DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Throw back video "In Da Club" NYC Pre-Serato......

pdidy 7:39 AM - 14 June, 2013
I miss these days "late 90's - early 2000"
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ GaFFle 12:02 PM - 14 June, 2013
"Simon Says"... one of the hardest Hip Hops tracks ever. This is how I remember the Hip Hop club scene but unfortunately, this now seems so... back-in-da-day.
nik39 12:16 PM - 14 June, 2013
RR fan, huh?

I couldn't play with such a set (TT should be moved 90°, and mixer between the TT ;)) , at least not mix and scratch that quickly.
DJ ST 12:18 PM - 14 June, 2013
At least in here, in Finland, some of the patrons are growing tired of the EDM/club-sound and are, slowly but surely, beginning to embrace the sounds Rap and R'n'B from the late 90's/early 2000's.

Fistpumping is fun, at times, but at the end of the day, people wanna party, dance (I mean really DANCE and not just shuffle like idiots) and find a companion (for the night or longer).

Especially in this day and age, when every second "DJ" can download the freshest tracks of the Internet, there are those individuals who not just HAVE the older Rap/R'n'B-tracks, but also KNOW HOW to play them...
DJ GaFFle 12:50 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
...Fistpumping is fun, at times, but at the end of the day, people wanna party, dance (I mean really DANCE and not just shuffle like idiots)...

This is where the tracks made by people with some sort of soul/funk/flavor prevails.
lvmez 1:20 PM - 14 June, 2013
They were slamming tracks back then too.
Chrisjin 1:44 PM - 14 June, 2013
Damn, I wish I was old enough when the club scene was jumping like that to hip hop.
pdidy 3:06 PM - 14 June, 2013
One thing I hated......All the major clubs back then had the standard "house dj" setup with the knob mixers. Took me a while to get used to that shit.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:41 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
One thing I hated......All the major clubs back then had the standard "house dj" setup with the knob mixers. Took me a while to get used to that shit.

PREACH!

BTW, DJ Ace was DA MAN, on the radio back in the day...

On a REGULAR SETUP, that dude was holdin' down the NYC....
phatbob 12:37 PM - 15 June, 2013
I swear I had completely forgotten about the existence of that Kelis tune until I watched that video...

(Goes to dig in the crates)
DJ DisGrace 5:10 PM - 15 June, 2013
awww yeaaa, the original air raid siren!
pdidy 10:06 PM - 15 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

PREACH!

Ace is a friend of mine, we work in the same circles.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:16 PM - 15 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PREACH!

Ace is a friend of mine, we work in the same circles.

He was THE ABSOLUTE MAN on WBLS until one day he just ...

Disappeared....

He was the ONLY cat I ever heard play a jawn ON THE RADIO that I always play....
Joshua Carl 11:59 PM - 15 June, 2013
one of the biggest thing SSL brought (IMO)

no more suspended turntables!!!!!!
DJs rifled napkin's stock through the roof 84-2004
DJ Matty Stiles 6:15 AM - 16 June, 2013
back when DJing actually required talent
Thundercat 1:50 PM - 16 June, 2013
Nostalgia. Man how things have changed. Never liked cutting on a Bozak but you get used to it. It was either Bozak or MP24 at most places I played.
ninos 7:19 PM - 16 June, 2013
Damn that was a sick ass video, their musta been a killer vibe in that club!
djbeatsent 4:27 PM - 17 June, 2013
Quote:
back when DJing actually required talent

Good point. DJ'ing has become to easy with technology, that all it takes now is the money and half a brain/coordination. It's good and it's bad.
DeezNotes 5:50 PM - 17 June, 2013
Love this.
Cisco El Nino 6:05 PM - 17 June, 2013
dope vid, reminded me of the days when people could smoke inside clubs, and leave smelling like an ashtray. I was never a fan of those 19" rane mixers, esp the 2016 or like said above the bozak
Code:E 7:51 PM - 17 June, 2013
I hate that rane mixer he is using.
Swizzle 9:20 AM - 18 June, 2013
Good video..def brought back fond memories of when I moved to in NY/Jersey for a year for work '03-'04.

I recall club hopping one night to about 3 different clubs 4th of July or Labor Day (Can't remember). Each hip hop spot I walked in played the 1st part of Sheek Louch's- Mighty D Block atleast 4 times throughout the night.

As Ashanti would say, 'The crowd went Bananas!'

I absolutely hated hearing Jadakiss' raspy voice..."Everywhere we goooo-oh, people wanna knoooow."

Being from LA, I thought something was wrong with me for being the only cat in the club not going crazy over this track.

I'm not gonna lie, it was fun listening to DJ's and MC's drop new music.
DJ Sergio B 11:02 AM - 18 June, 2013
that Eve song had me open - then Jay bit happen - and I got rowdy - and my damn hands went UP!...this was OD for 6:55 am - Now I'm all ready to club ha...

but this was a sign of the times and the people - you can hear them rhyme with the MC - they knew more than the hook - it was more common than not that kats would be up on the newest drops - and if they weren't - they were ready and waiting for it. I know I can speak for other kats that have resident spots...when you play something new now and they look at you crazy! Then regulars request the song months later - and they're there all the time dancing to it! What are these kats listening to that they don't hear its the same song? lol

Its for the people at the end of the day. I'll have to keep playing that "give them what they want so you can give them what they need" tune til the people change or I make moves elsewhere thats down.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:20 PM - 18 June, 2013
The last of the great music & party days.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:27 PM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
The last of the great music & party days.

Sadly true.
stevie o 2:30 PM - 18 June, 2013
I used the rane mpd24 for years but installed the external fader accessory to my personal gig setup. That mixer was great. I don't know why I sold it. Could of used it forever in the studio rack.