Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ cracking noise

REMIXDJDEE 6:58 PM - 19 June, 2013
I have a Pioneer ddj sx and a dell xps m1710 (4g ram 80g hard drive Duo core) laptop was working find until last week....I turn on everything and started to dj..then i started to hear this cracking poping sound... can anyone tell me what that it and how to fix
REMIXDJDEE 5:26 PM - 22 June, 2013
I did that but didnt fix it
deejdave 10:22 PM - 22 June, 2013
Macbook Pro
dvsprodj 7:54 AM - 24 June, 2013
is your operating system is running on a 64bit? or in 32 bit? some says it has problems when your running on a 64 bit..
REMIXDJDEE 3:35 PM - 25 June, 2013
sunnyred 4:50 PM - 25 June, 2013
Im using Win7 32 bit system and recently update to serato DJ too and when mixing live the sound is "wavy" like a wobly vinyl.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:56 PM - 25 June, 2013
Open serato dj then plugin the sx from starting the laptop. That has worked for a couple djs i know with same issues. Not evertime that works so they have to keep rebootimg laptop and opening sdj letting it fully load then plug in sx. Very strange issue.
dvsprodj 5:45 PM - 14 July, 2013
some audios have that cracking sound when i play it on the ddj sx but when i play that same audio at my SL2 there's no cracking sound. Pitching it up or pitching it down makes the cracking sound much worse on the ddj sx but if you disable the master tempo of that same file, the cracking sound is gone
dvsprodj 6:54 AM - 5 September, 2013
My Cracking sound issue is resolve all i did was convert my audio files to a higher bit rate standard is 128 bit rate or higher and it work well for me!
dvsprodj 7:24 AM - 9 September, 2013
try it at 128. are your master tempo on? or off? try playing it in master tempo off
Carlo_Dj 1:03 PM - 10 September, 2013
Do have any antivirus software installed?

If so disable or uninstall.
_simon 12:58 PM - 8 October, 2013
I had the same problem with crackling, but I have only wav and aiff (1411.2 kbps), so bitrate could not be the issue.
I found out the problem solved itself when I increased the USB buffer size from 1 ms to 2 ms.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:03 AM - 17 October, 2013
Hey Remixdjdee,

Thanks for getting in touch,
I recommend you start a help thread so our support crew can help you resolve these issues.
-- Here is a link --> serato.com

BeatWiz 11:57 PM - 2 November, 2013
Was working offline in Serato DJ 1.5.1 to go over some music and noticed that some songs had a very bad crackling noise. Listened to them with Windows Media player and they play just fine. It's Serato DJ that causes the crackling noise. Only some of my songs had that noise. I know for sure these songs were fine in 1.3 and possible even in 1.5. Now suddenly they sound like crap.

Read the forums, could not find any good solution.

Finally I decided to try to re-analyze the songs. So far, it has worked - I unchecked "Set Beatgrid" and "BPM" - just re-analyzed the song. Crackling song is gone!

If Serato made some change forcing us to re-analyze all songs after a upgrade then I could buy it. But that just some songs gets messed up is disturbing.
DjK DjK 3:57 PM - 9 January, 2014
I have the same problem, i webt 2 the store were i bougt my sx, in the store there wasnt any problem... I changed my buffersize up to 2ms, know its away. Im using a macbook and the latest maverick and serato dj software, hope it's goan!
_simon 4:42 AM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
I have the same problem, i webt 2 the store were i bougt my sx, in the store there wasnt any problem... I changed my buffersize up to 2ms, know its away. Im using a macbook and the latest maverick and serato dj software, hope it's goan!

Same here. Upped to 2ms. Problem solved. Can't notice much difference in delay anyway.
DJAlexStream 4:49 PM - 12 January, 2014
I have had the same problem, bad crackling after I upgraded to Serato DJ 1.51. I actually downgraded to 1.3 which is what I had previously and the crackling disappeared. Did it mid-set too last night because the crackling was so bad, lol (changed to a CD meanwhile).
_simon 5:09 PM - 12 January, 2014
Quote:
I have had the same problem, bad crackling after I upgraded to Serato DJ 1.51. I actually downgraded to 1.3 which is what I had previously and the crackling disappeared. Did it mid-set too last night because the crackling was so bad, lol (changed to a CD meanwhile).

How long delay do you have?
DJAlexStream 5:22 PM - 12 January, 2014
Quote:

How long delay do you have?

Do you mean the latency? On the 1.3 software I have it set to the lowest setting, not sure what it was on the 1.5 version as I didn't check before I replaced it last night.
_simon 6:33 PM - 13 January, 2014
Quote:
Do you mean the latency?
Yes, meant latency :)
illmike 8:13 PM - 30 January, 2014
Same here.

Today bought a brandnew MBP 15" same issue with the lowest latency.

Currently playing on 2ms without the problem.
CatalystNZ 3:59 AM - 11 August, 2015
Check that you aren't getting into the red in the gain on Serato DJ. The Auto Gain feature sometimes gets it wrong...
_simon 4:37 AM - 11 August, 2015
You guys shoud check these out and see if it helps :)

PC:
support.serato.com

MAC:
support.serato.com
DjSyndic8 3:57 AM - 12 August, 2015
Quote:
Check that you aren't getting into the red in the gain on Serato DJ. The Auto Gain feature sometimes gets it wrong...

Serato Dj Auto Gain still not right
JungleG 6:15 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
You guys shoud check these out and see if it helps :)

PC:
support.serato.com

MAC:
support.serato.com

I've been working on this issue since July; please read thoroughly, maybe my findings can be useful.
First consider I have implanted all of Serato's recommendations and still getting the noise.
Also consider my computer is a bomb - CPU usage remains very low all the time. It's all SSD drives. Using Windows 8.1 on an Asus Zenbook.

The problem of popcorn crackling noise starts when I turn on Serato Video. Before sound is perfect. After I start Serato video, even though I play only mp3s - no video files - the noise starts. If I stop Serato Video the noise will continue. The only way to get rid of it is to exit SDJ and start it again, and never turn on Serato Video.

Furthermore, this problem is only when I use my Pioneer setup. I have 2 setup:
Setup 1: Newmark NS6 - there is no noise, no problem in this configuration.
Setup 2: Pioneer DJM-900nxs with 2 x XDJ-1000 - it's the problematic configuration, which is annoying as it is my typical live performance environment.

Finally, the problem is not exclusive to Serato. I tried VDJ8 and it exhibits the same problem as Serato with the Pioneer setup, and no problem with the Numark setup.

I opened a support ticket with Serato on this issue. Serato has closed the support ticket because I did not respond fast enough :/ I'm working hard on trying to solve this, and I will report when/if I find new pertinent information.

I really wish to solve this ASAP.
If anybody has insight, please share.
djmikeymike01 11:06 AM - 26 May, 2016
I have the same issue. I just installed to a new laptop. My old laptop was much lower quality and I had no problems on it.
I put in all the newest drivers for everything, it's a monster laptop suitable for 3d modeling. My previous laptop that isn't even half as powerful handles everything perfectly.

What I found is that the pops go away when I turn off the master tempo button on my Pioneer DDJ-sx2. But that's something I tend to always use so that micro adjustments can't be heard while mixing, sometimes I'll cue things live and with that on, people don't notice the corrections.
Has anyone figured out the master tempo glitch, that's the only time I get these pops, I'm not redlining anywhere, 32gb of memory (beast of a machine), anti-virus off, etc..
DjSyndic8 11:10 AM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:
I have the same issue. I just installed to a new laptop. My old laptop was much lower quality and I had no problems on it.
I put in all the newest drivers for everything, it's a monster laptop suitable for 3d modeling. My previous laptop that isn't even half as powerful handles everything perfectly.

What I found is that the pops go away when I turn off the master tempo button on my Pioneer DDJ-sx2. But that's something I tend to always use so that micro adjustments can't be heard while mixing, sometimes I'll cue things live and with that on, people don't notice the corrections.
Has anyone figured out the master tempo glitch, that's the only time I get these pops, I'm not redlining anywhere, 32gb of memory (beast of a machine), anti-virus off, etc..

Im running mac book pro 2012 16gb ram i7 2.6ghz with ddjsx2 with no issue osx 1.8
djmikeymike01 1:02 PM - 26 May, 2016
I forgot to mention, I'm on Windows 7 pro, 64 bit now. I7 processor, 32gb ram, all solid state drives.
I'm guessing the newest version of Serato DJ has this problem.

My old laptop was a crappy toshiba, only 4gb of ram, 5200rpm hard drives, and was running version 1.3 perfectly fine without the same pops while using the master tempo / keylock.
I'll try a few more options and if they don't work, then I guess that's how we get pushed into buying the pitch n time to be able to have good quality sound using the key lock. As much as we pay for equipment, $30 isn't a big deal but still kinda crappy if that's what needs to be done
DjSyndic8 8:41 PM - 26 May, 2016
Quote:
I forgot to mention, I'm on Windows 7 pro, 64 bit now. I7 processor, 32gb ram, all solid state drives.

My old laptop was a crappy toshiba, only 4gb of ram, 5200rpm hard drives, and was running version 1.3 perfectly fine without the same pops while using the master tempo / keylock.
I'll try a few more options and if they don't work, then I guess that's how we get pushed into buying the pitch n time to be able to have good quality sound using the key lock. As much as we pay for equipment, $30 isn't a big deal but still kinda crappy if that's what needs to be done

have you ever though of Hackintoshing your laptop that would be awsome :)
djmikeymike01 2:09 AM - 27 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

have you ever though of Hackintoshing your laptop that would be awsome :)

Nah, not messing with my $4000 professional laptop like that, lol. Still nuts that the newest serato doesn't want to do the key lock without popping unless we buy another add-on
jjfad027 2:56 AM - 27 May, 2016
I think this is the same problem I'm having. Everything sounds like it's going thru BitCrusher after like 20 min.
Dj Deekie 8:21 PM - 4 June, 2017
I have a DJ sx2 my Mac Pro is updated and everything I here this popping sound from my speakers while I'm DJing when my master tempo button is on but when I press the button and the light goes off there's no popping sound I like to use the tempo lock button for when I'm transitioning from songs at difffernt bpms can anyone help me