DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Grade my mix(es) from a scale of 1-10

TjDaDj 3:49 AM - 23 May, 2013
Please grade me. I'm just starting and need some tips. As you can see by the title these are my first mixes. Don't hurt my feelings. Jk be honest but polite please. Tell me what I did well and what I need to work on.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't grade the camera work or my small a** room setting for the video I already know it's sh*tty (just grade the mix itself):
Watchwww.youtube.com
djaction 4:50 AM - 23 May, 2013
DJBlisk 4:51 AM - 23 May, 2013
djaction 4:52 AM - 23 May, 2013
@TJ Why don't we start with what YOU think of the mixes? Where/what are the parts you think are fucking awful/bad/whatever? What do you think the strong points (if any) are?
djaction 4:53 AM - 23 May, 2013
also this is from your facebook page:

"$35/hr for the first 4 hrs. then up to $40 for every extra hour. HMU if you want a Pro DJ that knows when and how to do things. I will go anywhere within a 3 hour radius of Fullerton Fri.-Sun. (price may vary due to mileage to get to location)"

...hmm.
djaction 4:53 AM - 23 May, 2013
release the hounds.
StevenWayne 4:56 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
release the hounds.

lol
DJRemixEnt 4:57 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Pro DJ that knows when and how to do things.

Watchwww.youtube.com
TjDaDj 5:05 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
@TJ Why don't we start with what YOU think of the mixes? Where/what are the parts you think are fucking awful/bad/whatever? What do you think the strong points (if any) are?

GOD DAMN CAN I EVER GET SOME "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM AROUND HERE?! IM ONLY 17 AND JUST STARTED! I HOPE YOU WERE THIS GOOD WHEN YOU JUST STARTED AND CAN ACTUALLY BACK IT UP! THIS ISNT EVEN MY FOCUS- IM ONLY DOING THIS TO GET THROUGH COLLEGE- GOING TO A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY TO BE A DOCTOR DAMN HATER
TjDaDj 5:06 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

-@DjRemix lol I thought we were friends
djaction 5:10 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

GOD DAMN CAN I EVER GET SOME "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM AROUND HERE?! IM ONLY 17 AND JUST STARTED! I HOPE YOU WERE THIS GOOD WHEN YOU JUST STARTED AND CAN ACTUALLY BACK IT UP! THIS ISNT EVEN MY FOCUS- IM ONLY DOING THIS TO GET THROUGH COLLEGE- GOING TO A PRIVATE UNIVERSITY TO BE A DOCTOR DAMN HATER

Yep. Answered as expected. You'll note I did not make any comment on your mix at all. I simply asked YOU to comment on your own mix to see what you think of it.
djaction 5:12 AM - 23 May, 2013
FYI, Congrats on going to a Private University to be a doctor. It's a much more lucrative field than DJ'ing.

And again thanks for calling me a "hater" when I simply asked what you thought of your own mix.
djaction 5:14 AM - 23 May, 2013
Also if you're looking to make money to get through college I suggest bartending. It has much more potential for making money and imo is much easier to pickup/learn.
DJRemixEnt 5:14 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

-@DjRemix lol I thought we were friends

you pm'd me askin for advice, and i gave you some good advice to go practice and learn the basics... and then you go and post all this...lol... you dug your own grave bruh.

serato.com
serato.com
dj_soo 5:15 AM - 23 May, 2013
When I started I was terrible and I knew it. you know how? i loved djing even before I started. I listened to sets, i went to shows, I listened to the music. And this was long before youtube and google and the hours upon hours upon hours of stuff that's available for free and easily found online.

What I didn't do was post my terrible mixes online begging other people to tell me why I sucked because I already knew. I sat in my bedroom and practiced. And practiced. And recorded. And listened. And identified what was going wrong. And then I worked on those things for hours. And then practiced some more.

If you honestly can't identify - on your own - what your problems are on that really really really obviously bad mix, then perhaps you're not cut out for Djing. Not everyone is able to do it.
DJRemixEnt 5:16 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

replygif.net
djaction 5:17 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

If you honestly can't identify - on your own - what your problems are on that really really really obviously bad mix, then perhaps you're not cut out for Djing. Not everyone is able to do it.

[electronic fist bump]

Well said and exactly why I asked him to post up what he thinks of the mix.
djaction 5:17 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

[electronic fist bump]

Well said and exactly why I asked him to post up what he thinks of the mix.
Rdent 5:20 AM - 23 May, 2013
Hey bro just took a min and listen a bit... to be honest... it is hard to listen to it. One the cam sound is terrible so hard for me to really say, since i can't hear it well. and although most comments above seem harsh, don't worry man just keep doing your thing and just check out Djs you like and by doing so you will learn tons. also remember that sometimes less is more (kinda notice you turning nobs/pushing buttons) im guessing effects and what not.
DJ Unique 5:23 AM - 23 May, 2013
No bueno at all.
Zero blending skills.
Nice strobe lights, don't get a seizure.

You need to find a fellow DJ to show you exactly how blend.
Try dancing to your mixes especially the parts where you are blending 2 songs.
If your body can't follow a steady beat then you are doing it wrong.

DON'T POST ANY MORE VIDEOS ON HERE UNTIL A FELLOW DJ SAYS YOU ARE READY.
You need a shitload of practice.
DJRemixEnt 5:25 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
CAN I EVER GET SOME "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM AROUND HERE

1) nobody is gonna baby your ass...

2) YOU CAME HERE we didnt come to your fuckin house, force you to put up a shitty attempted mix on youtube, post on facebook that you are a pro that works for $20/hr, post 2 threads on Serato forums putting all the attention on yourself as a dumbass who wants a free ticket to candyland.

3) we have been completely honest with you

4) if you want somebody to goo goo ga ga baby talk to you, then go here
-----> www.virtualdj.com
DJ Reflex 5:26 AM - 23 May, 2013
Check out Dance Factory Radio on Friday and Sat nights. I'm sure where ever you are you can catch it on the web. Professional DJs, good mixes, songs that blend well together, etc...

You will do well to listen to the pros BEFORE you put out bad mixes like this. Like the guys above said, listen to your own mix and compare it to something good. You will hear your faults and work to fix them. Took me many'a cassette tape to figure out what I was doing wrong... and then eventually RIGHT.

Keep practicing before you release another train-wreck mix on youtube.
DJRemixEnt 5:32 AM - 23 May, 2013
when you pm'd me, i gave you some good advice without bein a dick about it:
Quote:
there's alot to learn about djing... the first thing you want to learn is learning the structures of songs, beats per minute, counts, bars...etc. then you wanna move onto basic beatmatching and phrasing.

here's a good vid to get you started: Watchwww.youtube.com

there is alot of info and knowledge on this forum from veteran dj's. so make sure you take time to read through the forum, any question that you might have, has probably been asked before so take the time to look.

and you have the nerve to wanna post in all CAPS and wine about how your only 17 and call someone a hater? who the fuck died and made you fuckin King?
Rdent 5:32 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
CAN I EVER GET SOME "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM AROUND HERE

1) nobody is gonna baby your ass...

2) YOU CAME HERE we didnt come to your fuckin house, force you to put up a shitty attempted mix on youtube, post on facebook that you are a pro that works for $20/hr, post 2 threads on Serato forums putting all the attention on yourself as a dumbass who wants a free ticket to candyland.

3) we have been completely honest with you

4) if you want somebody to goo goo ga ga baby talk to you, then go here
-----> www.virtualdj.com

I agree with you on most part of your comment, but isn't it a bit harsh he just asked for help? i understand that perhaps maybe he does want a shortcut but still pointing him in the right direction would have been nicer?

and i don't know about VDJ being the goo goo ga ga talk to you forum to lean to... however they do offer help when asked.

actually they have a great read on mixing which can be very beneficial to beginner Djs who are looking to improve/hone there respective skills

www.virtualdj.com <<<< it is a good read
TjDaDj 5:34 AM - 23 May, 2013
Thanks for the lecture guys... I don't think I'll be posting anytime soon... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GUYS FOCUS ON BASHING RATHER THAN HELPING. arrogant much? thanks Rdent
Rdent 5:34 AM - 23 May, 2013
DJRemixEnt never mind i see you had a change of heart lol.... between i am not much of a fan of EllaSkins he seems so boring.
djaction 5:36 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That ='s bashing to this dude. lol. The 'participation trophy' generation strikes again.
DJRemixEnt 5:38 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
but isn't it a bit harsh he just asked for help?

its one thing to ask for help, and humbly ask for critiqing.

but when you are given honest, constructive critism:
Quote:

and you come back posting in all caps and callin someone a hater:
Quote:
when they are clearly asking you an honest question and telling the truth...

then the kid gets what coming.
DJRemixEnt 5:38 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
The 'participation trophy' generation strikes again.

^ this
DJ Unique 5:39 AM - 23 May, 2013
No one started bashing you until you got upset for a non-positive review of your mixes.
Since you are in Fullerton, I'm sure you can find a bunch of fellow DJ's that can show you some basics in DJing.
DJRemixEnt 5:42 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
DJRemixEnt never mind i see you had a change of heart lol

i was actually nice to the dude at first, i told him his mix was awful in the other thread.

then he pm's me askin for advice, so i gave him some decent advice, and he turns around and posts all that other bullshit. and then comes at me like im his friend...lol

thats y i gotta stop bein nice to mofos... takin my kindness for weakness...lmao
TjDaDj 5:43 AM - 23 May, 2013
^ @DJ Unique. I dont appreciate the first five replies on this page and tell me who started being a smart ass- djaction? And DJRemix I want insight from more than just you. I appreciate your tips. But really can we all just get along? This is a forum for all djs. Its not your house and not mine.
Rdent 5:47 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

i was actually nice to the dude at first, i told him his mix was awful in the other thread.

then he pm's me askin for advice, so i gave him some decent advice, and he turns around and posts all that other bullshit. and then comes at me like im his friend...lol

thats y i gotta stop bein nice to mofos... takin my kindness for weakness...lmao

See i was not aware of that... and i understand what you are saying... what can i tell you... just can't help some folks, they don't listen lol
djaction 5:47 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^ @DJ Unique. I dont appreciate the first five replies on this page and tell me who started being a smart ass- djaction? And DJRemix I want insight from more than just you. I appreciate your tips. But really can we all just get along? This is a forum for all djs. Its not your house and not mine.

Me asking you to tell us what you think of your own mix is bashing? Please explain that. When starting out 'what you think of your own mix' is probably one of the most important things.
DJRemixEnt 5:48 AM - 23 May, 2013
so your upset because, YOU ask for criticism... then when you get criticized, you get all pissy?

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Reflex 5:48 AM - 23 May, 2013
TjDaDj - Got to have a bit of thick skin to post stuff here that is sub-par.

You CAN and WILL get good advice, but you must also learn to sort through the blunt responses. We will call it like we see (or hear) it and offer great advice when we can. Take it with a grain of salt, but heed the advice. Throw another mix on youtube in a month or so, but practice first! Critique your own sets first and don't just rely on your friends to tell you how good you are. They will puff up your ego like a balloon. Listen to the pros!
djaction 5:48 AM - 23 May, 2013
And hell yeah I became negative once I saw you charge '$35/hr' but that's not the point here. Your little capslock rant was directed at my comment asking you to talk about your own mix.
DJRemixEnt 5:49 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See i was not aware of that... and i understand what you are saying... what can i tell you... just can't help some folks, they don't listen lol

tru tru...lol
Rdent 5:49 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Me asking you to tell us what you think of your own mix is bashing? Please explain that. When starting out 'what you think of your own mix' is probably one of the most important things.

i actually have to agree with that one... self critic is something you should do... there is a saying. "have to help you self before you help others"
DJRemixEnt 5:50 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
don't just rely on your friends to tell you how good you are. They will puff up your ego like a balloon

^ this
DJ Unique 5:52 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

You need to man up and be able take negative criticism. The real truth is that on a scale from 1-10, your mix is really truly a 1. You need to practice a lot based on what I heard on your mixes.

We are not being harsh, we are being honest.

This is the best advice for you right here.

Quote:
there's alot to learn about djing... the first thing you want to learn is learning the structures of songs, beats per minute, counts, bars...etc. then you wanna move onto basic beatmatching and phrasing.

here's a good vid to get you started: Watchwww.youtube.com

there is alot of info and knowledge on this forum from veteran dj's. so make sure you take time to read through the forum, any question that you might have, has probably been asked before so take the time to look.
Jesus Christ 5:53 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Thanks for the lecture guys... I don't think I'll be posting anytime soon... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GUYS FOCUS ON BASHING RATHER THAN HELPING. arrogant much? thanks Rdent

Feel entitled much? Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit! You asked us to grade you...

Quote:
Please grade me. I'm just starting and need some tips. As you can see by the title these are my first mixes. Don't hurt my feelings. Jk be honest but polite please. Tell me what I did well and what I need to work on.

Then when the first 5 replies state that your mix sucked donkey balls, you call us HATERS? You call THAT hating? HAHAHAHAH... you must be new around here. THIS is what happens to 17 year-olds that come in here with an air of entitlement: serato.com
TjDaDj 5:53 AM - 23 May, 2013
^Exactly why I posted here and on youtube. Really guys I need to go to a club or class. If you don't know know you know nigga lol. Thx :)
djaction 5:54 AM - 23 May, 2013
DJRemixEnt 5:56 AM - 23 May, 2013
TjDaDj 5:57 AM - 23 May, 2013
^ Im still getting paid and having fun even though i "suck" lol. How does that make you guys feel? hahaha
dj_soo 5:58 AM - 23 May, 2013
I'm not sure what you want. Your mix sucked - like really bad. We aren't your friends or your mommy and daddy and tell you that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

The thing is, when the problems are SO bad with that mix, *you* have to be able to identify what's wrong with your mix before anyone else can help you. If you think it's perfectly fine and can't hear the problems, then you have bigger problems than just a bunch of dudes on the Internet not sugar coating their opinions.

Do you even listen to other djs? Other mixes? Anything having to do with Djing? Cause it sure doesnt sound like it.
DJ Unique 5:58 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^Exactly why I posted here and on youtube. Really guys I need to go to a club or class. If you don't know know you know nigga lol. Thx :)

????
We didn't know.... but now we do.

By the way.... for now I think you should change your FB bio a bit.
Quote:
Biography
Here to serve the best forget about the rest!
dj_soo 5:59 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^ Im still getting paid and having fun even though i "suck" lol. How does that make you guys feel? hahaha

Makes me feel really really really bad for the people that are dumb enough to cough up money for your undercutting ass.
TjDaDj 6:04 AM - 23 May, 2013
^If you think I'm bad you should see what most people do- pandora and laptop nothing else. For the most part I don't mix my songs. The ones in my vid I didn't charge people. Dj Soo why is this riling you up so much? I want to do this for a long time. I will get better. trust. I'm just looking for direction. Are you telling me that if you were my age and had access to the internet you wouldn't do the same? And yes I do watch dj videos fyi. But seeing isn't doing. I look up to you guys *sniff sniff*
djaction 6:04 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

You couldn't pay me $35/minute to listen to another one of your mixes. But hey, you're getting a whole $35/hour to do whatever it is you do. Just goes to show there are some cheap (and deaf) ass people out there. Like I said before, I highly recommend trying out bartending instead. You'll make a lot more money and it's easier to pickup.
ninos 6:05 AM - 23 May, 2013
Here we go again. At about a 4 need to bump it up to a 10. Lets go guys!!
the_black_one 6:06 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Here we go again. At about a 4 need to bump it up to a 10. Lets go guys!!

hahahahaha
TjDaDj 6:10 AM - 23 May, 2013
Not quite old enough to bartend. Plus I love djing and most of my "gigs" are for family parties I would be at anyway. -So Why not earn some money while at it. You won't change my love for music and djing. Simply put. I will get better (invested too much).
Jesus Christ 6:10 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

$40 an hour is getting paid??? You have NO idea what getting paid is punk!

I know what your problem is. You have no clue what you're doing. You have no idea what a DJ is SUPPOSED to sound like. You're the new generation of the faux DJ that got DJ equipment as a Christmas present and you have no idea why, but you know that you want your friends to thing you're a DJ. Not because you love music. Not because you have a love for the art. Not because you heard a DJ play and it moved you. But because you think that being a DJ will make you popular. If you REALLY loved DJing, you would have been mortified after viewing that video WAY before posting it on Youtube, then posting the link here. You would have deleted any evidence of that mix EVER existing before anyone else got a chance to see/hear it. So... you don't DESERVE our help, in my opinion. You haven't earned it. Lock yourself in your "studio/bedroom" for a year and learn the fundamentals of mixing before you ever let one of your mixes leave the confines of your 4 walls. You should then listen to your final mix and honestly tell yourself that it's good... Then, and only then, should you let ONE person that you respect listen to it. Then 2... three... etc. Before posting that abortion on Youtube.

And still... 20 years from now, you will listen to that mix and be embarrassed that you ever recorded it. You know how I know? I've been a DJ since your parents were kids.

I drop $35 an hour in loose change. Get your head on straight!
djaction 6:11 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Are you telling me that if you were my age and had access to the internet you wouldn't do the same? And yes I do watch dj videos fyi. But seeing isn't doing. I look up to you guys *sniff sniff*

Correct. For starters you should recognize that these mixes are absolute utter shit. It'd actually be more enjoyable to listen to songs played to the end in an ITUNES playlist then whatever is going on in those videos. If you really could recognize how bad these mixes are I don't think you ever would have posted them on here. They aren't even worthy of any sort of criticism.

Want some advice if you're really going to stick with this and not try bartending instead? Lose the ego completely. Just throw it in the trash right now. Learn song structure basics and then learn to beatmatch. Spend as much waking time as you can trying to learn it. Practice for months. Practice till you're fucking sick of it and want to quit. Hell maybe you will quit and bartend instead. But maybe you won't. Listen to mixes where songs are beatmatched. Try to reproduce that on your own. When you finally have something that remotely resembles something you look up, then maybe you can post it up for some criticism.
djaction 6:12 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
If you REALLY loved DJing, you would have been mortified after viewing that video WAY before posting it on Youtube, then posting the link here. You would have deleted any evidence of that mix EVER existing before anyone else got a chance to see/hear it.

That post deserves a highfive.
DJRemixEnt 6:17 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I know what your problem is. You have no clue what you're doing. You have no idea what a DJ is SUPPOSED to sound like. You're the new generation of the faux DJ that got DJ equipment as a Christmas present and you have no idea why, but you know that you want your friends to thing you're a DJ. Not because you love music. Not because you have a love for the art. Not because you heard a DJ play and it moved you. But because you think that being a DJ will make you popular. If you REALLY loved DJing, you would have been mortified after viewing that video WAY before posting it on Youtube, then posting the link here. You would have deleted any evidence of that mix EVER existing before anyone else got a chance to see/hear it. So... you don't DESERVE our help, in my opinion. You haven't earned it. Lock yourself in your "studio/bedroom" for a year and learn the fundamentals of mixing before you ever let one of your mixes leave the confines of your 4 walls. You should then listen to your final mix and honestly tell yourself that it's good... Then, and only then, should you let ONE person that you respect listen to it. Then 2... three... etc. Before posting that abortion on Youtube.

And still... 20 years from now, you will listen to that mix and be embarrassed that you ever recorded it. You know how I know? I've been a DJ since your parents were kids.

^and ya said it so well!
TjDaDj 6:17 AM - 23 May, 2013
^you both have it twisted Jesus Christ. I have loved and always will love music. Most of the music I like isn't main stream. I dont want to be popular. I want to start this business because I enjoy it. I dont care if people criticize me right now because i know that you guys are right! Thats why i posted this here. If I had an ego I wouldnt admit that it sucks right here and now. Why should I be embarrassed? Ima have to learn somehow. embarrassment causes people to give up. why should i be embarrassed? im a BEGINNER. But now that I really know how bad it is I will post probly months- or even a year from now. happy?
DJ Reflex 6:21 AM - 23 May, 2013
Ok, nuff said for one night kid. This could go on 'till dawn. Get some sleep and return in the morning.

Remove the video from youtube, chill out for a couple days, practice your mixes, and make a strong showing in the future.
dj_soo 6:21 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That... that was beautiful
DJRemixEnt 6:21 AM - 23 May, 2013
GO PRACTICE!!!! NOW!!!!
djaction 6:22 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
If I had an ego I wouldnt admit that it sucks right here and now. Why should I be embarrassed? Ima have to learn somehow. embarrassment causes people to give up. why should i be embarrassed? im a BEGINNER. But now that I really know how bad it is I will post probly months- or even a year from now. happy?

You're full of it.

You do have an inflated delusional ego otherwise you wouldn't have this on your facebook:

Quote:
$35/hr for the first 4 hrs. then up to $40 for every extra hour. HMU if you want a Pro DJ that knows when and how to do things.

And if you really recognized how bad you are you wouldn't dare "spin" out in public for pay or for free.
TjDaDj 6:23 AM - 23 May, 2013
lol im doing hw. but do i really have to take down the videos? itll give me nostalgia :) I really do appreciate you guys. You all remind me of my old man haha. I think I have the potential I just need to keep honest guys like you close :)
djaction 6:24 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
I think I have the potential

Based on what evidence?
TjDaDj 6:25 AM - 23 May, 2013
^^ it was all talk. at parties I dont mix- djaction. do u understand? I play the songs and thats it. i mix by myself for reception and obviously it wasnt good. but i accept that. now i can only do one thing- practice!
DJRemixEnt 6:35 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
i mix by myself

i didnt see any mixing all i saw/heard was: themoderatevoice.com

Quote:
at parties I dont mix...I play the songs and thats it
thats why it doesnt make sense to pay you money when all they have to do is plug in one of these: images.wikia.com
DJ Unique 6:37 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^^ it was all talk. at parties I dont mix- djaction. do u understand? I play the songs and thats it. i mix by myself for reception and obviously it wasnt good. but i accept that. now i can only do one thing- practice!

Yes..... practice a lot.
Stay humble and don't get upset by negative criticism.
the_black_one 6:39 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yes..... practice a lot.

you suck !!!!!!!!!!!
DJ Unique 6:42 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes..... practice a lot.

you suck !!!!!!!!!!!

HaHaHa...
TjDaDj 6:43 AM - 23 May, 2013
I only get upset when people are disrespectful to me- case in point djaction -_- And I am very humble. I go to a school full of asians knowing that they probably hate my guts because of my color but I treat them with respect. I've never been in a fist fight, had a detention, or been involved in hs drama. In fact this is the biggest drama i've had this year lol. I just realized right now how really bad i am but hey all i can do is try :)
djaction 6:45 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
I only get upset when people are disrespectful to me- case in point djaction -_- And I am very humble. I go to a school full of asians knowing that they probably hate my guts because of my color but I treat them with respect. I've never been in a fist fight, had a detention, or been involved in hs drama. In fact this is the biggest drama i've had this year lol. I just realized right now how really bad i am but hey all i can do is try :)

Advertising DJ services as a "PRO DJ" and undercutting for $35/hour is not fucking humble.

It's fucking disrespectful to "PRO DJs" and anyone that loves this art or actually makes a decent living doing this.
TjDaDj 6:45 AM - 23 May, 2013
guys you might think im pissed right now but really im not. im very chill. especially the videos of the hounds OMG I SHOWED MY MOM AND WE CRACKED UP. Very clever. Better than being rick rolled
djaction 6:45 AM - 23 May, 2013
correction: Advertising your services as a "PRO DJ"
TjDaDj 6:46 AM - 23 May, 2013
^^haha dj action i just said it was hype. why are you so serious about this?
TjDaDj 6:54 AM - 23 May, 2013
Guys I had fun tonight. I laughed very hard at first, then became slightly annoyed, then quickly learned quite a lot about myself in a short amount of time. Oh boy I hope I remember this years from now. Over and out. DEUCES :)
DJRemixEnt 6:58 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
then quickly learned quite a lot about myself in a short amount of time

Watchwww.youtube.com
Laz219 6:59 AM - 23 May, 2013
Well, that developed quickly.

Seriously, you completely took what was a genuine comment and turned it into a supposed 'bash' on you.
If you're posting your own work for the intention of being critiqued and learning from it, you should be posting your own thoughts and comments on it so people know what to expect and what advice would be useful..

Losing it at people and making such immature comments is going to get you burned very quickly on this forum. We see people come through like this twice a week, most disappear when they realise they actually have to put some work in.
TjDaDj 7:04 AM - 23 May, 2013
^^nice DjRemix haha. Been a while since I've seen southpark. But really Laz219 this was the best thing I could've done tonight. I'm not even old enough to get into a club yet so this is a great start. No one else EVER said I sucked and I am oh so grateful for you guys. Even people on youtube didn't say anything. I will keep posting questions and getting help whenever I can. A few years from now I hope to look back at this and laugh :)
dj_soo 7:20 AM - 23 May, 2013
If you keep up with it, put the youtube vid on private and go back to listen every year. I guarantee you will have realize that everything said on here is the cold hard truth.
TjDaDj 7:23 AM - 23 May, 2013
^I realize it now. If people say that dj bl3nd sucks then I must be levels underneath him.
Matterhorn 8:52 AM - 23 May, 2013
If this is his approach to something as "complex" as DJing. I can't wait to see how the whole medical school thing turns out....
eder 9:57 AM - 23 May, 2013
Here's my critique-

1. Never SIT DOWN to DJ!!!! There's no reason to be sitting in a chair when you're supposed to be commanding the crowd and rocking the party. Spend a solid $80 on a nice laptop stand and never sit in a chair to DJ again.

1. STOP MIXING OUT OF KEY!!! If you're mixing a lot of house, which i heard in the first 5 minutes of the video, get a key tagging program. Keyfinder, Mixed in Key, etc. The songs you mixed were so out of key that it hurt the ears at low levels of volume. Research the camelot wheel (you are going to be a doctor, right? Researching should be in your blood), and use that to your advantage.

1. LEARN YOuR HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE!!!!! You're trying to do effects that don't add anything to do the overall mix. There's no reason to throw in effects for the purpose of using effects. I NEVER use effects while DJing because honestly, I don't see the use for them when they're mostly all cheese.

1. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!! Yes, we all sucked when we started. None of us (besides the jackasses) will say their shit didn't stink in the beginning. Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice! Nothing else will make you better. I can watch qbert videos all day, but that doesn't make me a better scratcher.

1. KNOW YOR ROLE AND PAY YOUR DUES! You are coming across as a prick when people are giving you shit. You have no reason to fight back when given shit, especially after that performance. If you are humble and take everything in stride, even though you are starting out, people here will RESPECT you instead of turning you into the next plasma-fluid poster boy. You won't get that last joke, but a lot of people here will.

If you paid attention, they're all numbered "1". These are equally as important. If you slack on any of these, it will hurt in the long run.

(nm)
DJMark 10:43 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^^haha dj action i just said it was hype. why are you so serious about this?

There's a HUGE difference between "hype" and "false advertising".

The latter is where you'll find trouble, whether you're a DJ or a doctor.

And seriously, take this previously-given advice to heart: DJ-ing is FAR FROM the most efficient way to "make money to put yourself through college", and I would think that especially the case with medical school and the kind of time/focus demands that involves.
DJRemixEnt 11:54 AM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
No one else EVER said I sucked and I am oh so grateful for you guys. Even people on youtube didn't say anything. I will keep posting questions and getting help whenever I can. A few years from now I hope to look back at this and laugh :)

that's just how family and friends operate, they will never tell you to your face that you suck.

but seriously, that youtube video that i linked you to, sit down and watch it a few times. you can get a basic idea of song structure; peats per minute, bar counts, etc... and all that shit you can practice on your xone controller.
TjDaDj 1:23 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
If this is his approach to something as "complex" as DJing. I can't wait to see how the whole medical school thing turns out...

-Thanks for the support Matterhorn -_- you really helped me out
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
No one else EVER said I sucked and I am oh so grateful for you guys. Even people on youtube didn't say anything)

Go back up to the top of the thread and look how you reacted when someone merely suggested it wasnt good...thats why people dont critisize in person
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
No one else EVER said I sucked and I am oh so grateful for you guys. Even people on youtube didn't say anything)

Go back up to the top of the thread and look how you reacted when someone merely suggested it wasnt good...thats why people dont critisize in person
TjDaDj 1:49 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

-So you're telling me that youtube and facebook are in person? Even after this forum post no one DISLIKED my vids on youtube. I at least expected that...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:51 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^^ it was all talk. at parties I dont mix- djaction. do u understand? I play the songs and thats it.

Well theres the problem, everyones critisizing this as a dj mix...but your NOT djin
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:53 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-So you're telling me that youtube and facebook are in person? Even after this forum post no one DISLIKED my vids on youtube. I at least expected that...

Facebook pretty much is in person
TjDaDj 1:56 PM - 23 May, 2013
^In all honesty do you guys think my pay right is fine as is right now (I will just play music, crossfade songs, and very rarely use effects). Btw does anyone know a good subwoofer to use for mobile djing?

Quote:
Quote:
^^ it was all talk. at parties I dont mix- djaction. do u understand? I play the songs and thats it.

Well theres the problem, everyones critisizing this as a dj mix...but your NOT djin

^I don't mix at parties save for the first video- i started mixing because nearly everyone at the party left-they were cleaning up.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:05 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^In all honesty do you guys think my pay right is fine as is right now (I will just play music, crossfade songs, and very rarely use effects).

No its not fine, you shouldnt be playing out at all why on earth should anyone pay you anything when your doing something that takes ZERO talent that anyone can do, hell an ipod playlist would be more efficient, instead of wasting your time and your clients time shitting all over the name of djs everywhere you should be at home practicing techniques developing a SKILL worth paying for and once youve developed that charge a legitimate rate instead of undercutting people who give a shit, whatyour charging wouldnt even cover my gas to get to a gig, why would you puropsly LOSE money to go sit somewhere and look lke a jackass it makes no sense
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:05 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

^I don't mix at parties save for the first video- i started mixing because nearly everyone at the party left

Theres your clue!!
Papa Midnight 2:06 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

What do I feel?
I believe the closest term to it is Déjà vu.

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

Yup. Definitely Déjà vu.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:09 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

What do I feel?
I believe the closest term to it is Déjà vu.

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

Yup. Definitely Déjà vu.

Watchwww.youtube.com
TjDaDj 2:09 PM - 23 May, 2013
^because at least im getting paid. trust me I DONT MIX AT PARTIES. And many people don't have the type speakers that I do . If you think i'm undercutting then I guess 80% of djs nowadays are con artists. Most people are fine with what i do because THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A REAL DJ IS haha. And see? proof right there. That homie is black lol. I CAN CLUTCH THIS GUYS.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:13 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^because at least im getting paid. trust me I DONT MIX AT PARTIES.

Most people are fine with what i do because THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A REAL DJ IS haha. And see? proof right there..

Thats my point you ignorint little twat, they DONT know what a real dj is so they pay an asshat like you in popcorn and peanuts then when a real dj tries to charge a respectable fee its harder to get because of your tomfoolery. You say you want to do this for a long time well eventually youll need more than $20 to pay your bills so stop shooting yourself in the foot and learn to do this shit right
djaction 2:17 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
I guess 80% of djs nowadays are con artists.

Something we finally agree on.
TjDaDj 2:24 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Most people are fine with what i do because THEY DONT KNOW WHAT A REAL DJ IS haha. And see? proof right there..

Thats my point you ignorint little twat, they DONT know what a real dj is so they pay an asshat like you in popcorn and peanuts then when a real dj tries to charge a respectable fee its harder to get because of your tomfoolery. You say you want to do this for a long time well eventually youll need more than $20 to pay your bills so stop shooting yourself in the foot and learn to do this shit right

not gonna feed this troll. Anyways i almost always just play for my family you condescending ass wipe. I was still better than the people who used to charge them an arm and a leg. I only charge $100 -_-
TjDaDj 2:29 PM - 23 May, 2013
*charged
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:34 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

not gonna feed this troll. Anyways i almost always just play for my family you condescending ass wipe. I was still better than the people who used to charge them an arm and a leg. I only charge $100 -_-

Pics or it didnt happen, A) i refuse to believe your better than ANYONE B) If your better than why are you charging less, that dosent make even the slightest bit of sense
TjDaDj 2:37 PM - 23 May, 2013
^ 1 because I'm a beginner. and 2 they're family. I care for them. they help me i help them. If you can't get business because of "people like me" then thats sad. You probably dont deserve it or need a better fan base. I'm goin to school now for a real education you bully. BYE.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:38 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
^ 1 because I'm a beginner. and 2 they're family. I care for them. they help me i help them.

So why are you charging them for you to sit on a laptop clicking next?
Papa Midnight 2:40 PM - 23 May, 2013
I couldn't even be mad with this guy if I tried...

Let me explain to you why.

You advertise that you charge $35 an hour to perform at anything 4 hours or under. Most parties run from 10-2 so you likely will not fall out of this 4 hour period. That said, you, at most, will make $140 from any gig.

(Side note: as I was typing this, you changed to say you only charge $100)

Now let's think about this.

You advertise that you'll travel anywhere within a 3 hour radius of Fullerton, CA. From this, I gather you're in the CSU Fullerton area off the 91. Let me explain to you what you just opened yourself up to. With unimpeded traffic, a 3 Hour drive from Fullerton opens you up to go as far North as Fresno, as far East as Las Vegas, and as far south as Tijuana. I made the drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles via I-15 to I-210 in just under 3 hours this past January without even speeding through San Bernadino County - a longer distance than you'll have to drive so I know it can be done.

The amount of gas you'll use to drive your advertised distance is going to easily drain every penny you make; and that's before we account for the wear and tear you will be putting on your vehicle and yourself moving equipment those distances 3 nights a week.
I hope you have budgeted in gas, oil, fluids, brakes, tires, rotors, calipers, alignments, rotations, balances, etc.; and for the distances you'll be driving, I hope you've got AAA.

As a side note, you still haven't paid any bills yet, let alone eaten.

Maybe you should think about that before saying that we're charging "an arm and a leg."

Now a lot of people here are saying you're undercutting others... making it hard for them and what not, but I don't see it that way. You do not affect my business and I don't worry about it.

Why am I not mad? How could I be? You're pimping yourself better than any promoter or bar owner I've ever seen. What's more is you're proud of it. You proudly proclaim that you are not a real DJ and that you willingly take advantage of the ignorance of others (then you toss in a slight tone of racism to top it all off), but it seems to me that the only one getting taken advantage of is you. What makes it even better is you're the one taking advantage of yourself.
djdalite 3:32 PM - 23 May, 2013
who the hell dj's sitting down in a chair. thats about as lazy as your mixing and skillz
ral 3:52 PM - 23 May, 2013

to think that he is using itch (with autosync) already
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

to think that he is using itch (with autosync) already

Now that controllers are gaining acceptance Djs to lazy to even use autosync is the next wave of wackness
dj_KaSE 4:04 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
I'm just starting and need some tips.

Followed by...

Quote:
HMU if you want a Pro DJ that knows when and how to do things.

I'm not understanding your way of thinking. You're apparently putting on a front and making yourself out to be someone you're not. Like in all professions, you need to put in your work, cut your teeth, and earn the title of being a pro DJ.
DJRemixEnt 4:06 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Followed by...

Quote:

I'm not understanding your way of thinking. You're apparently putting on a front and making yourself out to be someone you're not. Like in all professions, you need to put in your work, cut your teeth, and earn the title of being a pro DJ.

Exactly
dj_KaSE 4:07 PM - 23 May, 2013
Just the same as you cannot call yourself a doctor (as you claim that's what you're in school for) until you put in countless hours, days, months into learning and practicing before you are given the title of MD.
Papa Midnight 4:08 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

Now that controllers are gaining acceptance Djs to lazy to even use autosync is the next wave of wackness

Hold up a minute. Just last year, you and others were saying that using a controller automatically made you some button pushing sync happy clown. I can easily cite MANY a discussion topic on this.

Now that they're so ubiquitous, you should use sync?

I'm confused.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Followed by...

Quote:

Exactly

Caught that too. You can't be "just starting out" and be a pro.
dj_KaSE 4:11 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hold up a minute. Just last year, you and others were saying that using a controller automatically made you some button pushing sync happy clown. I can easily cite MANY a discussion topic on this.

Now that they're so ubiquitous, you should use sync?

I'm confused.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Followed by...

Quote:

Exactly

Caught that too. You can't be "just starting out" and be a pro.

Tragically that's the mindset of way too many new DJs who think they can be an instant pro.
djatrain@hotmail.com 4:13 PM - 23 May, 2013
Watchwww.youtube.com

Man, you got it. You got the skillz to play the bills son. This joint is off the meat rack yo. Shit is ill, straight sick. No more practicing for you, just come in and fuck shit up and leave. Your dj skills are in line with those of the greats. Keep doing you, haters will come and you will block their haterade and drink Gatorade.
the_black_one 4:29 PM - 23 May, 2013
We need a new word for people like this.. Noob is levels above this kid... Any suggestions?
Jesus Christ 4:46 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
We need a new word for people like this.. Noob is levels above this kid... Any suggestions?

Cock-holster?
DJ Remy USA 4:47 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
When I started I was terrible and I knew it. you know how? i loved djing even before I started. I listened to sets, i went to shows, I listened to the music. And this was long before youtube and google and the hours upon hours upon hours of stuff that's available for free and easily found online.

What I didn't do was post my terrible mixes online begging other people to tell me why I sucked because I already knew. I sat in my bedroom and practiced. And practiced. And recorded. And listened. And identified what was going wrong. And then I worked on those things for hours. And then practiced some more.

Probably the best advice, if you cannot isolate your own mistakes and then improve from there DJing is not for you.
ninos 4:54 PM - 23 May, 2013
Snap, were deffilitney at a 10 now!!!! Turn it up!!
XCAKID 5:55 PM - 23 May, 2013
OK...I'll throw out what you need to work on.

1) Since you are in college, take a course in music theory.

2) Beat matching, you do this by first learning what an up beat is and what a down beat is. Then learning to count them.

3) Learn to count bars in your head as you are listening to songs.

These first three are your core basics DJ skills. With it you can mix on anything (controller, CDs, Turntables) and also be able to mix any genre.

4) Listen to the mixes of other DJs, try to figure out when they bring a song in and take a song out. Practice replicating them. Don't practice a set, practice mixing.

5) Get use to not staring at your laptop. Look at your laptop only when 1) looking for songs 2) loading songs 3) adjusting BPM. Other than that, pay attention to the crowd and how they are responding.

6) For the first year of your DJ existence, Stay away from effects. They are just a crutch. Work on transitions without effects first. You'll be a better DJ for it. Same with the Sync button.
the_black_one 6:24 PM - 23 May, 2013
Lol @ cock holster !!!!
DJ Reflex 6:34 PM - 23 May, 2013
Schzang! My first day of summer vacation and I am treated to this thread. I love it!
Matterhorn 6:35 PM - 23 May, 2013
As I said. Can't wait to see how this whole becoming a doctor thing turns out. Who wants to place a wager on this kid changing occupations?
DJRemixEnt 7:06 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
As I said. Can't wait to see how this whole becoming a doctor thing turns out. Who wants to place a wager on this kid changing occupations?

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj jamalot 7:10 PM - 23 May, 2013
Cock Holster man your killin me!!!
the_black_one 7:11 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Cock Holster man your killin me!!!

OG .......
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:15 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

GOD DAMN CAN I EVER GET SOME "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM AROUND HERE?! IM ONLY 17 AND JUST STARTED!

Criticisms:

:26 :34 - horrible places to stutter, it sounds like your CD is skipping

1:00 - Started next song at wrong place, songs not beat matched

1:08 - complete train wreck, work on clean transition rather than trying to cover up mistake with a loop

1:15-  1:24 - you lost all of your energy from starting the previous mix in wrong place

1:24 - using the effect actually lost MORE energy

1:42 - a this stutter was a little better

1:51 - your filter sweeps are off beat, it literally sounds like you are just discovering the FX buttons\knobs

2:00 - I’m enjoying this part, coincidently you’re not touching anything at the moment

2:30 - did you just try to scratch....don’t do that again

2:34 - why was there a random backspin...you don’t backspin INTO a song you backspin OUT of a song

2:36 - you just started ANOTHER song off beat, more so you did it randomly in the middle of the previous songs buildup

2:46 - did you just restart the song you brought in...don’t bring a new song in until you’re ready, you your headphones and know your music to bring it in confidently

2:50 - nice build up

3:20 - not exactly sure what just happened there, sounded kind of cool though, don’t know if that was you or the song, I think you just hit a cue point

3:25 - your cue juggle was at least on beat, maybe there’s hope for you yet

3:50 - nice fader work, could be sharper but wasn’t as obnoxious as a lot of the other stuff you’re doing

4:05 -  random snare drum there from where I guess you made an attempt to mix in the next track...stop half assing your mix ins

4:08 - nice loop roll buildup\nice use of fog with a buildup

4:17 - ...wow you fucked up your previous setup nicely, you had a great buildup which should lead in a drop of some more higher energy music but instead you switched genres\bpms and lost ALL of your energy....this is a punishable crime in some countries, you didn’t even bring in the next track with any style, you could have at least echoed out of the buildup and it would have seemed like you weren’t wandering around lost thru your set

4:22 - you just jesus posed after a fuck up while sitting....I’ve seen it all now, either have energy or look bored pick one and stick with it

4:58 - WTF DID YOU JUST DO!!!! One second I’m listening to E40 the next an audio apocalypse is happening

5:05 - you didn’t even TRY to mix that, it was midverse and you randomly changed not only the song but the genre, never never never do that. LEAN MUSIC THEORY, learn how songs are set up, verse chorus verse         chorus. learn where the appropriate place is to mix in and out of songs, if you’re only going to play 9 words of a song you obviously don’t like it so don’t play the damn thing, also why is there a    random rap track in the middle of your EDM set, it would have been ok if you let it play but you didn’t even have enough confidence in it to let it ride       

5:08 - are you paying attn. to your levels because your clipping here (that or it’s a horrible copy of the song)

5:20 - ...give me a sec your camera man’s trying to give me a seizure with your stage lights

5:40 - I’m really hoping this is the part of the show where you disappear when the smoke clears. Props on using your stage FX

5:49 - nope your back...fuck

5:56 - you are seriously overusing your filter sweeps, you’re playing a song that relies on its bass so why are you taking out the bass, I realize this CAN add to the mix but not when you do it every song

6:06 - what just happened, was that part of the song or are you playing someone else’s mix, it went from bass heavy to trancy song really cleanly, I was going to give you props for the mix being clean (still really out of place and still lost all your energy) but then I noticed you playing with the platter ....what’s going on here

7:00 - there you go again trying to bring in the next song at the wrong place, then getting scared and pulling it back out, seriously let the music do what it needs to do you keep getting to the meet of the song and either ruining the energy build or the catchy part of the song by driving your next song into it.  Let’s hear a damn track let it play.  The into is the part of the track NOOONE wants to hear yet that’s all your playing

7:15 - you just slam mixed out of the middle of the vocal BEFORE the drop..the best part of that particular song

7:20 - another unexpected left turn on your musical journey, your set has NO sense of consistence, stick with a genre for a couple of songs, your all over the place

7:58 - that effect worked nicely at that point (I’m assuming it was you and not the song), it was also at least kind of on beat

8:00 - stop trying to use FX to cover up for the fact that you don’t know what you’re doing, that previous effect sounded good but instead of using it to accentuate the song you looped it and freight trained       the next song into it, and once again not even at the correct place

8:10 - nice cut outs

8:19 - dude...WHAT THE FUCK, you had a pretty little trancy build up then your shoe horning in a rap song

8:21 - these songs are OBVIOUSLY different keys, tempos, genres, your train wrecking and it sounds horrible, do you have ANY sense of rhythm

8:30 - at least you slammed it on beat, you didn’t bring it in in the right place, it set a totally different mood but at least you realized that trying to hold that mix sounded like shit and you gave up on it

8:51 - another train wreck caused by bringing in a song with a different BPM at the wrong part of the song at least this time they had the same color

^ There’s your critique of where you’re at now, you’re not a lost cause but here’s what you need to fix\work on:

1) Learn basic music theory, THIS IS YOUR BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PROBLEM: learn what a downbeat is, learn to find and cue up the downbeat, learn to drop the downbeat of one song on the downbeat of another. Learn basic song structure, learn how songs are formatted so you can know where it is appropriate to bring in the next track.  Always drop the next track on the 1, drop one on the one. Rap songs are verse chorus verse chorus, don’t mix out mid verse wait until you get to the end of a segment and bring in the appropriate next segment.

2) Learn what BPMs are, learn how to properly match BPMs, learn what songs do and don’t mix. a 128 house track is never going to mix well into a 70 bpm rap track, mix tracks that are at the same BPM, get them into a rhythm

3) learn your actual music, you mixed out either ON the buildup or before the meat of the song every time, no one wants to hear intros they want the meat of the song so find out what these parts are and PLAY them.

4) Learn the "colors" of tracks, you sound lost going through all those genres so quick, not only are they different BPMs so don’t mix well anyways but they have different feels to them, your mix sounded like you were throwing spaghetti at the wall and just seeing what sticks, play a few songs from a genre in a row see how the crowd reacts then switch when the mood is right

5) Chill on the FX and SWEEPS, we get it you have a dj program, FX are like seasoning on a steak just a tad here and there to enhance the flavor, your FX nob is not what people are there for, use it sparingly, sometimes less is more.

6) Watch your levels, as a DJ a lot of your job is making sure everything is equalized properly.

7) Get an idea of where you want to go with your mix, get two or three songs that you think would sound good in your head ahead of yourself, so you have a roadmap on where you want to go

8) THE FRIST thing you need to focus on is basic transitions, get two songs that are around the same BPM and practice beat matching, then once you get that down practice bringing them in and out, on beat cleanly, that doesn’t mean just randomly slamming, learn to switch the bass and blend the tracks.

9) For the love of everything that is holy no more jesus poses until you at least have a basic grasp on what’s going on

10) get up out the chair you look bored, it looks like you’re writing a research paper.

11) Don’t be scared to let a track play, choose music people like and let them hear it, just because your djing  doesn’t mean you have to be doing something every two seconds, relax and enjoy a track
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:18 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

If hes 17 im sure "in college" means starts next year so ya i DEF see him changin career paths....unless he gets that asian chick sittn next to him to take his exams lol
ral 7:27 PM - 23 May, 2013
nice review bezzle

i wanna see sixxx review of this mix too, lol
Papa Midnight 7:51 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
nice review bezzle

i wanna see sixxx review of this mix too, lol

Bezzle actually did a straight-up review wit criticism.

Check the weather.
hamplifier 9:11 PM - 23 May, 2013
man i dont come on for a few days and miss out on all this! im checking in daily from now on
Marv Incredible 10:06 PM - 23 May, 2013
Sorry, but in general I can't stand seeing DJs sit down while they 'perform'. It's just...wrong.
WarpNote 11:16 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

Next level is -> Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 11:45 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Next level is -> Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Caley Martin 11:52 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
2:30&nbsp;- did you just try to scratch....don’t do that again

lol...
Thundercat 12:07 AM - 24 May, 2013
Worse than I thought. I am dumbfounded...

I am going to back slowly out of this thread and pretend I never saw it
eder 12:34 AM - 24 May, 2013
I just think it's funny how the OP has tons of shit to say to the "haters" but the people who give him constructive criticism/advice, he is silent.

I'm done trying to help. You clearly don't want to improve, but instead try to justify your ground against people who pushed your buttons (get it?). You know, a simple "thanks" goes a loooong way. I'm done. Good luck with your endeavors. I hope I never have to get treated by you seeing how you cut corners doing something that "you love".

(nm)
Thundercat 1:27 AM - 24 May, 2013
Ok, this is not so much constructive but more informative as to why you are taking heat. Buy this book www.amazon.com and read it.

This community here is not like you are going to find anywhere else on the planet. This forum. The Serato Forum. Is full of cats that have been in this a looooong time and have seen & experienced and lived what you will find in the book I linked above. I feel some of them looking at this thread now, shaking their heads in silence and simply hoping you, and others like you, will disappear.

What's happening right now is what happened to break dancing once it made it into a Burger King commercial back in the day. Opportunists made a quick buck dancing at private parties, teaching break dancing classes to spoiled rich kids etc. (guilty) until the fad wore off. It headed back underground and was reclaimed by real artisans. It's been back but has undergone a transformation that has weeded out those not talented enough to survive the grind. The talent bar has been raised so high that now you can find some wonderful dancers and even the average person can distinguish the real from the fake.

While it may hurt me and the craft in the short term, I almost hope the same thing happens to the DJ industry. Over-saturation, boredom, apathy and dismissal followed by a period where REAL artists at the craft get recognized for their actual talent and frauds are easily identified by the general public and summarily dismissed.

Kids like you ain't nothing but a fast food commercial....

Prove me wrong
eder 1:45 AM - 24 May, 2013
Thank you for sending me a PM I can't open. Go you, TJdaDJ.

(nm)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:52 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
I just think it's funny how the OP has tons of shit to say to the "haters" but the people who give him constructive criticism/advice, he is silent.

lmfao acutually heeeeeeereeeee we go (i dont hide PM covos!)

Heres his input on hist critique; nothin personal kid I just feel theres alot of learning expedience to be had here

Quote:

TjDaDj 5:15 PM - 23 May, 2013
:26 :34 - read the description I had the wrong fx and admitted that

1:00 - I try not to use the sync button and they were exactly the same bpm. my computer is shitty and lags so it can be hard to get it clocked in right.

1:08 - I should've just switched in. I tried making it sound good switching out but I guess that wasn't the case

1:15- 1:24 - Should I have waited longer? I only had a limited time to be there. only 10 min. for songs I wanted to play after requests for a bunch of fucking kid music.

1:24 - using the effect actually lost MORE energy- How so?

1:42 - a this stutter was a little better
- thx

1:51 - your filter sweeps are off beat, it literally sounds like you are just discovering the FX buttons\knobs
- I can use help here

2:00 - I’m enjoying this part, coincidently you’re not touching anything at the moment
- lol fuck off

2:30 - did you just try to scratch....don’t do that again- Xone isnt meant for scratching.... never again >.<

2:34 - why was there a random backspin...you don’t backspin INTO a song you backspin OUT of a song
- Haha just felt like it

2:36 - you just started ANOTHER song off beat, more so you did it randomly in the middle of the previous songs buildup
- Off beat? these are the same BPMS! No sync required!. Shouldve started it at a different time

2:46 - did you just restart the song you brought in...don’t bring a new song in until you’re ready, you your headphones and know your music to bring it in confidently
- true but sometimes i like keeping the crowd guessing as to what's goin on/ give a preview. radio dj's do that. they go from one song to the next then go back, then forward again

2:50 - nice build up
-thx

3:20 - not exactly sure what just happened there, sounded kind of cool though, don’t know if that was you or the song, I think you just hit a cue point
-Looped it at the right time cuz i love this song

3:25 - your cue juggle was at least on beat, maybe there’s hope for you yet
-thx
3:50 - nice fader work, could be sharper but wasn’t as obnoxious as a lot of the other stuff you’re doing

4:05 - random snare drum there from where I guess you made an attempt to mix in the next track...stop half assing your mix ins
- what should I do here? i thought it was a nice spot

4:08 - nice loop roll buildup\nice use of fog with a buildup

4:17 - ...wow you fucked up your previous setup nicely, you had a great buildup which should lead in a drop of some more higher energy music but instead you switched genres\bpms and lost ALL of your energy....this is a punishable crime in some countries, you didn’t even bring in the next track with any style, you could have at least echoed out of the buildup and it would have seemed like you weren’t wandering around lost thru your set.

-My cousins prefer hip hop over edm as you can see by their reactions. I was doing it for them (im not a stingy dj. who wants to listen to electro all night?)

4:22 - you just jesus posed after a fuck up while sitting....I’ve seen it all now, either have energy or look bored pick one and stick with it
-my family practically made me sit there cuz i was standing practically all day from 3pm till almost midnight

4:58 - WTF DID YOU JUST DO!!!! One second I’m listening to E40 the next an audio apocalypse is happening
-Read the description I forgot that my little bro was here and my little cousin. No swearing for them. Needed a song with good bass and fast. Definitely my fault though

5:05 - you didn’t even TRY to mix that, it was midverse and you randomly changed not only the song but the genre, never never never do that. LEAN MUSIC THEORY, learn how songs are set up, verse chorus verse chorus. learn where the appropriate place is to mix in and out of songs, if you’re only going to play 9 words of a song you obviously don’t like it so don’t play the damn thing, also why is there a random rap track in the middle of your EDM set, it would have been ok if you let it play but you didn’t even have enough confidence in it to let it ride
-I love this advice. I shouldve switched to hip hop just once.

5:08 - are you paying attn. to your levels because your clipping here (that or it’s a horrible copy of the song)
-Got it from a friend. sounds much better on my ipod (found out the hard way)

5:20 - ...give me a sec your camera man’s trying to give me a seizure with your stage lights

-lol

5:40 - I’m really hoping this is the part of the show where you disappear when the smoke clears. Props on using your stage FX

5:49 - nope your back...fuck

5:56 - you are seriously overusing your filter sweeps, you’re playing a song that relies on its bass so why are you taking out the bass, I realize this CAN add to the mix but not when you do it every song

- true, however there aren't many effects that i have. need to get more

6:06 - what just happened, was that part of the song or are you playing someone else’s mix, it went from bass heavy to trancy song really cleanly, I was going to give you props for the mix being clean (still really out of place and still lost all your energy) but then I noticed you playing with the platter ....what’s going on here
-I was putting the song back in its original place

7:00 - there you go again trying to bring in the next song at the wrong place, then getting scared and pulling it back out, seriously let the music do what it needs to do you keep getting to the meet of the song and either ruining the energy build or the catchy part of the song by driving your next song into it. Let’s hear a damn track let it play. The into is the part of the track NOOONE wants to hear yet that’s all your playing
- very true i shouldve hot cued it later and let it play longer

7:15 - you just slam mixed out of the middle of the vocal BEFORE the drop..the best part of that particular song
-Exactly my fault. should've known

7:20 - another unexpected left turn on your musical journey, your set has NO sense of consistence, stick with a genre for a couple of songs, your all over the place
-true ill take that

7:58 - that effect worked nicely at that point (I’m assuming it was you and not the song), it was also at least kind of on beat
-not my effect

8:00 - stop trying to use FX to cover up for the fact that you don’t know what you’re doing, that previous effect sounded good but instead of using it to accentuate the song you looped it and freight trained the next song into it, and once again not even at the correct place

8:10 - nice cut outs
-thx

8:19 - dude...WHAT THE FUCK, you had a pretty little trancy build up then your shoe horning in a rap song
-My cousins love hip hop. the edm was for me. shouldve stuck to it tho

8:21 - these songs are OBVIOUSLY different keys, tempos, genres, your train wrecking and it sounds horrible, do you have ANY sense of rhythm
-I will work on that. I do need to stick to the same genre

8:30 - at least you slammed it on beat, you didn’t bring it in in the right place, it set a totally different mood but at least you realized that trying to hold that mix sounded like shit and you gave up on it

8:51 - another train wreck caused by bringing in a song with a different BPM at the wrong part of the song at least this time they had the same color
-See why I usually don't use the sync button? Fucking pointless most of the time
Quote· Report· Permalink

TjDaDj 5:24 PM - 23 May, 2013
This was a great review. I won't deny that but I think you forgot:
-Pretty harsh for my first mix. I didn't practice much at all yet (not even 20 hours worth-too much shit to do) and i freestyled. Didn't make a playlist hence- freestyle (which type of dj are u if u don't not know that?)
-Also about my career choice: I'm great with kids (oldest brother so I take care of em), i volunteer with the elderly, maintained above a 3.0 while in track/cross country in a school full of asians without being a fucking cheater. In college I'm not even getting a sports scholarship-its all based on grades (not even ethnicity scholarships-division 3 private school University of La Verne doesn't give em out anyway) even though I could run 5:00 flat mile times my first year of cross country running. So do you really challenge my career choice? I have 2 family members that are doctors and 2 that are lawyers. Plus all my teachers fucking love me. What do you do for a living? just curious. You are a funny yet logical individual. Rough on the outside yet an honest chewy center (no homo) :)

TjDaDj 2:00 AM - 24 May, 2013
^go at it guys. No mercy :) I'm breaking my no post on this thread rule
dj_soo 2:12 AM - 24 May, 2013
here's another tip.

just because the bpms are the same on the readout doesn't mean the tracks are beatmatched.

cover up your computer and practice without looking at the screen.
Esco... 2:13 AM - 24 May, 2013
I lol'd at "how was it off beat, they are the same BPM"

much to learn you have. I'm sure my mixes were just as shitty, but I only sent them to 1 person tops so I could get constructive criticism.
TjDaDj 2:17 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
here's another tip.

just because the bpms are the same on the readout doesn't mean the tracks are beatmatched.

thx for the feed back Dj_soo. So when something is "beatmatched" does that mean that it has the same "tempo" rather than the same "beat per minute"? Example: metronome for the piano?
the_black_one 2:20 AM - 24 May, 2013
1,2,3,4 need to line up with the next songs 1,2,3,4

Then you must get your beat counts lined up as well
dj_soo 2:21 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
here's another tip.

thx for the feed back Dj_soo. So when something is "beatmatched" does that mean that it has the same "tempo" rather than the same "beat per minute"? Example: metronome for the piano?

read up on beatmatching, mixing, keeping things "in phas phre," phrasing, and key-mixing. There's a wealth of info out there and just requires the smallest amount of google searching.
TjDaDj 2:30 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Ok, this is not so much constructive but more informative as to why you are taking heat. Buy this book www.amazon.com and read it.

This community here is not like you are going to find anywhere else on the planet. This forum. The Serato Forum. Is full of cats that have been in this a looooong time and have seen & experienced and lived what you will find in the book I linked above. I feel some of them looking at this thread now, shaking their heads in silence and simply hoping you, and others like you, will disappear.

What's happening right now is what happened to break dancing once it made it into a Burger King commercial back in the day. Opportunists made a quick buck dancing at private parties, teaching break dancing classes to spoiled rich kids etc. (guilty) until the fad wore off. It headed back underground and was reclaimed by real artisans. It's been back but has undergone a transformation that has weeded out those not talented enough to survive the grind. The talent bar has been raised so high that now you can find some wonderful dancers and even the average person can distinguish the real from the fake.

While it may hurt me and the craft in the short term, I almost hope the same thing happens to the DJ industry. Over-saturation, boredom, apathy and dismissal followed by a period where REAL artists at the craft get recognized for their actual talent and frauds are easily identified by the general public and summarily dismissed.

Kids like you ain't nothing but a fast food commercial....

Prove me wrong

I appreciate this gesture. I will save up some money for it. I also want to get some books on beat matching, tempo, mixing, and scratching (even though I can't really yet with my xone). I'm pretty sure I can find one on my own but does anyone have any good suggestions in particular?
Rdent 2:32 AM - 24 May, 2013
smh.... TjDaDj peopple can only point you in the right direction.... just read this article and fully assimilate the information and you will see your mixing will DRASTICALLY improve

this article is FREE

www.virtualdj.com <<<< W.E you pick up from that article you can apply to any mixer/dj program int he market.
Rdent 2:34 AM - 24 May, 2013
Also GOOGLE my friend..,.. you can find any kind of information you seek on it.
Rdent 2:35 AM - 24 May, 2013
it is nice to get everything handed out to you... but a better satisfaction when you do it your self.
TjDaDj 2:41 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
it is nice to get everything handed out to you... but a better satisfaction when you do it your self.

-I read that yesterday. I liked it but there's nothing like a good old classic-hand held book haha. its ironic that you are saying this because I am only jumping quickly into my business without practicing that much because I want to pay off my own equipment (not my parents). I applied for a lot of regular jobs that are pending right now but you guys know how the job market is. No one is really hiring-especially since i'm not out of high school yet. This is my only option right now.
BIGG BEAR 2:50 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
there's nothing like a good old classic-hand held book haha.

www.amazon.co.uk
TjDaDj 2:54 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.co.uk

Are you serios about this book?
-I don't need friends. friends are over-rated Watchwww.youtube.com
eder 3:26 AM - 24 May, 2013
Just got this gem in my PM inbox:

Quote:
Well anyways. I didn't see you help me once. I would appreciate if you did knowing that it is a choice and not an obligation. I hope you also know that I didn't come here to boost myself up. I just wanted an honest yet constructive opinion because I know that these guys know what they are talking about. I knew i would get flamed- but this is absolute genocide. Can I get a break? people are still commenting long after I stopped posting publicly just for kicks. Do they have anything better to do? Aren't we supposed to help each other? I will also let you know that there is pressure in me djing because I'm not spoiled. I have applied for at least 10 jobs and have not received a reply from a single fucking one yet. I need to get good at this also because I'm paying this off now that I'm getting small venues, not my parents. I want to commit to this. I love djing. Ever since I saw my mom's friend with some old style dj equipment when I was 7 I wanted to dj. we just never had enough money for it until now... I hope you can understand where I'm coming from now instead of stereotyping me.

Let me point to where IN THIS THREAD I helped you:

Quote:
Here's my critique-

1. Never SIT DOWN to DJ!!!! There's no reason to be sitting in a chair when you're supposed to be commanding the crowd and rocking the party. Spend a solid $80 on a nice laptop stand and never sit in a chair to DJ again.

1. STOP MIXING OUT OF KEY!!! If you're mixing a lot of house, which i heard in the first 5 minutes of the video, get a key tagging program. Keyfinder, Mixed in Key, etc. The songs you mixed were so out of key that it hurt the ears at low levels of volume. Research the camelot wheel (you are going to be a doctor, right? Researching should be in your blood), and use that to your advantage.

1. LEARN YOuR HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE!!!!! You're trying to do effects that don't add anything to do the overall mix. There's no reason to throw in effects for the purpose of using effects. I NEVER use effects while DJing because honestly, I don't see the use for them when they're mostly all cheese.

1. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!!! Yes, we all sucked when we started. None of us (besides the jackasses) will say their shit didn't stink in the beginning. Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice! Nothing else will make you better. I can watch qbert videos all day, but that doesn't make me a better scratcher.

1. KNOW YOR ROLE AND PAY YOUR DUES! You are coming across as a prick when people are giving you shit. You have no reason to fight back when given shit, especially after that performance. If you are humble and take everything in stride, even though you are starting out, people here will RESPECT you instead of turning you into the next plasma-fluid poster boy. You won't get that last joke, but a lot of people here will.

If you paid attention, they're all numbered "1". These are equally as important. If you slack on any of these, it will hurt in the long run.

(nm)

I never ONCE stereotyped you, but you clearly did it to me. So good luck. I'm done with you.
Laz219 5:09 AM - 24 May, 2013
I don't really understand the "freestyle" thing.
Pretty much everyone here would consider "not making a playlist" the normal way to DJ
TjDaDj 5:13 AM - 24 May, 2013
sorry you did say that. This thread is so long that I didn't know there were some messages that weren't loaded anymore. That is my fault. You've helped enough and I'm fine if you are frustrated with me. Very last post on any thread whatsoever for me. I got more than enough help from all of you. thanks. I appreciate it. The rest is up to me and perhaps just a few select others to critique me. I will post here a long time from now... when I KNOW I'll be ready without posting here again.

-Sincerely yours,
Cock-holster/nihilist/n00b
Laz219 5:14 AM - 24 May, 2013
How will we keep up with your progress then though?
WarpNote 5:26 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
How will we keep up with your progress then though?

Easy, just go to the FB page.... ;)
www.facebook.com
WarpNote 6:44 AM - 24 May, 2013
Ok, maybe I was a little rude there?
However the kid is responsible for own FB profile, like anyone else.
He hit me up with a PM so I sent my quick advice, sharing here, if any others wants to see...

LOL, no harm meant dude.
Honestly though, you wanna take advice from the people at this forum.
I got to admit those mixes of yours was to ear-wrecking for me to listen all the way thru.

I skipped ahead, and it was painful to hear every time I listened, both cause of the mixing and the sound quality itself. Not to keen on the selection either, but thats a whole other issue, comes down to taste.

Itch has recording, next time you wanna dub that audio into the video, instead of the crappy camera mic feed. Better yet, next time you want audio only feedback on the mix, leave only audio, no video. If your computer is to weak to drive itch, you really shouldn't use it for gigs. (you mentioned something about it not being able to fine tune the pitch, although I suspect that to be human error...)

By now, you know sitting down is a BIG NO-NO while spinning. No matter how many hours you've been standing during the day. Every experienced DJ on this forum has done marathon gigs, no excuses valid for sitting, period.

Remember, friends and family will always will ALWAYS give positive and supportive feedback, its their nature. Once playing a real party/club, the reality is a whole different thing. Mistakes comes back to bite you for sure.

I like books myself, and will recommend this one, a good read -> www.amazon.com

About bookings and your online presence, when starting out, you'll probably get gigs through connections/friends/family not internet hype, that's the way this game works. Bad videos & mixes online works against you. Not all press is good press in this instance. Only when really confident about a mix, load it up.

There are other ways of transitioning from song to song than actual beatmatching, but beatmatching is essential. And its not a matter of just matching bpms, you need to match the phrasing, know where in the song to mix out, where to mix in, and adjust the pitch in the transition if drifting. That book has good info on this.

Here's a video mix I did last year, its set up in Ableton, not Serato, everything warped and synced, so yeah, its "cheating". Still showing you this as an example for listening to transitions. If you watch the credits you'll see that the m83 tune actually consists of 3 different versions put together. Appart from the voice drop, there's really not that many fx, maybe some reverb, echo and eq'ing, thats about it. And thats what you need to work on for now, make good transitions, WHITOUT fx. Link -> Watchvimeo.com

As for my live mix abilities, I'm putting together another "Gin Tronica Vol2" video mix for this summer, that will be mixed live in Scratch Live + Mix Emergency for the visuals. Will post in the forum once its done, still collecting tracks for the mix, and building own visuals.

I wish you the best forward in you dj'ing. You'll get a lot further if approaching this in a humble attitude. Expand your music selection, make it a habit of visiting a local record store as often as possible, follow closely the music websites that cover your interest in music, don't be afraid to listen to music you normally wouldn't, there are a lot of hidden gems in genres you never thought of.

Last but not least, please, you need to stop making excuses, admit your mistakes, it's the only way you can learn from them.

Warp.
d:raf 7:08 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
By now, you know sitting down is a BIG NO-NO while spinning. No matter how many hours you've been standing during the day. Every experienced DJ on this forum has done marathon gigs, no excuses valid for sitting, period.

Watchwww.youtube.com

;)
WarpNote 7:13 AM - 24 May, 2013
Yeah I remember that one now.
So being disabled or really,really old (like on crutches) gives you a free pass,
but that's about it...
apeironentertainment 8:41 AM - 24 May, 2013
Come on man...
I expected at least some sort of beat-matched structureless transitions...
Criticism?
-you are sitting down
-you aren't beatmatching
-you aren't counting bars
-you are over-using effects to compensate
-you are letting songs play out too long/too short
-you are mixing electro, hip hop, dub step, and pop all into each other
-you are charging $20 an hour

When I was 16, I bought a Hercules RMX and a B-52 PA system and practiced for 2 months. I then charged some old dude $350 for a wedding reception who found me on Craigslist. I did 4-5 birthday parties within the next 3 months for the same price.
Granted, I actually put in work and learned how to beat match and count bars before I went out and took people's money.

Now, (after 4 years), I spin a couple times a month at college events and dive bars which I do the sound/lighting for. Everyone tells me I kill it; however, I know that there are thousands of other DJs out there who would have played a way better set than I did. After 4 years of daily practice, I still have humility, and am still self-conscious of my skills as a DJ. Unfortunately, this means I don't perform live nearly as much as I should, and am still $9k in the hole.

Don't post on here looking for validation that you are a good DJ after 30 hours on the decks. You aren't. No one is. Put in 300, you'll become better. 3,000, you'll be good. 10,000, you'll outspin anyone in your town. It's just like any instrument; any job; any sport--take a little bit of natural-born talent, and combine it with die-hard passion and sacrifice and countless hours of hard work--then we'll tell you your mix is good (assuming you actually have some sort of natural predisposition to music).
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:41 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.co.uk

Are you serios about this book?
-I don't need friends. friends are over-rated Watchwww.youtube.com

Your gonna have a tough time in this industry then, the best way to get gigs is througg networking and once you getva gig youll need people to attend to keep it, noone wants to work with someone they dont want to be around
djaction 2:14 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

lmfao acutually heeeeeeereeeee we go (i dont hide PM covos!)

Heres his input on hist critique; nothin personal kid I just feel theres alot of learning expedience to be had here

Quote:
TjDaDj 5:15 PM - 23 May, 2013
:26 :34 - read the description I had the wrong fx and admitted that

1:00 - I try not to use the sync button and they were exactly the same bpm. my computer is shitty and lags so it can be hard to get it clocked in right.

1:08 - I should've just switched in. I tried making it sound good switching out but I guess that wasn't the case

1:15- 1:24 - Should I have waited longer? I only had a limited time to be there. only 10 min. for songs I wanted to play after requests for a bunch of fucking kid music.

1:24 - using the effect actually lost MORE energy- How so?

1:42 - a this stutter was a little better
- thx

1:51 - your filter sweeps are off beat, it literally sounds like you are just discovering the FX buttons\knobs
- I can use help here

2:00 - I’m enjoying this part, coincidently you’re not touching anything at the moment
- lol fuck off

2:30 - did you just try to scratch....don’t do that again- Xone isnt meant for scratching.... never again >.<

2:34 - why was there a random backspin...you don’t backspin INTO a song you backspin OUT of a song
- Haha just felt like it

2:36 - you just started ANOTHER song off beat, more so you did it randomly in the middle of the previous songs buildup
- Off beat? these are the same BPMS! No sync required!. Shouldve started it at a different time

2:46 - did you just restart the song you brought in...don’t bring a new song in until you’re ready, you your headphones and know your music to bring it in confidently
- true but sometimes i like keeping the crowd guessing as to what's goin on/ give a preview. radio dj's do that. they go from one song to the next then go back, then forward again

2:50 - nice build up
-thx

3:20 - not exactly sure what just happened there, sounded kind of cool though, don’t know if that was you or the song, I think you just hit a cue point
-Looped it at the right time cuz i love this song

3:25 - your cue juggle was at least on beat, maybe there’s hope for you yet
-thx
3:50 - nice fader work, could be sharper but wasn’t as obnoxious as a lot of the other stuff you’re doing

4:05 - random snare drum there from where I guess you made an attempt to mix in the next track...stop half assing your mix ins
- what should I do here? i thought it was a nice spot

4:08 - nice loop roll buildup\nice use of fog with a buildup

4:17 - ...wow you fucked up your previous setup nicely, you had a great buildup which should lead in a drop of some more higher energy music but instead you switched genres\bpms and lost ALL of your energy....this is a punishable crime in some countries, you didn’t even bring in the next track with any style, you could have at least echoed out of the buildup and it would have seemed like you weren’t wandering around lost thru your set.

-My cousins prefer hip hop over edm as you can see by their reactions. I was doing it for them (im not a stingy dj. who wants to listen to electro all night?)

4:22 - you just jesus posed after a fuck up while sitting....I’ve seen it all now, either have energy or look bored pick one and stick with it
-my family practically made me sit there cuz i was standing practically all day from 3pm till almost midnight

4:58 - WTF DID YOU JUST DO!!!! One second I’m listening to E40 the next an audio apocalypse is happening
-Read the description I forgot that my little bro was here and my little cousin. No swearing for them. Needed a song with good bass and fast. Definitely my fault though

5:05 - you didn’t even TRY to mix that, it was midverse and you randomly changed not only the song but the genre, never never never do that. LEAN MUSIC THEORY, learn how songs are set up, verse chorus verse chorus. learn where the appropriate place is to mix in and out of songs, if you’re only going to play 9 words of a song you obviously don’t like it so don’t play the damn thing, also why is there a random rap track in the middle of your EDM set, it would have been ok if you let it play but you didn’t even have enough confidence in it to let it ride
-I love this advice. I shouldve switched to hip hop just once.

5:08 - are you paying attn. to your levels because your clipping here (that or it’s a horrible copy of the song)
-Got it from a friend. sounds much better on my ipod (found out the hard way)

5:20 - ...give me a sec your camera man’s trying to give me a seizure with your stage lights

-lol

5:40 - I’m really hoping this is the part of the show where you disappear when the smoke clears. Props on using your stage FX

5:49 - nope your back...fuck

5:56 - you are seriously overusing your filter sweeps, you’re playing a song that relies on its bass so why are you taking out the bass, I realize this CAN add to the mix but not when you do it every song

- true, however there aren't many effects that i have. need to get more

6:06 - what just happened, was that part of the song or are you playing someone else’s mix, it went from bass heavy to trancy song really cleanly, I was going to give you props for the mix being clean (still really out of place and still lost all your energy) but then I noticed you playing with the platter ....what’s going on here
-I was putting the song back in its original place

7:00 - there you go again trying to bring in the next song at the wrong place, then getting scared and pulling it back out, seriously let the music do what it needs to do you keep getting to the meet of the song and either ruining the energy build or the catchy part of the song by driving your next song into it. Let’s hear a damn track let it play. The into is the part of the track NOOONE wants to hear yet that’s all your playing
- very true i shouldve hot cued it later and let it play longer

7:15 - you just slam mixed out of the middle of the vocal BEFORE the drop..the best part of that particular song
-Exactly my fault. should've known

7:20 - another unexpected left turn on your musical journey, your set has NO sense of consistence, stick with a genre for a couple of songs, your all over the place
-true ill take that

7:58 - that effect worked nicely at that point (I’m assuming it was you and not the song), it was also at least kind of on beat
-not my effect

8:00 - stop trying to use FX to cover up for the fact that you don’t know what you’re doing, that previous effect sounded good but instead of using it to accentuate the song you looped it and freight trained the next song into it, and once again not even at the correct place

8:10 - nice cut outs
-thx

8:19 - dude...WHAT THE FUCK, you had a pretty little trancy build up then your shoe horning in a rap song
-My cousins love hip hop. the edm was for me. shouldve stuck to it tho

8:21 - these songs are OBVIOUSLY different keys, tempos, genres, your train wrecking and it sounds horrible, do you have ANY sense of rhythm
-I will work on that. I do need to stick to the same genre

8:30 - at least you slammed it on beat, you didn’t bring it in in the right place, it set a totally different mood but at least you realized that trying to hold that mix sounded like shit and you gave up on it

8:51 - another train wreck caused by bringing in a song with a different BPM at the wrong part of the song at least this time they had the same color
-See why I usually don't use the sync button? Fucking pointless most of the time
Quote· Report· Permalink

TjDaDj 5:24 PM - 23 May, 2013
This was a great review. I won't deny that but I think you forgot:
-Pretty harsh for my first mix. I didn't practice much at all yet (not even 20 hours worth-too much shit to do) and i freestyled. Didn't make a playlist hence- freestyle (which type of dj are u if u don't not know that?)
-Also about my career choice: I'm great with kids (oldest brother so I take care of em), i volunteer with the elderly, maintained above a 3.0 while in track/cross country in a school full of asians without being a fucking cheater. In college I'm not even getting a sports scholarship-its all based on grades (not even ethnicity scholarships-division 3 private school University of La Verne doesn't give em out anyway) even though I could run 5:00 flat mile times my first year of cross country running. So do you really challenge my career choice? I have 2 family members that are doctors and 2 that are lawyers. Plus all my teachers fucking love me. What do you do for a living? just curious. You are a funny yet logical individual. Rough on the outside yet an honest chewy center (no homo) :)

i told you this fucking kid is delusional.

even after bezzle gave him constructive criticism TJ criticizes bezzles critique and defends his "mix." awful.
phonze 2:16 PM - 24 May, 2013
In all honesty, the only thing you really really need to do is just listen to other dj's mix. I mean, good dj's. If you love djing you should have guys you listen to and try to emulate by now. Compare that to how you sound when mixing. If you can't tell what is wrong, might as well give up. Either you get it, or you don't.
Marv Incredible 2:25 PM - 24 May, 2013
I'm guessing that other beginners will be reading this thread, so I'll add this.

When listening to other DJ's mixes, try and pick those with a tracklist of tracks you know fairly well. Failing that, get hold of the original unmixed versions of the tracks for an A/B comparison.

My point being if you don't know the tracks, it won't always be so easy to figure out what the DJ is doing, especially if he is mixing them well. But if you know the tune and how it's 'supposed' to sound, you'll instantly be able to tell when a 'foreign' sound or vocal or whatever is introduced.

Providing you're listening to a good example, you should quickly get a feel for what the DJ is doing and just as importantly, what he/she is NOT doing. I wouldn't normally advocate this but if you have to, copy the mix for yourself so you can get a better feel. Then, once you have worked out the principal (and actually have some understanding of it), apply it to two more tunes and so on.
CMOS 4:51 PM - 24 May, 2013
lol reading though this today while bored at the day job.

My favorite quote is:

"My mixer only has a few effects, I need to get more"
Papa Midnight 5:36 PM - 24 May, 2013
Again...
Quote:
I couldn't even be mad with this guy if I tried...

Let me explain to you why.

You advertise that you charge $35 an hour to perform at anything 4 hours or under. Most parties run from 10-2 so you likely will not fall out of this 4 hour period. That said, you, at most, will make $140 from any gig.

(Side note: as I was typing this, you changed to say you only charge $100)

Now let's think about this.

You advertise that you'll travel anywhere within a 3 hour radius of Fullerton, CA. From this, I gather you're in the CSU Fullerton area off the 91. Let me explain to you what you just opened yourself up to. With unimpeded traffic, a 3 Hour drive from Fullerton opens you up to go as far North as Fresno, as far East as Las Vegas, and as far south as Tijuana. I made the drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles via I-15 to I-210 in just under 3 hours this past January without even speeding through San Bernadino County - a longer distance than you'll have to drive so I know it can be done.

The amount of gas you'll use to drive your advertised distance is going to easily drain every penny you make; and that's before we account for the wear and tear you will be putting on your vehicle and yourself moving equipment those distances 3 nights a week.
I hope you have budgeted in gas, oil, fluids, brakes, tires, rotors, calipers, alignments, rotations, balances, etc.; and for the distances you'll be driving, I hope you've got AAA.

As a side note, you still haven't paid any bills yet, let alone eaten.

Maybe you should think about that before saying that we're charging "an arm and a leg."

Now a lot of people here are saying you're undercutting others... making it hard for them and what not, but I don't see it that way. You do not affect my business and I don't worry about it.

Why am I not mad? How could I be? You're pimping yourself better than any promoter or bar owner I've ever seen. What's more is you're proud of it. You proudly proclaim that you are not a real DJ and that you willingly take advantage of the ignorance of others (then you toss in a slight tone of racism to top it all off), but it seems to me that the only one getting taken advantage of is you. What makes it even better is you're the one taking advantage of yourself.
Laz219 11:23 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
lol reading though this today while bored at the day job.

My favorite quote is:

"My mixer only has a few effects, I need to get more"

There must be 50 ways, to ruin a track.

I think I don't use effects often as I see infinitely more terrible examples of their use than good ones, maybe I should look up some people using them properly and it might get rid of the mentality that it's just added noise.
djnak 12:07 AM - 25 May, 2013
wow bezzle gave some solid criticism....

that was probably the realest and best thing for you if you want to be a dj....STOP...DO NOT...try and defend any part of the mix....go back listen cue up the songs and try to mix them over and over and over and over till its right.....

when you suck your pride up and check your ego and truly listen to what was said it will make you better.... the best advise I ever got was when another dj broke down a mix i made exactly like that....sure I was mad at first but he wasn't being disrespectful just truthful and ultimately made me a better dj
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:25 AM - 25 May, 2013
That shit was terrible. Slap all of your friends who enables you and said this was good. Practice or quit.
TjDaDj 3:26 AM - 25 May, 2013
So are you guys telling me that even though I get five stars in dj hero on expert that I can't dj? My hopes and dreams are crushed :(
Papa Midnight 3:57 AM - 25 May, 2013
Not sure if trolling or that was a serious question.

DJ Hero is about as equivalent to being able to actually DJ as Guitar Hero / Rock Band is to playing an actual guitar.
TjDaDj 4:04 AM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Not sure if trolling or that was a serious question.

DJ Hero is about as equivalent to being able to actually DJ as Guitar Hero / Rock Band is to playing an actual guitar.

Take that back. Don't you dare compare DJ Hero to Guitar Hero/Rock Band.... EVEEEEERRRRRR >:( that shit was hard AF
Papa Midnight 5:26 AM - 25 May, 2013
Don't?

Same publishing company for "X" Hero titles (Activision).
Same game engine (Havok).
Same product genre (Rhythm Game)
Same product line (X Hero - see: Band Hero)
Same controller style.
Same general line of products.
Same product line failure (save for Rock Band which is well on it's way there).
TjDaDj 5:44 AM - 25 May, 2013
^hee hee- took the bait.
But on a serious note i've been listening to some dj music. What do you guys think of this?:

-www.youtube.com

-youtu.be

-Watchwww.youtube.com
ninos 6:08 AM - 25 May, 2013
This got real stupid. Still funny as f tho hahaha
TjDaDj 6:31 AM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:

Who you callin stupid bub? I'm still a dj fuxing hero haterz. I dare you guys to get 5 stars on expert (not the easy shit either-the last mixes) I EARNED THAT SHIT. YOLO, YODO (you only die once), Deuces motha fuckas Watchvimeo.com ;)
DJ Reflex 7:11 AM - 25 May, 2013
Now we're just getting stupid up in this mug!
DJ Unique 7:19 AM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:

Yep
ninos 7:58 AM - 25 May, 2013
/endthread
Marv Incredible 11:17 AM - 25 May, 2013
Forgot all about DJ Hero. But that makes it worse. You mean someone can go through that whole game, reach expert level and still come out of it not knowing the first thing about mixing? smh. More DJ Zero than DJ Hero.
Papa Midnight 1:19 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
^hee hee- took the bait.

Mega stupid.
Quote:
Quote:

Who you callin stupid bub? I'm still a dj fuxing hero haterz. I dare you guys to get 5 stars on expert (not the easy shit either-the last mixes) I EARNED THAT SHIT. YOLO, YODO (you only die once), Deuces motha fuckas Watchvimeo.com ;)

Ultra Stupid.

Please go for a combo breaker and at least try to have some sense.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:53 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yep

Quote:
/endthread

Yup
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:09 PM - 25 May, 2013
I'm going to advertise some product in here to get this thread locked.
DJRemixEnt 2:32 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:

yo, at 5 o' clock, im giving away free crack. hit me up through email: [Email Link Removed]

Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 3:47 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

yo, at 5 o' clock, im giving away free crack. hit me up through email: [Email Link Removed]

Watchwww.youtube.com

I gotta admit. That was a damn good impression.
DJRemixEnt 4:10 PM - 25 May, 2013
yeah it was..lol
dj_soo 8:52 PM - 25 May, 2013
Quote:
Forgot all about DJ Hero. But that makes it worse. You mean someone can go through that whole game, reach expert level and still come out of it not knowing the first thing about mixing? smh. More DJ Zero than DJ Hero.

No different from guitar hero. Anyone who think they can learn to play guitar through that game is dumber than a box of hammers
DJMark 11:21 PM - 25 May, 2013
Thread lesson:

Children can be a real bore.
Papa Midnight 8:19 AM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

No different from guitar hero. Anyone who think they can learn to play guitar through that game is dumber than a box of hammers

i.imgur.com
DJ GaFFle 12:05 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Here's my critique-

1. STOP MIXING OUT OF KEY!!! If you're mixing a lot of house, which i heard in the first 5 minutes of the video...

I didn't hear a single House song in his entire set. What I did hear was a lot of Electro/EDM crap.
DJRemixEnt 12:54 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Here's my critique-

1. STOP MIXING OUT OF KEY!!! If you're mixing a lot of house, which i heard in the first 5 minutes of the video...

I didn't hear a single House song in his entire set. What I did hear was a lot of Electro/EDM crap.

the critiquer got critiqued
eder 1:19 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's my critique-

the critiquer got critiqued

semantics.
DJRemixEnt 1:31 PM - 26 May, 2013
i cant believe outta all people, Bezzle took the time to write that Novel of a critique... i think he's gettin soft...lol
DJ GaFFle 3:14 PM - 26 May, 2013
Yeah, That Was A Little In Depth... I Don't Have That Much Free Time.

(NM)
Dj R. Driver 5:07 PM - 26 May, 2013
here is my review....

utter shit.

that was 2 words 2 much.

peace out
DJ LIL M 6:58 PM - 26 May, 2013
i like turtles
Papa Midnight 7:02 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
i like turtles

i.qkme.me
foereal 9:33 PM - 26 May, 2013
don't know about your mix but this post is at 6.35 right now
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:58 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
i cant believe outta all people, Bezzle took the time to write that Novel of a critique... i think he's gettin soft...lol

I like to think of myself as an asset to the dj community, most of the time that means serving as court jester but i honestly enjoy passing on my knowledge and helping the next gen grow....but in all honesty this instance was more of a social experiment, he obvioisly posted expecting praise and of course raged against anyone who didnt agree as a hater pretending he wanted advice, so i gave him the legit rundown he asked for and he didnt dissappoint, instead of taking the advice he agreed on the positive aspects and defended the negative.

I tryed to fill his cup with knowledge but his cup wasfull, in order to learn he must first empty his cup.

As much of an asshole the forum believes i am i really only give it where its due, i take no pleasure in clownin someone whos truly ready to learn so i gotta test the waters.

Oh and im really really high right now lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:00 PM - 26 May, 2013
Btw at the moment it seems like the entire forums trying to out bezzle each other,i dont compete against my own act lol ;P
DJRemixEnt 10:16 PM - 26 May, 2013
Quote:
Btw at the moment it seems like the entire forums trying to out bezzle each other,i dont compete against my own act lol ;P

lol
Dj R. Driver 10:18 PM - 26 May, 2013
ooohh oohhh do me next bezzle
DJMark 1:58 AM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
As much of an asshole the forum believes i am

I've never believed that for a second.
ninos 3:32 AM - 27 May, 2013
Lol bezzle
Terreance 8:44 AM - 27 May, 2013
Tj

Keep trying bro. I don't know what kind of set you were playing for but there is alot of EDM going on. Everyone has to start and DJing takes practice. As we all strive to get better, don't let anyone knock you off your love for music. Here are a few suggesstions:

1) Don't use so much EFX. It takes away from the song and should be used sparingly. Great tool for transitions between tracks or to get a little personalized with your mixes but not all the time.

2) Stand up! Even if you are not doing alot of tricks and such being up and behind your equipment can mean alot in performance.

3) Mixing. The foundation of DJing. Learn to make sets. Learn what bpms are good to match with various music. Just because the bpms are the same for different tracks doesn't mean they are going to sound good together.

4) Put some popularity into it. Mix some songs that you know the people like. Its good to try new stuff but mix it in with popular stuff to keep everyone going and guessing. You can always transition a new track or unheard of track if mixed properly and normally mixed with something everyone knows.

5) Once you get the mixing down, then start some tricks. I noticed that you were trying to beat juggle a little but its not good if your mixing isn't solid.

No need to rush with the tricks. If you have good music selection and mix well then the tricks will come in time. The most important part is to keep the crowd hype and the heads bobbin.

Stay up and keep pushin.
TjDaDj 9:26 AM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I like to think of myself as an asset to the dj community, most of the time that means serving as court jester but i honestly enjoy passing on my knowledge and helping the next gen grow....but in all honesty this instance was more of a social experiment, he obvioisly posted expecting praise and of course raged against anyone who didnt agree as a hater pretending he wanted advice, so i gave him the legit rundown he asked for and he didnt dissappoint, instead of taking the advice he agreed on the positive aspects and defended the negative.

I tryed to fill his cup with knowledge but his cup wasfull, in order to learn he must first empty his cup.

As much of an asshole the forum believes i am i really only give it where its due, i take no pleasure in clownin someone whos truly ready to learn so i gotta test the waters.

What? I was not expecting praise. Lol i was expecting 4-7 range but hey I loved your input bezzle. You have gained my respect and forced me to rethink what a true dj is. I was talking to some family members today who i just found out are old veteran djs (he still has his techniq 1200's). What i found out is that my main problem is looking at the bpm. I shouldnt do that bcuz the software isnt right 100% of the time. I need to shut my ass in my room AND FIGURE IT OUT OLD SCHOOL haha.
TjDaDj 9:41 AM - 27 May, 2013
quote]Tj

Keep trying bro. I don't know what kind of set you were playing for but there is alot of EDM going on. Everyone has to start and DJing takes practice. As we all strive to get better, don't let anyone knock you off your love for music. Here are a few suggesstions:

1) Don't use so much EFX. It takes away from the song and should be used sparingly. Great tool for transitions between tracks or to get a little personalized with your mixes but not all the time.

2) Stand up! Even if you are not doing alot of tricks and such being up and behind your equipment can mean alot in performance.

3) Mixing. The foundation of DJing. Learn to make sets. Learn what bpms are good to match with various music. Just because the bpms are the same for different tracks doesn't mean they are going to sound good together.

4) Put some popularity into it. Mix some songs that you know the people like. Its good to try new stuff but mix it in with popular stuff to keep everyone going and guessing. You can always transition a new track or unheard of track if mixed properly and normally mixed with something everyone knows.

5) Once you get the mixing down, then start some tricks. I noticed that you were trying to beat juggle a little but its not good if your mixing isn't solid.

No need to rush with the tricks. If you have good music selection and mix well then the tricks will come in time. The most important part is to keep the crowd hype and the heads bobbin.

Stay up and keep pushin.

-thx ur right. I still need to get the basics down b4 movin on.

Btw when is serato or even traktor making new controllers? If i sell my xone I might invest in the vestax vci 380/400 or kontrol s2/4 but I dont wanna do it if something new might come out soon. Any 1 know the deal on the next possible controllers?
Laz219 9:50 AM - 27 May, 2013
They never stop making them, because they are disposable.
As I said before, just keep using what you already have until you can use it well. Rather than worrying about equipment.
Esco... 10:58 AM - 27 May, 2013
What? I was not expecting praise. Lol i was expecting 4-7 range but hey I loved your input bezzle. You have gained my respect and forced me to rethink what a true dj is. I was talking to some family members today who i just found out are old veteran djs (he still has his techniq 1200's). What i found out is that my main problem is looking at the bpm. I shouldnt do that bcuz the software isnt right 100% of the time. I need to shut my ass in my room AND FIGURE IT OUT OLD SCHOOL haha.

If this is real, you have my +1. It's more than just BPM, but you are taking a step in the right direction.
DJRemixEnt 11:20 AM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
i was expecting 4-7 range

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
phonze 2:20 PM - 27 May, 2013
It's definitely not just you looking at the bpm that's the problem. 99.9 percent of the time the software is right anyway. The problem is your cueing, transitions, fading, just overall feel for the music is entirely off. I don't really have any advice for something this bad other then listen to professional dj mixes and try and emulate what they do.
Jesus Christ 2:48 PM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
Lol i was expecting 4-7 range...

i.minus.com
DJ Reflex 3:35 PM - 27 May, 2013
214 posts and we are still working on this issue?!?

What does it take?
DJRemixEnt 4:02 PM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Lol i was expecting 4-7 range...

i.minus.com

lmao

Quote:
214 posts and we are still working on this issue?!?

What does it take?

after that horrible performance and Bezzle's detailed critique....dude writes this:
Quote:
You have gained my respect and forced me to rethink what a true dj is.

followed by this:
Quote:
What i found out is that my main problem is looking at the bpm

the you know for sure, it's gonna take a hell of a lot.
Papa Midnight 4:04 PM - 27 May, 2013
Sigh... lost cause. Untracking.
DJRemixEnt 4:20 PM - 27 May, 2013
and from what ive been observing, it seems like the kid just wants to dj for the "cool factor".

it's so easy nowdays to get a controller for your birthday or buy a used one on craigslist...get some pirated music... and duct tape the "DJ" titile onto yourself.

same thing with the whole "im goin to medical school" rant... i bet if it were just as easy to go onto craigslist and buy a whole wall of medical books, a white robe, a stethoscope and a reflex hammer.... you'd prolly be calling yourself a doctor by now and plastering facebook with claims of being a seasoned brain surgeon.

but im willing to bet your whole "im going to medical school" rant is more for the "wow factor" of trying to sound really smart and intelligent....because we all know you cant fake the funk of being a real life Doogie Howser.
TjDaDj 5:20 PM - 27 May, 2013
Esco u are right i need to work on everything. Looking at the beat is my biggest problem tho bcuz thats the main component of mixing right? if i cant do that- might as well do nothing at all-just quit. Ive noticed that sometimes the beat "doubles" and i cant have that. No dj should ever let that happen.

And remix im sorry for my venting rant. That was unnecessary and childish of me. I apologize. No way am i a Doogie Howser. itll take a long time b4 i actually even dream of being that good. And no i dont do this for the "cool factor". I want to keep my equipment and improve even if i dont play for any1 else- i quit video games for this man. AND I LOVE VIDEO GAMES!
Jesus Christ 5:21 PM - 27 May, 2013
Quote:
and from what ive been observing, it seems like the kid just wants to dj for the "cool factor".

Which is what I said in the 56th post.
TjDaDj 5:21 PM - 27 May, 2013
Have a happy memorial weekend every1:)
Even you jesus christ lol nice link
Chrisjin 6:17 PM - 27 May, 2013
apeironentertainment 4:58 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
Esco u are right i need to work on everything. Looking at the beat is my biggest problem tho bcuz thats the main component of mixing right? if i cant do that- might as well do nothing at all-just quit. Ive noticed that sometimes the beat "doubles" and i cant have that. No dj should ever let that happen.

what does that even mean? the beat doubling?

Pls get off the internet and go practice. You are making everyone upset. And you don't want to upset these people. equalizermag.com
TjDaDj 5:44 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Pls get off the internet and go practice. You are making everyone upset. And you don't want to upset these people. equalizermag.com

such a fail. this didn't even happen -_-
whiteraverrafting.com
Jesus Christ 6:03 AM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

whiteraverrafting.com

If you were smarter (which is obviously not the case), you'd realize that the whole EqualizerMag website is a troll! Back to practice now... go on. Shoo!!!
DJ GaFFle 1:25 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
ooohh oohhh do me next bezzle

No misquote needed.

(nm)
Papa Midnight 1:26 PM - 28 May, 2013
I don't know what the hell compelled me to look at this post again...

Quote:

it's so easy nowdays to get a controller for your birthday or buy a used one on craigslist...get some pirated music... and duct tape the "DJ" titile onto yourself.

Now let's not even blame controllers. After all, those are CDJ's he's using. It's not about the equipment, it's the person. I've seen plenty a terrible "DJ" with SL-1200's and 1210's, and as you just saw, there are those with CDJs too. It has nothing to do with the prevalence of controllers. Second hand equipment can be had just as easily - ironically via craigslist usually - that is, what you don't mooch from your parents (as is the case here).

Quote:
Quote:

1) It means nothing, but I'd bet it has to do with him riding the waveforms and having difficulty with 70BPM vs 140BPM.
2) Clearly, riding the waveforms if NOT your biggest problem. Bezzle pretty much nailed everything you need to look at. Looking at waveforms doesn't even come remotely close to being your biggest problem.

Quote:

1) Why is he making you upset (I think we, as DJ's know what "everyone" means by now)? For reasons I've outlined before, I couldn't be upset with him if I tried.
2) You realize that the entirety of that website is fake right?

Quote:
If you were smarter (which is obviously not the case), you'd realize that the whole EqualizerMag website is a troll! Back to practice now... go on. Shoo!!!

Not sure if JC directed that at apeironentertainment or TjDaDj...
Dj Knockout101 4:35 PM - 28 May, 2013
Read the forum briefly and watched the video briefly. I don't think anyone was bashing you for one. Especially with the first five comments as you state. Part of growing as a DJ is listening to yourself and correcting you own actions. Almost like a drug addict getting off drugs. They need to admit there is a problem. Action did what was right what do you feel about the mix. You have yet to answer that question. Based off the responses you made I am guessing you don't like them yourself as you state you DJ'd for free at those parties so you screwed up intentionally. DJing for free, cheap or expensive always do your best. I personally would recommend you to listen and watch many videos and radio station DJ mix and learn. Stop DJing live until you get your act together. Also don't sit as a DJ. You lose lots of respect as it is using a controller rather than turntables and even more for just sitting the whole party. Its almost like you are inviting you audience to sit with you. Brief advise I can continue on.
Jesus Christ 5:13 PM - 28 May, 2013
Papamidnight,

I was referring to BjDaDj since he felt it was necessary to point out that the article was fake.
Quote:
whiteraverrafting.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:28 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:

Now THAT explains a lot...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:34 PM - 28 May, 2013
Obvious troll is obvious
dj_soo 10:48 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
1) It means nothing, but I'd bet it has to do with him riding the waveforms and having difficulty with 70BPM vs 140BPM.

i'm pretty sure he's just trainwrecking and has no idea what that means since he thinks just having the tracks in the same bpm readout means it much be beatmatched.
Dj AR1 11:53 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't grade the camera work or my small a** room setting for the video I already know it's sh*tty (just grade the mix itself):
Watchwww.youtube.com

why r u even seating down?
to be a starter, you doing fine. but make sure the lazy goes away, theres a lot of us that carry a lot, a lot of equipment and we still dj and practice all night standing.
TjDaDj 7:18 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

why r u even seating down?
to be a starter, you doing fine. but make sure the lazy goes away, theres a lot of us that carry a lot, a lot of equipment and we still dj and practice all night standing.

I never dj sitting except in my first video. I ran 8 miles that day, did a lot of pushups/situps, so was already tired b4 the party. Then I myself lifted my equipment. I djd from about 4 pm to midnight standing. Then i sat (when nearly no one was there). I will take your advice however and make sure that I don't sit even when I'm that tired.
TjDaDj 7:28 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

i'm pretty sure he's just trainwrecking and has no idea what that means since he thinks just having the tracks in the same bpm readout means it much be beatmatched.

-Dj_Soo you nailed it. From the start my mixes are not even on beat. I have been practicing with this and have been counting now in my head to change the beat to how I see fit. Once again-thanks for the advice. I might post another video after this summer (possibly with vestax vci 400's if i sell my xone dx). I might be able to get professional help at a club (just turned 18 today)

Quote Papa Midnight: Now let's not even blame controllers. After all, those are CDJ's he's using. It's not about the equipment, it's the person. I've seen plenty a terrible "DJ" with SL-1200's and 1210's, and as you just saw, there are those with CDJs too. It has nothing to do with the prevalence of controllers. Second hand equipment can be had just as easily - ironically via craigslist usually - that is, what you don't mooch from your parents (as is the case here).

-I do not own cdjs. And I also am paying for my own equipment. I do admit that I am not good right now but can do A LOT BETTER IF I PRACTICE. My main goal this summer is to mix well with these before moving on to vestax vci 400's. What do you guys know about that unit btw?
ral 7:59 PM - 29 May, 2013
i have the vci400 - www.ustream.tv
yes im sittin' in a couch, using autosync, and no headphones - forgive me ssl djs for i have sinned :)

just browse the serato dj vestax area and serato dj area for issues

still, you need to practice with whatever gadget you decide to choose - and make sure you're havin' fun
Chrisjin 10:32 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:

I ran 8 miles that day, did a lot of pushups/situps, so was already tired b4 the party. Then I myself lifted my equipment. I djd from about 4 pm to midnight standing. Then i sat (when nearly no one was there).

wow, I have a feeling this forum just got trolled
DJ Unique 11:32 PM - 29 May, 2013
Quote:
........just turned 18 today........

Happy 18th Birthday.
Get back to practicing, or more importantly to directing your energy towards your medical career.
Dj R. Driver 12:35 AM - 30 May, 2013
lol love the smoke in you bed room. lmfao
DJRemixEnt 12:50 AM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
lol love the smoke in you bed room. lmfao

haha... i said the same thing when i saw it... shit had me rollin
Dj R. Driver 3:22 AM - 30 May, 2013
funny as shit, if i did that at my moms crib, id get the chancla.

from urban dictionary lol

chancla:
is a flip flop used by a mexican female to beat their child or husband for doing something that angers her.

www.urbandictionary.com
DJ Reflex 4:14 AM - 30 May, 2013
LOL
djaction 4:31 AM - 30 May, 2013
Informative video:

Watchwww.youtube.com
djnak 8:44 AM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
having the tracks in the same bpm readout means it much be beatmatched.

OOOH LAWD!!! I had to dj with a guy who thought that that exact same thing....I kept leaving the booth when he was spinning lol.....

the first little while i just stared dumbfounded like why did you change the pitch if your gonna slowly drag the fader across off beat anyways
Laz219 8:45 AM - 30 May, 2013
Really shows how little some of these people know about music, if they can't comprehend the difference.
TjDaDj 10:41 AM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I ran 8 miles that day, did a lot of pushups/situps, so was already tired b4 the party. Then I myself lifted my equipment. I djd from about 4 pm to midnight standing. Then i sat (when nearly no one was there).

I'm a cross country runner. I've even done 12 miles non-stop in big bear before. Damn it was hard as fuck. Nearly passed out.

Lol Dj Action: Wanna know if you're mexican?
Watchwww.youtube.com (btw my bro's friend is this guy's brother)
DJRemixEnt 11:16 AM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
Informative video:

Watchwww.youtube.com

ROTFL
DJRemixEnt 11:19 AM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm a cross country runner. I've even done 12 miles non-stop in big bear before. Damn it was hard as fuck. Nearly passed out.

Lol Dj Action: Wanna know if you're mexican?
Watchwww.youtube.com (btw my bro's friend is this guy's brother)

omg... im fuckin dyin over here.
DJ Reflex 2:04 PM - 30 May, 2013
Does La Chancla work for crappy DJs? We might need a brick or something heavier for some of these hacks.
Dj R. Driver 2:40 PM - 30 May, 2013
new Dj name for someone who brings "whats should I pick for a dj name.

Dj La Chancla
DJ Unique 6:36 PM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Informative video:

Watchwww.youtube.com

ROTFL

Damn it!!!
There's no hiding my lemon tree or cactus in my back yard.
CMOS 8:08 PM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:

chancla:

is a flip flop used by a mexican female to beat their child or husband for doing something that angers her.

www.urbandictionary.com

Ive never heard of anyone holding the chancla, ive only seen its deadly cousin the "Unbelievably Accurate Flying Chancla"
Dj R. Driver 10:54 PM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

chancla:

www.urbandictionary.com

Ive never heard of anyone holding the chancla, ive only seen its deadly cousin the "Unbelievably Accurate Flying Chancla"

Dj Flying Chancha
DJRemixEnt 1:33 AM - 31 May, 2013
got dizzam... 252 messages...lol
DJRemixEnt 1:14 PM - 25 June, 2013
TjDaDj 10:26 AM - 14 October, 2013
;)
John McC 12:08 AM - 2 November, 2013
Quote:

That's just about every forum that's ever existed on the internet bro. I'm a beginner too, but to answer your original Q... 3/10, and I'm only giving you that because it seems like you have decent taste in music. It could be worse but you need to understand the basics of beat matching and that's only the beginning.

You gotta figure out when to bring in a new song based on what the previous one is doing, learn how to mix harmonically, scratch and chop up songs on the fly and most importantly (I think) read a crowd and learn when a certain song/ style just isn't working.

Keep working at it if you enjoy it!
John McC 12:19 AM - 2 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Can I get some of that change? I am broke AF!
TjDaDj 1:20 PM - 6 November, 2013
John McC it's been a few months now. I'm getting better. Producing my own beats soon. Check out my Soundcloud :P criticism is expected and appreciated as long as it helps.

soundcloud.com
TjDaDj 1:44 PM - 6 November, 2013
Still. I expected more maturity from "adults". I thought the serato community was supposed to help each other out positively. Music does move me. I hate being around people. I quarantine myself. Music and memories are the only things that stay with me. People drop in and out of my life... can't trust em
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:08 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Still. I expected more maturity from "adults". I thought the serato community was supposed to help each other out positively. Music does move me. I hate being around people. I quarantine myself. Music and memories are the only things that stay with me. People drop in and out of my life... can't trust em

Butthurt party of one....butthurt party of one your tables ready
the_black_one 3:10 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Take a shower , brush your teeth and stop playing video games

NM NH
TjDaDj 3:36 PM - 6 November, 2013
niggas talk more than bitches these days :) bunch of pussies behind computer screens
TjDaDj 3:37 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

I get more pussy than you do. I have girls from across the world that admire my work. I can probably bench more than you do.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:48 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Do you even lift bro??
I get more pussy than you do. I have girls from across the world that admire my work. I can probably bench more than you do.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:49 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Do you even lift bro?
TjDaDj 3:51 PM - 6 November, 2013
I workout everyday. I can bench over 250 pounds even though i weigh 145. Strong like my old man ;) workin on a six pack too. Had to deactivate my social networks. Too many thirsty hoes tryin to talk to me :P
TjDaDj 3:52 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Do you even lift bro?

I started lifting years ago
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:14 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
I workout everyday. I can bench over 250 pounds even though i weigh 145. Strong like my old man ;) workin on a six pack too. Had to deactivate my social networks. Too many thirsty hoes tryin to talk to me :P

We dont believe you, you need more people!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:14 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

Do you even lift bro?

I started lifting years ago

Think you could beat me in arm wrestling?
DJ Mozo 4:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
I feel like.. having to list your attributes of your supposed "accomplishments" and constantly seeking the approval of the forum on everything you do.. and then talking smack back on those same people, just isn't the way to go about getting on people's good side..

Check out my soundcloud... but eff you if you think its bad or give me any kind of constructive criticism or anything thats not positive...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:39 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

Think you could beat me in arm wrestling?

You KNOW that's not fair....

You and that internet porn - > Watchwww.youtube.com
ninos 5:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
Lol
Jesus Christ 5:33 PM - 6 November, 2013
It started off great...

Quote:
John McC it's been a few months now. I'm getting better. Producing my own beats soon. Check out my Soundcloud :P criticism is expected and appreciated as long as it helps.

soundcloud.com

It went to shit quickly...
Quote:
niggas talk more than bitches these days :) bunch of pussies behind computer screens

It escalated to laughable and ridiculous in a heartbeat...
Quote:

You have obvious self-esteem issues...
Quote:

In closing, it's pretty obvious that your daddy never loved you and you are clamoring for his attention. He probably even touches you while you're sleeping. I mean... I'm no psychologist, but I'm taking an educated guess. Also, you're a virgin and quite possibly gay. Not that there is anything wrong with either scenario. But you ain't gotta lie to kick it. Your momma probably gave you everything you wanted because she felt guilty about not stopping the molestation. That's why you have this feeling that no one can kick your ass. I've been fighting ever since I first walked to school by myself. It's a fucked up world. I have learned in my many years of experience (in life and in learning to defend myself) that it's the most unlikely person standing in front of you that will knock your teeth down your throat. So... it's probably better not to be a e-thug and just be happy with yourself. I hope this helped. Feel free to use your tears as lubrication while you sit in the corner and masturbate. We still care about you as a person.
Papa Midnight 5:34 PM - 6 November, 2013
J.C., any chance you want to give some input on this topic: serato.com
the_black_one 5:35 PM - 6 November, 2013
^LMFAO!!!!
TjDaDj 8:19 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
It started off great...

Quote:

soundcloud.com

It went to shit quickly...
Quote:

It escalated to laughable and ridiculous in a heartbeat...
Quote:

You have obvious self-esteem issues...
Quote:

In closing, it's pretty obvious that your daddy never loved you and you are clamoring for his attention. He probably even touches you while you're sleeping. I mean... I'm no psychologist, but I'm taking an educated guess. Also, you're a virgin and quite possibly gay. Not that there is anything wrong with either scenario. But you ain't gotta lie to kick it. Your momma probably gave you everything you wanted because she felt guilty about not stopping the molestation. That's why you have this feeling that no one can kick your ass. I've been fighting ever since I first walked to school by myself. It's a fucked up world. I have learned in my many years of experience (in life and in learning to defend myself) that it's the most unlikely person standing in front of you that will knock your teeth down your throat. So... it's probably better not to be a e-thug and just be happy with yourself. I hope this helped. Feel free to use your tears as lubrication while you sit in the corner and masturbate. We still care about you as a person.

I used to have self esteem issues. My father is abusive. My mother is a kind woman she's one of the few people I trust. I'm going to join the airforce and get a computer science degree. I've been high and drunk. I've contemplated suicide (some people agreed that I should commit because they don't value life and would rather bully me). I'm a virgin because I don't trust women. A few are already talking about fucking raw dog. No thanks. I don't need kids. My first girlfriend got clingy so I cut off the relationship. Go ahead and fight me bitches I've had fucking plently. I have friends in the game and strapped but I'm a man. I don't need to join a gang. Do I fear death? No. I'm going to stop tracking this thread. If you feel the need to meet me for whatever reason my contact info is on my profile page. I've learned that the internet is not necessary. Most people would rather just talk shit. I don't trust or look up to anyone anymore. In the end I care about myself the most. Then family. God over everything.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:57 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
God Flying Spaghetti Monster over everything

fixed
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:01 PM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
God Flying Spaghetti Monster over everything

fixed

Ramen my brother
Jesus Christ 11:56 PM - 6 November, 2013
Ummm....

Quote:

Quote:
I'm a virgin because I don't trust women...

I... ummm... oh never mind!!!

nm
DJ GaFFle 12:06 AM - 7 November, 2013
You See It All On This Forum! (NM)
ninos 8:49 AM - 7 November, 2013
Hahahaha just waiting for this one to get shut down
DJ Mozo 4:06 PM - 7 November, 2013
I though TJ was gonna be a doctor? Or was that WillG?

I can't be expected to keep all the facts straight on both of those guys lol..
Caley Martin 6:35 PM - 7 November, 2013
:: eats popcorn ::
DJ Mozo 6:46 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

Orville Redenbacher?
Caley Martin 12:23 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Orville Redenbacher?

Extra Paulabeetus.
Dj R. Driver 12:56 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DAMMAAA YOU HAVE JUST OFFICIALLY GOT A NEW ASS HOLE RIPPED LOL
DJ Reflex 3:17 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:

We still talking about WillG? Nice!
DJ Mozo 4:06 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

We still talking about WillG? Nice!

I just wasn't sure which was which ..lol.. Both of those threads happened around the same time right?
Jesus Christ 4:16 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Nope... Tj is the aspiring doctor. Apparently, he's now going to be a Doctor of computer science in the Air Force. He's VERY motivated. :D
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:24 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope... Tj is the aspiring doctor. Apparently, he's now going to be a Doctor of computer science in the Air Force. He's VERY motivated. :D

A regular renisance man
DJ Mozo 8:54 PM - 8 November, 2013
I feel like everything TJ says is a lie!!! Why would you lie to us TJ?!?! All we ever did was care..

Maybe even his mixes are a lie?!? Are you borrowing somones mixes and putting them as your own?!?! Is your real name even TJ?! Is Darth Vader really Luke's father?!?! Will that pesky Sylvester ever catch that Tweedy bird?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHh
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:02 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
I feel like everything TJ says is a lie!!! Why would you lie to us TJ?!?! All we ever did was care..

Maybe even his mixes are a lie?!? Are you borrowing somones mixes and putting them as your own?!?! Is your real name even TJ?! Is Darth Vader really Luke's father?!?! Will that pesky Sylvester ever catch that Tweedy bird?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHh

Look what your lies did to mozo TJ......LOOOK AT WHAT YOUR LIES HAVE DONE TO OUT DJ FAM......LOOOOOK AT HIM TJ LOOOOOOOOK AAAAATTTTT HIIIIIIMMMMM!!!!!
DJ LIL M 4:18 AM - 9 November, 2013
yall done brought that back alive lmao
apeironentertainment 4:50 AM - 11 November, 2013
Poor kid...

You guys shoulda taken it a little easier on him. We were all teenagers and wanting to fit in at some point in our lives...

If your still there TJ I checked out your Soundcloud and you are making progress, we all sucked at one point in our lives, but we put our heads down, acknowledged it, and worked hard to get where we are today. You're still young. Do the same. Shut your mouth, don't look for acknowledgement that you are skilled. You aren't. No one is when they first start out. It takes years of dedication and hard work, but if these guys can do it, so can you. Come back in a couple years (not weeks, not months, years) and show these guys what you've become. Good luck TJ, I'll be looking for you in the future.