DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

hard time trying to beat match

Lions 12:45 AM - 13 June, 2013
Hey All!!!

Please be gentle with me....

I am having a hard time beat matching with my songs...I have a huge gig on saturday....any suggestions?
4:31 PM, 13 Jun 2013
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:33 PM - 13 June, 2013
I suggest using songs with similar BPM's. This way there will be less need to manipulate the pitch controls.

Also choose songs that have similar beat patterns, this will help them layer.

There are a few visual aids in the software as well. There is a tempo match display window that gives you a visual representation of the peaks in both tracks, helping you align their tempo. Scratch Live also provides a beat matching display window that shows you markers to assist with beat matching.

Practice is really the only thing that can help you.
DJ DisGrace 4:39 PM - 13 June, 2013
Put the same song on both decks and mix back and forth between them. Change the pitch a little each time, cover your computer screen.
Joshua Carl 4:44 PM - 13 June, 2013
3 days of hard practice... that's really the only answer.
the learning curve for mixing has been greatly reduced, but not eliminated.
phatbob 4:48 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey All!!!

I am having a hard time beat matching with my songs...I have a huge gig on saturday....any suggestions?

If your huge gig involves beat matching and you can't do that, cancel now.

Because you won't get booked again.

You'll probably do your future prospects far more harm than good by doing the gig.
Joshua Carl 4:49 PM - 13 June, 2013
^^^ That too.
Chrisjin 4:50 PM - 13 June, 2013
Put on a hoodie and sunglasses and use a fake name
Whyme 5:10 PM - 13 June, 2013
I know you said a "huge gig", by that do you mean a party at your buddies house or a professional level gig. If it's your buddies house and they are not expecting much then just have a good play list and arrange them in an entertaining way. If it is at all a paid gig where expectations are you will be mixing, you need to cancel or at least be honest with your client about what you will be able to do. I would honestly cancel. As to learning to beat match, it will take a lot longer than the time you have left.
DJRemixEnt 5:31 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey All!!!

^ are you fuckin serious...smdh
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:58 PM - 13 June, 2013
Or you can just paypal one us to do a pre-made mix for you. Hit play and all u have to Learn is how to Jesus pose and do Heart hands and twist the Eq knobs like they weigh 40lbs

Anybody got a opening bid to save him?
dj_soo 6:20 PM - 13 June, 2013
Give you're"huge gig" to someone who knows what they are doing
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:24 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey All!!!

Practice, practice, practice, practice
DJRemixEnt 6:26 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:

if you have to start your thread with this.... you know for a fact, that what you have to say is gonna be bullshit.
djmallon 7:53 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Or you can just paypal one us to do a pre-made mix for you. Hit play and all u have to Learn is how to Jesus pose and do Heart hands and twist the Eq knobs like they weigh 40lbs

50 dolla holla
Jesus Christ 8:06 PM - 13 June, 2013
hat has this world come to? Do we blame celebrity DJs? Do we blame Serato? Do we blame ourselves? When I started DJing, it was YEARS.. I mean 4-5 years... before I weven considered myself good enough to take a "huge gig." What the fucking fuck???!?!?!
Jesus Christ 8:06 PM - 13 June, 2013
What*
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:09 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

50 dolla holla

Ill do it for drink tickets
StevenWayne 9:16 PM - 13 June, 2013
what kinda gig is this "huge gig"? oh yeah, beat matching is overrated, just slam it in, trust me.
Thundercat 9:49 PM - 13 June, 2013
Wow.

By moving this thread here, Chad just basically said GTFO and threw him to the wolves.

When all else fails, punt...
StevenWayne 9:53 PM - 13 June, 2013
^ lol totally
DJMark 9:54 PM - 13 June, 2013
I have my first major-league baseball game on Saturday, where is first base?
Discobee 9:56 PM - 13 June, 2013
Isn't this like that murder trial by a new lawyer post?
Laz219 10:30 PM - 13 June, 2013
Learning to beatmatch straight 128bpm stuff could probably be done that quickly, not well.

I'm amazed at the number of relatively proper responses to this thread.
jprime 10:49 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
I have my first major-league baseball game on Saturday, where is first base?

lol man :D

I have my first date on Saturday. What's a vagina?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:57 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
Learning to beatmatch straight 128bpm stuff could probably be done that quickly, not well.

I'm amazed at the number of relatively proper responses to this thread.

I didnt even see the part about the gig lol
Laz219 11:39 PM - 13 June, 2013
Must feel like a missed opportunity then?
[a.g.] 2:15 AM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
Or you can just paypal one us to do a pre-made mix for you. Hit play and all u have to Learn is how to Jesus pose and do Heart hands and twist the Eq knobs like they weigh 40lbsAnybody got a opening bid to save him?

Lol. But really before agreeing to spin at a "huge gig" OP shouldve already takin care of beat matching even just a little.
AKIEM 2:36 AM - 14 June, 2013
LMAO @ hey guys, how's a vigina work? I got a date.

Nm
DJ Remy USA 4:14 AM - 14 June, 2013
I thought this would be funnier by now....Im tracking a waiting

Oh yea practice guy
the_black_one 4:50 AM - 14 June, 2013
i need help with music, how to mix, equipment .... i have a huge gig .... thanx in advance
O.B.1 7:41 AM - 14 June, 2013
if you can count to 4, 8, 16 that helps with phrasing too - but I don't want to overwhelm you on your first gig...
pdidy 8:12 AM - 14 June, 2013
I call BULLSHIT , aka trollin

Yall are so fuckin gullible.....lol
AliKat 9:54 AM - 14 June, 2013
This is hilarious!
Matt E Boots 11:04 AM - 14 June, 2013
I'm doing my first open heart surgery tomorrow. Does anyone know how to stitch?
stevie o 11:59 AM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
hat has this world come to? Do we blame celebrity DJs? Do we blame Serato? Do we blame ourselves? When I started DJing, it was YEARS.. I mean 4-5 years... before I weven considered myself good enough to take a "huge gig." What the fucking fuck???!?!?!

I DJ so bad?
jprime 4:00 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
This is hilarious!

Doyyyyyyyle :)
Jesus Christ 4:09 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I DJ so bad?

Yes you do! nm
Jesus Christ 4:16 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I DJ so bad?

Maybe I'm just too critical and kept comparing my skill level with people that were already performing at the professional level (ie. radio DJs, club DJs, etc). Maybe it's the fact that I started in 1983 and there was no internet to expose me to worldwide talent. What I heard was either on local stations, local venues or on badly recorded TAPES that were sent to me from other parts of the country. The technology didn't give me shortcuts either. I had 2 turntables, a mixer, records and a pair of headphones. No sync button. No infinite library of music available at the click of a mouse button. No craigslist. No waveforms.

So... yes! I DJ so bad!

nm
Funkytownstopsix 7:13 PM - 14 June, 2013
JC like the avatar,,,,, I don't take you so literal now and +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I posted this today somewhere that DJ's today are not coming up correct. When I started I started as an helper, equipment setter upper ect ect. Only touching turntables at first setup and watching the teacher all party long. Once the guy that was teaching felt comfortable in my skill by the way which I had to practice everyday to get then he let me actually dj during a party after that I was on my own.... Today buy a controller and go on youtube and your a DJ.... FUDGERS I have taught 5 dj's and all the same way, no waves no new tech just the oldschool way two turntables and a mixer and they thank me for it because they can sit with real dj's and do what real dj's do........ Learn the old way it's the best way that way you can walk in anywhere and start playing.
Dj R. Driver 10:21 PM - 14 June, 2013
I HAVE MY FIRST MURDER CASE ON MONDAY AS A NEW LAWYER, O WAIT CMOS ALREADY BEAT ME TO IT LOL
Jesus Christ 10:41 PM - 14 June, 2013
Hey All!!!

I am having a hard time figuring out why my ratchet only tightens nuts and doesn't loosen them...I just bought my first toolkit from Sears and I am upgrading a V12 in my friend's new Lamborghini this weekend...any suggestions?
Dj R. Driver 11:25 PM - 14 June, 2013
im having a hard time to beat off
the_black_one 11:36 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
im having a hard time to beat off

you could always just "RUN DA TRAP"
Dj R. Driver 11:39 PM - 14 June, 2013
this is how you mix trap
www.mixcloud.com
AliKat 9:20 AM - 15 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote: