

Know your crowd and stay in your lane....Its simple, just shut up on the mic.... lol

But a west coast dj can not learn mic skills over night and work a hiphop/reggae gig in NYC, it takes years of practice to perfect djing and heavy mic work all at the same dam time.
djsmuve415 1:07 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:

^I famously remember about a decade ago they had Swizz Beatz out here in San Francisco for a guest spot on 106 KMEL doing a late night mix on a sat night - and this is when he was at his peak with all the DMX hits and all,,, and I swear he must've caught them off guard, cause he went into that whole screaming on the mic thing while slamming in & out of records - and all u kept hearing was KMEL using their drops like crazy cuz I'm sure they thought their listeners didnt know where the fuck they were for a while.. they ended up cutting him off, unbelievable. and I'm born & raised in NY - & I was embarrassed.
Esco... 1:50 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Seriously, some of you djs must be living in a bubble or small town sheltered from the rest of the world.....lol

But to answer your question, Heavy mic work in hiphop and Reggae clubs is expected for young crowds in certain regions. When done properly, it will produce incredible amounts of energy , excitement , hype and yes.....dancing through out the club also known as "crowd control" . Its a REQUIRE dj skill for my clientele young and old.

I don't travel much, and I am in a small town. But I've partied in Atlanta, smaller parts of GA, and Miami, and I'm gonna have to say yes it is a regional thing. I'm not knocking it, I just don't understand how you can be getting in your zone dancing with a girl to your favorite song, only to have the DJ backspin a song, get on the mic and drop something else.
pdidy 2:05 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't travel much, and I am in a small town. But I've partied in Atlanta, smaller parts of GA, and Miami, and I'm gonna have to say yes it is a regional thing. I'm not knocking it, I just don't understand how you can be getting in your zone dancing with a girl to your favorite song, only to have the DJ backspin a song, get on the mic and drop something else.

Trust me I get it, I can understand how a stop-talk-an go dj style can sound weird to most. But it works with the young crowd, not the grown an sexy crowd. Mature crowds want seamless mixing and much less mic work.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:28 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Mature crowds want seamless mixing and much less mic work.

So there is hope for New York????

lol
SpareChange 3:49 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

^I famously remember about a decade ago they had Swizz Beatz out here in San Francisco for a guest spot on 106 KMEL doing a late night mix on a sat night - and this is when he was at his peak with all the DMX hits and all,,, and I swear he must've caught them off guard, cause he went into that whole screaming on the mic thing while slamming in & out of records - and all u kept hearing was KMEL using their drops like crazy cuz I'm sure they thought their listeners didnt know where the fuck they were for a while.. they ended up cutting him off, unbelievable. and I'm born & raised in NY - & I was embarrassed.

If I remember correctly one time I saw him on tv (mtv i think) for some kind of dj show and when he saw they cut the camera to him he was pretending to do all these body tricks but you couldn't hear any of the audio from him.
the_black_one 1:25 PM - 26 June, 2013
Wow... Lets call it what it really is ....

Your " 'mic work" is really screaming on the mic.
Dj Nyce 1:56 PM - 26 June, 2013
hot 97 is over and it's all ebro's fault. emmis needs to do a top down and start from scratch. it's absolutely no reason that ebro, flex, cee and angie martinez is still there.

i remember when the slogan 'where hip-hop lives' used to give me chills...now the station is just painful.

also not all new yorkers like the watered down, skillless mixing happening on some stations and some clubs. there is actually a big demand from technical mixing.
DJ Remy USA 2:02 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
hot 97 is over and it's all ebro's fault. emmis needs to do a top down and start from scratch. it's absolutely no reason that ebro, flex, cee and angie martinez is still there.

i remember when the slogan 'where hip-hop lives' used to give me chills...now the station is just painful.

also not all new yorkers like the watered down, skillless mixing happening on some stations and some clubs. there is actually a big demand from technical mixing.

Exactly plenty of NY DJs putting it down with out all that mic screaming

DJ Danny S
DJ Jay Dahbi
DJ Yonny
DJ Flow
DJ Incrediboi

Just to name a few seen all of them live. Very little much work and way more mixing and scratching and the crowd rocked. That mic screaming is just screaming I understand its needed but its best served in small doses
4mydawgz 4:36 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:

Flex's shows on Hot 97 is a exactly that.... a show. it's meant to entertain listeners. not to hear great dj'n. He's an entertainer such as Bill O'Reilly or Howard Stern. You shouldn't take what Flex does on the radio as a DJ show. He's there to talk shit. Drop bombs. And agitate people. Mr. Cee's show and DJ Camillo's show are mostly DJ'n shows. But again they most talk because they are paid sponsors as well. I do think it's time for some new Blood in Hot 97, but who is really going to give up their seat. And what Station Executive is going to replace a show that's beating their competition. People mostly listen to the radio for the show, not the music. The same music gets played every day. But it's the show that people want. I listen to Cipha and Rosenberg in the morning. When they DJ, it sounds like crap, but then again it's not the reason I listen.
djaction 4:39 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
But a west coast dj can not learn mic skills over night and work a hiphop/reggae gig in NYC,

this is not true at all. i've seen west coast dj's rock NYC crowds with straight up blending and sick cuts/scratching. and NO MIC work.

a NYC DJ w/ just his mic work and trainwrecks is not rocking any crowd on the west coast.
djaction 4:39 PM - 26 June, 2013
^and I'm from NYC
4mydawgz 4:42 PM - 26 June, 2013
Anybody got videos of some west coast dj's doing work?
DJ DisGrace 4:47 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:

umm.... grogheads.com

www.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 5:30 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:

Seriously?
Jairen 5:50 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:

No mic work. No headphones.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Live on air. No Mic Work.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Wack Hot 97 wannabe dj's owned.
DJ Alkemy 5:53 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Of all the DJ's on the West Coast you could have linked.....
Jairen 5:57 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Of all the DJ's on the West Coast you could have linked.....

Just getting started...
pdidy 6:48 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
But a west coast dj can not learn mic skills over night and work a hiphop/reggae gig in NYC,

this is not true at all. i've seen west coast dj's rock NYC crowds with straight up blending and sick cuts/scratching. and NO MIC work.

a NYC DJ w/ just his mic work and trainwrecks is not rocking any crowd on the west coast.

Quote:
^and I'm from NYC

you no the saying, its not were ya from its were ya at.......

Anyway, your reply has nothing to do with my comment. If you reply in context to my comment I will be happy to debate the point........
 6 8:12 PM - 26 June, 2013
Contrary to popular belief, yelling on the mic isn't a DJ skill. It's an MC skill.
 6 8:14 PM - 26 June, 2013
"
you no the saying, its not were ya from its were ya at......."

Not only is Action FROM NY. He IS in NY.

nm
djaction 8:42 PM - 26 June, 2013
lol. I don't see the incessant need for NY cats to defend this nonsense. Video's up above posted of Jeff/Skillz rocking NYC w/out this buffoonery.
pdidy 9:49 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
lol. I don't see the incessant need for NY cats to defend this nonsense. Video's up above posted of Jeff/Skillz rocking NYC w/out this buffoonery.

I see you avoided the subject, smart move....
DJ LIL M 9:56 PM - 26 June, 2013
slammin tracks
Bay Wells 10:17 PM - 26 June, 2013
Watchwww.youtube.com
At least those other guys were using the turntables or the CDJs.. DJ Prostyle at Webstar Hall
pdidy 10:21 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

This is just a general statement with no meaningful point attached to it. The poster didn't specify under what circumstance this would happen so the statement is pretty much pointless and has no real merit.

If you put the wrong dj in the wrong club ANY dj can get booed regardless of their skill level, Promoters do this all the time.
Jairen 10:33 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
At least those other guys were using the turntables or the CDJs.. DJ Prostyle at Webstar Hall

Skill not found. Try again NYC.
Joshua Carl 10:37 PM - 26 June, 2013
webster hall on thursdays is a PRIME example of it.
I lasted 10 minutes in the room.

remember when a cd used to randomly jump track to track if it had a bad scratch.

if you had told me, there was a 15 track cd skipping around song to song at random, and the guy on the mic was expressing his anger constantly to the crowd, I would have said... ok, thats what I thought.... thats what it sounded like,

and people were NOT hype.
there was a ton of call and response (Day 1 basic shit...)
you get on the mic on New York at a hiphop night and start calling out Burroughs...
thats peas and carrots.

2000 people and I stood there looking at eachother trying to figure out WTF he was saying.... then u hear the opening chords from lean back.... cut off and onto and more screaming while everyone stood there.

this wasnt an opening move... this is the format.
but hey its no cover for the ladies, and they pack em in, so I guess they killing it, right?
Jairen 10:44 PM - 26 June, 2013
Yeah, these cats in NYC need to take a lesson from Spinbad and learn a thing or two and gain some skill. Just STFU and let the music speak. Take note of the video below...NO MIC.

Watchvimeo.com
pdidy 10:52 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

This is a good example of .....

Quote:
Performance style: this style puts priority on hype and building energy. Good mic skills are required to carry this style because the dj no longer follows standard beat mixing techniques. The dj may drop or cut the music at any moment with no limitations. If done properly it will build energy in seconds, if not it will clear the floor.

Alot of people who are not familiar with the style confuse it with club style djing and you would be wrong, its not the same. This is just a "hype the crowd set" NOT a club set were the music is mixed seamlessly.
pdidy 10:55 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
webster hall on thursdays is a PRIME example of it.
I lasted 10 minutes in the room.

remember when a cd used to randomly jump track to track if it had a bad scratch.

if you had told me, there was a 15 track cd skipping around song to song at random, and the guy on the mic was expressing his anger constantly to the crowd, I would have said... ok, thats what I thought.... thats what it sounded like,

and people were NOT hype.
there was a ton of call and response (Day 1 basic shit...)
you get on the mic on New York at a hiphop night and start calling out Burroughs...
thats peas and carrots.

2000 people and I stood there looking at eachother trying to figure out WTF he was saying.... then u hear the opening chords from lean back.... cut off and onto and more screaming while everyone stood there.

this wasnt an opening move... this is the format.
but hey its no cover for the ladies, and they pack em in, so I guess they killing it, right?

S who was the dj ?
pdidy 11:01 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Yeah, these cats in NYC need to take a lesson from Spinbad and learn a thing or two and gain some skill. Just STFU and let the music speak. Take note of the video below...NO MIC.

Watchvimeo.com

Spinbad is nice but this is a shitty video and example. You can do better.....lol
Joshua Carl 11:09 PM - 26 June, 2013
there was sooo many people on stage, and 2 set ups.
I honestly couldnt tell, I made my was 1/2 to the stage, and after hearing literally 1 song for that journey, thats when I turned around.
I was booked in the 2nd room and the other guy was spinning, so I went for a walk to check it out a few times, and this was the scene each time.

I kept thinking,...maybe I Keep coming in this room during the swap?

Quote:
This is just a "hype the crowd set" NOT a club set were the music is mixed seamlessly.
...or at all, or even a little.

i have to say, as a someone who has been around the country both as a performer and a patron I appreciate this is whats hot in alot of the parties in NYC, certainly not all.
I do Copia, Tonic, occasionally webster hall, Le souk and CRT and dont even plug a mic in and have no issues keeping a packed floor and smiling owners, as do my cohorts who reside at these spots.
Its not so much a hiphop thing.... as much as it is a sub-group within the community

Again though, I watch someone barbeque a burger and squeeze and flip the shit out of it, then serve it to a bunch of estatic barbeque people who love it, does NOT mean he knows how to cook some barbeque.
Theres a good chance those people just dont know what a good burger is like.
pdidy 11:22 PM - 26 June, 2013
webster hall is known to book free (whack) djs willing to play for nothing.
Did you get paid ?.....lol What room was it in ?
Joshua Carl 11:44 PM - 26 June, 2013
the 2nd room, right when you walk in the door.
(the main room opens at midnight'ish (if at all... the last time I was in NY I got a call the party was undersold, and they took over the room I was booked in)

I was paid, but it was nothing to write home about
pdidy 11:54 PM - 26 June, 2013
Knowning webster halls "Free guest dj" practices, I would suspect of using them as a
"PRIME example" if you see were im going here......
djaction 4:44 AM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I see you avoided the subject, smart move....

my point is a west coast cat can easily rock a NYC crowd just fine without ever touching the mic. the whole 'need to use the mic' thing is a crutch lazy unskilled ny dj's rely on when they either can't or don't want to learn how to blend and scratch.

Mic skills = MC'ing not DJ'ing.

Even the 'pillars' of hip-hop (if anyone even knows what they are anymore) point to a separation of DJ and MC ;)

Are there great DJ's that rock the mic, scratch, and blend? Absolutely.

What's more important.. fundamentals like blending+scratching or mic? It's up for debate in here obviously.. but to me the Mic thing just doesn't sound as good.
the_black_one 4:51 AM - 27 June, 2013
mic work is a BS term....

if you MUST scream on the MIc to rock a party then ................
DJRemixEnt 6:56 PM - 27 June, 2013
well NY Dj's aren't the only ones screaming like idiots...they do that shit in GA too---> youtu.be
DJRemixEnt 6:58 PM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:
well NY Dj's aren't the only ones screaming like idiots...they do that shit in GA too---> youtu.be

my bad i meant Florida.
Jairen 7:55 PM - 27 June, 2013
^dafuq was that?!?!
Steve E Wunda 8:47 PM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

I'm wondering who won the contest?
pdidy 3:56 AM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

NYC aint got shit on florida, they took that shit to another level.....lol
the_black_one 4:34 AM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

that was F*&^$^$%^ terrible!!!!
DJRemixEnt 4:44 AM - 28 June, 2013
them mofos had speakers for dayyyyyyyssssss! at least they got the sound right!...lol
DJRemixEnt 4:51 AM - 28 June, 2013
the_black_one 4:54 AM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
them mofos had speakers for dayyyyyyyssssss! at least they got the sound right!...lol

NO shit!!!!! all that horrible noise heard for miles!!!
the_black_one 4:56 AM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
youtu.be

O_o
DJ GaFFle 1:47 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

That's Florida dude... especially Dade County. They been doing that style since the 80's and Jam Pony DJs. (look them up) They are dead up all into the tracks with the lyrics. I think it's kind of impressive if they're not laying too hard into the music with their own MC'ing lyrics.

(nm)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:53 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
That's Florida dude... especially Dade County. They been doing that style since the 80's and Jam Pony DJs. (look them up) They are dead up all into the tracks with the lyrics. I think it's kind of impressive if they're not laying too hard into the music with their own MC'ing lyrics.

+1 - At least they don't stop the music and the groove and ARE on beat when they yell on the Mic.

This was a huge record back in the day: Watchwww.youtube.com

Women could still shake ass without missing a beat - much better than the NYC style.
DJ Remy USA 3:57 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

Dont get me started on my experience in Savannah GA
CMOS 4:59 PM - 28 June, 2013
Im not defending it.

But you guys are posting the wackest examples of played out clubs that cater to the bridge and tunnel crowd and a radio station that hip hop heads gave up on a long time ago.

These are the "we are on the radio come to see the person you listen to on your drive home parties".

This shit doesn't fly in most NYC places. Hell most NYC spots that are good don't even have names on the door, nevermind radio DJs.

You want to see good nyc DJs go to Catch, Goldbar, the darby, 1oak, The Dalton, etc etc etc. You probably wont even get in, but that's where the real shit goes down.

Not fuckin Webster hall, eww thas just wack. There are many many sides to the NYC club scene. You guys are harping on a teeny tiny lil porton. These vids are all over the place on the web because they are radio guys, doing radio events where they shout out the station name every other song.

This shit doesn't fly in real spots. I wish we could take some of you with the worst opinions around and show you the real, because even if you visit here you wont get to see it without someone bringing you there.
 6 5:59 PM - 28 June, 2013
Well I would take a tour if you give it... But didn't you just say we won't be able to get in? lol

nm
CMOS 6:04 PM - 28 June, 2013
4mydawgz 6:25 PM - 28 June, 2013
I went to a lounge last night. Both DJ's had the crowd rockin and spoke very little on the mic. I go there often, but I guess this is the first time I noticed that. Every other club, it's none stop talking.
SELECT 6:42 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Im not defending it.

But you guys are posting the wackest examples of played out clubs that cater to the bridge and tunnel crowd and a radio station that hip hop heads gave up on a long time ago.

These are the "we are on the radio come to see the person you listen to on your drive home parties".

This shit doesn't fly in most NYC places. Hell most NYC spots that are good don't even have names on the door, nevermind radio DJs.

You want to see good nyc DJs go to Catch, Goldbar, the darby, 1oak, The Dalton, etc etc etc. You probably wont even get in, but that's where the real shit goes down.

Not fuckin Webster hall, eww thas just wack. There are many many sides to the NYC club scene. You guys are harping on a teeny tiny lil porton. These vids are all over the place on the web because they are radio guys, doing radio events where they shout out the station name every other song.

This shit doesn't fly in real spots. I wish we could take some of you with the worst opinions around and show you the real, because even if you visit here you wont get to see it without someone bringing you there.

+100

Most clubs Ive been too in NY have been really on point. Straight mixing and literally no mic work. Im always inspired by most DJs there. 6 hours shifts and killen em at the end. Covering all genres, literally. There is so much variety in NY. No where else Ive been to in the US gets down like NY, east to west! There is something for everybody! This shit your seeing here from hot 97 can happen anywhere and it does. Its not just a NY thing. Your just showing one side of a scene there. I can show you hundreds of Dancehall DJs in Boston doing the same thing. Is that how everyone out here plays? Fuck outta here. Im not defending them hot 97 guys either, it just works for their demographic.

You want the type of DJ you west coast guys like, check out the mix shows from 92.3 in NY. DJ Yonny and those guys be killen em!

I used to love Webster Hall back in the early 2000's. I partied there a lot including a couple of times on new years. First floor was 80's, basement was hip hop, upstairs, dance and the side rooms above latin and top 40. Not one bad DJ either. I dont know when they started letting these hot 97 guys come in. Things done changed in there. They used to be extremely selective.
djkurve 8:16 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
I'm more inclined to give it a pass over these BASIC ableton mixshows I hear all the time!!

AMEN!

youtu.be
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:23 PM - 29 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

my bad i meant Florida.

(nm)

I remember hearing Jam Pony for the first time in 87 when I was in the military. My roommate and the rest of the crew from The Bottom (Miami) had all the tapes. At first I was like what is this BS, but as I began to listen more...they were actually nice with it.