Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

new laptop for serato

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DaVibecat 3:51 PM - 30 October, 2008
Now I want to buy a second laptop only for serato use. Norally i only use windows and I still have not work with a mac. But I heared that a mac is better for serato? So, do you advise me to buy a mac? If yes, which? Or doesn't it matter anyway? Then are there windows laptops, you can advise me or some you really disadvise me?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:42 PM - 30 October, 2008
Get a Macbook. Doesn't have to be the newest ones and doesn't have to be too fancy. It must atleast have a 1Ghz Processor and 1GB of RAM.
DaVibecat 11:38 PM - 4 November, 2008
I think about it but I prefer Windows. If I would buy a windows notebook, should it have an intel processor or is a 2GHZ Turion processor as same as well?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:57 PM - 5 November, 2008
Should be the same.
On a windows machine you atleast want to have a 1.5 ghz processor and 1 gb or RAM.
mikep 5:07 AM - 6 November, 2008
I have an HP with an AMD Turion and 17" widescreen. The 17" also has 2 internal drives so my music is on the "D" drive and backed up to external with programs on "C" and I have a ghost of the "C" drive in case.
djbob 4:59 AM - 10 February, 2009
I'm about to buy a brand new laptop also...strictly for SSL (no web surfing, office apps, etc). I'm not ready to switch to a Mac yet so it's gonna be a PC. I have my eye on this one and I'm about to pull the trigger and was hoping you guys could take quick look and "sign off" lol:

HP dv5 Series

Intel® Core™2 Duo T6400 (800MHz system bus, 2MB L2 cache and TWO 2.0GHz cores).
4GB DDR2 memory (expandable to 8GB).
DVD±RW/CD-RW
15.4" high-definition widescreen 1280 x 800.
320GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (up to 1759MB total video memory).
HDMI port for connectivity.
3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
1 eSATA/USB combo port
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
$729

The hardware specs look pretty good right?

I think one of my biggest concerns is the 64-bit Vista but I shouldn't worry with 1.8.2 or higher right?

and could you guys post a link or links to any treads about optimizing Vista for SSL here too?

Thanks alot!
jakef 10:00 AM - 10 February, 2009
All PC laptops seem to have Vista now and not all will allow you to install XP because of lack of drivers. Here's a similar Dell laptop for $700 and you can buy the 17" for $50 more: www.bestbuy.com
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:34 PM - 10 February, 2009
djbob: You are correct. As long as you have versions 1.8.2 or better you will be fine. Specs look good. If you're looking to get into video SL - go with a MAC.

Even the buffest PCs lack with video as opposed to a simple Macbook.

For the vista optimization just type "Vista Optimization" in the search to the right and follow the directions in the Guide for Digital DJs.
DaVibecat 1:52 PM - 28 April, 2009
does vista and video sl work fine? or are there so many problems that it really only should be used with a mac?

And generally, does work serato better with vista or with xp?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:22 PM - 28 April, 2009
ScratchLIVE works better with XP over Vista. Video SL does run on vista - only minor annoying issues, but stability is fine.

ScratchLIVE and Video SL are both better on MAC because MACs are just overall better machines. PCs vary in processor manufacturer, and tend to have USB port/chipset issues.

Your general Macbook is ready to run Video SL usually right out of the box (give or take a few GB of RAM).
DJStevieP 1:30 AM - 9 September, 2009
VideoSL runs like crap on PC because of Quicktime sucking, and because of poor software optimization on the PC side of VSL - not because PCs are "worse overall machines". Macs aren't better because of the "machines", they are better because the software & hardware are designed to work together, with no variation.

If you buy a laptop that's over $700 in any case, you'll be getting one with extremely similar hardware, whether it be a mac or PC. Core 2 Duo, Intel chipsets on the motherboard, and a minimum of 3gb of ram. If you've got a non-integrated video card on your laptop, you'll be OK on the video side.. though if you're stubborn and want to stick to PC for Video SL, use Virtual DJ instead. At the moment, a macbook is the only real way to play with VSL smoothly.
10:31 PM, 4 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.