DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

External Hard Drive for videos

charlee1985 3:51 PM - 13 June, 2013
My Laptop hard drive is basicly full :( So i want to move all my music videos to an external hard drive. My Laptop has USB2, eSATA and Firewire 1394

What type of hard drive you would suggest to get so i dont experience any latency problems? I am looking for a 1TB or bigger size.

DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:01 PM - 13 June, 2013
I personally would lean towards a bus powered FireWire drive (on my phone now - ill post reasons why later)
lvmez 8:41 PM - 13 June, 2013
Get two drives. One for backup and one for gigs(bus powered). Both firewire is you can afford it.

I use a G-Tech, 4Tb for master and G-Tech 750GB for gigs.
DJMark 9:33 PM - 13 June, 2013
I suggest you NOT use an external drive at all.

Assuming the system configuration in your profile is up-to-date, you can replace the 500gb drive you have now with up to a 1TB (assuming you need to stay with a standard-height 9.5mm laptop drive to fit in the available space). Soon a 9.5mm 1.5TB drive will be available from Hitachi.

USB2 connectivity is kind of marginal for videos, the "1394/firewire" ports on non-Mac laptops are non-bus-powered and in my experiences are sometimes not suitable for long-term reliable connectivity, and with eSATA you have no bus-powering available and the eSATA connectors/cables are not something I'd want to use when DJ-ing.

Plus with any external drive you're just adding more complications and possible failure points to your setup.

You may also want to look up if there's ways of connecting a second hard drive inside the computer in place of your optical drive, assuming you're not normally using the optical drive much. That's something quite a few Mac users, myself included, have been doing to avoid having to use external drives for DJ-ing.
Code:E 10:37 PM - 13 June, 2013
any bus powered drive scare me. I would hope you could deal with the extra hassle of plugging in a power cord. My vote is esata then firewire, but never USB 2.0.
DJMark 10:41 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
any bus powered drive scare me. I would hope you could deal with the extra hassle of plugging in a power cord. My vote is esata then firewire, but never USB 2.0.

You crazy.

I'd go bus-powered any day (if I had no other choice but to use an external drive). For one thing, if power gets cut for whatever reason, the computer's battery keeps the drive going. For another thing, power-supplies on external drives are a very common failure item.

Firewire bus-power on a Mac is robust and reliable. Unfortunately the smaller Firewire/1394 ports found on Windows laptops are never bus-powered.
Code:E 10:50 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
For one thing, if power gets cut for whatever reason, the computer's battery keeps the drive going. For another thing, power-supplies on external drives are a very common failure item.

Very good points for.
Quote:
Firewire bus-power on a Mac is robust and reliable. Unfortunately the smaller Firewire/1394 ports found on Windows laptops are never bus-powered.

Another very good point if you on a mac.

From personal experience. And based off my own setup. The computer doesn't need to have all that extra draw on its power supply. Its is much happier when it is not required to power a HD and 3 MIDI controllers and a SL Box.

I did run into issues when i was using a PC laptop with 2 many things trying to be powered off of the computer (why we use powered USB hubs). I have not had that issue since moving to a MAC. But I still make it a rule to not. My Mac runs super hot (80-89 degC) when I'm doing a video show. I'm also driving the hell out of my video card and both internal HDs plus when I do a video show I can have up to 6 Midi controllers (cdjs included there) and I'm running a wifi network (adhoc) so wifi is also going and drawing power. So thats why anything that can power it self I let it do so.
slimmjimm 10:59 PM - 13 June, 2013
I use firewire when Im gigging on my MBP, but I have also used usb (bus powered only) when I'm hooking into a PC running VDJ. I should probably stop continuing to do that. Thanks for the reminder that I could use another HD.
VJ Justin Allen 11:11 PM - 13 June, 2013
I have 4 G-Tech 2 TB drives that I use, and have for years, with no issues. They are not bus powered however I being a small UPS with me that gives me 20 minutes of power in case anything fails as well as a power filter and surge protection. I plug my laptop and drive into this.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:20 AM - 14 June, 2013
DJ Mark made a good point - he looked at his profile and sees he's using Windows:

Dell studio 1558
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
8GB RAM, 500GB Hard Disk

So all the Mac-centric advice like Thunderbolt won't help him much... Many of who posted assumed you were using a Mac.

maybe create a new thread and specify External Hard Drive for videos with my Windows 7 laptop.

Code:e made a good point with his old Windows computer:
Quote:
I did run into issues when i was using a PC laptop with 2 many things trying to be powered off of the computer (why we use powered USB hubs). I have not had that issue since moving to a MAC. But I still make it a rule to not.
Code:E 3:03 AM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
I use a thunderbolt drive and it runs really great. Just as fast an when I had data on my internal hitachi.

Lacie Rugged 1tb thunderbolt drive.

How are you doing video? Are you connecting an adaptor to the out port on the thunderbolt drive or do you have a retina with 2 thunderbolt ports.
nik39 12:18 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
I suggest you NOT use an external drive at all.

Assuming the system configuration in your profile is up-to-date, you can replace the 500gb drive you have now with up to a 1TB (assuming you need to stay with a standard-height 9.5mm laptop drive to fit in the available space). Soon a 9.5mm 1.5TB drive will be available from Hitachi.

REplace your internal drive to a bigger one or replace your CD drive with a drive bay - they are available for Dell laptops too!

I went from an external to second internal, never regretted it!
charlee1985 9:21 AM - 19 June, 2013
I might change my internal hard drive in the future, but it will be to much hustle right now to install all my programs and windows from start.

Where I play, they have a UPS installed so i wouldn't have problems with power cuts.

I had a quick look around and its not possible to replace the dvd drive for the model i have :(

So if i was gonna get one with external power supply which would be more stable and fast to use?

Any of you guys use one that is not bus powered?
nik39 4:17 PM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:
I had a quick look around and its not possible to replace the dvd drive for the model i have

Watchwww.youtube.com

Stay away from external drives, really!
the_black_one 6:24 PM - 19 June, 2013
i used externals for about 3 years with out a problem. I recently put a second drive in my MBP and love not having to plug and unplug.
Funkytownstopsix 3:19 AM - 20 June, 2013
I have used externals from day one of the serato video stage. I purchased the cases and added WD drives. I use firewire 800 and on PC I use USB 3.0 to firewire adaptor,,,, usb 3.0 faster than 800. My cases are usb 2.0 so next case will have 3.0. My HP has an extra bay already built in so I can add an internal as big as they make. On the mac I would have to do the optical. maybe one day... but for now I have two 2tb(1 is back up to the other) and one 6tb external... 6tb has all genera's of video so I can stay under 2tb I have been happy so far. FYI although I wouldn't recommend it you can us usb 2.0 and run video I have done it a few times with no major issues.
 6 4:25 PM - 20 June, 2013
8 years using strictly externals for audio initially then video over USB, FireWire 400 and 800 and I never had a single issue.

Just recently switched to a second internal drive. Honestly, besides the convenience of not having to plug something external, I don't see a problem with using either.

It's just preference really. A hard drive will fail if it's internal or not.

nm
Joshua Carl 5:24 PM - 20 June, 2013
Ive run the gammit, a few years on PC running USB 2.0 both Powered and not
even went as far as the FW800 Expresscard Slot adapter

on Mac for the last few years running a Go Flex Pro 1.5 tb FW800 has been amazing.
I only have 1 complaint... Well 2.
HEAT.
Its all Plastic with no REAL heat sink (or fan obviously)
so a few nights were I started at 8-9pm around 130 I start getting a little "less than smooth" scrolling in the library
and if i force the issue I will end up with a drop out.

Ive adjusted fire by keeping a little fan in my car.
but thats major drawback of using a tiny little drive
For me, I play anything at a moments notice, and while I dont need 4TB
1-2TB has been pretty Ideal. Ive been making monthly delete sweeps that being me down to 1.3 - 1.4 tb capacity.

I bought a Gdrive 2TB
but everytime I try to copy my entire library to it I get error messages/
and i know its THAT drive because I copy to my back ups all the time
(I might have got a bad egg from Gdrive)
charlee1985 3:09 PM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I had a quick look around and its not possible to replace the dvd drive for the model i have

Watchwww.youtube.com

Stay away from external drives, really!

I guess youtube is more helpfull than google nowdays! lol

I dont have a problem with gettin a external powered hard drive, since i will be leaving it at the club and i wont be carrying it around.

I dont have USB3 so might go for a Firewire 1 since its faster
Dj Nyce 2:14 PM - 26 June, 2013
i use bus powered fw all the time no problem. i also have a 2nd drive in my macbook pro.

www.oyendigital.com
DJ Tracktion 8:32 PM - 23 May, 2014
Need suggestions or any new advice on drives.

Just upgraded my mac to a 15" retina mbp. 2 thunderbolt and 2 usb3 drives.

I'm looking at this drive www.wd.com but can't find anywhere the speed of the drive.

Am I right to think "What is the point of connecting via thunderbolt if the drive is only 54000rpm?" Basically who cares how fast it can be transferred if it can't be found or get off the drive that fast....or do I have no idea what i'm talking about? (totally possible...and prob more likely lol)

I've used 7200rpm g drives and 5400rpm WD drives both 2TB and both connected via firewire800 and I can notice the difference. The WD sometimes is slow to fully load the video on to the deck, especially when using instant doubles.

I love the portability of the drive i'm currently using (www.wd.com) but, although, I can't find the info anywhere, (very suspect to me that it isn't listed anywhere on their site or in the product .pdf and they make it damn near impossible to actually ask them) I'm pretty positive it's a 5400rpm drive and I'm out growing 2TB drives. (Joshua Carl idk how you stay under it lol. I'm constantly going through and deleting stuff but keeping up with the new stuff too seems to cancel out my progress).

So really my question is what's the best option if i need a bunch of space (3-4tb), performance for videos and portability. (and usb3 or thunderbolt connectivity)

I rather stay bus powered because I've had more then one bad experience with a power cord coming unplugged butttttt...if it's the best alternative then I can live with it.
Papa Midnight 8:44 PM - 23 May, 2014
eSATA.

Slower than USB 3.0, admittedly, but significantly more reliable than both USB and FireWire (with the added benefit of not needing to share the bus in the case of USB).

You also lose the choice of bus power (granted, if you're looking at 4TB drives, you're beyond the point of 5V/1A-2.1A anyway) but if these are your options, this is what I would suggest.

Hell, why stop there? I'm actually going to suggest you get an external RAID enclosure that supports 2 drives and can configure it's own RAID without the need for a separate software or hardware controller. Then place in two 7200RPM drives of at least 2TB (the drives MUST match), configure them in RAID0, and go to work.
Joee 9:13 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Need suggestions or any new advice on drives.

eshop.macsales.com

eshop.macsales.com

eshop.macsales.com
Papa Midnight 9:47 PM - 23 May, 2014
Code:E 1:25 AM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
eSATA.

Slower than USB 3.0, admittedly, but significantly more reliable than both USB and FireWire (with the added benefit of not needing to share the bus in the case of USB).

+1 also dont forget about THunderbolt!

Quote:
So really my question is what's the best option if i need a bunch of space (3-4tb), performance for videos and portability. (and usb3 or thunderbolt connectivity)

www.lacie.com
I Use this one ist amazing
lvmez 3:15 AM - 24 May, 2014
I use the same one Code:E and have had no issues.
DJ Tracktion 6:17 AM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:

www.lacie.com
I Use this one ist amazing

Quote:
I use the same one Code:E and have had no issues.

No noticeable lag or delay in loading from the 5400rpm drive? (still only 2tb though....I'm working on condensing my library but getting to 1.75, 1.5 might not be achievable)

Still only 2TB...

Quote:
Hell, why stop there? I'm actually going to suggest you get an external RAID enclosure that supports 2 drives and can configure it's own RAID without the need for a separate software or hardware controller. Then place in two 7200RPM drives of at least 2TB (the drives MUST match), configure them in RAID0, and go to work.

Might be outside my scope of tech ability...but maybe not.

Quote:
eSATA.

No eSata port on the mbp...unless i'm missing something.
Jumbo Boogie 12:48 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
eSATA.

You also lose the choice of bus power (granted, if you're looking at 4TB drives, you're beyond the point of 5V/1A-2.1A anyway) but if these are your options, this is what I would suggest.

Is RAID safe and reliable for DJ/VDJ?

I've also read somewhere that the newer 1+TB HDD's with 5400RPM use smaller platter's then 7200's. Those smaller platters allow it to have access times similar to 7200's..is that true?
Code:E 7:09 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
No noticeable lag or delay in loading from the 5400rpm drive? (still only 2tb though....I'm working on condensing my library but getting to 1.75, 1.5 might not be achievable)

Zero. I use that drive with my 2013 MBPr, and its just as fast as my 2011 17" MBP with an opt bay and 2 internal hard drives.

Quote:

I have run a raid in the past when I used to bring a town computer to DJ with. It worked fine for me. I have 4 drives, 2 running together as one and 2 more for backup.
Papa Midnight 7:52 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:

No less safe than running any other specific single external drive and having a risk of failure.

It also depends on what RAID setting you go with. With two drives, you're limited to JBOD, RAID0, or RAID1. RAID0 would be the optimal setting for speed and maximum storage capacity. RAID1 would offer speed (depending on the hardware controller), and redundancy (if one drive fails, the other contains a mirror of all the data).
nik39 7:55 PM - 24 May, 2014
Jbod and/or raid 0 obviously doubles the probability
of something going wrong...! Since of any of the twodrives fail, yyou're lost.
DJMark 9:50 PM - 24 May, 2014
How exactly is someone with a Retina MacBook Pro supposed to use an eSATA enclosure? Even on the older MBP's only the 17" allowed use of an Expresscard to eSATA adapter, and my experience with that connectivity was that it's significantly LESS reliable than USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt. I used a couple different adapters for that purpose, and had quite a lot of experiences of drives "disappearing" (dismounting) for no apparent reason.

Thunderbolt would be the best choice for external drives with newer MBP's.
Papa Midnight 10:33 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
Jbod and/or raid 0 obviously doubles the probability
of something going wrong...! Since of any of the twodrives fail, yyou're lost.

Which has relatively the same probability of one singular external drive failing. One way or another, the data is lost in that environment (though I would hope that DJs are backing up their drives regularly). If people were that concerned, I suspect every DJ here wouldn't leave the house with anything less than RAID1.
nik39 11:28 PM - 24 May, 2014
I don't understand. How can one drive failing have the same probability as one of two drives failing?
Papa Midnight 2:34 AM - 25 May, 2014
The probability of two hard drives failing at the same time in a RAID array is extremely unlikely. The probability of one drive failing in a RAID array, however, is no higher than the probability of a single drive failing on it's own.

That said, if one drive fails in a RAID0 array, you're screwed.

If you're out with one external HDD and it fails, you're screwed.

Either way, you're going to have a bad time.
Code:E 3:30 AM - 25 May, 2014
Quote:
Thunderbolt would be the best choice for external drives with newer MBP's.

+1
nik39 10:40 AM - 26 May, 2014
Quote:
The probability of one drive failing in a RAID array, however, is no higher than the probability of a single drive failing on it's own.

Hey Papa Midnight,

do you mean

a. one particular drive failing has the same probability as that single drive failing on it's own? or
b. any drive failing has the same probability of a single drive failing on it's own?
DJ506 5:47 PM - 26 May, 2014
~ I use...

www.lacie.com

for my Videos, with no trouble. :)
Papa Midnight 7:11 PM - 27 May, 2014
To clarify for practically purposes, I was referring to the latter. While it is granted that as more devices become present, the chances of failure is actually increased (i.e.: if 1 drive has a 1 in 100,000 chance of failing, then 2 drives have a 2 in 100,000 chance of failing, 3 drives have a 3 in 100,000, 4 have a 4 in 100,000 chance, and so on), it is not likely that either drive, on their own - negating manufacturer defect - have a higher chance of failing while in an array, than a singular external drive. Granted, math majors would probably slap me silly for this - real-world scenarios are what I am using in my example.
nik39 7:34 PM - 27 May, 2014
Exactly. For those interested in the maths...

answers.yahoo.com <- click
nik39 7:34 PM - 27 May, 2014
(With exactly I meant you were right on spot with your explanation)
CMOS 8:25 PM - 27 May, 2014
Always go Raid1 or higher. Get two 4tb drives and use raid1 instead of two 2tb drives with raid0. Might cost a bit more up front but don't take chances with your data.

Are you video guys at a point where 1-4tb drive isn't enough? Are you almost at the point of bringing NAS drives?

I have this lil guy from Synology as my home NAS, this thing kicks assssssssssss with all of the plugins available for it.

www.synology.com

These are all the plugins available for the NAS:

www.synology.com
nik39 9:08 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
Always go Raid1 or higher. Get two 4tb drives and use raid1 instead of two 2tb drives with raid0. Might cost a bit more up front but don't take chances with your data.

+1

But there ain't no internal drives bigger than 2TB :(

Quote:
Are you video guys at a point where 1-4tb drive isn't enough? Are you almost at the point of bringing NAS drives?

Yes/no.

Bringing NAS drives? Hell naw!
DJ Tracktion 6:41 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:

Yes/no also. 4tb will prob suffice for me for a while but i'm also dedicatin a tremendous amount of time to the tedious task of shrinking my gig drive down to about 2TB. That's my magic number I'd like to be under...

Eliminating doubles, triples, quadruples of tracks...intro's and remixes I've never used..anything with "hype" in the title lol...Really want to combine my video and mp3 drives and always work off one drive so maybe under 3TB and keep it at about 2.5 with space for new stuff would be ideal.

Actually on my way to Microcenter now to see about putting together my own 2tb/2tb raid drive. Maybe do 2 1.5tb drives and do a 3TB raid drive?..kinda force myself to consolidate.
dj jamalot 7:05 PM - 29 May, 2014
I just finished Backing up my 2 TB video drive like 14 hours over firewire 800 not familiar with these drives you guys are talking about... i've heard of Raid but NAS???
Joee 7:17 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
I just finished Backing up my 2 TB video drive like 14 hours over firewire 800 not familiar with these drives you guys are talking about... i've heard of Raid but NAS???

hell no, you should look into a Esata drive i back up 3TB's in 5 hours i use this
eshop.macsales.com

i think usb 3.0 is even faster, haven't tried it yet to really know
DJ DisGrace 7:22 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

hell no, you should look into a Esata drive i back up 3TB's in 5 hours i use this
eshop.macsales.com

Or just use SuperDuper with Smart Update!
dj jamalot 7:37 PM - 29 May, 2014
I'll look into that good info Joee...
Quote:

eshop.macsales.com
 6 7:41 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

eshop.macsales.com

Or just use SuperDuper with Smart Update!

This
Joee 7:53 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
Or just use SuperDuper with Smart Update

i never used it, is it faster than 5hours for 3tb's?
Papa Midnight 8:06 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:

Redundant Array of Independent Disk, colloquially known as RAID, is an array of drives designed to appear as one drive, and offers either performance, reliability, or a series of both across 2 or more drives.

NAS refers to Network-Aattached Storage - a storage server attached to the network - usually with no head (no monitor, keyboard, or mouse). It can be connected to using SAMBA, CIFS, FTP, or (my personal choice) iSCSI.
Papa Midnight 8:13 PM - 29 May, 2014
Also, considering that you were using Firewire 800, you were limited by the drive's own rotational speed and throughput. I'm wagering that, if it took you 14 hours, you were transferring at likely an average speed of around 132MB/s - which likely suggest a 7200RPM drive with some damn good bit density across the platters. Since you were transferring video, you likely had a decent sustained transfer.

Believe it or not, those speeds are damn good for a single consumer HDD and actually well above the norm.
DJ DisGrace 9:17 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes! I just backed up my 2TB in 38 mins over FW800. It only took that long because I just added 165 new videos. It also deletes files from your backup that were deleted from the main drive. It essentially makes a mirror image of your drive by only adding or deleting what is needed.
nik39 12:52 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Also, considering that you were using Firewire 800, you were limited by the drive's own rotational speed and throughput. I'm wagering that, if it took you 14 hours, you were transferring at likely an average speed of around 132MB/s - which likely suggest a 7200RPM drive with some damn good bit density across the platters. Since you were transferring video, you likely had a decent sustained transfer.

Correction:

FW 800 = 800mbps ~ 100MB/s. Current drives are able to give a sequential transferrate of 100MB/s easily. In this case FW 800 is the bottle neck :(

USB3 offers 5gbps ~ 625MB/s - this time your average drive will be the bottle neck (unless you're using a fast SSD ;) ).
nik39 1:06 AM - 30 May, 2014
This is a real life comparison of USB 2/3/TB/FW400-800

images.techhive.com
( Taken from www.macworld.com )
Code:E 1:07 AM - 30 May, 2014
I dont know if it was this thread where it was discussed, but someone was asking about 480GB SSDs and they didn't understand the whole formatting part and base 2 vs base 10. Well I have some understanding of this. But I have a question, I have a 512GB PCI-e SSD in my late 2013 MBPr and formatted it is 499.42 GB's. Why are some drives said to be "500GB" then format to 480 and some are "512GB" that format to 500gb's. Left me clarify my question is why are some drives built to 512 and some built to 500?
Code:E 1:08 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Correction:

FW 800 = 800mbps ~ 100MB/s. Current drives are able to give a sequential transferrate of 100MB/s easily. In this case FW 800 is the bottle neck :(

USB3 offers 5gbps ~ 625MB/s - this time your average drive will be the bottle neck (unless you're using a fast SSD ;) ).

Just for comparison purposes My PCI-e SSD tests at 700mb/s + for both read and write. Way faster than I expected it to test at.
Papa Midnight 1:49 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:

I stand corrected.

Quote:
why are some drives built to 512 and some built to 500?

This has been a contention point for YEARS.

www.cnet.com

Quote:
My PCI-e SSD tests at 700mb/s + for both read and write.

mSATAs? I've got two of those in RAID0. 1.1GB/s read and write. Blazing fast.
Code:E 2:03 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
My PCI-e SSD tests at 700mb/s + for both read and write.

mSATAs? I've got two of those in RAID0. 1.1GB/s read and write. Blazing fast.

No the new MacBook Pro Retina's have there SSD connected to a PCI-e 16x port. There is not a single SATA port anywhere on this mac. So its one drive doing 700mb's. I have a friend with the 1TB version and it does 850MB/s.
Papa Midnight 2:10 AM - 30 May, 2014
I have to admit, I had to look up what you were talking about as I don't own a MacBook Pro so I had no frame of reference.
This is what I was thinking of -> www.newegg.com

This, however, looks to be a Proprietary connector from Apple -> discussions.apple.com
Code:E 2:54 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
This, however, looks to be a Proprietary connector from Apple -> discussions.apple.com

for now it is. I hope thats changed.
DJ Tracktion 3:46 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:

Nas Is Like, Nas Is Like...

thats all i got :)
DJ Tracktion 3:56 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes! I just backed up my 2TB in 38 mins over FW800. It only took that long because I just added 165 new videos. It also deletes files from your backup that were deleted from the main drive. It essentially makes a mirror image of your drive by only adding or deleting what is needed.

I don't think it transferred 2TB of information in 38minutes....

Sounds more like It transferred 165 new videos and made any changes to the back up drive in 38minutes. The majority of the 2TB were already on the back-up drive....it just added what was different from your main drive.
DJ DisGrace 12:15 PM - 31 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it transferred 2TB of information in 38minutes....

Sounds more like It transferred 165 new videos and made any changes to the back up drive in 38minutes. The majority of the 2TB were already on the back-up drive....it just added what was different from your main drive.

Yes, that's exactly what it did. But it sounds like Joee is doing a complete backup at 5hrs. I can literally do a backup every time I update my library. It only takes 10-15 minutes. I doubt guys doing full 3TB backups are able to do so at regular intervals.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:23 PM - 1 June, 2014
OWC is having one of their monthly garage sales - a few of you were talking about hitting Microcenter and buying bare drives and rolling your own storage.

Here's a good deal on a USB 3 enclosure - for 3.5 drives (includes Power supply AND cable) for $1.75 - damn cable usually costs more than that....

eshop.macsales.com

Garage sale list: eshop.macsales.com
DJ Tracktion 5:49 PM - 5 June, 2014
So is it a good, safe or even plausible idea to put a 3 or 4TB internal drive in my 2010mbp and replace the cd drive?
Papa Midnight 5:55 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
So is it a good, safe or even plausible idea to put a 3 or 4TB internal drive in my 2010mbp and replace the cd drive?

Not physically possible. No HDDs exist in that form factor.
Papa Midnight 5:55 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
No HDDs exist in that form factor.

Addendum: No HDDs of that capacity exist in that form factor.
Code:E 8:21 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
No HDDs exist in that form factor.

Addendum: No HDDs of that capacity exist in that form factor.

if they did and they worked/performed well, we would all have them.