DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PIO CDJ-1000 VS DENON DNS-5000, Pros & Cons?

Dj Chris Deza 7:39 PM - 13 February, 2006
Ok guys, here's my situation. I am a denon whore. Since the switch from wax to cd's (about 10 years now), I have always trusted and used denon players. I first started back with the 2000 MKII, since then I have owned and played on every single player denon has made. The tech team at Denon are great and that has also factored in with my relationship with Denon products.

Thru the years I have played in over 60+ clubs, Denon used to be a standard in the DJ booth when it came to CD players. But I have started to see more and more clubs started switching over to Pioneer's CDJ-1000. I'm aware of the Pioneer promo, where they have given players away to the bigger venues as a form of marketing. I don't really follow those that say "CDJ's are the club standard" cuase in rality they are not. More clubs still have Denon players installed than do the CDJ's, but none the less I am coming across clubs that have them.

Now my partner was debating with me as to wich players to have. I currently own the DNS-5000 and I love them for both CD's and SSL. His debate is that CDJ's are better player. I am not a scratch DJ, as my specialty is House and Latin. When I throw down a Hip Hop set or a Regageton set I do tend to scratch, but I am more of a "mixologist" than a "scratcher". So the whole "CDJ scratch sounds more real" holds no barring on my dicision.

I also own a pair of DNS-1000 which I take to smaller gigs. I love the size and with SSL it = the perfect mobile gig set.

Here are some pros and cons I am aware of:

Size= I know the CDJ's re bigger in size, and that is like the first strike.

Display Screen = The screen on the CDJ is bigger, and that would be a good thing if I was still using CD's but since I did the switch to SSL, my CD's have become sort of like that relative you only want to see if you have no choice but to see them.

Spinning Plater = Here's is where DNS-5000 have an advantage over the CDJ. It gives me realistic the vinyl feel.

Features = DNS-5000 has a million and one features that are great when you are playing CD's but becomes overkill when you use it with SSL.

I know the player debate has been taken on before, but I'm really looking for a pros and cons.
If the pros for the Pio's wins I will be putting up my 5000's on ebay.

Thanks to everyone who participates in making up my mind.
anewsome 7:58 PM - 13 February, 2006
CDJ are bigger and that's a negative? I would think the opposite. That's one of the things I like better on the CDJ is the bigger platter, although motorized would be more important to me.
skinnyguy 8:38 PM - 13 February, 2006
platter size is about the same. esp if you consider the part where your hand goes.

why do YOU wanna switch? if you are comfortable where you are, then stay there.
DJ Dynamight 8:49 PM - 13 February, 2006
Since you're not a skratchaholic, just stick with the S5000. Sure the CDJ1000 is everywhere you look, but if the static platter doesn't float your boat then why switch?
Dj Chris Deza 8:55 PM - 13 February, 2006
Thanks for the input Skinny & Dynamight, I know you are asking why switch? Well thats the thing I don't really want to switch, but I would like to keep on top of my game when it comes to equipment. And hearing the pro's and con's from everyday users is incredibly helpful. Hey, you guys are the reason why I purchased SSl in the first place.

Anewsome, you are right a motorized platter is key.
agelo538 12:24 AM - 14 February, 2006
Have you considered the technics sldz 1200??
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:22 AM - 14 February, 2006
*shivers*
kicko 4:38 AM - 14 February, 2006
i think 1000's play mp3's but 800's dont

get s5000's it's easy spinning platter--------1000's spining LCD
DJ Yaz 4:49 AM - 14 February, 2006
What keeps you from going back to vinyl? SSL with a turntable is the best of both worlds. Looping, scratching, file management... and soon to come pitch n time (aka master tempo in pio speak). I owned a pair of CDJ 1000 to compliment my turntables and they were great, and after buying SSL I didn't touch em. I mean never. I sold them... it hurt to do it a little but I couldn't justify having them anymore.

The other nice thing is so many clubs already have turntables set up. Expecting CDJ's or Denons in a clubs is problematic anywhere you go. Also you've got a ton of money wrapped up in technology that will be outdated. Who knows when Pioneer will drop a new CD player that has an Ipod hookup or something? Then your stuff is worth next to nothing. At least with SSL the changes will be incremental and not always require new equipment. Just a new laptop purchase every once in a while, but you can use that laptop for all sorts of things.

I also have found there is a slight (but annoyingly detectable lag) when using ssl and cd players. With Vinyl it just feels like butter. It makes mixing fun again.

That's my $.02 but I know that's kind of outside the scope of what you were asking.
The Axledental DJ 5:36 AM - 14 February, 2006
Using SSL 1.5 build 1528 beta 3, is perfect with my Denon S1000!
You can mix with just 1 Denon S1000. No cue point cut off problems at all. I think having 2 Technic 1200's with 2 Denon S1000s with SSL would be awesome, you couldn't go wrong.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:50 AM - 14 February, 2006
^^werd
DJ SHY 3:18 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
Do the later models of 1000's play mp3's yet? When I was buying CDJ's that was a big part of my decision to go with the denons...

the 1000's or the 800's DO NOT play mp3's...the only player(s) that pioneer have that play mp3 are there discontinued DMP555 media player...and their DVJ (via an update)
JohnDP1 9:53 PM - 14 February, 2006
the CDJ1000mk3 is on its way...its being currently tested by some European DJ's (i know that, don't know anything for non-EU jocks like Roger Sanchez). Expected info to be revealed shortly after Musikmesse in Frankfurt in April.

It will definitely have mp3 but i don't know if its really a plus. I mean, having mp3's means to have a lot of songs, but having a lot of songs with such a small display its useless. mp3's for me make only sense for SSL/FS2/Traktor etc.
click 10:29 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
the CDJ1000mk3 is on its way...its being currently tested by some European DJ's (i know that, don't know anything for non-EU jocks like Roger Sanchez). Expected info to be revealed shortly after Musikmesse in Frankfurt in April.

It will definitely have mp3 but i don't know if its really a plus. I mean, having mp3's means to have a lot of songs, but having a lot of songs with such a small display its useless. mp3's for me make only sense for SSL/FS2/Traktor etc.

Does the platter move???
mister iLL 12:23 AM - 15 February, 2006
Quote:
What keeps you from going back to vinyl? SSL with a turntable is the best of both worlds.

i have to admit i've been wanting to ask this question as well, for as long as i've been on this forum. with the exception of those dj's who use players that can't play mp3's, i'm a little confused as to the benefits of using cd players with ssl. I've seen a lot of threads with people complaining about how they can't use some of the features that are on their cd decks with ssl....and a book of cd's isn't exactly hard to carry. i'm sure there's a ton of great reasons; i've never used cd's so i don't know. someone enlighten me!
anewsome 12:50 AM - 15 February, 2006
When I first got SSL I was using it with DZ1200 cd players because I only had one turntable (long story). Ever since I replaced my turntable and I have two turntables now,.. I have cracked the coffin with my DZ1200 in them,.. not once. And the DZ are pretty sweet in my opinion. Big shiny ass spinning platter. What more could you ask for,.. turntables. That's what!
Dj Chris Deza 3:09 AM - 15 February, 2006
Mister Ill, for me its a matter of what is more convinient to carry around. I prefer to lug around 2 DNS-1000 to mobile gig than to carry 2 1200's. As for the club scene, most clubs have house equipment (TT and CD players), so with SSL is a matter of getting there and plugin my box in. If the club doesnt have players, I prefer to play with CD's and not worry about the ground issue. Now here is an added benefit to playing with CD's, if for any reason your system crashes it's easier to rock the party with a book of CD's (you know the backup you leave in the car just in case) than to carry around a couple of crates of wax.
Soulvation 4:47 AM - 15 February, 2006
I had a Denon DNS-5000 and I loved it, my style is R'n'B, but in my eyes the Pioneer are a bit better at holding a mix, but i do miss the Denons spinning platter,although you cant really touch it on like a deck, you have to use pitch bend.(sold my denon on ebay)

My Dj partner has the Technics players and loved them, but i cant stand them.
vidoona 7:15 AM - 15 February, 2006
Quote:

i have to admit i've been wanting to ask this question as well, for as long as i've been on this forum...........and a book of cd's isn't exactly hard to carry. i'm sure there's a ton of great reasons; i've never used cd's so i don't know. someone enlighten me!

I use both vinyl and CD's, but the reasoning for cd players is:

If I'm playing a small gig or in a tight place (where I don't need to scratch), I bring denon s-1000s and SSL with a dnx-1000 mixer. The whole rig is 27 inches wide and only like 30lbs. CD players also allow for fast cueing, hot starts, loops, and on board sampling. Debatably they allow you to be more creative with your mix vs. vinyl too given those features. The only features that don't work generally are onboard FX. The downside: you don't get the full "vinyl feel."

The second reason is music organization and SSL is the ultimate solution. When the CDJ's came out, I bought them because you could fit 15 songs on a CD and get vinyl feel. When the Numark CDX came out, I bought them because you could fit 150 songs on a CD and get vinyl feel......but these were still both a pain because you have no good way of organizing your newest music without burning a ton of CDs and taking up time and money.

With SSL, you can instantly update, sort, and alphabatize the collection with your newest vinyl/CD rip, original song, or mp3 download. On the CDJ's or any other cd/mp3 player, you're still gonna end up burning temporary 5 song cd's in order to play the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. Then there's the issues of having to reburn CDs when you have enough new music to fill a full CD and keeping a database of what CDs all your music is on....in the end you have a ton of CDs with random organization that eventually takes up a lot of room. Imagine being subscribed to promo-only and having all those CDs around too, unless you're willing to rip them and reburn as mp3.

I'd say most DJs on this forum have about 10,000 songs or more.
10,000 songs x 5 min per song = 50,000 minutes
50,000 minutes / 80 min per CD or 750Mb = 625 CDs (66 mp3 cds)
All these CDs took an average of 10 min to burn for a total of 104 hours. I got started with Serato in 10 min...

I still love vinyl too, but I hope this helps.......didn't mean to write a novel.
spirez 12:08 PM - 15 February, 2006
I'd rather have the direct drive DNS-3500 than the CDJ-1000 to be honest.

I like the Pioneer but the 3500 is a bit of a ground breaker and the platter is sweet.

Also with the Pioneer, when i tested a demo unit i found the platter to feel loose and a bit disconnected. If this happens with all of them over time then i would feel a bit pissed off having spent £700 on it.

Plus the denon has a few effects and stuff
vidoona 5:26 PM - 15 February, 2006
The dn-3500 is sweet and built by a better company than Numark, but the CDX is the only good full size platter solution out there (real vinyl too). I loved mine....built in effect and all.

The 1000's platter does feel a little cheap and loose, but I've had mine since they first came out (must be 5-6 years ago now) and they haven't let up. The pair I use at a club are just as old and through all of their nightly use, still no problems with the platter.

I suppose it's kinda an issue like the tech-12s.......there's obviously (debatably) better solutions functionally out there like the 4.5 kg/cm torque Stanton ST-150, Numark TTX, and Vestax PDX among others, but the Tech's have lasted the test of time and are the club standard, just like the CDJ-1000s have become.
mister iLL 6:29 PM - 15 February, 2006
deza +vidoona: your comments make perfect sense...i hadn't thought about the easy backup plan, or the music organization aspect of it. It must be difficult to rummage through a ton of burnt cd's looking for this or that song (at least with vinyl, if you know your library, you can find stuff based on the color/markings of the sleeve spines). Thanks; now i know!
DJ Yaz 8:55 PM - 15 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I still love vinyl too, but I hope this helps.......didn't mean to write a novel.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. :-)
vidoona 9:14 PM - 15 February, 2006
haha....I do what I can
Dj Chris Deza 2:01 PM - 16 February, 2006
Quote:
deza +vidoona: your comments make perfect sense...It must be difficult to rummage through a ton of burnt cd's looking for this or that song (at least with vinyl, if you know your library, you can find stuff based on the color/markings of the sleeve spines).

ILL, if you keep your CD's in order you should have no problem looking for that track you want to throw down. Before I started using SSl, I would carry a book with about 350 CD's (Mostly all in audio format, but some were MP3). I got so used to the way I organized my shyt that I could have found a CD with my eyes closed and drunk as a dog. It's a matter of organization and getting used to it.
skinnyguy 7:58 PM - 16 February, 2006
with the denon decks, you could use control cds with the first track being the control signal and the rest of the disc being backup songs. i read somewhere that the control signal can be compressed down to something pretty low...like 64 kbps and still be cool.
DJ Sparx 5:27 AM - 27 February, 2006
Has anyone looked at the new Newmark x2 hybrids? Although I use SSL with vinyl, sometimes when switching out with another DJ, we through in a CD. These hybrids have both.

www.numark.com click on turntables and then x2
DJ Sparx 5:30 AM - 27 February, 2006
sorry...forgot this was a CDJ1000 versus Denon DNS5000 thread
vidoona 5:35 AM - 27 February, 2006
Used to own CDXs......they were awesome.
DJ Sparx 6:56 AM - 27 February, 2006
Just sold my CDX's today on eBay. Switching to the CDJ1000MK2 only because every club in Vegas uses them and I want to be proficient at both SSL with vinyl AND with the CD contol. I was also looking at the CDJ1000MK3's...mp3 support.
DJ MDX 6:59 AM - 27 February, 2006
I terms of these two in regard to SSL, The CDJ's respond a lot tighter than the DN-S's do.
BriChi 6:06 PM - 27 February, 2006
Quote:
I terms of these two in regard to SSL, The CDJ's respond a lot tighter than the DN-S's do.

Definately, I just purchased 2 - cdj800's and they respond a lot better than any of the Denon's i used.
Rebelguy 6:40 PM - 27 February, 2006
I noticed a couple of people questioning the reasoning for using CD players. I initially purchased SSL so that I could switch back to vinyl but a string of bad DJ setups at me recent clubs really have me secong guessing this. My weekly clud has their booth set up on a stage that not only has the bass bins underneath it, but also has VIP booths set up on both side of the booth. Add to this a faulty ground on one turntable and the usual problems of worn out tonearm connections and you got some serious srikes agains the turntable route. As an experiment I decided to go the CDJ route last week and the result...a flawless night.

The next night I had a gig at another club with a similar vibration problem but no CD players on site. All I can say is that it was very irritating.

Now I could bring my own turntables but that just leads to me having to expose my gear to wear and tear that it doesn't need to go through.

I still got to debate the whole situation before I decide.

Chris
DJ Frikkiao 12:11 AM - 5 May, 2006
Deza,

as a former Denon Direct DJ, I can give you first hand information so that you can make your decision.

I was the Black sheep over at Denon because I kept challenging their technology, and their player's inability to read CD media, which the catergorized as "bad". The company constantly denies any wrong with their units, only to later release an "update" for the same. They should test their units thoughrougly prior to releasing buggy CD players.

I have switched over to Pioneer 1000's and I can load the worst overused, stepped on, scratched CD in the slot and it will play. On top of that, the machine reacts to your command in the most demanding enviroment. Can't say the same for Denon. I do give em props for the Small S1000's - they are good for road gigs.

I am not here to bash denon because I would sound like a disgruntled employee, but I Do tell you this: Pioneers are the Truth. Like you, I used to be a Denon Bitch and Fanboy. I have tried every single player out there, and nothing beats the 1000's. Hands down. SSL or not. Them freakin players can take a beating.

DJ Frikkiao
FiestaCaliente.com
djransom 12:15 AM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
Deza,

as a former Denon Direct DJ, I can give you first hand information so that you can make your decision.

I was the Black sheep over at Denon because I kept challenging their technology, and their player's inability to read CD media, which the catergorized as "bad". The company constantly denies any wrong with their units, only to later release an "update" for the same. They should test their units thoughrougly prior to releasing buggy CD players.

I have switched over to Pioneer 1000's and I can load the worst overused, stepped on, scratched CD in the slot and it will play. On top of that, the machine reacts to your command in the most demanding enviroment. Can't say the same for Denon. I do give em props for the Small S1000's - they are good for road gigs.

I am not here to bash denon because I would sound like a disgruntled employee, but I Do tell you this: Pioneers are the Truth. Like you, I used to be a Denon Bitch and Fanboy. I have tried every single player out there, and nothing beats the 1000's. Hands down. SSL or not. Them freakin players can take a beating.

DJ Frikkiao
FiestaCaliente.com

At least you were able to admit Denon's shortcomings. I've had the 1Ks and the 5Ks and neither of them were great IMHO. I have the Pio CDJ 800s and I have yet to experience a problem w/ them. My philosophy is to go w/ what works for you.
double B 12:39 AM - 5 May, 2006
Just get some Numark TT500's, Shure M44-7s, and Rane Serato. Worked for me ;). I like it way better. I have owned Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk1s, and Denon 5000's. My friend has the 3500's. Great decks but I like this setup better ;)!
djzoo 1:44 AM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
I noticed a couple of people questioning the reasoning for using CD players. I initially purchased SSL so that I could switch back to vinyl but a string of bad DJ setups at me recent clubs really have me secong guessing this. My weekly clud has their booth set up on a stage that not only has the bass bins underneath it, but also has VIP booths set up on both side of the booth. Add to this a faulty ground on one turntable and the usual problems of worn out tonearm connections and you got some serious srikes agains the turntable route. As an experiment I decided to go the CDJ route last week and the result...a flawless night.

The next night I had a gig at another club with a similar vibration problem but no CD players on site. All I can say is that it was very irritating.

Now I could bring my own turntables but that just leads to me having to expose my gear to wear and tear that it doesn't need to go through.

I still got to debate the whole situation before I decide.

Chris

Yo what happened to you? The new guy is not as good as you.
vidoona 2:46 AM - 5 May, 2006
Yikes, I hope he's bought a pair by now considering we haven't touched this thread in three months.

Deza, what did you end up getting?
Dj Chris Deza 4:12 AM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
Yikes, I hope he's bought a pair by now considering we haven't touched this thread in three months.

Actually I'm selling the 5000's, I just finish putting them on eBay. I had a chance to abuse some MKIII's and I am sold. I am gonna loose alot of features that I had become acustomed to (alpha mostly). But I tried the players with SSL and it did feel like I had better control.

Yo Frikkiao, you always have interesting view on most topics and that should make you a perfect fit to the family.... Welcome aboard, and don't forget to put up the toilet seat.
vidoona 4:21 AM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Actually I'm selling the 5000's, I just finish putting them on eBay. I had a chance to abuse some MKIII's and I am sold. I am gonna loose alot of features that I had become acustomed to (alpha mostly). But I tried the players with SSL and it did feel like I had better control.

Yo Frikkiao, you always have interesting view on most topics and that should make you a perfect fit to the family.... Welcome aboard, and don't forget to put up the toilet seat.

I've gone through a lot of players in recent years and I'd have to agree. There's something about the pios that just melds well with the program. I think it's probably the way they do the pitch that transmits more detail than a lot of players.

I have no complaints about the Denon DNS-1000s I mostly use now. I like how I can fit them in between my tables or haul em to a club if I need to.

At my current residency, we just had our first MK1 go bad. The jog wheel stopped working. It lasted since the MK1's first came out (like 6 or 7 years ago) so that's not bad at all.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:44 PM - 5 May, 2006
@ vid (At my current residency, we just had our first MK1 go bad.)
did it happen in tha middle of your set? what was your work around?
vidoona 10:27 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:

It did happen in the middle of the set.......at first it was just really puzzling because it wouldn't respond to either scratch movements in vinyl mode or even pitch bend in CDJ mode.

Once I realized that the wheel went bad, I just ended up using pitch bend buttons for an hour until the owner showed up with a brand new mk1 he's had as a backup all these years.

We sent the thing in for repair.....not sure of the cost, but I'm not paying either.
DJ MDX 2:41 AM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
I've gone through a lot of players in recent years and I'd have to agree. There's something about the pios that just melds well with the program. I think it's probably the way they do the pitch that transmits more detail than a lot of players.

I have no complaints about the Denon DNS-1000s I mostly use now. I like how I can fit them in between my tables or haul em to a club if I need to.

At my current residency, we just had our first MK1 go bad. The jog wheel stopped working. It lasted since the MK1's first came out (like 6 or 7 years ago) so that's not bad at all.

Quote:
Quote:

It did happen in the middle of the set.......at first it was just really puzzling because it wouldn't respond to either scratch movements in vinyl mode or even pitch bend in CDJ mode.

Once I realized that the wheel went bad, I just ended up using pitch bend buttons for an hour until the owner showed up with a brand new mk1 he's had as a backup all these years.

We sent the thing in for repair.....not sure of the cost, but I'm not paying either.

I am confused, was it a Denon DN-S1000 that went bad or a Pioneer CDJ-1000 that went bad.

I am confused because you said you used pitch bend buttons and that is not something on a Pioneer product but is on a Denon product.

Am I missing something here???
DJC 6:37 AM - 6 May, 2006
MDX i was thinking the same thing never seen pitch bend buttons on a pioneer table top deck.
vidoona 8:34 AM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
MDX i was thinking the same thing never seen pitch bend buttons on a pioneer table top deck.

My bad....wasn't thinking when I used the word. If you quickly click the forward or back "search" buttons above cue, it'll jump the track forward or back a few frames. It's a trick I used to use when I first started and had these god awful "gem sound" dual CD players that had a pitch slider, but no bend. It's not a good method at all because you only get 1/75th second of resolution and can sound grainy if you have to make drastic adjustments live. I think I probably swaped terms since how I remember symbols instead of words and just thought of the arrows fwd or back on the buttons.
DJ Frikkiao 8:03 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:

LOL - I've been here for a minute dude.... Not much time to post as I have just been reading and learning. I always study before I open my mouth. But thanks for the warm welcome. I will put up the Seat. ;)
vidoona 8:16 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
Not much time to post as I have just been reading and learning. I always study before I open my mouth. But thanks for the warm welcome. I will put up the Seat. ;)

That's awesome man. So many guys who just joined like to ask the same questions without even seeing if someone asked before. When I first got on here, I thought I knew alot and have learned rediculous little tricks, music tips, and equipment tips.......it's invaluable if you're willing ot take the time to read.
Dj Chris Deza 10:56 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

LOL - I've been here for a minute dude.... Not much time to post as I have just been reading and learning. I always study before I open my mouth. But thanks for the warm welcome. I will put up the Seat. ;)

I did the same thing, I had SSL for a quick minute and just kept reading and reading. It was king of intimadating at first until I learned a few tricks from the forum crew.

So, Frikkiao you rocking teh clubs in Jersey with SSL yet or you just practicing at home?
DJ Jayzon 2:19 AM - 6 August, 2006
I was supposed to play on Denon 5000's tonight. Hooked up my box and cables and started to mess with them, they're the worst piece of DJ equipment I ever laid my hands on. How is anybody supposed to be able to scratch with those??? Good thing the club a pair of TT's there that wasn't supposed to be there, saved my night!
cMo 4:19 PM - 4 October, 2006
DJ Jayzon - that's an interesting comment, because I've often wondered why I don't really see many of the turntablists using CD decks... I did see a guy doing some good scratches with the technichs dz-1200's on youtoob though...

Vidoona:

"I'd say most DJs on this forum have about 10,000 songs or more.
10,000 songs x 5 min per song = 50,000 minutes
50,000 minutes / 80 min per CD or 750Mb = 625 CDs (66 mp3 cds)
All these CDs took an average of 10 min to burn for a total of 104 hours. I got started with Serato in 10 min..."

LOL - I have tried to explain that to a few peeps myself, but never broke it down quite like that - nice
MusicMeister 5:04 AM - 5 October, 2006
As soon as I get SSL hooked up (picking up my new laptop tomorrow, SSL in a week or two) I'll post a video of scratching with the SLDZ's... Every complaint I've ever heard with respect to the SLDZ's is negated by using SSL.

Load time - don't swap CD's with SSL.
Pitch Lock scratching sounds like crap - not a problem because SSL handles the scratching.

I'll try to get Julls to come over and rock it with him as well. Maybe even do a video EDM set on the SLDZ's and some TT's or something...