DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

To all the microwave DJs

prof. rockwell 7:34 AM - 7 February, 2006
How many of you actually own records? And if so, how many approximately? I was noticing in the setup piture thread an astonishing lack of crates or bookshelfs. I think outside of my own, I saw like 2 other setups that had records in the same room. They were all these ultra-sterile computer desks or custom built tables with no records to be seen anywhere.

I realize that's the point of SSL, but I wanna know how many of you were just like "hey, I got a lot of MP3s, and now I can play them just like real DJs do!"

Most of my friends who got SSL are vinyl enthusiats who either don't want to break their backs or not wear out their rare/expensive vinyl. Hell, I don't even use SSL at home.
shmok1 8:19 AM - 7 February, 2006
How many?? A wall.

If you don't wanna wear out your vinyl, why not use SSL @home?? That was my main reason to purchase SSL, there's so much stuff that I don't dare to put my hands on, so record it and cut it up for month!

That's what enthusiasm IMHO is about. SSL won't make me stop shoppin records, it makes me using my entire collection.
djHSL 9:03 AM - 7 February, 2006
Since you're being a provocative Professor, I'll respond in the same manner.

There is nothing about vinyl that makes a real DJ.

Vinyl is just a (dying) medium for the delivery of music. Sure, I started on vinyl, because that was all that was available at the time. Not for one minute did I regret the switch to CDs, and now I'm even more happy for my music to be digital. I have more of it available, more conveniently, and can be far more flexible in how I find it and use it.

Am I less of a DJ for using digital media? No way ... in fact, I'm MORE of a DJ than your typical vinyl user because I can get closer to the tape-based editing and remixing of the early New York days than any vinyl user can ever imagine. I can chop up tracks, blend tracks, record over tracks ... all the stuff guys were doing with reel-to-reel to get around the very limitations imposed by vinyl.

It is time this elitist BS ended. I don't care if you use vinyl, that's your choice. But look carefully at your roots before you look down on those who care more about the music and its presentation than the medium on which it is recorded.
DJLorrence 9:11 AM - 7 February, 2006
500+/-
DJ Rumor 9:17 AM - 7 February, 2006
I have a huge collection of records, 90% of it labeled with BPM, so yeah, I was and still am, a vinyl enthusiast/collector. Most DJ's I know who have SSL are also vinyl heads. I always tell people, I'm really glad SSL wasn't around when I began spinning, because lugging around crates, among other things, has made me appreciate Serato that much more.

djHSL, very good point on the elitist thing, because I'll admit, I was an elitist when it came to using vinyl, and well, I still am to a degree (now I feel SSL with vinyl is the way to go). I still have a hard time really respecting CD DJ's. It really has little to do with the ability to scratch (although CDJ's are out now, but still). It's really just to do with what I've seen over the years, and 90% of CD DJ's often don't know what they're doing or have minimal musical knowledge. Not to generalize, but I've been in the scene long enough and met enough DJ's to know that the best, most dedicated, and knowledgable DJ's have been vinyl users. But I do know what you're saying about being elitist about it, that's not the way to go, gotta be open-minded.
DJLorrence 9:38 AM - 7 February, 2006
hehe, when i started Mobile DJing i carred two Rubbermaid Tubs of records, and that was enough for me to know that i didn;'t want to be doing this over and over. SSL!
booster 5000 9:45 AM - 7 February, 2006
About 2000. Watch my pictures in the setup threat :-)
shmok1 10:22 AM - 7 February, 2006
DJ Rumor: word!
DJLSD 11:37 AM - 7 February, 2006
never counted...propably 200 or some. and cds just about the same amount

i'm a product of the napster era...most of u might think that in negative but think again...i know my music a lot better than i would've ever had spending that time in the record store checking those same crates over and over again waiting for the turntable to get free

what i can't understand at all is this romantisizing of breakin your back over carrying crates...i understand this if you got a disability of some sort but...lol try real ass work! you can hardly call carrying some 40kg boxes from the car to the club as a merit of some sort or "paying your dues". besides i haven't seen a single SSL where i live in and boy it definetely doesn't make the djs better

mmm...3 weeks til i'm gettin mine
bush 12:11 PM - 7 February, 2006
I never play records anymore so put them away, serato is so much better.
DJ Yaz 12:26 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
Not to generalize, but I've been in the scene long enough and met enough DJ's to know that the best, most dedicated, and knowledgable DJ's have been vinyl users.

I agree that used to be true. There were always those few guys that bought vinyl by the pound just so they looked hard core though. The same way you'll have crappy all digital djs that don't know where all the samples from today's hits came from. The only way to judge DJ's effectively now is to listen to their set.
DJ XTURNAL 12:35 PM - 7 February, 2006
i have over 10,000 records, not all hip hop, but dating back to the 70's down in my basement
ASO 12:35 PM - 7 February, 2006
I have around 900 vinyls, and I'll still continue buying them now that I own SSL - only the few here and there though that arent that expensive. However, I won't be spending nowhere near the same amount of £ that I used to spend. This was one of the main reason for buying SSL, to cut down the cost.
DJMark 1:09 PM - 7 February, 2006
Never counted, many thousands (both at home and in a storage space).

There have always been good hard-working DJ's in it for the love of music and lazy lowest-common-denominator DJ's in it for stupid reasons...the media used to reproduce music has absolutely nothing to do with it.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:48 PM - 7 February, 2006
i have been collecting since 1985
lesterdiamond 3:19 PM - 7 February, 2006
i own around 800 records
LoKey 3:23 PM - 7 February, 2006
The people who benefit the most from SSL are giggin' DJ's that are true vinyl heads. I never switched to CD's. I was vinyl 100% until I copped SSL last month. I don't wanna dickride, but it's the shit.

People that are threatened by newjacks with new technology are cats who are insecure about they own skills. If you are as nice as you think you are then you can rock a party with a Gemini starter kit way better that some newjack with all the latest shit. Why are you worried/concerned about "microwave DJ's?" The real cats will always prevail. I beleive that in the DJ world there's no such thing as cheating(except recording someone's mix and playing it at a gig). The ends justify the means. As long as you can rock a party, how you do it doesn't matter. Even with that gay iPod mixer, if you can rock out, more power to ya.

I will always collect vinyl, but now I don't have to waste time, money and space on records that'll be hot for a summer and I'll never use again. And I'm too lazy and don't have the time to take my unwanted vinyls to a store or even put them on ebay. So besides SSL being convenient for my gigs, it helps me cut the fat out of my real record collection. And now I'm tired of typing.
LoKey 3:30 PM - 7 February, 2006
The people who benefit the most from SSL are giggin' DJ's that are true vinyl heads. I never switched to CD's. I was vinyl 100% until I copped SSL last month. I don't wanna dickride, but it's the shit.

People that are threatened by newjacks with new technology are cats who are insecure about they own skills. If you are as nice as you think you are then you can rock a party with a Gemini starter kit way better that some newjack with all the latest shit. Why are you worried/concerned about "microwave DJ's?" The real cats will always prevail. I beleive that in the DJ world there's no such thing as cheating(except recording someone's mix and playing it at a gig). The ends justify the means. As long as you can rock a party, how you do it doesn't matter. Even with that gay iPod mixer, if you can rock out, more power to ya.

I will always collect vinyl, but now I don't have to waste time, money and space on records that'll be hot for a summer and I'll never use again. And I'm too lazy and don't have the time to take my unwanted vinyls to a store or even put them on ebay. So besides SSL being convenient for my gigs, it helps me cut the fat out of my real record collection. And now I'm tired of typing.
DeezNotes 3:32 PM - 7 February, 2006
What LoKey said made me think about that video of the 45 King rocking that "breaks" set on those little ass tables and mixer! That was hot.

On a side note: when you count your records, do you include doubles in your count? I put both records in one sleeve for most of my doubles (not the old stuff though). That's a lot of counting... I guess I could measure in crates. How many records can you stuff into one normal sized milk crate?
LoKey 3:35 PM - 7 February, 2006
ahh sorry bout the double post. By the way does anyone carry back up vinyl just incase something goes wrong? I think I'm gonna start bringing at least a record bag full of some sure fire floor fillers, just in case.
tig ol' bitties 3:35 PM - 7 February, 2006
I have not been Djing for too long, 7 months..I spent mad cheese on equipment and mad cheese on vinyl..got about 300 which is alot considering i bought the all singly for 6.99-17.99 so even at 6.99 thats about 2100$ in vinyl over 7 months...thats like 5% of my yearly salary, thats alot of damn money. I was fortunate enough to hear about Serato and thought wow if i just throw down 500 on this it will def save me in the long run money wise so i bought it and it has saved me money..why go out and buy a record thats hot right now when you can basically get it from any record pool or whatever for a fraction of the price?? I will always collect vinyl for the stuff that will always be good, but there is no way I am going to go out and buy LAFFY TAFFY on vinyl. I might as well give my money to the bum standing in front of the store, cuz i would feel much better then buying D4L on wax.

I am a newbie so i cant really put in my two cents, but when the digital age wasnt so fast and upcoming being a vinyl junky was the way to show your on your game, but the price of vinyl and the limited selection can only go so far now a days. DJing isnt about who has the most records or the dopest way to display all the records you have on your wall, (50% of them which you will probably never put a needle on again anyway) its about making and playing music, in order to help people have a better night and a good way to get females on your jock..hahaha nah jk but yeah its about the music and the people. to me at least.
djxatl 3:48 PM - 7 February, 2006
i gave away a lot of my records to my buddy who was starting out when i got ssl, i kept a couple hundred tho
tig ol' bitties 3:56 PM - 7 February, 2006
^^...thats ill, i wish i had some1 do that for me..Better watch tho i think that might constitute being an appliance..hahaha nah man thats ill.
yuri 4:09 PM - 7 February, 2006
My setup is as sterile as it gets.. thats the way I like it.

I sold about 200 records when I got FS 3-4 years ago, and just keep about 100 favorite records in a storage shelf in a corner of the room. Less mess is better for me.
DJ Jayzon 4:26 PM - 7 February, 2006
I guess I have around 5000-6000 records, been buying wax since 1992. What I love most with SSL is to just look through my shelves and find tracks that are dope but didn't get much play when I was strictly vinyl (for the simple reason of limited space in my crates & bags), nowadays it's so much easier to bring a wider variety of music.
I still like to bring a few crates and do a gig on vinyl every once in a while.
I still buy just as much vinyl as I used to (and even more CD's), it would be a shame to break a fine collection of vinyl just like that. I guess the fact that I put some pride in my collection makes me a vinyl junkie...

Out here in Sweden it seems like the DJ's that now are using SSL are all old vinyl junkies (and still is). The not so serious DJ's seem to still play their downloaded stuff from CD's.
DJEDE 4:59 PM - 7 February, 2006
Here is a simple fix to those DJs that dont like disconnecting their equipment everytime they have a gig.cgi.ebay.com
Cashless 4:59 PM - 7 February, 2006
I got like 5k right now... If all goes right, I was just given up another 5k yesterday. And I'm picking up another collection this weekend with about 2k worth.

Yo Rockwell, you violatin' straight up.

:realheadz:
nik39 5:02 PM - 7 February, 2006
Read here whay this advertised piece is not worth the money, click ->
scratchlive.net
sixxx 5:46 PM - 7 February, 2006
20K+

I've been buying (both diggin' and ordering) records since 1992 and I've been getting promo stuff since 1996. A few friends of mine own records stores so I get some vinyl off them from time to time.

Having all this vinyl doesn't make me a great DJ. Having gained knowledge while doing clubs, radio mixshows and private events is what makes me a great dj. Of course, I gotta give thanks to all those cats who I personally know who were kind enough to let me learn from them through sessions and what not.

and to djHSL who I quote:

Quote:
Vinyl is just a (dying) medium for the delivery of music.

Everything is a dying medium including CD's and DVD's. The production of these has reached a plateau. If it's not increasing, it's definitely dying just like ourselves; Once we're born.... We're already began to die.

Anyway, I heard the same thing about vinyl being left behind many years ago and look at it, still here. There are sooo many heads out there that will make sure it stays alive. It may not be like in its glory days, but it won't die - even if all the vinyl produced has nothing but a time code in it. ;)
DJBlisk 5:51 PM - 7 February, 2006
I love being a microwave DJ now. Lugging 3 crates of records to different cities the last 5 years sucked donkey balls.
djxatl 6:02 PM - 7 February, 2006
this might stir waters a bit but i dont think how much vinyl you have is a very good indicator. i cetrainly got tons and tons of promos that i have never played out because they simply suck, and to use those as an indicator to "how much of a dj i am" i think is nuts. not saying this to anyone in particular but just something to think about
prof. rockwell 6:51 PM - 7 February, 2006
OK guys, don't get all asshurt over a simple question. I wasn't implying that vinyl djs are more 'realer' than others. Look at my post, I asked a simple question - how many of yall got records, and how many do you have if you do?

and the follow up question: how many of yall decided to start DJing because technology now enables you to play digital files like a vinyl dj?

I come from an old school mindset, where DISK JOCKEY means you are actually jockeying disks - not digital files. That's just my own personal standard, if you are a good DJ, I don't really care how you do it.

Quote:
Am I less of a DJ for using digital media? No way ... in fact, I'm MORE of a DJ than your typical vinyl user because I can get closer to the tape-based editing and remixing of the early New York days than any vinyl user can ever imagine. I can chop up tracks, blend tracks, record over tracks ... all the stuff guys were doing with reel-to-reel to get around the very limitations imposed by vinyl.

It is time this elitist BS ended. I don't care if you use vinyl, that's your choice. But look carefully at your roots before you look down on those who care more about the music and its presentation than the medium on which it is recorded.

HSL - saying that people back in the day used tape based edits to overcome the limitations of vinyl? OK, that's true to a point, but that was BEFORE hip hop djing came onto the scene and showed folks how to do that stuff live with two copies of a record. Blends? You're saying you can't do blends with two records? ooof - better hit the workshed homie. And trust me, I've read and watched alot of history of DJing, and it all started from VINYL, or acetate, or whatever other minerals they used to make RECORDS. The Loft and the Paradise Garage celebrated DJs who found rare or forgotten RECORDS. Records were around before tape, before CD, and before MP3 - so maybe you're the one that needs to brush up on your history.
DJ Evil One 7:14 PM - 7 February, 2006
i've got 5,000 records plus.
anewsome 7:15 PM - 7 February, 2006
Every record I own fit into my record bag, along with my 2 SSL records and my 2 backup SSL records. Yes, I take them everywhere I go. I got rid of all my records back in 1998,.. and there was no way I could carry them all to a gig. That's why I'm glad I don't have them any more.

If that's not keeping it real, then me and my back are happily "un-real".

I roll to the gig with 30,000 tracks. Carrying 60,000 tracks to the gig is not gonna hurt my back any more. If my car gets broken into at the gig, I still have my tracks. If my house burns down, I still got my tracks. I never had any where near that kind of security and portability with my vinyl back in the day.

I keep hearing that vinyl is on the decline,.. I doubt it. These nostalgic cats will never let vinyl die. I've met enough of them to know they are ridiculously attached to their vinyls and there are a lot of them. I too hope at least one vinyl factory lasts forever, so we have a place to keep pumping out SSL vinyls!
DJ MDX 7:27 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
Every record I own fit into my record bag, along with my 2 SSL records and my 2 backup SSL records. Yes, I take them everywhere I go. I got rid of all my records back in 1998,.. and there was no way I could carry them all to a gig. That's why I'm glad I don't have them any more.

I roll to the gig with 30,000 tracks. Carrying 60,000 tracks to the gig is not gonna hurt my back any more. If my car gets broken into at the gig, I still have my tracks. If my house burns down, I still got my tracks. I never had any where near that kind of security and portability with my vinyl back in the day.

I keep hearing that vinyl is on the decline,.. I doubt it. These nostalgic cats will never let vinyl die. I've met enough of them to know they are ridiculously attached to their vinyls and there are a lot of them. I too hope at least one vinyl factory lasts forever, so we have a place to keep pumping out SSL vinyls!

LOL!!!

Ditto!!
DJ MDX 7:29 PM - 7 February, 2006
Oops hit the wrong button to fast.

I actually still own a shit load of records still.

ROTFF LMFAO !!!!!
tig ol' bitties 7:59 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:

Man, how can you get or think of 30000 tracks?? thats alot of damn music.
mister iLL 8:10 PM - 7 February, 2006
a little over 1500 records probably...never counted. i just know that they make me hate moving.
sixxx 8:13 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
a little over 1500 records probably...never counted. i just know that they make me hate moving.

tru dat
anewsome 8:16 PM - 7 February, 2006
Been buying CDs since record stores were 1% CDs and 99% LPs. I was at the Consumer Electronics show when the very first CD players were demonstrated,.. long before they were available to the public and even when they finally were, cheap ones were like $800. Anyway, I buy a few CDs a week as well as promo only subscriptions for urban radio, mainstream radio and a few others since 1995, plus ERG subscriptions and music i get from the labels. I don't rip everything to mp3 but about 5 years ago I started ripping entire CDs instead of just 1 or two tracks that I like from the CDs. It's the entire CD rips that puts all those tracks in my collection, even if I only play one or two songs from the CD.
misterstimulation 8:36 PM - 7 February, 2006
I own no records and don't intend to, but I'm a producer turned DJ (in training). PLUG: Remixes found in this forum:
scratchlive.net

While I blend pretty well b/c I've spun in the past with other peoples equipment (never having my own), I know that I have much to learn.. but thats what watching, listening, practicing and performing is all about.

I don't think its as simple as "I got SSL and mp3s.. now I can be a DJ too.." DJing, like any other art, requires one to have/improve two critical characteristics -> SKILL (blending/beat matching) and creativity (song selection/mixing) to say the least.

I've always wanted to do this.. but never purchased my own stuff b/c in the past records, crates.. etc.. It was just too much given my living space and/or budget... SSL doesn't make people instant DJ's in the same way music technology (protools, reason, or -sigh- FRUITY LOOPS/Garage band) doens't make everyone an instant producer.

However, all of these tools make the art more accessible to teh general public - nothing more. Its up to the individual to use these accessible tools as a starting point and blossom from there. ya know?

As for the records... Its not too critical these days... Case in point - I hang with a crew of DJ's that have been doing it for the past 20 years.. They now use SSL. They go to the club with SSL and maybe 20 - 30 records (keyword being maybe)... Thats it. I know they OWN way too many records given the amount of time they've been doing this pre-SSL... but they don't need to bring much these days... Only some "vinyl only" stuff that they don't have in mp3 format (yet). I know some of them don't even touch their vinyl at home anymore.. I guess given their target market and extensive mp3 library, they don't have to..

my 2 cents.
mr. stim.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:41 PM - 7 February, 2006
i have like around maybe 14 crates (started collecting since '81), they're all probably warped (stacked on top of each other in tha garage)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:42 PM - 7 February, 2006
not to mention all dem cds, all out of their original jewel cases probably all scratched and skippin :(
DJ GaFFle 9:42 PM - 7 February, 2006
This thread poses a good question/observation but you can't make an assumption based on pictures alone. I've got a wall full of wax and ALL of it is pre-'97 (5000-6000) records. I retired from DJ'ing in '97 and just got back into it October '05 only because my DJ buddy blessed me with 110G of mp3's. If it weren't for that, I would not have made the plunge...there were too many missed years of wax to catch up.
roctakon 11:15 PM - 7 February, 2006
Quote:
OK guys, don't get all asshurt over a simple question. I wasn't implying that vinyl djs are more 'realer' than others. Look at my post, I asked a simple question - how many of yall got records, and how many do you have if you do?

and the follow up question: how many of yall decided to start DJing because technology now enables you to play digital files like a vinyl dj?

I come from an old school mindset, where DISK JOCKEY means you are actually jockeying disks - not digital files. That's just my own personal standard, if you are a good DJ, I don't really care how you do it.

Quote:

HSL - saying that people back in the day used tape based edits to overcome the limitations of vinyl? OK, that's true to a point, but that was BEFORE hip hop djing came onto the scene and showed folks how to do that stuff live with two copies of a record. Blends? You're saying you can't do blends with two records? ooof - better hit the workshed homie. And trust me, I've read and watched alot of history of DJing, and it all started from VINYL, or acetate, or whatever other minerals they used to make RECORDS. The Loft and the Paradise Garage celebrated DJs who found rare or forgotten RECORDS. Records were around before tape, before CD, and before MP3 - so maybe you're the one that needs to brush up on your history.

You really dont know shit Prof....

Larry Levan used a ton of reel to reel shit for edits sound effects etc etc, Tee Scott was running doubles before "HIp Hop" djing came on the scene.

what my man said about the limitations of vinyl is right on.... Face facts serato gives you an edge over the typical vinyl user.

Who fucking cares about who has records, you are a corn ball funk 45 collector nerd who is on the dick of disco shit because it seems trendy.......
Im so sick of seeing your corny backpacker posts, go back to LA NY does not want you.......

This who has records pissing game is retarted, If I was djing on the radio I could accumulate a collection of ten or twenty thousand records in no time but they would all be shitty promos.

Having records dosent mean anything, it just means you have a bunch of records.

that shit you said about tape edits was retarted, people were doing those type of edits because, live with vinyl you cant do everyting you can with an edit......

Hip Hop djing came on the scene and showed people how? come on this is retarted..... What the hell does that mean? In Chicago Hardy, and Knuckles and the other djs were all playing tape edits as a major part of their sets, because in that kind of competitive and creative atmosphere it was important to do more than just, play the records, these guys wanted to out do eachother and they were constantly doing new edits and incorporating dum machines in their sets... The same type of shit was going on in NY also....

You are a west coast backpacker and I feel bad for the people who have deal with your ignorance, so yea I dont know shit about the beat junkies but I know about this shit and its clear you DO NOT........
prof. rockwell 2:29 AM - 8 February, 2006
oh roc - I love how you jump to conclusions on shit you know nothing about. Just cause I know about underground hip hop, doesn't mean I'm a backpacker. I'm glad you read "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" and "Love Saves The Day", good for you. I have too. Again, I never was dissing anyone who didn't have records, I was just asking because I didn't see any records in any of the setup pics. Pure curiosity.

You're sick of my corny backpaker posts? What, like all 3 of them? And nowhere have I mentioned any of the typical backpacker music. You're the one who keeps bringing it up. Man, you are just too easy to piss off. Why do you have so much hate? And for the record, my funk 45 collection is weak.

So my timeline was off by a year or so. Big whup. I read that shit a year ago so I don't remember all the fine details. Just because someone did something first, doesn't mean they did it better. What do you think they made those tape edits with? The master recordings? I don't think so. And you can't do everything live that you can do with a tape edit? Tell that to Grandmaster Flash. Tell that to Cut Chemist who recreated Flash's Adventure's on the Wheels of Steel, live on 4 turntables. Tell that to all the tag team DJs who use 4 turntables to rock a party all night - house AND hip hop DJs.

the only thing this has proven is that we are both fully capable of spewing shit out of our mouths. The only difference is you have to stoop to name calling, insults and bravado.

Maybe you should come down from your pedastal and get out of the club more often. Maybe you hate hip hop and battle DJs so much because you are a failed one. That's ok, I'm a failed battle DJ too, but I don't hate them because of it. I admire their dedication. And no matter how much you try to clown or dis me, I still hope that you will find happiness and release all that hatred you have in you.

Hey, maybe we should hang out sometime and we can teach each other what we know so we'll both be better DJs?
anewsome 7:06 AM - 8 February, 2006
wtf is a backpaker? i've been djing since 1985 and i have no idea what you cats are talking about.

@prof & @roc - i have no idea what you cats are beefin' about. but it seems pretty stupid to me.

this is not a joke.
hologram 7:22 AM - 8 February, 2006
I never counted but over 10K.
I've been in record pools since 88 and collecting since 84.
Yall every go to penny lane?
All having a lot of records ever did was make a mess.
One cool thing now is my niece will have somewhere to go dig for vinyl for free, lol.

I've seen DJ's bring one or two crates to a party and rock the ^&*^ out of it for hours. It's the person behind the tools not the tools or the medium that make the DJ.

Nice question though.
nik39 11:48 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
the only thing this has proven is that we are both fully capable of spewing shit out of our mouths. The only difference is you have to stoop to name calling, insults and bravado.

Big up.

Quote:
wtf is a backpaker?

Taken from www.urbandictionary.com <- click.

Quote:
Backpacker is based on a fashion style popular in the mid to late 90s where people involved in hip-hop wore large backpacks. Originated by graf writers who kept all their cans and nozzles in the packs, the style caught on quick with the suburbanites and rock kids who didn't want to stray too far from their style but still wanted to have a hip-hop flava.

People use it now as a derogatory term for nerd-rappers, hippy-hoppers, and other fringe hip-hop followers, referencing the fact most of the listeners are suburbanites buying or co-opting into a certain style.

There are other explanations in that provide link.
roctakon 12:01 PM - 8 February, 2006
Sorry man I just like to talk a little shit....

Im not a failed battle dj because I won enough money from dj battles to move to NY and advance my carrear. Now I dj four or five nights a week, at some of the cities top clubs, if thats failed well shit i dont know....

I love hip hop and owe it so much, I just get frustruated, because its hard when your not really so in to the commercial shit but at the same time the underground seems just as corny...

I dont know I just agree with what that guy said DJHSL said

Yea you did a good job calling me out about the books and shit but I was really inspired by what I read, these guys were doing anything they could to make their performance as a dj more memorable, doing exclusive remixes, playing drum machines etc etc. I was bummed for a while because I hated to play stuff off cd and was limited by vinyl. only 1 club i worked at then had 3 tables and I masterded that....
So when serato came along I was really excited, I think my man DJHSL and I were thinking the same things. Im just happy because when you hear me play, you are gonna hear mixes and tracks that are exclusive to me.

Somthing like Cut Chemist doing the flash thing is cool but doing a well practiced 8 minn routine with 4 tables is a lot different than, djing in a club with two turntables and records, serato takes that and maxamizes what you can do with two tables.......

I just think you jumped on my mans back when if you look at it with serato you really can do stuff that is not possble on a regular dj setup...

And the whole reason people were doing tape edits, well in to the 80s i might add long after "Hip Hop style" djing had been introduced, was because using only 2 turntables and records is limiting. People didnt stop doing tape edits because hip hop djing came along they stoped because technology improved.

Ok sure with unlimited people and unlimited turntables you can do anything live with vinyl that u can do with serato, but I mean come on?????

And as far as us hanging out if you want to you can start carrying my serato and setting it up for me.......
Everybody starts somewhere, Its the new "carrying records", you can set up my serato, and open up for me............
Free Drinks?
Meet Girls?

In the end we just have different taste, Im in to my own shit, the commercial club world and your in to making beats stuff, whatever, if it wasent for the serato forum we would have never crossed paths unless I was harssing you at the turntable lab store, (ive been known to hang in there and talk a little shit now and again....) so we have a place on the web to agree or disagree so thats dope... so peace to you or whatever save the drama for osama....
prof. rockwell 1:51 PM - 8 February, 2006
Hey roc,

it's all good, I enjoy a good debate as much as the next guy, as long as we can keep it civil. But please stop assuming I'm some newbie who doesn't know anything. I got gigs, and I don't need to be your record boy. Isn't that what cute girls are for?

Sure, I may be a hiphop guy at heart, but I've known for a long time that all this DJ stuff - house, techno, hiphop, mashup, whatever - all derived from the loft/garage/disco scene.

And we have crossed paths at TTL, I'm just lowkey.

Hologram - Penny Lane? Are you in LA? if so, yeah, I used to go to Penny Lane, both the West LA and the Venice Beach one. There was a hot little second hand store around the corner from the Venice beach one that a dude used to sell records out of back in the day - dude had mad good records and I learned a lot from that guy.
Dj Medley 2:51 PM - 8 February, 2006
I think I'm turning into a "microwave dj"...

I mean i have shit loads of vinyl and still can stop buying. I still carry a crate or two to gigs, but man, I can't get enough of this serato. I like playing by own cuts of songs. I like making playlists and sorting songs at the click of a button. I like seeing the beat. I like having 10,000 songs with me, just incase. I like having doubles of everything. And you still get that feeling of vinyl under your fingers. Just sucks how every dj can have any song, not just the good, dedicated diggers.

So yeah, I guess I'm a "microwave dj" oh well.
djrocket 5:55 PM - 8 February, 2006
Let's just say I started collecting vinyl since 1983. At one point I had so many records I could fill half a room top to bottom/wall to wall with them, and I did. I tell you they were a pain to move after we bought our house. Soon after we had our first baby I had to get rid of most of them. Well I have a small fraction of what I had. I have aprox 950-1000 records. I only kept what I considered to be the best I owned. A friend took the rest. I hated to see them go, but was glad at the same time.
BTW they were still a pain when it came time to move to a bigger house. SSL rules
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:35 PM - 8 February, 2006
yo rocket, does your friend still live nearby?
roctakon 6:47 PM - 8 February, 2006
Ha HA I know you dont wanna carry my records, I'm was just being an asshole.... LOL

Anyway its all love, no drama, just like talking that shit...
prof. rockwell 6:54 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Ha HA I know you dont wanna carry my records, I'm was just being an asshole.... LOL

hehe, I feel all warm and fuzzy!
sixxx 7:02 PM - 8 February, 2006
Btw, if you are a DJ and like to be called a jukebox as well: Bend over and let me stick this powercord up your ass. Hey, all jukeboxes need power... right?

ha!
roctakon 7:06 PM - 8 February, 2006
AYYYYY YOOOOO
djrocket 7:10 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
yo rocket, does your friend still live nearby?

Nah, he had the same prob most ended in the trash
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:59 PM - 8 February, 2006
actually, mine is battery powered... one AAAA size :)
nik39 9:03 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Btw, if you are a DJ and like to be called a jukebox as well: Bend over and let me stick this powercord up your ass. Hey, all jukeboxes need power... right?

ha!

ROTLF :)))
djrocket 9:19 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:

I know, I feel the love.. Specially from sixxx
I must admit that was pretty funny sixxx
hologram 10:34 PM - 8 February, 2006
I was in LA up till about 88. After that I was here there every where. Came back to LA twice over th next 15 years but Sin city is my home now and I'm starting all over. It's nice to climb the hill a second time already knowing where the land mines are. When I lived in Santa Barbara I would drive back to LA just to go dig at penny lane.
DJ Slade 3:45 AM - 9 February, 2006
Quote:
I have a huge collection of records, 90% of it labeled with BPM, so yeah, I was and still am, a vinyl enthusiast/collector. Most DJ's I know who have SSL are also vinyl heads. I always tell people, I'm really glad SSL wasn't around when I began spinning, because lugging around crates, among other things, has made me appreciate Serato that much more.

djHSL, very good point on the elitist thing, because I'll admit, I was an elitist when it came to using vinyl, and well, I still am to a degree (now I feel SSL with vinyl is the way to go). I still have a hard time really respecting CD DJ's. It really has little to do with the ability to scratch (although CDJ's are out now, but still). It's really just to do with what I've seen over the years, and 90% of CD DJ's often don't know what they're doing or have minimal musical knowledge. Not to generalize, but I've been in the scene long enough and met enough DJ's to know that the best, most dedicated, and knowledgable DJ's have been vinyl users. But I do know what you're saying about being elitist about it, that's not the way to go, gotta be open-minded.

This is not an attack on you, so please don't take it that way:

Why can't you respect CD DJs? To me, DJing is about having a good time and showing the crowd you're playing for a good time. As stated earlier, the way you deliver the music to the crowd (via vinyl, cd, etc) really is irrelevant.

Your statement about the CD DJs not knowing what they're talking about holds little to no water. They may not be the most knowledgeable of all the genres, but in my experience they're very knowledgeable about the genres they play.

Again, I'm not attacking you, just trying to understand where you're coming from.
DJ BIS 3:23 PM - 26 February, 2006
Whoah, another typical CD vs. Vinyl thread. Surprise Surprise.
sixxx 7:29 PM - 26 February, 2006
Yeah. This is an old thread that just got bumped thanks to you. SURPRISE SURPRISE! :P
fresh.dipt 8:06 PM - 26 February, 2006
about 3000 myself

any recommendations on how to record those bitches? my recordings are inconsistent....
DJ BIS 10:41 PM - 26 February, 2006
Quote:
Yeah. This is an old thread that just got bumped thanks to you. SURPRISE SURPRISE! :P

Oh boy. Idiot me.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:46 AM - 1 November, 2006
Diamond Duckets 11:18 PM - 1 November, 2006
Quote:

People that are threatened by newjacks with new technology are cats who are insecure about they own skills. If you are as nice as you think you are then you can rock a party with a Gemini starter kit way better that some newjack with all the latest shit. Why are you worried/concerned about "microwave DJ's?" The real cats will always prevail.

I agree! I understand that Serato opened the flood gates by eliminating the prerequisite of having vinyl but mark my words, we will see some of the sickest dj's ever emerge in the next five years because of this invention. This is because the "pro" dj's will be forced to step up their skills if they want to keep their jobs and distinguish themselves from the "microwavers". With the barriers to entry eliminated, more people then ever will be djing forcing the bar to be progressively raised. Call it survival of the dopest.

On another note, when consumer targeted computerized beatmaking software came out, you never heard any producers calling newcomers who used it "microwave producers" because they didn't purchase an MPC. These individuals were confident with their talent even when any Joe was given the opportunity to do their job. On a side note, 9th Wonder used Fruity Loops, sold OTC for a couple hundred bucks, to create "Threat" on Jay-Z's Black Album which completely legitamizes the program.

As mentioned above, audiences don't really care if your spinning a dredle. They just want to hear an excellent show. If the thought of some rookie with Serato taking your job scares you, I suggest you take it back to your bedroom and pick up some new skills.
nik39 11:37 PM - 1 November, 2006
Quote:
I agree! I understand that Serato opened the flood gates by eliminating the prerequisite of having vinyl but mark my words, we will see some of the sickest dj's ever emerge in the next five years because of this invention. This is because the "pro" dj's will be forced to step up their skills if they want to keep their jobs and distinguish themselves from the "microwavers". With the barriers to entry eliminated, more people then ever will be djing forcing the bar to be progressively raised. Call it survival of the dopest.

Nice vision.
sweetL 11:42 AM - 12 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Nice vision.

Preach.

Plus, youll probably see some guys come up who never had enough money to buy all the vinyl... naturally talented djs.