Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Dj crashes when I plug in my external hard drive with my controller on

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
U2xtreme 7:26 AM - 5 June, 2013
I have a 1TB external hard drive. As soon as I plug it in with Serato running and my controller connected, it locks up and Serato stops responding. Should I be deleting my old crates before analyzing all my files? Is there a setting I need to change for large external hard drives? PLEASE HELP !!
DJMartin 8:48 AM - 5 June, 2013
Hi U2xtreme,

The problem is usually not the large drive, but a large library.
Can you post us your PC specs and especially the amount of tracks which are in the serato library?
U2xtreme 1:48 AM - 6 June, 2013
I use a Sony Vaio. It runs Windows 7 and is fairly clean and not bogged down. The library on the external hard drive has around 43K songs. Is that too big ? What do others do with large song libraries? PLEASE HELP :(
DANGERUST 6:24 AM - 6 June, 2013
Hi U2xtreme,

I had the same trouble. I have about 32k songs on my ehd. I have spent a lot of hours to get where I am now and been on the phone to Serato for hours as well. But now I can start up Serato with my ehd and DDJ-SX connected and Serato works fine apart my iTunes playlist is shown in Serato but there's no songs in them or in the all folder.
I have got two Serato folders one on my laptop and the second is on my ehd.
I had to create crates for every playlist and rename the crate folder to crates_old, so Serato can't read it because I had to many crates. Again memory issue.
So now Serato has all my music in the All folder in the program. Just need to search for your songs in the search bar.
Hope this has helped you.

P.S Serato are trying to sort out the memory issue but may take awhile!
Also if you look @ my Discussion (Serato shut down) you can see what they have been saying.
DJMartin 7:41 AM - 6 June, 2013
It is advised to use at this stage a max of 10k because SDJ is having lots of problems reading large libraries. This is why SDJ is crashing.

I used to have 89k tracks and it took me 2 months to downsize. But at the end I am very happy I did this. (I now have about 6,500 tracks) My library is much more organized now and my PC/ SDJ a lot faster. I only have the the tracks now I play with, without having doubles or other crap I don´t use anyway.

The database issue is something Serato is working on right now though.
The problem is how SDJ reads and uses the RAM memory. As it is only a 32 bit application, the software can´t use more as 3-3-5 GB RAM. As it is more advanced as SSL they need to load more Vst´s, MIDI settings, etc. which reserves/ uses more recourses.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:19 AM - 14 June, 2013
Hey U2xtreme,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I see DJ Martin & DaveyRusty have been helping you out already. Thanks guys!

Quote:
I use a Sony Vaio. It runs Windows 7 and is fairly clean and not bogged down. The library on the external hard drive has around 43K songs. Is that too big ? What do others do with large song libraries? PLEASE HELP :(

43K of songs is a rather large Serato DJ library, I think this may be the reason Serato DJ is crashing for you. As the guys have already said, we are working extremely hard on library management and this will only improve over time, but for now the best thing to do is run a smaller Serato DJ library.

Can we please try the following,

1. Connect your external hard drive and open it.
2. You will see a " _SERATO_ " folder.
-- Rename this folder "_SERATO_External"
3. Launch Serato DJ with your controller connected.
-- You will notice Serato will not load the external drives music / crates.
-- This is fine while we troubleshoot.
4. Click the FILES button.
5. Navigate to your external drive.
6. Add around 100x music files to your Serato library.

Can you mix these files? Do you have any issues?

Please let me know how you get on :)

Thanks.